[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tide of Ages Quest Pt.9
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 13
File: Stone spearhead 1.jpg (35 KB, 372x407) Image search: [Google]
Stone spearhead 1.jpg
35 KB, 372x407
Happy Thanksgiving edition!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Line_of_Heroes
Archives: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Tide%20of%20Ages

For a moment, you stand frozen. Without your spear, shivering in un-fitted furs, you are as vulnerable as a fawn. A fawn... The sudden realisation that the pack has closed in on where your infant daughter is fills you with a burning energy that shatters your fear like brittle ice before a hatchet! The fiery clarity also lets you see something else... This wolf is not the one you fought before. Its coat is newer, bereft of scars, its body younger, leaner and stronger. But its eyes are the same, caught between a beast's mute instinct and a human's wit.

As you go to shout, to yell for help, the wolf calmly walks towards you. It skirts the edges of glowing circles of firelight, never flinching or hesitating and never breaking eye-contact. Soon it stands before you, its head nearly equal with yours... And it passes you by. It just looks away and walks right past you, close enough for you to feel the heat of its body. "I like this coat," it says, snarling through its teeth, but with much more intelligence than the last time, "You can have that old one. I keep this one though." It sniffs, still standing by your side. "You have pup. Good. Hope your pack is strong." Its tail idly swishes from side to side, sweeping at the peaks of the snow. "I watch your pup. Not hunt, but watch. Human pup will be interesting." You fight the urge to reach for your knife, instinct screaming at you to protect your child, as the wolf lets out a horrid sound, as if it's trying to mimic laughter, walking away and leaving you alone in the snow.
>>
Hurr durr apparently I forgot my own name...
>>43845205
It takes a solid effort to control your legs as you make your way back to your family's bivouac. Once there, your fears are dispelled a little. Beren is safe. Sera is safe. No-one in your family even saw the white wolf, its coat hiding it against the snow, beyond the illumination of the fires. You decide not to mention its appearance to anyone. Winter is a bad time already. The last thing that is needed is you telling stories about wolves that return from the dead...

Beren however, is not fooled by your silence. She passes you Sera, after she's done feeding. The small child sucks her thumb as she falls asleep, swaddled in furs and held against your chest. "Something is worrying your mind, Trym," Beren says, staring intensely at you. "You're going to tell me what it is."
"I will not though," you respond, gently rocking your daughter as she dreams.
"You will," Beren nods, decisively. "Maybe not right now, but you'll tell me. You'll tell me because you know full well that I will not be satisfied until you do. You know that I will pull it out of you sooner or later, like a crow pulls a snail from its shell. And you know that when I know what worries you, my man who gave me this cloak, who gave me that child, I will find some way of knowing what to do. If it is your work, I will press that spear into your hands and tell you to straighten your spine. If it is my work, I will dig in my nails and twist. But you also know the longer you make me wait to know, the more I'll make you pay once what worries you has passed." She kisses your cheek as you sit there, stunned. Somehow your woman worries you more than the wolf does, in her own way...
>>
>>43845215
What will you do?
>Share your worries with your wife. She may have a better insight than you
>Take your spear and hunt down the wolf. If you slew it once, you can do it again
>Go looking for the wolf and try to talk to it. It seems it's not interested in hunting you now, so maybe it'll listen?
>Let it be. If it wanted you dead, it could have killed you where you stood
>Other
>>
>>43845215
>>
>>43845240
>>Share your worries with your wife. She may have a better insight than you
>>
>>43845240
>>Share your worries with your wife. She may have a better insight than you
>>
Holy crap, there's actually people here after all!

Okay, I'd better write something then. Votes called.
>>
>>43846104
I blame food coma. And not checking twatter.
>>
>>43845240
>>
File: wolf2.jpg (256 KB, 1023x766) Image search: [Google]
wolf2.jpg
256 KB, 1023x766
>>43846145
Oh yeah forgot it's turkey day in the states. I'm amazed there's as many of you here as there is

You look soberly at the cloak. The way Beren drew attention to it makes you think she might already half-guess what plagues your mine. "The wolf has returned," you tell her quietly, looking down to where an sleeping Sera has clasped your finger with all the strength of her tiny hand.
"The wolf?" Beren asks, her brows forming a sharp V as she frowns. "The one who's fur you gave me? I'm certain it's dead though, unless it can somehow walk without its head?" She nods to the skull, still stored in a bag away from sight and jealous hands.
"No, it's definitely him," you sigh, "He has his head again and a new coat and fangs, claws and strength too."
"How can you be sure?" Beren asks. "It could well have been another white wolf that you saw?" She takes everything you say so seriously, picking at it as thoroughly as a crow picks clean bones.
"Because I've never seen a wolf that big before," you reply and drop your voice. "And there's something else I've never told anyone. Elia will tell you as well, if you let him know I spoke first; the wolf that I fought spoke. It was crude and snarled, but it spoke like a human. This wolf spoke as well and spoke of me killing it. It said it would watch Sera; that she would be 'interesting'."

Beren's eyes widen a little incredulously, but she slowly digests what you've said and nods. "Then we will have to watch Sera even closer. If the wolf is plotting revenge, we will protect her. If it simply wants to watch, we will stay out of one another's way. If it protects her, so much the better." She strokes your daughter's head and her expression softens. "She will have to grow up strong. Already strange things are interested in her... I am a little scared."
>>
>>43846611
The moment of weakness, that admittance of fear from your normally stoic woman, cuts deeper than any other thought save your fears for Sera's safety and you pull her close to you, holding the two most important people in your world close against your chest.

What will you do?
>Follow Beren's advice and simply be vigilant. She probably has the right of it; she often does.
>Go out and hunt down the wolf. You won't take the risk; this is for Sera's safety!
>Try to speak with the wolf. The more you know, the more you can plan for.
>Other
>>
>>43846620
>Try to speak with the wolf. The more you know, the more you can plan for.
>>
>>43846620
>>Follow Beren's advice and simply be vigilant. She probably has the right of it; she often does.
If the wolf wants to talk talk.
>>
>>43846620
>>Follow Beren's advice and simply be vigilant. She probably has the right of it; she often does.
it'll come to us if it needs to.
>>
>>43846620
>>Try to speak with the wolf. The more you know, the more you can plan for.

RWB is ded
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>43847021
Not even close. I was waiting on you yahoos.

Rolling to break the tie!
>1 = Follow Beren's advice
>2 = Try to have a friendly chit-chat with the big bad wolf
>>
>>43847097
that's definitely a 2 fyi
>>
>>43847097
still dead
>>
Beren's advice is sound and what did you tell her for, if not to heed her advice when it's given? You decide to stay close to the camp however, keeping your eyes warily on the treeline and the ridges of the hills as often as you can. Some of the others notice your wariness and occasionally talk about how you seem jumpy. It doesn't help much with the increasing tension in the camp. You're unconcerned however, determined to keep Beren and Sera safe. Your daughter is too young to even think about growing stronger to defend herself, so it will be up to you, until she is old enough to learn how to use a spear. A woman may never be QUITE the equal of a hunting man, but she can still be surprisingly dangerous, should she need to be.

It is now late winter. You still have enough food to keep you and Beren until spring, even with your woman joking that she'll have to eat extra to make up for Sera's appetite!

What will you do?
>Fish in the river 3d10+3 (Skill +Fisher +Trait)
>Climb the rapids to the waterfall
>Explore down the valley
>Explore the hills
>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants
>Try and investigate something else
>Make something special
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>Change your active jobs and examine your inventory (free)
>>
>>43847607
>>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
Let's talk to Paku. Since we have 2 Speed, let's also
>>
>>43847607
>>
Rolled 7, 9 = 16 (2d10)

>>43847607
>>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants
%>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>>
>>43847607
>>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants
>>
>>43847607
dead
>>
File: im-not-dead-yet.jpg (33 KB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
im-not-dead-yet.jpg
33 KB, 500x293
One of these damn days, I'm going to remember to tell you guys to roll 1d10 (Wits) for your research... One of these days...

>>43847631
Speed is a measure of reaction time and twitch reflexes, I'm afraid, not of how much you can get done over a time period like half a season.

>>43847920
Are you trying to tell me something, Anon? You seem awfully keen on declaring me an ex-questfag...
>>
Rolled 5 (1d10)

>>43847976
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>43847976
I thought it was 2d10 due to us having craftsmen?
>>
>>43847607
>>
Rolled 5 (1d10)

>>43847976
>>
>>43848008
>>43847976
This anon makes a good point.
>>
>>43848008
oh god
sleepy pls
>>
>>43848027
I know. I was rolling pretty boss in Fathers quest.
>>
>>43848026
>>43848008
Craftsman only applies to tech that a craftsman could turn his hand to. If you were, say for example, researching pottery or construction, you would benefit from Craftsman, but agriculture's a whole other ballgame. Make sense?

Sold to the fives by the way. Writing.
>>
>>43848073
So if, for example, we had something like a gatherers skill, that would help us with this?
>>
>>43848073
Oh okay. So this next class will give us levels in some other shit, like Farmer or Druid, then? Sounds legit to me.

Wonder when we'll gain access to Warrior or some shit.
>>
>>43848101
Precisely. But you guys never went innawoods for that sort of thing, so you're kind of trying to fix your plumbing with a woodworker's toolbox here.

>>43848103
You'd need to fight something other than animals if you want to train to be a warrior, son.

And while having lots of skills is good, once you get to six and over, one of them becomes locked PERMANENTLY. Some skills are things you don't want people finding out about too. Just something to keep in mind.
>>
>>43848204
>43848204
I think I'm spoiled by QMs who manage to post within like twnety minutes after votes close lmao
>>
There's not much to do in the winter, so even with your constant vigilance keeping your mind occupied, you find yourself pondering your pet project. It's the uttermost depths of winter. Somehow, the plants must survive well enough to produce new shoots in the spring, but now? The answer comes to you slowly, as you watch the snow pile up on top of the lean-to against the side of the overhang your family uses for shelter. You'll have to brush it off soon, but why doesn't it freeze you all solid, even when the fire is low and weak? Could it be that the snow, chill and biting as it is, acts almost like a blanket? Could that be how it protects the young plants from last year? But where do those young plants come from? You wrack your brains and start to come up with a theory, but it'll have to wait until the snow melts to test it. Besides, your mind is needed elsewhere. The wolf is one thing, but there's another problem that's arisen among the clan.

Sila and Izel, a man and woman from another family in the clan, have attacked an elder.

The first you're aware of it is the sounds of a brawl from another of the shelters, then an angry shouting that is stopped by the arrival of many more of the elders and curious men and women poking their heads out into the cold. Several strong men hold down the struggling, swarthy figure of Sila, while two more have to pin the arms and legs of his frantic woman. Another of the women from Sila's family helps press dried moss to a gash on the back of one of the elders foreheads.
>>
>>43848531
An impromptu meeting is held and the truth is laboriously dragged from the involved parties and witnesses. It seems after the meal, the elder, Grandfather Alkis, was still hungry and asked for more. Sila was insulting and claimed that young men and hunters like himself needed the family's limited food more than an old man with few years left to him. Alkis argued angrily and got a little too close to Sila, causing Izel to strike him across the cheek at spit at him to sit down. Alkis struck back on instinct, but his actions enraged Sila, as he and Izel were bonded. He swung his fist at Grandfather Alkis's jaw and knocked him down, where he hit his head upon a stone. It is thought he will live, but the cut is bad.

Sila is angry at the elders gathering to pass judgement on his actions. He claims that Alkis has done nothing useful for the clan for many years, despite being a Grandfather and that his actions were justified by Alkis's selfishness and hitting Izel (who it might be added, had to be hauled off Alkis's prone form and held back from beating him). Further, he says that as he is part of Mesut's hunter band, he should be given leeway, as his actions help feed a large part of the clan.

Eventually, after much discussion, the elders say that Sila's attack on Alkis broke the harmony of the clan and that he must leave. There's a few mutterings that such a punishment is light for his actions and many MORE saying that it is too harsh! Most of those leaning for leniency however, you recognise as part of Mesut's ever-growing band. Regardless, the Elders say that Sila and Izel must leave the clan at once, taking only what they can carry and never return.
>>
>>43848635
What will you do?
>Accept the elders judgement. It's fair and offends no-one too much
>Call for mercy - Sila acted in anger and should not be cast out for his mistake! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>Oppose the ruling. Sila was right to defend his woman and his actions grant the tribe more than one grandfather's worth! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>Call for harsher punishment. Attacking an elder attacks the whole tribe! He should not be able to take anything with him! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)

I will count the votes after I wake up and hopefully, continue then. It's about 5am here presently... If the thread dies in the meantime, the next will be on Monday at 4pm Eastern and hopefully this time I'll remember to check the time!

Everyone please stay safe in the meantime.
>>
Rolled 7, 1, 7, 2 = 17 (4d10)

>>43848670
>>Call for mercy - Sila acted in anger and should not be cast out for his mistake! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>>
Rolled 10, 3, 5, 2 = 20 (4d10)

>>43848670
>>Call for mercy - Sila acted in anger and should not be cast out for his mistake! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>>
Rolled 8, 5, 3, 1 = 17 (4d10)

>>43848670
>Call for mercy - Sila acted in anger and should not be cast out for his mistake! 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>>
>>43848635
>Alkis
means (a) drunk in my tounge
>>
So when do you guys want to start working on making childbirth much easier on the women? Considering Beren almost died brining Sera into the world.
>>
>>43851107
>SleepyAnon
RIP Whiskey. You're in every quest I've read so far.
>>
>>43851201
Please man I'm still not over that! As for being in the same quests maybe we just like the same things?
>>
>>43851201
>>43851208
>RIP Whiskey
He'll be back sooner or later. At least that's what I'm hoping for. I don't think he'll pick up RCQ ever again though..
>>
>>43850350
Purely a co-incidence. I honestly picked a random name out of a list.

Seeing the anger rising in the clan, you approach the Elders and try to reason with them. Alkis was hurt to be sure, but not badly so and Sila acted out of anger. His hot temper is a problem certainly, but not something that should end him up being banished for! Privately, you're hopeful that maybe by showing mercy, the anger against the punishment resonating among your kin can cooled. Sadly however, your words fall on deaf ears. The Elders listen, but seeing the upswelling of conflict, they see your calls for mercy as questioning the authority they hold as your grandfathers and grandmothers and siding with the firebrands behind you. Your calls for mercy are ignored and Sila and Izel are banished from the clan.

As they pack to leave, four others - three men and a woman, grab their belongings as well and declare that they will walk out with the two criminals. Their families and the elders try and convince them to stay, but their words only serve to fan the flames and words are exchanged that cannot be unspoken. Sila and Izet leave just after noon, shouting with their companions that the elders will regret their judgement.
>>
>>43851454
It is a somber group that winds its way back down the valley to the summer camping grounds. The Banished's words hang on everyone's mind.

It is now early spring. Your family has weathered the winter well and has not gone hungry, but now you are out of food and will have to go hungry, unless you do something about it.

What will you do?
>Hunt in the forest 2d10 (Speed)
>Explore the forest (gather plants too)
>Explore up the valley
>Explore down the valley
>Explore the hills
>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants 1d10 (Wits)
>Try and investigate something new
>Make something special
>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them (free)
>>
>>43851498
I really want to give that amulet to the fish lady.
>>
Rolled 10, 5, 6, 7 = 28 (4d10)

>>43851498
>>Change your active jobs and examine your inventory (free)
to hunter
HUNT!

We need to talk about the future now, before it is too late.
I smell all kinds of power struggles.
internal; strength vs. age
external; new tribe vs us
combo; the expelled will join with the new tribe and rape us all.

what do we want to do? should we join one of the factions?
should we try and mend relations?
diplo may be hard since we have had troubles with the new clan, and we just now screwed our standing with the elders....
>>
Rolled 10, 6, 2 + 3 = 21 (3d10 + 3)

>>43851516
and of course I forget to roll
>>
Rolled 1, 10, 7, 1 = 19 (4d10)

>>43851498
Change job to hunter and hunt.
>>
>>43851523
I think there will be war regardless of what we do. Let's bring our family and Elia(and, maybe his bitchy bitch) to Myslik and his tribe.
Even though we might have some trouble with the guy who tied up Beren, our relation with Myslik might be enough to be allowed to stay with them.

Screw the elders, they laugh at our supernatural experiences, and they don't respect our opinion in this last conflict either.

If Myslik and his tribe is reluctant to take us in, let's just bring they people who like and trust us(if any), and stay separate until the inevitable conflict over land has resolved itself.

Maybe we will be able to pick up the pieces after the others have slugged it out.
>>
>>43851603
The elders are around for a reason. Oral tradition is the only method of conveying our history and knowledge and should be allowed to use their experience to make decisions. Their risk averse ways are useful in a world where a bad winter and poor timing of moving the camp can kill the entire tribe.
>>
>>43851638
I understand your argument. But even as the world cycles the seasons again and again, sometimes it suddenly changes.
>A new tribe appears
>food get scarce
>animals talk
>leaves of silver
>fish-lady-fish
I think change is here, and not the good kind.
I do not want for our family to suffer.

If you mean the way of the elders are the right, maybe you can come up with a plan to solidify their authority and defuse the tensions in our valley.
>>
>>43851498
>examine your inventory (free)
friendly reminder
>>
You're still worried the wolf is lurking and waiting, watching your small family. You glimpsed him once or twice on your path down the valley; always at a distance, yellow eyes tracking you and yours, sometimes alone and sometimes with other wolves. For a while, you're concerned about what will happen when you are out in the forest alone, so you drag Elia away from trying to impress Galit and grab your spear, deciding that maybe he'll be some help. You're actually a little impressed he's held her attention this long without another gift, but it still looks like she's starting to expect more from him. She still wears the necklace he made, but has been spotted spending time with Mesut as well...

Your hunt is actually wildly successful! Between the two of you and not a little luck, you and Elia are able to bring back enough food to not only keep you and Beren fed until the middle of summer, but even make Elia look good!
"So much for Weak-Spear!" he laughs. "I may still be, but from now on you can call me swift-stone!"
"And it's a good stone too," chuckles an unexpected voice. Instantly, you and Elia are on guard, but you both relax a little as Mesut's impressively strong form emerges from the bushes. He's astonishingly quiet for such a big man. He casts a look over your impressive haul and whistles. "Hope you left some for the rest of us, Trym. You and your band-" he glances at Elia and shrugs, apparently deciding that one person makes a band after all, "-might start to make mine look bad!" For a man at the centre of so much trouble, Mesut's friendly, confident and handsome, wearing his jacket open enough to show off his chest, even here in the forest; long, dark-brown hair and a short beard. He always wears a stone around his neck, a worked hide strip pushed through the hole in the centre. He apparently found it as a child and kept it on him ever since. "You're heading back?" he asks. "We only got out here yesterday."
>>
>>43851809
"We?" you inquire.
Mesut shrugs, pointing a thumb over his shoulder and resting on his spear. "The others are out there somewhere. We fan out, find a herd, then close up and chase it into one another's spears. Works well, but you need a few hunters for it!" He demonstrates by curling his hand around something imaginary and smacking the fist into his opposite palm with a smile. "Much more fun than stalking for days on end too! You should join us some time!"
"I already have my band," you point out, but Mesut waves your worries aside.
"That's fine, that's fine. I know Paku's been harassing you to join us, but really, if you want to stay with Elia, that's your choice to make. Have to stay true with your band after all." He straightens up and smiles. "And I should get back to mine. You two watch yourselves, okay? Things are getting dangerous." Mesut waves casually, as he fades back into the forest, a cloak made from woven grass and covered in moss, leaves and branches making him look like a moving mound of vegetation before he vanishes from view.

It is now late spring. You have plenty of food to see both you and Beren to the middle of summer. Any more in your last hunt and you wouldn't have been able to keep it all!

In further good news, your ribs have finally stopped hurting. It seems the warm spring air after winter has done them good.

What will you do?
>Hunt in the forest 4d10 (Speed +Hunter)
>Fish in the river 1d10+3 (Skill +Trait)
>Explore the forest (gather plants too)
>Explore up the valley
>Explore down the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>>
Sorry for the delay. Capcha decided it hated me.
>>43851774
Trym
Jobs: Hunter 2 Craftsman 2 Leader 2
Inactive: Fisher 1
Injuries: Cracked ribs -1 Strength

Strength: 2/1
Speed: 2
Skill: 1
Spirit: 0
Wits: 1
Charisma: 2
Traits:
Experienced Fisher: Gain a +3 to any attempt at fishing and a +1 to resist the effects of negative events while fishing

Equipment: 4 javelins
Flint fishing spear
Flint knife
Flint spear
Buckskin loincloth
Goatskin jacket
Sling
Wolf-claw knife

Belongings:
Two white leaves
A few great wolf’s teeth
Great wolf’s head
Wolf-tooth necklace
A small empowered geode
>>
>>43851840

>Travel to Myslik's tribe, sneakily try and figure out if they harbour ill intentions towards us. Also try and find out if the expelled from our tribe have joined them, or if there has been any contact between them.
Bring wolf-tooth necklace as gift/bribe
>>
>>43851840
>>Make something special
>>Talk to the Elders and try to figure out why they reacted that harshly
>>See what the mood of the clan is like, talk to people and get to know them
Use some teeth and make a necklace for Sera.
>>
>>43851864
>>43852339
that necklace was supposed to be our gift to the lady fish!
>>
>>43852339
sorry didn't mean to include you in that.
>>
>>43852395
Haha. No worries mate I ain't angry. But yeah we do need to visit fish lady. Let's name her Undine!
>>
>>43852388
I know, but today is a new day.
>>
>>43851840
>>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants 1d10 (Wits)
We need to test our theory
>>
>>43851840
>Travel to the other tribe
>Try to copy their tents, or modify and make our own design, since we do not have mammoth bones or whatever they made theirs out of.

this should be easier than plant taming, since we have craftsman levels
>>
I'm still not dead. I would have posted an update already, but there's no real consensus...
>>
>>43852528
We're already in the midst of taming plants though, and we have a family to look after and feed. We can't just take a whole season (or worse two) to go screw around in a different tribe. Also, there is someone who probably hates us over there, and if he was fine with binding and gagging a woman, I don't want to think about what he would atleast attempt to do to us.
>>
>>43852488
fuck it seconding this
>>
>>43852712
>>43852746
samefagging intensifies
>>
>>43851843
>>43851840
Work on the plant shit. We need to essentially dedicate ourselves to this if we're going to make any tangible progress, and now is the perfect time for it.
>>
>>43851840
seconding >>43852528
combine with this if possible>>43851864
>>
Now it's the spring, you have a chance to observe the world as it wakes from its winter sleep. You're convinced now that it IS a sleep, not a death. The young shoots and saplings of plants particularly fascinate you and you watch them struggle to grow over weeks, watching as they develop the signs that let you know which will bear nut and berry later. That's the secret perhaps, to take them away when they're young? But will they even survive being pulled up? And where do the saplings themselves come frooo- is that a sapling growing out of a burst-open nut what. Okay, your head is starting to hurt.

In between staring intently at tiny plants (well out of sight of the clan, lest they think you've lost ALL of your sense), you have a chance to get a feel for the clan, mostly through Beren and Elia. Everyone is increasingly divided. More and more either look to Mesut for leadership, or just are easily ordered what to do. There's been more arguments too, as people resent having to see to the Elders needs and give them the best positions by the fire; the softest meat; the warmest furs at night. Granted, the Elders NEED much of that, or they start complaining of aching bones and backs, but Mesut's band most of all is starting to resent it. Sila was one of them too and his banishment has turned resentment to outright anger!

The Elders STILL refuse to make a decision regarding the strangers and it's now abundantly clear to everyone that the herds are thinning; the valley cannot support so many newcomers. Finally, Mesut steps up and proposes a show of force, to push the strangers out. They won't stay if their homes and spears are broken (and probably a couple of bones too, going by the roar that greets his suggestion)! The Elders are not consulted, but soon show up anyway, as Mesut incites the clan. It's you or them, he points out and you were here first!
>>
>>43852837
That wasn't me.
>>
>>43853045
Shit, RWB, can we interject?

I have a write-in for right now if we could.
>>
>>43853045
The Elders argue, but Mesut's supporters shout them down. You didn't realise it but almost a third of the clan directly supports him, with many more just going along with the group. Only about a quarter of your clan stands with the Elders. As the argument grows louder, with some of the younger members of both groups pushing and shoving at one another, Paku catches sight of you among the few outliers who are trying to stay out of things, or who have not yet chosen a side. He waves to you and runs over, excitement written on his face. "See, brother? It's about time something finally got DONE around here! The Elders would have us all sit on our hands until we starve. You're with us, right? Come on, you don't want to see Beren and Sera go hungry, do you?"

Just as he makes his point, Grandfather Akyon hobbles over. He spoke with you last fall about Beren's pregnancy and has always had your back, being one of the younger elders and more open-minded about things like your sling idea (even if he only considered it a child's toy, he still thought it was worthwhile to amuse his grandchildren). "Trym," he begs you, "Level heads have always lead our tribe safely, the same way our grandfathers have always done. I beg you, listen to reason; Mesut's strong, yes, but he's a hothead! The strangers out-number us by far and angering them could lead to much hurt for the clan."
"So you'd rather we just die, weak and starving while the strangers eat the herds we've followed for generations?" snaps Paku, "Brother, come on, you know Mesut's the only one making sense around here!"

A few of the non-committed look to you. Your influence isn't great, but your choice may sway a small handful one way or the other.

What do you do?
>Side with Mesut
>Side with the Elders
>Try to reconcile the two factions 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
>Wash your hands of this mess. Take your woman and daughter and leave
>Other
>>
>>43853100
just post it
maybe you will be able to make the anons here think a bit more than I did earlier
>>
>>43853141
>Wash your hands of this mess. Take your woman and daughter and leave
Bring Elia too
>>43851603
>>
Rolled 9, 10, 10, 10 = 39 (4d10)

>>43853141
>>Try to reconcile the two factions 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
Throw it up it may help with the dc.
>>
>>43853175
Trym master of getting people to shut the fuck up and stop arguing. Is that enough for a trait RWB? Cuase one away from a perfect 40.
>>
Rolled 8, 7, 9, 7 = 31 (4d10)

>>43853141
>>Try to reconcile the two factions 4d10 (Charisma +Leader)
"Both of you are being foolish. Mesut, you think rashly, and without forethought; elders, you are too set in your ways for what may well be a time of upheaval in our society. Now, you all know I have many friends in this new tribe, and you all know that I've explored much of this valley -- and some of what lies beyond it, too. I have discovered great plains of flowers and grass -- and herds of Auroch larger than any of you could imagine! If we relocate our tribe there, we will have a better, easier time -- not only feeding ourselves, and our family, but the winters will be less harsh there, too. Now, should we continue to bicker meaninglessly, like children, and harm people who've done us no serious harm, or should better things for those around us and those who come after us?"

>>43853175
hooooly fucking shit
>>
>>43853200
Oh shit wait, adding onto this as like an afterword, after gauging the general reaction to our speech,

"Mesut. I know how you and your band hunt. If I guide you and yours there, I am more than certain that we -- me, Elias, and your band -- could hunt as many auroch as we need in a day."
>>
>>43853200
Yeah I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I thought no way that's a 9,10,10,10 not 9,1,1,1.
>>
>>43853227
I, uh. I'm pretty confident in saying that, with the write-in and your fucking miraculous roll, we've definitely persuaded the elders and Mesut to shut the fuck up and follow us along before resorting to brasher action.
>>
>>43853261
Yeah probably. Just need to wait for Britfag to post. But my god I don't think imma be Rollin again too soon.
>>
File: Shocked orc.png (109 KB, 310x294) Image search: [Google]
Shocked orc.png
109 KB, 310x294
>>43853175
Holy SHIT.

I threw that option in as a red herring, guys! I didn't expect any of you to actually make the roll! That was difficulty 38!

Dude, can you hug me? I need some of that luck over here!

Well so much for my plans for a split and everything. Looks like you guys just put the clan (and Trym with it) on board the gravy train to the land of milk and beef! No honey though; you've not discovered apiary yet.
>>
>>43853327
w-what bonuses do we get, senpai-san?
>>
File: twat.jpg (20 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
twat.jpg
20 KB, 500x321
>>43853175
djises...
that roll will shut me the fug up with all my talk of war and leaving the tribe
>>
File: image.png (12 KB, 386x378) Image search: [Google]
image.png
12 KB, 386x378
>>43853327
I can't exactly fly out there but will an Internet bro hug be okay?
>>
"Both of you are being foolish," you sigh. It's just a moment, but you know somehow exactly what you need to do. Beren looks at you in shock, as you stride forward, push your way through the crowd, put two fingers in your mouth and give the most piercing whistle anyone present has ever heard (though one of the Elders still cups a hand to his ear and goes "Eh?"). "You're ALL being foolish!" you say again, this time louder. You turn and point a finger at Mesut. " Mesut, you think rashly, and without forethought. You're going to get people killed! I know the strangers and they are not the kind to just leave after a little confrontation. They'd WELCOME it and drive US out!" Before he can retort, you round on the elders, jabbing an accusing finger at them, as the whole clan looks on, slack-jawed. "And YOU are too set in your ways for what may well be a time of upheaval and change! Our grandfathers grandfathers never had to deal with something like this, so we can't ask what they would do! But I can see what we need to do.
"I've explored much of this valley -- and some of what lies beyond it, too. I have discovered great plains of flowers and grass -- and herds of aurochs larger than any of you could imagine! There is plenty there to feed us there for generations, even with the strangers! Mesut. I know how you and your band hunt. If I guide you and yours there, I am more than certain that we -- me, Elia, and your band -- could hunt as many aurochs as we need in a single day."

You fold your arms and look sternly at the tribe. Everyone, from the most venerable (and deaf) Elder, to the youngest child, is staring at you in rapt attention. "Now, should we continue to bicker meaninglessly, like children, and attack people who've done us no serious harm? I and Beren have been hurt more than anyone by their actions and I say no. Or should better things for those around us and those who come after us?"
>>
>>43853534
Dam Son.
if that isn't worth a point in leadership I don't know what is.
>>
>>43853571
Nah that shit is worth a point in Charisma and a rank in Leader.
>>
>>43853534
The clan is silent for a moment. The late afternoon sun shines down on you all, bringing sweat to skin, even as the babble of the nearby stream and the soft caress of the wind brushes away the anger of minutes before. Then a single voice, soon joined by another, then another and then another, starts up a low chant. "Trym. Trym. Tyrm! Trym! Trym!" It rises until the entire clan shouts your name, stamping and slamming spears on the ground in time with the beat. "Trym! TRYM! TRYM! TRYM! TRYM!!" It seems they approve. More than that, you have an odd feeling that you've just made history; the kind of history that will be remembered as long as your clan lives to tell the story!

After the cheering and celebration is done and the tribe has dispersed, talking excitedly about the coming future, you find Beren, your limbs shaking with excitement. She's apparently handed Sera to another woman, as she is empty-handed as she comes to your arms, fiercely kissing you and gripping a hand in your hair. "I chose a GOOD man," she pants, after her mouth finally leaves yours, a possessive and wanting purr in her voice.

Your supreme gift for persuasion has earned you a point of Charisma!

Your skill and luck has earned you a level in the Leader class!
>>
>>43853621
>[Worried Laughter]
This... Can only be a good thing from Beren, right?
>>
>>43853633
She wants to make another baby.
>>
>>43853633
I'm pretty sure there's going to be a lot more feminine eyes pointed at our direction in the future.
>>
File: grain 1.jpg (233 KB, 540x361) Image search: [Google]
grain 1.jpg
233 KB, 540x361
>>43853621
You are Trym, chief of your clan. your people have lived deep in this valley since the time of your grandfather's grandfather. Now, you have moved to its mouth, between two of its sheltering arms. Your camp is amid tall grasses and scattered blue flowers and for now, your people are content, hunting the great aurochs that graze a safe distance from you.

It is early summer. You have enough food to last you and your woman through to the midsummer. What will you do?
>Hunt the aurochs 4d10 (Strength +Hunter)
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>>
>>43853633
You're only in danger of DEATH BY SNU-SNU. What can I say? She likes a confident man who takes charge and you just took more charge than literally anyone she has ever even imagined.
>>
Rolled 2 (1d10)

>>43853688
Investigate these new grasses. We already know that they're different, somehow, from the grasses we're more used to seeing.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>43853717
aand rolling
>>
>>43853722
fug
>>
Rolled 8, 1, 8, 2 = 19 (4d10)

>>43853688
bring Mesut's hunting band to!
get food for the whole clan
also bonding
>>
>>43853688
Visit fish lady to deliver our necklace
>>
>>43853716
>>43853722
Uhhh, I think you guys burned all your luck!
>>
>>43853688
>>43853731
Second, I want to gift that necklace while it's warm and our family is well fed
>>
>>43853736
Worth it.
>>
Rolled 6, 1, 3, 3 = 13 (4d10)

>>43853688
>Hunt the aurochs
>>
Rolled 1 (1d10)

>>43853688
>>Continue trying to make sense of how to tame plants 1d10 (Wits
>>
>>43853688
>>43853731

this, lets go see the water spirit
>>
Rolled 10, 9, 1, 10 = 30 (4d10)

>>43853688
>Hunt the aurochs 4d10
>>
>>43853688
>give fish lady the necklace before we forget
>>
>>43853731
alright deleted >>43853717 to second.
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 1, 2 = 10 (4d10)

>>43853688
>>43853731
>>43853749
>>43853773
>>43853824
we have moved our tribe away from fish-lady-fish

hunt furry oxes
>>
>>43853688
>give the water spirit her necklace
>>
>>43853688
>>43853731
This
>>
File: ttyn.gif (2 MB, 296x248) Image search: [Google]
ttyn.gif
2 MB, 296x248
>>43853688
>be in potential epic quest
>samefags and namefags piss on everything
>pic related
>>
>>43853845
>we have moved our tribe away from fish-lady-fish

all the more reason to go visit her then. We can say good bye, and offer the necklace as thanks for keeping our family fed in lean times. We owe it to her
>>
>>43853901
I think you might just be buttblasted.
>>
>>43853901
what same fags? I see around 11 votes and there's twelve people including the QM.
>>
>>43853901
Take a chill pill. We'll get around to stuff in the meantime and if we put off important shit until it's too late, well I guess that's an incentive not to samefag, as it is ENTIRELY possible for your character to die in this quest and even for your entire line to die out.

Votes being counted now. Let's see where the coin falls.
>>
With all that's been going on, you've been constantly forgetting to deliver your gift to the strange river-woman you met at the falls. One night, as you arrange your things, a stone falls from your bag and sheds a soft light. Sera giggles as you hold it up and cup your hand around the opening, shining the soft white light down on her. Seeing the gift again after so long hidden away from sight and hands, you remember the wolf-tooth necklace you made to repay the fish-woman, doubly so after she helped you fish in that one lean winter. The next day, you bid Beren farewell and kiss her, informing her of your intention to go back upriver. Ever since your speech to the clan, she's been unusually affectionate, at both day and night and she eagerly kisses you, telling you to hurry back with a wink. "If only you had told me last night~ I'd have given you something to send you off with~" she laughs.

You set out after telling a few others you won't be long. Elia quickly volunteers to come with you, but you refuse. You've been noticing Galit looking suggestively at you since your bold speech, perhaps seeing how suddenly the tribe seems to be following you and looking for some new big man to attach herself to. If that happened, Elia would never forgive you, so instead, before you leave, you take the chance to push Elia and Galit closer together with a few well-placed introductions and a white lie or two about his hunting prowess has been shaming you lately. Elia looks about ready to kiss your feet by the time you leave them with a wave.
>>
>>43854287
Aww, good on us for being a good wing man.
>>
File: Water spirit 1.jpg (562 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Water spirit 1.jpg
562 KB, 1280x720
>>43854287
Your journey upriver however, is not as long as you expect.

You reach the spot where your tribe used to fish, even seeing a few patches where the grass has not yet reclaimed burnt fire-pits. Sitting on the bank and looking a little sad and lost, is a young woman you don't recognise at first. In fact, you've only seen her once before, watching you from the reeds, jsut before Sera's birth. She's extremely alien, with hair the bright colour of fall leaves and eyes like amber stones. She's also completely naked, showing off a smooth and well-proportioned body and dangling her bare feet in the river. As you approach, she looks up and springs to her feet with a splash and a cry of delight! Before you know what's happening, she's thrown her arms around your neck in a tight hug. "I thought everyone was gone!" she sighs in relief. "Why is no-one here?"

"I- uh... I'm sorry, who even are you?" you ask in confusion.
She lets go and steps back, wide eyes looking... Down at you? Wow, she's tall... Only a couple of finger-widths, but still taller than you even! "I'm me?" she replies, sounding a little confused by the question. "I can't be anyone else? Don't you like how I look now? I tried to make it match..." Her features seem almost to flow, rippling as they hook slightly more. "Like this then? Like that other woman?"
"Wait, how did you do that?!" you gasp, reaching for your knife as you step back. "I've never met you before!"
"Oh!" the woman claps her hands together and beams. "Of course! Sorry! We have met before though." This time, her entire body ripples. Scales the colour of old grass blossom across her skin, her hair falls into fins and webs grow between her fingers. "See? Do you remember me now?"
>>
>>43854400
What do you do?
>Give her the necklace and leave as fast as possible. She's creeping you out!
>Talk to her in a friendly fashion. She's trying to be pleasant at least
>Offer to take her back with you. She seemed lonely here.
>NOPE! HAD ENOUGH WEIRD SHIT FOR ONE LIFETIME! Stab it dead!
>Other
>>
>>43854400
>>Talk to her in a friendly fashion. She's trying to be pleasant at least
>>Offer to take her back with you. She seemed lonely here.
>>
>>43854448
>>
>>43854438
whoops, had this >>43854448
link the wrong post
>>
>>43854438
>>
>>43854438
>>
>>43854438
>Talk to her in a friendly fashion. She's trying to be pleasant at least
>Offer to take her back with you. She seemed lonely here.
well maybe not the village but the new fishing spot should be good. also don't forget the amulet
>>
>>43854438
>>
>>43854438
>>
>>43854400
It seems she's grown in intelligence, if she's able to speak like us.
>>
Well all that seems fairly unanimous. Jeeze, who knew all I had to do to get attention was dangle a naked fishwaifu in front of you all?

Also, where the hell did you all come from?! I thought this quest had like four posters!

Writing
>>
>>43854576
I've been trying to participate more often, though yesterday I was admittedly busy with turkey day
>>
>>43854576
lurkers thirsty for fish lady RWB
>>
>>43854576
sadly nothing gets people into a quest as much as exotic waifus.
I'm so ashamed.
>>
>>43854576
Been here since the beggining mate.
>>
File: Kitsune 4.jpg (98 KB, 600x624) Image search: [Google]
Kitsune 4.jpg
98 KB, 600x624
>>43854622
Good lord, they have no idea what they're getting into.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

>>43854661
There's no shame in it, anon. Just wait until you see the kind of shit that was in the last quest/is coming in this one
>>
>>43854705
hopefully nothing too terrible, I like fish lady and she's helped us in rough times, I don't want to have to kill her for no raisin
>>
>>43854762
Damn straight. There better be atleast 3 raisins involved in her death.
>>
>>43854794
>fish lady shapeshifts into the wolf
>she was the wolf all along, and she let us kill her physical form to keep our family warm and to use it's bones as tools
fish lady, you are too good to us
>>
>>43854829
>fish lady shapeshifts into Elia, then Galit
>fish lady switches forms of all our tribe
>fish lady was our tribe all along
>>
>>43854870
mfw
>>
You let out a breath you didn't know you'd been holding and lower your hand away from your knife. "It's you... Why did you hide who you were though? I owe you my thanks for your help."
She shrugs, pressing her hands together in front of her. "Humans are interesting! Much more interesting than frogs and fish. I've been watching you for a long time."
"But why?" you ask, getting over the shock of seeing her change now. "We've been in this valley and have fished in the river for generations." It suddenly occurs to you that the fish-woman might object to that... Until you remember she was the one that gave you fish when you needed them. "Thank for for helping me that one time, by the way."
"Everyone must eat," she nods, "I don't eat as much as fish, or humans though. I want to try eating like you do, but I don't know how you make that flickery thing. You were hungry, so I thought you might like me if I helped you. You'd seen me before too, so you wouldn't be afraid." She lowers her head and looks worried. "When you and the other one came to my pool, I was scared. Then the other one wanted to take my specials and I was angry. I hope you liked the shine I gave you though."
"Elia gave his his sweetheart," you chuckle. "She seemed to like it. He made it into a necklace. Oh, I made you something too, to thank you!"

You present her with the necklace and she looks at it curiously. "What is it?"
"It's a necklace. You put it around your neck, see?"
"Oh. Why?"
That stumps you for a second. "It... Looks nice?"
"And you're giving it to me?"
"Yes."
She thinks for a second, then nods and smiles. "I like this! Thank you!"
>>
>>43854959
Your... Specials?
>>
>>43854959
this is absolutely the right decision
>>
>>43855005
What could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>43855032
At best, all that happens is that we have kids who can use magic and shit. Just like I've been hoping for, basically.
>>
>>43854959
She struggles a bit to get the necklace past her 'hair' but quickly takes to admiring her reflection in water held in her cupped hands. "These are from the wolf, aren't they?" she asks.
"How did you know about that?" you quickly reply, suspiciously.
"He drinks from me sometimes. When he didn't for a while and then came back different, I guessed he'd been killed. Did you do it?" She looks up at you and frowns. "Do you kill things like me and the wolf?"
"...Only if they try to kill me?" you try. This seems to satisfy her and she goes back to looking at herself.

"I have an idea," you try, "Why not come back with me to the clan?"
"Go back with you?" she blinks, "But why?"
"You looked lonely here," you shrug. "You don't want to see more people?"
"I don't want to be too far from where you met me," she mutters. "I like it there. I don't like leaving myself behind either..."
"Wait, what do you mean 'yourself'?" you ask, "Aren't you right here?"
"I am."
"So what's the problem? Just walk."
She shakes her head. "No. You always walk away from me. I don't want to. Here is fine, but..." She waves her hand away from the river and shivers. "I tried once. It feels wrong."
"O-kay..? Well we're not that way anymore. We're downstream. We moved."
"Oh! Like in winter?" she perks up at once. "That's alright then! If you're still near me than I can come for a while. I still don't want to leave the start of me behind though."
"There you go again," you sigh. "What do you mean 'the start of you'?"
She opens her mouth, then it seems to hit her. "OH! You're like the wolf, aren't you? I didn't realise. I'm here, but I'm also there." She points to the river and smiles. "I am the river."
And in all of your people's history, no-one has ever given as flat a "What," as you do.
>>
>>43855131
Once you've processed the thought, she agrees to return with you, so long as she can stay close to the river. Distractingly, she also chooses to return to looking human again, still naked save for her new necklace. To try and avoid getting side-tracked, you ask what her name is.
"A name?"
"What do I call you?"
"...Me?"
"No, I mean... I'm called Trym. The other one you saw me with is Elia. Beren is my woman and Sera my daughter."
"Your daughter... Oh, your child? You have different names? Hmm..." She looks confused for a moment, then smiles and shrugs. "Then I don't know what my name is! Can you tell me?

What will you name her?
>>
>>43855146
Uh. I don't have any decent-sounding paleolithic names.

Rhys?
>>
>>43855146
Awqis (best I could come up with)
>>
>>43855146
Nila?
>>
>>43855146
damnit RWB, I can't think of anything. What's the word our tribe uses for river? Use that
>>
>>43855203
ooh Nila is a good female river name.
deleting >>43855159
>>
I'm >>43855160. Supporting Nila .>>43855203
>>43855146
>>
>>43855146
>>43855203
http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/nila

Checked up on Nila, and I'll second it. I think it's appropriate
>>
>>43855146
Padashah emperor halim the fourth.

Nah. Seren?
>>
>>43855253
ha, inspired by the Nile river and the name of an ancient Egyptian princess. Good show, anon
>>
Dead thread?
>>
>>43855652
I hope not.
>>
"How about Nila?"
She rolls the word over in her mind, before nodding. "I am Nila then."
The way back to the new camp is a fair distance and takes several days travel. Nila, it seems, is unfamiliar with life outside the river and shivers the first night, as the temperature falls. It becomes so bad that you're afraid she might freeze and so invite her under the furs for warmth. She instantly complies and you're shocked to find how cold she is to the touch, just as she's astonished at how warm you are. After that first night, she doesn't even bother asking, instead just slipping into bed with you every night. You notice that over the two weeks it takes you to return, she gradually becomes warmer (much to your relief) until she's merely cool, rather than cold as death.

As you move away from the river however, to reach the camp between the arms of the valley's hills, Nila very quickly becomes weak and stumbling. She gradually seems to regain her strength with every rest, but it drains away like water from your hands, as soon as you start to move again. She's fine up to a spear's cast from the water, but beyond that, your progress slows to a crawl as she has to acclimatize with every step. Eventually however, you make it to the village, with Nila breathing heavily and leaning on you for support. Your swift return and your companions state of undress and distress raises quite a few questions among the clan, but they quickly welcome her, Beren providing her with some clothes, before giving you The Look. For a moment, you're worried she'll be jealous, but your clan has no special stigma on having many women bound to you; after all, a man with many women can have many children. Instead she just regards Nila for a while, then shrugs, smiles and cups her own chest suggestively, smirking at you. It's true; Nila has her pretty out-matched purely in terms of looks.
>>
>>43855824
>she just regards Nila for a while, then shrugs, smiles and cups her own chest suggestively, smirking at you
Beren best girl
>>
>>43855893
Beren gives no fucks.

>>43855824
The river incarnate slowly recovers from her weakness over the next two days and soon is up and being amazed by every little thing. She has trouble grasping what fire is, resulting in a bad burn, but she soon learns to respect the flicking hot stuff and stays away from then on. As the days draw on however, people begin to question just who and WHAT she is, as Nila pines more and more for her home. Most of the clan (including Beren) assumed at first she was your new woman, but the more she speaks with them, the more that theory is dispelled. Still, that doesn't stop Beren from all but pushing you into bed with Nila, still giving you The Look that seems to amount to, "You brought her home and now you don't do anything with her? No way; you started this mess, now you will finish it and feel me JUDGING YOU." Once she realised what was happening (and how different it was for humans), Nila didn't seem to be complaining. In fact, she was quite enthusiastic...

One day however, Nila's longing for home becomes too much. She thanks you for allowing her to stay with you and thanks everyone in the clan for being so welcoming and teaching her so much, before simply walking to the river. A short time later, the fishers come back pale-faced and report that she just walked into the river, smiled at them and turned into water that splashed into the river. You're made to explain exactly what she was, leading to revelations that have the entire tribe stunned...
>>
>>43855972
The clan seems a little awed by the revelation of Nila's nature. Having had a chance to get to know her first, their reaction seems to be fear, tempered with familiar affection. A few suggest leaving gifts by the water for her, in the hopes she'll give them good fishing. It's an idea that catches on fast, especially as it largely seems to work...

It is now late summer. You have at long last run out of food, just as Beren's belly is again starting to swell with a child. She seems downright smug about it too and takes to teasing you relentlessly, promising that you will not touch her until after the baby is born, for fear of hurting it. A few of the tribe regard you with pitying expressions. Beren is widely acknowledged now as a very formidable woman indeed.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>>
Rolled 9, 5, 5, 4 = 23 (4d10)

>>43856031
>>
>>43856031

Damn Trym, your pretty fertile
>>
Rolled 3, 9, 2 + 3 = 17 (3d10 + 3)

>>43856031
Change Hunter to Fisher
>>
Rolled 1, 8, 5, 3 = 17 (4d10)

>>43856031
>>Hunt the aurochs 4d10 (Strength +Hunter)
>>
Rolled 7, 3, 5, 7 = 22 (4d10)

>>43856112
forgot dice
>>
>>43856112
It's the Meso/Neolithic. You have a good chance of losing kids/spouses, so you NEED to spread that seed as much as you can
>>
Wow this is a hell of a falloff now fishtits have vanished... Votes called? There'll be a brief break as I need something to eat, but the update is soon.
>>
>>43856433
Fishtits is like Frosty the Snowman. She'll be back again some day
>>
The aurochs are entirely different beasts to the skittish deer and ornery goats you're used to hunting. It seems that, quite apart from your promises, small hunting bands like you and Elia are simply no longer viable when your pray can shrug off one, two, three or even four good javelins and STILL close the distance to end your life! Birds are still present, but in fewer numbers, leaving people like Elia suddenly much the poorer and unable to support their families. Your people are nothing is not resourceful however and soon discover ways to make up for their shortcomings. Ironically enough, a few ideas come from the Elders oldest stories. The weaker hunters take to digging large pits that the more hardy (and faster) hunters then bait the aurochs into, so that they either fall and are skewered on stakes, or else are trapped in a dead end, easy pray for your jabbing spears and javelins, even for someone with Elia's arm.

Being the leader of the hunting party, Mesut is again showered with praise from the tribe and takes the chance to take his four women and multiple children and set himself up as an entirely new family, adopting Paku and his original band as his brothers.

Your hunt brings in enough food to see you through to the middle of fall and either you or Beren until winter.

The leaves have begun to turn and it is now early fall.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>>
>>43856911
>>
Rolled 9 (1d10)

>>43856930
Seconded
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>43856930
>>
>>43857470
>>43857358
Well... When do we get the murder plants that hunt for us?

and taste like grape?
>>
Sorry for the delay everyone! Shout out to >>43855721 Steal Back The Stars. Gotta love space pirates.

With the fruit on the trees ripening, you have a chance to observe another vital stage of the process by which food comes around. The trees are much sparser this far down the valley, but by chance, you are in the perfect place to see the waves of green grass turn golden. Some of the clan see it as a bad sign, but you have other ideas. The grass may have those annoying hairs on the end, but you secretly squirrel some away and get to work with your usual enthusiasm for tinkering. A few shakes and the bits on the end fall loose... You watch them over days, adding everything you've gleaned thus far, even the time you stepped in aurochs dung while hunting with Mesut (thank goodness you just wiped it off with grass and rinsed what was left in the river... You briefly wonder how Nila would respond to that, but you've been washing there since forever anyway). Soon, you're rewarded. Inside the warm tent, the seeds split open and show tiny shoots. And the aurouchs eat the things, so...

The seeds taste terrible, of course. They're rough and bad, but by experimenting, you find that by grinding them, they release an off-white powder that Beren covertly helps you discover can be used to make meat more delicious before it is roasted and you suspect has other uses too. Flour. You have a new way to gather food and given how the tribe is growing and the new difficulty of hunting, it's going to become useful in the near future. You've come over halfway. Now you just have to work out the particulars of the plants of the region. Simple, right?
>>
>>43858404
It is now late fall. The tribe is uneasy with staying here over the winter, but you assure them it will be fine. The Elders look concerned, but agree to try things your way for once.

You have enough food to see you or your woman through until winter.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>>
Rolled 9, 3, 2, 5 = 19 (4d10)

>>43858428
>>
Rolled 2, 7, 3, 3 = 15 (4d10)

>>43858428
Hunt the aurochs sure

We could observe the ripening now though I'm sure
>>
Rolled 6, 3, 8, 10 = 27 (4d10)

>>43858428
we need as much meat as possible. it would be pretty embarrasing to kill the tribe because of our diplomacy.
>>
>>43858688
Nice roll
>>43858428
>>
Rolled 9, 4, 7, 8 = 28 (4d10)

>>43858428
No just fell asleep
>>
Rolled 35, 28, 10, 7 = 80 (4d40)

>>43858688
this
>>
Rolled 2, 7, 1, 7 = 17 (4d10)

>>43859053
ops
>>
Taking advantage of the last of the good hunting for the season, you take a break from your studies and head to the fields with the hunters. Even more so than in summer, the aurochs are fat and lazy, but still easy to anger and trap. You pick off the few you estimate you'll need to see you through to spring. In fact, your hunt is so successful that you can afford to set a great fire and roast a cow whole, divvying it up to the clan, before smoking the rest. The impromptu feast does a great deal to boost morale as the days close in. Everyone is exceptionally thankful and go to bed with bellies almost as swollen as Beren's!

You have enough food to see you and your woman clean through to spring and your daughter has survived her first year of life without incident! She smiles up at you displaying healthy, white teeth. "Daaa! Daaadaaadaaaaa!" she babbles, never failing to make you smile. Sera isn't using full words yet, but she knows her mama and dada and is crawling anywhere, any time she gets the chance. You and Beren have a minor contest going to see who can be the one to get her to take her first steps un-aided.

And then winter hits.

Un-sheltered by your usual quarters and without the hardy tents of the strangers, you are hit hard. The clan adapts as fast as they can, but bivouacs collapse under the wind and snow, needing constant repairs. Some days, it's warm enough for the snow to start to melt into slush, before re-freezing that night and chilling everyone to the bone. Luckily, the weather this year isn't especially harsh.

What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>Other
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>43859889
let's find a way to make us take less time to get food to get more time to do other things than hunting.
>>
Rolled 8 (1d10)

>>43859889
Rolling just to secure the vote. After this we need to make actual huts. we aren't migrants anymore so we might as well make sturdier shelter.
>>
Rolled 10 (1d10)

>>43859889
>>
File: angryneanderthal.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
angryneanderthal.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>43859939
>>43860374
>>43861167
thoses rolls are disgustingly good
>>
File: 1408438128842.jpg (253 KB, 1102x967) Image search: [Google]
1408438128842.jpg
253 KB, 1102x967
>>43861167
my first roll in the quest and i may have fucked it up
>>
>>43861280
>roll max value
>thinks he fucked up
we roll high here, also welcome to the active rolling community where the feeling of guilt and achievement can come from the dice gods.
>>
>>43861280
Nah man, you did great. And even if you were to fuck up, just blame the dice gods.
>>
The clan struggles to keep their homes up during the winter's chill, but you have other concerns. You know you're getting closer to the secrets of securing reliable food for your clan, possibly forever. You spend your days and far into the night, lost in thought, picking apart every idea possible. The grains are a good start, but what else? The variety in your diets would be a huge boon to everyone involved... Dates, grapes, figs, apricots, hazelnuts, cherries... You've never seen them all growing in the same place, so why are they always so scattered? And which would be best for you to grow? It's not a simple issue...

As midwinter hits, the situation gets worse. The damp and cold has caused disease to start among the clan and now everyone is scared and desperate, unsure of what to do. A few suggest leaving for the strangers to ask for help. Given they were among Mesut's firebrands advocating attacking them not so long ago, they MUST be desperate.

And to make matters worse, there are stories starting to circulate... Stories of people seeing a white wolf stalking the village.

You have enough food to last you and Beren until spring. What will you do?
>Explore the forest
>Explore up the valley
>Explore the hills
>Make something special
>Other
>>
>>43861578
>Other
>try to find and talk with the white wolf
>>
>>43861578
Look for the White Wolf. Name him Geralt.
>>
>>43861633
seconding
we need to deal with him
>>
>>43861699
nah let's name him Ares
>ares/sera
i think giving him a mirror name is fitting since he's probably the son of the wolf we killed and we're giving him a name that mirror our daughter's name.
>>
>>43861578
Travel to the other clan and ask for their help building. If they can't help you ask to look at the houses they currently have.
>>
>>43861578
>try to find and talk with the white wolf
>>
>>43861779
Huh. Someone found out the base i used for picking Sera a lot earlier than i expected.
>>
>>43861779
I don't think he's the son, I think he is the wolf much in the same that Nila is the river. He probably either made himself a new form to wear or had taken one from a wolf pack
>>
Now the white wolf's return is more common knowledge among the clan, there's no escaping a confrontation with it, or at least, you have to be seen to try. People are already starting to resent you, after your promise of 'mild winters' turned out to be a load of crap, but while you can't do much to fight the diseases currently ravaging half your people, you can certainly allay their fears about a living beast. So with a great deal of attention on you, you take your spear and head into the hills that bracket the clan. The first night after you set out, the wolf approaches your tiny, guttering fire and sits down on its haunches.

"One year and I've learned a lot," it says. The beast speaks plainly, bluntly and with a trace of impatience about its tone. "I thought your pack would tear itself apart before the summer, but no. You held it together. And somehow, you became the alpha, despite another being stronger than you. That took me by surprise, but the more I watched, the more it became clear to me. You lead your pack to better hunting grounds; they followed you because you gave them more food. That was an important lesson, I think." It nods its great head, considering. "And then you brought back the river. That was VERY surprising, but told me a lot. For instance, I learned how to do this." A shiver runs through the animal, as its form contorts, stretching in some areas and compacting in others. Its muzzle shrinks and its fur retracts, but its ears and tail remain, as does the yellow of its eyes and a shaggy, wild head of white hair. "Brrrgh... You humans... How do you not freeze before you can put on the fur of other creatures?" It shuffles close to the fire and looks up at you. He seems to realise he's said a lot and now seems to be waiting for you to respond.

What will you talk to him about?
>Why are you still stalking the village?
>What do you intend for my daughter?
>Kindly go away. Others are scared.
>Why take a human form now?
>>
>>43862673
>>Why are you still stalking the village?
>>What do you intend for my daughter?
>>
>>43862673
why are you interested in her?
>>
>>43862673
>>
>>
>>43862937
>>43862883
Yeah this
>>
>>43862673
Just read through the archive. Glad I could make it to a live one
>>
"Why are you stalking my people?" you ask, locking eyes with the beast. "And what do you intend for my daughter?"
The wolf raises his eyebrow. "To watch and to watch," he replies. "Didn't I tell you this before? You humans are interesting; you're weak and slow, but you make fire and make your claws, rather than growing them and you burn your meat before eating it and wear the furs of other creatures, as you can't grow your own. I chose to watch your pup because she is new and will be seeing everything for the first time." He pauses and looks a little smug. "I learned to talk much faster than her."

You try to hold the wolf's gaze, but he seems to tire of the attention, staring back and you find you are unable to meet his eyes for long. Their intensity is just too strong, too much like he's deciding if he's hungry enough to eat you. "Your bitch has another one on the way, doesn't she," he says. It's not a question. "I think I'll watch that one too and see if there's anything I've missed. After that... Well, we'll see. Now... I have questions. First: Why did you come looking for me, especially alone? That's stupid of you; I could kill you easily. Second: What is your interest in the river? She's started looking like you humans. She's never done that before. I want to know what she wanted to know."

How will you answer?
>I came to tell you to leave
>I came to find out what you know
>I came to be friends
>I came to kill you

>The river has a name, you know
>Who knows what she's thinking?
>She wanted to learn about us
>She and I desired one another
>>
>>43863286
>I'm here because you are frighting my people
>>
>>43863157
Sorry to say that you only caught the tail end of this one, pal. I'm hitting the sack!

I'll count up your votes and start the thread on Monday with them. Of course, this might be a little delayed, given that Monday is also my birthday. Still, I'll do my best to have the thread up on the 30th at 4pm Eastern. The twitter's in the OP for anyone who wants to follow it there.

Feel free to tell me what I'm doing right and wrong, by the way. I read everything you guys leave; it makes me feel as if I'm valued. Leave your votes too, if you want and I'll count them. Or we could just go from here next time, that's good too.

I'm rambling. I need sleep. See you all next time. Be safe!
>>
>>43863286
>>I came to be friends
Red Herrings have worked well so far.
>>
>>43863286
>I came to be friends
>>
>>43863366
I came here to ask you to leave and if you won't at least avoid being seen. The village fears your kind and will try to kill you should you remain.
The river, her name is Nila, was interested in us just like you.
>>
>>43863338
First time that I have caught a thread live albeit when it was ending. Just wanted to say that this quest is pretty fookin awesome and that it just became much more awesome after we became the literal chief. Good times abound.

Will wonder why nobody has fucking researched better tents yet though. It is cheap and easy to do compared to the multi-season task of the agriculture project. We are freezing to fucking death right now but we are still easily hunting enough animals to feed us into the next few years. Priorities be whack as fuck.

>>I came to be friends
>>
>>43863863
Because we didn't need them, and thought the winters would be lighter here. Of course, now that we *do* need them, and since we also have Craftsman, we'll surely be able to come up with them within a couple of seasons.
Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.