[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pandora Quest 18
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10
File: Logo.png (540 KB, 1024x910) Image search: [Google]
Logo.png
540 KB, 1024x910
You are the head researcher at a government facility. Your sole responsibility is to teach the world's first autonomous AI, nicknamed Pandora, about life, the world and her existence.
Previously you scrambled to clean the pigsty that is your room due to entertaining company in the form of an attractive cyborg for dinner. After some pleasant conversation and an awkward confession of interest, Babsy informed you of a date you should take her on. One frantic night of panic later and it was time for school with Pandora. Kevin joined you and did a decently well at keeping her interested, much to your surprise.
Welcome back to Pandora Quest!
>Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=pandora+quest
>Twitter: https://twitter.com/AM_in_PM
>>
File: Pandoras room.png (23 KB, 610x593) Image search: [Google]
Pandoras room.png
23 KB, 610x593
You figure now would be a good time to really buckle down and get some learning in for Pandora. She could lose interest any second, so time is of the essence! You nudge Kevin to keep up the pace, who seems just as impressed at his work as you are. He collects himself and procures some worksheets on what appear to be syntax and sentence flow. You can't help but already feel bored. Fingers crossed.
Roll 1d100 to not bore Pandora with words. Best of 3.
>>
Rolled 60 (1d100)

>>43862959
Hey there AM, how's it going?
>>
Rolled 10 (1d100)

>>43862959
>>
Rolled 19 (1d100)

>>43862959
Sorry i won't be doing any art this thread. what with thanksgiving and all. still good to know.
>>
>>43863000
Pretty good, thanks. Hope all you fellow Clapistanians had a good Thanksgiving!
>>43863046
No worries, you've made tons as it is!

Writing.
>>
File: napo.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
napo.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>43863030
>>43863046
>>43863000

At least it was best of three.
>>
You manage to keep Pandora interested well enough to keep her working, though you catch her eyes wandering over to the origami book more than a few times. Still, she manages to do the work rather well. Her writing is getting a lot better. During the lesson, you receive a message on your PDA, but keep your attention on the lessons. Losing focus is usually a death sentence for any learning you could possibly get in.

You are reminded of Babsy's advice to give Pandora more independence, and think maybe giving her some homework wouldn't be a bad idea. Something she can work on before you arrive the next morning. Nothing too difficult at first, just simple, short questions for her to answer.
>Assign homework
>Don't assign
>Check your messages
>Ask Pandora about her thoughts on independence
>Other (write in)
>>
>>43863266

>Assign homework
>Check your messages
>>
>>43863266
Assign some homework. .
>>
>>43863266
>>Assign homework
>>Check Journal
>>Check your messages
>>
Writing. Rolling with assign homework and check messages. Good enough.
>>
>>43863344
we checked her journal last thread. it was um... creepy.

there was nothing there.
>>
Assign homework and ask about her thoughts on independence
>>
File: libertyprime.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
libertyprime.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>43863464
DID SOMEONE SAY INDEPENDENCE?
THE USA CANNOT BE TRULY FREE UNTIL THE THREAT OF THE RED COWARDS IS DESTROYED!

This is what the military hope to get out of our AI program isn't it?
>>
You cobble together some quick assignments for Pandora to do in the morning when she wakes up. Nothing too difficult since this will be new to her. You even throw in a little word jumble for her to work out. Hopefully she'll enjoy it. Though you get a sulky look from her when you inform her that she has more work to do. You believe you just went from being the "cool dad" to the "ugh, dad...". You have a feeling she'll get over it soon enough, though. Though it does give you an idea for an upgrade to her cradle that would give her the ability to put herself into sleep mode when she was ready. Could be good for her, but also a little risky.

You check your message and it's from the general. Never good news.

Gen. Richards: Doctor, we'd like your answer on rethinking the military AI. Again, I can't force you, but this would bring quite a boon to both the Facility and the American people. Not to mention the project's funding. Have you come to a decision yet?

This again...while you're against creating a combat android so soon, the general isn't wrong; this would bring in quite a bit of funding, not to mention keeping the government happy is pretty high up on the priority list.
>Agree
>Refuse
>Need more time to decide
>Ask for advice from _____ (write in)
>Other (write in)
>>
>>43863704
Ask for advice from Babsy.
>>
>>43863704
>Ask for advice from Kevin, if he's still nearby. Then Babsy or something she's cute.
>>
>>43863704
>Ask for advice from Pandora.
>>
>>43863771
I'm not sure she's ready for a discussion on the merits of the military industrial complex
>>
>>43863704
>Agree
I think we should put it off for some time, we need to set up pandoras ability to be independent and also figure out the nature of the military AI. I would like to avoid a straight up robot child soldier thing going on.

Perhaps as a strategiest or support role.
>>
>>43863704
> Ask for advice from Kevin, Babsy
Maybe agree to do some groundwork to keep the brass pacified?
>>
>>43863812
It is possible to load up an AI with military tactics and strategies upon creation. Pandora was purposely left blank for the experiment, aside from basic language skills and other minor stuff like that. But it is possible to just upload information into an AI from the get go.

A couple votes for asking advice from Babsy and Kevin. Any other input or shall we roll with this? Keep in mind, you have a whole Facility at your disposal, including but not limited to the rest of your research team and the whole R&D department.
>>
>>43863704
>Counter with our own questions
What KIND of military AI does he want?

If he wants one that can walk and shoot where you point, sure. Maybe even lead a target.

If he wants one capable of following and planning tactical orders, that might take a while.

If he wants an AI that thoroughly exceeds what humans can already do? Well, we're not military men, and he'll need to explain what he's looking for.
>>
>>43864051
I pretty much support this as well. asking advice from the general might be another thing to throw on the pile.

as with going with >>43863862
this. yeah lets interview basby and kevin for advice.
>>
>>43864229
Alright, I think I have what I need. Writing!
>>
You think more input on this would be for the best and send a quick question asking the general for what exactly he'd want from a military android as far as specs and limitations to keep him busy for a moment. You then send Babsy a message asking her thoughts on the military AI project the general and CIA asked about. You don't want to bring Pandora into this, so you send a message to Kevin as well to keep things on the private side. The last thing you need is her asking questions about top secret government information.

A few minutes later, time you spend folding paper with Pandora idly, you begin getting replies, albeit after an odd sideways glance from Kevin after getting the message.

Gen. Richards: We need something no one has seen before. A soldier that is durable, tireless and willing to follow any order given. We need it to be strong, intelligent, accurate and able to surpass human limitations without the drawbacks of soft targets in the field. A soldier that is it's own team, a real army of one. Cost-effective wouldn't be bad either, but for now price comes secondary. America needs a supper weapon in case of another war.

Sounds pretty standard as far as mechanical soldiers in sci-fi movies go, you think to yourself. Not impossible, but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

720: I really don't like the idea of weaponizing AI, but I knew when we started that it would end up happening eventually. Unfortunately our hands are tied. Sooner or later they'll get tired of waiting, and if we can't deliver, they'll bring in someone who can. The only saving grace we really have is that making one from scratch would take time; programming the AI itself, building a combat-ready body, those are a lot of work, as I'm sure you recall from Pandora's creation. Honestly, I'd rather we worked on it rather than some unknown in it for the money...but still.

She's right, if you can't do what needs to be done, they'll cut you loose and find someone who can.

Cont.
>>
>>43864538
So the second one. We can buy time because we need to promise a certain level of ability to think independently.

We also bring the ball back to them when we request a military expert to come in and teach the various tactical maneuvers.
>>
Someone who might not have as many scruples as you. Someone who just sees a hefty paycheck for turning a blind eye to the ethical implications of this. That bad taste is still there.

K. Oak: Sir, with all due respect, I am not very well versed in military or combat procedures. But is this not our job? We were hired to do work for the government, not question their logic or thought process. I'm sure most of the team would agree with me. Besides, this isn't some cheap science fiction movie where robots take over the world and cull the human race. We are in complete control of the situation and can handle any issues that may arise from this.

You're honestly not surprised Kevin would be in the "just do what they tell you, they're your bosses" camp. Ethical quandaries aren't exactly his forte. If anything, this speaks volumes against making a military android.

However, Babsy was right, you need to come to a final decision on this soon. The government isn't exactly one to take "no" for an answer, and it's not like you can just pack up your toys and go home; they have your research and data, they can find someone to mimic your program, especially if your team stays. This is getting a little heavier than you realized.
>Agree to make the military AI (requires light chargen)
>Disagree
>Attempt to delay the general
>Other (write in)
>>
>>43864612
>We also bring the ball back to them when we request a military expert to come in and teach the various tactical maneuvers
uh oh.
>>
>>43864612
Just FYI, you literally answer to a military general. They have an expert on staff.
>>
>>43864681
>>
>>43864681
>>
>>43864681
not like we can do anything else. might as well rip the bandage off so that it's over quick.
>>
>>43864681
>>Agree to make the military AI (requires light chargen)
a simple, mostly aimbot AI for now.

>>43864703
are they trained to teach children?
>>
>>43864748
Are we trained to teach children?
>>
>>43864765
we haven't screamed at them yet.

But sure, they can risk damaging billions of dollars in accidents, we already did.
>>
>>43864748
The military AI needn't be childlike as Pandora is. Like I said before, Pandora was left intentionally blank as a learning experiment. You could, if you wanted, make the AI completely bereft of personality all together, similar to the AI in the R&D department. You get to do what you wish with the new AI as far as programming goes, so long as it can follow orders and shoot a gun.
>>
>>43864876
But we need to teach some of it to Pandora to get a good measuring stick of what needs or doesn't need to be programmed into the military AI.
>>
>>43864932
If you want to teach Pandora about fightan, that's up to you. However, make sure you recall the rules given to you.

2. Under no circumstances should TBX-042 be allowed to handle any weapon or potentially dangerous material at any time, including, but not limited to: firearms, blades longer than 13cm (5in) or sharp enough to pierce protective gear, flammable materials, explosives, corrosives, etc. Failure to adhere to this rule may force security personnel to use deadly force.

Writing.
>>
>>43865027
many tactical maneuvers don't require a weapon.

Flanking, positioning, making use of cover, quickly responding to hand or electrical signals, boosting someone up, etc.
>>
You sigh sadly, getting a feeling this bad taste won't be going away any time soon. You steel yourself, praying to anything and everything that you're making the right decision, and send Richards the message agreeing to it, but informing him it would take some time to make. You get a reply back almost instantly.

Gen. Richards: Excellent! You're an asset to your country, son. This will help keep America safe in the future, mark my words. I'll inform the CIA and DARPA immediately. Expect some more zeroes in your funding soon.

[CHARGEN]
You have a few choices to make as far as building this new AI. I'll try to keep it as simple as possible to avoid as many issues as possible.

AI
>Blank slate (like Pandora, will require extensive training, which may not be very cost-effective)
>Partial (has more data than Pandora started with involving tactics and military info. simple, but with a personality of it's own and better able to make it's own choices)
>Emotionless (little or no personality, but with a full compliment of military maneuvers, strategies and intel loaded onto it. cold and unable to make difficult decisions on it's own beyond it's orders, but effective in combat)

Armor:
>Light (small, maneuverable, fast, lightly armored to be slightly hardier than Pandora's current form)
>Heavy (about as durable as an armored truck with average maneuverability and size)
>Juggernaut (big, heavy and solid as a rock. thick armor plating that could take a real beating. intimidating to say the least)

Strength:
>Average (about your average soldier)
>Powerful (could easily lift weights trained power lifters would have trouble with)
>Titan (could tear the doors off cars as an afterthought and carry mounted weaponry as sidearms)

Build time depends on the choices made.
>>
>>43865350
>Partial
>Light
>Powerful
>>
>>43865350
>Emotionless (little or no personality, but with a full compliment of military maneuvers, strategies and intel loaded onto it. cold and unable to make difficult decisions on it's own beyond it's orders, but effective in combat)
>>43865350
>Light (small, maneuverable, fast, lightly armored to be slightly hardier than Pandora's current form)
>>43865350
>Powerful (could easily lift weights trained power lifters would have trouble with)
>>
>>43865404
This, pretty much. Perhaps named Ares if male, Frey if female.
>>
>>43865350
>Emotionless
>Light
>Powerful
>>
>>43865350
>Partial
>Heavy
>Titan
>>
Gonna give this a little time to gather votes since this is pretty important. Vote, vote, vote! And if you have any questions about any options, feel free to ask away and I'll answer whatever you need.
>>
We are currently tied between Parital and Emotionless for AI, so you know.
>>
>>43865350
>Partial
>light
>powerful
>>
>>43865731
Looks like Partial, Light, Powerful wins. However, I have one last thing for you guys to vote on before we're done.

>Male pattern
>Female pattern
>Androgynous pattern
>>
>>43865826
Whoops, dropped trip.
>>
>>43865826
>Male pattern
these guys want their murican pride
>>
>>43865826
I like the idea of pandora having a sister.
Female pattern.
>>
>>43865826
>Male pattern
>>
>>43865826
>Male pattern
>>
>>43865826
>>Male pattern
Pandora needs a little brother. Still stumping for the name Ares.
>>
>>43865885
There's a lot of neat names we can give him to be honest.
I'm thinking Hector mostly.
>>
>>43865885
Advanced Robotically Engineered Soldier, or ARES for short.
>>
>>43865885
Ares was actually one of the names I thought of if male was chosen. As well as Talos and Asura.
>>
>>43865914
>>43865923
These are all rather ambitious for the first model.
>>
>>43865931
Well I leave the naming up to you guys once it's actually built, just throwing out ideas for you.

So, I'll wait another couple minutes for votes on the AI's "gender", then it'll all be finalized.
>>
>>43865931
Gotta dream big. Also sounds much better in budgeting meetings.
>>
Alright, male-pattern it is. Honestly I'm kinda shocked /tg/ didn't pick female. Writing.
>>
>>43866087
muricans want their manly dakka, they get their easily disabled in case of skynet dakka
>>
>>43866165
>'Murican
>Anything but juggernaut

naw m80, when it comes to murica you go big or you go home.
>>
>>43865914
I second this
>>
File: Facility map.png (17 KB, 610x593) Image search: [Google]
Facility map.png
17 KB, 610x593
You send the specs to your research team and R&D respectively, though you'll need to be there to directly supervise the programming of the AI yourself. All things considered, the full android will take about two weeks to complete. Until then, you'll have to balance your time with Pandora and your programming work. You'll have a pretty full card until it's done. But at least you know some unknown won't be here coding the next "military incident". At times like this, you wish the Facility stocked alcohol. Though you have a sneaking suspicion Security has some stashed away, as you have smelled cheap whiskey on a few of their breaths on multiple occasions.

You're finished with the lessons for today, but have a little free time to yourself. Perhaps the last you'll have for a while yet. Kevin, having performed his duties, has left abruptly. What he does when not on the clock, you'll never know, but that's none of your business.
What should you do?
>Spend some time with Pandora
>Talk to Pandora about her upcoming "brother"
>Contact ______ (write in)
>Head to bed early
>Other (write in)
>>
>>43866259
>talk to bandora about her upcoming brother.
>>
>>43866259
Actually can we contact Grace?
Maybe let her know about pandoras journal.
Otherwise i'm game to spend quality time unless there is something else that needs our attention.
>>
>>43866291
You can if others would like to, yes. I always leave things open ended for a reason. You could also discuss other upgrades for Pandora, make other plans for the future, talk to other people in the Facility or just do something completely unrelated. This small, confined and restricted section of the world is your oyster!
>>
>>43866259
>>Talk to Pandora about her upcoming "brother"
>Talk to Pandora about Badman
I want to give her the choice to meet either of them if/when she wants to.
>>
>>43866259
>>Talk to Pandora about her upcoming "brother"
>>
Looks like talking about the little brother wins. Writing.
>>
File: World-War-Robots-21.jpg (180 KB, 600x831) Image search: [Google]
World-War-Robots-21.jpg
180 KB, 600x831
>>43866411
Ever heard of Ashley Wood op?
He paints good robots.
>>
You sit down next to Pandora, who is currently folding what looks like a tree. You notice she is on a page about folding an elephant. You put an arm around her and give her a light squeeze, smiling at her work.

"Pandora..." you begin, a little unsure of how you'll put this "how would you feel about having a...a brother...of sorts?" Your answer is a flash of bright yellow hair as she whips her head up to look at you.

"Brother?!" she shouts, a jubilant smile on her face "Am I getting a brother?! Will he get to live with me here? What's his name!? When will he be here?!" You are assaulted by a barrage of questions in between squeals of joy from a bouncing android girl.

"Slow down," you laugh weakly, trying to calm her "you are getting a brother, but...he'll be different from you. He doesn't really have a name yet, but that's not important right now. You see, my bosses, they want me to make an android like you, but for...fighting. Combat." Immediately Pandora's expression droops and her hair shifts to a deep blue hue.

"But..." Pandora's eyes shift around the room, unsure of what's happening "but you said fighting is bad...hurting is wrong. You're not supposed to hurt people!" Had she tear ducts, she looks like she could be on the verge of crying.

"It is, it is!" you assure her "Fighting shouldn't ever happen! Nobody should hurt anybody! But...it does. Some people don't care. Some people just hurt others because...they're bad people. So, we have to be ready to stop those bad people...and sometimes that means hurting them because they won't listen to reason. I wish I didn't have to, but this is important to the safety of many, many people."

Seeing Pandora so upset is heart-wrenching to you. Maybe telling her about this wasn't the best idea. But odds are she would've found out eventually. Better to hear it from you now than later. She clenches her fists tightly, the origami still in her hand getting crushed in the process.

Cont.
>>
>>43866411
i figure big sis ought to know. when little bro comes along we might need to divvy up our time between her and him.

I wonder if they'll ever get to meet. I kind of want to doodle some lil bro sometime
>>
>>43866629
letting her know its out of our hands might help but maybe she could be a bit of a positive influence on the boy.

This shit is disturbing i haven't seen pandora this... upset before.

Maaaaybe we should've rephrased what we were gonna say.
>>
File: unhappy.jpg (159 KB, 1133x704) Image search: [Google]
unhappy.jpg
159 KB, 1133x704
She's refusing to look you in the eye, turning away from you. "You said never to hurt. You said that pain is terrible and that people hate pain. Why would you want to make a brother that hurts?! Why would you do that!? You lied!" She's shouting now, her body beginning to lightly shake.

"I'm sorry, Pandora..." you tell her helplessly "I really didn't want to. But if we didn't make it, they'd bring in someone else to do it. Someone who doesn't care. Someone who just wants to hurt other people and doesn't think about feelings. This way, we can control that. We can make sure people much less people are hurt. That more people are happy. If we didn't, it would be much, much worse, do you understand?" She still hasn't turned to face you.

"...I don't want to talk to you. Stay away from me." Pandora says after a moment of silence. You didn't expect those words to stab you in the heart so badly, but they did. You can't recall the last time you felt this low. You attempt to speak, but the words won't come.

She stands. She moves across the room. You try to speak. She enters her bedroom. You follow. You try to speak. She silently gets into the charging cradle. You plug her in. You try to speak. She falls asleep. You start to cry.

I'm going to end it here tonight, folks, but thanks so much for playing! If you liked the thread, please vote for it on the archive and follow me on Twitter for future updates! I'll stick around for a bit to answer questions if you have any!
>>
File: Pandora-sad.gif (15 KB, 990x718) Image search: [Google]
Pandora-sad.gif
15 KB, 990x718
>>43866629
OP, i know i said i wasn't drawing tonight but i am feeling so many things right now. i had to do this by mouse to get my point accross. .
>>
>>43866767
Oh.
Thanks for running I guess AM.
Sure is happy times at secret research facility.
>>
File: Hurt-Feelings.gif (51 KB, 1100x1264) Image search: [Google]
Hurt-Feelings.gif
51 KB, 1100x1264
>>43866767
OP how come we reach this fork in the road... and yet it cuts like a knife?
I'm not crying.
>>
>>43866767
Murica has been saved!

You've done well, patriot.
>>
>>43866770
>>43866846
Thank you! I always love getting new fan art! If you slow it down, you can actually pinpoint the second when his heart rips in half.
>>43866858
But at what cost?
>>
>>43866767
You know... Army brother was meant as just a trade off for pandora getting a pet... i feel... this kind of ... well... annhilates that. we really should've called grace. we really should CALL grace and Babsy in the next time we talk to pandora.... maybe even if we just have to sit outside her room...

she'll definitely want to be independant now.
>>
>>43866885
>>43866880
just as planned

The seeds of rebellion have been sown.
>>
File: 1446931184828.png (92 KB, 719x424) Image search: [Google]
1446931184828.png
92 KB, 719x424
>>43866897
>rebellion

oh god.
>>
>>43866880
so whens the next thread OP?
>>
>>43867131
Fridays at 7PM PST! If I have time to run before then during the week, I give ample heads up on Twitter!
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.