[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LCG thread: Act 3 Discuss anything about your favorite LCG's,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: LCG_boxes-tile.jpg (267 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
LCG_boxes-tile.jpg
267 KB, 600x600
LCG thread: Act 3
Discuss anything about your favorite LCG's, news doubts whatever is fine for you.
The same as always Doomtown and Ashes are more than welcome.
>>
I think mage wars should be added.
>>
>>43847170
You know that is something that intrigues me. I mean what are the limits of the term LCG? what makes them one and what not?
>>
>>43846816
We need to add L5R into that picture, it's probably second best of the lot.
>>
>>43847494
It still isn't a L5R, not until 2017 right?

>>43847185
Just expandable card games that you get everything without having to buy boosters.
the new VS System falls under this too
>>
File: that_a_lot_of_damage_tokens.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
that_a_lot_of_damage_tokens.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>43847494
L5R is still a CCG until FFG decides to give the official information that it will become a LCG.

>>43847604
what's Vs system?
>>
File: pic2630832.jpg (32 KB, 446x365) Image search: [Google]
pic2630832.jpg
32 KB, 446x365
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178892/vs-system-2pcg
>>
>>43848194
They even called it an LCG for like a month until FFG threatened them.
>>43847754
Thought they did say it was going to be an lcg.
>>
>>43848194
>>43847754

Vs is so fucking good. I merely liked the original game, the new version, especially the addition of main characters makes it fantastic.
>>
>>43848194
>>43850298
Looks interesting for me. but the whole super theme kinda turns me off not because I don't like it, is because these kind of games tend to flavor Marvel a lot in comparison to other "comic houses"
>>
>>43847754
L5R is listed on FFG under the LCG category.
>>
>>43847754
I only played this one desu
>>
>>43850298
Vs is fucking terrible, a shadow of its former self.
>>
>>43850298
Really? I've seen mixed opinions, some people love they new version, others think it's inferior to the old one.
>>
>>43853666
>>43854096
Okay now I'm confused. Is Vs 2PCG is good or not?
>>
I've given up on buying lcgs whose core set does not come with as many copies of each card as you can put in a deck. Fuck buying several core sets.
>>
>>43854380
But anon that applies basically to almost all the LCGs. also I suppose you don't like not even a little aGoT 2.0 I'm right? (Fuck FFG and their brilliant idea of 3 required Cores)
>>
>>43854244
O P I N I O N S

Try it yourself, it's on OCTGN after all, you can play it for free...
>>
>>43854405
Correct, I've not played an LCG since Lord of the rings due to how fucked up the core set was.
>>
>>43854380
You and someone else with a core set could buy one together, so each of you get the cards you want?
>>
>>43854458
Or I could just wipe my arse with money.
>>
I'm thinking about getting Warhammer:Invasion

Two questions:
1. Should I?
2. Is it Oldhammer or Age of Nigmar?
>>
>>43854641
I would like to add that I have absolutely no prior experience with card games, other than having played a few online ones.
>>
>>43854507
Well, if you like to play magic the gathering, I suppose you could.
>>
>>43854725
I don't. I still play the Vampire: the Eternal Struggle card game with the cards i bought 20 years ago.
>>
>>43854641
>>43854715
Pls
>>
>>43854641
It came in 2009, what do you think? Have you not taken a look at the art? Done any research at all?
>>
>>43854970
>Done any research at all?

Nope.

Is it still getting updated or should I try A Game of Normies instead?
>>
>>43854380
Ashes and Summoner Wars always come with everything you need, though Wars has minimal deckbuilding and is more of a board game than card game.
>>
>>43854980
It's a fun game, for more, Google/wikipedia/fantasy flights own website on thé matter are your friends.
>>
>>43846816
Is the term Living Card Game copyrighted/owned by FFG or are they merely the ones who invented or popularized it?
>>
>>43855042
It is copyrighted. That's why doomtown is called Expandable cardgame etc.
>>
>>43854507
but where's the fun in that?

>>43854641
Don't try it anon. is dead.
>>
>>43855482
Okay, this brings me to the question:

Which fantasy LCG is better, GoT or LoTR?

LoTR has dorfs and seems to be alive, GoT is fun in it's own way as a setting and also seems to be alive.
>>
>>43855763
It depends on your needs.
you want a Co-op game based on Tolkien stories? LoTR
you want to stab your friends in the dick each turn in a "low" fantasy setting? aGoT
>>
>43855868
I think is the later one, I mean the packs not only try to follow the main story of the fellowship (and the Hobbit in some big packs).

something you might want to know is that the game can be played alone without trouble but for some quest-lines you WILL need friends.

why did you deleted your post?
>>
>>43855997
>why did you deleted your post?

I thought the game's heroes were characters created by FFG, not protagonists of already established LoTR lore. In that post I was talking as if I'd get to choose between Elfindor Genericus or Urist Tolin, not Gandalf or Bilbo.
>>
>>43856073
The LotRs expansions are about situations leading up to the events of the books, in fact.

How Saurman bred his pet Orcs and got the Dunlings to fight for him, how Gondor ended up as fucked as it did, things like that. The saga expansions are the ones that follow the main book stories, and are also some of the hardest expansions to be done. Helm's Deep is an absolute fucker.

I think every hero but a very few are named, at this point, though some of them are practically random names.

You do get some hilarious shit though. The latest limited expansion, Murder at the Prancing Pony, involves the heroes ended up in Bree and attempting to solve a murder there.

So the entire Rohan royal family, Dain Ironfoot and his entire dwarf army, and various Noldor and Silvans all showed up to try and solve this random ass murder(and got their asses absolutely kicked by the Bree underworld for a while).

So you can't take it too seriously.
>>
>>43856435
Theoretically, how long until it becomes dead like Warhammer: Invasion(Which sounds fucking dope but it's ded)?

They'll run out of lore eventually.
>>
>>43856462
They're essentially making their own shit up, as far as I know, so likely not for a while.

I don't know if whatever it is they're doing is considered canon in any way, myself, I just know that that's what their general focus of the story is. Essentially, each cycle has a loosely connected story that moves from expansion to expansion, starting with the big box of each set.
>>
>>43856462
Difficult to say. if they hit a point where FFG runs out of ideas or mechanics they can easily reboot it and keep milking it (as it happened with aGoT 1.0 -> 2.0), well is that and balance issues.
>>
It is worth noting that LotR is fucking fuck you hard.

When you start playing any of the "hard" decks, they will absolutely fucking destroy you, even if you feel like doing well. Almost every hard deck has a set of cards, that if coming up in the right order, are basically an instant game loss.

This is what's enjoyable about it(because most coop games get stupid easy after a few plays), but just be aware that this shit is dwarf fortress.
>>
>>43856517
>they can easily reboot it and keep milking it

Will they theoretically reboot WH:I?

I'm new to board games(I browse /tg/ more or less for lore) and being able to play a game where I build up a kingdom/fort of dorfs would be the shit.
>>
>>43856561
Sexcellent.

Do you think I'll be alright with the core and the big boxes of each cycle? or I MUST have certain small pack for certain card?
>>
>>43856596
>That was not me(>>43856585)
>There are multiple newfags getting into these card games
>Mfw no face

But I'm pretty sure that the developers stated that small packs are entirely optional, to answer your question.
>>
>>43856596
The game isn't competitive, so while there is a meta, it's not like you're required to do anything.

Deck synergy is the name of the game here, so it's more important that builds a deck that does something then it is building a deck that has all the right cards.

It's really a matter of what kind of deck you want to build. When you get into the hard scernarios, you'll really need to fine tune your decks, but even then, it's about hero choice and supporting what your hero does.

Honestly, the big thing is that the various quests all have their own unique ways of fucking you, so a deck that might be amazing for certain quests will just get it's ass destroyed by a different quest. Some heroes are just auto lose in certain quests as well, based on what they do.

Worth noting, however, that each small expansion comes with it's own quest to do, so you're not just buying more cards for deck building when you buy an expansion.
>>
>>43856585
We (I personally) don't know, aGoT was one of FFG first LCG and looking how broken it got it was necessary a reboot it.

another example is Call of Cthullu where the game received his death sentence by hands of FFG who decided to stop printing small packs and will only do big boxes (which is a massive red flag)

my point it that if the game is well received even after the game become a broken mess it will more likely to be rebooted for his sake, if not... well you can suppose the rest
>>
>>43856622
>Mfw no face
is that a good no-face or a bad no-face?

>>43856658
interesting I didn't know the small packs contained also quest missions.
what can you tell me about big boxes? I mean is just more from where to pick? (card, quests and a large etc)
>>
>>43848194
Oh look I didn't knew that Vs was rebooted. how frequently upper deck releases new packs?
>>
>>43856763
Big packs come with more cards and more heroes, but are also basically the opening of a story arc, and come with three quests. In general, the big boxes are where they also introduce new mechanics, and provide heroes that support those mechanics. The latest regular expansion, The Lost Realm, for example, is all about Dunedain shit, and about heroes and allies who get better the more enemies you're fighting at once.

In theory, you can sit down and play the quests in the specific order that they came out in, and with the provided fluff, will make a coherent story from start to end. This isn't required, and is basically just a little extra thing to do.
>>
At least we can all agree that Star Wars LCG is a turd, right?
>>
is there anyone who have played Ashes for tell me how it is? I mean how is the interaction between players and all the mumbo-jumbo?
>>
>>43854380
I think if FFG had it to do over, they'd probably make the core set "complete" or at least sell the inverse of it to 3x out the set.
That being said, doomtown is half of the max cards. kinda rough. However, in DT, you almost never put 4x a specific character in, you just want redundancy in actions and items because of uniqueness rules.
>>
>>43863329
Then how many cards are required for a "optimal" play? I'm asking because I have someone in another place trying to selling me 2 cores of DT for a decent price.
>>
>>43861036
The game feels really interesting. Sometimes you want to rush out and complete actions before your opponent, sometimes you're kinda filibustering so your opponent will commit resources before you. It's really interesting, BUT my main gripe with it is that the awesome meat of the game isn't in the premade decks. They're a little unbalanced, and some of the meta approaches are just free as fuck to the jaguar/burn deck. I think custom built decks with 3-4 schools of magic represented in your dice has a LOT more depth.

It's actually the main LCG i'm looking forward to expansions for. Doomtown is almost releasing shit a little fast for me, and Netrunner is just a solid staple I catch up on whenever I can.
>>
Waiting on Taking the Black to arrive at my FLGS, playing with deck ideas. Anyone have any thoughts?

House Tyrell / Banner of the Stag

Plots
1x A Clash of Kings (Core Set)
1x A Feast for Crows (Core Set)
1x A Game of Thrones (Core Set)
1x A Noble Cause (Core Set)
1x Confiscation (Core Set)
1x Marched to the Wall (Core Set)
1x Summons (Core Set)

Characters
2x Maester Cressen (Core Set)
1x Shireen Baratheon (Core Set)
3x Fiery Followers (Core Set)
2x Dragonstone Faithful (Core Set)
3x Margaery Tyrell (Core Set)
2x Paxter Redwyne (Core Set)
2x Randyll Tarly (Core Set)
2x The Knight of Flowers (Core Set)
3x Garden Caretaker (Core Set)
2x Olenna's Informant (Core Set)
3x Wardens of the Reach (Core Set)
2x Renly Baratheon (Taking the Black)
Locations
2x The Iron Throne (Core Set)
3x The Kingsroad (Core Set)
2x The Roseroad (Core Set)
2x Chamber of the Painted Table (Core Set)
2x Highgarden (Core Set)
2x The Mander (Core Set)
3x Rose Garden (Core Set)
1x Street of the Sisters (Taking the Black)
Attachments
3x Milk of the Poppy (Core Set)
1x Heartsbane (Core Set)
1x King Robert's Warhammer (Taking the Black)

Events
2x Superior Claim (Core Set)
2x Tears of Lys (Core Set)
2x Olenna's Cunning (Core Set)
3x "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" (Core Set)
2x Support of the People (Taking the Black)
>>
>>43863383
only 4 cards from the chapter pack?
care to tell me why? I mean what are you trying to achieve?
>>
>>43863428
Aiming to accumulate power quickly through renown (Loras/Randyll), multiple claim (Informants/Clash of Kings), and sleaze (Painted Table/Street of the Sisters/Superior Claim).

As to not using more of the new cards, I don;t really think they'd fit. I guess I could use Here to Serve for to search for Cressen, but that doesn't seem all that necessary, and for this build I don't think the economy is robust enough to support Arbor Knights and Pleasure Barges (I'd go Banner of the Lion to make use of those)
>>
>>43863381
>Sometimes you want to rush out and complete actions before your opponent,
Wait, so both have their turn at the same time? okay that's another layer of crazy.

also 3-4 schools of magic? I mean I still have the reference from MTG and their color scheme but that isn't a bit to much?
>>
>>43863563
in how many turns do you aspire to earn 15 power. and what are the main weakness you think the deck have?
>>
>>43863646
In my Coreset only deck, I usually hit 15 somewhere around Plot 5 (I have won on turn 4, but I've never had to go to Plot 7), so I'm hoping the new cards can assist in getting the Turn 4 more consistent (Mostly through Street of the Sisters and Support of the People to get the key cards out quickly).

The biggest weakness so far has been having the renown guys or Margaery knelt or played around (Baratheon, Filthy Accusations, Stealth). I have been able to play around it some games, but other times it shuts me out of having a chance.
>>
File: dicecards.jpg (79 KB, 600x362) Image search: [Google]
dicecards.jpg
79 KB, 600x362
>>43863583
In the game, you have a shared turn. you refresh(untap and reroll resources) at the same time, then you take turns taking actions (casting, attacking, using abilities, etc). Once both players pass consecutively, the round ends and you start a new turn.

Additionally, each school of magic (there are 4) has a special die type. Each d6 basically has 1 1 1 2 2 3 on it. Your faction-specific cards will either ask for a 2 or a 3 to cast them, and everything else just costs a certain amount of resource 1, which is common to all of the dice. Additionally, you can overspend any symbol as a random one, and as a side action (in addition to your normal action) you can spend either dice or a card, i can't recall which, and reroll as many of your dice as you want.

So for your "mana base," you start the game with 10 dice split however you want between the 4 schools. This means that you get max resources every turn, and also means that you can easily splash and don't have to worry about drawing into a specific resource. it's a pretty great system.
>>
>>43863360
You probably want two cores ultimately. you can build 4 "teaching" decks with one core and have the other to deckbuild, or you can have 4x a lot of the staple actions/items from the core set.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 304x419) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 304x419
So is agot 2nd edition going to follow the plot and characterizations of the tv show or the book?
>>
>>43854744

I heard that game is awesome. How hard would it be to get into now with 4-5 people?

I played m:tg but I'm no even interested in getting into it again because of power creep and imbalances.
>>
>>43867624
>>43867624
So far it seems to be using the books mostly. Syrio is a big nosed white guy in the retaken featuring him, Joffrey has long hair, Daenerys is bald in the artwork for Fire and Blood, Asha is named Asha, etc.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.