[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would a game based on Australian Aboriginal mythology and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: aboriginal.jpg (188 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
aboriginal.jpg
188 KB, 1024x576
What would a game based on Australian Aboriginal mythology and history look like?
>>
>>43851691
>Call of Cthulhu
>Party is a group of friends on their way back from the footy match
>Never been to Perth before
>Get lost
>stumble down side streets
>come across a drunk abo passed out on the side of the road, mouth stained red with cheap wine
>party must pass this obstacle without getting stabbed
>If successful, they can become lvl 2 Cunts and go to the next footy match
>>
Frightening, probably.
I remember when I was a kid a lot of the "learn to read" books were based around aboriginal dreamtime stories. They were pretty wierd, and cool, and I feel sad when I think about how little interest it gets. Why do people care so much about the mythology of the northern hemisphere so much? It sucks.
>>
>>43851691
Weird as fuck. I'd be down for it
>>
File: Wandjina2.jpg (33 KB, 300x421) Image search: [Google]
Wandjina2.jpg
33 KB, 300x421
>>43851732
An addendum: I basically know shit all about it because I'm not an aboriginal, but I remember there being a lot of stuff based around explaining the world to kids and getting them not to run off into danger. Like, there was one about these really tall black silhouettes with white eyes that would mimic children's parents' voices in order to lure them into the outback and get them lost, which really stuck with me because I used to think I was hearing someone calling my name a lot when I was a kid.

I guess I should probably buy a book about the dream time or something. It's interesting.
>>
>>43851691
Australia is a pretty harsh place to live in, so a lot of the folklore contains harsh lessons necessary to survive. Romeo and Juliet stories don't work out. People out to impress girls get slaughtered. Heroes go through cruel and sometimes lethal trials to save their tribes. Gods kill tribes for one person's fuckup.

It's like Greek mythology, but the tenuous relationship with the land meant that screwing up in the same way as the stories would probably have a more mundane but similar result to the stories.
>>
File: yara.jpg (10 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
yara.jpg
10 KB, 181x279
>mfw reading about Yara-ma-yha-whos
>>
>>43851794
I love those little guys, they're just so delightfully strange.
>>
>>43851691

Lots of secrets and hidden mysteries. You'd cast spells with song and dance, and you couldn't throw a stick without hitting a spirit of some description. Dreamtime interaction in the vein of Glorantha.
>>
>>43851769
Wasn't the whole point of Romeo and Juliet to laugh at two impulsive teenagers that keep thinking with their hormones instead of head and end up paying the price for that?

I mean it's a story that's been romanticized in more recent times, but I think the originally intended message was pretty different.
>>
>>43851691
It'd look like Drugs.
>>
>>43851846
The only reason Romeo went for Juliet was that Rosaline didn't give a shit about him.
>>
>>43851801

They're not so delightful when you find out they're real.

>Newish suburban development, Melbournes' outer eastern suburbs
>used to be wetlands
>Kids constantly complaining that a "Red Man" is outside his window when we tuck him in around 8pm
>At first think it's a kidnapper
>Call Police they do their investigation find nothing
>Eventually Spring rolls around
>Nice night leave windows open
>Kid come crying into room complaining about nightmares
>wife lets him sleep with us
>Wake up to kid's horrified screaming
>Get up fast thinking it's a burglar but it's daylight at the time
>THERE'S SOMETHING NEXT TO THE BED
>MOTHERFUCKER'S 4FT TALL WITH RED SKIN AN ENGORGED HEAD AND MILKED OVER BEADY WHITE EYES
>WE MAKE EYE CONTACT AND IT BOLTS
>ATTEMPT PURSUIT BUT TOO SLOW OUTTA BED
>Do full sweep of house, garage, and yard, no sign of it
>Never see it again

The Wife didn't see it but I sure as hell fucking did.
Lock the doors at night and never leave windows open again.

That was roughly 20 years ago. It has haunted me since.
Son still remembers too.

Whenever new families move in we warn them with: "you gotta lock your doors and windows at night the druggies wander in from frankston/dandenong looking for places to rob."

Fuck these things.
>>
>>43851691
No bows, only woomeras and spears.
>>
>>43851708
Gis dollah bro gis dollah.
> sorry I don't have anything on me
Ahhh you fuckin white cunt you capn cook cunt fuck off
>>
>>43852175
>>Nice night leave windows open
>Leaving windows open
>In Australia

You dumb cunt what did you expect to happen? At least it was ONLY a mythical creature that preys on unsuspecting humans, and not something actually dangerous like an Abo.
>>
I'd recommend looking into quinkan myths and legends, definitely among the more game-worthy aspects of Australiana.
>>
File: fc,550x550,white.jpg (37 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,white.jpg
37 KB, 550x550
>>43851691
Basically this entire show
>>
>>43851691
Mountain sized, baby eating, ghost dingo.
I'm not even making that one up.
>>
Aboriginal mythology and art are pretty awesome, but I feel like it would be difficult for Westerners to play pre-colonial abbo characters. Sedentary peoples like us really don't know the first thing about the daily machinations of nomadic hunter-gatherers, and for autists like me the suspension of disbelief which any game predicates on would get kinda vitiated.
>>
>>43852242
https://youtu.be/7WwLT32_VAk

>You get a new tattoo Nolsy?
>yeyeyeyeye fuck cops. got it cross me chest.
>>
File: sticker,375x360.u2.jpg (33 KB, 375x360) Image search: [Google]
sticker,375x360.u2.jpg
33 KB, 375x360
>>43852257
>mountain sized

>or island sized?
>>
File: Tiddalik_810x540_show.jpg (57 KB, 552x368) Image search: [Google]
Tiddalik_810x540_show.jpg
57 KB, 552x368
Ever wonder why Australia is nothing but dry, empty landscape?

Tiddalik drank all the water.
>>
>>43852285
Ah yes, Tiddalik, that greedy cunt.
>>
>>43852285
>Ever wonder why Australia is nothing but dry, empty landscape?

Because Abos literally burned the rainforest that spanned the entire continent?
>>
>>43852285

Yeah, but didn't Crow trick him into barfing it all back up?
>>
>>43852285
We should eat him
>>
>>43851691
Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3QoPOqzOE0
>>
>>43852257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKyJdAsrj4
Here we go. Though when I heard it originally, the Dingo was used to eat babies to bully the tribes and it was a ghost or made of smoke, can't quite remember.
>>
>>43852293
Wait, there was a rainforest spanning the entirety of the continent? I thought the deserts are only there because of low rainfall and high temperatures?
>>
>>43852297
Eel does a silly dance, causing him to laugh up all the water.
>>
>>43852317
Australia used to have massive rainforests spanning vast tracks of land, though the Sandy, Simpson and a few other deserts have always been there.
The Aboriginals didn't burn it down though, Eucalyptus just grows faster and tends to ruin rainforest regrowth so just natural fires screwed it all up.

Then what was left along the coastline regions was then all cut down by the English so there's very little left. A fair few tree species have gone extinct because of them.

Now the logging companies are perpetually trying to convince the government that cutting down what is left is a great idea.
>>
>>43852285
Why do I get the feeling this is going to become some sort of weird water-inflation furry on deviantart?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.