[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why the made surprise as retarded as it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 14177393296781.jpg (671 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [Google]
14177393296781.jpg
671 KB, 1400x933
Can someone explain why the made surprise as retarded as it is now

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

According to current rules surprise ends after the creature turn, meaning that if you initiate combat from stealth and it gets a decent initiative roll it could go from surprised to no longer surprised before you even land the attack that starts combat, completely negating the rogue crit on surprise attacks. It's also annoying if you want to plan an ambush, for example, say you wait concealed for a team member to circle around to start the encounter with an attack from behind. If you roll your initiative better then him you're fucked, because when you would be first to stumble into the encounter they wont be surprised.

It creates a whole bunch of retarded scenario's that would not exist if you would just resolve the attack that initiates combat first regardless of initiative roll.
>>
>>43859158
Just houserule it.
>>
>>43859158
Just houserule it as, in a surprise round everything happens fast enough that the creature is unable to react yet
>>
I just do it so that if a creatures is surprised it will go last for the first turn of combat before rolling initiative for it.
>>
>>43859395
That resolves the first issue but not the second, where you need a teammember to go first to do the surprising and you have better initiative than him.
>>
>>43859489
The person who does the surprising goes first, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense.
>>
>>43859549
Yeah that's my point, acc to the rules you roll initiative as soon as someone declares an attack, that attack will not necessarily go first in the round depending on initiative rolls.
>>
>>43859672
The rules say that you roll for surprise as combat starts, so if you need someone to attack first you could see their initial attack as starting combat.

Or you could just have all the characters acting before him ready to do whatever after that guy attacks.
>>
>>43859158
Fucking Japanese, they KNOW they're not supposed to be harvesting giant mermaids, but they do it anyway because "muh culture".

This is why my sushi costs so much.
>>
>>43862190
No, it costs so much because retards think fish in rice is a delicacy and thus is expensive. It's fish, which is cheap, in rice, which is cheaper. You just pay out the ass because you're a sap.
>>
>>43859158

The way I'm reading it the surprise ends after the first round, not the surprised creature's turn during the round. So if your assassin gets the drop on an ogre but you roll a lower initiative, it would still be surprised after its first turn during the round.
>>
>>43859158
>D&D
>>
>>43859158
What is that picture from?
>It's awesome.
>>
>>43864622
I dont think you're greentexting correctly
>>
>>43864668
I don't think you corrected me correctly. Correct that.
>>
>>43864756
Man, your clever wordplay sure showed me
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.