[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why wouldn't you just build a robot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11
File: Robocop.jpg (72 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
Robocop.jpg
72 KB, 600x350
Why wouldn't you just build a robot?
>>
>>43822004

PR yo
>>
>>43822004
Because Cyborgs make my dick hard.
>>
>>43822004
Becouse it was a cyborg in the original. You can't make him a robot or there is no movie.
>>
>>43822020
This and this >>43822010

It is utterly retarded the way they have his prettt much just his face in the movie.
>>
>>43822004
You try to make a robot brain that can do everything s squishy brain can do, and then fit it in a robot that can navigate human buildings.
And then make it comfortably interact with humans.
Easier to just get a cop brain and hook it up.
>>
>>43822020
>Robocop
>he is actually a cyborg

BRAVO VERHOEVEN
>>
>>43822004

I was going to ask why you weren't posting this with the good Robocop, then I remembered they actually gave a good explanation in that movie.

Some bullshit metaphor about drones, I guess.
>>
>>43822070
Just not a very good exploit about "drones on US soil" law.
You cant ban it if it has a squishy parts, do you?
>>
because of the halting problem
>>
>>43822004
Making machines with good brains is hard? I mean his main competitor was defeated by walking down some stairs.
>>
File: 528px-Daleknew.jpg (69 KB, 528x599) Image search: [Google]
528px-Daleknew.jpg
69 KB, 528x599
>>43822168

Well, to be fair, stairs have stumped bigger threats than that in the past.
>>
>>43822168
>I had a guaranteed military sale with ED 209 - renovation program, spare parts for twenty-five years... Who cares if it worked or not?
>>
>>43822063
Verhoeven makes damn enjoyable movies, but it's hilarious how he always goes for deep and ends up with derp.
>>
>>43822004
They spent like the first half hour of the movie explaining why they couldn't just make actual robotic cops.
>>
>>43822353
In fairness if it wasn't for the stair related difficulties it would have been pretty impressive.
>>
>>43822095
Can't ban prosthetics now can you? The guy was just in a full body life support system for his brain.
>>
>>43822004
Why would you post that PG-13 mess Robocop op?
>>
>>43822004
Why wouldn't you just make a movie that's not a sequel or remake?
>>
>>43822353
It's not like the US military have wasted money on shit products before.
>>
>>43822063
>Catchy, corporate name invented by project host that knows shit about robotics, cybernetics and other that stuff
>Surprised it's stupid and makes zero sense outside of being catchy
Next thing you will complain about India ink being a Chinese invention or Arabic numerals coming from India.
>>
>>43822004

Because then you can't write an allegory about how dehumanizing capitalist American society is.

If the story was about a robot gaining sentience (see the hopelessly bourgeois movie Short Circuit), then it would be an uplifting tale about how liberating and humanizing technology is, and about the fantastic possibilities of life.

In cyberpunk, the robot HAS to be out of control. A cyborg HAS to be kept as a slave and dehumanized by his masters, finding liberation and rediscovering his humanity through rebellion.

Also, the only robocop is based Peter Weller.
>>
>>43822482

You know, french fries were invented in Belgium. And French's mustard is an American company.
>>
>>43822436
That quote can be applied to the F-35
>>
>>43822484
>Implying the remake is making any allegory at all
>Implying the remake understood what made the original so damn good
>Implying the remake is anything else but a stupid money grab on the wake of remakes of all the 80s hits

Still, you make a pretty good point. Sadly, the script writer didn't realise any of this obvious stuff
>>
>>43822496
or the XM8
>>
>>43822495
>French fries
You mean chips or just fries?
>>
>>43822518
I presume he means just fries. The idea that people never thought to cut up and fry potatoes is a bit too much for me to handle.
>>
>>43822514
XM8 is pretty based weapon. It's the classic case of based American industry applying heavy slander on competition for the sake of keeping the monopoly. In the end, good gun was wasted, just like billions of dollars, because some prick lobbied in the Senate.
>>
>>43822495
you do know French mustard is just a variety of mustard. Like English Mustard
>>
>>43822539
I will give you a clue - oil was fucking expensive until industrial processes were applied. Boiling potatoes in water? Sure. Wasting shit-tonne of oil? Not really.
It's more about finally being cost-efficient than anything else
>>
>>43822558
Couldn't you fry it with greese or fat or something? surly people fried things somehow back then.
>>
>>43822545
RIP fish gun
>>
From a realistic perspective, it's currently easier to build a well-functioning and powerful robot body with a brain-to-machine-interface, than an AI that could effectively control such body. The life support to keep such small part of a human alive is probably trickier than either, but I don't know much about that area of medical science.
>>
>>43822573
I will give you a clue. Go and try making fries using lard. Or greese. Go on, just try. But preferably do it outdoors
>>
>>43822596
To clarify: the best AIs that currently exists would be absolutely, totally worthless at any "Action"-oriented physical tasks.
>>
File: clap.jpg (11 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
clap.jpg
11 KB, 300x168
>>43822211
>>43822168
>>
>>43822610
Frying chips in lard is apparently not only doable, it is somehow healthier.
>>
>>43822619
They got one that can run and jump over stuff.
>>
>>43822656
But how well can it do so on it's own initiative? at DARPA robotics challenge earlier this year, it still took the best robots an absurd amount of time to do simple things such as "Open a door".

Curious what robot you're referring to tho. Link/name?
>>
>>43822656
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0TaYhjpOfo
>>
>>43822672
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_luhn7TLfWU
>>
>>43822675
>a weapon to surpass metal gear.avi
>>
>>43822688
I was thinking more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoCuIOirZUs
>>
>>43822675
Case in point. Full-body-cyborgs will most likely be possible long before competent humanoid robots.
>>
>>43822675
Now I'm no engineer but maybe if those robots weren't so top heavy they mightn't fall over so much.
>>
>>43822675
i remember the day of the contest
many laught where had on /m/
>>
>>43822705
Then they would not be humanoid.

We are super top heavy. But we can handle it because our brains can calculate what we need to do fast enough.
>>
>>43822732
I am bottom heavy. And even if I wasn't there is a clear difference between a human frame and most of those guys. The first one has arms longer than his legs.
>>
>>43822684
Oh yeah, quadruped robots seems to be coming along much better, as does autonomous flight. Two legs are haaard.

>>43822705
It might make it less likely, but humans with heavy backpacks don't fall over that often.
>>
>>43822748
Yeah but we figured out how to make a human stand upright without falling over thousands of years ago. They need to figure out how to walk before they can walk unbalanced.
>>
if you haven't watched this you should
https://vimeo.com/85903713
>>
>>43822764
It's almost like it took us several million years to get to that point.

The problem is just not enough computing power to be able to handle that stuff in real time.

Honestly the first Robots like thing will prob look more like Servitors than anything else.
>>
File: bigdog.jpg (196 KB, 400x307) Image search: [Google]
bigdog.jpg
196 KB, 400x307
>>43822788
Big dog-type robots are probably not far from being viable.
>>
>>43822826
Quadrupeds would be more viable for transportation and cargo haulage than for fighting, and even then, tracked and wheeled bots have an edge.
>>
>>43822896
The Big Dog, posted above, is meant as a "Squad support", carrying supplies, ammo, and in desperate cases, wounded squad-members. Legs means it can go wherever infantry can, including stairs, heavy rubble, and in mountains.
>>
>>43822004

When I played Maid RPG we had a maid character that speak with robot voice and her legs have inbuilt chainsaw (and she is not even a robot..)
>>
>>43822550
What does it even refers in english ? Dijon mustard or Violet mustard ?
>>
>>43823058
Where I come from most people just use it as a catch all term for any mustard that is made in France
>>
>>43822004
Why wouldn't you want to save the cop?
>>
>>43823080
So Dijon, fruit and wholegrain mustards ?
>>
By now I hoped some anon with a casual/student/professional interest in Medical technology would show up and say something informative on the viability of full-body cyborgs.
>>
>>43823132
Well they can already give you new arms. I imagine getting cyborg internal organs would be pretty hard.
>>
>>43822945
The quesiton is, why make a multi million dollar robot . . . when you can just buy a fucking donkey for less than $100 over in trashcanistan?
>>
>>43823170
Less bulletproof and more terrified off firefights. Also, the hopes are that robotics will eventually advance to the point where they're not multimillion units any more.
>>
>>43823170
Have you ever tried to get a donkey to do something it doesn't want to? There is a reason you don't see a lot of donkeys in the army.
>>
>>43822004
Because it'll murder you and all your investors in your boardroom and that's not cool.
>>
>>43822745
not every robot can be like you anon, engineering dat ass is even harder than making it a normal humanoid.
>>
>>43823132
It's probably possible, although our current life support organs are extremely inefficient, and often take up far more square footage than the equivalent squishy organ it's 'replacing' or filling in for.

Full body cyborgs are probably going to be surpassed by organ transplantation by the time we can actually make them. There's actually an italian doctor planning a head/full body transplant at the moment, so we'll see how that goes in 2 years time.
>>
>>43823170
>when you can just buy a fucking donkey for less than $100

Because you cannot program a donkey, and donkeys tend to freak the fuck out when they're shot at, usually to the detriment of all people in the area as they flail and bray and kick the shit out of anybody nearby. Big Dog is significantly more bulletproof, does not require food and water like its human squad members, and is not susceptible to emotions and panic like livestock.
>>
File: Robocop_cobra.jpg (62 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
Robocop_cobra.jpg
62 KB, 600x325
>>43822388
I'm not sure the military would be that interested in a battle droid that can't survive even one hit from a 50 caliber rifle.
>>
>>43822004
In the movie their excuse was that the law forbade the use of purely robotic police on American soil, requiring them to incorporate some human intelligence
>>
>>43827776
It was like some sort of experimental man portable railgun though. ed was tougher than robocop and robocop could casually walk through assault rifle fire.
>>
>>43822004
Did you just not watch it? Or the trailer?
>>
>>43822004
Uh, to save that guys life?
>>
File: watchbird.jpg (19 KB, 608x332) Image search: [Google]
watchbird.jpg
19 KB, 608x332
>>43827815
They had the right idea.
>>
>>43827815
>forbade the use of purely robotic police on American soil, requiring them to incorporate some human intelligence
You know how some groups want to ban sex dolls? I wonder if we could use the same logic to bypass the ban...
>tfw you'll never get grafted into the perfect form of shiny cold chrome and warm self-lubricating orifices with life-like texture
>>
>>43823170
Animals panic, Animals have to eat food, Animals have less endurance, Animals can't survive being shot, plus the unit costs would go down significantly when you start mass producing them.
>>
File: Grievous_tank.jpg (46 KB, 305x595) Image search: [Google]
Grievous_tank.jpg
46 KB, 305x595
They literally General Grievous'd him.
>burns, lost limbs, will be cripple
>pair of lungs, face + brain

literally General Grievous
>>
>>43827776

>50 caliber rifle
it was a state of the art bang bang gun
know your weapons bitch
>>
>>43822063
Cyborgcop doesn't roll off the tongue in the same way.
>>
>>43822896
So centaur warbots. I am suddenly more enthusiastic about our robot overlords.
>>
>>43829052
Ah, but Copborg...
>>
>>43822675
>>43822684
>>43822688
Since we seem to posting weapons to surpass metal gear...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVw9XnGghOg
>>
>>43822004
Cyborgs come with their own CPU and OS.
Next question.
>>
>>43822211
They can hover, and have always been able to do so.
>>
>>43822211
EL-E-VATE!
>>
>>43822063
ROBOticizedCOP

Besides, the first usage of the word Robot was in R.U.R in which the Robots were artifically created, but completely organic, humans.
>>
Because then you can't make a stupid anti-capitalist allegory based on discredited 1970s memes.

The drone-wrangler dude was in the right all along.
>>
>>43822004
So you never watched the movie, or even the original. Gotcha.
>>
>>43822211

Daleks can fly, stop shitposting.
>>
>>43830030
It's a Schumpeterian vs Coasian distinction.

In the mid-1900s, "people being twisted into machines" was a common fear. The 00s and fall of the corporation (or alternately, rise of capitalism) made that trop obsolete because it was easier to make machines to do a machines job than use humans - first with lights-out factories, but ultimately popularized through military drones in the 00s.
>>
>>43830368

they couldn't until about season 7.
>>
>>43831193
According to one of the creators, they always have been able to but due to budget and prop constraints they never had a chance to show it so they just pretended the Daleks were doing it off screen and never mentioned it.
>>
>>43822004
I imagine the human brain will outpace AI well after the singularity.
>>
>>43831424
That's not what "the singularity" means.
>>
>>43822004
Because trapping a faithful civil servant in a perverse dickless metal mockery of life is better for PR.
>>
File: aluminum surfer.jpg (82 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
aluminum surfer.jpg
82 KB, 450x600
>>43822061
this is what the movie SHOULD have been, since it's exactly true in real life, but instead they quite literally said robots were perfect and better than a cyborg, then demonstrated it in excruciating detail, turning Robocop into a lame defective dude. They never even go the route of "his human side gives him an edge over the AI!" He is just a bad, more expensive robot that has the ability to disobey them and fuck up their plans, and he only exists as a PR stunt. Snore.

Also, traditional games.
>>
>>43822610
You are aware that real fries (and the best and tastiest) are made with duck fat, right? RIGHT ?
>>
>>43822004
Pattern recognition is intensely baked in to the human brain, and unless we hit a huge jump in AI tech, we're still going to have baby level AI.
Also people respond much better to a human shaped thing questioning them than a car shaped thing
>>
>>43822004
Its illegal to have robots policing the American populace. They have a scene specifically stating this as well as demonstrating that they are way better than humans as cops.

So they use Murphy to get around this law as well as secretly turn him into a robot.
>>
File: Quest hook.jpg (225 KB, 686x716) Image search: [Google]
Quest hook.jpg
225 KB, 686x716
>>43822353
>>43822388
>>43822436
>>43827776
The military spent money on this:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
>>43834280
THIS
The whole point of the original ED-209s was that they were emblematic of the stupidity of the military industrial complex. Everything about them was meant to imply that a committee of lawyers and accountants with no engineering knowledge were told to design a machine that 1) Uses parts made in the right senator's districts, 2) requires replacement parts as often as possible, and 3) looks cool on recruitment posters.

They fucked up the modern updating of the whole thing as well. The problem with modern military drones is that they AREN'T that good- they can't tell the difference between an enemy combatant and a kid with a stick, between a wedding and a terrorist meeting, between a hospital and a stronghold.
>>
>>43837877
hey, the Bradley performed pretty well.
>>
>>43822004
BECAUSE THERE WAS A LAW SAYING USE OF DRONES ON AMERICAN SOIL IS ILLEGAL YOU FUCKING COCKWIPE
WATCH THE FUCKING MOVIE NEXT TIME
>>
File: m247_sergeant_york_l3.jpg (117 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
m247_sergeant_york_l3.jpg
117 KB, 768x576
>>43837877
Also this
>>
>>43822004
FUCK YOU OP I HAD BLOCKED THAT SHITTY REMAKE OUT OF MY MEMORY FUUUIHGKFJDKSNSJ
>>
>>43822004
I heard a really good justification for this on the radio recently. Paraphrasing

>Robot-Cop is patrolling a road one night, it sees a dark concrete building in a siding.
>Stood in the doorway, partially illuminated by a flickering light is a bright faced clown
>He's holding a sign saying "free hugs"

>Robot computes: clowns are good, hugs are good, nothing to see here
>>
>>43837877
I don't know. Ed 209 had potential.
>>
>>43822004
Cyborgs are superior.
>>
>>43822004
Police work is a fuzzy logic problem. Humans have superior fuzzy logic processing power to machines.
>>
>>43837877
The Bradley was actually a reasonable design that turned out to work well for decades and is still in use today.

It's retarded how people keep taking this shitty comedy seriously. The colonel they got the design from was an incompetent who got salty when people ignored his input and eventually wrote a crappy book about it.

Using that to criticize the MIC is a blatant straw man founded on ignorance of the MIC. Which I suppose is appropriate, because Verhoeven's satires against the MIC were usually distorted strawmen.
>>
>>43838392

Yes, but that was after decades of scope creep and the people involved losing sight of the original goal, and designing something completely different.

The Bradley is a decent vehicle, but what people criticize is the development process
>>
>>43822004
That from the new Robocop movie? Because they flat out state it there. They use robots for policing all over the world but the Americans aren't comfortable being policed by machines. The cyborg robocop's meant to get them gradually used to the idea (being seen by the public as more sympathetic and trustworthy due to its humanoid components) so that eventually the company could sell them police robots.
>>
>>43838264
Giving you at least three times as much time as some Chicago Police Officers before turning your into a sieve.
>>
New robocop is indeed a pale imitation, but that scene where they reveal he's just a face, some organs, and a hand is great.
>>
>>43838955
And that development process mostly consisted of freaking out over the BMP-1.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.