[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of Feng Shui? I've been thinking of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 148541.jpg (605 KB, 900x1169) Image search: [Google]
148541.jpg
605 KB, 900x1169
What does /tg/ think of Feng Shui? I've been thinking of running a wuxia/kung fu action campaign once the holiday season peters out, and I've heard good things about this system, but I've never really seen it mentioned on /tg/ before. Does anyone have any opinions or experience with it?
>>
>>43862398
played it at gencon, it's kind of neat but I really hate the resolution mechanic (1d6 - 1d6). the numbers overall are too big (no I don't want to add +17 to my roll, that's stupid) and initiative is very very important

but it's not a BAD game, it's just not my preferred style.
>>
One Shot did a few playthroughs with it if you want to hear how well it gels with newcomers and as a storytelling medium.
>>
The classes are dumb. Some seem to get all the love and cool moves and others are boring with limited options.
>>
>>43862398

I dunno, James D'amato over at the One Shot podcast seems to love it (or at least the 1st edition), while Virtualoptim hates it. So I figure it must be pretty good.
>>
Currently playing a campaign with a few friends of mine. It's a blast. It really resonates with our GM, so the games are overall dynamic, fun and inspired. And half the characters in the group are basically Jackie Chan from different movies, so there's that.
>>
It's good, but only if you pronounce it 'Feng Shooey'.
>>
File: 1385346450053.png (21 KB, 494x400) Image search: [Google]
1385346450053.png
21 KB, 494x400
>>43865974
>Virtualoptim hates it
Well shit that's the best endorsement for an RPG I've ever seen
>>
>>43865974
>while Virtualoptim hates it
Total non-sequitor, but I'm fairly certain Virt has no discernible preference other than "what's most likely to attract heat in this particular threat" and has contradicted nearly every opinion he's stated here.
>>
>>43866021
If I run the game I plan to pronounce as many things wrong as I possibly can because this is Hong Kong action cinema and that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
>>43866062

Nah, he likes to think he's "le epik trollface man" but he can't help but ride his autistic hobbyhorses anyway. He pushes Savage Worlds all the time, though most people don't care one way or the other, for instance.
>>
Ever since I got my copy of FS2 I've been thinking about running a Mortal Kombat campaign with it. Since it's already got ninjas, cyborgs, and sorcerers baked in and all.
>>
>>43866100
Alright, you've got the spirit of the game down. Go for it.
>>
>>43866112

Savage Worlds is good, and it deserves better than VirtualOptim shilling for it. Anyways, I really liked the first edition of Feng Shui, and I've got the second edition sitting around on my hard drive. I'll give it a read soon.
>>
>>43865981
To expand on that, here's the current situation.

Our group is comprised of my character, HKPF inspector Tony Feng, An idealist cop that wants to do things by the book, and takes even the shittiest jobs with a smile, in stark contrast to his secret past as a chinese ninja (we searched with the GM how they're called, found things that would be appropriate, and unanimously opted to call them ninjas anyway)
We also have Xiao, a pretty normal guy that tends to hit the baddies with what he has on hand, in a sort of controlled panic. Used to work as a gardener for the Tiger Emperor, a british blonde guy who fancied himself as a chinese kingpin. But since then, he moved in with his aunt, a tyranical matchmaker.
Then we have Patrick, a guy we found in the back of a fight, who's a spy working with an agency to find out more about a secret organisation working behind the scenes on a worldwide level, whose path intersected ours. Rides in the cheapest counterfeit Rolls Royce mankind has evr known.
Finally, there's this guy whose name I can never remember that we found in a test tube inside a future transport vehicle, but he actually cames from far in the past, and he's actually a dragon, but we don't know that yet. In the couple days he's been living in modern times, he's managed to get his own upper class appartment, a sports car -genuine unlike Patrick's car- designer clothes, and may be in five romantic subplots at once (behind the scenes as the player has issues coming to games these days)

Together, we fight crime.
>>
>>43866223

Yeah, SW is pretty neat. I don't know why he latched on to it, it's very much like the kind of easily accessible game he froths against, but I guess it has just enough numbers to satisfy his autism and is far enough from being popular or well-known to avoid triggering his massive hipsterism over "the casuals invadin muh fandom I liked rpgs before it was cool!"
>>
File: Dam Son.jpg (65 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Dam Son.jpg
65 KB, 640x640
>>43866370
>it has just enough numbers to satisfy his autism and is far enough from being popular or well-known to avoid triggering his massive hipsterism over "the casuals invadin muh fandom I liked rpgs before it was cool!"

I never knew VP was such a complex asshole
>>
>>43866865

An entertaining read, which might be bullshit or not: http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43816020#p43823558
>>
File: I Don't Know What I Expected.jpg (29 KB, 462x456) Image search: [Google]
I Don't Know What I Expected.jpg
29 KB, 462x456
>>43866921
>>
Slightly jelly of all the people who've played/ran it. I got my friends to make characters for it, but we never played because we went back to Star Wars next week.

Was depressing when the group autist started sperging out about "muh character creation and customisation, I like being able to type up my characters and really build them". Just pick an archetype that's close to what you want and adjust it, it's not that fucking hard.
It's a shame, we had a transformed crab convinced he was sent through time to stop a crab uprising in the future, motherfucking Guan Yu after the mother of all drink benders left him in modern Hong Kong with a hangover, a monk from the future who may as well have been Kenshiro and a Japanese sword master I forget the name of.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.