[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Devil Summoner: New Cycle Quest #13
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13
File: Title New Cycle.jpg (143 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
Title New Cycle.jpg
143 KB, 1200x803
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Devil%20Summoner%20London%20Quest
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/4keHKgX4
Twitter: https://twitter.com/MolochQM

Everyone around the table is silent, thinking over what they have just heard and trying to put an appropriate response into words. Every member of your group, your little gang of oddballs and misfits, seems baffled, bemused.

Your name is Mia Vespucci, and you were the first to return, along with the typically quiet and thoughtful Joseph. Next came Cassandra and Leon, neither of them willing to even so much as look at one another – something bad happened with them, you can tell. Finally, and considerably later than everyone else, Petra and Elliot slunk furtively in. You thought about asking them why they were so late, but the sight of the gleaming weapon dangling from Petra's belt stalled any other questions you might have had. Had she, you wondered to yourself, walked through London with a SWORD in open view?

“I was careful,” had been her casual response, paired with an equally unimpressed shrug. With that, and not wanting any further delays, you had all sat down to exchange information. That was when Elliot had dropped his incredible suggestion.

“Please, for the benefit of the whole class,” Amelia says slowly, pinching the bridge of her nose, “Can you repeat that?”

“Well, I was walking here when I had the idea,” Elliot says, a trifle defensively, “Why not try negotiations? Talking things out like rational human beings, hmm?”
>>
File: Mia face.jpg (908 KB, 1310x900) Image search: [Google]
Mia face.jpg
908 KB, 1310x900
>>43852496

Just like the first time he suggested it, the table falls silent to consider his words. You're not sure who you expected to speak up first – Petra, maybe, with some blunt denial – but it takes you entirely by surprise when Joseph makes his voice heard.

“I feel I should remind you,” the introspective young man says slowly, “That we're not dealing with human beings, and I'm not convinced that they're rational either. Negotiations, in either case, would require us to have something that they want – which, as far as I know, we do not have.”

“Their lives,” Leon says in a bleak voice, speaking up for the first time, “They can do what we want, or they're fuckin' dead.”

“Well,” Joseph sounds a little uncertain, “I suppose that might-”

“And then we kill 'em regardless,” Leon bangs his fist down, grinning mirthlessly, “Send their boss a proper fuckin' message.”

“Now look here!” Elliot snaps – have you ever heard him snap before? - before the conversation can run away from him, “These slavers, they're the mercenary sort are they not? We just need this Lady, whoever she is, to call her storms off for one night – maybe even just a couple of hours! Just long enough to go in, do what we need to do and hop back to good old England, that's it.”

“Actually,” Cassandra says slowly, “I might be able to get us in. I've got a friend who's been offered a job. We could slip in, under the guise of slaves...”

The room falls silent once more as everyone considers the idea. You can't deny that it has a certain appeal, cutting past a lot of wasted time and getting straight to rescuing your father, but there are so many risks. All it would take is for one part of the plan to fail, one demon to go back on their end of the bargain...

“Mia,” Amelia says slowly, “It's your father we're after, what do you think?”

>I want to hear what everyone else thinks first
>No negotiations. We attack
>We'll try talking this time
>>
>>43852503
>>I want to hear what everyone else thinks first
"Though if we do have to keep going into the Demon realm, even after my father's rescue, we will need to deal with this Lady and her storms eventually."
>>
>>43852503
>>I want to hear what everyone else thinks first
If we go with the disguise option, we're going to need a few more former "freelancers". It's too suspicious if Ose managed to catch so many humans by himself.

Even then, we may want some people travelling through the tunnels anyway, for a two-tiered assault. On the other hand, DONT SPLIT THE PARTY
>>
>>43852597
I believe the tunnels only lead to Lady's domain and not the Intoxicating Fortress unfortunately.
>>
>>43852625
Are they? I don't think we actually know.
>>
>>43852634
>Does he know where these tunnels lead, you ask first, just a general direction?

>“Uh, these ones?” the brute grunts, his voice slightly muffled by the ground, “Not these ones, I guess. All the tunnels, 'bout these parts, lead to the Lady's domain. S'where she holds court, does her thing, you know.”

Seems clear cut, but he might be wrong.
>>
>>43852653
hmm, right. When he said "Not these ones", I assumed that meant a link to the Intoxicated One.

That said, if they lead TO the Lady's domain, where FROM?
>>
>>43852706
Well we gotta ask her that ourselves when we 'meet' her don't we? See if she has a direct tunnel to the fortress.
>>
>>43852653
If I remember right Sui-Ki mentioned never actually going to the Lady. He might not know what lies beyond
>>43852706
Maybe we should sent someone to explore the tunnels properly. Then again that would be splitting the party even more
>>
>>43852723
God, we're actually going to TALK to the demons.

>anyone bring the Fundraise app?
>>
File: Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg (51 KB, 585x720) Image search: [Google]
Cassandra (Before Haircut).jpg
51 KB, 585x720
>>43852540
>>43852597

Thinking hard, you realise that – sooner or later – you'll have to find some way of dealing with the Lady, if you plan on venturing into the demon world again. She could be a powerful ally if swayed but that all depends on how willing she is to listen to whatever you have to say. Still, it can't hurt to see what everyone else thinks about the situation. Quietly, calmly, you announce that you won't make a decision until you've heard everyone's opinion.

“Either option could work,” Amelia admits, “And the next full moon is, conveniently enough, tomorrow night – assuming the lunar cycle is the same over there, I mean. You'd have time to prepare, but if the Intoxicating One suspects that something is up, he might have time to prepare as well.”

“I don't like it,” Petra says next, “Dealing with demons isn't as simple as signing a contract, yes? I don't like pleading with some demon, hoping they'll listen to us. We fight, yes?”

“We might be able to cut a deal with the Lady,” Cassandra offers, uncertainty in her voice, “But the guardian? I know I suggested sneaking past in disguise, but... I want that thing's head. After everything it's done, it doesn't have the right to live a moment longer than absolutely necessary.”

“Well, you know my opinion by now,” Elliot adds, “I shan't say it's a definite thing, but I think it's worth a try. If talking doesn't work, then we try the old reliable methods.”

“I'm not fond of the idea of serving those things,” Joseph says simply, “I don't want to be in thrall to some demon or another. Fighting IS risky, but it would pose less problems in the future I think. Get rid of the Lady now, and we won't have to worry about her in the future.”

“No point in talkin', is there?” Leon asks with a shrug, “Pretty words ain't the language these bastards speak in. Just fuck 'em up and move on.”
>>
>>43852767

So that's what everyone else thinks. A general preference against negotiations, perhaps, but from the way they all look at you... they might listen to you. Why, you couldn't really say – because it's your father you're all supposed to be rescuing? Does that somehow give you authority over everyone else? You're not really sure if you want that kind of authority.

“Well,” Amelia sounds a little uncertain here, “If we put it to a vote, I think I know what the result would be. Still...”

Yes, and here she looks across the table at you. So does everyone else, their faces mixed between honest curiosity and carefully composed neutrality. Even Leon seems to be waiting for your answer, with more patience than you'd ever have expected from him. Perhaps he's confident that you'll see his side of things, or perhaps he has his own plan brewing. Either way, it looks like you're going to have to make a decision...

>We're fighting. No negotiations
>Alright, we'll try talking this one out
>We've got time, right? Let's try and gather more information before deciding
>Other
>>
>>43852775
>Other
"Intoxicating One is weak against the storms right? Let's try talking to the Lady to start. See what she wants and what her deal is. If we don't like it we can always kill her or maybe force her into one of our phones if we are lucky. We could possibly use the storms against the Slavers which is an advantage we should try to get."
>>
>>43852775
I prefer going tunnels all the way, but more because I want to catch the Intoxicated One unawares than any guarantee that it's the best option.

Spend some time looking for a servant of the Lady and recruit him as a guide through the tunnels.

If there's a way straight to the Intoxicated One, we take it and kill him first. I can't guarantee that we'll be able to beat the Guardian after that, though. Not if a storm rages and we would need to beat the Lady AND Guardian before full moon is over.

If there ISN'T a way through the tunnels, I guess just deal with the Lady either way?
>>
>>43852775
>We've got time, right? Let's try and gather more information before deciding
>>
>>43852843
seems like there's not a lot of anons here, but I really got to sleep. good luck with the Lady, gents.
>>
>>43852926
G'nite
>>
>>43852775
>>We've got time, right? Let's try and gather more information before deciding
Priority should go towards gathering new demons. Mia's fine but everyone else could use some more guys
>>
>>43852936
>>43852899
>>43852843
>>43852841

Thinking over everything you've learned, both from your own research and from what the others have told you, you propose an idea. If the Intoxicating One really is vulnerable to the storms surrounding his fortress, then the Lady could be a strong ally against him. You could do worse than talking to her and seeing if she's willing to work with you. If not, well, that's when you can resort to violence – as much of it as you might need.

“I suppose that would cover part of the plan,” Cassandra says, a little dubiously, “But it doesn't really handle the Intoxicating One if he remains inside his fortress, or the guardian beast.”

That's why you were thinking about the tunnel networks, you tell Cassandra. If the Lady has a tunnel leading straight to the Intoxicating One's fortress, you could slip past the guardian beast and take the fight straight to the Intoxicating One himself. Cut off the head, you add, and deal with the body later. She'll get her chance at revenge, even if it doesn't come quite as quickly as she'd like. In either case, you've got time before the full moon, so why not take the chance to gather a little more intelligence?

Everyone seems to sag a little at that, the feeling of an anticlimax falling across the table like a wet blanket. There is a discontented silence, but then Joseph speaks up. “I think it's a good idea,” he says carefully, “We could try to gather some more recruits as well. We could certainly use them.”

“Not a bad idea,” Amelia agrees, “Flip over a few rocks and see what crawls out. I've got to warn you though, if we miss this full moon, we might not get another one. If we can't be ready by tomorrow, we'll need to find some way around the guardian. The tunnels, maybe, but it those are a dead end...”
>>
>>43852996

So it's decided then. Split up for now to gather information and recruits, and then you can make a more concrete move tomorrow when you know the exact situation. As for how you'll divide up though...

“I'm the only one who's actually been down in those tunnels,” Cassandra offers, “I don't know the way exactly, but it's more experience than anyone else has. I volunteer to explore that way.”

“If you DO meet the Lady, I want to be there,” Elliot says carefully, “Not to imply a lack of trust or anything drastic, but I'd rather handle the negotiations myself. Can't help but think I'm least likely to present our offer at the point of a sword.”

Petra bristles a little at the implication in his words, but she keeps her sullen opinions to herself. Now, what about her and everyone else – just enter the demon world and wait to see what you find? Is that how Amelia handled things, when she was running around as a human?

“Pretty much,” the deity shrugs, “They tended to fall into my lap. I guess I got lucky, that way.”

In that case, it might be best to pair up like normal and search in different directions. No point in covering the same old ground, after all. You're looking between Joseph, Leon and Petra when the redhead's hand falls heavily on your shoulder – hard enough that you almost slump down onto the table.

“We should give the men some time alone, yes?” Petra offers, grinning, “Have some girl time, just us two!”

Something about the way she says that sounds kind of... worrying.

>I'd rather go with Leon
>I'd rather go with Joseph
>Okay, I'll go with you
>I should probably go with Elliot and Cassandra
>>
>>43853137
>Okay, I'll go with you
>>
>>43853137
>Okay, I'll go with you
>>
>>43853137
>Okay, I'll go with you

Let's see, Amelia had:

1 starter Demon
2 gift Demons
6 persuaded Demons
1 Ritual/Summoned Demon
1 Traded Demon
>>
>>43853207
>>43853188
>>43853158

Okay, you say against your better judgement, you'll go with Petra. Leon and Joseph can watch each other's backs – you don't see any reason why they shouldn't get along, after all.

“Aye, fine with me,” Leon says with an indifferent shrug. He looks Joseph up and down before smirking a little, “Looks like I'm gonna be doin' all the fightin' either way.”

“We'll leave them to it,” Petra whispers to you, watching with amusement as the two young men size each other up. What is it about Leon, you wonder, that seems to cause arguments wherever he goes? Does he just enjoy stepping on people's toes? Shaking your head – you don't really have the time nor the inclination to understand him right now – you follow Petra as she practically drags you from the room.

Just what is she so eager about, you ask as you hastily follow her, and why is she so keen on taking you along?

“You'll see,” Petra looks back at you, grinning, “Got a friend in the fairy kingdom, yes? She does things with demons – just wait and see! She might have work, little tasks here and there, that need doing. That's the way to get what you want, in that world. Favours for favours, yes?”

You get what she means, but... Sighing and shaking your head, you let yourself get swept away by the redhead's eagerness. You'll see what happens when you get there. You just hope that everyone else stays out of trouble...

>Please choose a character
>Mia
>Joseph
>Cassandra
>>
>>43853331
>Mia
>>
>>43853331
>Mia
Want to play as our leading lady just a bit longer.
>>
>>43853331
>>Mia
>Petra dragging Mia off for some "girl time"
This I gotta see
>>
>>43853331
>Looks like I'm gonna be doin' all the fightin' either way.”

>Leon - Lenean Sidhe
>Joseph - Archangel

Yeah okay Leon, sure.
>>
>>43853344
>>43853368
>>43853396

Sticking to the back streets as much as possible – Petra does still have a sword dangling from her belt, after all – you make your way back to Hyde Park and prepare to shift over to the demon world. Hunkered down in an alley against the flurries of fresh snow drifting through the streets, you both take out your phones. Is that a hint of hesitation, you wonder, in Petra's movements as she gets ready to shift? It makes you think about the same uncertainty you feel about using the Gateway, the ever-present risk of being thrust into Source's clutches dogging at your nerves.

If she shares in that uncertainty, it doesn't show for long. Grimacing slightly, Petra hits the icon on her phone and shudders out of existence – an act that you quickly mirror. A perfect transition, this time, and you find yourself standing near the gate to the fairy kingdom in the blink of an eye. Relief washes over you, but before you can savour the feeling, Petra grabs your hand and hurries off through the gates and into the familiar forest. Her pace only lets up once you're back within the palace – the guards nodding at you as you arrive, apparently having accepted you as a welcome guest.

“Demons,” Petra explains as she finally falls still, releasing your hand in order to show you the necklace of teeth she wears, “Can be made into weapons, armour, stuff like this, yes? All magic, all bestowing power upon the wearer.” Dropping her voice low, Petra glances around to check that the corridor is empty before continuing. “Much more reliable than demons, yes?”

...Maybe? You've never really had many complaints with your demons – Nadja's brief lapse of judgement being the sole issue – and you're not exactly much of a fighter yourself. You can see why Petra might favour the personal touch, but she's not a scrawny fourteen year old, is she?

>But I LIKE my demons!
>You might have a point...
>Avoid the issue
>Other
>>
>>43853519
>>You might have a point...
"But as it stands I'm not much of a fighter and all my demons are useful as they are. I mean Lilim is an information dealer, that's pretty damn useful. Besides..."

>I LIKE my demons!
"Well at least the ones I have currently. Did I mention I formed a pact with one that was yelling at us while we were looking for Leon. The girl is silly."
>>
>>43853568
>>43853519
Pretty much this.

Surely you haven't forgotten Amelia had like 9 demons, barely used her knuckleduster (seemed reserved for things that messed with her head), and was still pretty damn effective.
>>
>>43853568
>>43853606

Well, she might have a point, you admit that much to her. As it stands though, you're not much of a fighter – better, and much safer, to leave that kind of thing to your demons. Beside, even outside of battle, they've got their own particular uses. Lilim is pretty good at gathering information, for example, and you'd be a lot worse off without her knowledge.

“You make sense,” Petra admits, smiling a little with nostalgia, “Ah, back in the day, Amelia was always talking with her demons, about whatever we needed to kill next...”

Besides, you cut Petra off before she can get lost in memories from another life, you LIKE your demons! Well... most of them. You were pretty glad to get rid of one of them in particular. Speaking of demons, though, you managed to recruit another one – that loudmouth that had been harassing you when you were looking for Leon. She's a weird one, but she seems obedient now. Convinced that she's the mightiest demon in the land, true, but that just means she's desperate to prove herself.

“Very well,” Petra nods, conceding the point. “But you're going to need to get fit soon,” she warns you, “Tough times ahead, yes? There's no room for weakness in the days ahead!”

Fine fine, you sigh, waving her concern off. You'll do... whatever it is people do to get in shape. Eat a lot of oats or... something. For now though, wasn't she taking you to see her “friend” in the kingdom?

“Of course!” Petra slaps her forehead in amused frustration, “Come along now!” Then, as you begin to regret your decision, she grabs your hand again and hurries off down the castle corridors as you struggle to keep up. At least she slows down when you reach a staircase, the worn steps leading you down into the biggest library you've ever seen. Before you can appreciate the books, you're whisked off again down a row that could have been picked at random.
>>
File: Scathach.png (203 KB, 323x426) Image search: [Google]
Scathach.png
203 KB, 323x426
>>43853780
“Looking for me?” the voice – a relief, after wandering aimlessly for so long – comes from behind you and is warm with amusement, “You make quite a lot of noise, hurrying back and forth like that. Don't you remember that this is a library?” Turning, your eyes grow wide as you stare into the blank, masked face and see the charming eyes behind the mask. “I am Scathach. Teacher and, I suppose, scientist. That IS the term you humans would use, is it not? I experiment, and I observe the results.”

That sounds like a scientist, you agree, before glancing around at Petra. The redhead looks a little embarrassed at getting lost, but glad to see the demon. They've got history, you quickly deduce.

“So,” Scathach - her legs folded in a casual sitting position, as if she wasn't floating in mid air – asks, “What can I do for you? Are you here seeking my services again? If it's information you're looking for, I've already told you everything I know. However...” she trails off here, and a smile comes into her eyes, “If you weren't busy, I did have a little task that I could use some assistance with. It's so hard to get help these days, you see, and I rarely have the chance to venture far...”

Those are some pretty heavy hints she's dropping there. If you didn't know any better, you'd swear she was asking for your help.

>Okay, what do you need me to do?
>I'd like to forge a demon, please
>We were just here to say hello...
>Other
>>
>>43853863

If I didn't know any better she misses working with those crazy humans.
>>
>>43853863
>>
>>43853883
>>43853897

Okay then, you say, you'll take the bait. What does she need you to do?

“A small matter, a trifle really,” Scathach waves her hand indifferently, “Just fetch a certain idol from some ruins, that's all. You don't even need to leave the kingdom – it's that easy!”

So there's definitely a catch coming. You know that much right away. You press Scathach for a few more details, and with an indulgent sigh, she answers you.

“Yes yes, the ruins are in the frozen North – although I'd wager you're both quite used to the cold by now. The remains of an old gaol, belonging to a certain king whose name has been removed from the history books. At the very bottom, soaking in the essence of the place, the idol waits for someone to come along and take it. Oh, but do watch out for the natives. They have their own set of primitive suspicions, and I imagine the idol features quite heavily into them.”

“So that's it?” Petra confirms, “Just snatch it and run?”

“Oh yes,” Scathach adds in a flighty tone, “And I heard some rumours about a man from The Shackle lurking around. Nothing that's been confirmed though – I wouldn't worry about it. Just bring me that one little idol, and I'll reimburse you with some choice items of my own.”

And there it is, that catch you were expecting. Now what would an agent from The Shackle be wanting with this mysterious idol? Just to steal it and sell it on, or does this thing have some power you should be aware of?

“They'll steal anything,” Scathach shrugs, “Barbarians. No respect for history. Hurry along now, that idol won't stay there forever.” Waving you away with a distracted hand, the demon turns away from you and glides down the row of shelves, her hand trailing against the leather-bound books. Galling as it is, you've just been dismissed.
>>
>>43854065
“They'll steal anything,” Scathach shrugs, “Barbarians. No respect for history.
ISIS?
>>
>>43854065

The trip to the north is a long one and, despite what Scathach said, not a particularly pleasant one. The nice, warm forests that surround the fairy kingdom gradually give way to barren wastelands that stretch off into infinite distance. The snow falls, first in a few isolated flakes but soon in thick drifts that howl and swirl around you on a biting wind. Scowling hard, you pull your coat tighter around yourself and press forwards. What are you even looking for out here – a gaol? What on earth does a gaol look like?

“A ruined gaol,” Petra corrects you, raising her voice against the ever-present whistle of the wind, “So we're looking for a pile of shitty rocks and stones, yes?”

Which doesn't help much, you shout back, when you can barely see what's in front of you. Before you can shout anything else, you think you see something – a light in the distance. As you forge onwards, you begin to make out a mound, a bulge in the earth, and the sound of metal rhythmically clanking against stone reaches your ears. It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's a sign of civilisation nonetheless. Petra follows you as you hurry off towards the mound.

Approaching the bulge, it becomes clear to you that it's no natural formation. Some of the stones littering the area are still obviously formed by deliberate hands, even after an unknown length of time left out to erode. The light comes from a kind of lichen, something that glows with a soft and alien light. The largest clumps of that glowing moss are clustered around an entrance, a tunnel leading down into the hollow earth. Exchanging a shrug with Petra, you begin to descend the rough hewn stairs.
>>
File: Kobold.jpg (457 KB, 1376x2640) Image search: [Google]
Kobold.jpg
457 KB, 1376x2640
>>43854268

That rhythmic clank you heard from the outside is louder here, echoing off the walls as you descend the curving staircase. It isn't long before you see the first of the demons, standing in a deep recess and hammering a crude pickaxe into the stone wall. It almost looks humanoid, save for the dog-like features that mark it out from anything you recognise. Ignoring the cold, it is dressed in little more than thin armour and a loincloth. As you approach, it seems not to notice you.

“Dig,” it murmurs between blows from the pickaxe, “Dig. Dig deep. Dig down.” Even when Petra waves her hand in front of its face, it doesn't react. The redhead almost tries to pull the thing away from the rock it is carving away, but you shake your head desperately. There's no point in provoking the thing.

“True,” Petra nods, backing away from the thing and leading the way down the remains of the stairs. The air here, you realise, isn't quite right. There's the smell, of course – the smell of wet dog pervades every inch of this place – but that's not all. It's a kind of emotional taint, like just breathing the air here is enough to steal away any hope you might have had. It gets harder just to keep moving, and not just collapse where you walk.

Fighting through the urge to sit down and weep, you pass several more of those dog-headed demons until you reach the bottom. A heavy iron door lies in the corridor, ripped from its hinges, and beyond lies the deepest chamber. You stop a few paces short and listen – there is a deep chuckle coming from within, far deeper than anything you heard from the dog-headed demons.

>Go in fighting
>Take this slow, no need to open hostilities
>Other
>>
>>43854386
>Other
Don't immediately open up and attack, but have demons out, weapons equipped.

Nadja and Dullahan
>>
>>43854386
>>Take this slow, no need to open hostilities
If we're outnumbered, there's no need to go completely balls to the wall violent.
>>
File: Kin-ki.jpg (503 KB, 1416x2648) Image search: [Google]
Kin-ki.jpg
503 KB, 1416x2648
>>43854414
>>43854415

You hiss a warning to Petra, who nods and takes out her phone. There's no way of knowing if fighting one demon – whatever it is down there – will rouse all the others to fight as well. For now, best to keep things nice and calm. No need to cause any senseless massacres, now is there?

Still, you summon Nadja to your side and nod to Petra, who summons Dullahan, her own demon. Just because you're willing to take this peacefully, that doesn't mean you're going to leave yourself defenceless while you do so. With the pair of demons watching your back, you sweep through the doorway and look quickly around. The room – it's impossible to tell how small it was once – has been hollowed out into a vast chamber, with a hideously deformed thing growing in the centre. Standing beside that twisted object is a glittering demon, his chiselled physique shining like pure gold. The thing laughs again, a booming sound, as he sees you.

“Puny humans, TINY humans!” it bellows, with surprisingly good cheer, “Have you come to worship at the foot of the Earthen Idol as well? If so, grab a pickaxe and start working – your prophet demands this of you!” Another loud, grating laugh escapes the demon as he points to a stack of pickaxes.

So... that awful, malformed thing must be the idol Scathach wanted you to find. Why she'd want such an ugly thing is a mystery to you but that hardly matters now. You've got this “prophet” to deal with first.

>Are those demons outside your slaves? Their minds are... gone
>Why are you here?
>What does this idol do?
>I'm taking the idol. You can join me, or you can die
>Other
>>
>>43854649
>Why are you here?
>What does this idol do?
>You work for the Shackle?

Then
>I'm taking the idol. You can join me, or you can die
>>
>>43854718
>>43854649
This

Get info then fight.

We are hitting all the Oni's aren't we?
>>
>>43854751
>We are hitting all the Oni's aren't we?
And that guardian thing was supposed to be vulnerable under the full moon. That's the big one I guess. Can't remember the name though
>>
>>43854770
Ongyo-ki

Dudes pretty cool.
>>
>>43854787
Wonder if we could recruit him. Might piss Cass off though
>>
>>43854891
Servitude and eventual itemization could be a fate worse than death. Up to her though.
>>
File: Earthen Idol.jpg (39 KB, 429x599) Image search: [Google]
Earthen Idol.jpg
39 KB, 429x599
Rolled 79, 19 = 98 (2d100)

>>43854718
>>43854751

Why, you ask with as much of an unimpressed tone as you can muster, is he here?

“Here?” the golden brute barks, “The wealth, of course! Uncounted riches lie beneath here – gold ore, diamonds, the fruits of the very rock! Those weak minded Kobolds were drawn here, brought by the power of the Earthen Idol, and now they slave away for MY purposes. Those fools worship the shining ores found here, so is it any wonder that they see me – the great Kin-Ki - as their god, when I am so magnificently gilded?”

So... the idol draws people to it, you ask, draws them to it and keeps them here?

“Those of weak mind and character,” Kin-Ki corrects you, “Not I, of course, although...” his small, red eyes glaze over slightly here, “Being so close to the idol is... good. A comfort. Perhaps I'll stay here a while longer.” Shaking his head with a sudden grunt of anger, Kin-Ki stamps his foot in rage, “No!” he bellows, “This wealth, this gold, must be returned to The Shackle!”

He works for them, does he? You feel yourself grinning, despite the fatigue that weighs you down. That means no matter what you do to him, you don't need to feel guilty about it later. Pointing at him, you deliver your “offer”. You're going to be taking the idol, you tell him, and he can either join your side and come along with it, or he can die here in this awful place!

“Ugh, so it's a fight you want?” the brute snarls, clenching his fists, “You're all so weak, so puny – I'll crush you into dust!”

>Please roll 2D100, for Nadja and Dullahan. I'll take the highest of the first three!
>>
Rolled 40, 20 = 60 (2d100)

>>43854955
>>
>>43854955
Mess em up.
>>
File: 1448306363500.jpg (36 KB, 329x359) Image search: [Google]
1448306363500.jpg
36 KB, 329x359
Rolled 99, 46 = 145 (2d100)

>>43854955
>Nadja's face when
>>
Rolled 71, 74 = 145 (2d100)

>>43854995
>>43854955
Woops, forgot the important bit.
>>
>>43855003
I think she is gooood. Nice roll.
>>
>>43855003
impressive.jpg
>>
File: Nadja.jpg (153 KB, 1040x1688) Image search: [Google]
Nadja.jpg
153 KB, 1040x1688
>>43855003
>>43855006

Dullahan is quick to act, brushing past you as she sweeps forwards and thrusts her long, gleaming sword into Kin-Ki's muscular breast. It's a well aimed strike, and not even the strictest fencing instructor would be able to fault her skill in delivering it. In fact, you almost expect to hear a flourish of applause coming from some phantom audience.

A shame, then, that it glances off Kin-Ki's metal skin without leaving so much as a scratch.

“You'll have to do better than THAT,” the golden ogre sneers, flexing his muscles in a way that causes the light to ripple off them, “Now, my turn – I hope you're ready!” Howling, he swings his tightly clenched fist up towards Dullahan in a vicious uppercut, the kind of blow that would blast a man's head clean off his shoulders – not that Dullahan herself would be bothered by such an injury, but still. His punch leaves a glittering trail behind it, like a rain of gold dust that obscures your vision. When the dust settles – literally – you can't help but laugh in amazed surprise.

Dullahan is holding his fist tightly in her grip, her teeth clenched as she holds the blow in place. The ogre's fist trembles as he fights against her surprising strength but, for the time being at least, the pair are in a stalemate. Shaking off your wonder, you urge Nadja forwards, before the window of opportunity closes. Nodding eagerly, the little demon scurries across the rough ground, ducking through Dullahan's parted legs and coming up close to Kin-Ki. Powerful lighting courses across her hands as slams them, palm first, into the demon's golden skin.

The effect is, well, pretty damn impressive. Electrifying, you could say – if you were in the mood to make bad jokes, that is.
>>
File: Dullahan.jpg (131 KB, 772x1280) Image search: [Google]
Dullahan.jpg
131 KB, 772x1280
>>43855240

Roaring and howling, Kin-Ki shakes and twists as the lighting rips through him, coursing across his swollen muscles until, after a painfully long time, smoke begins to belch from his ears. Then, and only then, does Nadja remove her hands and allow the giant to collapse down onto one knee. A long, low groan escapes him as you push past to take a closer look at the idol. It's... still as disgusting as when you first saw it, but something about it does strike you as somehow compelling. You could very well see how someone would covet such a thing...

“Human,” Kin-Ki rasps, “Beware the idol's power, and beware those who seek it. It has rested here, soaked in anguish and torment, for countless years. I see now that even I could not resist its enchantment – my great and noble mind was taken from me.”

You barely pay any attention to his rambling as you pace around the idol, thinking hard to yourself about how to get the thing back to Scathach. It's certainly too heavy – and definitely too bulky – for you to carry it alone. Even with Petra's help, it would be a challenge. It's only when Kin-Ki speaks again that you glance around at him.

“You, human, who freed my mind – I would be honoured to serve one such as yourself,” he rumbles, still folded up into a kneeling posture, “My strength is great, despite what you have seen today.”

He's offering his service? After watching him pose like that, his muscles grotesquely exaggerated, you're not sure you want to spend any more time with him...

>Take his service
>Offer him to Petra
>Reject his service
>>
>>43855301
>Take his service
We need something more than cute demonfus to get by.
>>
>>43855316
On one hand we could use a Phys, but Petra only has one demon.
>>
>>43855301
>>Take his service
>>
>>43855338
>>43855301
Eh fuck it. Petra counts as a combatant so technically she has two.

And if we need to spread the love we can always transfer demons. Its the nice thing about having 6 Devil Summoners in the same group.

Even if we have to divvy up Demons like they are raid loot in an MMO.
>>
>>43855369
>>43855301
And I forgot my vote.
>Take his service
>>
>>43855301
>>Take his service
We can always jam him into a necklace or something later. Turn him into a gaudy gold chain or something
>>
File: Gold.jpg (178 KB, 600x751) Image search: [Google]
Gold.jpg
178 KB, 600x751
>>43855410
Go big or go home
>>
>>43855316
>>43855339
>>43855381
>>43855410

You glance back to Petra – Kin-Ki seems more like her type – but the redhead holds up her hands and shakes her head. You beat him, fair and square, and now he's pledging himself to you. Sighing, you nod and put your hand on Kin-Ki's head. You accept his service, you tell him, now he can get up and make himself useful. You've got a bulky, heavy idol to shift back to the fairy kingdom, and he's just the man for the job.

“Is that a good idea?” the ogre asks as he rises to his feet, casting a bitter glance towards the idol, “That thing is a curse upon all who bear it.”

“Scathach is smart, yes?” Petra argues, “She can handle a toy like this. Better to put it into her hands than to leave it here, for anyone to stumble across. This greedy fool was using it to get rich, but what if someone tried to gather an army of slaves?”

“Slaves,” Kin-Ki grunts, “Those Kobolds out there will protect the idol. They are weak, both in body and mind, but there are many of them. A lot of blood will be spilled getting the idol out of here.”

You almost expect Petra to boast here, announcing her lack of concern, but she remains silent, glaring suddenly at the ground. A few moments later, she speaks in a hollow voice. “We can't just leave it here, and those slaves have lost their minds. I'll protect you, if you choose to take the idol out of here, but the decision is yours alone.” She grimaces here. “I don't know what to do.”

You don't either. Leave it here for anyone else to stumble across, or take it and deal with the consequences? Or a third option maybe, something to keep the idol from falling into anyone else's hands...

>Have Kin-Ki carry the idol out
>Leave the idol here
>Other
>>
>>43855647
Smash the fucking idol to bits, then collect the pieces and take to Scathach
>>
>>43855671
She might want it intact. And the Kobolds might still protect it.
>>
>>43855686
Barricade the doors and she can put it back together
>>
>>43855702
How are going to get it to her if we barricade the doors? Then we are just stuck here.

Moloch how many Kobolds are out there?
>>
>>43855647
>>Have Kin-Ki carry the idol out
>>
>>43855724
>Moloch how many Kobolds are out there?

>About 12. On their own though, they're very weak
>>
>>43855647
>Have Kin-Ki carry the idol out

But BEFORE we do that
>Other
The Kobolds are still mindlessly digging right? Petra, Dullahan, and Kin-ki can backstab/coup de grace some of them before the fight starts.

Kill the Kobolds first, then come back for the idol. If they clump together we can AoE them with Hua Po or Nadja.
>>
>>43855767
That would probably work but are we really gonna shank a bunch of defenseless guys? That's pretty cruel
>>
>>43855812
WORLD OF STRENGTH!

In all seriousness though, if we try to carry this thing out they are going try and maul us like a pack of dogs. With pickaxes.

It ain't pretty but I want to minimize risk to Petra and Mia.
>>
>>43855812
Can we just rough them up to get them back to their senses or are the numbers keeping that from being feasible?
>>
>>43855852
I'm not sure if they have any senses to come back to. Kin-ki was able to talk and fight back but the Kobolds were like zombies.
>>
>>43855647
>>43855767
Going with this. It's rough but I think it's the only way.
>>
>>43856038
>>43855767
>>43855726

The Kobolds, as you understand it, will only attack you to defend the idol. Until then, they're mindless – too focussed on their search for mineral wealth to even notice the world around them. They're vulnerable. No, not vulnerable – defenceless.

“Mia...” Petra says slowly, a note of warning in her voice.

They'll swarm down here and tear you all apart at the first sign of tampering with the idol, you insist. But right now, while you're yet to touch the thing, they won't fight back. It's the perfect moment to strike! You say this with hasty eagerness, but Petra doesn't immediately reply. She is silent for a long time before the first words drop from her lips.

“Their minds are gone,” she says quietly, as if to herself, “We'd be putting them out of their misery. Mia...” she takes a breath and looks you in the eye, “Stay here, yes? Cover your ears, if you want.”

You open your mouth to reply but then, before you can say anything, Petra pats you on the shoulder and takes off, Dullahan haunting her steps. She walks out of the hollowed out chamber, taking the sword from her belt as she does so. You try to follow her but your limbs will not obey. All you can do is stand there, rooted to the spot, as the sound of Petra's footsteps fade away. Then, one by one, the sounds of pickaxes striking rock are cut off. It takes a long time, a painfully long time, but eventually silence falls. You never realised how awful silence could be, until now. Even that silence, though, doesn't last as Petra's footsteps return.

With her hands forming tight balls by her side, the redhead enters the chamber again, her expression utterly bleak. “Let's get this thing out of here,” she says simply. Unable to reply, you merely nod.
>>
Shit. I suppose I was too focused on the tactical side and forgot Petra had to do shit like that last cycle too.
>>
>>43856141

In the end, it's an easy thing for Kin-Ki to rip the idol up from the ground and carry it up the stairs. You follow, fixing your eyes on the ogre's back and focusing on nothing else. Even when your feet splash in puddles of some unseen liquid, you don't look down. At the top of the stairs, you exit the gaol and fill your lungs with a precious gasp of cold, clean air. It feels like that crisp air cleanses your entire body, leaving you shivering but somehow purified.

As you endure the long journey back to the castle, the only sound is that of Kin-Ki grunting and heaving. Even when the churning clouds of snow fade into nothingness, and fresh grass starts to jut up between rocks and broken earth, you still find yourself gripped by a slight shudder. It's only when the castle itself looms up before you that Petra speaks.

“You can take it from here, yes?” she asks you softly, “I have something I need to do. Alone.”

...She's right – you CAN take it from here. Between Kin-Ki carrying the idol itself, and Petra doing... what she did, you feel somehow guilty about the whole ordeal. The least you can do is handle this last part of the task. Though, is she really going to be okay on her own?

“Of course,” Petra forces a crooked smile, “This... isn't the first time I've done this, yes?”

That makes it all the worse, somehow.

>Stay safe Petra
>You shouldn't be alone right now
>Other
>>
>>43856302
>>You shouldn't be alone right now
>>
>>43856302
>You shouldn't be alone right now
>>
>>43856302
>>You shouldn't be alone right now
Being Petra is suffering
>>
>>43856325
>>43856383
>>43856386

No, you tell her softly, she shouldn't be alone right now. You don't want to leave her alone right now. Petra looks surprised for a moment, then her face softens into something approaching a genuine smile.

“Is that so?” she asks, “You are worried about me, yes? Don't be – I'm tough. This way, perhaps, is best for them. Demons are not like people, yes? They die, but not forever. When they return to their lives, it will be with free minds.”

That's... actually, you have no idea if that's correct, or just something that Petra is telling herself. It could be either, really, but you don't feel particularly inclined towards prying. If that's what she tells herself, to lift her mind from whatever dark recess it sunk into, who are you to force her to think something else?

“Don't forget this day,” she warns you, patting you on the shoulder, “Sometimes, we must do things that are distasteful – things we never imagined doing before this. We are lucky, this time. We can go back to our homes, our lives, at the end of it. But!” she forces herself to sound cheerful, as energetic as you've grown used to seeing her, “All this will be wasted, yes, if we do not rescue your father!”

That's right, you reply with a resolute smile, you're doing this for him. Now – to see what Scathach has managed to find for you. After all this, it better be something worthwhile. That's what you tell yourself as you order Kin-Ki through the castle corridors, watching as various Pixies flee before his advancing bulk. How on earth, you ask yourself, are you going to fit this through the library stacks?
>>
>>43856665

In the end, you don't need to. Scathach is waiting for you at the entrance to the archives, with some unreadable light in her cunning eyes. Satisfaction, at getting the idol she was after, or something else entirely? You don't know, and you get the feeling that she wouldn't tell you even if you asked.

“Just leave the idol there,” she tells you, before even offering greetings or thanks, “I'll have it dealt with. Ah, but I've been looking forwards to getting my hands on this...”

You exchange a glance with Petra as Kin-Ki lets the idol drop. Now, you say slowly, about that reward she promised you...

“Of course,” Scathach assures you, sweeping her hands through the air to reveal a neatly folded bundle of... feathers? “Two items, since there were two of you sent. Goods of the highest quality, I assure you. Observe this first item,” Another imperious gesture and the bundle unfolds to reveal a short cloak made from white feathers, “The Winter Mantle, made of feathers from a precious beast. Ice will offer you no danger while you wear it.”

That sounds good, you murmur as you take the cloak, feeling the soft feathers brushing against your fingertips. The second item?

“Midnight,” Scathach says with a flourish, drawing a curious dagger – a kukri – from a black sheath, “A precious blade, one that grants the wielder the ability to blink through space. Short distances, yes, but the perfect thing for a nimble fighter.”

You take the dagger, now nestled within the soft leather sheath, and weigh it in your hands. It feels good, somehow. Dangerously so.

>Keep Midnight
>Keep the Winter Mantle
>Take neither item
>>
>>43856777
>Keep Midnight
Blinking can keep Mia out of danger more so than Null Ice can.

And if Petra is going to be going into harms way more often an elemental immunity would be good.
>>
>>43856777
>Keep Midnight

>>43856822
Pretty much. Besides Petra already has a nice longsword.

Hey Moloch was the Winter Mantle made from Hres's feathers?
>>
>>43856777
>>Keep Midnight
Poor Hresvelgr
>>
>>43856777
>>Keep the Winter Mantle
>>
>>43856847
>>43856850

>Hey Moloch was the Winter Mantle made from Hres's feathers?

>That would be cruelty to animals!
But he might have a FEW bald spots...
>>
>>43856910
Still probably more feathers than he had after he got Archangel Michael'd.
>>
>>43856850
>>43856847
>>43856822

Passing the feathery cloak to Petra, you adjust your grip on Midnight's sheath and draw the blade free. The grip is made from the same soft, ink-black leather that the sheath is crafted from, and seems to fit your hand perfectly. Holding it, you close your eyes and focus on the end of the corridor. Your stomach lurches slightly as a tremendous sensation of movement grips you. When you open your eyes, a fraction of a second later, you find yourself standing in the corner of the corridor, with no lasting issues bar a slight dizziness.

So, this is the blade's power? Very good – you'll keep it.

“Careful with that thing,” Petra warns you as she clasps the feather cloak around her throat, “It's sharp.”

You've got a weapon capable of transporting you, instantaneously, through a short area of space - a weapon capable of casually violating the laws of physics – and she warns you about cutting yourself?

She's weird.

>I'll have to stop there for today. Next thread on Sunday, and I'll stay to answer any questions.

>First though, next session – Joseph or Cassandra, to start with?
>>
>>43857025
Thanks for the run boss.

>Joseph
>>
>>43857025
Thanks Moloch
>Joseph

Is Petra alright? I complete forgot about her previous killing spree of mindless drones last cycle like a dumbass. Though I guess that means I was playing in character for Mia well.
>>
>>43857025
>Joseph

Thanks for running Moloch.

What would have happened if we broke it apart?
>>
>>43857076
>Is Petra alright?

"Alright" is pretty relative, but she's not about to have a breakdown. It brought back some pretty bad memories but, at the end of the day, she wasn't killing humans this time around. Leaving her to brood alone, though, would have made things worse

>>43857100

The Kobolds would have attacked - in quite a frenzy! Also, Scathach wouldn't have been very happy. Bring back some pieces would have still scored a single reward though.
>>
>>43857025
Joseph for next time
>>
>>43857025
Next time Amelia sees Petra she is going to yell: 'What the hell did you do to my bird!?' huh?
>>
>>43857132
Were there any other solutions to the idol situation that you prepared for?
Did you expect votes for backstabbing the kobolds?
>>
>>43857226
One that I thought of after the backstabbing had already been done was using Lilim to charm all of them. Hindsight's 20/20, etc.
>>
>>43857222
She might have a few choice words for Petra, that's for sure!
>>43857226
I had the idea that Kin-Ki could have collapsed part of the chamber to trap seal the idol within. That way, nobody would be able to get it.
The backstabbing, I was not prepared for!
>>43857250
Interesting idea. I'm not sure if Lilim would have been able to handle 12 Kobolds at once. She's only little!
>>
>>43857295
>The backstabbing, I was not prepared for!
It was all that Dark/Demon Souls I played back in the day to blame for that one.
>>
File: 1445236130740.jpg (103 KB, 907x718) Image search: [Google]
1445236130740.jpg
103 KB, 907x718
>>43857309
>Dullahan rolls up to a kobold
>Stabs it right in the back
>Quickly rolls away from it
Heh
>>
>>43857374
She has a console set up in her Demon Summoning app room and has been binge playing on Petra's recommendation when she is off duty.
>>
>>43857438
>>43857309

She's still stuck on the Capra Demon!
She's in trouble if she ever has to fight Ose
>>
>>43857514
Ose doesn't have two dogs and a tiny boss room.

So what do you think of the pacing of the New Cycle? Seems a bit slower since we usually have three perspectives to go through but at the same time its cool to get those other perspectives/character thoughts.

I'm totally fine with it, but was curious to your thoughts.
>>
>>43857583

I've been a little uncertain about the pacing, actually. I've enjoyed having multiple perspectives running at once, but sometimes it's a little frustrating. I have some fairly large events planned and prepared for, but waiting for them to drop is getting to me.

I'm looking forwards to future events though!
>>
File: 1448316557070.gif (413 KB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
1448316557070.gif
413 KB, 300x166
>>43857633
>I'm looking forwards to future events though!
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.