[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wishing Upon a Dark Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: demon.jpg (760 KB, 1110x1080) Image search: [Google]
demon.jpg
760 KB, 1110x1080
What are some good rules to govern making a deal with a demon?

It always being a nonequivalent exchange (the demon will always receive more than what it gives) is a good start, but how do you keep it more interesting than "you get monkey-paw'd and then dragged into the Abyss"?
>>
To even ask for a contract requires a significant sacrifice from you, and the demon isn't even obligated to listen.
>>
>>43821570
Nine times out of ten, they'll offer you something that you want in return for something bigger that you don't appreciate until it's gone.

And then, when you realize that trading in your beauty was a bad idea because of how ugly people are treated, they'll show up and offer to give it back in return for something else...
>>
You lie, you die.
You try to back out of the deal, you die.
Wear the wrong color? You die.
>>
>>43821570

The best thing is about deals with demons is that they DON'T fuck you over. They deliver what they promise to straight up without trying to dick you over, however, they make their terms crystal clear and iron clad.

They will grant you X item for Y price, however, once the deal is done it is absolutely done and you cannot change the outcome no matter how much you realize you fucked up.

>I will grant you complete immortality, including eternal youth and advanced healing, whenever you decide you do not wish to live any more I will take you to hell.
>>
I prefer microtransactions.

First, there's the calling price, the price to contact the demon to begin with. For minor demons it might be as simple as a material sacrifice, but for major demons the death of a sentient being might be required.

Then, the summoning price, which is effectively the cost of transporting the demon from its home plane (and back after the negotiations).

Following that, there is the bondage price, which is given over in order to help appease the demon, and to convince it to not take offense at the wards placed around it.

Then, there's the negotiating price, which is paid over to establish that the demon will engage in the negotiation with the intent to fulfill its end of the bargain as well as to prevent any direct falsehoods.

Then there's the actual deal, which has its own price, and is usually the most costly sacrifice.

Then there's the payment for the special contract materials, the invocation candles, the abyssal incense, the wall hangings to improve the room's ambiance, catering, parking costs, the new braziers, and dinner with the demon after the contract is signed.
>>
>>43823143
They will cut and bleed you dry. I like this. Truelly evil.
>>
This thread reminds of Fable number 122 and 123 where there's a woman that can collect and assigns fates. She uses this power to make bargains.
>>
The proper demonic contract should offer two things. First, certainty - once the contract is made, the contract is forever. The demon will never betray you - it won't lie, cheat, go back on its word, or interfere with the terms as stated. But neither will you. Demonic contracts have no outs. Nobody will find them unconscionable. Nobody will find them impracticable or impossible. If you aren't happy with the deal, your only "out" is to make a new deal, under its terms, paying its price.

I think the most important part of this aspect is that the demon shouldn't try to mislead you either. That's a good way to ensure you never get repeat customers. If a demon promises power, you're getting power. If a demon promises you wealth, you're getting wealth. The demon wants you to be happy with what you're getting - because of part two.

The second part to a demonic contract is that the demon will never, ever offer you what you really want. It'll offer you what you're asking for, and it might offer what you think you want, but it'll always make sure that the offer won't truly fulfill you. It will never offer happiness. It will never offer respect. It will never offer love. It wants to wait years, then have you say "you know what? I asked for the wrong thing." Because that's where you're coming back to it, and that's when it really gets you.

Last thing is the price. The price should always hurt, but it should always feel worth it. You should always believe you got the better end of the bargain. It's only in retrospect that you should realize how much it hurts. The price should never invalidate the contract, though - see rule 2. But if possible, it should create a bigger gulf between "asked for" and "really wanted."

Also, don't go for souls. Souls are boring prices at this point, and Gods have a bad habit of undoing them. Besides, if the demon does it right, I time you'll be giving up your soul to them anyway.
>>
>>43821570
demons have a tendency to ask for blank checks. You pay an admission price of sacrificing X to get them on the phone. Then they give you whatever you want, and in return they can call upon you in the future for a "favor", anything, anytime, any place. Maybe it's something simple like "go kill that girl" or maybe they eat your soul.
>>
>>43823742
>Demonic contracts have no outs.

I always like for there to be at least one out. Something like that the contract is written on an indestructible parchment, but if you can figure out how to destroy it, you can negate the contract.
>>
Played in a game where a character made a deal with a high up demoness in exchange for the life of his firstborn child. His wish was to impregnate the demoness, thereby creating his firstborn child.

Not a very sensible plot point, but the DM allowed it because he thought it was funny that the guy risked and went through all that, just to lose his v-card. He did get kicked out of magic academy for it though.
>>
>>43821570
>rules
>D&D demons
They're CHAOTIC you fucktard.
>>
>>43826654
Yes, and...?
>>
>>43826654
>D&D demons
come on now
>>
>>43821570
Make deals with devils. You make a deal with a demon - I do not feel bad for you.

I do like how D&D devils will sometimes try to ensure that you basically die soon anyways to get the quickest return then again souls are valuable to them.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.