[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started a new campaign, and suddenly I'm that guy that always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: nat 1.jpg (90 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
nat 1.jpg
90 KB, 500x333
Started a new campaign, and suddenly I'm that guy that always fails their rolls. I've been keeping track of expected vs. actual results, and it's perverse; I can roll up a statistically normal spread when it doesn't matter, but as soon as the check is for something it goes south and I fail 80% of the time. What must I do to appease the gods of fate? What superstitious rites remove this curse?

Also, epic win/fail/luck story thread.

>Be playing 3.5e campaign with friends, including guy who has "Indiana Jones + traveling minstrel" character.
>He fails all his checks, basically forced to take 20 to succeed at wiping his own ass
>DM makes house rule that just for him, all d20 rolls are reversed (1 is 20, 2 is 19, etc.)
>He never rolls anything under a 15 from then on
>>
File: 1447506296793.png (778 KB, 777x719) Image search: [Google]
1447506296793.png
778 KB, 777x719
>Be eternally bad luck guy
>Finally roll a 20 for a combat roll
>Damage is 3d6
>1, 1, 2
Strangely enough, I never failed a single diplomacy roll. Everything else was a disaster
>>
There are no dice gods, nor hope or faith.

There is only Zuvassin, and he enjoys seeing you fail.
>>
Never name The Lady. She is a beautiful and fickle mistress.
>>
File: d20 stats for 2k rolls.png (41 KB, 978x546) Image search: [Google]
d20 stats for 2k rolls.png
41 KB, 978x546
>>43811469
It's at least possible your d20 is unbalanced. Try using a different kind/brand altogether. Translucent dice are supposed to be more reliable because you can see whether they've got air bubbles in them.
>>
File: 1421014043558.jpg (52 KB, 711x459) Image search: [Google]
1421014043558.jpg
52 KB, 711x459
Try mindful of polyhedral objects meditation.

>>43812620
I thought this was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3N4Qg-JZM
>>
>>43811524
We've always ruled that a crit just means you get max damage without having to roll...
>>
>>43812713
Let it be noted that I could get very few of my dice to actually float, no matter how much salt I added to the water. (I've heard that epsom salt works better than the standard, sodium chloride, variety.) Still, the dice sunk slower than normal, and many would turn to favor a side as they sank. That clip shows dice favoring different numbers but my (speckled Chessex) dice all floated on 1 (aside from a couple that didn't show obvious bias as they sank).
>>
>>43812918
It took a good bit of table salt time for the solution to set up but eventually my opaque dice all floated. On the positive one of my sets clearly favored 20 and another one favored 18.

It sucks that one of your 20 sided might favor 1s over time. I would give that set away to the party paladin.
>>
File: balanced.jpg (4 MB, 4429x3072) Image search: [Google]
balanced.jpg
4 MB, 4429x3072
>>43812620
It's possible all my d20s are unbalanced. What's odd is that when others use my dice, they roll well, and when I use them, they roll poorly. This leads me to the conclusion the problem is with me and not just the dice.
>>
>>43815533
Change up the way you roll dice?
>>
>>43815533
Get a dice cup maybe? It'll force you to change your rolling style at least.
>>
>>43811469
Melting down the dice is the only way to deal with heathen dice.

I have found luck in melting a d20, and slowly pouring the contents in a circle around my newest d20. Haven't had any issues with bad rolling since.

>muh probability >muh gambler's fallacy >muh structural anomalities
Fuck that, the dice gods are real, and not having faith in your dice is the number one cause for botched rolls.
>>
>>43811469

Figure out your own ritual. Honor and prayer? Find some kind of prayer or way to honor them that's you. Sacrifice? Blood, small tokens, maybe smaller dice.

Huh, just realized gaming really does bring out the occult in you.
>>
>>43811469
So, here is the thing, your gonna fail rolls like a mother fucker but when that one chance for you to shine brighter than a god comes. Your gonna fucking crit your ass off through all the rolls, suffer now and wait for the moment to become god.
>>
>>43818635
I just realized that yeah it does. I once held an excorcism for a set of dice oddly enough. Another set was used as witness to the destruction of another. I prayed to Lady Luck... hmmm
>>
File: 1443068257596.jpg (11 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
1443068257596.jpg
11 KB, 201x199
I reliably roll poorly, though I attribute it to literally being cursed by gypsies.

Those stories where people get nat 20s repeatedly at the height of the game, I'm the opposite in that I get nat 1s repeatedly and I get them the entire game. Worst example I can think of, though 40k rather than tabletop, I had a commander with 4 wounds and 2+ saving throw. Was charging a Tau squad at a command point to try to engage in close combat, they got off a shooting round. Seven hit to wound, and I distinctly remember saying "All I have to do is not roll four 1s!". I got five 1s on seven dice, the other two were two 2s. I just about cried.

The benefit though is I can rely on rolling low, so that comes in handy.
>>
>>43818764
Sacrifice a goat over your dice.
>>
>>43818764

You have to threaten the gypsies who cursed you with your own curse. Grab an old dog bone and wave it frantically while screaming curse gibberish and occult threats outside their homes for maybe ten minutes or so.
>>
>>43818798

That's a lot of goat to go to waste over your dice. Well, unless you have a lot of dice.

I mean, you could make a lot of blood sausage with that goat blood, and the goat itself is a bunch of meals worth right there. Probably better if it was a rabbit or a small chicken or maybe a bug. A good-sized beetle should be enough for a single die.
>>
>>43818820
I got cursed in Rome though. I live in the US so even if I could get back, I wouldn't be able to find the specific gypsies.

>>43818798
Over all of them?
>>
>>43818921
>That's a lot of goat to go to waste over your dice.
It's like you want to roll like shit.
>>
File: Dandy.png (383 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
Dandy.png
383 KB, 500x450
http://www.dicewitch.com/diceboosting.html

This is real. I saw her booth at Gencon. She was definitely making actual money.
>>
I have never found a solution to offset my luck.
I instead just powergame the absolute fuck out of what I do and become a system mastery godking, so that I can still succeed on things I care about on 2's or 3's.
It balances out.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.