[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japanese TRPG Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24
File: coverrole&roll.jpg (68 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
coverrole&roll.jpg
68 KB, 354x500
Japanese TRPG Thread?

Japanese TRPG Thread!
>>
>>43867405
Any particular topic you'd like to discuss?
>>
>>43867418
How about Saikoro Fiction games?

Why, apart from Shinobigami and KillDeathBusiness, these games are less famous and playes than Double Cross or Night Wizard?
>>
>>43867449
Well, unlike DX and NW, there isn't even a partial translation of Saikoro Fiction games yet.
>>
>>43867612
Still, the numbers of japanese replay for magicalogia or insane are really few (let's not talk about Blood Moon or Pikaboo).
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/shinobigami-modern-ninja-battle-tabletop-rpg-from
>>
>>43867621
I don't think the number of published replays is very indicative of how often a system is actually being played.
>>
File: 1380166881638.jpg (136 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
1380166881638.jpg
136 KB, 600x840
>>43867621
Where are you pooling these numbers from, if I may ask? I am legitimately curious.
>>
>>43867405

Man, Japanese games always look so fascinating. I mean, it's probably crappy or average, but that's a very enticing cover. I really want to know why that apparent lesbian schoolgirl is cumming while bleeding.
>>
>>43867418
Most unique mechanic?

I'm a fan of TBZ's every defense is an attack.
>>
>>43868129
oh, totally!
I never layed any, but Im curious.
>>
>>43868166
That's hardly unique.
The Aiki -> Kiai -> Karma system is definitely unique though.
>>
>>43867772
>ninja
>japanese
get on with the times, anon, ninjas are now 100% american, same with samurais and Onis.
Welcome to the united states of japan, now get your katana to slice the left overs from thanksgiving.
>>
>>43868129
That's not a game, that's a traditional games magazine.
>>
>>43868269

Yeah, that's what I mean. Like, I want to know the context in which the scene is happening.
>>
>>43868129
>I really want to know why that apparent lesbian schoolgirl is cumming while bleeding.
She's a vampire who bit the other girl.

Can't you see the darker haired one's neck is bleeding?
>>
>>43867621
APS doesn't publish a lot of replays for their games in general. Since they aren't owned by Kadokawa, unlike pretty much everyone other big name now, they can't just throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks with the weight of a massive publishing company behind them. I mean, Kadokawa was backing Kancolle RPG (which was a joint with APS) and that got like, 8 books in a year and a half or something like that (doesn't hurt that it was in the middle of the Kancolle boom too, of course).
>>
>>finding an interesting Japanese TTRPG

tfw you can't find any one who'd run it because it's so obscure
>>
>>43868757

Yeah, but SHE'S the one who's apparently getting off. Usually, it's the bite-ee who gets turned on.
>>
The cover story of that mag, as far as I can tell, is Blood Moon RPG, which uses the same system as Shinobigami.
>>
>>43868107
That kinda looks like some Shadowrun characters.
>>
>>43869391
That's because those ARE Shadowrun characters. It's a Shadowrun 4e replay that I really want to read.
>>
Can anyone tell me anything about the Kancolle one? Can I use It for anything other than a boatpeople setting?
>>
>>43869407
Clockwise from top:
>Troll technomancer
>Elf mage
>Human gillette/razorgirl
>Orc gunslinger adept
>>
>>43869407
>>43869424
Well then that makes a lot of sense.
>>
So where's the rules on tentacle rape?
>>
File: SRJP_replay3.jpg (1 MB, 800x1293) Image search: [Google]
SRJP_replay3.jpg
1 MB, 800x1293
>>43868107
>>
File: SRJP_replay2.jpg (1 MB, 800x1282) Image search: [Google]
SRJP_replay2.jpg
1 MB, 800x1282
>>43869494
>>
>>43869391

That -is- Shadowrun. 4th Edition, even.
>>
>>43869500
Alright folks, the next run will takes place in Seattle. So you'd better blend in with the locals.
Thankfully our fixer has already prepared a bunch of incouspicuous american costumes for you to wear.
No, there isn't one for you Mr. Troll ; you're supposed to pass as a buffalo, and buffalos don't wear clothes.
>>
>>43870003
Because this is what totally passes for what you should wear in NAN territory.
>>
>>43869500

>that mariachi with a guitarron case that probably is secretly just a rocket launcher

fuck
>>
>>43870003
There is absolutely nothing odd about this line of reasoning for anybody who has played a significant amount of Shadowrun.
>>
>>43869093
She obviously really likes the bite-ees blood. Like that scene from when Harry met Sally
>>
>>43870029

mi hermano
>>
>>43869500
>>43869494
>>43868107
>Japanese anime style stuff in Shadowrun, complete with qt orc
This is just like one of my anonymous traditional game image boards!
>>
>>43870497
Weren't the Japanese sourcebooks rewritten so that Japan wasn't nearly as racist as it's portrayed globally?
>>
Anyone have any translated Standard RPG System stuff? It seems to sort of be the Japanese equivalent of d20 System--in that it's used for a shit-ton of games--and I'm interested in checking it out.
>>
>>43869453
the orc is even the example in sr4 of a gun adept
>>
>>43870507
Not sure why they would. When a product that satirizes and stereotypes America or England comes to those respective shores, they just laugh it off and chalk it to silly foreign ignorance. Japan, being as wierd as it is, can't really have skin that thin.
>>
File: 1445085558452.jpg (341 KB, 1009x1435) Image search: [Google]
1445085558452.jpg
341 KB, 1009x1435
does anyone have those saved pics from inside Role n Roll in Akibahara?

those made me very happy, and they were on my now-dead hard drive....

much grace...
>>
>>43870612

They do, because they're an isolated island country that cares about honor.

England and America are large cosmopolitan nations that are used to being made fun of and cultural misunderstandings, but right-wing Japanese get REAAAAALLLY butthurt about that kind of thing.
>>
Is there a list of fully translated JTTRPGs? All I have played is Maid, never tried Night Wizards or the like.
>>
>>43870861
The ones that have official English translations are:
Maid
Tenra Bansho Zero
Double Cross
Golden Sky Stories
Ryuutama

Then there are a bunch of fan translations of other Japanese tabletop rpgs in varying degrees of completion.
>>
>>43870785
If you posted them here they might be on some archival sites like 4plebs. Some (most?) 4chan archive sites purge images past certain time threshold though...
>>
File: 61nrYVIlfkL.jpg (69 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
61nrYVIlfkL.jpg
69 KB, 354x500
someone posted a Monotone Museum fan translation some time ago. It looks pretty interesting. The only other one i know of (that's not officially translated is nechronica. Both have a very japanese vibe to them.
>>
>>43872214
Depends on what counts as a "Japanese" vibe, never mind that it's by a Japanese developer. In Monotone Museum, you live in a world of fairy tales, and your job is to literally ensure the "happily ever after" ending.
>>
>>43872259
that sounds like a japanese thing to me. power of friendship and all that. your not gonna find that premise in a western game.
>>
>>43872214
There's also a fan translation of Meikyuu Kingdom.
>>
>>43869424
Is there a rule in Shadowrun that your tech guy has to be huge and your fighter has to be a cute girl?
>>
>>43873133
If you play in Japan, yes there is. Otherwise they'll ritually burn your character sheet to purify the taint and have you commit (to) sudoku.
>>
>>43869469
Zettai Reido

Speaking of which ZR translation progression when?
>>
>>43874597
If I had to guess, I'd say about when there's any Nechronica progress. So literally never.
>>
>>43872214
>Read it as "Mo Not One Museum"
>Was thinking "Silly Japanese don't know English."
>Realize that I don't know English.
>>
>>43873133
If there isn't, there should be.
>>
>>43867405
So when will I get to play cute yuri vampires the rpg?
>>
>>43875274
Pretend is always an option ya know.
>>
>>43872214
where does one happen to find this fan translation?
>>
>>43875995
https://ontlogy.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/fantranslated-japanese-tabletop-rpgs-monotone-museum/

Note that, as said on the page, the package does not contain rules since you can lift them from any other F.E.A.R. game such as Double Cross.
>>
>>43876408
I have double cross so that's not really a problem, much obliged anon.
>>
>>43875383
Well yes, isn't every rpg really a game of pretend?
>>
File: 1402963547559.jpg (210 KB, 945x1200) Image search: [Google]
1402963547559.jpg
210 KB, 945x1200
>>43876667
Holy shit, I had no idea Mary's grandmom was this cute. Maybe I should do more than just listen to the music...
>>
>>43876766
It is. But a game of pretend and a game of "Pretend" are very different creatures.
>>
>>43878209
Ok so you're saying if I want to have a game of pretend with yuri vampires, it needs to have a rulebook?
>>
>>43878998
Nope.
>>
>>43878998
Just use WoD.

Nothing in VtM prohibits or discourages yuri vampires.
>>
>>43879158
Well too bad, because I think I'll make one. Behold, vampire yurism!

- Genre is weeaboo animu kawaii uguu shit.
- Everyone is a yuri vampire.
- Every npc [that matters] is girl.
- Every girl is also lesbian or can be converted thanks to yuri.
- Icky boys can be a consideration as faceless cannon fodder mooks.
- The extent of your power depends on your thralls
- You can go for quantity (the number of thralls) or quality (the amount of devotion they have towards you).
- You can seduce girls into thralls and increase their devotion towards you by having lily-tinted scenes with them.
- Your power set depends on the total devotion of your thralls.
- You fuel your powers with, and have your hit points equal to, your blood score.
- When you bite a girl the blood score you get equals their devotion.
- Ok, thralls is not a good word for this, let's call them your imoutos instead.
- You can try to seduce other vampires' imoutos, thus lowering their total devotion and weakening them.
- Maybe this is a pvp game.

I'll retreat to my lair to ponder this further.
>>
>>43879550
Ok.jpg
>>
>>43869410
Kancolle TRPG has a fantranslation of the core rulebook so you can look it up.

It uses the Saikoro Fiction engine which already has a bunch of different settings so I guess you could reflavor it if you really want to???
>>
>>43869410
Pretty much all of the Saikoro Fiction games are built heavily around resource management, in some way or another. The Kancolle RPG is VERY heavily geared towards both Kancolle itself and a very specific and resource-management heavy game, so it's probably not a particularly good example of something that you can make a quick re-fluff of. It's very much tied to the browser game, it has no original char-gen rules, etc... The best way I can describe it is kind of like a very involved gamified character generation system, with challenges and resource pools and what not. Like Traveller or Mechwarrior 3E's char-gen, but taken to a really heavy extreme.

That being said, I actually have toyed with the idea of making a Gunpla Battling game in the vein of Gundam Build Fighters and what not based pretty heavily off of a mix of the Kancolle RPG and Card Ranker, another Saikoro Fiction game that's about playing battling card games like is represented in anime like Yugioh or Wixoss. The Kancolle RPG has a LOT of great ideas and is spectacularly well-designed (I can't think of any other RPG based on a licensed property that manages to be as innovative while still capturing what makes the original so fun), but it's not what I'd call an easy re-fluff into something else.
>>
>>43880411
I assume all Saikoro Fiction games more or less share the same basic structure with Shinobigami that I've been reading developer stuff about? Shinobigami specifically, has for each player, an opening scene, three story scenes, and a boss battle to cap the story. You basically do one skill check a scene, and each scene has a specific goal (track someone down, fight someone, find out someone's secret, forge an emotional bond). Every play also has a specific goal and each character is tightly connected to that.
>>
>>43867943
Yeah, you're right.
Still, the difference is staggering.

>>43868107
I looked around on Nico Douga and googled for replays.
>>
>>43880411
Will the book be filled with stats for hundreds of different Gunpla units?
>>
>>43881267
this would be a must...

also, you have to deal with G-Gundam and IBO as far as extra stuff to add in....
>>
>>43880637
Things like secrets and adversarial play are unique to Shinobigami. A lot of the other SF games are more traditionally cooperative; pretty much the only things they all have in common are the resolution system, the scene structure, and I think a way of tracking relationships between characters (though I haven't read them all so I'm not sure about that last one).

The Kancolle RPG plays sort of like Pandemic or other cooperative board games, in that while each player acts individually, there's probably going to be a general consensus about how best to develop and use shared resources for the greater good of the group as a whole, for example. It's actually pretty interesting how much mileage you can get out of the basic Saikoro Fiction framework, and just how much you can build on top of it.

>>43881267
If I were ever able to pull something coherent together out of it, I'd probably only have a few to start. My general idea is to try and make building and customizing your Gunpla just as important; Kancolle and Card Ranker are both largely about using your individual turns to customize your base, "generic" character (whether it be new equipment for your shipgirl, or new cards for your deck), and since the various series that are about Gunpla fights also place a big emphasis on how much customization, painting, good model work, etc... also impact your performance in battle, I thought it would be cool to try and make something that reflected that aspect of the different series as much as just the fighting portion.
>>
File: youreavirgin.jpg (71 KB, 433x330) Image search: [Google]
youreavirgin.jpg
71 KB, 433x330
Excuse my gaijin ignorance, but what is a replay?
>>
>>43881964
You get to pay for reading how some people played a game.
>>
>>43881964
It's a Let's Play of a tabletop game, stylized and embellished as the publisher sees fit.
>>
>>43870785
moe had them but died a while back, 4plebs only has thumbnails, depending who got the moe backend they might pop back up eventually
>>
>>43881964
What >>43882147 said. It's a published Let's Play of the system. It's one of the main ways systems get publicity in Japan.
>>
I want to see an RPG campaign get an anime and have the dice roll across the screen when people do things.
>>
>>43881740
As I've now an interest in card ranker, is it translated anywhere? actually, I'm now rather interested in Saikoro as a whole. Are there many games that use it?
>>
>>43884608
Card Ranker's not translated.

All the Saikoro Fiction games are:
Peek-a-boo, about little kids and their ghost companions going on little childish adventures.
Shinobigami, a game of modern day ninja action and intrigue, which has an English translation coming out soon.
Hunter's Moon, where you hunt monsters.
Magicalogia, where you play as wizards trying to collect magic books to prevent the destruction of the world.
Blood Crusade, about a war between vampires and vampire hunters.
Card Ranker, the aforementioned card games on motorcycles game.
Insane, which is a genre-neutral horror game.
Kill Death Business, where you play serial killers on a reality tv show in hell.
Blood Moon, which is a mashup of Hunter's Moon and Blood Crusade.
Kancolle RPG, inspired by the popular browser game where you play as moe anthropomorphizations of WWII warships.
Beginning Idol, where you play as idols.
There was supposed to be one more game, Cutthroat Planet, a sort of retro-futuristic rocketpunk game, but it got cancelled and might still exist out there somewhere in an unfinished or even finished but unpublished form maybe.
>>
>>43881740
What would the 7x11 skill matrix (or at least, the categories) be for Build Fighters anyway.

I assume one for piloting and another for model building, and then I'm lost.
>>
>>43887677
One could easily put separate categories for movement and weapons skills. And if the game is not just about fightan, at least one category for socializing with other battlers. Psyching them before a game could affect the outcome. As for what to make up to fill all eleven slots, Shinobigami has such skills as Strategy: Cooking and Tech: Burrow you no doubt will find super relevant to every game.
>>
>>43887677
I was thinking one category could be dedicated to something like "Gundam Trivia," just knowledge about the series, famous lines, etc... I haven't given it a lot of thought though.
>>
>>43886510
>Beginning Idol, where you play as idols.
I'd really love to know what exactly is the Beginning Idol system like.

Do you roll to see whether you fall down on the stage?
>>
>>43888171
Since all saikoro fiction games use the same framework, you should read up on Shinobigami as it is being translated, there's various links on the kickstarter.

If they're similar to Shinobigami, it means they are for single-session ~4 hour play. Character creation is fast because you are expected to use it only once. The session follows a specific session structure and apparently you only roll once per scene, to determine the scene's outcome.
>>
>>43869025
>>43869410
>>43880144
>>43880411
>>43881740
>>43886510
>Kancolle
>small c
>>
File: 1440668370144948.jpg (77 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1440668370144948.jpg
77 KB, 1440x810
>>43888171
>>43888218
Beginning Idol is somewhat like Kancolle, in that there's a lot of resource management and character development, and you have some extraneous systems tacked on to the Saikoro Fiction core. It's split into the Drama Phase and the Live Phase.In the Drama Phases you choose a partner and roll on a random job table to determine if you can get any work; if you get a job and actually go do it, you can gain more fans. If not, or if you decide to skip work, you can train to develop new idol skills or go out and play and form a memory. These use the regular Saikoro Fiction one roll pass/fail per scene mechanic.

The Live Phase is all about performing; you work out a set list, and then you start with a big ensemble performance, followed by everybody doing solo songs, then finally an encore which is another ensemble. You have three independent stats, Visual Vocal and Dance (or whatever they're called), and during a performance you roll a number of dice equal to one of them and use the result to calculate your performance score (remove all doubles and total them, if you get 1-2-3-4-5-6 you get a perfect), and then if you didn't do enough to pass it you can press your luck to roll again.

Obviously stuff like your number of fans, your stress level, your idol skills, and your relationships with other idols can be used to affect things.
>>
>>43888413
>>43888227
>>
>>43888227
That's on the same level of autism as FATE/Fate and claiming the latter is the only proper way because devs up and decided the name is no longer an acronym.
>>
Any translated replays around other than R'lyeh Antiques?
>>
>>43886510
So you're telling me I'll need to find a pdf and chuck the text into google translate? Darn. >>43888115
Background, Personality, Construction, Knowledge, Tactics, Gunpla. Something like this sound about right? If I remember correctly, it's only 6 columns.
>>
>>43889423
Monotone Museum, it comes in the fan-translation.

Don't know whether you could consider "Red Dragon" to be a replay since it's using some kind of magic imaginary homebrew system.

>>43889545
You can chuck PDFs into Google Translate?
>>
Here by the way is the fan translation of kancolle:

https://www.mediafire.com/?xa8f21m778aru69

Incidentally, its six skill (trait) groups are background, charm, personality, hobby, naval and warfare.
>>
Didn't /tg/ come up with an idol game? You had to avoid getting molested by your handlers or coerced into doing porn.
>>
Is it true that a lot of Japanese TTRPGs only use the D6 because polyhedral dice are hard to get in Japan? Also how do the big western TTRPGs fare in Japan?
>>
>>43891493
>polyhedral dice are hard to get in Japan
WERE hard to get in Japan. It's a lot easier nowadays to get different dice, but a lot of systems will still use d6 if they can help it.

A fair number of western RPGs are relatively successful over there. The most popular I've seen include Call of Cthulhu and Shadowrun.
>>
>>43891572
Ah, alright thats pretty cool then. I've seen CoC & SR before, and I know that the previous editions of D&D got translated, but not much else. What do they play in Japan for their fantasy fix? Heard 5E wasn't gonna get an official translation, but I might be mistaken.
>>
>>43891653
Homegrown fantasy games like Arianrhod and Sword World are quite popular, but so is D&D, and WFRP is kind of unexpectedly cult popular there too. A good chunk of Japan's original RPG output in general is western-fantasy inspired, though; throw a dart and you'll hit a random fantasy game.
>>
>>43891822
>D&D
Isn't Basic supposed to be pretty popular over there? I've seen some pictures of the Rules Cyclopedia, it was pretty neat.

I also think I remember something about 5E not getting a Japanese translation?
>>
Is anyone actually running Double Cross right now? or Planing on running it?
>>
File: 1441368622116.jpg (423 KB, 700x482) Image search: [Google]
1441368622116.jpg
423 KB, 700x482
>>43891822
For real. Western fantasy (or something that at least vaguely sounds like Western fantasy) is the biggest draw in Japan. People like their greatswords and witches and churches and stuff.
>>
>>43891983
Well you see it in pretty much every JRPG and fantasy anime / manga. A quasi-medieval fantasy world. However they do sprinkle some cultural stuff of their own over it from time to time.
>>
>>43891983
I guess that counts as exotic fantasy to them, in contrast to samurai and ninjas and shoguns and onmyoujis.
>>
>>43891884
5E's not getting a translation into ANY other language, at the very least not until WotC figures out their licensing policy for it. But the 5E Basic Rules DID get a sanctioned translation, so the future isn't necessarily written in stone just yet.
>>
>>43892804
Oh that's cool. I remember that the previous D&D editions got different art and stuff in Japan, but I don't think such a major localisation would happen this time.
>>
>>43892849
Feels pretty weird that they wouldn't translate such a big seller as D&D.

Or maybe they have looked at some sales figures, like number of translated sales versus english versions sold to Japan, and said, "Hmmm... maybe not worth the effort."

(It would be interesting to know how well english versions of the games are selling there.)
>>
>>43891653
I've seen a Japanese cover for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay depicting the players as Chaos Gods, sitting over a map of the Old World and rolling dice all over it.

The tiny Nurgle sitting in the corner was adorable.
>>
>>43893044
It's because they haven't settled on any content licensing stuff yet.
Basically the business management end of 5e/WotC/Hasbro is being really prudent, as much as that's inconvenient to many actual and potential players/customers.

There are possible eventualities that they have to worry about and the idea is it's better to be too careful rather than careless. They don't want to sabotage themselves or close off possible opportunities, and they don't want to spend a lot of time and money having singular, unique agreements with every licensee.

This is a situation where it's actually a lot faster when dealing with other mediums for the rules and properties, like nSpace for SCL and Smiteworks for Fantasy Grounds.
>>
>>43869093
I thought that was standard for WoD vampires.
>>
>>43876408
For fuck's sake, DX is NOT a S.R.S. game.
The rules are absolutely incompatible and Night Wizard has only had it's statblocks translated, making it unplayable.
>>
File: [OKAY]_1.jpg (16 KB, 194x273) Image search: [Google]
[OKAY]_1.jpg
16 KB, 194x273
That feel when never gunna get to play Tenra Banshou Zero
>>
>>43895254
If you (we) want to get more players to play these obscure games, you (we) have to be the one(s) to introduce them to other people. Volunteer to run games at cons, get people talking about them, do whatever you can to make sure people know they exist and how fun they are.

It's a lot of work, but it's the only way it's going to happen, especially when the people who are responsible for translating and releasing them don't have the promotional budget to really push them beyond their immediate circles of friends and supporters. If you want to affect change in the gaming community, you have to be an active part of it. I'm not trying to be preachy or anything, it's just the truth of things.
>>
File: 3040037000_02full (1).png (246 KB, 960x800) Image search: [Google]
3040037000_02full (1).png
246 KB, 960x800
>>43892084
They still have that too.
>>
>>43891904
I'm in a group that's playing it on Roll20. I'm pretty sure the posting is still up.
>>
>>43899343

I'll look into it!
>>
>>43899343
>>43899939

Actually, Crap, Roll20 is timing out for game searches. I'll keep trying though
>>
>>43896321
What if you (I) just plain suck at GMing and can't for the life of you (me) get anyone to run anything they're not intimately familiar with, even if they agree that system looks totally interesting?
>>
>>43903298

I have ran a couple games of DX, I just don't think I'm a decent GM.
>>
File: Ye8ZOfz.gif (1 MB, 480x264) Image search: [Google]
Ye8ZOfz.gif
1 MB, 480x264
>>43896403
>That hair.
>>
>>43892804
>>43891884
the basic rules got an official translation. i saw the guy who writes quickstart tweet them out.
>>
File: tokyo NOVA.jpg (1 MB, 1078x1508) Image search: [Google]
tokyo NOVA.jpg
1 MB, 1078x1508
Looking for ANY edition of Tokyo Nova thats translated.

Tarot Cards and Story based Cyberpunk sounds like my kind of RPG
>>
>>43891904
I'm running Double Cross weekly.
>>
>>43905859
I'm going to have to bump this, even if this isn't the PDF request thread.
The fate that befalls a lot of these smaller foreign games is that a company buys them and thus locks down fan translation projects as well as PDF sharing with their legal department, and then the game doesn't sell well, putting it almost completely out of circulation.
>>
>>43872214
>>43876408
For those who have downloaded "Monotone Museum", here's a fan-translated version of the SRS rules in case you don't already have it.
>>
>>43872214
>>43876408
So, I'm trying to make sense of the mess of the txt file that's included with this download, and I think there's a problem: there's an "Emotion Table 2.0", but no "Emotion Table 1.0". Is this an error in the Table's name, or did they leave Emotion Table 1.0 out?
>>
File: R&R Cthulu.jpg (269 KB, 451x601) Image search: [Google]
R&R Cthulu.jpg
269 KB, 451x601
>>43905859
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but I swear I read on one of the previous threads that there's some group out there that's holding on to a fantranslation version of Tokyo Nova if you can provide proof that you purchased an actual copy of the game.

Wonder if there's any other super sekrit fan-translations being held this way?
>>
>>43907996
I doubt it. Translating is hard enough work that anyone would want to work in complete secrecy, start to finish.
>>
>>43907996
People like that are the scourge of the hobby.
The only thing they'll accomplish is make people give up on the game because very few people want to pay a ridiculously inflated price for shipping and courier services in order to be able to bargain with some flakes for a product of dubious quality that should be free out of respect for the game. On top of that, a lot of translators seem to have the idea that buying the real version of something will automatically deliver the money straight into the pocket of the original creator, not the publisher, licenser (if it has been licensed since - the customer can't know all the details of the deal) or the nowadays almost universal reseller. Most Japanese goods bought off Amazon don't provide the original creator with a single yen, because it's bought off someone who in turn bought it earlier on to sell at a markup.
>>
File: cover11.jpg (1 MB, 1588x2246) Image search: [Google]
cover11.jpg
1 MB, 1588x2246
How about some Log Horizon news, then? Did you know the developers have announced a brand new book? It's true! This book will give every class a brand spankin' new selection of skills, and from the text it looks like they're going to get "upgrades" to existing skills, because the book will focus mainly on Character Rank 11+ (meaning, it's support we've never seen before because everything up until now has been 1-10 primarily, and 1-5 especially.)

This also means they're going to introduce a new brand of monster. Where before we've had standard monster, Mobs, and Bosses (along with Gimmicks, of course), now we get Raid monsters, which are of course going to be Serious Business. Of course, you'll probably see a lot of the old type of monsters, too, just at CR11+. And items, and prefix items, and named items.

No ETA as far as I can see, but I'm going to guess by April 2016 because that's the month when the original book was released, I believe.
>>
File: guardian.png (2 MB, 2000x2013) Image search: [Google]
guardian.png
2 MB, 2000x2013
Preview? Sure, why not. I'll do a couple. We'll do Guardian, because for some reason I like the dorky Guardian pregen art guy.

First you should know that Guardians will get some upgraded skills in the form of like, Iron Bounce II, Anchor Howl II, and Scarlet Thrust II.

Here's some actual skills, though:

Great Wall Style - [Combat] [Style] Max SR2
Timing: Constant
This skill produces an effect when you are equipped with two [One-Handed] [Shield] items. Change the bonus from the «Block Missile» skill from +2 to +1D. (SR2): Increase the PDEF bonus of one shield by 3.

Vicarious Shield [Combat] [Shield] Max SR 1
Timing: Refer, Check: None, Target: Self, Range: Close, Cost: None, Limit: 1/Scenario
> Use just after you've been Incapacitated. Immediately remove the Incapacitated condition from yourself, and recover HP equal to 10 times the PDF of one shield you are equipped with. After, the shield you used to produce this effect gains the Broken tag.

Cross Slash [Combat] [Special Attack] [Blade] Max SR5
Timing: Major, Check: Opposed (Acc vs Eva), Target: Single, Range: Close, Cost: Hate 3, Limit: None
> The target takes two stacks of [Pursuit]. The rating of this [Pursuit] is equal to [(Attack Power) + (SRx2)].

Frontline [General] [Movement] Max SR 1
Timing: Move, Check: None, Target: Wide 20 (P), Range: Close, Cost: None, Limit: 1/Scenario.
> The target may immediately make a [Safe Move] of 1 Sq.
>>
>>43912845
F.E.A.R games can be recognized on sight. Those statblocks are very distinct.
>>
>>43912880
It actually isn't made by F.E.A.R., but it is pretty heavily based in their S.R.S. system, which is open license I believe. It's kind of like Grancrest, in that. At least I'm pretty sure Grancrest is not FEAR/SRS.
>>
>>43869093
That's just in World of Darkness (and Dresden Files, which stole heavily from World of Darkness in terms of inspiration).
>>
>>43912667
>>43912845
I know nothing about Log Horizon, but reading these has gotten me quite curious. Can anyone sum up the core mechanic and setting for an inquisitive anon?
>>
File: kannagi.png (784 KB, 800x1033) Image search: [Google]
kannagi.png
784 KB, 800x1033
Now let's look at a class I really want to like, Kannagi.

School: Kazabana Sentou [Combat] [Style] Max SR 2
-- Female Only. When you do not have anything equipped to your [Armor Slot], you gain a bonus to PDEF and MDEF equal to [CR + (Dex Mod)]. (SR2): When all you have equipped in your [Hand Slots] is a single [One-Handed] [Katana], you gain a bonus to both Attack Power and Magic Power equal to (your equipped weapon's Attack Power x 2), and your [Katana] gains the [Magic Stone] tag. (This is stupid powerful and I love it. Might actually make a War Miko worth it.)

School: Murakumo Kyuugetsu [Combat] [Style] Max SR 2
-- Male Only. You become able to equip [Medium Armor]. Also, you gain a bonus to MDEF equal to (STR Mod). (SR2): When you are equipped with a [Two-Handed] [Bow] weapon, you may treat the Bow you are equipped with as though it had the [Hafted] tag, and is capable of attacking as though it was a [Range: Close] [Melee Weapon].

War Orchestra [Combat] Max SR 1
Timing: Refer, Check: None, Target: Single, Range: 4 Sq., Cost: None, Limit: 1/Scenario
-- You may only target your allies with this skill. Use when the target makes a [Weapon Attack] [Magic Attack] or [Special Attack] against an enemy with the [Boss] tag. Reduce the Hate cost of that action by 1. (This next part I'm not sure on, I'm quick translating): You may use this skill any number of times until the end of the Round in which you first used this skill.

Protection From Evil [Combat] Max SR 5
Timing: Setup, Check: None, Target: Wide 4 (P), Range: Close, Cost: Hate 2
-- When you use this skill, select one tag from [Flame] [Cold] [Shock] [Blight] [Holy] [Spirit]. The target gains [Cancel (Chosen Tag)]. The rating of this [Cancel] is equal to [(POW Mod) x SR]. This [Cancel] lasts until the end of the Round.
>>
(It got too long, so here's the last skill)

Invocation Ceremony [Combat] [Quick] Max SR 3
Timing: Setup, Check: None, Target: Self, Range: Close, Cost: Hate 1, Limit: (SR)/Scenario
-- Immediately use 1 [Timing: Setup] skill from either the Kannagi or Healer skill lists. At that time, the skill you use gets +2 SR (it may exceed the Max SR limit.)
>>
>>43913552
The basic resolution mechanic is "2d6 + stat, roll over." There's some extra complications in that you can critical if you roll at least two (!) 6's, or fumble if you roll all (!) 1's. Since you can get more than 2d6 to roll (Swashbucklers, for example, always roll 3d6 for attack rolls) then your chances to critical to go up, and your chances to fumble go down.

The real sparkle of the game is the Hate mechanic. When you use an ability in combat, it might cost Hate. You add that to your Hate total. Every monster in the fight treats you as having the same amount of Hate. So if you hit Monster 1 and have Hate 2, then Monsters 2-5 also think you have Hate 2.

The whole party compares Hate values. The one with the most Hate is considered the "Hate Top", and everyone else is "Hate Under". If a monster attacks the Hate Top, they deal extra damage (that bypasses armor!) equal to the Hate Top's amount of Hate, times the monster's Hate Multiplier (which can be anywhere from x1 to x12). If a monster attacks a Hate Under, they deal no extra damage, and the Hate Under enjoys a +2 bonus to their dodge roll.

If you get hit, no matter if you're Hate Top or Hate Under, you lose 1 Hate. Also, if you tie for Hate Top, all those that are tying count as Hate Top.

It's a pretty neat system that accurately mirrors MMO threat/aggro mechanics, while taking into account this isn't really an MMO. Tank needs to keep Hate up, but not TOO high or he'll get killed due to Hate Damage. But if he's too low, DPS can't use their big attacks (because with Hate Damage, they could potentially get one shot).
>>
>>43913744
That is cool as fuck. Does a translation exist? I desire to throw money at this.
>>
>>43914118
It's kind of an amateurish release, but yeah, there's a fan translation.

http://lh.oksub.me/wiki/Log_Horizon_TRPG

That'll have everything you need.
>>
>>43907521
The "1.0" tables are from the core Monotone Museum rulebook, the "2.0" tables are from the Incalzando supplement. In some cases (such as the Emotion Table) they are replacement tables, in others like the Distortion Table they are just extra options.
>>
>>43914369
You are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank ya sir.
>>
>>43905859
Nice to know I'm not the only one keeping an eye out for this one. I really love the idea of the 3 piece (public/private/side) class system.
>>
It's prolly just the manga artstyle, but compared to western RPG's art seems a lot more... Gritty. These JRPG covers we see here has this whimsical nature to it... Or is it just me?
>>
>>43917270
>Or is it just me?
Well, let's see...
>>43869494
Nope, totally just you.
>>43868107
Yeah, I don't see anything odd here.
>>43867405
Nothing at all.
>>
>>43881964
We tend to call them Actual Plays on the English-speaking Internet, but they're the same thing.
>>
If there's any moonspeakers around, is this some kind of a magic school type rpg, which has been popular in animu lately?

http://www.fear.co.jp/gorder/index.html

Because judging by the cover it totally is.
>>
>>43918287
It's just some generic supers shit.
>>
Another bump!
>>
>>43914369
BLARG.

It's behind a MEGA account. For whatever reason I can never DL things from there - all steps go through, but NOTHING actually Dl's.

Rehost on Mediafire? Or just about anywhere else?
>>
>>43921612
Sure. Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8d7qfiu0fvx5q5n/LHTRPG+Release+v3.rar
>>
>>43922579
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pulling it down now, will read later; still sleepy from turkeyday eatings.
>>
>>43918287
I own the book but I haven't really taken much of a look at it. Since, as >>43918882 put it, it feels a bit like generic supers shit. DoubleCross does it better.

If you have any questions in specific about it, though, ask away. Uh... it's a d100 roll-under system, I remember that much about it offhand...
>>
>>43923472
Naw, I was just wondering if it was cashing on a popular trend. Since it is a F.E.A.R. game I suppose system basics are more or less the same anyway.
>>
>>43923587
It did break away quite a bit from the usual SRS trend, at least. It's even in a different book format (the smaller manga-like form with the vertical left-to-right printing). But it's not really anything revolutionary, alas.
>>
>>43914566
Thank you. That helps clear up a lot of things.
>>
Don't they have any scifi stuff? Any Traveller / Eclipse Phase JP equivalents?
>>
File: IMG_20151201_0001.jpg (804 KB, 1080x1506) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151201_0001.jpg
804 KB, 1080x1506
>>43924888
Not many, that I know of. The Japanese TRPG market is pretty super-niche, and much of the influence comes from, like, D&D.

I do know of the thing in the picture. It's called Age of the Galaxy, and it's a bog standard S.R.S. space opera game. More like, say, Mass Effect or even Xenosaga than Traveler/Eclipse Phase.
>>
>>43925010
>Xenosaga
Well, in my opinion, if something can quote Xenosaga as an inspiration, it is only a good thing.
>>
File: IMG_20150822_0001.jpg (871 KB, 1386x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150822_0001.jpg
871 KB, 1386x2048
>>43925064
I'm not entirely sure that it takes direct inspiration from that. I was mostly quoting it in terms of genre similarity. I own the book (that picture was in fact a scan I just now took of it), but my Japanese isn't great enough that I can read off its premise, alas.

It does, however, have delightful cat people. Say hello to the Catman Millionaire.
>>
File: AOGb-page001.png (317 KB, 839x1191) Image search: [Google]
AOGb-page001.png
317 KB, 839x1191
>>43925114
>my Japanese isn't great enough that I can read off its premise
I actually started translating bits and pieces of it a while back. Despite being SRS the flavor of the universe really makes me want to play it. Kind of a really over the top SWN/Trav. Very Outlaw Starish feeling. Also, bob.

Age of the Galaxy takes place in the distant future.
Humanity spread out into space, and throughout the galaxy, but it was there that they encountered invaders from another universe, and were plunged into a conflict known as the Eternal War.
Tens of thousands of years have passed since the war subsided, and mankind has once again pushed outwards to the stars. It is the beginning of a new galactic age.

Logs of Lost Earth
In the final days of the Eternal War, our universe was facing total destruction. The invaders' target was not us or our galaxy, but to revert our entire universe into a "cosmic egg," to the state it was in before the moment of creation.
And they had nearly accomplished it.
"It's already too late," the civilizations of Old Earth had decided, and seeing no other option, they sacrificed the earth as an act of last resort.
The history and memories of earth were changed into artifacts called "logs," and scattered throughout the galaxy. In the process, the earth vanished, from both space and from the minds of its children.
In the end, our universe narrowly avoided destruction, but not before being subject to a massive disaster called "the Warp," which wiped out the old civilization.
Since then, tens of thousands of years have passed...

Retainers and the Return to Terra
Over time, civilization began to return in pockets throughout the galaxy, and humanity once again reached out to the stars.
Among them are those called "Retainers," individuals with memories of the forgotten, legendary Terra.
They travel throughout the galaxy, searching for the scattered logs of Old Earth, hoping that when they are brought together, they may return the earth to our universe.
>>
File: sc02.jpg (155 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
sc02.jpg
155 KB, 550x550
>>43926142
The Library of Terra
The return of Old Earth will bring with it the reopening of the gates that had until then been closed off. The gates left open have already stabilized and are operational.
It is the beginning of a new age of galactic exploration.
This age also saw the establishment of the Library of Terra in which lies the key to the Terran rebirth.
The Library of Terra is where the logs of Old Earth are collected in order to one day revive her.
Under the protection of the stars, the Retainers endeavor to bring about this rebirth.

Star Beasts
Returning Terra to our universe is not the only thing that motivates Retainers to seek out the logs.
With each one recovered, space-time is made more stable, and more gates begin to link themselves between the stars.
It is the job of Retainers to establish routes to new star systems.
The other reason they seek the logs is to halt the increase in star beasts. Part of the mysterious power of the logs is their ability to transform people and objects into the dreaded star beasts. If left unchecked they can pose a threat even to the stars themselves.
The risk of these logs birthing more star beasts will surely increase when Terra is reborn.

The United Stars
The United Stars is headquartered in the Sol system, home of Old Earth and the Library of Terra, and is deeply ingrained with the work of the Retainers.
They openly lend their support to the Retainers and do everything they can to bring about Terra's return.
The more logs they collect, the more star systems they gain access to, cultivating trade and access to new resources, and fighting against the predations of the star beasts. For now, the fate of the United Stars is tied to the success of the Retainers.
>>
>>43926142
>>43926157
Huh, that all sounds pretty sweet! I bought it because I was going through a period of "there's all this stuff with cool art over there!" and if nothing else it does have some neat art going for it. Then I was disappointed by the SRSness of it, and from there it's sat on my shelf. I'd have to work to translate it, and there's other things I'm more interested in doing, before that.

Thanks for sharing, though!
>>
File: 47202420_p0.jpg (580 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
47202420_p0.jpg
580 KB, 1000x1414
>>43926262
>if nothing else it does have some neat art going for it
Yeah, really the only reason I grabbed it in the first place was because of bob.
>>
>>43926411
>bob
Huh, I'm not sure I've seen that wordfilter before.
>>
>>43926533
Not him but I think it's an artist name, not some wordfilter.

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=91521
>>
Sweet god, so SRS is just an engine?
Isn't It easier to just do my own thing my way? I'm designing the game from the base either way, right?
>>
>>43930008
Uh, what are you talking about? But yeah SRS is a generic system base, I suppose you could call it a nipponese d20.
>>
>>43930008
SRS is an engine, but usually it's filled out with skill blocks and stuff. Monotone Museum has several classes all with several stat blocks, for instance. They're just boring and don't really do the setting justice.
>>
>>43869500
>>43870785
HOLY- I don't even know where to look. No, wait, I know EXACTLY where to look. Dayum
>>
Seems I'm unable to confirm this by googling so: is Meikyuu Kingdom official translation project dead in the water?
>>
>>43933968
I think the word is it is not "officially" dead, but it's sure not moving much.
Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.