[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
40k RPG general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 27
File: 1404847652479.jpg (251 KB, 1242x993) Image search: [Google]
1404847652479.jpg
251 KB, 1242x993
Welcome to new 40k RPG General, Black Friday edition!

40k:
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

and 40k accessories:
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

Tell me about when you abused mechanics and made something totally, absolutely, utterly broken. Extra bonus for DMs being creative and actually punishing you in other ways than just banning the munch.
>>
Is it possible to have lasguns remain useful throughout the game? Would it be possible (and reasonable) to have a character at almost ascension levels still use the same lasgun he was issued as a rank conscript (somewhat modified, possibly)? (DH1e, if ascension didn't give it away)
>>
>>43861126
I don't think so. Pen 0 and stuff. Perhaps adding sanctified quality to it would help?
>>
>>43861126
If you port over the OW rules and talents for lasguns, then yes. For the most part.
>>
>>43861126
Mighty Shot would help a lot. So would called shot.

But it'd be hard.
>>
>>43861126
When I run a DH2 game I'm going to try a few things to encourage players to keep las/SP weapons around. It's going to mainly come down to how NPCs react to deaths caused by which weapons. If it's a las/SP weapon, they are likely to think the dead pissed off one of the hive gangs. Happens all the time. Depending on who exactly was killed, cults might not even react to cult members dying like this. Or they might seek revenge against a rival gang.

If someone finds a body that was killed by a bolter or rarer weapon, random citizens will talk about it because it's an unusual way to die. The cults will hear this and wonder why there is someone rich enough to afford such weapons wandering around. They will react. Maybe they accelerate their plans. Maybe they break out their heavy firepower. Maybe they stop taking part in cult activities till they are sure that the acolytes are gone (which the PCs Inquisitor will view as the acolytes failing). Maybe they do something stupid.

Basically there is a time for the PCs to be subtle. Which means using equipment that won't attract attention. There is also a time for purging, which means breaking out the big guns.

For las weapons specifically I'm going to run the campaign in locations where electricity is plentiful. Recharging power cells will be easy. All other ammunition will require acquisition rolls to replenish.

It might not work. But it will make the campaign more interesting even if it fails.
>>
>>43861126

Hot shot rounds, sights/scopes. A longlas is the better choice though.
>>
>>43864259
But isn't that kinda already how DH2e works?
>>
>>43865651
That might be how it's intended to work. But I'm not aware of anything within the rulebooks that specifically mentions that the weapons used by locals can affect how subtle various weapons the PCs might use are.

I've seen plenty of GMs and players complaining that their games always have players going for the bigger guns. So it's clear that a lot of GMs aren't running the game that way.
>>
>>43865783
Well, it isn't for actually using them, but for getting them that is the subtly hit which is why admech and paper pusher are neat backgrounds to get since they actually lower the rarity of something instead of just granting a bonus to getting things.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-27-22-39-44.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-27-22-39-44.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>43861126
Make them relics like pic
>>
File: 1287035763083.jpg (899 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
1287035763083.jpg
899 KB, 1600x1600
>>
File: mature.jpg (22 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
mature.jpg
22 KB, 300x225
>Tell me about when you abused mechanics and made something totally, absolutely, utterly broken. Extra bonus for DMs being creative and actually punishing you in other ways than just banning the munch.

Not me but I had an endgame Deathwatch Tactical Muhrine that was sniping with enough pen and damage to destroy an Ork Stompa. In one shot.

He was a Raptor with all the relic extra shit fancy shite attached to a relic boltgun with some kind of special ammo that I can't recall.

It's been two years and I'm still kinda mad.
>>
tell me of your last session boys
>>
Are Haemonculi statted anywhere in Only War? My group want to do a mini-campaign (five or so sessions) about special forces operating operationally. We've fought Orks, we've fought other Imperial Guard and we've fought Heretics, time to crack out the Dark Eldar.
>>
>>43865943
>give a laspistol the lance quality
>pen 0
Heh
>>
>>43860091
My Chem-hunter survived a wing-mounted Heavy Bolter barrage from a Thunderhawk because I healed by spending an Infamy point after every individual hit in the same round. He was also hopped up on Barrage and frenzying, so that helped. By the end of that combat encounter, he has instakilled two Land Speeders with just a Legacy Chainaxe (it was a big two-headed one tho) and then proceeded to fly into the Thunderhawk and slaughter every Space Marine it carried. I still have yet to see another baseline non-Nurgle non-corpulentvhuman survive shit that harsh.

Then he wrecked the party's returning shuttle for good measure, too, because the frenzy hadn't yet ended.
>>
File: 1349204610106.png (55 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1349204610106.png
55 KB, 184x184
Question to fellow GMs: What inspirations from other media have you lifted into your 40k campaigns? The setting is ripe for ripping off paying homage to cool stuff from elsewhere. So, what are your examples?

I remember, my first Only War game was ripe with Blackadder vibes- trenches, incompetence and snark were all-too-present, and the party was playing off it pretty nicely.

Another time I could mention was when I ran a small BC campaign, and for the ruler/crimelord of the planet the party started on I pretty much just took Marcellus Wallace wholesale. Sadly, they never got to meet his two most trusted renegade Space Marines who were literally Vince and Jules.
>>
>>43869145
>Vince and Jules
>Trustworthy or competent in any way shape or form.

>Believe it now Brother, we're in some serious shit! We must hasten to get this vehicle off the road!
>>
>>43869202
Well, yeah. Hence I'm sad the party never got to encounter them.

I also played in a short DH2e adventure that was expressly inspired by Bloodborne. Crazy gothic adventure was absolutely given, misterious mutations and silly weapons were present, and death resulted in Insanity points rather than burnt FP for Plot Reasons. Sadly, it fell apart after two sessions.
>>
>>43868278
Enemies of the imperium has stats for them
>>
does no one play 40k RPGs anymore? Surely there's still things to talk about

Say, what are your favourite obscure weapons? My pick would have to be the Sollex Electro-pult
>>
>>43870280
hi geza
>>
>>43870280
I'm currently GMing OW, while we have lots of fun it's nothing epic to write home about
>>
>>43861126
i'd suggest hacking something from Black Crusade's legacy weapon rules
>>
>>43872424
This is the RPG general. Can't really help you with army lists...
>>
File: 1327081108566.jpg (333 KB, 900x1523) Image search: [Google]
1327081108566.jpg
333 KB, 900x1523
Alright, another potential topic: BBEGs. Ever had any memorable ones?
>>
>>43872678
Watch Captain Andar Scarion. His ambition was to replace Watch Commander Mordigael, though mostly through intrigue, politics, network of alliances and subterfuge.
Unfortunately, the campaign is on indefinite hiatus so the plotline remains unresolved.
>>
>>43872678
Rogue Trader Hadarak Fel. He's the enemy during the introductory Rogue Trader adventure in the core book. After the party left him drifting in space with a dying ship, he was "rescued" by Chaos Pirates. Thus began his looooooong (1 year of real life, 1 game every week) journey of revenge.

It ended with the players peniless and having just friendly fired their own people due to a cogitator malfunction put into effect by Fel's sorcery. The final showdown included a Chaos Eversore Assassin fitted with a Halo Device, a Heretek with a stolen Necron Gauss Rifle, and a barely bound Daemonhost with two Arco-Flagellants for fun.

A lot of people died that night. There were visions of the Emperor, the burning of many Fate Points, and overall a sense that it was the end.

Somehow the Rogue Trader, his Arch-Militant, and his Navigator survived. They've proven themselves remarkably resilient / lucky ever since.
>>
>>43873035

Our GM is physically incapable of subtlety and intrigue. Everything is action-packed and full of explosions turned up to 11. We entered the game knowing full well that limitation though, at least, so we are able to act accordingly.
>>
>>43873255
That campaign had plenty of dakka and rule-of-cool stuff, the political part was mostly being played out during downtime, or initial part of the session. Both were linked to each other, such as Andar plotting to push the players to assassinate Ebongrave and then blackmail them with this or players getting renown diminished due to parts of their after action reports "disappearing"..
They hated the guy more than anything else in the world because nothing angers people more than knowing despite demigodlike prowess they were powerless to do anything to the guy.
Hope it will resume some day
>>
File: Imperial Knight.jpg (209 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Knight.jpg
209 KB, 1024x768
A bunch of us are starting a game where everyone will be playing Imperial Knights. We've got a hot-blooded noble with his Lancer, a quiet old veteran in his Styrix, a newly inducted noble with his Paladin, and a slightly unhinged nutcase in her Acheron. Everyone's in the galactic north, on the imperial frontier, and their House Torvus is Imperial aligned, not admech aligned. What are some enemies that would be up in the galactic north, and make sense for a party of Imperial Knights to face off against? I've never run a game of this scale before.
>>
>>43873670
Galactic north.. Isn't that were the Ghoul Stars are?
>>
>>43873764

I remember that there are Necrons up there, but that's all. I don't know what else is possibly up there.
>>
>>43874306
Why, orks, of course. Gorkamorka is in the galactic north
>>
>>43869145
I have a recurring daemon world that's essentially a nightmarish sesame street.
>>
>>43875041
...Elaborate, anon, elaborate!
>>
File: It's Daemon time.gif (1 MB, 280x340) Image search: [Google]
It's Daemon time.gif
1 MB, 280x340
>>43875121
I imagine it being like Bert strips.
>>
File: loadsapurity.jpg (30 KB, 450x429) Image search: [Google]
loadsapurity.jpg
30 KB, 450x429
Bump
>>
Would it be overkill to give a blood axes warboss +30 stealth in OW? Blood axes naturally already come at +10, kommandos would then have +20.
>>
>>43877929
If he is a Kommando Boss, sure, go wild.

Call him Big Boss for good measure
>>
>>43877952
All in due time anon, first they'll have to beat the Kolonel
>>
>>43877979
Will the final confrontation take place in Outta 'Evun against the new orky superweapon Metal Kan?
>>
>>43879739
That's definitely possible. It just so happens that the blood axes kommando warboss is a former merc too. Damn I didn't even intend to, but this shit is writing itself.
>>
>>43879816
Orks also lend themselves well to a miniboss squad.
>>
>>43879816
Metal Kan, the kunningest ork walker... It is dead 'ard, dead stompy, and can be even dead sneaky!

An' it has a kannon all for firin' da big Atomic bomm that Big Boss looted from da humies!
>>
File: Imperial Knight.jpg (233 KB, 854x1029) Image search: [Google]
Imperial Knight.jpg
233 KB, 854x1029
>>43873670
>not setting the game in the Eastern Fringe
>not having your players fighting Tyranids
>not having them slay literal alien dragons like noble knights of old
5/10 would not cancel the apocalypse with

In all seriousness, I hope you make your players feel like the big damn heroes they are as Imperial Knights.
>>
>>43880302
>you'll never lead an entire formation of knights as it stomps through the Tyranid tide, heading for the Biotitan
>you'll never hear the satisfying crunch of every step crushing more and more of their number
>you'll never focus fire on synapse creatures, sending the horde around them into mindless, self-destructive disarray
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_6iFYiryY will never play as the biotitan finally approaches, and all knights prime their weapons, ready for their final battle
>>
>>43880302
>>43880541

>people wanting to play meme characters and mary sues over real characters
>>
File: 40k pulp commissar.png (387 KB, 626x353) Image search: [Google]
40k pulp commissar.png
387 KB, 626x353
>>43872678
My Deathwatch campaign had a bunch

A Tau commander that they repeatedly clashed with, until the group faced him and his entire hunter cadre down aboard his Manta. They thought the manta exploding in the upper atmosphere or the blood angel eviscerating him did the deed. They ended up facing him again a long while later, now with an improved suit and eyes set on revenge, they ended up cutting him down once more, but at at a pretty hefty price.

Warboss Bronze-eye, one of the main antagonists of the campaign, they faced him down multiple times and every time he was a sneaky little shit and would get away. He almost succeeded in gathering one of the largest WAAAGHs in Imperial history, until the group killed him during the final session.

Dagon Overlord, this guy I had a ton of fun with, a hive tyrant that re-spawns with it's memory intact? Perfect reoccurring villain material. After it's first two deaths it became clear to the party that the hivemind was sending the Dagon after them to hunt them specifically, their impasse ended when they managed to shoot the hive ship that was re-spawning him with a cyclonic missile.

Azhek Ahriman, yup I used a named character, during the campaign he was gathering forces for an invasion into Imperial territory of epic proportions, turn'd out it was all a cover for the super weapons he was going to try to use to blow up Sol. The group had a hell of a time with him (I made him psy rating 15 and gave him pretty much every power in the book) they didn't quite kill him though, he gated out in the last seconds.

The Blood Angel, at the end it was revealed that one of my players had been corrupted the entire campaign, used as a tool by Ahriman and the dark gods to ensure the firing of the superweapon and the destruction of Sol. He had been granted terrible power or being a champion of the four gods though, and the party had to martyr themselves, they destroyed the gun before it could fire, but they all died.
>>
>>43881752
Sounds like that was one hell of a Deathwatch campaign
>>
>>43882014
it lasted for about a year, and yeah it was a big one. It's been two years since we played it so my memory is a bit dodgy on every little detail but I'll try to put the entire plot into a short summary for ya.

>campaign starts of normally, missions before incident include extracting important stuff during a Nid invasion, capturing a Tau ethereal, destroying a Stompa before it can be completed and a WAAGH started. etc.
>Then the party goes on a rather special mission, they find and save Commissar Yarrick from an Ork prison, during this mission they pick up on intelligence that the Orkz in this WAAAGH have made a truce with the Dark powers, Yarrick speaks of his hunt for Thrakka and the worry that he will succeed on usurping the WAAGH adding even more power to his forces.
>the party reunites Yarrick with his contingent of Black Templars and they go to discuss their findings with the high council of Erioch.
>during this meeting they are in the council chambers alone with the entire leading class of this sector of Deathwatch, and the guy representing all of them on the Achilius Crusade's council.
>turns out he's a traitorous shitter, to kill two birds with one stone he uses warp fuckery to kill the entire council, and then blames the party, Yarrick, and his Templar contingent for the ignoble deed.
>they manage to escape immediate execution and the whole station goes to shit with infighting, party goes to retrieve their gear and the Station's Keeper helps them along their way.
>They escape and embark upon a quest to clear their names
>Yarrick has some pull and some Inquisitors that are at odds with the shitter help.
>Inquisitors say Deathwatch is now pretty much doing nothing useful, new council is either influenced by the shitter, or are corrupted themselves.
>so the party is set upon the task of clearing their names, and stopping the forming a WAAAGH/Black Crusade that could destroy the entire Jericho Reach.

to be continued next post
>>
>>43882735
A bunch of shit happens around here, this was the meat of the campaign, but this is a short summary, not a novel, so I'll try to just drop the important bits.

>party flies around the Reach gathering intelligence and learns of even worse shit than the potential WAAGH Crusade, a superweapon capable of destroying entire planets at a whim, from a pretty great distance.
>Turns out the Orkz are being manipulated and Yarrick was tricked, Ghazgkull was never here at all, it was Ahriman and his sorcerers tricking the Orkz into thinking it was him. But they had long enough to corrupt the WAAGHs leader Bronze-eye into a full on servant of the dark gods. He then converts most of his WAAGH to do the same.
>they learn that Ahriman and his forces gather at the Jericho warp gate, cover up from the traitor shitter has him getting away with this
>eventually the party gathers enough evidence and power to return to station Erioch and set things right, they kill the traitor shitter and reveal the truth to the entire station
>now with the Deathwatch on their side once more, with the help from an Imperial commander they'd assisted earlier on in the campaign, they set off with a scratch fleet to try and save everyone.
>they warp in and the entire place is a clusterfuck, their fleet is outnumbered a few hundred to one
>but though a miracle they make their way down to the surface of the superweapon, from there they fight their way up to the top, they kill Bronze-eye along the way.
>at the top they see Ahriman completing his dark ritual, he uses the Warp gate to open a portal to a view of Sol, he intends to shoot the Terran sun with it.
>party has a huge ass battle with him, they eventually beat him down, then laughing he reveals his dark servant and gates out.
to be continued...
>>
File: Squad Xenos.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Squad Xenos.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43883038
>The Blood angel, one of the last surviving three of the original party, is a traitor, he was corrupted long ago for this purpose, to make sure nobody can stop the plan and the destruction of Terra can be assured.
>party fights valiantly but he's been championed by all four of the Dark gods
>in a last act of desperation they attack the gun platform itself
>it detonates and their are all consumed in a purifying explosion, along with a good portion the fighting fleet surrounding it

At this point I just told them what came of their sacrifice.

From the gate flies in a Terran protector fleet, along with a lot more over the next few hours. With the Orkz crippled, the super weapon destroyed, and Ahriman fucked off to wherever, it can be firmly maintained that the party saved pretty much fucking everyone ever.

The gate's bullshit was reversed fairly quickly and it went back to "normal", the party were interred as Imperial heroes, and because of atmospheric interference and a lack of witnesses, nobody truly learned of what happened on the surface.

Yarrick and his Templars went back to hunting the real Ghazzy, Ahriman went back to trying to find another way into the BL (btw that was his motivation for the whole goddamn thing, promises were made if he should succeed.)

Watch station Erioch maintains a "tomb" for the fallen squad Xenos, above it hangs a grand tapestry telling of their deeds.

I plan on continuing the story from there with my group, we already have a bit with a short Rogue Trader game we did, but that'll be a story for another time.

and yes I know the party full on special snowflakes, but welcome to Deathwatch, and fuck you we had a lot of fun.

Also here's a thing I made a while back, just a bunch of quotes about that campaign I made for my friends for kicks
>>
>>43882735
>>43883038
>>43883457
Nice, and don't worry about Speshul snowflaking, Deathwatch is the kind of game where you should be saving billions of lives imo.
>>
>>43880541

Well fuck, I might as well end it now then....
>>
There was a couple homebrew books posted a few threads back I apparently failed to download, anyone have links to them?
>>
>>43884683
Which ones?
>>
>>43884783

They were a couple of Rouge Trader books I remember one of them *might* of had rules for playing vairous Xeno races. I'm also curious about the homebrew the anon above was using for a Knight campaign.
>>
>>43884885

One is http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf

and the others is http://www.mediafire.com/view/nf19t1z8p2prwrx/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf.

The first one has things like eldar and necrons, and the second one has the knights in it.
>>
>>43884976

Ah Bitchin, that's what I was looking for! Thanks!
>>
>>43861126

Speaking from personal experience, yes.

I currently have a Guardsman character who began at rank one and is now in Ascension who has never stopped using his Long-Las as his primary weapon (Though I've added a Red-dot Sight and a Custom Grip). With that said, the only reason it's been viable is because of the Accurate quality combined with Variable Las settings. Ordinary Lasguns have their advantages early to mid-game, but even with Variable Las settings, they still need some kind of extra boost to make them viable later on.

The Triplex Lasgun from the Only War core is also pretty viable and relatively versatile (can mutually-exclusively gain Accurate or Proven 5).
>>
File: Ship Avvie.jpg (20 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Ship Avvie.jpg
20 KB, 300x225
I reallly should find some heretics to run Black Crusade with as foils to the DH game I'm running. Always thought that would be fun...
>>
>>43885602
Doing a joint game right now and I must say it is insanely stressful.
One is an Alpha Legionnaire and the other two are other chaos space marines and even managing to run these two groups on the same world is painful because of time constraints when one party isn't present and time keeps going in the session
The hardest part is keeping a rigid time structure because if they go beyond that and the other group doesn't advance because (obviously) they aren't there it gets bad real quick
>>
>>43885721

My DH group would be rather easy to muzzle either through obstacles or hard time constraints for the sessions. If I was so lucky to get a BC group that would operate with similar parameters, I think it would manageable. Not easy, but certainly workable.

Part of the trick is to keep multiple plates spinning. Larger tasks with small tasks and small side tasks that can be accomplished to help account for delays. Of course, if the acolytes tarry too long, the heretics start to get the upper hand....

Also, not being too fussed if one player can't make it for a session and finding a way to advance things, possibly their character an agreed side-project or plot for the sesssion. (Though if they consistently can't do the game, of course there's the talk, but that's to worry about after finding interested players...)
>>
I'm getting kind of tired of waiting for FFG to release Enemies Without digitally. Any word on when they'll let it loose?
>>
Ok so I've recently joined an only war game and the GM is giving out exp(!). I'm playing as a tech priest in a light-mech regiment that uses hit and run tactics via heavy use of Taurus.

Currently, I'm functioning as a driver since I rolled high agi and int. Can you recommend some advances and give me some tips with pimping my ride?

Specialist milestone advances would also be appreciated. I'm currently considering Crimson exemplar but thats just because I dont know what I'm doing.
>>
Is the shield of humanity book in the OP a scan or fully digital?

My internet is slow and I'd rather not wait all that time downloading 300+mb
>>
File: Glory.jpg (136 KB, 485x762) Image search: [Google]
Glory.jpg
136 KB, 485x762
So I read a very helpful and interesting thread explaining how to do a less rail roady Only War campaign. Seeing how I'm getting all the Only War books by the middle of December in preparation for my move to Idaho had some questions. First of all what are the basics for running Only War games? I've always been interested, but was held back for a while due to it's somewhat restrictive looking style in comparison to Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader. So while I have researched and looked for inspiration for Only War Campaigns, but it's always nice to hear the basics and from /tg/ no less.

Also I might need some help getting past some writers block as well. Possibly some story quality improvement as well.
>>
File: 1433237887551.png (564 KB, 700x638) Image search: [Google]
1433237887551.png
564 KB, 700x638
>>43875186
>not Ernie, god of torment
>>
Gunna be running Deathwatch soon. What should I be doing/expecting to make it smooth and gud?
>>
>>43872678
Not exactly the BBEG, but I had sgt. Rabble in an OW campaign. Sassiest sergeant in the IG fucking around with the group, which were Scintillan Fusiliers. Somehow, the PC sergeant always failed his rolls against him, leading to our group referring to a series of bad rolls as the 'Curse of Rabble'.
>>
>>43881487
I'm sure the backstory of bob the caveman recruited on a rogue trader ship to pull on chains all his life is very sad and well written anon, but it doesn't make for a good game
>>
>>43886866
In shield of humanity there's an advanced specialty for techpriests that is all about vehicle interface
>>
>>43886920
A scan, and sadly a pretty bad one, I ended up getting the real book
>>
>>43865783
I think it is also a case of players coming from games with stilted item acquirement (D&D *cough*) being amazed that any item can be had with merely a good dice roll and going nuts.
In my game, people were going for all manner of customized, rare shit literally from the word go, while I was looking for frags, smoke grenades and laspistols.
>>
>>43872678
Phrank Frankus, the party psyker who was captured by local enforcer forces and, during interrogation, went full daemonhost.
The party infiltrated the prison to try and silence him, on boss' orders, but failed, with Phrank escaping thru the warp.
He then was a perpetual thorn in the party's side, setting enemies against them, cropping up at fairly inopportune times, using debilitating psychic powers on them at critical junctures, and generally trolling the fuck out of them for ingame years.
Phrank is still at large, and when I need a foe the players will hate, is my preferred go to BBEG, even cropping up in other games I've run.
>the girl is the pic is sorta hot in a punk way, totally would fuck her mouth
>>
>>43883457
Shit like this makes gaming great.
>>
>>43886939
OW gets a bum rap.
The only "restriction" is that you are all guardsmen and that you have orders to follow.
Generally, I like using single worlds with a lot of intrigue and things going on behind the scenes to play up how, sometimes, being a grunt is a blessing and curse.
If the group gets an assignment, make the MoE very open ended, and intelligence sparse. It allows the players to approach the situation the way they want to, and allows the GM to be flexible in what is, or is not, present.
Always remember that the players are a single part of an overarching war effort; I liked to roll out nearby battles for who would win, then play up whoops of success on the vox, or panicked screams for support, artie, flyboys, ANYTHING GOD EMPEROR SAVE US. Just as often, the group would get empty static, except that one time they got droning chanting that made the temperature in the chimera drop 30 degrees.
>>
>>43886939
The obivous and often overlooked first step is watching some war movies, helps a lot with lingo and how to set the tone. Then you may read some books to know at least superficially how things go and how they can happen. You don't have to go full sperglord, but knowing at least something of what you're supposed to portray is priceless and gives an excellent base to build upon.

After that, it's mostly up to what your party wants out of the campaign.
>>
Is the Only War line actually dead, or are people holding out for a final splat that gives Storm Troopers, Commissars and Psykers some love?
>>
>>43888612
FFG doesn't give a half eaten rat's ass for 40k anymore. Star Wars is a license to print money, so OW got shitcanned and they are slow-rolling and halfassing DH 2e. So don't expect much more than Enemies Beyond and maybe a couple adventures, at least not until sometime next year when the Star Wars hype train finally ends.
>>
To be fair, Enemies Beyond was announced like the day Enemies Without was released, so they haven't given up on 40k yet. Though they may be pushing out so they can get through the system as quickly as possible.

In any case, FFG has printed so much shit already that they could announce "yeah we're done with 40k forever" and there'd still be more than enough shit to roleplay for decades.
>>
>>43888612
I guess I'll start working on home-made advanced specialties, when the campaign will come to the point where additional rules for massed battles are needed I'll work on those too.
>>
Hi guys.

My friend and I was clowning around with caracter creation in DH2 and realised you can make some really edgy caracters.
In this case a Feral World Outcast Assassin, who is also a psyker.

I wanna know - whats the edgiest PCs you've ever encountered?
>>
>>43883457
Why no quote from Captain Indrick Boreale?
>>
>>43890262

The Tome of Blood from Black Crusade has some pretty good rules for mass battles. Take a look there first.
>>
So my Dark Heresy campaign might be coming to an end shorty and the players are interested in going Rogue Trader next.

Is there a mostly agree upon set of guidelines to bring Rogue Trader up to the Only War/Dark Heresy set of rules?
>>
>>43891980
In what way are they different from the ones in OW? More than massed battles I guess the system requires some details on how the players can get higher in the command chain.
>>
>>43892322
I run my RT game with OW combat rules. Updating the skills and talents is kind of hopeless, but combat converts seamlessly enough.
>>
>>43892424

Not sure, but I'd have to look.
BC's system is that every army has a combat score. Each has a base score due to its training and it gets additional CS due to modifiers such as equipment type and environment (so a Space Marine would have a base of 50, +10 because of their equipment, +20 if they're defending a fortified point)

In terms of officer influence, though, Black Crusade allows the players to use their skills (such as command, intimdate, weapon/ballistics, drive vehicle, etc.) to influence the CS of their army. +2 for the initial success, an additional +2 for every two degrees of success beyond that.

From their you roll the two armies CS scores counting each sides degree of success. First to six wins.

I've added a bit of my own homebrewing to those rules, though.

-First, it is not just the first to six successes overall; it must be six above the opponent
-Second, each degree represents a tenth of the opponent being wiped out, therefore getting to 10 degrees means you've utterly wiped out the opponent

It's pretty good to simulate battles instead of having to run large horde v horde combat.
>>
>>43892666
This is probably more in depth than OW, since the system in OW core is mainly just putting command scores against each other, will look into BC.
>>
>>43891004
>edgiest
this meme needs to die.

there distasteful or tacky characters. there are un-orthodox character concepts.
neither of them can be classified as anything remotely resembling edgy.
stop using this word.
>>
>>43891004
That's not really the right use of the word edgy. That's just a Feral world outcast unsanctioned Psyker assassin.
>>
File: 1297607943662.jpg (756 KB, 720x514) Image search: [Google]
1297607943662.jpg
756 KB, 720x514
/tg/, how do I DM Rogue Trader?
I've DMed Dark Heresy and Deathwatch before - they seem easy, but I'm at loss with RT.

How do I run it "right" because as of now I imagine it to be a high level Dark Heresy game with voidship combat and main goal is attaining material wealth rather than fighting heresy.

This doesn't feel right. What am I missing?
>>
I feel like a terrible person, I wanted to make a qausimodoesc mutant but ended up making a broken mess of stats and talents, I felt like the negatives balanced the positives but the GM of this game plays it super combat heavy and makes it too easy for my mutant to actually get to the enemies so the negatives are non-consequential, so I just feel too strong. What do?
>>
>>43895031
I run it like a combination of Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek, and general murder hoboing in space.

The way I see it your group can fall into a number of archetypes: pirates, explorers, conquerors, missionaries, merchants, fleet admirals or rich assholes with too much money dicking around in space. You (or your party) pick two or three of those, watch movies, TV shows or read books with those themes and then slap the 40k filter over it.
>>
>>43888030
>>43888185
Thanks for the answers guys, I really appreciate it. I did however think of one more question. I'm planning this campaign a little far ahead, and that presents a problem. How far should I be planning this campaign. I have a "Chapter" or two already planned out for a cohesive story. But how far should I go with actual planned content? I've taken the advice of leaving the means of completion up to the players and letting them play around with it more than I would usually. But how far can that go, when should start really playing it off the cuff and throwing out the proverbial script? I'm sorry if I sound a little neurotic, but I've always had problems with rail roading with my obsessive need to have a schedule and a plan for everything. Luckily my players have said my railroads are actually really fun, so that's a relief.
>>
File: GUMSHOE - Dark Heresy - v.1.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GUMSHOE - Dark Heresy - v.1.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
I'm hoping to be starting a Gumshoe Dark Heresy game soon based on the attached.
DH as pure police-procedural.

Any DH-style investigation ideas? Murders, missing artifacts/persons, mutilated bodies, etc.
>>
>>43895850
Don't plan ahead chapters in a linear fashion, plan for modular missions that you can swap around, works even better if you want to take a sandbox approach. Note down some missions you want to put in the campaign and then insert them when it suits the narrative.
>>
>>43895132
Stop it.
Unless you are in power armor, autoguns and firebombs will still murder you dead.
>>
>>43896217
That's a pretty vague request. What do you need more specifically?
>>
File: 1448366449850.jpg (107 KB, 1151x715) Image search: [Google]
1448366449850.jpg
107 KB, 1151x715
>>43897918
set-ups and mystery ideas? neat clues that PCs find? that kind of stuff.
>>
>>43860091
So in black crusade the GM wanted a more subtle, subvert the population game rather then the high adventure combat campaign that had finished before. Now the everyone did make suble talky characters but I remebered that the GM likes to throw PC wipe encounters at us without really thinking it through; so I went a tech preist with high knowledge occult and medicine; sure enough we are later facing a deathwatch team packed with heavy weapons, a dreadnaught and a supprise round. It is at this point that the GM finally realizes that the ritural of fleshmolding (modified in game to be chaos undivided, cause I wanted to be the only character not alligned to she who thirsts) can be pretty broken
In the supprise round I take 5 hits from the dreadnaughts assult cannon, my turn comes around and i spit out the bullets then proceed to scream the dred to death with a weapon-teched (int bonus 17) doom siren. Two rounds later ive knocked out the librarian and healed the couple of points of damage the dred did; the rest of the party also does fairly well as they too have been upgraded with the ritural (not to my level of course).
We later learn the GM intended either none of us the survive or only a couple
>>
>>43898703
>(int bonus 17)
WHAT
>>
>ripper rays
holy shit, so much fun
>>
>>43886004
me and several other players would be interested if you'd want to, whats your skype
>>
>>43897962
Book of Judgement has some tables for random crimes/clues/investigation scenes.
>>
Why are volkite weapons so good

I've literally found my weaponfu. The only things this gun can't solve is vehicles and tyranids bigger than them.
>>
>>43875121
I entirely forgot to check for replies.

Senesme is a world deep within the Screaming Vortex nominally ruled over by the Lord of Change Be'eg Brrd. His rule is contested by an upstart human champion of Khorne known locally as Ulmo the Red, known as much for his brutal combat prowess as for his tendency to erupt in a torrent of keening, high-pitched cackles in combat.

Unrelated to the Daemon World are a pair of recurring characters in my Rogue Trader and Deathwatch games: Burrt the Freeboota Flash Git and Mon'Fio'Ui R'Ni, renegade Tau engineer. Burrt serves as muscle and is allowed to think he makes all the decisions, but R'Ni does most of the thinking. Mostly they're good at providing a deniable asset for the right price.
>>
I was wondering how many guardsmen would it take to take a a small city? A platoon, two platoons? A entire regiment?
>>
File: 1446700212357.png (257 KB, 738x654) Image search: [Google]
1446700212357.png
257 KB, 738x654
>>43883457
this was pretty good, I mean saving the whole galaxy is a bit much, but you had it in a way that made sense at least.

solid 8/10 would play
>>
>>43895031
RT is a game where your players create the story.

Prepare to DM on your feet, my RT campaign became them mostly hunting massive bounties. Last thing I would have expected, but they loved it.
>>
>>43905826
Depends on the city's defenses and the regiment.
>>
>>43905826
Well that depends on a fuckload of things really

Regiments in 40k can be 1000 men to 10,000 men

I would assume a full regiment at least though, because the Imperial guard always uses overwhelming force, and because regiments tend to operate together and not fragmented.
>>
>>43898784
he probably has unnatural intelligence
>>
I desire judgment on a plan to save my warband.
We were ambushed by a small group of local headhunters during a trek between hive cities, and once again, one character burned to death (despite MASSIVE efforts to aid him), burning a fate point, and another lost their shit and began attacking me, only stopping when after several blows, I riposting, injuring her arm, where the noble tackled her to the ground. Fortunately, the adept drove off the remainder of the enemy with suppressing fire from her laspistol.
Our situation is that the warband numbers 5, with 2 critically injured. We are 9 kilos out from the hive city, in the dark, in a snowstorm on the tundra, and most of the warband is already reaching exhaustion.
My plan is to take the body of the dead headhunter and move the whole group 50 meters left, use the body and any spare items as fuel and make a fire. Have the group eat rations and suck back recaff until leaks from their ears, and after an hour, hightail it with all possible haste to the hive.
I, meanwhile, will set out alone into the snowstorm with a scanner, bow+arrows, laspistol, couple of grenades and my monosword to waylay what we have realized was the scout party of a larger force, buying time for the rest of the group to get away.
On a scale of 1 to Tactical Genius, how good a plan is this?
On a scale of 1 to Consign your soul to the Emperor, how likely am I to die?
>>
>>43905971
>to 10,000

Chenkov's regiment outzerged nids, so...
>>
>>43895031
Proactive players.
There's no mystery to solve, no diabolical Cult to hunt down in a pre-determined location.

Rogue Trader is about pointing at a location on the map, assembling your resources, and going to plunder it for your Dynasty, and the God-Emperor.

You have to have a group (or at least a Rogue Trader) who's happy to set the group direction, and who has the drive to bring this adventure to fruition. I've found that people who are good GMs are generally good Rogue Traders.
>>
>>43906080

>going into a storm alone

1 on the Tactical Genius scale
10 on the Cosign your Soul to the Emperor scale

Good luck, battle brother.
>>
Guys I got a Rogue Trader core manual, but there's nothing written about how calculate hp in the character generation chapter or anywhere else. someone can give me a hand here? I tried to reverse calculate the method from the npc profiles but without any success
>>
>>43908708
I'm pretty sure HP is dependent on homeworld, is it not?
>>
>>43908564
It's actually the best plan I can think of, in game and out of game.
I am unhurt, well armed, sneaky as hell and brutally kunnin' to boot. My job is literally to protect the warband, and the only other warrior is the sororitas at -3 wounds because of me.
The heretek is at -9, and the other 2 consist of a outcast seeker and a sage adept.
Meanwhile, I, the feral IG assassin, can actually survive going out into the storm, taking down mooks with fire arrows and running fast enough to lure them away while the others book it.
>>
>>43908810
Yeah, your homeworld determines what you roll for starting wounds.
>>
Only War: how do you deal with players asking you how much are they getting for pay? By fluff some entertainment stuff is provided by the IG itself but other services in the baggage train are most probably reliant on something other than bartering meltaguns around, even if it meants mixing up whatever local currency can be found. What do?
>>
>>43908810
>>43909438
Shame on me for not checking that section well enough, I guess
>>
>>43909584

Probably some form of credit within the Guard Corps that can be bartered with locals rather than any set currency.
Hell, they're guardsmen, I wouldn't bat an eye if they weren't paid at all.
>>
Had an occurrence over the weekend. In Dark Heresy 1st we...lost a character. Ascension level, the entire party is separated. The party each pursue their own goals etc, it all works out normally.

However, their Inquisitor (a monodominant Puritan of ordo hereticus) got fucked up a bit. We use the Navis Primer rules for every warp jump, because it makes it a bit more interesting. Only, he's been sent back in time a few years. The rest of the players, and their characters don't know this.

How badly can this go? He's effectively gone from the campaign as he now exists prior to its events and is in a position to do something about it. Who watches the Timeways? Is it Tzeentch or do the Necrons have dibs on that?
>>
>>43910191
>>43909584
I would suspect the Guard withholds your pay until you get on leave and/or your tour of duty is up, at which point you get paid all your back pay at once. It's how a decent number of militaries do it, and with the expected survival rate of Guardsmen it's a great savings in wages.
>>
>>43910225
Why, the thought-to-have-disappeared Ordo Chronos, of course! Feel free to throw in silly Dr. Who references.
>>
>>43910822
But what do they do? Do they sever the broken time-line by killing the time traveller?
>>
>>43910948
Either that, or Inquisitor Who just shows up in the on-board private quarters of the Inquisitor, flashes his own badge, and then begins a very important conversation about what exactly he is permitted to do in the past if he doesn't want to end up a desiccated corpse stuck in a wreck that is slowly being sucked into a Space Hulk
>>
>>43910948

Probably, seeing as they are members of the Inquisition. Though the fact their target is an inquisitor himself might mean they would assist him in his return to his regular time period.
>>
>>43910948
They exist(ed) to prevent "interruptions" in time that occur as a result of warp travel, usually backwards
The extent to which they do this is unknown since they kinda just disappeared but a basic thing that I always espouse when they are brought up is that they exist to prevent something like a chaos space marine armada in 40k from going back to terra in 30k then high fiving themselves as they siege terra
>>
>>43911702
Or they deal with alternate timeline bullshit when the Warp accidentally opens a portal into a timeline where, say, humanity is crushed under the heel of the undead, soul-devouring Akuma King and his twenty Legions of god-monsters. The general Imperium rarely hears about it because the Ordo Chronos takes care of it and silences all witnesses.
>>
>>43903285

Because they're excellent all purpose weapons with good hitting power, okay armor penetration, and can trigger fury often. Theyre like pulse rifles in that regard, but volkite relies on wounding while pulse relies on hitting.
>>
>>43911702
I know why they exist, I was just wondering if any fluff beyond Dr Who references existed. Ah well.
>>
Would you GMs allow for a discount on xp for skills/talents if you have a dedicated instructor for them with the time to teach?
>>
>>43913054
Yeah, that sounds reasonable enough.
>>
>>43912602
There are a few mentions of them, scattered throughout the 40K RPG books.

There's a mention of them in Ascention, though it doesn't go into much detail.

They're referenced in Deathwatch as being the faction that created the Omega Vault, a vault full of tools for 'when they're needed', which is also filled with a horrible disease which only kills non-humans and non-Space Marines.

They're also referenced in Black Crusade, with regards to the 'planet' known as the Gates of Moment. It's basically a gigantic fucking chronal shitfuck, travelling across the surface you travel to different times when the planet was in different locations and different times. Planetary invasions by Tyranids, the Eye of Terra, pretty much anywhere. Allegedly an entire Order of Inquisitors devoted to trying to police time-space fuckery tried to fix/destroy it, but failed.

Unless you use them in your game, the canon interpretation is they probably wiped themselves all out through a gigantic Paradox.
>>
>>43906080
>party of 6
>1 dead
>2 down
>1 insane and injured
>enemy patrol driven off by a girl with a pistol
>wat do

It's obvious - get a better GM.
For now, though, google "travois."
>>
>>43916719
>people dying in an intentionally deadly system
>bad GM

Go die
>>
>>43916719
Uh, where did you get that from?
No one is dead, someone had to burn a fate point.
Of 5, 2 people are in critical wounds, and one person went nuts but snapped out of it.
The enemy patrol was driven off via suppression fire (no cover, so they fell back).
Somehow, you got the entirely wrong picture.
>>
Are Ork Kommandos statted anywhere?
>>
Sorry if this question is out of place in this thread but I'm fairly new to 40k and wanted to know if a necron overlord can play with a warscythe AND a staff of light
>>
>>43925732
Haven't played for a lifetime, you'd better ask in the general >>43912743
>>
>>43913610
Good enough, thanks Anon.
>>
How does /tg/ feel about using established characters in their adventures?

Was thinking it might be good to have the group's inquisitor go up against one of the Daemon-Prince Primarchs and die in a glorious faction but I'm not sure if it'd be too cheesy
>>
>>43927311
>go up against one of the Daemon-Prince Primarchs
That would not be glorious, it would be a curb stomp.
Even the top anti-daemon warriors in the galaxy struggle to do that.
Have them cameo, sure, but not feature. The story earlier about Ahriman trying to just/not as planned some shit was how you do it.
>>
>>43927334
>trying to just/not as planned some shit
wut
>>
>>43891064
He wasn't part of the campaign, the quotes in that doc were all characters featured in the campaign
>>
>>43927351
He tried to just as planned, it turned into not as planned.
>>
>>43927334

Who said curb stomps aren't glorius?
>>
>>43925272
There's statblocks for them in Koronus Bestiary and one of the Only War adventures.
>>
>>43869145
I am not sure why Anon but you just gave me an awesome idea to steal the Home world plot and make it into a RT game somehow....
>>
>>43927334

Primarchs are only toughness 6-7 2+/3++ on tabletop. They can be killed the same way one kills a riptide, wraithknight, or biotitan. Its not that hard.
>>
>>43929126
How many of those things are taken out, on the table, by small groups of regular humans?
>>
File: muffled.jpg (14 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
muffled.jpg
14 KB, 500x375
>>43903483
>>
>>43929159

A Solar auxilia veletaris tercio with volkite guns or meltaguns can do well. Militia can just spam shots from 2 point troops.

In fact in the rpg it would be easier, since the primarch's main tt advantage is hiding in a squad of ablative wounds, something that can't be done in the rpg really.
>>
>>43929254

Sorry my mistake, veletaris cannot take meltas. But they can take volkite which can flood with wounds.
>>
>>43929254
If you're going OW he can get in a formation, only hits with doubles will be assigned to him
>>
>>43929478

Which book is that from?
>>
>>43930123
Enemies of the Imperium, it has rules for formations. I guess they're like hordes from DW.
>>
File: 1446285038246.jpg (89 KB, 698x840) Image search: [Google]
1446285038246.jpg
89 KB, 698x840
>>43929126
>taking the tabletop as reference
>>
>>43930932

It's more canon and fluff related than the RPG will ever be. Though it obviously differs from the rpg, its power levels are useful for comparative analysis
>>
File: Warhammer-orcs.jpg (102 KB, 1024x730) Image search: [Google]
Warhammer-orcs.jpg
102 KB, 1024x730
Another question for an Only War campaign. So I've been researching the hierarchy and organization of the Imperial Guard, the various duties of each officer so I can assign the proper roles to npc officers. I've been reading up on trench warfare and it's specifics to make sure that the first mission feels accurate as possible. But something occurred to me, ho much detail do I actually need to make this game run smoothly and feel genuine? Like for example in my campaign notes, the city that the players regiment will be attempting to take has been assaulted several times and of course each attempt has failed. The city sits on a hill with a trench network set up the by the guard surrounding it. The guard have been held back by the natural defense of the hill, the surprisingly well armed rebels and their knowledge of the Kalish Dust mine shafts dotting the landscape around it.

And now I worry, are there any gaping plot holes in the set up that players will find weird and question breaking their immersion? Would it make sense to them? Does the organization of the officers and the way they run thing match up to how the imperial guard would run? Or would the players actually even give two shits about all that?

Sorry about the rant there, I just want to make sure I'm making the best possible campaign that I can for my players, it's really been eating me during the writing.
>>
File: Disdain for Plebs 3.jpg (59 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
Disdain for Plebs 3.jpg
59 KB, 400x462
>>43930932

>not taking the tabletop as reference
>>
>>43931826
>its power levels are useful for comparative analysis
I disagree
>>
>>43935408

Well, you can't go by "feels" or nobody would ever agree on anything.
>>
>>43934775
Assuming your players even give a shit and start arguing instead of rolling with it (and in that case I'd advise getting other players) a lot of regiments have their own organizational structure, the only big thing they care about is that your regiment can be roughly considered to have infantry platoons, heavy weapons and stuff like that, while your "Count of HisHolyLand and Defender of Bumfucknowhere" gets branded as a colonel. The sheer variety made possible by the Imperium's size means that no two regiments will be the same, even from the same world, and they all have traditions and beliefs, doctrines and equipment that will shape their behaviour and outlook.

Keep a consistent structure and hold on to it, that's all you need.
>>
>>43935408

Then what's better?
Your head canon?
>>
File: 1449015159667.jpg (116 KB, 805x556) Image search: [Google]
1449015159667.jpg
116 KB, 805x556
My friend group is going to be doing a deathwatch campaign and I'm the only one in the group who has played any FFG so I know a lot of the basics of the systems that carry over between them but the one thing I want to ask about is squad commands/cohesion. Can you guys give me a basic summary of how this would go down in a game?
>>
>>43938955
squad mode/cohesion*
>>
>>43938955
Cohesion is basically the Leader's Fellowship (Leader's chosen before the mission start and he picks the Oath) and then add more based upon the rank (Rank 4 adds 1 point more, Rank 6 adds 2 more) and the Command Skill (Adding a point for each improvement you get on it) as well as some other stuff.

Cohesion is only really used to enter Squad Modes. While some is spent in order to just activate it, you could also try to roll under the current Cohesion score by d10 to enter immediately.
You could also lose cohesion from getting 10+ damage from certain weapons, but the odds of that happening are rather situational.

You can only regain it in most cases by spending Fate or accomplishing something big.
>>
>>43939158
*Fellowship BONUS.
Man, that's stupid to forget.
>>
>>43939238
>okay so you guys start with 35 cohesion
>no that's totally wrong
>oh yes how could I forget +2 for command trained to +10
>thank you
I can imagine a campaign of SUPER SPESS MEHREENS played this way, although if you all play the same chapter you have infinite cohesion
Reminds me of playing the star wars games not knowing you go unconscious after you hit your wound threshold and thinking advantages were successes+advantages
>>
>>43860091
>abused mechanics and made something totally, absolutely, utterly broken
I guess dual-wielding sniper rifles with Recoil Gloves isn't that broken
I mean, it's only two hits of 3d10+11 with good DoS plus Mighty Shot and Precision Killer (assuming BS and Per in the 40s), and requires a laundry list of talents to pull off what an Autocannon can do just as well, aside from Called Shots
>>
>>43943368
But can you silence an autocannon?
Seriously though can't you only get accurate damage dice on the first shot since you only get them if you aim on the action before the shot?
>>
Where I can find a comprensive list of all 40k mutants?
>>
>>43938670
Yes
>>
>>43943368
B-but only Pistol weapons can be used with Two-weapon wielder. Where does everyone get this dual wield sniper rifles thing
>>
Ideas for stats on a princeps?
They are alleged to have unearthly willpower and great physical strength (but in game terms I think that comes out to high toughness) and appear to be currently unstatted and there's nothing to really go off of as they are fairly unique in role and attributes
>>
>>43941018
You only use the Leader's Fellowship Bonus as the base for Cohesion.
There's no bonus for being the same chapter, though some chapters do have stipulations (Black Templars and Psykers equals bad times or some less reputable chapters reduce Cohesion by 1, Ultras have a solo mode to add +1 to Cohesion).

So if you have a fellowship of 35, you start with 3, then add +1 if you have Command Trained.
>>
>>43943934
It was a joke
If the entire kill team is one chapter they don't have cohesion (or rather it is unlimited) because cohesion represents limited trust in your battle brothers (because it can run out)
Besides that ghey knights have it when they operate together
>>
>>43938670
The tabletop is wildly variegating when it comes to power of units, and porting tabletop conceits, like terminators being downed by small arms fire from a unit of 20 guardsmen is a recipe for disaster.
TT is useful as only the roughest of measures, but little else. In the rpg, a primarch will laugh at small arms fire outright in the same fashion greater daemons do without the daemon type crutch weakness to bring them down.
>>
>>43943822
Recoil gloves allow you to wield a basic weapon with one hand with no penalty.
It, by extraction, allows you to dual wield basic weapons.
>>43943859
Willpower, toughness, WS/BS gotta be good.
Likely a lot of commander/fellowship talents to bolster control.
>>
>>43944699
The talents explicitly mention Pistol weapons I'm sure
>>
>>43944903
I believe it only says you don't take the -20 for doing so.
Timne to look.
>>
>>43944903
>>43944922
Checked.
In DH2e, it does stipulate that in order to attack with both weapons at the same time, they must be one-handed.
>>
>>43944903
Nope, it just says in the older books that they have to be the same "type" whatever you interpret that to mean
Two Weapon Wielder with basic through recoil gloves is retarded but mechanically sound
>>
Which branch of the inquisition is sent to investigate matters of Chaos Space Marines?
I've read only a little about the inquisition, although I'm fully aware the details about their organization, but I don't think I'd be wrong in assuming it starts with the Ordo Hereticus or an Ordo Minoris discovering a chaos cult and as soon as it is discovered to be in arms with the Traitors themselves incarnate the Ordo Malleus is brought in to do the purging
However that all depends on the temperament, pride, and sense of duty of those involved, so I guess my more specific question is "Unconfirmed Sightings of Chaos Space Marines" is called in by a populace, who responds?
>>
>>43945032
By default chaos is malleus jurisdiction
>>
>>43945053

Not for sure. Technically, regular people worshiping Chaos would fall under Hereticus. However throwing in Chaos Marine would complicate it a bit.
>>
>>43945209
Malleus, because people aren't even supposed to know CSM exist, and a CSM being there means shit is bigger than some scumbag nobles or disgruntled slaves.
>>
>>43945890
I think CSM is also "I don't care who the fuck just kill this fucker" tier
>>
>>43945890
>>43946240
In my games, the Ordo Xenos gets tangled up with CSM surprisingly often. Mostly because the sector is ass-deep in xenos both canon and homebrew, and because the Ordo Xenos has a tendency to poke their noses into unknown secret places looking for xenos to purge, which leads to them finding chaos bases and Deathwatch kill-teams being called in.
>>
>>43945890
Depending on the world, people aren't supposed to know chaos exists either. The point isn't just what's being fought, but how it was discovered and what impact it will have.

A chaos cult wielding a Yu'Vath artifact to summon forth the entity known only as "The 4th Secret of Tzeentch." Who deals with them? Whoever finds them first. Whether that be from rumors about cult activity, combing through Yu'Vath ruins, or noticing a particular daemonic name repeating around a planet's warp current over and over again.
>>
>Reading Forgotten Gods
>"Stop a mad cult from awakening the forgotten god of a xenos race that died before humanity existed"
>[IA IA intensifies]
>JK it's actually a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, stupid xenos
>And like that you've lost me
I'm getting a little sick of how monotonous and stale the Chaos Gods are in 40k fiction. Yes, they're unknowable primal horrors that lurk in every corner, but I'd have loved to see a version of Forgotten Gods that actually went all in and let you fight Space Cthulhu instead of yet another fucking servant of the Big Four.
>>
>>43947450
You can do that, there's nothing to stop you whatsoever.
>>
>>43947521
I already do. I'm just voicing my frustrations with the adventure, because it starts out promising psuedo-Lovecraftian themes and then swerves into very familiar 40k territory. It's just hard to feel much for the Big Four anymore, because they're so familiar and overexposed, and nothing kills horror faster than familiarity.
>>
>>43947561
Then break the rules, do something new
Just make it so it can be rationalized as making sense in the constrained views of 40k otherwise you're doing gay crossovers
>>
>>43947561
I absolutely agree, and it's a shame that it tends to be that way.

I found however that the best way to avoid familiarity is to do normal stuff in a different way. Make something a threat in an unorthodox way and don't call it what it is.

My players are currently investigating an Ork threat and not once have I used the word greenskin, waagh, brootal, kunnin or anything of a sort. They're shitting their pants and they think they're fighting a mix of an underground guerilla insurgency and a Daemon that kills everything it touches.

Really it's just one Ork Kommando fighting a one-man war on a Feudal city.
>>
>>43947602
>Really it's just one Ork Kommando fighting a one-man war on a Feudal city.

You sir, are fucking amazing.
>>
>>43944662

But thats letting headcanon into things. The tt rules are the only "objective" system we really have, and it tempers discussion by making absolutes. People argue primarch strengths all the time, until someone math-hammered Horus and Rowboat superiority. Fluff is funner to debate, yes. However, the TT rules provide a more accepted level of agreement. One can argue meaning and strengths based on conflicting sources all day, but a 66% chance of X is universal. Its best to look at absolutes rather than interpretation.
>>
>>43947849
However, when those absolutes mathematically do not work when broken down into a different, format, then what?
Cleave to them anyway, and bring the caveats, conceits and pitfalls of the tabletop game forward, where mechanically, Eldar and Tau have always had some of the best armies for their editions, space marines are hot garbage and weight of fire alone will defeat any problem save a handful?
At no point did I say ignore tabletop entirely, so cease that kind of blatant fucktardery. I'm saying that tabletop should be a reference, but not taken as gospel because it is can be just as shit as eyeballing it based on Space Marine: the Game, Space Hulk and Dawn of War.
>>
>>43947985

You do end up having to reconcile the tabletop with the RPG. Sometimes it turns out good. Things that are bad on rpg can be fixed with tt ports. For example, on tt all monstrous creatures have ap2. In the rpg even a heirophant has pen 3. Applying the tt rule and making them pen12 makes them threatening to vehicles and enemies. Similarly, it's hard to use some envies because of action economy. In TT MCs can fire up to 2 weapons in the shooting phase. This makes some previously wimpy enemies in the RPG far more dangerous by giving them more attacks. It does help, especially when FFG goes a more "fluffy" approach (such as deathwatch)
>>
A bit new to 40k and just got into an RT game and I decided to play an explorator

What are some neat things I should/can do?
>>
>>43948260
But in the RPGs you can get multiple attacks per round, in fact it's one of the first talents one should get if they plan at specializing in any sort of combat and by the end of it, when one can do two lightning attacks in a round, they reach the tabletop's level of simultaneous attacks it's only that it takes place in a constantly changing narrative compared to a stagnant wargame with set stats for set units
>>
File: gulliman and alpharius.png (197 KB, 849x672) Image search: [Google]
gulliman and alpharius.png
197 KB, 849x672
Would the Alpha Legion make for good opponents in a DH game or would that make me that GM?
>>
>>43860091
If I were to GM a Rogue Trader Xenos Pirate campaign, would there be any reason at all for an Eldar Corsair to voluntarily work with and genuinely become friends with a Necron?
>>
>>43948833
Don't do Alpha Legion. Just don't. Think smaller and more locally. Think of an organization that has real connections to the sector/world your campaign is on and has reasons for their actions that make sense given what the group has seen. Not just the same big bad Alpha Legion that everyone uses because they can't be bothered to think up something unique.
>>
>>43948633

A tyrannofex has two heavy cannons. He can only fire one each round since full auto is a full action. He cannot move if he does so. He is a sitting duck
>>
>>43948833

They'd better be pretty strong and threatening, but otherwise, why not? Using pre-established characters/groups isn't "that DM" tier at all.

I mean, you're playing Warhammer 40k. Interacting with the lore and world is one of the points of the system.
>>
>>43948633

The same does not apply to ranged attacks. For example, a wraithknight with two starcannons. He can only fire one gun at full bonuses or move and full auto at no bonuses. His second gun is wasted despite the fact he can fire them both on tt. TWW doesn't apply here because they're shoulder mounted and he's already wielding a shield and sword. He can have four weapons on TT, shoot them both on TT, but in the rpg he's gimped
>>
Hay any tips for using miniatures for only war? Just getting in to it and am plaining on gming it, wanted to know how well it works with them.
>>
>>43949182

To further push this example a Wraithknight is a gargantuan creature now - he can fire all weapons at any targets. Let's give him two starcannons and two wraithcannons.

He can fire four guns a turn on tabletop, but not on the RPG. Letting him fire all four guns turns him from a "he shot at Bob now we're all safe" to "oh shit take cover the air is wraith this is dangerous."

Just an example
>>
>>43949257
Miniatures help when the playmat/whatever used is actually relevant to the scale the fighting is taking place in. They're perfect if you want to model indoor fighting, less so if you're having a firefight hundreds of metres across.
>>
>>43949182
>>43949294
That's when FFG elegantly invents a custom talent for that NPC alone.

I mean, Daemon Engines in BC can fire all their guns and they are NPCs by the rules, not vehicles.
>>
Any novels that deal mainly with Space Marines from a view of a mortal? Or scouts. (Already know about the Ragnar novel series).
>>
>>43950754
Can't remember the title, there was one about three different guys getting recruited by the imperial fists, it goes through their life on the planet, recruitment, training and first mission.
>>
Considering buying the Dark Heresy second edition rulebook tomorrow.
Never played an RPG before and have no one to play with but it looks/sounds dope.
Is it the easy to learn?
Is it FUN?
Should i buy another warhammer RPG instead?
>>
Revealed to the Inquisitor PC today that the big threat of the campaign is NECRONS Muahahaha. What do Ordo Malleus do when the bad guys of the campaign want the same thing as the PCs, to eradicate all the Daemons?
Radicalism. That's what.
>>
>>43951226
You should be able to find a group online, check gamefinder threads but nearly all RPGs are more fun in person, check about your local area for a group or something.

It's pretty simple to get the hang of, you roll two dice and one is a tens and one is the digits. You roll a 2 and a 9, you've got 29. Lower rolls are better.

As for if you should buy another one instead, what type of game are you interested in? Soldiers doing soldier stuff is Only War territory, more stuff to support it there. Dark Heresy is mostly about investigations and intrigue punctuated by brutal combat and operators operating operationally. Mostly.
>>
>>43951297
I like the sound of Only War since Imperial guards seem to have a hard life.
But investigating and killing heretics sounds like a lot of fun.
Too bad i dont know anyone who's interested in RPG's.
Which means i would have to be a DM, dont think i'd be good at it.
Although if anyone here is interested then i'd be interested after i've spent 20 years learning the game
>>
>>43951493
Everybody who ever GM'd had to do it a first time. My first time GMing was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition and the players were hunting a tax-dodger called "Dirty Pete". I made it all up on the spot and I still am Eight years later.
>>
>>43948978
Many Corsairs and Rangers just don't give a fuck. As long as he's not working against any Craftworld or trying to slaughter all living beings, I don't see why an Outcast Eldar couldn't be friends with a Necron, provided that said Necron is likeable on his own.
>>
I'm a bit of a Weab I suppose, but my next session the PCs will be fighting homebrew Xeno in RT. It's my one and only outlet in the entire campaign for a bit of weaboo fightan' magic and I (inspired by Bloodborne and Metal gear Rising) want to have sword as projectile weapons. That is, the slash has a reach far in excess of the actual blade itself. Think any combo move in any fighting video game where particle effects fly about and it's meant to be you but fuck animating that.

Would that best be handled as a Melee attack at range with all the standard modifiers (aside from surprise for the first round)
>>
>>43951151
Space Marine.
Trying to remember the author, but this is a way way old novel. Like "Back to Rogue Trader" old.
>>
>>43952108
Just give their melee weapons range.
Everything else can be accurately representing by high WS and Talents.
>>
>>43952145
Good enough for me. Kiiyah!
>>
>>43951493
>Which means i would have to be a DM, dont think i'd be good at it.

I started GMing seriously a little more than a year, as I had done some little things before but nothing big, on a completely new system (OW) that none of us had ever tried. It's much easier than you expect. Get a hang of the rules, you don't even need to know them all by heart, you can learn as you go, read the sample scenarios to look how it all is supposed to click together, then if you have ideas and/or know the setting you can make shit on the fly with relatively little effort.
>>
>>43952143
Nope, much more recent. Sons of Dorn it was, now I remembered.
Thread replies: 232
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.