[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a huuge fan of Diablo 2. It's easily one of my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7
I'm a huuge fan of Diablo 2. It's easily one of my favorite games and is also my favorite RPG. Now I haven't played many RPGs of a similar style so I'd love to know more like this. Just the style and atmosphere of this game is legendary and I want more like it.
>>
>>43806914
My brethren of good taste.
>>
>>43806914
Isn't Baldur's Gate similar?
>>
They really pushed the M rating, what with the nudity and bloody dismemberment. You could really see some horrible stuff went on before you got there, particularly in the first two acts.
>>
File: DnD-Diablo.jpg (12 KB, 260x337) Image search: [Google]
DnD-Diablo.jpg
12 KB, 260x337
Go play Dungeons & Dragons: Diablo II Edition.
>>
>>43807422
I've heard a lot of mixed things about this. Is it rhat good?
>>
>>43807434
I read a review of it. It has all the classes from DII, most classes are either half or full casters, and it has a save/load mechanic.
>>
>>43806914
Personally I never found a game as good as Diablo 2

Dungeon Siege 1 + 2
Path of Exile
Maybe D3
>>
>>43807459
Curious how well it ports to 3.5. Been wanting to do a 3.5 campaign with Diablo stuff including the prime evils themselves.
>>
>>43807434
Not a clue. I just remember it being a section on the D&D 3E website, but I never saw it anywhere. They even had miniatures.

You could always try this:

https://www.wizards.com/diabloii/Diablo2FastPlay.pdf
>>
>>43807405
I've always felt that's what d3 was missing... It had no aura of evil all over the goddamn place. It felt like they dumbed it down which was a shame.
>>
>>43807522
D3 felt like WoW in a hollow Diablo-like world. Eh.
>>
>>43807434
Played it once. Don't remember anything especially good.
>>
>>43807422
It's mostly endless lists of random magic items.
>>
>>43807771
To be fair, at least they have cool names.
>>
>>43807818
That may be so but just a list of items doesn't really make a good game.
>>
>>43807839
You should tell that to D2.
>>
>>43807062
No
>>
>>43807522
>>43807580

D2 had a different atmosphere but d3 was just differen't I wouldn't say worse. There's enough variety to have all kinds of stuff anyway so the chances of having something you like are reasonable, I sure have areas I like to quest in more. And you can say everything about d3 but damn, classes wise it's a league ahead for me, I love the monk and the wizard made me play a caster, plus demon hunters are much smoother than amazons (looking forward to see if they actually manage to get a melee dh build going). Except for the witch doctor. Fuck the witch doctor, necromancer had style.
>>
>>43807839
It was random generation tables for them tho. And for encounters. And monsters. And there was also some scaling thing for harder difficulties or something.

It was kinda pointless statblocks just so they are statted, but most things for 3rd are.
>>
>>43807861
The video game was great though.
>>
>>43807866
My problem with D3 was that the story was retarded and the game was incredibly easy.

Fucking Crusader was amazing though, her design was incredible.
>>
>>43807866
Oh no I totally agree, I've had a shitload of fun with D3. I just felt that it lacked the correct atmosphere for the content of the game in comparison to D1 and 2. Yeah WD would have been better as the necro, but the WD fits with their more-zany-less-dark atmosphere. (Which might be part of my gripe, because i fucking loved playing as necro in D2.)
>>
>>43807883
Dude I'm not saying it was good or anything, but since when have you played a diablo for the story? And yeah, balance when it came out was a wreck, it was predictable since the game had been rushed.

And I liked that the crusader was actually a funny guy instead of being the usual brainless zealot.
>>
>>43807929
I fucking love the salt about the WD. Just reading people bitch about how they exchanged the cool guy with bone armor and wielding the power of death as a weapon to some fucking backass junglehick who throws pots of spiders at demons.
>>
>>43807969
Not bitching for the choice of changing the class, they wanted something different and I can get behind that, it's just that I fucking hated the d2 act 3 and those fucking fetishes
>>
>>43808001
Oh, not saying YOU were being salty, I just like people dissecting how ridiculous the change is.
>>
>>43807942
>When have you played a Diablo for story?
Litterally 1 and 2. Both stories were great.
>>
>>43808117
1 had a story?

Seriously, it's pretty damn simplistic to be called great.
>>
>>43808164
I also started playing vidya at age 4 with diablo sooo... Rose tinted glasses?
>>
>>43808164
Maybe not story, but atmosphere.

>I can see what you see not
>>
>>43807942
Not so much the story as the atmosphere. 1 and 2 were survival horror games, except that you happened to be an army shredding badass.
>>
>>43808239
>>43808242
Oh yeah, I'm with you there. 3 definitely dropped the ball there.
>>
>>43808242
Hell Cows.
Or Hell Diablo and his Red Lightning Hose of FUCK YOU.
Those were some serious "You aren't as badass as you think you are" moments.
Without hacks/mods, ofc.
>>
>>43806914
Fuck yeah

>>43807434
When I got my hands on that I hoped to start a campaign with it, but it just sucks a lot.
It adapts DII's classes to D&D in a dumb and unsatisfying way, giving them all lots of spell-like abilities and horribly thin and uninteresting spell lists for the pure casters. Then it had a bestiary section that was as uninspired as you can possibly get.
>>
>>43808399
Skeletal flayers. Yeegh.
>>
>>43809049
Also regular flayers. And flayer shamans. And lightning ghosts. I hate lightning ghosts.
>>
>>43808242
How is that a survival then? I guess hardcore at higher difficulties maybe, but...
>>
>>43809337
I'm saying it has the atmosphere of a horror game, but unlike say, Silent Hill or Resident Evil, your character is quite powerful compared to the average monster.
>>
>>43809124
Oooh oooh!
Oblivion Knights and their FUCKING Iron Maiden curse that they always hit Barbarians mid-Whirlwind with.
>>43809711
The cutscenes involving The Hero of Tristram and Marius(That's his name, right?) were pretty freaky.
>>
>>43806914

>Diablo
Awesome! I love that game, especially the part where...

>Sequel
.. Oh. Nevermind.
>>
>>43810822
Your curiosity will be the death of you.
>>
Honestly if you wanted a true successor to LoD, PoE is the closest you can get. It's made by D2 fanboys for D2 fanboys
>>
>>43810908
Pillars of eternity? That shit has little to do with Diablo and a lot with baldurs gate and nvn
>>
>>43810941
Path of exile.
>>
>>43807929
The cult of Rathma is a bunch of men. Women need not apply. I guess WD didn't have that problem.
>>
>>43810941
*nwn
>>
>>43810951
Ow, god damned games and thier similar names
>>
If you want to adapt Diablo to D&D, a good houserule to use would be to give a group of enemies a collective healthbar. So if you have 20 skeletons with 4HP, they would have a healthbar of 80HP altogether.

Why? It lets you have large amounts of monsters on the table without letting excess damage go to waste. Might even want to rule that monsters under a certain CR only have minimum HP.
>>
File: 1369367468163.png (300 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1369367468163.png
300 KB, 500x354
>cinematics disc
check
>play disc
check
>expansion disc
check
>install disc
>>
>>43811200
>>cinematics disc
Eh? I don't recall there being a third disk.
>>
>>43811218
totally, it orginally had the install disk, play disk and cinematics disk. You could do a "full install" which copied the cinematics to your hard drive. Otherwise, everytime you finish an act you get a "insert cinematics disk" message.
>>
>>43811258
Well I guess you could just hunt down an ISO for the install disk.
>>
>>43811295
If you have your cd key you can just plug that into battle.net and they let you download it.
>>
>>43811355
Blizzard has a habit of locking accounts for "suspicious activity" by which they mean "Some chink typed qwerty into the password field."
>>
>>43811200
And that's why I registered DII and downloaded it from Battle.net with all the data for a complete installation.
>>
File: 1394209190706.jpg (212 KB, 728x518) Image search: [Google]
1394209190706.jpg
212 KB, 728x518
Has anyone read the Diablo books? I've heard mixed things. Any Median Mod bros about? Or Hell Unleashed?
>>
>>43810908
The game is mechanically wonderful but the story isn't much involving until you get to the end (which instead is quite awesome indeed)
>>
>>43811577
Median Ultimative player here.
Diablo books can be hit or miss, depending.
IIRC/IMO Moon of the Spider was a pretty neat read.
>>
>>43811200
You can just download it from blizzard if you still have the key
>>
>>43806914
Aquelarre

It's a spanish game so I'm not sure if it is translated, but it's BY FAR the best dark fantasy rpg ever made.
>>
File: 1235354641.jpg (1 MB, 3965x3715) Image search: [Google]
1235354641.jpg
1 MB, 3965x3715
>>43810908
>>43810951
This, pretty much.

It's not perfect, but it's the best you're going to get out of a genre that hasn't aged well at all. It's made by die-hard fanboys of Diablo II, to the point where they make some pretty silly decisions based on nostalgia alone, but for what it's worth they seem to be one of very few modern developers that actually give a shit about the game that they are making, rather than the money that it's pulling in.

Not to mention the skill tree. Diablo II has nothing on this shit.

It's a reasonably good time to get into the game, as well. They just announced a new challenge league (Basically they make a new ladder with a bunch of cool shit added to the base game for the duration of that ladder) in december, and a fuckhuge expansion in Q1 2016.
>>
you know I haven't auctutaly seen the cutscenes they don't seem to work on my computer
>>
>>43814347
God, I made a never die warrior in that game, shit was hilarious.
>>
Dark Sun - terrible idea anons?
>>
>>43814347
>Dat skill tree
Jesus.
If it weren't for the fact that my computer would probably outright DIE the second it tried running that, I'd get it immediately.
>>
>>43814347
is that the one where your class mostly determines where on that tree you start
>>
>>43814347
What is this?
>>
>>43807929
Eh. I've been a little late and only just got D3. It's felt pretty similar too the old diablo games. Maybe a little more epic fantasyish. But it still feels like a diablo game and has all the elements i loved in the old ones.
>>
>>43814347
I'm actually looking forward to playing in that league, me and my friend both. Probably will roll some unholy caster type since I've actually upgraded the compy to something that can handle the retard graphic spam recently.
>>
>>43807883
Eh that just seems too be a matter of taste. Personally I've quite liked the story of D3.
>>
File: parkinson_diablo.jpg (421 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
parkinson_diablo.jpg
421 KB, 1680x1050
Just sharing this painting again because it's awesome.
>>
>>43810958
Wouldn't be the worst bit of lore they raped...
>>
>>43814347
PoE is pretty much the essence of Diablo 2. It improves on almost every flaw of the game, and builds are waaaay more varied. My only problem with it is that the story feels soulless in comparison, but that might just be the nostalgia goggles talking. One of my favorite things about it is the fact that you can make builds around items, like with Facebreaker
>>
>>43818811
>barb dead lying on the ground tired of being useless shit in pve
>bone necro about to get his shit slapped after doing whole 0 damage
>sorc and ama camping behind pillar trying to recover their bodies
>geared paladin about to just fuck up diablos shit effortlessly

its just like playing on bnet
>>
>>43818811
Paladin about to get all the bitches
>>
>>43819403
It will be Paladin, Sorceress, and Amazon's solemn duty to repopulate the land when this battle is over.
>>
>>43819470
I miss Paladin, crusader, while a qt, just isn't the same
>>
>>43806914
Pc game?
Path of exile - atmosphere is just perfect.
>>
>>43818811
pretty much all blizards art is awesome

i have a huge arse book filed with the stuff and its about 1/4 diablo
>>
>>43812969
May I ask you some more information about this game?
>>
>>43806914
>play Necro
>Skellies are useless from world 4 onwards because everything on the map one-shots them.

Thanks Blizzard. 10/10 quality game. Much playtesting.
>>
>>43820518
>Play Necro
>Sad I don't get to see the monsters since my skeletons wipe them off before they even arrive on screen
Perhaps you just sucked at necro
>>
>>43808399
>Red Lightning Hose of FUCK YOU.
Move up right next to him. Like you're trying to get n top of him. It misses you completely. Recently re-installed it and hit 55 on classic mode a few days ago. No botting or crap like that. Farmed the crap out of some Nightmare Diablo up until Bliz said hey guys ladder reset Nov 26th.
So now I'm just waiting to start back up again.
But it misses you completely if you get up on him. As long as you can block he'll just ice claw or lightning breath spam. I had a run and didn't use a single pot cause he did nothing but spam lightning breath over and over (that missed)
>>
>>43819388
>barb... useless shit on pve
It's like someone doesn't remember that the first max-level character on bnet was a barbarian, who famously farmed diablo solo twice a day
>>
>>43811065
Use the minion rules from 13th age maybe.
>>
>>43811065
You know, I usually rage when I hear "4e is a videogmae!!1!!" but I think that monsterwise it could go well for a diablo-style game. In fact, in my own campaign I often take inspiration from some of the "tricks" monsters pull when designing my own (which is 90% of the time since the rules for making monsters are great).
>>
>>43820598
For extra fun, team with a blessed hammer paladin with concentration aura.
>>
>>43807969
I actually liked the Witch Doctor, but I agree that trading the Necromancer for him was disappointing. If I could have both, I'd be happy. My only complaint is that they scrapped what I thought was the coolest mechanic the Witch Doctor was going to have. Early on in the dev cycle, I don't think runes were at thing, becasue the way the Witch Doctor was supposed to get variety in its minions was by casting attack spells on them, so that you could throw a firebomb onto one of your crawlers and it would catch fire and burn people while it mauled them, and then you could cast locust swarm on another and it would develop this cloud of locusts that would poison and try to spread to the enemies your minion attacked. It gave the Witch Doctor a more distinct feel from the Necromancer, some of which I think it lost.
>>
File: 1360107957389.jpg (199 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1360107957389.jpg
199 KB, 1366x768
>>43816684
You can play it in runescape mode if you are running a toaster.
>>
>>43823706
The game is still insufferably unoptimized at times. They still haven't fixed FPS drops when you open a strongbox with an exile in it, and it significantly reduces your fun if you play on hardcore
>>
>>43823879
I once blew up somebody's PC with a Cast on Crit Firestorm, Arctic Breath, Frost Wall + Increased Duration, socketed in a Whispering Ice.

Like, their GPU burst into flames and took their motherboard with it. It was a ten year old PC, but still.
>>
>>43806914
Are you living under a rock? Diablo 3 has been out for years.
>>
>>43824318
That is just brutal, man.
>>
>>43824318
If I hadn't played PoE on a mediocre PC myself, I wouldn't have believed you. At least Median Mod had the decency to just crash your game
>>
>>43806914
>grayish skies
>demonic and undead based bestiary
>survivalistic remains of an economy
>western-inspired religion imagery
You can reproduce this feeling in your basic D&D system, all you gotta do is eliminate what doesn't fit and you'll be left with a diablo-like campaign.
>>
>>43824969
It sucks and is nothing like diablo 2.
>>
>>43825159
Exactly. Use a horror movie style backdrop when possible for dungeons and adventure sites, but the play itself is action centric hack and slash.
>>
>>43822364
I think earlier editions, like the 2e Diablo supplement (really good) are better for the Diablo style feel, one thing that really hurts 4e is the lack of a monster between minion and "standard" level, one which poses a threat but doesn't get wiped from the map by 1 damage.
>>
>>43810958
I don't think it states that anywhere, the mono-gendered nature of most D2 classes is just that they had to settle on one.
>>
>>43825167
Ummm hello? It's DIABLO 3. Same creators. It's the same game only better graphics and plot line
>>
>>43825346
Presumably Amazons are actually all women, but other than that we know for certain that there are male Vizjerai, so the Sorceress isn't exclusively female. Barbarians get playable ladies in the sequel, and there are plenty of women in the barbarian lands in Lord of Destruction. The blacksmith in act two is a former paladin, so they accept both genders. Necromancer and Assassin might conceivably be signle-gendered, as kind of monastic orders, but we have no evidence either way. And I can't imagine druids being single gendered.
>>
>>43825386
> Same creator
No, because DII was made by Blizzard NORTH, and they aren't around anymore

> same gameplay
Nope. It's casualized to hell and back. Not to mention they had the WoW crew do the bullshit with it and throw out all the features that were in DII and WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO APPEAR IN DIII.

> better graphics
I'd argue if the graphics are good for today's standards.

> and plot line
What kind of weed were you smoking?
>>
>>43825432
Ah yeah, forgot about Amazons. There was a vague bit on how Sorceresses were women who wrested such and such from the Visjerei or whatever, but the slight difference between Sorcerers and Sorceresses didn't strike me as important. Especially since Iron Wolves use sorceress spells too.
>>
>>43825481
D3 core's plot is terrible, RoS's plot is really nice and what I expected the plot of D3 to be.
>>
>>43825337
>I think earlier editions, like the 2e Diablo supplement (really good) are better for the Diablo style feel, one thing that really hurts 4e is the lack of a monster between minion and "standard" level, one which poses a threat but doesn't get wiped from the map by 1 damage.

Leaving aside the fact that 1-hp minions serve the same purpose gameplay-wise of the many cannon-fodder critters (because, really, it's one thing if the PC keeps track of the HP of 10 mooks, but if I have to do it manually, no thank you), you can simply downscale enemies a couple of levels and have them be still threatening. Monster math in 4e is transparent.
>>
>>43825544
RoS also fixes a lot of bugs and issues, but this is not enough to fix a game like DIII.
>>
>>43825502
Well the Vizjerai are a loosely connected bunch of clans, right? You might have a clan that only teaches women the art of magic, but the magic itself wouldn't be too different from that stuff taught by other clans.
>>
>>43825583
>Leaving aside the fact that 1-hp minions serve the same purpose gameplay-wise of the many cannon-fodder critters

They really don't. Except at the beginning, while you can take on shitloads of enemies at once, they don't vaporize from being sneezed on.

I have tried many times to like 4e, but the lack of something a step past minions just killed it for me. No way to get back to the cool, fun, exciting big battles of yester editions.

>you can simply downscale enemies a couple of levels and have them be still threatening

They're still -crazy chewy-. That's the thing, one thing I really enjoy about earlier editions is the way that most monsters can be killed quickly, but you still have to put forth an effort. The strongest dragon in 1e core can obliterate a high level party with a single breath weapon attack, but in the MM it is also taken out by level 5 types.

I floored people with how in 2e, a balor just has 90ish hp on average, and that's an upgrade over their 1e counterparts. They can still obliterate a party FAST.
>>
>>43825697
Yeah, that works.
>>
>>43807929
The artist who worked on D2 doesn't work at Blizzard anymore so instead you get Samwise (the guy responsible for WIII and WoW's art) doing all the work.
In addition, the Infinity Engine (the shared graphics and game engine used by a ton of those isometric games during that period) didn't allow hyper-detailed models so weapons and armor were made to look simpler which kinda had them look more realistic.

The more sophisticated graphics engine of modern day allows for more detailed weapons, but making this detail visible required the weapons to be larger and more elaborate which had the ironic side effect of making the less realistic.
>>
>>43825757
Make 2 hit minions. First hit bloodies, second kills. 2 are worth 1 creature of equal level (as opposed to the 4 for "normal" minions). Probably a bit UP, but should be relatively well balanced.

This is putting aside that downscaling does work for making "fodder", lowering the defenses along with HP means they get taken out way faster and more reliably than level appropriate enemies. Anecdotal, but one of the DM reports from a dragon mag actual has a blurb on it going down well in a "real" game.
>>
>>43825386
Ummm hello? You need a brain transplant.
>>
>>43825757
>No way to get back to the cool, fun, exciting big battles of yester editions.

I've been playing D&D for almost 20 years and the yester editions don't even come close to holding a candle to 4e combat, if the DM know what he's doing.
You are thinking in terms of HP but that is only one of the many factors that go on. I don't think I'm going to convince you, but really you should give more credit to the design of 4e, especially for things like this.
>>
>>43825757
>No way to get back to the cool, fun, exciting big battles of yester editions.
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>43825481
>Blizzard NORTH
>aren't around anymore
I wonder why...

>casualized to hell and back
What does this actually even mean?

>I'd argue if the graphics are good for today's standards.
Still better than shitty D2

>What kind of weed were you smoking?
The D2 plot line was about as cliche as your joke was
>>
>>43826022
You sound like one of those "ugh it's old so it must be shit" high school kids.

>What does this actually even mean?
IME D3 requires a lot less planning for playing your character well. That was one of the charms of D2.
>>
>>43825890
>lowering the defenses along with HP means they get taken out way faster and more reliably than level appropriate enemies.

Well yeah, but minions become a freebie in remotely well balanced parties, while the rare, unfortunate party that doesn't have a warlock or someone else capable of effortlessly wiping out the minions by sneezing on them will have issues wiping them all out (just compare a party with, say, a dragon sorcerer and warlock vs melee minions, vs a party with melee single attack characters in a battle that has 10 ranged minions jammed into a corner -- same XP budget but one is drastically stronger). They just strike me as cutesy sideshow fodder, whereas I much prefer the less meta oriented monster design from OSR.

I'm not really thrilled by monsters that are just there to make the PCs look badass, although one could certainly argue that's the point of zombies, fallen, and so forth in Diablo.

Also, just on a personal basis, monsters that auto vaporize on their own don't make me feel badass.
>>
>>43825987
>if the DM knows what he's doing

The same is true for all editions, is the thing.

>You are thinking in terms of HP but that is only one of the many factors that go on.

I could also raise the issue of incredible fucking deadliness of many OSR beasties.
>>
>>43826022
>I wonder why
The left the company because they didn't like what Blizzard was doing. They went and made their own studio, which produced Hellgate: London.
>>
>>43807422
>OP wants to play similar RPG game to Diablo II
>suggest a board game

Literally retarded.
>>
>>43826118
>I'm not really thrilled by monsters that are just there to make the PCs look badass
That's basically what low HD monsters are in every edition. You didn't think that Fighters getting their level in free attacks against them in AD&D meant nothing, did you?
>>
>>43826073
>That was one of the charms of D2.
You mean it's the thing that makes it a fucking miserable experience and the thing that ruined it compared to Diablo 1. Fuck D2.
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>43826214
Then he should've posted on /v/. Fuck off.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/v/317848805
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.