[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: get.jpg (44 KB, 310x374) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
44 KB, 310x374
So, let's pretend I'm a retard. This is not a hard thing to do. And let's pretend I know shit about board games. If I were interested in sinking money in a fine board game, which one would you recommend to me? I'd prefer something fantasy like or sci-fi like, though horror also works. I'm not really interested in games like Settlers of catan, or others where you just build stuff, but more where you interact.

Plus is if it takes more than an hour to finish the game, bigger plus is if there are races-classes that will make the game different each time that you play.
>>
Try picking up a copy of Descent Journeys in the Dark. It's a fantasy dungeon crawling game where each character has different abilities and you can enhance your character with stuff you find in the Dungeon.

One Player acts as the Overlord and controls the monsters while the rest are adventurers and try to accomplish some objective in the Dungeon.
>>
>>43837851
>So, let's pretend I'm a retard.
Done.

Fuck off, dipshit.

I'm pretty fond of Talisman.
>>
>>43838008
>Talisman

That game's fun until you realize it's almost entirely luck based.
>>
>>43837991
Is there a game where there is no GM, or an arbiter, someone that participates in the game on equal footing with the rest?

>>43838008
The edge is strong. Still, that Talisman thing looks fun. The fourth revised edition is the one I'm looking at, right?
>>
>>43838042
Arkham Horror is like that, or Dead of Winter if you're into zombie survival. They're all co-op.
>>
>>43838062
Honestly, Arkham Horror was a very strong contender. I started to read the rules a bit, and it seems a bit complex, but maybe I need to go through it, trial and error like, not just looking at the rules themselves. (That and the Dunwhich expansion is unavailable where I live which is mandatory from what I hear.)

Never heard of Dead of Winter, though.
>>
File: pic1735714_md.jpg (70 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
pic1735714_md.jpg
70 KB, 500x281
>>43838081
I'd recommend Eldcritch Horror above Arkham Horror, but it really depends on if you want a streamlined experience travelling across the world, or a big chaotic experience investigating a city.

Cosmic Encounter is another great game, with extreme replayability, but you directly compete with the other players. Basically, you're all aliens with ridiculous game-breaking powers, travelling randomly to each others planets, negotiating, fighting and bluffing along the way
>>
>>43838152
Cosmic encounter looks very much like Twilight Imperium.

There were a few good suggestions in this thread. I should look into them in more detail.
>>
>>43837851
Try Eclipse: awesome space 4x game, which can be summed up as 'Twilight Imperium for those who have lives'.
>>
>>43837851
> Social Interaction (check!)
> Not afraid of longer play times (check!)

Check out any of the following:

Dixit
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
One Night Resistance
Love Letter
Funemployeed
Shadow Hunters
Citadels
Dark Moon
BattleStar Galactica
Dead of Winter
Specter Ops
The Grizzled
Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert
Gears of War (co-op)
D&D series (like 'Wrath of Ashardalon' - also co-op)
2nding Cosmic Encounter (you can add players and new races via the various expansions)

Using the Board Game Geek site, and use YouTube to find good video reviews.

This link should help:
http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

>>43839907
>Try Eclipse: awesome space 4x game, which can be summed up as 'Twilight Imperium for those who have lives'.

I love 'Space 4x' games and Eclipse, but it is definitely NOT "TI3-lite". Eclipse leans far more heavily into the 'war game' category than it does the 'grand strategy' category which is where TI3 is. Eclipse lacks any strong political elements. The bonuses and penalties for politics in Eclipse are minimal to the point that one can routinely ignore them and still win the game. If one is looking for a 'TI3' lite Space 4x game - try either Hegemonic where one can compete militarily, economically, or politically for the control of worlds and resources, or Exodus which has all of those elements (particularly in the new Edge of Extinction expansion) as well.
>>
>>43838042
Dead of Winter, and Gears of War are both excellent and fit your 'co-op' requirements.
>>
>>43838469
Cosmic is nothing like ti3, and looks nothing like ti3.
How the fuck did you make that conclusion? One comes in a box you bury your dog in, one is a light wacky and awesome politics game.
>>
>>43842516
What are you talking about their both space games with alien races. Both have two word names, with the first one staring with consonant and the second one a vowel. Cosmic Encounters and Twilight Imperiums are practically the same game.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.