[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we acknowledge that,while Tolkien was at least in some degree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: Fighter.jpg (141 KB, 400x486) Image search: [Google]
Fighter.jpg
141 KB, 400x486
Can we acknowledge that,while Tolkien was at least in some degree was inspired perhaps by the Jewish diaspora when writing his Dwarves in The Hobbit, that the vast majority of fictional Dwarves are more likely inspired as analogous to Celtic, Gaelic, Germanic, and Norse cultures?

I only bring this up because people endlessly parrot this on /tg/ and I think maybe you guys have misunderstood Tolkien's intention. He was notorious for distaste of allegorical subtext. I always interpreted his comment as him saying that he noticed these paralells after having formulated the characters instead of "BRO THESE ARE FANTASY JEWS". Really I wouldn't have even thought of the Jews as being themetically similair to the Dwarves until Tolkien pointed it out which I really think is what he meant.

I don't have anything against Jews, but it irks me when in some discussions on here people try to say they are the equivalent to "Middle Earth's Jews". Beyond the slight thematic paralells I don't really see any other evidence that they are supposed to be representative of Jews. When I ask them to elaborate they just say "But they love gold, isn't obvious? XD"

Also, like I mentioned earlier, overwhelmingly Dwarves seemingly take visual and cultural cues from Norse and Gaelic cultures more so than from the Jewish diaspora it seems to me.

So can we finally put this antisemitic meme to rest?
>>
File: fassburton.jpg (75 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
fassburton.jpg
75 KB, 1024x683
>Love of shekels
>Odd facial hair
>Live alone and worship their own god
>Dont invite others to join them in their worship
>Make things largely for each other.
>Refuse to help others when others help them.
>Hoarding them shekels.
>Striken with the curse of greed.
>Short and hairy
>Odd dietary habits
>Women also have facial hair?
>SHEKELS SHEKELS SHEKELS

I forgot what argument I was trying to oy'vey
>>
They're xenophobic and have a hard time assimilating into other cultures, preferring to maintain their traditions. They also have this thing with short statures and beards.

And, they spent an entire book/3 movies trying to reclaim their ancestral homeland.
>>
>>43839118
>Celtic, Gaelic
>Germanic, and Norse
There is a difference?
>>
>>43839189
Location.
In the middle, north and to the west, to the east and to the north.
>>
>>43839189
Don't let any of the Eurolards hear you say that. They threw an autismal tantrum if you mistake some minute retarded Dutch custom as German or vice versa because Europe is really super duper special snowflake :(
>>
>>43839246
As a European by myself I was half joking, since the mythology in some cases is damn vague about the proper origin.
>because Europe is really super duper special snowflake
It's like if I call a Canadian an American.
>>
>>43839310
And notice how no American or Canadian fucking cares? Like nowhere else goes full on autist like western Europe does it when it comes to demanding unwarranted respect on the internet.
>>
>>43839377
Ahahaha, Americans get bitch-blasted if you call them from the wrong state. Canucks bitch when you call them Americans because they believe they are more sophisticated by having more Frenchies.
>>
>>43839377
>And notice how no American or Canadian fucking cares?
Canadian here. Speak for yourself, I fucking care
>>
>>43839377

My parents always told me that Canadians get super pissed if you mistake them for Americans.
>>
>dislikes allegory
>write pseudo-mythology

dayum son u done goofed.
>>
>>43839377
I think you have that backwards.
>>
File: 1447801988837.jpg (357 KB, 775x502) Image search: [Google]
1447801988837.jpg
357 KB, 775x502
>>43839118
>Can we acknowledge that,while Tolkien was at least in some degree was inspired perhaps by the Jewish diaspora when writing his Dwarves in The Hobbit, that the vast majority of fictional Dwarves are more likely inspired as analogous to Celtic, Gaelic, Germanic, and Norse cultures?
No, I'm here to play games and have fun, not do your fucking dissertation in shit only lib art majors find problematic.
>>
>>43839377
It's also, 9:00am thanksgiving morning. The biggest family gather-around-a-table holiday. Of course they haven't responded.
>>
>>43839432
He wrote a mythology that was really more a setting for his personal love on constructed languages, hence all the constructed languages of great detail in Middle-Earth.

Nations and wars and allegory Tolkown couldn't give a fuck about. ESPECIALLY war, which is perhaps understandable as he personally saw some of the worst fighting Britain had during Great War and lost all but one of his oldest closest friends during the Somme.
I imagine basically loosing everyone he considered a friend in the same of some overcomplicated national ideal that no one could explain to him turned him off to the "glories of war" and nations and all that.

At least Middle-Earth is less obvious about it then his early stories which involved "iron cauldrons that spilled forth endless torrents of evil goblins that slaughtered the peaceful folk who only wanted to live in peace", which is perhaps a little bit on the nose.
>>
>>43839450
Why is it always the guy who posts forcedelf the guy who makes the worst posts in a thread?
>>
>>43839663
Same reason that traditional KKK members way back in the day frequently tended to hail from the Southernly states and often had poor education in; while not 100% always true, often an action is indicative of the condition of the person doing it.

A serious suggests a man with little taste and less intelligence or a troll, so his post will likely be both tasteless and stupid or a troll post.
>>
>>43839422
Meanwhile Americans pretend to be Canadian while overseas.
>>
File: 1394336987995[1].jpg (103 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1394336987995[1].jpg
103 KB, 384x313
>>43839118
>that the vast majority of fictional Dwarves are more likely inspired as analogous to Celtic, Gaelic, Germanic, and Norse cultures?
Shall we instead acknowledge that most fantasy writers have no originality and think giving someone a Scottish accent equals characterization?
>>
>>43839377
you can sort of forgive it since the dutch identity is older than double the american and canadian one combined
its more correct to call an american mexican than a dutchman german and I'm willing to bet there's more than one american who'd take offense at that
>>
>>43840021
The American identity is older than the German identity by about a century though.
>>
>>43840049
This is a Joke right please tell me you are kidding Germans have been around for way longer than the US just because the nation known as Germany has not been around for that long does not mean shit for all intent and purpose the Holy Roman Empire was Germany it just had a different name so fuck of with your hippy bullshit
>>
>>43839246
You think everyone else on Earth doesn't also feel this way?
>>
If dwarfs are Jews, would you say the logical progression of events in a fantasy world involves the dwarfs taking over goblin kingdoms and then placing all of them in concentration camp while they focus on strip mining the area and bribing all the other free races with dwarfcrafts and gold?
>>
File: ml5ocjttfoabsivkjs2n.png (127 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
ml5ocjttfoabsivkjs2n.png
127 KB, 640x358
>>43839377
>no Canadian cares
>>
>>43839927
Been overseas many times and never pretended to be Canadian. The only thing that has ever happened is a Pakistani guy made a snide comment at me in a Swedish bar. I think he was buttmad that I laughed and offered to buy him a drink (he didn't accept).
>>
>>43842131
Eurofags get buttmad when it is pointed out that their countries aren't as old as they think they were. Germany didn't exist until the late 20th century, broski. Go cry about it.
>>
>Can we acknowledge that,while Tolkien was at least in some degree was inspired perhaps by the Jewish diaspora when writing his Dwarves in The Hobbit, that the vast majority of fictional Dwarves are more likely inspired as analogous to Celtic, Gaelic, Germanic, and Norse cultures?

No. The dwarves are mainly based on jews.
>>
>>43839377
That's because Americans are uncultured swines.
>>
>>43839155
>>43839246
>>43839377
>>43839450
>>43843055
>>43842594
>>43843088
epic memes

anonymous is legion
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.