[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
That Guy Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: ThatGuy.png (271 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ThatGuy.png
271 KB, 500x375
>Old-school Dungeons & Dragons
>10-level dungeon underneath a fiendish temple
>Party of four: a precocious boy wizard raised by gypsies; a cowardly gentleman technologist; a reckless dwarf warrior with no self-control; and That Guy, a mysterious brooding sociopathic assassin
>Campaign goes on for many weeks, party explores the dungeon. Players develop their character's unique ticks.
>Boy wizard becomes a master manipulator and magnificent bastard
>Gentleman technologist's signature move: using steam-powered jetpack to escape from anything remotely threatening
>Reckless dwarf drinks, gets drunk, kicks down doors, kills monsters
>Edgelord assassin knifes anything that moves and keeps the victims' eyes as a trophy.

>At the bottom of the dungeon is Fenrir, guarding a portal
>Party can't kill a wolf-god, they run for the portal
>Teleported to Barsoom. Part 2 of the campaign, everyone's crazy strong and can jump like John Carter
>Reckless dwarf dies after Leeroy Jenkins charge at a small ARMY of green Tharks

Then, sweet comeuppance:

>Party does the Princess of Mars thing, saves the world, back to "Earth"
>They have to visit the underworld to resurrect the dwarf. Meet Charon, board the ferry across the River Styx
>Only, the boat won't move.
>Eyeless souls in the river holding it back.
>That Guy literally in tears as his character has to dump his bag of trophy eyeballs into the river to move the game along.
>>
>>43874363
How was that That Guy? Keeping the eyes didn't seem too out of place. That just seems like the DM being clever and hooking in something the character did.
>>
>>43874457

>How was that That Guy? Keeping the eyes didn't seem too out of place.

Keeping body parts from victims in a game where you can't use them to make potions is *always* That Guy behavior.
>>
>>43874506
Or for bounties, but that is often poorly thought out and edgy too.
>>
>>43874506
Nah
>>
>>43874506
I do it with my barbarian just to keep track of some of the cool stuff he's killed. I draw the line at anything really sapient though.
>>
>>43874506
Really? It didn't seem too noteworthy. Plus from what you said it seems to be the only thing iffy he did.

>Old-school Dungeons & Dragons
>Thief character takes trophies from enemies as a character quirk
>Later on, the DM has him use those trophies as part of a puzzle

It's really not that weird.
>>
>>43874363
WEE-WOO fun police

Seriously, some people have fun with different characters to you. Stop being a d-bag.
>>
I see nothing wrong this this, that's kind of a fun moment in my opinion. OP is as always, a faggot.
>>
>>43874506
what better way to remember an interesting event than to look at your characters equipment and see "incubus dong" written down?
But in all seriousness, keeping trophies can help people to remember interesting events or battles in the game.
>>
>>43874363

>"Body parts of slain enemies have sometimes served as trophies since antiquity, in a practice called human trophy collecting."
-from Wiki

How is taking trophies such a "that guy" move? Sure enough, claiming the eyes of his victims and not the dong of a well fought foe is beyond me, but still. Seems more likely that the DM needs to drop the 2015 morale handbook and get in tune with the game.
>>
Oh this one guy made me quit TTRPGS entirely for almost three full years
>Be forever GM
>4 players that regularly come to table.
>Mr.Yes man. Kind of socially awkward and agrees to everything if he doesn't know what's going on. Never plays the same character twice.
>Snack man who always brings chips/soda/pizza on the way over out of habit. Plays wizards most of the time.
>Shy but great role player girl who always seems to play Paladins
>ThatGuy who always played either a barbarian or an artificer. His characters were either super smart or dumb as a 5-year old. Had a degree in physics and tried to always weasel it into games to try and give himself the advantage.
>Game is going along just fine. Party is nearly reaching the climax of the barbarian's backstory arc.
>Everyone is excited to play and he even calls me and tells me he's extremely excited for the game.
>Day of the game he doesn't show up.
>Won't answer his cell, email, Skype, anything. Complete radio silence for two days.
>I get a call from his wife on the third day.
>He got into a severe car accident on the way to the game. Later found out it was a speeding 18-wheeler that did him in.
>He wouldn't have been on the road if he wasn't going to my game. He'd be at home watching TV and playing with his kids.
>My dumb game killed the father of two young girls and a loving wife.
>Fall into depression. Start drinking hard.
>Eventually try to join another game but the memory just drives me away
>After 6 months of therapy I can finally play my favorite hobby again without being reminded.
>>
>>43875102
I came into here to be mad, not sad.
>>
>>43875102
Damn. Did this actually happen?
>>
>>43875102
Holy shit... I was not expecting that.
>>
>>43874363
>dwarves and wolf-gods exist in the setting
>Real-world religions exist and a PC was raised in one

That's an interesting setting, OP.
>>
>playing a cleric
>former hooker, quit after the brothel burned down by wizards
>nobody in the party knows my real name, keeping it secret
>Mr.bigs the cleric
>GM has an idea, sidetracks us to find my friends/coworkers murderers
>intense fighting, killing, searching etc
>finally we find the murderers, assassins hired by the king
>investigate further, the assassins were after the true heir
>everyone gets that look on our faces like wtf gm..thats dumb
>fight our way through the shadows, and reach the king
>"overcome by grief you charge the king and strike him down"

>wut.jpg
>you have slain the king in cold blood
>whyudodisGM
>everyone panicking, guards everywhere
>everyone subdued and beaten
>my character stands up
>my loyal stupid allies...."kill them"

>GM kills everyone, i unwillingly become king and campaign ends

Everyone there: " way to be that guy"
>>
>>43875302
They never found out who the driver was. If I wasn't busy later in the day and had it in the morning he would have not gotten killed. A little Google found an article about it.
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/2014/05/21/2329016/
>>
>>43875345
>"overcome by grief you charge the king and strike him down"
>"No I don't."
>>
>>43874660
Same.
>>
File: BARSOOM.jpg (285 KB, 912x1200) Image search: [Google]
BARSOOM.jpg
285 KB, 912x1200
>>43874363
I fail to see a problem. Characters seem interesting, setting seems pretty cool, I mean you get to fucking go to barsoom and fight fenrir. To top it all off going across the river sticks and having soulless eyes was a nice touch. 8/10 would campaign.
>>
>>43875102
Can't image how that felt,

How did you deal with everyone constantly telling you it wasn't your fault?
>>
>>43875302
>implying a green text store ever happened
Dude, it isn't summer. Inexcusable.
>>
>>43875102
>not dishing out for a Resurrection

At least one That Guy detected.
>>
>>43874506
I de-teethed an orc in my current campaign and as far as i know i am only 1/7 parts That Guy.
>>
>>43875337
Is this the dumbest post on /tag/ right now?
>>
>>43875464
I tried to take comfort in that, but I always remembered that he wouldn't have even been OUT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE if my stupid game wasn't scheduled so early.
>>
>>43875518
My barbarian took ears, but that was mostly for bounties. Had necklaces of the things when he returned to outposts that would pay for the party's budget.

Latest character is a deranged Not-Romani puppeteer that sometimes takes shit, but most of the time he just poses the corpses as dioramas.
>>
>>43875565

What's helped you deal with it, then?
Religion? Acceptance?
>>
>>43874506
>>43874506
I disagree. There was a one-shot where I played a half-orc ranger who scalped all the enemies he killed. The rest of the group started joking about it, and it became a pretty fun running gag that culminated with him scalping the Eldrich Abomination bbeg.

Seriously, taking trophies from defeated enemies is a concept as old as time. Just because some people do it poorly doesn't mean it can't be done well.
>>
le judgy /tg/ "no yuo are da guy" meme
>>
File: HMS.jpg (90 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
HMS.jpg
90 KB, 706x674
>>43875831
'Tis good of you to grace us with your presense, your majesty.

May I relocate your picture at the top of the thread?

>>43874363
He aint really "That Guy" unless he refused to go with it entirely. If he did give in eventually, he's just a bit of a crybabby.
>>
>>43875713
Acceptance. If I let this kill my life then that means I've killed two people and not one. I found forgiveness from the wife and he kids are too young to understand.
>>
>>43876067

Good on you, then.
>>
>>43874506

>My Wild Elf barbarian can't take the skulls of worthy kills
>My glory-seeker Fighter can't take fangs, claws, scales or stingers from the monsters he's slain to boast about them in the local tavern
>Can't have my shapeshifter Druid have totems made of fur, bone and leather
>My bounty hunter can't take the heads/ears/hands of enemies as proof of kill.

Why are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>43875102
The universe works in weird, chaotic, and coincidental ways. Don't beat yourself up too much anon. Good to hear you're playing again.
>>
>>43876011
If you havent noticed by now, this entire thread was a shitpost.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.