[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /tg/ So recently a friend wanted me to teach her to play MtG.What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
Hi /tg/
So recently a friend wanted me to teach her to play MtG.What I need help with is figuring out a nice format/type of deck so I don't utterly shoo her out of the game with my lame tier-2 scrub crusher decks.

tl;dr:Tips&tricks to teaching MtG to a not-brainless person
>>
File: Casual.png (11 KB, 259x288) Image search: [Google]
Casual.png
11 KB, 259x288
Well she is a woman, so try to go as easy mode as possible.
Try to make you and her decks from those shitty cards u throw away after a draft or from packs you buy, as to even the playing field so she can't call shit OP, cause there literally garbage commons.
Also always let her go first, and free mullies, forever, I mean, she is a girl, she'll need them.
Give her a handicap as well, start with 10 life, and you cant play spells for the first 3 turns.
Best advice I can give, after all...
>>
Start with a mix of creature and burn spells. Red Deck Wins They are an easy to teach the game.
>>
>>43815737
it's sexist if you go easy on her
it's also extremely sexist if you beat her at the game

i think it might be best to just segregate yourself, desu senpai
>>
File: 1442863415270.jpg (40 KB, 236x334) Image search: [Google]
1442863415270.jpg
40 KB, 236x334
Have you ever taught anyone else to play? same shit. Be easy going, introduce the turn order. And carefull with in response and the stack. Make sure they know it exists, obviously you need to explain instants and shit. But make sure they understand it before you start using it on them. Even people who have been playing for years and understand the rules get bent out of shape over getting their shit countered so its going to be 10 fold on a new player.

You are NOT ALLOWED to do things for them. If they don't get some thing just explain it again and see what they need clarified, do not ever make a choice for them. IT disengages the person. It would be like telling some one trying to learn a videogame to let you "show" them. They are only learning that they can't do it.
>>
>>43815737
Start her off with modern burn or Merfolk if you have it, easy to understand
Play against her with a variety of archetypes, decks like Abzan, elves, UWr Control, Tron, Twin
The reason I always say to teach modern is because there is a noticeable difference between archetypes of decks in modern, meanwhile when I play peoples standard decks I cant tell whether they are midrange, control or aggro
Then get her into standard.
>>
>>43815737
Get two decks with similar power level and make sure they are not too complicated.

Explain enough of the rules so you can play, but don't necessarily explain everything down to every detail.
>>
>>43815737

Build decks like a you would a sealed deck. No need for a full 60 cards or playsets, mostly commons, with 1-2 complicated or splashy rares.

Try to emphasize the color pie (so BfZ is not the best place to start) and stick to the kind of stuff you'd see in core sets.

Wizards makes these simple 30 card decks to hand out to new players - they'd be another good place to start.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1515
>>
>>43815737
buy a duel deck
duel
>>
>>43815737
duel deck anthology is perfect for you.
>>
>>43815932
Fuck off you sexist pig
>>
>>43815932
>Mfw people actually think that.
>Mfw my GF's idea of play is ''Reanimate Terastodon, blow your only white mana sources''.
Yes, we play commander.
>>
>>43820964
>>43821194
Literally took my girlfriend 4 months of almost daily play to notice different set symbols.

Most women are usually only interested in vapid things so when presented with things that actually challenge them it can be difficult.

I'm sure though that you don't know this because you're probably in the ivory tower of university in a STEM department where these women don't exist so you don't think they do at all.

I bet you also think black people don't rob people 4 times more than whites.
>>
>>43821419
>literally took my girlfriend 4 months
Then she's just a retard who doesn't read. I taught my sister how the game runs in about an hour and a half and she even understood different sets and what they mean by that.

Not every female out there is as retarded as the ones you know.
>>
>>43821419
>took my girlfriend 4 months of almost daily play to notice different set symbols.
>one girl is like that so all women are

Also
>implying you have a girlfriend

Go home, /pol/.
>>
>>43821454
>>43821471
>women are the same as men.

I can't wait for this meme to die.
>>
>>43821514
>implying every woman is identical
>implying, by proxy, all men are too
>implying you have a gf
>>
>>43821514
At no point in either of those posts did it say or even
>imply
that women are the same as men. Men can be vastly different from each other, and the same can be said of women.

Go back to /pol/.
>>
Duel decks? Some of them are currently sold under msrp, because shit value but you can play some fun casual games with them. Then play solomon draft maybe.
>>
>>43821518
It's cute when supreme gentlemen rush to defend their maiden's honor.

I'm just a naked man posting on a Tibetan Rice Organizing forum at 5 am.

What do you have to prove here, other than how incomprehensibly wrong you are?
>>
>>43821550
Listen m8. You seem to be lost. All we're trying to is help you find your way back to your own board.

Here's a little guide to help:
>/pol/ is for hot opinions about Jews, niggers, and women
>/tg/ is for hot opinions regarding dragons, orcs, and elves
>>
>>43821550
Really? Because /tg/ seems to be for limp wristed faggots like yourself.
>>
>>43815737
Start it off simple with decks involving just summoning creatures and enchanting/equipping them to make them stronger.
After a couple of games then introduce counterspells, exile and return from the grave zombie type shit.
Then bring in burn and mill.
>>
>>43821550
I'm sorry for whatever life led you here, but you're a ridiculous person with asshole opinions on things to feel better. You should be less of a faggot.
>>
I taught my brother the basics of the game just this week. Gave him a R/G landfall deck I scrapped together from my draft leftovers and he easily got the basics and did fairly well with it.
Played against him using my Standard Grixis Eldrazi deck and he held up pretty well, all things considered. Just be sure to point out some mechanical combos they can do whenever the can (for example Blighted Woodland/Evo Wilds in landfall stuff) and don't treat them with too much care, so do punish and counter some of their plays so that they learn what's out there and what to plan for.
>>
>>43821419
I'm sorry you're girlfriend is a retarded cunt
>>
>>43815737
Ok back to serious advise.
Build a wizard's tower. There was an arcana on the mother ship last year. Make it either RG or GW. Keep it mostly simple, either vanilla or French vanilla creatures with a few instants, sorceries, and auras. Include big dumb green dudes because they're "fun."
I recommend playing the first few games with your hand revealed and explain why you do what you do, both strategically and rules conformity.
One the play style and rules are grasped, switch a color out for blue and teach counterspells. Keep switching a single color when comfortable.
I taught a group of 6of my students with this method and 4of them got decent, the other 2 were just in it because I promised free cards. It takes a while, but it really worked for me.
>>
>>43821590
This might seem odd, but not everyone who you do not agree with is from /pol/
>>
>>43823387
True, /r9k/ will fit you better.

>guy doesn't realize his girlfriend doesn't give a shit about the game and only wants to spend time with him because she loves him
>"hurr women amirite fellas?"
>>
File: 1448403371402.png (765 KB, 1001x1001) Image search: [Google]
1448403371402.png
765 KB, 1001x1001
>>43815932
You're doing God's work, anon.
>>
>>43815737
Similar power level kitchen table decks are all you really need. I would say build all the good pauper decks, but Delver and Storm seem really bad as babby's first deck. If it must be competitive decks then Burn, Boggles, and Zoo are all pretty easy to grasp.

>>43815932
Draft leavings actually are a good suggestion. Pull the card or two that you actually want to keep, then let her have the rest.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.