[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fire Emblem: The Tides of War v1.1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
Hey /tg/. Might have seen my old game here floating around the board since last year (or not). Wanted to drop by and say that after a year of hiatus, I've updated the core game to include more content from the Fire Emblem series, including the shifting races of the Laguz and the Manaketes, and the Support system. It's also received a little cosmetic overhaul, going from bland to plastered in art from the series.

For those who don't know, Fire Emblem: The Tides of War is a system meant to recreate the Fire Emblem series in its entirety while balancing everything for campaigns and skirmishes.

I had to compress the pdf so 4chan would accept it but if you want the core rulebook in better quality you can head to the wordpress site on the second page which is where I'll be hosting this game indefinitely

Hope you guys like it
>>
>>43816727
readan, will give feedback
>>
File: gundamamurocake.gif (2 MB, 238x158) Image search: [Google]
gundamamurocake.gif
2 MB, 238x158
>>43817036
Nervously awaiting opinion
>>
>>43817036
>>43817128
I have not seen this before, so going through from the start. Feel free to ignore any suggestions, because god damn on the whole this is actually pretty well adapted.

Bride in the ToC is not italicised, same with Great Knight

Archer seems more underpowered than any other class, which, while true to the game, is kinda unfair, maybe remove the -2def penalty? Sniper doesnt make up for it's early stages at all.

>funny hat not required
>not
boo you whore

Maybe limit the amount of lords/strategists in the party? They are seriously versatile, and an army of Hectors is too ridiculous to contemplate

Pirate being slow is kinda meh. maybe swap the speed penalty to a defense penalty?

Maybe swap the Soldier penalty to a -1? thats just punishing to the poor nameless rank and file. Either that or further bonuses to the Halberdier

General deserves a bigger buff to defense, that armour is always bonkers. They should be expecting to hit the cap by level 10

Ok, going on to manaketes now
>>
leveling basically says "fuck you if you rolled low base stats" which is really dumb cause if you start out screwed you stay screwed forever without lucky rolls.
>>
>>43817263 again
>>43817274
This, holy shit levelling is broken, give each class a d20 roll-under or something

Maybe give, say, a Knight a 75% DEF roll, and a 20% SPD or something. As it is, levelling jjust means that you'll have blisteringly fast knights and slow-ass cavaliers just because stat rolls were unbalanced
>>
>>43817263
Thanks, I'll go back and reformat.

I agree with the Archer penalty. I'll probably change that

Funny hat will be required for Lords

I considered some kind of maximum class capacity but I didn't know if it was unfair to other players or whatnot. None of my playtesters played a Lord/Tactician so I've no relevant data for them.

Agreement on Pirates and Soldiers

>>43817274
>>43817318
The varying stat growths were meant to reflect on how some units could vary in performance while being of the same class (ie Gatrie being a fast knight while Tauroneo having higher Str or whatnot). Low base stats were a problem I encountered but forgot to address due to being a single person working on a big project. In hindsight this was leaning more to being faithful to the series and not very balanced

How does this sound?
>players who roll under a certain average may reroll their lowest dice roll under they reach or surpass the threshold, leading to stats spreads that tend to avoid being too low?

>forego base stat rolling in favor of a point pool that players can distribute over their stats? Ex A total of 50 points or whatever that offer plenty of customization while allowing units to still be good at their main role?
>>
Hot garbage. If I wanted to play a pen and paper game that was a straight port of the fire emblem videogames, I'd just print out the relevant sections of the wiki.

And honestly if you're going for a true experience, for a similar amount of effort the DM can make a ROM hack of any of the GBA games to use as a board.
>>
>>43817318
WEXP required is way too low a total, one battle later and a guy goes from E to C.

Maybe up the uses on A and S weapons? No-one wants to hold onto a good weapon and never use it because you can only smack something with it 20 times and it breaks.

>>43817395
>maximum class capacity
that would be good

>forego base rolling
nah, leave it. Honestly, the vagaries of the dice are perfectly good at never rolling the 60% but rolling the 20% four times in a row. Maybe add an addendum that a player can, with GM approval, swap around two of their stat gains in the roll-under i suggested? so instead of a 70% SKL and a 40% STR, you can swap them and have a slower, thuggish thief?
>>
>>43817454
OK, thats it. All in all a pretty good adaptation.
>>43817399
>Hot garbage
And it is designed to be a port of the video games with the tweaks necessary to be played on tabletop. Just porting the games straight would result in all kinds of sillyness
>just make a ROMhack
As someone who helped out on one of those, you have no idea how difficult and time-consuming that can get
>>
>>43817399
I respect your opinion but some people like the concept. My personal tabletop group loved the system and I've had about 5 other groups online say that they've run the system and enjoyed it as well. Can I at least ask if you read it or not?

>>43817454
Funny thing is that WEXP was lowered because I felt too paranoid about ranks being too hard to gain. I'd be happy to change it back

Is maximum class capacity something other systems do out of curiosity? I've never personally heard of it before so I wasn't sure about implementation. Lords, Tacticians, and Manaketes would easily fall under the ruling though

And your comment on your roll-under method is a bit confusing to me for some reason. Maybe due to working on this so long I'm a bit tired.

Are you suggesting that players may reassign the dice they use for base stats freely? That's already a ruling players can invoke freely. Players can roll their dice and assign the dice they want to the stat they want.
>>
>>43817516
Definately put in a limit for Manaketes, they're endgame allies, not main-game soldiers.

OK, so in game every class has a series of % that are required to gain a stat. This is basically a direct port of the system used in-game. See http://www(DOT)feshrine.net/fe7/char_growthrates.php

Where it says 80% chance of growth, that means that a character has a 4/5 chance-or, a 16/20 chance. So at each level up, a player rolls a d20 six times, and each time they roll equal or under the required amount, they gain a point. This is piss-easy to adapt. So a fighter might gain

STR-15
MAG-4
SKL-8
SPD-10
DEF -12
RES-8

Each time they level, and roll 6d20. For example, the results might be 6, 12, 8, 15, 3, 20. This means they gain STR, do not gain MAG, gain SKL (just), do not gain SPD, gain DEF and do not gain RES.
>>
>>43817395
I also realized that when I mentioned the base stat average and point pool ideas I meant to say either one, not both.

>forego all rolls but if your rolls are under average you can reroll

I'm not that retarded I swear

>>43817671

Manaketes were the first that came to mind honestly.

And it looks like you adapted the same system I did but instead of d20s I used d8s. What would be the advantage of d20s over d8s in this case of attempting the same principles?
>>
>>43817744
>Adapted the same system
Not really, the base stats are the same, the levelling is the problem. The d20 system does not rely on base stats for advancement. If a thief rolls poorly for SPD (1-2), then they are gimped until they get lucky repeatedly. Whereas with my system, they still roll 1d8 for starting skills, but then the gain rates are independent. So a starting thief might be slow as dogshit, but after ten levels it'll have the same chance to gain the same quantity of skill points as a thief that rolled perfectly. Whereas with your levelling system, a slow thief is going to stay slow forever unless they can somehow repeatedly roll 1's every level. Also, a thief or mage should not gain STR at the same rate as a knight if they all end up equaling 5 STR. Just my two cents-the levelling system is unnecessarily clunky and changes one of the easiest functions to port to tabletop. The way gains happen is biased towards all classes finalising at the same level, and a cleric or sage shouldnt have the same STR as a paladin, which is something that happens fairly easily in this system.

I have to go for a drive now, so goodnight
>>
>>43817905
I see what you mean now anon. I should change my comment to based off of the same system, not adapted.

I see the merits of your suggestion and will probably toy around with utilizing it in someway. My main concern now is finding a method to reliably generate usable growth rates. So far I've mainly considered this method

>standard array of growth rates with the ability to customize said growth rates with a pool of points that each add +5 to a growth

For example, a player would be presented with something akin to

> 14/12/12/10/8/6 (obviously not the final numbers)

After rearranging them to their preferred stats,, a player would then be able to spend a pool of 7 or so growth points that they can use to further customize their growths, so they player might opt for

>16/14/14/10/9/6

This would lead to consistent results while leaving the rates themselves to some stroke of randomness.

Another method I thought of is 10d20 drop the lowest 3, which is probably not what I'm going to use but may include for shits and giggles

I appreciate the help with this anon. Drive safely
>>
Second to last bump for the night

These turkey captchas are great.
>>
Last bump of the night. Sleep tight /tg/
>>
Don't have time to look this over tonight, but keeping this tab open for tomorrow. Bumping for glorious support.
>>
File: 1428630078612.jpg (33 KB, 164x161) Image search: [Google]
1428630078612.jpg
33 KB, 164x161
>>43816727
Skimmed it before my shift, seems alright except for what >>43817274 mentioned. In addition, Manaketes don't seem to have any skills. Is this a deliberate trade-off?

There needs to be some restriction on the number of Lords and Tacticians, because as it stands nothing stops players from just taking Lords and killing everything with Aether. Maybe make it so that there can be only one Lord and Tactician per 5 players?

Also:
>using Awakening's art for Generals and Great Knights

Do you hate sprites that much?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.