[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wqdt/ Weekend Quest Discussion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: lively-OP.png (22 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
lively-OP.png
22 KB, 700x700
This is a thread created for the discussion of Quest threads, as well as sharing of advice and guidance for aspiring or current QMs.

Please do not shitpost, and please report any shit posters attempting to derail discussion or cause strife. This means avoiding tripfag drama or discussion about subjects such as 'make a board for quests'.

Useful links: http://pastebin.com/pV7sdNnv
This link contains numerous writing guides, as well as the addresses of quest related IRC channels.

https://twitter.com/Eisenstern/lists/quest-runner-directory
This is a directory containing the tweets of most current QMs. While a twitter is by no means mandatory, it is a useful tool for both you and your players. If you aren't on the list, post your twitter here and someone will make sure it gets added eventually.

>QM Question:
Is there a system, or modified system, you want to try out in your next quest?

>Player Question:
What is the thing that makes you read the first thread of a quest, no question asked? OP picture, genre, a certain QM, etc.
>>
>>43855892
>What is the thing that makes you read the first thread of a quest, no question asked? OP picture, genre, a certain QM, etc.
Cute anime girls
>>
>>43855892
>Is there a system, or modified system, you want to try out in your next quest?
I would like to try the Generic Universal Roleplaying System.
>>
>>43856355
>GURPS
>In a quest
I eagerly anticipate five sessions of chargen
>>
>>43855892
QM Question
I kind of want to use a variant of Double Cross's RPS mechanic (Block, Strike, Crash) but also applied to non combat situations.

Player Question:
Curiosity or interest. Do I know the QM. Am I enticed by the op image. Is the title or concept familiar or intriguing? Honestly I don't know.
>>
>>43855892
ORE
>>
>>43857477
r u me
>>
>>43855892
>What is the thing that makes you read the first thread of a quest, no question asked? OP picture, genre, a certain QM, etc.
The opening post. If enough information is present to make it accessible (setting, systems, whatever), then I'll read on to confirm the starting hunch.

So make the opening post focused. If it ticks two boxes between setting, starting hook, system, MC, choices, etc then maybe it'll tick some more later.
>>
>>43856369
Who said the players would have any choice about characters?
>>
File: xcom+2_chryssalid_screenshot_02.jpg (896 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
xcom+2_chryssalid_screenshot_02.jpg
896 KB, 1920x1080
the Hive shall return
>>
>>43857844
We need to make a summoning QuestDrone thing similar to the summoning Diarca one, perhaps with a zerg theme to it? Maybe a crystal or a cortical borer on it?
>>
>>43858126
I'm just glad he's alive on twitter and ask.fm

I always get paranoid about people I know online just dying without ever a word to their friends/followers online
>>
>>43857844
Shame they didn't give those tits as well. Delicious snake tits.
>>
>>43858732
those are clearly venom sacs
>>
Bonus question: Who is your quest waifu?
>>
>>43858958
apparently a star-eating banshee demi-god
>>
>>43859040
Death in the Stars?
>>
>>43858958
larval evil overlord with daddy issues
>>
What are some good up and coming quests right now? I've been away from /tg/ for a while.
>>
>>43859128
si
>>
Post the quest idea you have that you would love to play in, and maybe a kind QM will like the idea enough to run it
>>
File: 1447391910350.jpg (362 KB, 1440x908) Image search: [Google]
1447391910350.jpg
362 KB, 1440x908
>>43859212
>>
>>43859265
I'm still holding out hope for a real in-kayfabe professional wrestling quest.
>>
>>43859459
WWE or Original Wrestling Federation (do not steal)?
>>
>>43859542
Either, man. As long as it's good, I do not care at all. I've considered running one myself, but with running my own quest, and having to deal with real life shit, I haven't had much of a chance. The sad thing is, every once in a while, someone shows up in these threads, talks about how they want to make a wrestling, and the most they ever get is like, one thread out before disappearing.
>>
>>43859610
It does sound like fun, but I'm also running a quest or three, so I'm in no position to run it either.
>>
File: 0_1a.gif (261 KB, 678x960) Image search: [Google]
0_1a.gif
261 KB, 678x960
>>43859265
Esperanto Quest!

Your mission, whether or not you choose to accept it, is to unite humanity with an international second language.

You'll face incredible opposition at every turn: fascists, nationalists, capitalists, schismatics, and rival language movements.

But the rewards of global fraternity and a cosmopolitan edzino (wife) are immeasurable.

Vivu la movado!
>>
>>43855892
>QM
At some point, I want to test out 6d6 per action, 4d6 with a modifier for advantage/disadvantage.

Better equipment gives flat bonuses
Training Skills makes you better at a narrow field
Training Stats changes your specialties instead of making you all around better

>Player
genre. There are some thing I would never touch, no matter the QM. Not that I'd lose respect for that QM if they ran it.
>>
>>43859661
Esperanto is like PHP of human languages.
>>
>>43859858
>php
>not a drug
>code
>>
>>43859858 >>43859996

I'm not autistic enough to understand that analogy.
>>

System? We're supposed to use a system?

joking

mostly
>>
File: 1qtg.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1qtg.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>43859265
>>
>>43855892
>What is the thing that makes you read the first thread of a quest, no question asked?
Catgirls
>>

Rapey lesbian contract killers
>>
>>43861426
You been reading Murcielgo too?
>>
>>43857844
I miss Mother. Can't wait!
>>
>>43861556
yes
>>
>>43861696
It's a good time. I'd play a quest about the loli wheelman.
>>
>>43861752
As would I, my friend, as would I.
>>
File: Cleisthenes.jpg (194 KB, 1053x1372) Image search: [Google]
Cleisthenes.jpg
194 KB, 1053x1372
>>43855892
>QM question

I'm designing one on and off for my next quest. I really want it to fit the action in a way that makes the quest feel more intense than the usual "roll to execute _____".

It's sort of intimidating. My last system was and is very basic, so this would be a lot more math than I'm used to.
>>
>QM Question

Players roll 1d8 by default. If their skill is one or two ranks lower than their opposition, they roll 1d6 or 1d4. If their skill is higher, they have to roll 1d10 or 1d12. No matter what dice they're rolling, they need to roll 4 or higher.
>>
SOMA IS A LAZY FAG
BANISHED QUEST NEVER
>>
>>43862105
>this guy

I refuse to believe there are more than one of you.

A good title pic. I'm shallow as fuck.
>>
>>43855892

Kinda. It's a system I put together. Kinda similar to Traveller's but not really.

The Quest has to have a pretty big archive. If it's 50 threads in I'll go back and check out the first one to see if it's any good. If it is, I've got reading material for the next day or so.
>>
>>43862236
Not really. A good title pic can say a lot about a quest and its QM. It shows that the QM is willing to go through some effort and cares about his work, or what kind of quest he's running and what kind of players the QM wants to attract.

As a general rule, opening pics should stand out when viewed on the catalog. It should have structure to it akin to any billboard that draws the eye to it and allows the title to be easily read and catch the reader's interest as they are scrolling past it. It should also offer some insight into what the quest is about, be it sci-fi, fantasy, slice of life, or what have you.

As an example, Valen Quest's opening image is simple, uses few colors and has a general shape to it. It's easy to pick out on the catalog and is easy to read as a thumbnail. The only thing bad about it I can think of is that the image itself offers no insight into the quest's content, but if you get the reader to peek into the quest regardless this is of secondary concern.

Another example is House and Dominion. In many ways it is the opposite, showing a captivating sci-fi landscape that changes based on the current chapter or story arc that is unfolding. Some of these images are slightly harder to read as a thumbnail but are still legible, however they not only show up front what genre the quest is, but it also offers some amount of insight into the theme of the current arc.

TLDR: Your OP picture is your ad and it's important to pick a good one.
>>
>>43862468
>Valen Quest's opening image offers no insight into the quest's content.

Then it's perfect isn't it? No one seems to know what they're doing in there whenever I see it brought up. Working as intended!

What IS it about, anyway? Worth picking up?
>>
>>43862599

Honestly I have no idea. Something about princesses and dresses. Its literally never discussed here.
>>
>>43862599

I tried. It's really dull. And the dialogue is really trash-tier.

Bad dialogue really ruins quests for me. I get that most people here grew up on vidya-RPGs where most of the interactions are "I cayn't believe rats took over muh farm! Can you slaughter them for me, kind stranger?" but come on. It's a text-only medium. You have to try harder than that.
>>
>>43862468
>tfw running quest from phone and can't access my wealth of reference pics

Help guys :(
>>
>>43862905

Hiatus until you have the materials you need to run comfortably. No one benefits from you gimping yourself.
>>
>>43859610

One day, lightning will strike and some kind anon will run a worthy, lengthy wrestling quest.

I don't have anywhere near enough practical knowledge to actually do one myself, but I'd show up for every thread to participate if someone else takes the wheel on it.
>>
>>43862927
I have a Bluetooth keyboard so I can still type, but is reduced images too detrimental?
>>
>>43855892

>QM Question:

I had it saved, but lost it when my old hard-drive died and the archives 404'd.

>Player Question:

Firstly, it has to be a topic that piques my interests. From there, I get an idea of how it flows from the OP down and if I like it, I'll follow it and archive-binge when I can to catch up.

Sometimes I'll check out a friendly QM's new quest and help out if I could, but that's not something that happens all of the time.
>>
>>43862599
Wait for one of the players. All I got is nobles, dopplegangers, spooky magic and realpolitics.
>>
>>43862879

Which quests have the best dialogue in your opinion?
>>
>>43859610
>>43862980

I know for a fact that there was a superpowered wrestling quest a while ago.
>>
>>43855892
>QM question
Actually I have a quest I want to run that utilizes the scholomance setting/system. I really like the whole setting of it and wish there were more quests that used it.

Pandora Quest #18 is up and running! >>43862897
(You are the head researcher at a government facility. Your sole responsibility is to teach the world's first autonomous AI, nicknamed Pandora, about life, the world and her existence.)
>>
>>43862994

HMQ is the obvious choice but seeing as it's the best-written quest this board has ever seen I doubt that will surprise anybody.

Wulin had some good dialogue too, after a somewhat slow start.

Rule of thumb for writing great dialogue is giving it enough flavor that you don't have to openly specify who says what for the audience to know who is speaking.
>>
>>43863058
>best-written quest this board has ever seen

Which HMQ are we talking about?
>>
>>43862988
QuestDrone?
>>
>>43863106

Homeless Mutant Quest.
>>
>>43863106
Homeless Mutant Quest
>>
>>43863125

Nah.
>>
>>43863131
>>43863134

Ah, right. Yeah, that's pretty spot-on.
>>
How does /wqdt/ feel about /co/ related fanfic quests?

I'm only asking because I want to make sure it doesn't get shitposted to death
>>
>>43863217
The Peter Parker quest was widely successful and if you count Star Wars into /co/, then there's been both failures and successes in there too.
>>
>>43863217
>/co/
>fanfic
I'll pass and hate you for it, however
>quest
mods said refugees welcome
>>
>>43863217
>see previous statements regarding Homeless Mutant Quest.
>>
>>43863217

If you're talking about quests ported from /co/ after they got banned there then it's probably a mixed bag. But people run /co/-related quests here all the time. You won't get shitposted for the quest topic, at the very least.

Homeless Mutant Quest is set in an alternative Marvel-verse and it's widely held to be one of the better things ever produced by this board.
>>
>>43863217
If you can write well then they'll do fine.
>>
>>43862983
Depends on your quest and your style.

Personally, I like to use them when possible but still describe the scene as if I didn't have it, or I'll just use the image as a bit of a mood setter like some vague looking skyline or a pretty horizon or semi-abstract scenery that has just enough detail to get the point across but not enough detail to contradict anything in the writing.
>>
File: 1441670133918.gif (101 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
1441670133918.gif
101 KB, 250x186
>>43863287
>>43863290
>>43863308
>>43863312
>>43863342

Alright, thank you for these mature and honest answers that I wasn't expecting.
>>
>>43863522
Yeah, the thing that most questers are liable to be cunts about are waifus. Otherwise, we're just looking for more reading material.
>>
>>43863566
In that vein, who is the WORST waifu?
>>
>>43863125
Nope, my hard drive was eventually recoverable and now I'm putting everything back together, although my answer to that question would be the same.

>>43863058
This is typically what people are talking about when they refer to a character's "voice" in writing. Making characters stand out with different mannerisms and accents is incredibly difficult but very important. It's also the kind of thing that is really hard to do deliberately and even harder to judge yourself on. It's like trying to hear your own accent without having someone else point it out first. I've heard that Joker Quest OP does this really well too, but I haven't had the opportunity to read through either quests.
>>
>>43863522
I get why you sound surprised.

but we can be reasonable.

Though I wonder what happened to all the negativity in spooky after it died?
>>
>>43863603
That chick from Psion Quest who cheated on the MC.
>>
>>43863603
Yours.
>>
>>43863566

And powersperging.

Any time a quest has an appreciable stat allocation mechanic there will always be anons who form a vocal, angsty minority when their choices aren't picked.
>>
>>43858958
Clair. Tsundere psychic
>>
>>43863667
To be fair, we really should have picked up Phasing.
>>
File: HiveSpeaker.gif (992 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
HiveSpeaker.gif
992 KB, 245x245
>>43863609
Glad to see you were able to recover it QD.

Eagerly awaiting your return
>>
>>43863667
But on the other hand, there's nothing anons love more than choosing stats or powers so you got to run them anyway.
I actually have a lot of fun figuring out ways for all power choices to end up useful at least once which can be harder than it looks considering some of the weird shit people can bandwagon
>>
File: 1cs.png (688 KB, 701x627) Image search: [Google]
1cs.png
688 KB, 701x627
>>43859265
Skeleton Quest
>>
>>43863716

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying people ought to drop allocation mechanics. They're a ton of fun.

There will just always be those whose ideas are ignored and respond by shitposting for the rest of the thread.

Like phasebros.
>>43863682
>>
>>43863691
>that time like three threads in a row were derailed by fags wanting to turn the Speaker into a waifubug
I'm all for waifuing, but Jesus, guys.
>>
>>43863794
That's why I named that gif that.

That is what they were trying to make and it's horrifying. I joined the quest after that point and was kinda weirded out by the whole thing when I read through the archives
>>
>>43863794

I'm terrible for thinking this, but I actually found that chain of events completely hilarious and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Just, the things that /tg/ does will never cease to entertain me.
>>
Gouging for interest for a quest idea.

A young halfling woman, born and raised by a couple who's part of a traveling merchant caravan, is craving adventure more than anything, but she's doomed to take over her parent's business. However, one day when the family of halfling merchants reaches the Human Capital, the young woman is discovered to able to talk to and wield a Legendary Hammer that has been resting within the halls of the Capital's Sacred Church.

She's chosen to be the Keeper of the Hammer and is tasked with finding the true wielder of the Hammer, a Hero who will become a Legend. Journeying through the Continent, she uncovers a number of would-be wielders, but never suspects the hammer might have found the right person already.
>>
>>43863830
Oh no, I completely agree, /tg/ is very much controlled by the power of boners, but it's still funny to think about, especially considering I picture the Speaker to look and sound kind of like a more colorful, fluffy version of the Kroot in Dawn of War.
>>
>>43863949
Interesting quest idea, but I kinda thought that she was the True Wielder from the beginning.
>>
>>43863691
Same. I have also been thinking of how to overhaul some of the resource and planet management, especially since you guys just made official contact with another major power and you're in the process of negotiating trade relations with a Valen merchant, so trade on a large scale may soon become a possibility.

Currently I'm brainstorming a bit and have had some neat ideas thrown my way as well. Currently I'm thinking over either adding a stat to hives and buildings that are essentially the number of workers needed to maintain it, while my other idea is to have hives grow their workers automatically as the local hive structure spreads across a planet or new colony up to that planet's maximum capacity to sustain that hive. This would roll certain things like soil fertility and local flora edibility together into a sort of nutrient richness statistic that would help determine the amount of food a hive could bring in automatically. This way, you could just plop an egg layer on a new planet with one vote and just let it grow into a new colony, only voting on major expenses like planetary defense networks or picket fleets.

I also was thinking of adding in semi-automation for other units, like shuttles or basic warriors that could form a militia and fill in any security gaps, so you would always at least have some low level disposable defense in an emergency, all of which would be limited by the planet's income, so the planet would always still bring in more than it spends.

>>43863716
I know this feeling. It can lead to some fun places.
>>
>>43863985
Exactly. From the player's perspective it turns into a quest to become that Hero, while for the MC it's all about finding him/her/it.
>>
>>43863949

Follow your heart, but I won't be following that quest.

>Female MC
>Explicitly Mary Sue
>Excalibur analogue

Reeks of stuff I've done a thousand times already. If the MC actually got stuck with handling the family business despite her lack of interest in it I'd be more interested. Traveling Halfling Merchant quest, where you try to convince half-orcs to part with their hard-earned scheckels in exchange for inferior axes of dubious origin? Sign me up.
>>
>>43864062
>Traveling Halfling Merchant quest, where you try to convince half-orcs to part with their hard-earned scheckels in exchange for inferior axes of dubious origin?
Sounds extremely boring and just as over-used theme as the "Chosen one" quest.
>>
>>43863949
You mean Poppy from League of Legends?
>>
>>43863949
I liked the other Halfling Quest better
>>
>>43864096
That's where I draw the raw idea from, yes.
>>
>>43863990
>It can lead to some fun places

It's also made me think about the relationship a QM has with their players. If the power-ups you offer are narrow things with relatively few uses then the players, by spending one of their limited upgrade chances on choosing one, are effectively placing their trust in the QM that there will be a situation where it is useful. As the QM, the onus is on you to make it so or why would you ever offer a potentially useless power in the first place? I once dismissed that sort of thing as player entitlement but it's pretty essential to making sure that your playerbase trusts you. And I don't mean trust in the 'will our rascal QM screw us or not', I mean it in the much more basic 'we trust the QM's assurance that our choices actually matter' why and quests fall apart without it.
>>
>>43864091
I think many things can be said to be boring or overused, but often times it's the quality of writing that really makes me enjoy things.
>>
>>43864103
No, fuck that. I hate what they did to her and would avoid your quest like the plague out of principle.
>>
File: adventrev2-small.jpg (13 KB, 308x231) Image search: [Google]
adventrev2-small.jpg
13 KB, 308x231
>>43863963
That's not inaccurate. With the beak-like mandibles, fuz, and converting semi-bi-pedal legs it looks essentially like a Luminoth with a Kroot's mouth and the legs of a Seeker from Advent Rising as seen in the picture.

Bout the same height when upright as in the picture too, actually. Maybe slightly shorter, but only a little.
>>
>>43864103

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>43864132
Fine by me. I'd rather have players that enjoy the quest than player's that don't. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>43863990
I like the idea of automating it for the simple stuff of developing a colony.
>>
>>43863949
Already been done, not that it's a particular bad thing to do it again with a different MC.
>>
>>43864138
Fucking hell, that's terrifying, but I'm happy that my visualization of them is accurate.

While we're on the subject, I have always thought that people who draw the warriors always make their mandibles too small. Insect "warriors" always have MASSIVE mandibles used for killing the shit out of enemies. I like to think of them as having Stag Beetle type mandibles. Would make them ten times more intimidating, too.
>>
>>43863522
people need experience, and fanfics are not a bad way to get it. I have a lower opinion of players rather than the QMs of such quests, but who cares if someone doesn't like you?
>>
>>43862468
>Image offers no insight into quest content
This is a good point, but I'm unsure if making a change to it now would be beneficial or not. I'm also unsure of what change I would make to it exactly. But thank you for the advice!

If you have a suggestion as to what I may be able to tweak to make it function better, I would be grateful.

>>43862842
... I'm not sure how to respond to this.

>>43862879
I apologize. I try to keep a unique voice among my characters, but as another anon mentioned, it's difficult to tell how well I am succeeding as the writer. I suppose this is a decent indication the answer isn't favorable, so I'll try to reread and put more effort into improving on that.

...Although, if it's level of dialogue, I'm not certain I know specifically how to improve there. I'm not ruling out a personal failing on my part to make it interesting, but at the same time I'm unsure what you would consider 'more interesting'. Or at least, not trash. Well, regardless, I'm sorry again; I'll try and improve.

Reply to >>43862599
in a moment.
>>
File: combat mandibles.jpg (84 KB, 639x480) Image search: [Google]
combat mandibles.jpg
84 KB, 639x480
>>43864281
I was largely inspired by the mandibles of the Stag Beetle when stating the warrior's mandibles, actually. They are big antler sized grappling tools, not big enough to get in the way, but plenty big enough to grab an enemy infantry off his feet and rip into the armor like a sardine can while others finish it off. Lots of spikes for gripping, ripping, and puncturing armor as well as rugged, nut cracker-like segments for cracking into carapaces and snapping armored limbs.

>>43864122
You hit the nail on the head. Above all else, a QM needs to be worthy of trust by the players. That is critical, and without it everything falls apart. You need the players to trust you to offer them choices that mean things instead of a test with a right or wrong answer, and they need to trust you to offer fair, interesting, and ultimately fun (either in the traditional sense or the Dwarf Fortress sense) responses and consequences for those actions.

That makes the difference between having players get upset over something bad happening, and enjoying the consequences in a bittersweet way and fighting through it. Players will get upset if they think the QM screwed them over for picking a "wrong choice" or are punishing them somehow, and rightly so, but if the players and QM have built that trust, then the players will make that distinction between the QM and the world and characters that QM is presenting.
>>
>>43862599
The fact that no one seems to know what's going concerns me. I hope they're enjoying themselves, but...

Well, as for what it's about... I'm not sure how to word this.

When the quest started, Anon was an arrogant, naive noble heir who had been isolated from society and kept blinded to the political state of not only their country, but the continent at large. In an effort to escape an arranged marriage that would tear their (entitled) ownership of their noble house from them, they threw a wrench in everyone's plans by forcibly leaving their gilded cage to step out into a world that was far more dangerous than they expected - in more ways than one.

Since then, the players have wrecked their mansion/home base, gone from having no one who followed them to having the support and loyalty of a batch of dispossessed peasantry which were nominally promoted to be your personal knights, and stumbled across some prophecy stuff in their noble efforts to give various things the finger. Or the fist. Or both.

Also they've grown as a person, which is a little heartwarming. The MC's personal growth and relations are something I consider to be fairly important, and they have a pretty important impact on events.
>>
So as far as systems go, look at this and tell me what you think.

I was thinking that for actions the player makes that need a roll, you would roll 3d100 against some DC between 1 and 100. If at least two dice beat the DC, it succeeds. If only one does, its a trade. And naturally, if none of them beat it, failure.

For supporting character actions (saves, checks, etc), roll 1d20 against a DC between 1 and 20. Simple success/failure.

Crits are as you would expect.
>>
You're a young spell sword that just made it to the capital. You're wise old mentor just died leaving you all on your own.

>You are hired to escort a someone across the kingdom. At first it's just the occasional bandits and giant monster attack. But the people looking for her eventually catch the sent. The person you're escorting might be a little more important that you were lead to believe.

>You get hired to be the body guard of a wealthy nobleman's daughter. The assassination attempts get more and more frequent and the Character starts to learn the nobleman who hired him is far from an innocent victim.

>You've gotten word that the person who killed you're wise old mentor is living in this city. He's too well protected for you to attack on your own. So you join the local outlaws/freedom fighters and rise up the ranks buying your time.

>Strange magical beasts have always wandered the land making life difficult for towns people. But in recent years they've started getting bigger and more frequent. The royal guard has started hiring small mercenary groups to help combat the problem.

Not saying I'll run it. But which one would make the best quest.
>>
>>43864460
Does >>43857844 look like a potential Human/Hive Chimera would look like?
Was posted in DASQ and the QM said it did
>>
>>43864506
>Strange magical beasts have always wandered the land making life difficult for towns people. But in recent years they've started getting bigger and more frequent. The royal guard has started hiring small mercenary groups to help combat the problem.

Best setup for a serious quest.

>You get hired to be the body guard of a wealthy nobleman's daughter. The assassination attempts get more and more frequent and the Character starts to learn the nobleman who hired him is far from an innocent victim.

Has great potential as a comedic quest, especially if the nobleman's daughter is so desensitized to people attempting to kill her that she doesn't really care anymore. A death threat is about as inconvenient as a rainy day to her.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 411x522) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 411x522
>>43860610
>>
>>43864561
Time for journalism!
>>
File: 1447781143159.png (6 MB, 4160x3950) Image search: [Google]
1447781143159.png
6 MB, 4160x3950
Anyone ever considered starting a quest based in the BroQuest world?

You're the Protagonist/MC named Brotag and you travel a grimderp world in your quest to become a Hero by vanquishing villains with your friends/companions.

A serious quest with lots of comedic and edgy flavors.
>>
>>43864460
You make all my dreams come true as usual, QD. Thanks for answering. Truth be told, I often hope that someday my quest will get as popular as yours. All the activity, speculation and general faffing about make it like it's own little community.
>>
>>43864506
Combine them all!

>You are hired to escort the daughter of the wealthy nobleman who was responsible for your mentor's death. Such a task is tantamount to suicide due to the strange magical beasts that wander the land but you take the task anyways.

Then something about joining a band of mercenaries in order to make your way easier then joining the revolutionaries with the nobleman's daughter.
>>
>>43864514
Well chimeras retain their original number of limbs and general body design, but beyond that, yea more or less, especially the upper body and the facial structure. Personally though, with all the spikes and the color scheme, I was reminded more of one of the Obsidian Queen's drones.

If I were to try to build that thing as it is using the hive's current adaptations, I'd probably go Dex claws, bio-interface mandibles, EM sensitivity (the little thorns on the legs), no blades are visible, but functionally hypodermic would be the best, Endurance legs (sprint legs are angled less to the sides and more to the front and back to allow a galloping run), thermal pits (because there are no compound eyes), radiator tubes, and potentially a honey pot used to carry parasite drones and deliver them via the bio-interface mandibles while delivering a potent paralytic with the claws.

>>43864798
What do you run?
>>
>>43864626
There is no broquest world. It's just a collection of stupid memes, deliberate cliches, and retarded puns.

I mean you can see proof in your own post.

>brotag
>grimderp
Kill it with fire.

Also
>A serious quest
:^)
>>
>>43864908
Pandora Quest. Currently running right now, in fact. It's a quest about the MC being the head researcher at a government facility. You created the world's first true AI android and have to teach her about pretty much everything. It's very small, but has generated a weirdly large amount of fan works for some reason.
>>
Remember Death Among the Stars tomorrow at 4pm Arizona time. Just posting before bed.

Good to see you back QD
>>
>>43865061
Hey do you have Twitter? I'd like to start reading DASQ and wouldn't mind following you.
>>
>>43865080
https://twitter.com/CeroTheNull
>>
>>43865061

Fuck yes.
>>
>>43865080

What's the archive link for this quest? I've been curious as well.
>>
>>43865177
Look up the title in suptg

death among the stars
>>
>>43864952
Sounds interesting.

Don't worry about getting popular, just focus on the players you've got already and let the issue of popularity take care of itself.

>>43865061
Good to be back.
Well, not yet, but soon.

>>43865177
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/death%20among%20the%20stars/
>>
>>43855892
>QM
Monsters and Other Childish Things might be cool. Though it might take some modifications to make creating and upgrading monsters less of a headache in a quest format.

Actually, would anyone here read a Monsters and Other Childish Things quest? For those not familiar, MAOCT is a system where you play a kid with a horrible eldritch monster for a best friend. Said monster is fully customizable though, so it could potentially be anything from a Cthulhu-esque monster to something resembling a Jojo stand, or something simple like a giant teddy bear with razor teeth and laser eyes.
>>
>>43865359

This actually sounds like fun and a refreshing change of pace from the endless flood of Mary Sues trying to claim back their family heirlooms.

Fund it.
>>
>>43865359
Wouldn't work for long without a clear goal. Give the child and his best friend something to do (Could just be slice of life with a twist; like getting through School while having to deal with the problems your monster best friend that often tries to interact with the other human children/adults causes) and it's golden.
>>
>>43865359
I sure would. That sounds fun. And also makes me hyped because Team ICO is finally making Last Guardian.

>>43865287
I have been, I've been steadily getting new followers now and then. But thanks!
>>
>>43865372
>>43865449
>>43865479
Huh, wasn't expecting that positive of a response. I'll have to give the premise some thought (along with how to modify the system for questing), but once the semester ends I'll see about running it on days I'm not running my main quest.
>>
>>43865566

Quests fall into one of two categories.

1 - heavy, very much /tg/-related, serious setting, characters, very plot and stat driven, etc.

2 - magical girls

That idea falls into neither category. OF COURSE we're interested.
>>
>>43865566
What's your main?
>>
>>43865611
>2 - magical girls
Anon, please update your bait. There's basically no magical girl quests anymore. You should find something else to bitch about.
>>
>>43865621
Holy Sword Quest. Currently haven't been able to run as often as I used to because of college, but once the semester ends I should be able to run more often again. My main quest has priority, but I have been itching to try my hand at something different again.
>>
>>43865695

Anime setting quests?

Excuse me, Commissar?

Stat me?

THAT DM/GUY?
>>
>>43865726
Twitter?
>>43865764
Hey, I LIKE >THAT DM/GUY stories.
>>
>>43865764
All of those are viable, yes. Although in this context I suppose only the first would work. Which is a shame really, since it's by far the least of the evils in that list.
>>
>>43865786

I do too. My shame is tangible.

It just sometimes feels like the people I talk to here are the only ones who really understand me.
>>
File: Iorweth_Layers.jpg (62 KB, 524x600) Image search: [Google]
Iorweth_Layers.jpg
62 KB, 524x600
Elvish Commando Quest anyone?

The Elvish Dynasty dominates scores of countries across the world, but not through the ruthless power of magic alone. Behind the scenes, the cunning Commandos of the Dynasty's Intelligence track down and eliminate its enemies — from intractable senators to traitorous elvish generals to bloodthirsty rebels with enemy ties. Elvish commandos must master the arts of infiltration, seduction, search and destroy, and assassination to advance the Emprah’s causes; they face the opposition of a terrified world and the capriciousness of their own Mage overlords.
>>
>>43865875

Change shitty elves to based gnomes, keep everything else identical.
>>
>>43865786
@sparkthetgqm

Gonna go ahead and start brainstorming ideas. Also gonna have to rework some of the mechanics, chargen should be easy enough but rolling I'm not sure about. The way rolling works in MAOCT is you get a dice pool and you try to get as many matches as you can. Number of matches determines how good or bad you do the thing, and the height of the number determines how fast you do it (So three pairs of 4 goes faster than three pairs of 2). Should I just take best of three and use whichever of those three accomplishes the task best, or have players roll dice individually, or what?

Also, I just realized I'm going to have to look for reference pics for children now. That's gonna be a pain.
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (18 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
1334329164853.jpg
18 KB, 366x380
>>43865897
>Gnomes
>Based
>>
>>43855892
Every single battletech quest has been great.
So that.
>>
>>43865875
Around elves
Watch yourselves
>>
>>43865875

I actually like the premise but /tg/ straight up LOATHES all things elvish. You might get trolled.

Hell, I'm thinking about trolling your quest and I'm usually a pretty reasonable person.
>>
File: Blue Stripes Commando.jpg (24 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
Blue Stripes Commando.jpg
24 KB, 800x450
>>43866076
Hm, that's a shame. Might change it into Humans instead then, but the idea of an Elvish Commando really feels right.

>do it like I want to and risk getting trolled now and then
>follow the crowd and risk running a quest I might not enjoy equally as much as I would otherwise and I don't have to worry about trolls.

We'll see. Thanks anyhow.
>>
>>43866076
>>43866146
eh, if you play up the Blue Stripes part and downplay the fantasy race part, you should be good.

Probably the only important thing is long lifespans allow a longer testing/training period before a recruit is cleared for missions.
>>
>>43866146
I don't think you have to worry. Sure, you have a portion of /tg/ who like to think they're dorfs, but the majority of people in a given quest thread are there because they like the premise. Trolls last a thread or two at most. and are only a problem if your players feed them.
>>
>>43866189
>eh, if you play up the Blue Stripes part and downplay the fantasy race part, you should be good.
Yeah, for all intents and purposes, I was actually considering making the Elves in this setting have just as long lifespans as humans (60-85 years). The only thing that's different between the two races are their cultures, mind-set, and physical appearance. Put more focus on the missions and political problems, and less on racial matters.

>Probably the only important thing is long lifespans allow a longer testing/training period before a recruit is cleared for missions.
Is that a good or bad thing?
>>
>>43866242
That's good to know. Thanks man.
>>
>>43866146

At the end of the day the only thing that really matters is that you, the QM, are having fun. Literally everything else comes secondary.
>>
>>43866243
good in the sense that it's easier to prevent fuckups by rookies. Elven Spetsnaz would be able to provide a greater guarantee on all missions while still maintaining a decent turnover of operators.
>>
>>43863794
QD's reactions to those threads were hilarious.

https://archive.moe/tg/thread/31608551/#q31617613
>>
>>43866268
Fair enough. Thanks.

>>43866277
I was under the assumption that higher risk = more fun when the players succeed? Or am I wrong?
>>
>>43866303
I'm talking about in-setting. Consistent results are highly valued in military operations.

in-quest I would default to "it's not that simple"
>>
>>43866333
Okay. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>43865875
I love it. Do we work in a team or are we more of a lone wolf?
>>
>>43866405
You work alone, but in some missions you are assigned to work with other elvish commandos, military personnel, or even mage apprentices seeking to make a name for themselves in the Dynasty. From these missions/opportunities, you can make ties and contacts with others within the Dynasty and the Intelligence branch.
>>
>>43866439
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.
>>
>>43866287
Rip Moe.
>>
A quest based off Tekkaman Blade?
>>
File: TOY-RBT-0966_01.jpg (62 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
TOY-RBT-0966_01.jpg
62 KB, 600x800
>>43866607
>>
Hey, I wanted to run by the Star Wars AT-TE Clone Tank Commander Quest again.

The quest will be the tale of a Rookie being thrown into a baptism of fire on a planet ravaged both by civil war and the Clone Wars simultaneously. He will have to come to terms with himself, gain the trust of his far more experienced crew members, and have to keep his tank alive in the utter clusterfuck he will be fighting in.

Basically: good tactics and a clear head will be key to survival, and there will be the freedom to customize the AT-TE as the quest moves along.

So ideas, thoughts? I'm looking both for general feedback from players as well as suggestions for how the story ought to go.
>>
>>43866630
Don't do it, you're gonna be asking for a bad time especially with the new star wars round the bend.
>>
>>43866630
>>43866670
Don't listen to this anon, Obs. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

// Alcohol.
>>
>>43866630
Dude, there's been somebody in these threads talking about some variant of imperial officer quest for idk how long.

It seems like a good idea but I haven't seen it come to fruition yet.
>>
Can anyone point me to something where sneaking is the focus for tension/drama/etc? Most quests seem to rely on combat, regular or social.
>>
>>43866683
Thanks mate.

>>43866692
Yeah I think I saw that, though I want to focus on this particular story. I don't know, something about being an AT-TE commander seems so under utilized in everything I've read in Star Wars, so I wanted to try my hand at it.

And besides, that's the other fellow's idea. I'd rather let him try his hand at it rather then I try to steal his premise, you know?
>>
>>43866287
>https://archive.moe/tg/thread/31608551/#q31617613

I've been following this quest since Day 1 and do not remember that.

I must have purged it from my memory.
>>
>>43866932
>>43866287

Also that link doesn't work.
>>
>>43866932
>>43866943
Poor More, here's the link on 4plebs.

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/31608551/#31617613
>>
>>43867323
hahaha

QD: Alright you can make your drones into anything you want so choose wisel-
/tg/: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES
>>
>>43867389
>This kills the QuestDrone
Of course, doesn't change the fact that that shit was classic /tg/. Looking back on it now I can't stop laughing.
>>
>>43867430
Same, and to be fair, that kind of stuff does fly as a perfectly fine strategy in a lot of settings that have humanoid aliens. Hell, Star Trek practically has it trademarked with the Orion slavers. At that point in the quest nobody had seen or heard of any aliens other than humans, so I think a lot of people were working off the idea that everything would be roughly humanoid in appearance and be pulpy enough so that green alien babes are potentially a thing.
>>
File: realmen.jpg (46 KB, 497x311) Image search: [Google]
realmen.jpg
46 KB, 497x311
>>43861863

Here, staring at my system now.

Assuming a universe where "jet-cars" exist and hover about 2.5 feet off the ground (that's about 76 centimeters for eurofags) vehicles are classed based on weight, and race courses have height limits, could a more conventional car with an electrical engine pushing the edges of efficiency and power and a carefully optimized weight ever beat the jet?

I realize it seems stupid but I'm sitting here comparing the acceleration curves of the Thrust SSC (landspeed record holder) to some dinky thing a bunch of kids at the University of Stuttgart built and the Thrust SSC takes 2.5 seconds to reach 60 mph while the "E0711-6" takes 1.7, which is closer to a full second than I'm comfortable with.

The Tesla supposedly has a powerband where maximum power is reached at 10,000 rpm according to wikipedia, which means it can be outdone by race cars and it hits redline at 14,000 rpm (breaks down).

With the best possible materials and modern engineering, would an electric motor be capable of producing the same levels of transferable power to the ground without breaking apart?
>>
>>43867565
Yes and no.

Anything powered by jet propulsion will have relatively shit acceleration, but a maximum speed that is far above any electric or combustion vehicle. Your jet car would work like a muscle car, capable of leaving any car in its dust buy taking the piss if it ever needs to lay off the gas or make a sharp turn.
>>
>>43866757
Can't think of anything, no.

Banished had a couple of sneaking segments, I guess.
>>
File: mph_vs_time_with_points[1].jpg (163 KB, 685x497) Image search: [Google]
mph_vs_time_with_points[1].jpg
163 KB, 685x497
>>43867592

So it would be a logical step for "conventional" car drivers to strap on some boosters to get the best of both worlds; rapid acceleration and sustained power?

At the cost of turning radius relative to a car that doesn't need to touch the ground?
>>
>>43863609

It's not hard to make characters the way JQOP does it. Just make everyone as self-centered and stubborn as possible.
>>
>>43867323
>>43867510
I remember that. I didn't say anything either because it was a (sorta) okay strategy.

>>43867611
nono, shouldn't a conventional car have better turning than these jetcars?
>>
>>43868208

If you're assuming they rely on yaw to turn, yes. But I figure if you're going to race in a floating jet car, you would probably have secondary thrusters on the sides of the vehicles to assist you in turning or even strafing.

This would somewhat subvert the hobbled ability to roll and pitch so close to the ground.

Or at least I think it might. I'm not great with rocket appliances.
>>
>>43867389
I remember posting a couple of those. Glad they weren't taken seriously, I'm quite happy with how things turned out. QD does an awesome job
>>
>>43868250
rockets are responsible for most of the weight, right? Won't turning speed be directly proportional to how much weight you sacrifice in the main thrusters for turning thrusters? Or you go with rotatable thrusters, but I think that comes with it's own slew of problems.

That said, landcars are going to be death traps if they keep up to the same weight classes as jetcars.
>>
File: gotime.gif (2 MB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
gotime.gif
2 MB, 540x360
>>43868331
>death traps

You say that like a man solving his fictional engineering issues by strapping more and more rockets to them would think that a bad thing.

I'm not sure how much the rockets would take up in terms of weight relative to the rest of the vehicle because I'm still working out how much the vehicle should weigh in total.

The basic design, as I see it, is several electric turbofans keeping the vehicle at a steady, if very low altitude, with some kind of larger engine passing through the entire body of the vehicle with an intake in the front. You could divert some air from that main intake into some smaller engines to help increase the overall maneuverability or, like you said, make the main thruster rotate.

Anyway, if you work the secondary thrusters in a way that they can be turned on and off on demand, you do add some weight but I suspect what you gain on the turns would be very worth it.
>>
>>43868417
I just thought of a lightweight alternative.

>divert air from main intake
what if you divert air from main EXHAUST? The propulsion comes from where the gas exits, so if you open and shut vents that are on the sides of the jetcar, won't that work?

.....you're right, jetcars are STILL bigger deathtraps than landcars.
>>
File: Ranger of the North.jpg (67 KB, 700x452) Image search: [Google]
Ranger of the North.jpg
67 KB, 700x452
Dûnedain Ranger Quest?

A young Ranger of the North is assigned to patrol and protect a small part the eastern borders of the Shire alongside his twin sister. Two weeks pass by and the first thing the twins spot as they hide is not the enemy; three hobbits are walking side by side, heading east out from the Shire. Two young girls and a male hobbit from the looks of it and they've packed quite a lot on their backs.

You both decide to follow them in secret and as such, a dangerous journey through Middle Earth begins.
>>
>>43868534
People immediately vote to bang the twin sister.
>>
>>43868208
Yeah, although technically we could actually pull this strategy off in the quest now with our female hybrid agents. The ones we're sending to Path already have the semi-fluid implants so they can alter their appearance at will, and we can edit their personalities as well as we haven't set them already. It's entirely in our power to turn them into culexus style infiltrators who specialize in honeypotting their targets.
>>
>>43868544
No such vote will be given nor will it be heeded.
>>
>>43862994
I enjoyed Monsterhearts dialogue.
>>
File: avengers_fantasy1.jpg (135 KB, 575x332) Image search: [Google]
avengers_fantasy1.jpg
135 KB, 575x332
Medieval Fantasy Marvel Quest when?
>>
File: toyota-supra-crash.png (193 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
toyota-supra-crash.png
193 KB, 500x250
>>43868497

I think this is pretty much the path it's going to take, anon. Hopefully some future tech (and luck) will help bring the fatality rate below 50%.

It should be an entertaining run, when it's ready.
>>
>>43865875
>that premise
Do your elves change eye color depending on age?
>>
>>43868733
No?
>>
Goddamn Akun is so full of bugs and awkward features. It's a good thing I have some time before starting my run there, to learn what to do and not to do concerning the technical side.
>>
How many Mass Effect Quests are running right now?
>>
>>43868894
One that I know of.
>>
>>43855892

I want to try out a 'generational' mechanic for a 40K Dreadnought Quest, where your actions will affect the history of the chapter. Save a particularly brilliant young scout, and he might live to become Chapter Master. Alternatively, a heroic effort to rescue Chapter Relics or gene-seed might improve their standing in later millenia.

The problem is, it takes time for you to be repaired. More, you can't heal permanent damage - and as a Dreadnought, you're constantly degenerating over the centuries. Push yourself for the Thallax Crusade, and you might not be there in time for the Tyranid invasion.

The problem is that this Quest will inevitably end in the QMC's death. More, there's an inherent 'death spiral' mechanic to it, where you can gradually take more and more injuries until you're progressively double-crippled.
>>
>>43869088
empower through command. As you get weaker, the NPCs you control grow larger in number and discipline.
>>
Ok teegee, I got a quest pitch for you.

In the quest you play as the son of a villager who finds a dragon egg. Now, dragon eggs are rare as fuck and when born, they quickly develop a bond with its 'parent'. Years pass and bandits/a rival lord of a different nation attacks your village.

Reinforcements from the local lords fort won't come in time so you mount your dragon and fuck up your attackers. Mid-battle though, your lord arrives and seeing that you have a dragon, decides to bring you to the capital to train as a dragon knight. Dragons in the setting can't fly and instead act as living battering rams/tanks that charge into battle as a few hundred pounds of armoured meat.

Sounds promising? Also give any questions or tips for questing, new to the whole thing. Thanks
>>
>>43869183

I'm afraid it might end up like Eragon.
>>
>>43869183
>Also give any questions or tips for questing, new to the whole thing.
you're going to need to be more specific than that. the pastebin exists for a reason.
>>
>>43869196
Never read Eragon before, what should I avoid?
>>
>>43869211

Elves, fedoras, a kid carrying around a six-foot long sword, and re-enacting the entire plot of Star Wars and Harry Potter at the same time.
>>
>>43867787
At least everyone has their own reasons for being that way and express it differently.
>>
>>43869183
Can we fuck the dragon?
>>
>>43855892

Quest concept: Turning girls into weapons. The deeper the relationship, the better the weapon.

Now build a harem high school battle Quest around it, with copious amounts of NTR.
>>
>>43869627
How would you actually include the NTR into that concept? I hope it would be a core part of the story and not just tacked on.
>>
>>43869660
>>43869627
The girls can only turn into weapons if they've been NTR'd.
>>
>>43869660
Considering that the quality of the relationship determines the quality of the weapon, it would mean your weapon could fail at the worst moment as battle waifu or whatever the fuck doubts you.

Naturally it'd be about juggling them so you have as many powerful weapons as possible while hiding the fact that you're cheating on them with like five other girls
>>
>>43869660

It's a joke, but I think that would be a big part of things. Everyone likes character interaction anyway, and you'd have plenty of rivals. Like that girl because she produces a sword with the poison effect? Well, your rival who likes being able to poison everyone in his vicinity has set his sights on her in time for your next duel. But it looks like all the weapons his sister produces home in on their targets, which would be great for dealing with an agile fighter like him. Oh, the possibilities.

The first quest where "You're just USING me, aren't you?" isn't metaphorical.
>>
>>43869701

That sounds amazing, actually.
>>
File: 4653-bueno.jpg (88 KB, 641x534) Image search: [Google]
4653-bueno.jpg
88 KB, 641x534
>>43869701
>>43869702
I'd play it.
>>
File: saikano.jpg (904 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
saikano.jpg
904 KB, 1600x1200
>>43869627
Yeaaah, no.
>>
>>43869702
>>43869701
>>43869627
So Thousand Arms, except you're somehow even MORE of a dick than Meis. Wonderful.

I'd recommend not using a high school setting, but that would imply I would touch it either way.
>>
>>43869749

No, no, we're going full LN on this one.

Seriously thought, I think it could be an interesting setting.

I haven't settled on a system, but I'm actually wondering if something like Pendragon or Wild Talents might be most appropriate for it.
>>
>>43869793
>interesting setting.
"insert hamfisted excuse to get highschoolers to fight each other instead of study" is far from interesting.

At the end of the day, you either flat out ignore child soldier aspect and not take itself seriously, or do the child soldier aspect which has been done so often as to be overdone.
>>
>>43869803

Frankly, I actually intended to start with displaying exactly how deadly the young nobles are i.e. (wiping out a massive threat) before moving on to all the backstabbing and courtly intrigue.
>>
>>43869838
there you go.

Do what you want, it might turn out better than expected.

This DOES remind me of Dog Days Quest though, where people who didn't know what it was about expected grimdark fighting after the intro and got anime shenanigans instead. Only this is exactly as advertised?
>>
>>43869627
>>43869701
>>43869702
>>43869793
>>43869838
So is this quest actually going to have smut in it, or will all the ntr just be implied and fade to black?
>>
>>43869877

Yeah, the idea I'm working with is that each character with the power is a walking weapon of mass destruction, but they're usually made to wear Limiters in social situations. Also, the 'turning women into magical weapons' thing is 'men's magic', while other stuff is 'woman's magic'.

I kind of want to play up the horrific contrast, where you have something that looks like the storming of Normandy while a few people are running around cutting tanks in half and calling down meteor strikes.
>>
>>43869915
I love the idea but I'm certain it'll explode within two or three threads.
>>
>>43869749
>>I'd recommend not using a high school setting
Combat Academy styled like the palace at Versailles and with Prussian uniforms.

Fucking sorted.
>>
>>43870089
>>43869915
whatever floats your boat.
>>
File: 0_spider.png (1 MB, 896x600) Image search: [Google]
0_spider.png
1 MB, 896x600
>>43868645
When you run it.
>>
>>43864481
>>43864448
I don't have trouble reading distinct voices from the dialogue, but that's just me.

A big part of us not having any clue is partially because we have very little information, spread out among 25-ish threads among a lot of extraneous stuff relevant to things completely different. Like real life. It's like finding the pieces of a jigsaw in a pile of other jigsaws. Occasionally we find pieces that connect to one another, but most of our time is spent sorting through pieces and throwing them at each other in increasingly wild combinations. So Irue's inexperience and short-term memory bites her, because we, who control her, also have the same inexperience and short-term memory.

Some of it is that anons as a whole pay only passing attention to questing, and you really only have the dedicated playerbase making more than a cursory glance through the jigsaw pieces. Some of it is that Valen's playerbase isn't actually very large compared to some of the other high-thought quests, so the pyramid of the intelligence distribution just doesn't go very far up. And some of it is the disconnects between the real world, Irue's world as she knows it, and Irue's world as it is. For example, oakenbear stuff. We've left corpses out there twice now, because we're just not used to it. I'm pretty sure we're gonna kill Irue in the Atelier next thread.
>>
>>43868645

The Hulk was cursed by a traveling witch.

Iron Man's suits are magitech or something.

Captain Kingdom thinks feudalism is the greatest thing ever.
>>
File: 1445552966329.png (2 MB, 1920x1008) Image search: [Google]
1445552966329.png
2 MB, 1920x1008
Novice Heretek Quest #82 is starting!

>>43870844
>>
>>43870903
Warhammer 40,000 is stupid.
>>
>>43870968
So is being heterosexual but here we are
>>
>>43870986
>2015
>being heterosexual

>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: 30749405_p0.jpg (243 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
30749405_p0.jpg
243 KB, 700x600
>another weekend
>another week without starting a quest because of IRL shit scheduled in the near future
>>
>>43871034
You think it's bad before you've begun, but you've yet to begin.
When you have a quest going and start trying to schedule IRL shit around your questing schedule is when shit gets fuckles.
>>
Question for you guys.

If you were players in a quest that centered around a tight knit squad of soldiers, that just recently lost one member before the quest's beginning, would you rather...

Play as the rookie that joins the squad as a replacement? Less established character so has more room to develop and has the initial goal of proving himself to his new comrades as he filling in some big shoes. On the flip side playing as the rookie won't let you be able to make the big decisions, mostly following orders with only the ability to voice your opinion of current orders/the situation.

Or play as the squad leader? Much more established character that has known the people under his command for a long time and already has solid relationships. Initial goal of trying a hell of a lot harder to not take any more casualties and helping the rookie come into his own. His position would allow him to make the big tactical decisions that could change the course of a battle.
>>
What do you think would be the best way to write a quest in which most of the action (although not all) will take place commanding a tank?
>>
>>43871064

Rookie is the better option from a narrative point of view. It has the additional benefit of letting you as the QM explain the basics of the setting in character.

Not that the commander couldn't be done, but I think /tg/ would be more receptive to the basic Rookie experience.
>>
>>43871053
That's the main reason I haven't' started yet. I want to know I have a solid 2-week window in which I'll have hours of free time each day, an internet connection, and not be technically at work during either of those states.
That hasn't happened in at least two years.
>>
>>43871105

This. I'd be interested in either quest, and the leader one actually breaks a lot of questing tropes. But rookie seems easier to plan for and involve the playerbase in.
>>
>>43871064
I actually am going to be attempting this in the near future so here's my take on it.

Do both. Have the rookie be an officer fresh out of training put in charge of this experienced squad. It will give the players the agency they desire while placing a load of responsibility on them to not get these good soldiers killed.

Make it so the soldiers have to dollow the rookie's orders due to respect for rank, but have that tension be paramount in the squad's interactions with the MC. Not everything can be placated with good speeches, sometimes only successful action will work.

This also gives the players a bit of safety net for the EXTREMELY stupid suggestions, as the squad should raise their voices in protest if they feel the MC is ordering them to their deaths needlessly.

That's what I'll be doing in my future quest. Take it as you will, I also like both of your ideas. If I had to choose one of them, I'd go for the rookie route over the squad leader route.
>>
>>43871174
>questing tropes
Good lord, we have those? All is lost.
>>
>>43871186
>>43871174
>>43871105
Thanks guys.

>>43871213
>Good lord, we have those?
Kinda yeah.
>>
>>43871186

/tg/ will singleminsedly diplomance their entire squad, and get really upset when their autistic speeches about unity and camaraderie get shut down by their squadmates openly questioning their sexual orientation.

Don't get me wrong, I'd play the hell out of that quests, but you have to know going in that people are going to get mad.
>>
>>43871241
...Generation Kill Quest? Sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>43871213
Tropes are a thing. To deny that they exist is to deny that genres exist.
>>
>>43871241
On a note unrelated to that quest idea, I both dread and earnestly await the reaction from whatever players I get when I maybe run a quest where diplomacy really just won't work for a lot of the other characters. Especially if the MC isn't flat out loyal or precisely aligned with the goals of the people far far above them.
Even if players are used to that sort of thing in RPGs it'll be neat to make a quest where it's usually an idea that'll put them in for a bad time.
>>
>>43871241
That's exactly what I want to happen. Just because you have the rank doesn't necessarily mean you deserve their respect, you know?

>>43871249
I'm the guy with the AT-TE Quest idea. Clone troopers piloting a tank and taking no bullshit from the Commander simply because he's in the seat their last commander was in.
>>
>>43871280

House Malroy is the closest thing we have to that at the moment. The whole world is trying to dick over the MC, even the good guys. It's a very refreshing change of pace.
>>
>>43871280
Like a reputations system?
It's alright for the quests I've seen use it.
It ain't anything special, really. People have their chosen goals and loyalties and if players flip flop then that's valid Casus-Belli for other characters to go ahead and treat them like someone who flip fucking flops like a dumb uncertain fish.
Only, the QM is in charge of the bait. So if you've got a lot of opposing choices in with that mechanic, well, you know what you're in for.
>>
>>43871350
Fuck you Jon Arryn and your honeytrap
>>
>>43871350
I'm not big on ASOIAF but I'll definitely check it out.

>>43871374
But it can go so much further than that!
Say, whatever probable companions you arrive upon notice that this tends to be how you do things. They'll figure out the character is fairly manipulative, especially if the players focus on placation and power grabs. Being treated as someone who focuses their choices that way can become a circular thing, and if the players don't own it they'll find other people trying to take advantage of that trait. 'This dumb idiot is willing to talk, so set up a trap with a real diplomat and strike when the time is right.'
Of course that one would only work once, but there's loads of scenarios where trying to be excessively diplomatic can just backfire on the MC, or the MC's allies, or companions.
And then there's the problem that may occur where they just decide not to trust anyone. Since being alone is a real option, it can also be character development. Or at least I hope it can be, rather than quest-killing.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.