[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I don't want to die What is the best option allowing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: 1448289678550.jpg (37 KB, 286x750) Image search: [Google]
1448289678550.jpg
37 KB, 286x750
>I don't want to die
What is the best option allowing me not to die?
>>
Well, you could live forever.
>>
>>43807909
/thread
>>
Upload your brain into a computer.
>>
Burn a fate point.
>>
>>43807904

Become a lich.
>>
>>43807904
At least two levels of Unkillable, I'd think.
>>
Get used to suffering, those lights in the sky won't last as long as you will.
>>
>>43807904
Hollowing
>>
Cut your nuts off, should buy you some extra time for nanomachines to get here.
>>
>>43807904
Take a rank in immortality, idiot.
>>
>>43807904
Become mythic
>>
>>43807904
You tell death too fuck off you still got work too do
>>
>>43807904
Don't play
>>
File: Rimmer-Kicks-Death.png (96 KB, 365x280) Image search: [Google]
Rimmer-Kicks-Death.png
96 KB, 365x280
>>43808832
Damn straight.
>>
File: Immortality.jpg (121 KB, 340x260) Image search: [Google]
Immortality.jpg
121 KB, 340x260
>>43808798
>>
>>43807904
>What is the best option allowing me not to die?
Surviving, probably.
You can't die and survive at the same time.
>>
Just shit out the same exact human fighter you've been playing before.
>>
>>43807968
>becoming a lich
>a good idea
>ever
>>
>>43810541

The man doesn't want to die. Doesn't say anything about quality of his un-life.
>>
>>43807904
Use a system that doesn't have rules for character death.
>>
>>43807904
Blatantly disregard the rules text that says your phylactery is an object with a set number of hit points. Make it a person, or a glass of water dumped into the ocean, or the concept of love, or something else not allowed by the rules.
When called out on it, you have two options:
1: "Who said I was playing D&D", even if you did say that, or had no problem with people assuming you were playing D&D when it benefited you.
2: "NO FUN ALLOWED", because of course this one specific idea equals all fun everywhere.
>>
I wonder how /x/ is gonna answer this
>>>/x/17005723
>>
Set it as your character goal to suicide through being killed and it looking as if you didn't commit suicide.
Unless your GM has a boner for killing player characters off, you will miraculously survive every time.
>>
>>43811078
>asking /x/
>"they'll just act like underage faggots"
>see thread
I really miss old /x/.
>>
>>43811913
What the fuck even happened to /x/?
>>
>>43811968
It got filled with actual retards and wasn't about spooky stories and scary ocean creatures anymore.
>>
>>43810937
I see you're familiar with /tg/'s approach to lichdum.
>>
>>43811913
According to the poster count, there's also some samefagging.
>>
>>43811968
/b/ raided them way back and they never recovered.

Old /x/ was my first board. I miss that place.
>>
>>43807930
>Upload your brain into a computer.
You'd still die; you'd just be survived by a digital entity that thought a lot like you. Maybe. I mean, you'd be a totally different person without all the hormones and chemicals that course through your body, and I'm not sure what kind of job the mad scientist types would do simulating those. But even if it thought and acted identically to you, it still wouldn't be you.
>>
Press X

>>43812037
I remember there used to be a sort of unwritten agreement, that /x/ was supposed to be off limits for /b/ raids. And then one day, it wasn't, apparently.

Fuck, I miss OC threads, movie streams, people streaming themselves challenging urban myths, exploration threads, Worlds tours and when we could solve ARGs like nobodies business.
>>
>>43812104
>exploration threads
>could solve ARGs like nobodies business
God, those were the best.

>OC threads
I view that as more of a problem with 4chan as a whole.

I went to /x/ for a visit not too long ago and it actually wasn't as bad as it had been in years past. It was still shit but at least the first 10 threads weren't
>Ask a vampire anything
>Ask a werewolf anything
>Ask a wiccan anything
>Ask a demon anything
>Ask a ghost anything
ect. ect.
>>
>>43812087
Your consciousness and ego won't survive death. Transmission to a digital medium, cloning, brain transfer... immortality will never succeed.
>>
>>43812326
What if you slowly replace your brain with a machine piece by piece?
>>
>>43813000
That's where you run into Theseus' paradox.
>>
>>43812326
>>43813000
>>43813028
Do we know what part of the brain controls the sense of self and ego?

Wouldn't having the part that dictates your sense of consciousness ripped out and replaced with a machine essentially destroy what is you?
The parts of your brain all have different function, so I don't think the Theseus situation applies to it.
>>
>>43813028
>That's where you run into Theseus' paradox.

Theseus's paradox is a solution.

We live the paradox already with both sleep and physical/personality changes over time.
A twenty year difference you'd say the person might not be the same as before, but if their older self came back in time to kill and replace their younger self you'd say they're not the same person. It's the same paradox.

So a gradual cyberization wouldn't be anything new.
>>
File: 01.jpg (15 KB, 380x195) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
15 KB, 380x195
>>43807909
>>
>>43813113
>if their older self came back in time to kill and replace their younger self you'd say they're not the same person

They aren't the same person where personality is concerned, but they have the same DNA. That's where the problem comes from.
>>
>>43813177
>but they have the same DNA

So I can clone you, have the clone kill you and take your place, and you're a-OK with that?

Even if the clone is given your memories, it's missing the chunk of your life from the cloning up until the killing.

The problem is streams of consciousness.
If your stream of consciousness is interrupted or lost.
Shades of grey, even getting blackout drunk is a form of death.
>>
>>43807904
I recall one quest thread where someone removed there name, face, and identity and teleported it into deep space. They were immortal by virtue of the universe being unable to acknowledge his existence. So, at least in theory you could become nobody.
>>
>>43813177
DNA is a non-issue. Clones have the same DNA. Chimerics have the DNA of multiple people, and they are real and walking around right now.
>>
>>43813220
>So I can clone you, have the clone kill you and take your place, and you're a-OK with that?

No, when did I say that? I was just establishing that there is more that makes up a person than their personality.
>>
>>43813282
>DNA is a non-issue

I disagree. Someone's structural make-up is definitely of importance when it comes to cloning them. I suppose if you were transferring consciousness into a robot, that wouldn't matter though.
>>
>>43813028
But if you think about it, it is already the case. Most of your cells are replaced multiple times in your lifetime (even brain cells are capable of reproduction), so "you" get yourself rebuild, with your own cells, and feel still like your previous self, so if there is a hypothetical machine which is indistinguishable from your cell, and replaces your cells at a normal rate, what is the difference?
>>
>>43813220
But your subconscious mind still works when you are asleep/knocked out
>>
>>43813310
Sure. You cannot clone without DNA, and a clone is not a clone unless it has the same DNA.
The relationship between DNA and some sort of individual identity is non-existent in terms of consciousness transferal.
>>
File: make my bat pregnant.jpg (48 KB, 499x650) Image search: [Google]
make my bat pregnant.jpg
48 KB, 499x650
>>43807904
find someone you love, and who loves you
>>
>>43813381
>The relationship between DNA and some sort of individual identity is non-existent in terms of consciousness transferal.

Why are you so sure of that?
>>
>>43808003
You also need unaging.
>>
>>43812087
>You'd still die
That's the right idea, but...
>you'd just be survived by a digital entity that thought a lot like you
...you shouldn't simply fail to apply it to your current state. Even now, "you" is fleeting. You always exist solely in the present, with nothing linking the you of the now to the you of the past except for unreliable and incomplete memories. Leaving your flesh behind when you extend your consciousness to circuit boards, then contain it solely therein, is really no different from the constant restructuring your brain is undergoing anway, or the temporal isolation you've always been undergoing. Realize that the self is an illusion, every single moment both a death and a rebirth.
>>
>>43813422
Because it has no relation to the topic at hand. There is no evidence that DNA is related to identity beyond the most crude manner of creating a brain to have a mind. There is also a limit to what DNA does, and how there are factors to the creation of a human brain in the mother's womb that has no relation to DNA.
I am sure of that because the moment we bring DNA to the discussion we are intentionally obfuscating the discussion. All we need to talk about consciousness transferal is minds, brains and computer brains which we may or may not be able to put the minds on. DNA is an unnecessary addition and the first thing you learn about thought experiments is that unnecessary additions are worthless and make the thought experiment worse.
>>
>>43813544
Hume believed that as we exist in such a flux of experience and thought, changing from day to day, moment to moment, and that because we are identities entirely created by our experience and thought that it's nonsensical to call us a single individual. We change too fast and too much for an idea of identity beyond the broadest sense to even mean anything.
Dr. Oliver Sacks (RIP) wrote a lot about how his Korsakoff's patients were in that way 'Humean' beings. I suggest reading his work if you want to think more about the mechanics of identity and consciousness, even if it is a bit pop-medicine.
>>
>>43807904
You must have a wonderful life to want to live it forever. You do have a wonderful life don't you anon?
>>
>>43813000
>>43813028
>>43813350

This

If you consider the body to already be a biological Theseus' ship, there is nothing wrong with gradual cyberization.

"Consciousness" is not stored in any given neuron after all, but in the complexes made up of billions of interconnecting neurons across the brain. There is no "data" hard coded into any one cell. So when a neuron divides it produces two empty daughter cells which become part of the complex and facilitate whatever aspect of cognition that complex is responsible for.

If we come up with a way to mimic neurons with nanomachines can can do everything the neurons can do including interfacing with the real organic stuff and introduce them cell by cell. (i.e. every time a neuron should divide it is instead apoptosized and replaced with two nano-neurons). These machine cells could be integrated into the organic complex and facilitate the same data just as they would have done if they were organic. Keep doing this cell by cell and the whole complex and later the whole brain will become cyberized, but done in a manner that mimics what biology does anyway in perfect continuity. There will be no copies or "breaks". "You" will remain "You" and your consciousness will remain the same. Just with components that no longer die. And you could "upgrade" to newer/better nanomachines the same way by gradually phasing out the old ones on a 1:1 basis in a way that feels "natural" to your neural network
>>
>>43807904
Try to live long enough for the Technological Singularity to take off. Hopefully it should be around 2045.
>inb4 Kurzweil hate
>>
Kill death
>>
Potential existence is as good asactual existence. That's why death is impossible. Your software exists permanently and indestructibly as a certainpossibility, a certain mathematical set of relations. Your father is now an abstract, non-physical possibility. But nevertheless he exists!

if you can name the source I'll be very impressed. Posted this on /x/ as well to see the reaction there.
>>
>>43813544
Okay, you know the thought experiment about replacing the parts on a ship, bit-by-bit over time until the ship is completely made of new parts? And meanwhile, you're taking all the parts you replaced and building a completely new ship out if it, so at the end of the process, you have two complete ships? And the question is: at what point does the original ship quit being the original ship? Is the rebuilt ship or the one that's newly-constructed of old parts the "real", original ship?

You can kind of see how somebody could argue either way, and more importantly, the thought experiment points out how artificial the sense of identity can be. But what you're doing is effectively like building a completely different ship based on the same designs and claiming it's the original ship. And regardless of where you fall on the though experiment, that's just silly.
>>
To OP, the short term solution is to make things that last a long time. Put your spirit into them. Things like a clock, a song, a wall, a book, a knife, a chair. Treat people well and they will help carry your spirit beyond your breathing years. Have children, or teach others. Our egoes and instincts make us so wrapped up in our own tiny concepts of life and death, although they are terribly misguided. The universe is alive; you are a piece of it that will never leave. A leaf on a tree falls to the ground peacefully in autumn, once it has finished providing the massive structure of the tree with sustenance. Its life is not over though, not by a trillion years. Fall to the ground in autumn, peacefully as wise creatures do. Till then, bask in the sunlight and potential of the awesome place you occupy.
>>
>>43815590
Uh, what? How do you manage to get that out of what I said? Rather, I'm saying that the notion of "original ship" is meaningless, because there is no identity to be conserved over time in the first place.
>>
>>43812326
Your conciousness and ego don't survive sleep. The entity that wakes is similar but indisputably different from before rest.
>>
I don't know why you don't want to die, life is pretty terrible.
>>
>>43815590
Nah, it's more like cramming an aircraft carrier crew into the berthing of an amphibious assault craft and calling it Nimitz.
>>
I find that even at the best of times, I don't have much motivation to live. Its usually only when my existence is threatened that I feel any motivation at all. I require medication just to want to stay alive.

I don't know how it is with you, but maybe you should ask yourself why you want to live?
>>
We always imagine that if life were just different somehow, we'd be able to enjoy it. And maybe that would be true, so long as the novelty held out. But I sometimes think being happy is learning how to appreciate what you have.
>>
Become a vampire.
>>
Dependent on setting

If high sci-fi: Brain upload by abusing the already functioning Ship of Thesius paradox within your biological systems to replace your organics with robotics over an excruciatingly extended period of time so that you have short spurts of getting accustomed to a small modifications to your brain, essentially as recovering from brain damage but without memory loss. Changes to "you" will occur, but this does not mean for certain that you are no longer you. So long as the continuity of identity is maintained, things will work out.

If High fantasy: Just fucking shove your soul right up the ass of a rock that's vaguely human. It's fear and loathing rules it's no rules.

Low Sci-fi: Strap in to a pod and hope for the best, things looked pretty alright for Mr.House in New Vegas, albeit not pretty.

Low Fantasy: Do something badass and talk smack to the enemy of a god and they might reward you accordingly.

Any: Vampirism in most cases or Meta-manipulation like the Dwemer attempted. Universe can't kill you if you know how to tell it "no".
>>
File: rainy cemetery.gif (935 KB, 400x214) Image search: [Google]
rainy cemetery.gif
935 KB, 400x214
>>43816421
I dunno about OP, but my reason is simple:

FEAR.

No matter how bad life could possibly get, or how little I deserve the one I have now, I am AFRAID of what will come when it is over.

Even without any other reason to live, FEAR will keep me from the jaws of death. If I lost my reasons to FEAR...

...I don't think I'd make it.

Every character I've played in every /tg/ I've played has a different reason to live, but in one fundamental respect they are all different from me - not a single one of them FEARS death the way I do.

So be AFRAID. Be very AFRAID. Because someday, it will save your life.
>>
>>43812087
>But even if it thought and acted identically to you, it still wouldn't be you.

Depends on who you ask.
>>
You know about the law of conservation of information, right? So, essentially, the universe will store all the information about you, from every single point of your life, forever (unless black holes do something stupid to the information, we don't know). So you will "exist" forever. Maybe one day, some super advanced alien race will restore you out of the cosmic noise - who the fuck know.
Either way, be careful around black holes. They are assholes.
>>
>Either way, be careful around black holes. They are assholes.
That is unfair and you know it. Without black holes galaxies wouldn't even exist. And don't believe that crap about information being destroyed. It is just as possible that the information is being stored holographically on the event horizon. Some think there could be an entire universe in a black hole. All the energy that falls inside collecting until it causes a big bang and a baby universe buds off from ours.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 236x193) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 236x193
>>43807904

It's not stopping death you need to worry about, it' stopping aging. No point living for ever with no teeth and dementia.

>tfw rapidly approaching 30

Any time now would be great, science...
>>
>>43807904
Its simple, dont stop not dying
>>
>>43808980
What game is this from?
>>
True immortality is overrated in most settings. By the time it becomes an option, there's usually a way for your friends to bring you back. Some settings even let you fight/sneak/talk your way out of the underworld! But if you can't die at all, you're just asking for someone to put your head in a box.
>>
>>43820751
But what with Hawking radiation? How could it retain the information?
>>
>>43820907
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
>>
>>43808877
Underated.
>>
>>43816784
I'm surprised to find someone who has the same problem i do. I'm terrified of my own mortality, of ceasing to exist, of a complete absence of consciousness. Part of me wishes i could believe in something after death, but i can't lie to myself like that, nor am i willing to put my faith in a faceless man in the clouds.

Ignorence is bliss, but at least we're not completely alone in our terror.
>>
>>43823052
I had to go to /fit/ for a feels image for that.
I've also been raised in a religious family, so belief in afterlife was pretty strong, but I just can't anymore. I'd love to, but I can't. Denying evolution is foolish and without creation almost no religion makes any sense - certainly not Christianity.
How do I get rid of this ambient fear?
>>
>>43807904

The fact that I was raised on arcade games since earliest childhood, made me believe somewhere deep inside that when I die I'll see kind of a screen saying "GAME OVER. CONTINUE?"

Besides, the universe won't give a shit. Do your best, hope for the best, don't worry too much. It'll be fine.
>>
>>43812087
Eh, if we're assuming it's possible to simulate that many neurons in such a complicated network I don't think chemical/hormone simulation is asking too much.

As for the upload, do it piecemeal; Simulate a tiny portion of the brain in the computer, so small you basically wouldn't notice if you lost it, then hook the nerve endings that connect that section to the rest of the brain up to output from the simulation. The rest of the brain receives information processed by that section as usual, and you don't lose anything. Repeat this process 100,00 times until all the nerves carrying information in and out of the brain just hook up to the machine.

Technical hurdles to this: Making sure the simulation accurately reflects things like blood chemistry, and stuff the brain puts into the simulated bloodstream are also put into the real one; Figuring out how to handle signal loss/death of the original body without the brain going through massive trauma; Making virtual representations of neurons that can change their connections and arrangements over time in the same way cells do, but without dying, etc.

It isn't easy, cheap, or remotely feasible at the current level of technology, and there's no guarantee it'll EVER get that good, not just within our lifetimes, but I think it's at least theoretically possible to transfer a mind from biological to digital format with continuity of consciousness.
>>
>>43807904
Not to exist at all.
Second best is to exist as something unliving and stay unsusceptible to the concept of death.
>>
>>43823724
>How do I get rid of this ambient fear?
Fight against it, regardless of how inevitable it is.

Remember, acknowledging death is not welcoming it, and you will fight that fucker every step of the way. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one's head and succumb.
>>
>>43813798
>>43816760
I have to ask, how quickly do you think gradual cyberization could be? How long would the "acclimation period" between each augmentation last?

Would it take a lifetime, nearly from birth to biological death? Decades? Years? Months? Could you do it over spring break?
>>
>>43813124

ma stygian....
>>
>>43825359
Some would call it foolishness, you know, struggling against the inevitable. They'd say you're wasting time you could be spending on something else. All the effort going into a task that will never bear fruit - why bother?

Me, I'm not sure who to listen to anymore. All I know is I'm not any good at all this philosophical stuff.
>>
>>43807904

Make a pact with something powerful enough to make you immortal.
>>
>>43825411
>Some would call it foolishness, you know, struggling against the inevitable.
By that logic, life itself is foolishness; Why bother living at all, when you will just die a century later? After all, the human lifespan, and all of human history, is but a fraction of a blink in the span of the cosmos.

I subscribe to two thoughts, regarding this.
One, anything less than immortality is a waste of time.
Two, life is a story written by everyone, and enjoyed by everyone, and an underdog plot is always a fun read.
>>
>>43823724
>How do I get rid of this ambient fear?
Fight it until you no longer can. Stop thinking long-term, it helps. A bit.
>>
>>43825469
This; live for today, tomorrow, and the year after. Watch your feet, the path ahead, and the mountains in the distance, but always keep the end out of sight; it helps you to enjoy the journey a bit more.
>>
>>43825469
Does not so much mortal folly stem from a lack of long-term thinking?
>>
>>43826323
It does, actually, but it's one thing or another. Can't have a cake and eat it too, you know.
>>
>>43826832
So our choices are between self-destructive folly and all-devouring misery?

That just ain't fair, ya know?
>>
>>43826893
Of course it isn't fair. You are, after all, playing a game with no win conditions.
You simply have to pick the lesser of two evils.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.