[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Japan and the hobby
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Filthy weeb here, i am going to move to japan in 1 or 2 years for studies and i am going to stay there for like 5-6 years. So i wanted to ask if someone can tell me how is the state of hobby there, like if they play miniatures wargames, how they are, their favorite rpg system, etc
>>
>>43812312
Quickstart games are popular, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>43812312
Most systems will use d6; other kinds of dice are pretty rare.
>>
>>43812312

I lived in Japan 3 years 10 years ago but I was US Marine Corps Security Forces at Yokouska Naval Base.

Japan is awesome! Check out the yellow submarine in Toyko it's a chain of game stores and models. Also I recommend you definately visit the snow festival in Hikado. I really enjoyed taking historic tours of various castlesand festivals. The greatest amusement park I have ever been to in my life is is Toei Kyoto. Ninja maze is a must! Enjoy your time and get off the beaten path. The Japanese always treated me kindly.
>>
>>43812790
Thanks.
Someone know if they play Bolt Action or Flames of War and how they feel about playing the pacific war, and if they say simulation or something like that instead of play. How controversial are wargames?
>>
>>43812312
At least the Yellow Submarine in Akiba has Warhammer and I think Warmachine.

Lots of D&D etc in the rpg section. How much gets played I can't say, though there is a gaming club of mostly foreigners that seem to meet pretty often and have a heap of games running.
>>
>>43812312
Doesn't matter unless you're fluent in Japanese, no one will have anything to do with you, and even then they'll still be hesitant in talking to you because Japanese people believe that no foreigner is capable of learning and speaking Japanese, and we're talking about a bunch of socially awkward nerds so they'll be even worse about it.
>>
>>43814246
For actually buying stuff Yellow Sub is great and carries not only some of the big names but also all kinds of old and obscure shit, Amazon Japan also has a large selection of /tg/ related games and merchandise.
>>
>>43814128
>>43814246
http://www.meetup.com/ja/jigg-tokyo/
You can have a look at these guys. They meet a lot. Have no idea if they're okay people or not though.
>>
Also, not gonna lie, most other foreigners in Japan are just the most annoying 9gag tier faggots on the planet. They're loud, they're stupid, they're annoying as fuck, and they tend to be fucking oblivious as well.

When I first moved here I always thought those guys who look down on other foreigners were just being elitist pricks, but the longer I've been here the more I realized they're like that because most everyone is a fucking idiot.

So, gauge your meet ups carefully or you'll end up with a bunch of That Guys.
>>
>>43814504
I haven't encountered that many foreigners that are massive faggots here. I imagine the gaming scene might be different though. I mostly just hangout with me workmates.
>>
>>43815177

You haven't been there long then. I lived in Japan for a long while and by the time I left I was basically a hermit...couldn't deal with any foreigners. Sure there are the weebs and whatnot, but the shitty college 2.0 asshats that cock up Tokyo are just as bad even if they're "cool dudes" on the surface. But it makes sense since young Japanese are the shallowest, most materialistic bunch on the planet.
>>
>>43815177
Most of the foreign gamer crowd is of the type that realized they were failures at life in their home countries so got shitty eikaiwa jobs in Japan and moved here believing anything would be different.
>>
>>43815243
>young Japanese are the shallowest, most materialistic bunch on the planet.
I would argue that title goes to either Koreans or Shanghai Chinese.
>>
>>43815243
Yeah I've only been here 4 years so far. Haven't really tried to get back into gaming in that time. Hankering for some RPG gaming recently so was thinking of trying that meetup group out of desperation.

There's a chance they aren't all like >>43815261 mentioned, right?
>>
>>43815365
There's a chance, non-Japanese foreigners in general tend to fall into either "good people" or "difficult to resist the urge to push them in front of a train" with no grey area, the latter just has over representation among the gamer crowd, but most of the former in that crowd tend to hide from the latter so your chances may vary.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.