[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, we always hear a lot about shitty players and shitty GMs.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: matt mercer.jpg (147 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
matt mercer.jpg
147 KB, 970x545
So, we always hear a lot about shitty players and shitty GMs. What are some times when a GM (or player, really) has just been awesome and really made the campaign for you?

Let's get a This Guy appreciation thread going. We've heard enough about That Guy.
>>
>>43818236
He let me live despite failing five save rolls in a row.
>>
>>43818236

He let me live despite completely failing combat against a giant spider. Turns out it had paralyzing poison rather than >>43818236
any other kind.
>>
>>43818236
The GM knew I didn't want to keep playing my character, even though I hadn't said anything. Guy reads people well.

So he put us in a situation where only I could save us and only through self sacrifice. I got to go out like a champ and start a new character I was more interested in.
>>
Is Mercer some kind of brilliant anti-example? Because that railroading fuck couldn't build an arc if God told him he had to save two of every animal.
>>
I don't want to toot my own horn, because I will be the first one to admit I'm a very amateur DM, not one of those dudes who's had 20 years working at the craft. I've been at it for about 3 years or so now.

But I recently ran the first session of a new group's campaign the other day, and while discussing things after the fact, the players mentioned to me that it was one of the best games they've ever played and they were all giddy and up all night talking about it afterwards.

This is...not something I've ever heard before, so it was nice.
>>
>>43818297
>Because that railroading fuck couldn't build an arc if God told him he had to save two of every animal.
I laughed way too hard at this. Thanks Anon.
>>
File: laughing starfleet.gif (674 KB, 245x180) Image search: [Google]
laughing starfleet.gif
674 KB, 245x180
>>43818297

>that railroading fuck couldn't build an arc if God told him he had to save two of every animal.
>>
File: lelfmobile.jpg (183 KB, 1008x600) Image search: [Google]
lelfmobile.jpg
183 KB, 1008x600
>>43818297
>>
>>43818293
What kind of hints did you give? I'm curious so I can make sure my players are well.
>>
>>43818297
>>
>>43818297
I love Matt's acting, and it makes me wish my high, nasally voice made for cool-sounding characters. I try, but I'm not hi,

Howerver, I have to agree somewhat with his idea of "story arcs". His campaign consists almost entirely of players handling backstory stuff, and because he is trying to cram all the player's stories into the streamed game and he knows he only has about a year to do it, he rushes through way too much stuff. He basically forgoes character development and relationships for pretend development that the players just create because they're clearly conditioned to embrace NPCs on the spot rather than build actual feelings for them naturally over time, since the game likely doesn't stay in the same place long enough for that.

I love his DMing in-game, I love how invested the players are, and I would give many body parts to have a group half as excited to show up every week. But as a DM, I value my storycraft so much more than he seems to. Racing through a narrative too fast is like, the biggest cardinal sin I can never bear to commit.
>>
>>43818318
More interest in my friends characters than in my own, talked a lot about other builds I thought were interesting, didn't show any concern when my character almost died, nearly sacrificed myself once before for almost no reason. I wasn't suicidal, but I also wasn't doing much to preserve myself.
>>
The other players wanted to play a game in a kids show setting, and I was really not looking forward to it. The DM has always been good but I didn't think she'd even be able to run a game for it, let alone a good game, and certainly I didn't think it was going to be able to hold my interest. Against all odds though it's been a lot of fun and quite interesting, and I'm enjoying myself. I'm even inclined to say it's the best game she's ever run so far, which makes me curious if it's because it's a source material they all liked already, and enjoy it all the more for being a tabletop game now.
>>
>>43818236
We played a 10 year BASIC D&D campaign just to prove that you can roleplay with any system. I hate D&D, levels, hit points and classes, but it was amazing. We all invested so much time and effort into that game and the GM did so much hard work, letting us do pretty much whatever we wanted.
GM - I salute you!
>>
>>43818356
Wait, why does he only have approx. a year to get the player's stories into the streamed game? I thought Critical Role was one of the better success stories for the Geek and Sundry label and would want to keep it going at the current pacing.

Admittedly, said pacing does seem a bit hasted/forced and doesn't seem to allow for the players to have a chance to sit down and think things through, but there's also like 2 years' worth of plot and character development that happened in the world prior to the stream starting up.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.