[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the highest power leveled campaign you've played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1444482406227.png (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1444482406227.png
2 MB, 1280x720
What's the highest power leveled campaign you've played in? Any system.
>>
>>43818422
Psion in a level 15 D&D 3.5 campaign.
>>
>>43818422
Mutants and Masterminds PL 10, the one I'm in now
>>
>>43818518
How is it going so far?
>>
Official level, probably a D&D game that went up to level 15 (I think).

Unofficial level, a world making game where we played as gods for awhile, before switching to regular denizens.
>>
I played a character who had the following "Paths":

>He Who Sough The Cage
>The Fortunate Scholar
>The Man Who Sold the World
>The Could Have Been King
>Coiled Thunder
>Mercury Untempered
>Perfect Mind
>Pure Is the Man Who Speaks His Heart

It was a weird game and a weird homebrew. These titles and paths did... thing? It was... freeform but very rules heavy? Except I wasn't allowed to know the rules, just choose things from lists and get things assigned to me after taking personality tests and accomplishing thing.
>>
>>43818572
I have a GM who does that too, hypes up everything. We never get to those levels though so it's overall disappointing. Do you enjoy that kind of system anyways? I do just for the mystery, I guess.
>>
Played in ever? Mutants and Masterminds, I played as the Great Cthulhu, defender of the Earth. But that was a one shot.

Played in continuously? The one I'm in now, a timeline hopping Chrono-Trigger game set in a fantasy universe.
>>
>>43818528
It's fucking awesome! Last session our team got hit with a shrunk ray, we had to fight off a few thughs who wanted to squash us and after we survived had to come up with a plan to stop the villain from getting into a vault full of superweapons!
>>
>>43818636
*shrinking ray
Fucking tablet
>>
>>43818587
I have no idea if I'm enjoying it. Maybe? I think that's supposed to be ambiguous too.
>>
>>43818422
Shadowrun 4e, Prime Runner team working for a Private Military Contractor. Things get crazy even for Shadowrun standards. Like, MGR-tier crazy.
>>
Scion, 12 Legend
>>
>>43818422
level 9 fighter in pathfinder, tanked an aoe ice effect from an ice dragon while my party rained down two fireballs directly on us. He needed to die before he activated the mcguffin. Survived it even after he activated the mcguffin
>>
>>43818422
Highest I've done was a game I ran where the MC was a washed up magical girl looking for fulfillment and brushing the rust off of her Sailor Moon Tier bullshit powerset that she hadn't used in 16 years. She was powerful enough that back in her prime, she ignited a concept in the world that would make other Magical Girls exist, which (with her parents both dead) let her retire to raise her baby brother and sister.
>>
>>43818422
Homebrew Homestuck session, where the players were all either in the God Tiers or had endgame-tier equipment and powers. Got pretty crazy by the end of it.
>>
I once did a 3.5 campaign that used variant rules and houserules out the ass to ramp up the power level.

>Level 12 gestalt, waiving the rule against gestalting two prestige classes at the same level
>Everybody gets free Toughness, Improved Toughness, and Leadership feats
>Stats increase by 2 at every 4th level (rather than the usual 1)
>Can take epic feats as if epic level (though other prereqs besides level still need to be met)
>All non-caster classes got bonus feats as fighter, casters get bonus feats as wizard (actual fighters and wizards get this on top of their normal bonus feats). These extra feat slots can be used for any epic feat, in addition to the normal stuff they apply toward
>Obscenely huge starting wealth (180k gp plus a full set of masterwork gear), with the DM working with us to apply that toward airships and political contacts/influence and shit if we wanted
>Damage multipliers for every so much you exceed the target's AC by with an attack
>Spell level adjustment for metamagic could be paid off by burning some combination of lower-level spell slots

And probably several more things I'm not remembering, it was a glorious over-the-top clusterfuck.
>>
>>43818422
Rogue Trader.
A colony displeased me, so after a good half-hour of shelling, it and the surrounding area ceased to exist.
>>
DM'd a game of 3.5 D&D all the way to level 47
Ask me anything
>>
>>43818865
what system? how the fuck did you accomplish alchemy?
>>
>>43819059
From level 1?
How long did it take?
>>
>>43819074
Started at level 3, because fuck playing 3.5 at level 1
Took 8 or 9 years, played weekly, almost the same group throughout
>>
>>43819059
what was the world like in the beginning and how fucked was it in the end
>>
>>43819059
How the fuck did you avoid GM burnout?
>>
>>43819079
Did no one die? How did you manage to pull that off? What kind of campaign did you do?
>>
>>43819080
Started standard D&D fare, evil wizards being dicks
Ended with all worlds being torn apart by all-out deity war and unified Abyss eating everything
Characters were Intermediate deities by this point

>>43819120
I live for DMing
Some weeks I'm like fuck this holy shit these rules what the actual fuck, but I just tossed it and kept making shit up.
>>
>>43819149
Handful of character deaths, but party was mostly the same. There were a couple levels with guest characters when people felt like playing different classes.
Some characters that died early got resurrected later.
Once party had resurrections, they played a little more ballsy and the deaths racked up. Most of epic level was a both-sides slaughter.
>>
>>43818422

>I'll never be in/run a system similar to that of pic related because everyone in my group and pretty much everyone in my town doesn't see the appeal of ERPG inspired systems, and hates Asia.

Life's difficult when you live in the middle of butt-fuck no where, Australia.

That being said, Level 14 Warlock DnD 4e. Group got bored and went back to 3.5
>>
>>43819156
how the fuck did you keep scaling combat
there's a fine line between too easy and outright punishment and that line gets thinner with every level
>>
>>43819294
For some fights I just didn't give a fuck, both ways. Sometimes it was time for them to just annihilate something, and I'm told it felt damn good.
When the ass-whopping was coming their way, it was important to let clever solutions from the players work. The old say "yes, but" advice.

Because there was no way to 'balance' a damn thing, you just slap some numbers down and learn for next time. Even before epic, 3.5 becomes 'rocket tag' (I don't know if people still use these old phrases).
>>
>>43819357
was there any point where you just stopped letting players roll for certain things because it was a guaranteed success or did you keep setting things higher
>>
>>43819442
Thanks to the way skills work in 3.5, auto-successes became the norm.
When they wanted to do big stuff, like pulling fast ones on lords of planes and such, then it was time to roll.
Most mage characters almost never rolled just because 3.5, fighty characters still rolled because they were all doing gigantic Power Attacks on everything all the time.

ACs were completely retarded. You either had a 20 or a 60+.

Last quarter of the game they were gods interacting with other gods, so rolling needed to happen.
And just for general ideas of how successful they were in gaining/leading/inspiring followers.
>>
>>43818422
HERO/Champions. We're up to some-odd 480 points and still playing it.
>>
>>43818422
Dragon Ball Z. Freeform.

Granted, it only got to mountain and skyscraper destroying levels. No planets blowing up and shit.
>>
Bumping, please tell me some high-powered stories
>>
File: Dinner party yay.jpg (53 KB, 648x427) Image search: [Google]
Dinner party yay.jpg
53 KB, 648x427
>>43818636
The first of my session with the group was an amazing experience, for me.
One night I was looking through the LFG section of Roll20 for a superhero game of Mutants and Masterminds and I found one that would fill my saturday evening really nicely, to say the least.
So I hit up the GM and we exchange ideas, I ask him questions and everything goes extremely well.
I join the campaign with another new guy (the group consisted of 3 players, the GM, plus 2 newbies -me and the other)
So we are introduced as super-powered people who want to become part of the superhero team (kind of like the justice league, only metropolis-sized for now)
We play a game of keep-the-ball (me and the new guy vs the two old guys) to learn how the dice work a bit before we get further into the action.
After that short game we lost, we get a call that there's two strange reports.
One that indicates there's a retired supervillain roaming the streets of the city and another that there is a strange animal milling about in dark alleyways.
So we split the team in two (the seniors want to investigate the ex-supervillain who was sighted) and me and the other new guy go check out what that ruckus about an animal is about.
So our local green arrow, who is also our sneak and face-y kind of guy walks into this italian restaurant where the supervillain had been going; our not!ironman was scouting the area, ready to swoop in if something went badly.
So not!GA is then brought to a private room where "the others" had already went. "The others" being a bunch of retired supervillains which he had already heard and read about: they were all wearing their old costumes.
After a bit of awkward silence he asks what's up and, to his surprise, the rival of the superhero that our team had replaced after his death, replies that the guys wanted to throw him a bachelor party.
As if on cue a maid wheels in a big-ass cake, from which a dancer lady bursts out.
>>
File: Like this.jpg (124 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
Like this.jpg
124 KB, 500x383
>>43821383
After a flustered supervillain groom-to-be stammers that they really shouldn't have, our not!GA bows out and wishes them a good party.
Over at our end, though, me and the new guy were looking in the alleyway mentioned in the report, when something cat-sized jumped out and outright attacked us.
After trying to peck me a few, my teammate tried frying it with a bolt of lightning, missing it: it was pretty darn fast.
Luck would have it that I managed to grab it and, since I am our local big guy I could very well hold it still without it escaping.
My teammate whacked it over the head with his staff regardless, knocking it out.
As we checked it out, it looked as if it was wounded, but not quite, and cold, as if dead.
Anyways, we brought it back to HQ and met up with the other two, exchanged reports and gave the bird over to our not!ironman, who then examined it.
The GM exchanged notes with him and he swore. When we got into his lab he looked rather flustered about something, so we inquiried a little bit further and arranged a meeting.
There he explained that the animal was dead, but lived again after somebody had used nanomachines that his company was developing into its system. Our colleague was working on nanomachines to resurrect people.
We couldn't end the meeting because suddently there was another report of a warehouse in the industrial zone where very unsettling noises were heard.
After arriving and letting GA stealth around a bit, we discovered that there were a lot more zombie animals milling about in the warehouse: the same that were missing from the zoo since a few days. That made our ironman swear a bit more.
But we went in and killed them all: in the process, we also found several corpses of scientists that were a part of a fanclub for the previous superhero, which we were the replacement for. Since they had been dicks to us over the internet and the media, we were not really sad about it.
>>
File: SuperZombie.jpg (140 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
SuperZombie.jpg
140 KB, 900x1165
>>43821501
Ironman explained that his nanomachines were still in development though and there hadn't been any results yet: he checked the computer of the scientists and found the missing thing to make the animals walk around again... it was the previous superhero's regeneration factor, which they had been able to put through his DNA into the zombie animals.
The next day we find out that the grave in which that superhero was put had been dug upen and his body was missing. And also, there were reports of a strange caped red-and-blue person jumping around and "helping" people, usually doing more damage than anything else.
We went looking around, of course, as GA warned the supervillain he had seen yesterday of the hero's zombification: you see, the reformed villain had decided, in fact, to marry his rival's ex-girlfriend. And the wedding was planned for the next day.
Only our Ironmand was lucky or unlucky, as it would turn out to encounter the SuperZombie. After seeing a walking-talking metalman, the zombie attacked.
After a few blows, though, he buggered off, leaving a slightly-dented battlesuit to wait for us to see if there were any injuried civilians in the skyscraper they had damaged during their fight.
The wedding between the ex-supervillain and the ex-girlfriend of a dead superhero was a pretty huge deal: there were reporters everywhere, even helicopters to broadcast it all.
Our team decided that it was a good idea to keep an eye out on the wedding, just in case the Superzombie decided to be a party crasher and fuck everyone's day up.
So we were flying, jumping or walking around, patrolling and sure enough there comes the Superzombie with huge fucking leaps, looking quite fucking pissed.
I couldn't blame him.
Initiatives were rolled, everyone got in position, our ironman blasted the superzombie when he landed and then I tackled him on top of that at the end of one of my leaps, punching him in the face.
>>
File: Wedding.jpg (26 KB, 610x203) Image search: [Google]
Wedding.jpg
26 KB, 610x203
>>43821640
Green arrow also got in position and shot a tangleweb, ensnaring an enraged SuperZombie, who lashed out at me and missed.
The other newbie then got here aswell and lifted the SuperZombie so that he couldn't move from the spot he was levitated as, probably because of null-gravity... I'm not sure.

Anyway, our seniors decided that violence is overrated anyway and talked to the SZ, who appeared to have retained a little bit of intelligence after being partially resurrected; as they start to explain the situation to him, he seems to calm down... that's until one of the guest-supervillains jumped at him and punched him! So I decided that he was a dick and needed to go and punched him in the armor, without managing to do any damage because of a crit-fail. I got punched by him for my troubles and sent flying.

Having distracted that guy, my companions were able thanks to some very good rolls to calm down the justifiably pissed SZ once more. He was then let back down on solid ground and led away by a bunch of scientists working in the biggest laboratory of the metropolis dealing with superpowered humans and others.
He looked very sad.

Me and the supervillain were separated by the ground-controlling groom and the wedding resumed without further delays: after putting SZ in the care of the capable scientists, we went back to HQ and called it a day.
>>
I played a game based in the Guran Lagan universe. Things got out of hand. Fast.
>>
>>43818422
My GM did a side story for our Exalted campaign where we played our First Age incarnations for a few sessions. The combination of POWER OVERWHELMING and "Don't worry, you're SUPPOSED to be a shortsighted ass" made things get very silly very quickly.

I (Zenith solar) spent a session going around social-fuing people into worshiping one of their neighbors, who in turn was made to worship another person, and so on until I ran out of people to brainwash.
The whole nation turned into a ridiculous game of commandment telephone where people would order their worshipper to order their worshipper to do X, while trying to get out of doing what their god's god told them to do (since I never set it up as a pantheon or instilled a respect for hierarchy, everyone revered only the one person and scorned the one that their object of worship worshipped as a pretender).
It lasting a surprisingly long time before collapsing into a million tiny crusades because everyone was forced to want to protect their god and their own worshipper, which meant that most of the time protecting their god's god or worshipper's worshipper was also encouraged. Only people far apart in the chain could act against each other freely, but they focused so much on those who were more directly linked that they didn't take advantage of it.

Eventually a Sidereal slipped in and managed to convince them all down the chain that I was a devil whispering in their follower's ear (which really wasn't all that inaccurate) and in the middle of my next visit I unexpectedly found myself in the crosshairs of the city's entire compliment of essence weapons, which kept me distracted until the Sid and his Dragonblooded swooped in.
It was fun.
>>
>>43818572
Reminds me of kingdom death. We get to choose all these titles and accolades for us and our society but we aren't allowed to know what they do until after we choose them. The mystery of it is what makes the game fun
>>
>>43818422
An homebrew system and setting campaign that lasted for seven years, and stopped because the group split up. it was basically Chtulhu Dragonball with swords, where people could shoot giant lasers, create black holes and ground-zero cities as collater damage for a 1vs1 duels.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.