[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This DM Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 1000x1000
Okay, /tg/, it's fun to tell stories about crappy DMs and their crappy ways, but how about we take some time and reminisce on things our DMs did that impressed us. Let's tell stories of good times, huh?
>>
>>43812675
My DM once ran a session. Best day of my life until the furry waifu DMPC showed up.
>>
>>43812675
I'll start. We had a DM who was new at it, but dang if he didn't put his whole heart into it, loud bombastic voices for villains, interesting puzzles, stuff like that. Anywho, I'm usually his DM, and he's caught on to the fact that I'm playing a character that's morally questionable and a bit unhinged. Cont.
>>
>>43812675
>pic
>GMing is an art
Literally how. I haven't done too much DMing myself but I'd liken it more to herding cats while occasionally being amused by their antics.
>>
>>43812748
So I make an Aberrant Sorcerer, and hint that his power comes from some kind of Great Old One. His quest is wanting to find out about his people (Odd, Gray-Skinned Elves) since no one seems to know exactly what he is. He also goes into delusions of grandeur about being a channeler of Old Magic.
So I was absolutely elated when my DM gave me a curse and a voice in my head telling me to kill, making my magic stronger. I absolutely loved it, and fell into fits of cackling glee as my powers burned and crippled countless enemies.

Until we figured out that the other party members were losing magic potency at an identical rate as I was gaining it.

My character is freaked out and is making subtle ways to seek time away from the party. He's going mad. Fits of hysterical laughter/crying, faraway looks, and jumping at every noise during the night.

This is on top of playing a fun Charisma character who can bluff his way anywhere and frequently sets up the other players for awesome moments with debuffs and buffs. I feel like I'm doing everything I wanted as a player.

Thanks, Brennen.
>>
> Land Pirates that used a large battle cart as ship.
> Useless ratfolk wizard NPC eating our rations in the cargo hold, that we could not get rid off.
> Beefy stereotypical lumberjack that could take on armies by himself
> Racist as hell half fucking 'lings that used gunpowder to bully other races.
> Evil mechromancer boss fight
> The Evil Lich in the haunted house was but an illusion from that guy behind the curtain.
> Bloody Carnival Clowns.

Oh DM, in restrospect, your campaign was bloody hilarious.
>>
>>43813197
>you put insane amounts of effort into it
>you see things clearly and understand what is going on
>people complaint that they don't get it and that you are wrong
>they just don't get it

Anyway, I hate players. Now I just write games and keep those to myself.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1448413588121.jpg (85 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1448413588121.jpg
85 KB, 720x960
Our 2 year campaign culimated in a massive war between our kingdom and the next. To do it, our DM printed out a map of the region and mocked up several little flag things that represented our characters, each of whom would lead elite units in the war. Every NPC we had met was there and gave special "commands" for our battles and the whole thing took like 5 hours to resolve. Gotta say, it felt pretty cool to push our flags around the map like war generals and fuck shit up.

Pic related, its one of the maps with our stuff on it (it looks like a clusterfuck but it was towards the end where everything had become chaotic)
>>
>>43812675
Well, way back in '11, I told a story about a certain crackpot wizard named Horse, and the shenanigans I got up to with him (with the rest of my group's encouragement). Such feats as the Battle-Wagon with roof-mounted Gnome-Bolo Launcher, the Spiky Hamster Ball of Doom, and of course, the Outpost Transformer - none of that would have been possible without Shane being an awesome This GM, and being willing to mot just 'go with it', but make it actually work and flow with his story.
>>
>>43814220
Your DM sounds like a really cool guy.
>>
>>43813197

You know how video games are art?
Same deal.
>>
File: yep.gif (383 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
yep.gif
383 KB, 540x540
I once had a DM back in 2003/2004 who had us roll 4d6 drop lowest for our stats in D&D 3.5 (and gave one guy a chance to roll a second set since his first was garbage). We went through character creation as normal, picking race, class, feats, skills, etc.

Just when we were about finished, he said "Now change your lowest stat to an 18."
>>
>>43815687
That's...brilliant. Making your dump stat one of your best stats. It's totally add some depth to characters.
>>
>>43815494
Yea it was pretty awesome. He kept discussing it with me in the weeks leading into it but I never grasped the scale of what he was planning.
>>
>>43815825
It's not the kind of trick you can pull on your players often, though. They might start building their characters around that assumption.
>>
>>43815939
does sound like a one and done kind of thing to do, yeah.
>>
File: image.jpg (199 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199 KB, 640x1136
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.