[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games Workshop Black Friday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
So this seems pretty unprecedented, GW is actually throwing a sale tomorrow. Details are still unknown but still how long has it been since GW has done a sale for anything? 10+ years?

Are they finally figuring out good business practices?
>>
They just want to get rid of the Warhammer Fantasy stuff
>>
>>43824701

I was thinking that as well. I wonder if the deals are going to be heavily fantasy-sided.
>>
>>43824701
>>43824838
Theyre not. There's a lot of fantasy stuff too, but it's still mostly 40k.

And it's nothing to get excited about. The 'deals' are all huge combos adding up to about $300+ each, saving you about $30. They're not doing half off any individual kits or anything like that.

This is GW we're talking about, cmon.
>>
>>43824933
This. I was excited for a moment, but unless you're starting up a new army its not really worth it
>>
>>43824933

Now THIS sounds more like the GW I know. When the combo deals started costing exactly the same as the individual boxes that make them up, I stopped buying both.

Haven't bought GW in about five years, and hadn't bought regularly since the mid-2000's. Frankly, the new direction the styles went in didn't appeal to me.
>>
>Are they finally figuring out good business practices?
It's almost comical, because it seems like they are bunch of aliens trying to figure out huma culture. They heard about this black friday thing, where things get discounted and people buy lots of stuff.
So they make bundles that actually discount stuff, but, and this is BIG but, they are all several hundred bucks. Yes, if you actually WANT the shit in the bundle and want it all IN ONE GO, they might be not that bad. But what if you don't want to blow that much on a single bundle? There is fuck-all for people looking for lower pricepoints.
>>
>>43825119
Why doesn't GW understand the point of bundles?

The only reason to have them is to make them cheaper so people are encouraged to buy more than they would otherwise.
>>
File: H5ah3p2.jpg (354 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
H5ah3p2.jpg
354 KB, 1152x2048
bask in the glory of GW deals! hell is getting just a tiny bit cooler
>>
File: ac2X8Z5.jpg (261 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
ac2X8Z5.jpg
261 KB, 1152x2048
>>43825270
>>
File: f0NTGxo.jpg (275 KB, 1152x2048) Image search: [Google]
f0NTGxo.jpg
275 KB, 1152x2048
>>43825290
>>
I actually remember one point where the bundle itself was more expensive than the individual parts stuck together by a few bucks.

It's like GW thinks the time it spends making bundles for their customers is exactly as valuable as any savings a bundle would save, or they so GRACIOUSLY take the time to bundle things for your FOR FREE, saving you literally MINUTES of browsing the catalog and changing the "quantity" value on your shopping cart.
>>
>>43825204

You see, Games Workshop is radical and progressive! Those things are synonyms, right? Anyway, they see other companies doing things like building tight rulesets, and go the progressive direction of making them light. Isn't that radical? Hey, you know point systems? You know how it's so HARD trying to make a system where those points mean something? Well, let's just do away with them entirely! Yeah, RAD (read: radical)! You know what else is RAD? GIANT ROBOTS! They're cool, like anime, and you can have one of your own for just $90! Just one fills out almost a whole sixth of your standard-sized force. It's this kind of forward-thinking that really drives Games Workshop's new business model!
>>
>>43825204
whats happening is they see people spending $300 on $500 ipads or whatever during black friday, and want to get in on that $300 budget, not realizing that people prioritize higher budgets for things of higher importance

but then again, for thinking this im not their 'target audience' despite me having several armies and still enjoying the fucking game
>>
>No paint deals

Fuuuuuuuuuuu GW
>>
>>43825306
I totaled up the Mechanicus one. If the pack is one set of each thing mentioned, it would come to £245 separately. So that's a saving of £35 for a £210 purchase that gives you the absolute minimum of everything you buy in a game that rewards large units. I doubt any of the others are much better.
>>
GW doesn't even do deals on campaign boxes anymore. Compare Sanctus Reach and Deathstorm with the new RG vs. Tau one. No more huge savings.
>>
>>43826072
Games workshop is run by 4 accountants, a barrister who does accounting and a guy who worked at Tarmac. Of course they're going to look at Black Friday and think "SELL IN BULK".
>>
>>43826072
>>43829603

There's no way a REAL marketing department is so incompetent that they think "Black Friday means hundred dollar purchases". Even regular dumb old consumer faggots know Black Friday means massive discounts.

But then again GW doesn't have a real marketing department do they.
>>
>>43829669

>2015
>They don't even get the intern to run a twitter anymore

GW needs a shakeup badly, the whole sudden lets whore out our IP to everyone videogame shtick is already burning up in flames unless Sega hit gold.
I'm shcoked
>>
Honestly I'm not surprised that GW is mostly selling bundles that get you around maybe $50 savings. Miniature wargaming is a niche hobby and likely doesn't get enough sales to makes up for a mass reduction in prices. I know /tg/ likes to believe that GW makes 99.9% profit on everything they sell, but maybe that isn't the case.

>>43825343

I find it ridiculous that people still complain about this shit.

>>43829755

Who the fuck would actually want to deal with angry internet neckbeards all day for no compensation.

Also they don't go to video game developers, the developers come to them and GW gives the go ahead if they think the idea works. Case in point, at least some of the developers of Total Warhammer were/are Fantasy players.
>>
>>43829669
Yes, anyone with any business sense can tell you that's moronic, but in a large corporation, you present your idea to the people in charge and it gets passed around, each getting a turn on it, stuffing it full of their preconceptions and using it for their own ends.

When the idea gets back to you, it's been through too much, and has lost the will to live, and unless it was something the company wanted anyway it never stood a chance at all.
>>
>>43825290
>>43825306
>>43826677
I was with some friends earlier today and we totaled up the prices for a lot of them and they come out more expensive then buying it separate.
>>
>>43829817

Post all your new models and news on the twitter, retweet some fans models pictures they send you, articles, advertise deals etc.

Literally no one is forcing them to answer an random crazies, like evey other big company just ignore them and they'll go away.

Sad when fanmade ones are literally doing the job for GW and holding the community together at no expense or recognition by GW.
>>
>>43825119
Yeah it always got me that GW's kits pretty much never amounted to savings. I don't know if it's the case now but for a while Forgeworld had just one Thallax bundle that saved like 2 quid, but had none of the special weapon options (photon thruster/multimelta). Why not just buy 3x3 of what you want instead of 1x9?s
>>
>>43829897

>Post all your new models and news on the twitter, retweet some fans models pictures they send you, articles, advertise deals etc.

They do some of this on the GW site itself, via the Warhammer app, in WD, and in Warhammer Visions.
>>
>>43829924
>Yeah it always got me that GW's kits pretty much never amounted to savings.

But Citadel (tm) products are so fantastic that simply owning one is like getting massive savings!
>>
>>43829817
My LGS consistently offers 10$ off 40k models. While the selection isn't great, it shows that a profit can still be made at that lower price point. I don't think its too much to ask that they actually make bundles and buying in bulk worthwhile
>>
>>43829879
To be fair it only lists the different kits contained in the bundles, we don't know how many of each kit is contained.

The dwarf one only lists 4 different kits totaling about $170, but it's priced at $225. This would lead me to assumpe that at least 1 kit is doubled in there.
>>
>>43830052

Stores order product at 50-60% MSRP.
>>
>>43829924
>GW's kits pretty much never amounted to savings
They'll do it every now and then. Ignoring Calth, even Execution Force had some savings on RRP.
>>
>>43830121
Could be.
>>
>>43830129
And? GW is the manufacturer. It'd be even easier for them to have sales on bulk deals.
>>
>>43830232
>And?

You said

>My LGS consistently offers 10$ off 40k models. While the selection isn't great, it shows that a profit can still be made at that lower price point

I'm telling you why, moron.
>>
>>43830331
And the sky is blue because of how air reflects light.

Anything else obvious you want to point out?
>>
>>43825204

Most bundles do save you some money though not a lot. You usually end up with one free troop choice and a bunch of models that aren't useful at all.
>>
>>43830381

I could ask you the same with your "muh FLGs doesn't go out of business despite offering discounts on GW products!"
>>
Should also be mentioned that BL is also going to be doing some kind of Black Friday sale.
>>
>>43825270
>>43825290
>>43825306
>It's all bulk purchases

Goddamnit I was looking forward to finally buying an Arkhan model until i scrolled down and had my hopes dashed.
>>
>>43828286

That fucking raven guard box.
$140 for TWELVE models
>>
>>43829879
>I was with some friends earlier today
Bullshit.
>>
>>43825204
They used to, they stopped after Apocalypse 1.0 because resellers bought out the entire stock of bundles and normal customers got screwed and complained. So GW decided this was why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>43829879

That's the charge for doing all the hard work bundling it for you.
>>
File: uwotm8.png (371 KB, 1003x459) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.png
371 KB, 1003x459
>>43833474
kekkles you think that's fucked up? can't tell if these prices are just a joke or what. 10 models for 140? GW pls as if id ever by NIB
>>
>>43830052
In my country Italy 25% off is standard.
>>
>>43825290
Wow. Nice how that Orcs and goblins one is actually an anti deal in the US
>>
>>43837494
tell me your secrets spaghettibro
>>
>>43825290
>>43825306
Maybe some of those "deals" have more of one box of the same unit in the bundle.

That's the only reason i could thing for some of those bullshit prices.
>>
>>
>>43837553
They damn well better, otherwise the O&G one saves you a STAGGERING -$31.75
>>
>>43837545
It's not a secret.

You go in any of the facebook groups for buying and sell 40k stuff, and you'll find the shop owners that constantly sell 25+% off on everything.

If you don't have facebook or have your reasons, just google Ars Manufactorea.
>>
>>43829879
yep I did this too. but alone because I don't harbor any weird internet fantasies about having friends. you should work on that.

but yeah, people are saying that the ones that seem overpriced probably come with multiples of some kits to make up the difference. whatever, still pretty shitty "deals" unless you were going to buy every model in them anyway.
>>
>>43837567
The extra cost is because they packaged them all for you.
>>
>>43837175

Wait, wut.... is that a real picture?
>>
>>43830162
About EF though, what you do get savings on amount to a board game that might or might not be fun, 15 Cultists which I'd assume are the 3x the five in the small Cultist box, 3 snap-fit CSM and a (hopefully) multi-part Chaos Lord. You make a saving but on pretty crappy stuff.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.