[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 1326948886396.jpg (256 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
1326948886396.jpg
256 KB, 667x1000
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

What's your favourite third-party 5e product so far?
>>
>>43804966
>What's your favourite third-party 5e product so far?
I'm not even aware of any
>>
Um, Witch Hunter, I guess. What other ones are there?
>>
Is it worth using a higher slot to cast bless to cast it on more people?
Does the dwarf 'advantage on saves against poison' mean the poison effect, or both the effect and a save vs poison damage?
>>
>>43804966
>that top
I wish animu artists would look at how a shirt fits on a human before they drew it.
>>
Has anyone played a Bladesinger yet? My gut tells me they're too flimsy to gish, but maybe they work in practice?
>>
>>43805213
They work really well as long as you stay in the back and don't actually use that sword. They're more durable than any other wizard except maybe an abjurer, but nothing they do in melee is going to come anywhere close to the spells they enjoy as a full caster.
>>
>>43805213
I've only played one for a few sessions at level 8, but I managed to stay alive against an adult white dragon for a decent amount of rounds without the rest of my party thanks to some defensive spells. Your h.p. is really low, but as long as you prepare some spell for defense like shield, blur/mirror image, etc you should be fine.
>>
>>43805213
I'm about to start a camp where I plan on going 2 levels bladesinger for the blade song feature and then going paladin of vengeance or bladelock(fey). I don't want to wear armor but managed to roll 1 18 and put it in dex, and I want to get a headband of intellect to get +4ac when blade singing for a total of 22 ac. I chose paladin for the bigger HD since bladesinger alone seems way too squishy to build a gish.
>>
Hey so i have a seven floors dungeons themed with the seven deadly sins, a non euclidean mansion/tower where each floor slightly more fucked up than the last one, and the people who explored it became the monsters that the party is fighting. The goal is to make the party either kill each other or stay in a floor forever besides the usual dying to mobs or traps. I feel i'm doing it right so far, but i wanna get more ideas or interpretations of each deudly sin so it feels more creative and the party has a harder time figuring out which floor is which sin.
>>
>>43805293
Is that your goal, or the goal of whoever built the dungeon? There's an important difference.
>>
>>43805255
Why wasn't the dragon using its freezing breath?
>>
>Trying to intimdate dragon
>Use Enlarge on Goliath Fighter to make him huge
>Dragon backs the fuck off

Felt good
>>
>>43805361
I hope it was a wyrmling, or at least a stupid young one. Most dragons wouldn't be scared by a silly little wizard spell
>>
>>43805406
It was Adult Green.
>>
>>43805303
The goal of the dungeon. I would actually like for them to reach the top, and perhaps even survive the demon at the top.
>>
>>43804966
I want to swab her poopdeck
>>
>>43805423
If anything, a Green Dragon would pretend to be scared of you, only to fuck you up more later
>>
File: 5th_ed_foes.png (251 KB, 750x948) Image search: [Google]
5th_ed_foes.png
251 KB, 750x948
>>43804966
>What's your favourite third-party 5e product so far?
I like Necromancer Games's stuff, such as Book of Lost Spells or pic related.
>>
How often should rogues get unseen attacker? Once a combat? Every attack? Half the time?
>>
>>43805664

Too many variables:

Rogue Sneak skill
Opposition Perception skills
Lighting
Is the Rogue a halfling?

etc
>>
Does anyone know any good builds for a tempest cleric? I'm making a priest of Thor and feel like playing something strong but don't want to sacrifice flavour too much.
>>
>>43805664
Unless they turn invisible or take the Hide action from total cover or total concealment and beat everyone's Perception, it's assumed that everyone basically knows where the rogue is. Just going behind total cover is not enough.
>>
>>43805747
It's pretty hard to fuck up. Just make sure to prepare Healing Word and save some spell slots for getting people up and not just blasting people with lightning. I once had to play with a tempest cleric who kept trying to be a half-assed wizard and never got anyone up. Someone died on average once a session.
>>
Aside from Psionics (which seemed seriously phoned in) which alternative systems for powers are there?
>>
>>43805747

Assuming PB + Variant Human

Str-16 (15 + Racial)
Dex- 12
Con- 14 (13+ Resilient)
Int- 8
Wis-16 (15 + Racial)
Cha- 8

Chainmail + Maul for maximum Thorness

Just Viking that shit up
>>
>>43805829
Thanks, I think I'll try a Cha 10 but otherwise that's a very good fit. Is War Caster any good? I was going to take it but if there are better choices I'm fine with something else.
>>
>>43805913

Dex 10 and Cha 10 would be slightly less optimized based upon save frequencies but would probably work okay.

War Caster is personally kinda meh given the primary reaction spell that you'll be spamming via it is Sacred Flame (which is mediocre).

It's a solid feat but I never advise getting it at 1st level as using your reaction to bash with a maul or warhammer is generally better.
>>
Hey /tg/!
How do you make encounters, that the players have to flee from?
And how do you handle fleeing?

I want to enforce the idea that the players are special, but there's still badass things out there they can't take on (yet).
>>
>>43805967

Foes with slower than PC movement (or stationary foes).

Foes that are fighting another threat and largely ignoring the PCs because they are just pests.

Foes that can't follow because they are too large to follow through a narrow passage

I like having at least one encounter that basically encourages the PCs to run like little girls and live to fight another day.

If the PCs go full Leeroy Jenkins then I'm okay with a TPK.
>>
I've got an issue with a player who has trouble making characters that "fit the party". He's more of a writer than a gamer and all his characters are pretty unyielding in their philosophies. When I Pointed out that all of his characters are static and don't really every change or adapt to circumstances around them he pointed out that his characters are supposed to inspire change in those around him rather than adapt or compromise. Which works from a story-telling perspective but not in a game where other players are interested in accomplishing things that his idealogies get in the way of.

For example, he has a character that is staunchly opposed to killing for any reason. Which would be nice for RP and a good foil to the nurser hobos that make up the rest of the group but he's a little weak as a roll player to convince other people of his views. And the most irritating part is that rather than confront him in character my players all cowtow to him and let him get away with it, but then complain later out of character that he's hurting a lot of other people's character development and roleplaying experience.

Example: A vengeful vestige is possessing a woman and has used her body to commit atrocious deeds. A fellow party member has a bargain for his own soul that can only be paid off by banishing this vestige from the material plane. But our rigid character says he deserves redemption... And rather than talk to him about it or stand up for their own positions they just let him have his way because they're tired of fighting him about things knowing he won't change.

I feel like the rest of the party is the problem here but to all of them he's the problem...
>>
>>43805757
Why would they need to beat everyone's Perception and not just the person they're trying to attack?
>>
>>43805967
The DMG has rules on chases. Those work well for fleeing from an overwhelming force. When I make an encounter that's meant to be fled from, I try to make it obvious.

>"Ahead of you you see some goblins."
>"How many goblins?"
>"Roll Perception."
>"Okay, uh, 13."
>"Between 500 and 700 goblins."
>"I have a high Int, does that mean I can count things quickly?"
>"Sure, I'll let you make an Int check."
>"21!"
>"You see exactly 617 goblins."
>>
>>43806090
Maybe if it all happened in one round, but if someone else sees the rogue and attacks him, that usually gives away his position to everyone in the fight.
>>
has anyone taken a stab at making a Factotum style class yet?
>>
>>43806023

>For example, he has a character that is staunchly opposed to killing for any reason.

He should probably try another game, slaying things is really what D&D is built around.

Anyway, I'd say kick him out if he's so tiresome people have given up arguing with him.
>>
>>43806132
Yes, it's called Valor Bard.
>>
>>43805184
amen.
>>
>>43806023
He's the problem. The other players don't feel like playing the Moral Debate Game, but he does. Tell him to make a character that won't conflict with the rest of the party or pack up.
>>
>>43805423
The Green should not have been scared by that at all.
>>
So can Cantrips be swapped out on a level up for a Warlock?
>>
>>43806172

This. Enlarge only doubles height, so a six-foot barbarian would now be twelve feet tall. That's still significantly smaller than an adult green dragon.
>>
>>43805951
I wasn't planing on taking any other feats so WC would be useful later and I boost my Wis every 4 levels. Feel free to explain why I'm bad at this, I won't take offence.
>>
File: 1420447104761.jpg (393 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1420447104761.jpg
393 KB, 1200x1200
What do i give halfling subrace that lives in the mountains and fight Ogres / Trolls all the time?
I came up with 1 / long rest feature to impose a disadvantage on Large creatures attacks against character for a round. But i would like it to be something more in line with "always on" features like core subraces have:
>Stout Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
>Naturally Stealthy. You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.
>>
>>43806158
hmm I guess its pretty close, its just that I really hate Bards.
>>
>>43806315
Climb speed?
>>
>>43806315
>The Bigger They Are. You can make shove attacks against creatures 2 sizes or less larger than you, and have advantage on shove attacks against creatures 2 sizes larger than you.
>>
File: Db3.jpg (50 KB, 383x750) Image search: [Google]
Db3.jpg
50 KB, 383x750
>>43806196
>doubles height
>dong expands proportionally

you have ten seconds to explain why you wouldn't cast this before ravishing a stuck up ladyknight you bested in a fight
>>
How do dragons interact or react to one another? For example, how would a blue dragon interact or react to a green or silver dragon? Anyone have a link to where I could learn about this?
>>
>>43806490

Because I don't play D&D with creeps.
>>
>>43806214

With Variant Human (with Resilient - Constitution at 1st for the Con save Proficiency and the extra HPs) and 16 Wisdom you should hit 20 Wisdom at 8th level which means that you can use the remainder of your feat/ability score upgrades to bulk up other forms of utility.

War Caster is solid and will probably get better when Clerics get more cantrips.

I like Shield Master from a defensive perspective because it functions as a nice boost to your Dex saves which are often shit for most clerics.

For some cleric builds Magic Initiate for 2 druid cantrips (shillelah) and Goodberry is pretty awesome.

Other than that I like Inspiring Leader because it gives a nice source of bonus HPs and alot of Clerics will have good Charisma. If you have a Paladin this will likely be a better feat for them though.
>>
>>43806541
Your table sounds boring

Do you have X Cards so nobody gets a boo boo in the bad feels
>>
>>43806559

>implying PC rapists are a good narrative choice

Be careful with that edge you might poke yourself

Maybe you should leave your rape fantasies for your Rance games and leave them out of group roleplaying activities
>>
>>43806556
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>43806590
maybe you should stop assuming all groups are like yours

we are all adults, we like GoT and First Law, we know what happens in dark fantasy>>43806626
>>
>>43806590
>Talking like Rance dosen't have the best narrative of any series of games ever made
Might I suggest /r/RPG? or /r/DnD? They might be more acclimating to your tastes.
>>
>>43806663
People kept trying to drag me there, but MAAAAAN those places are boring as hell and rehash everything - somehow - harder than /tg/ does.
>>
>>43806502

Depends heavily on the setting and edition

In general though the Chromatics tend to fall in line behind the biggest bully (typically Red Great Wyrms) in a region and the Metallics tend to follow the lead of the eldest and wisest (typically a Gold Great Wyrm) in a region.

Keep in mind that Dragons are really long lived and typically try to avoid dying so they will tend to retreat if possible unless they are defending a lair or young. So a younger dragon will tend to retreat before an elder dragon even of a different species.

In general though I typically have the dragons willing to peacefully coexist whenever possible with one (or possibly two) adult dragons for a given range with a tendency to ignore neighbors as long as they respect territorial boundaries.

Wyrmlings are largely exempt from the rules governing adults as they often create lairs in areas that are technically under the control of adult dragons.
>>
>>43806559
2 edge lord for me.
>>
Anyone managed to make a Truenamer class yet?
>>43806681
>>43806663
Also the layout is beyond shit.
>>
>>43806661

Sounds like your group would be more comfortable running FATAL.
>>
>>43806489
>Aikido, the deadliest martial art.txt
Now, improved Climb onto the bigger creatures action from DMG might have been a decent choice.
But i think >>43806442 is the winner. Makes a fuckton of sense for all of them, not only fighting man, to be a proficient climbers.
As to not overlap with Rogue's Second-story work, i'll go with Stonecunning template:
>Whenever you make a Strength (Athletics) check to climb, you are considered proficient in the Athletics skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>43806661

Grim and Gritty is fine but PCs basically going around raping everything is way too edgelord for most gaming tables.

Leave it for narrative fiction instead of group activities.
>>
>>43806332
Then refluff bardic inspiration as faking your way through a divine ritual, or saying a prayer that isn't actually endorsed by the god in question but sounds convincing enough to have a placebo effect on others.
>>
>>43806193
Read the book.
>>
>>43806864
... What exactly do you think a factotum is?
>>
Has anyone found or made any interesting alternatives for Inspiration? I've got enough shit to track and I don't want to have to bother deciding when and why to award Inspiration to my players. I'd rather they just have a number of points they can spend to re-roll or do other shit, but I'm also looking for more interesting things they can do with it. I liked Pathfinder's hero points for their versatility, but I think they might be too powerful for 5e.
>>
File: 1447646501155.jpg (176 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
1447646501155.jpg
176 KB, 730x1095
So, here's a homebrew rule I came up with in another thread a few days ago, I figured here would be a good place to discuss it.

Variant Armour: In this variant, characters have two values, Defence and AC. Defence is 10 + Dexterity modifier, while AC is 10 + Dexterity modifier + Armour bonus/value + Shield bonus, as presented in the PHB. If an attack hits a creature's AC, it deals full damage. If an attack hits their Defence, but not their AC, they have resistance to it (i.e. it deals half damage). Dexterity maximums to AC also apply to Defence, so someone with 17 Dex in Half Plate has 12 Defence and 17 AC.

With this rule armour makes it harder for enemies to get a clean hit on a character, but doesn't make it harder for them to actually be struck in the first place. This rule also (generally speaking) makes characters easier to hit, because 2 points of AC is functionally equivalent to 1 point of Defence. Magic armour and shields would essentially increase both Defence and AC by 1 point per bonus.

The one issue with the above rule I can immediately see is that we'd have to determine whether the Barbarian and Monk unarmored benefits would add to Defence or AC. I'm thinking the full bonus would be added to AC and half the bonus would be added to Defence, but I haven't crunched the numbers on that yet. You could probably have it merely add to AC, and justify it as the character learning to brace for impact when they are struck.
>>
>>43805361
>Walking away from a chromatic dragon with a personal grudge.
I'm sure this will end well.
>>
>>43807141

You'd need to factor in Monster natural armor and how it works.

In general though it tends to make battles shorter and more lethal as they will be getting hit a lot more often.

It also tends to make dex even more of a god stat than it already is because it's more critical to have High Dex in this situation.
>>
>>43807105
I give players tiny permanent boosts to their class features. Our party's Paladin had a really interesting, thought-provoking discussion with a fellow healer about prioritizing wounded targets on the battlefield, so I gave her an extra permanent point of Lay on Hands. Another character fought a duel to protect a small village and nearly died, so I gave him permanent advantage to saves against fear effects. My players love these little touches and they love talking about previous campaigns and the small 'boons' I'd hand out to them.

The secret is that I almost never give my players magic items, so they get cool rewards that help them stay viable at higher levels of play and it makes them feel like their choices and roleplaying matters more.
>>
>>43807105
See character points in the DMG.
>>
>>43807202
I've always been a huge fan of this approach, because it incentivizes action and participation from players not only in combat, but in the roleplaying dimension of the game, too.
>>
>>43807198
Yep, that's absolutely true. For now I'm just assuming that their Defence is about 10 + their Dexterity modifier, which isn't hard to calculate, with a maximum of 10-12 for really heavily armoured targets like iron golems and dragons. Hitting a dragon isn't hard, it's landing a blow that will make a difference that matters.

The setting for this campaign is more low-fantasy and combat is meant to be a serious and dangerous affair, so I figure this rule adds more attrition to battle while still rewarding armour users.
>>
>>43806715
You realize you're overlapping a level 1 rogue ability to protect a subclass specific level 3 abilty?
>>
>Writing bomb defusal solo quest for one of my PCs to do during downtime
>Basing defusal on the game Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
>Needs to deactivate crystals based on position and color of other crystals
>Remember that this player is colorblind to at least 4 colors irl

fuck.
ok, I just need to make it based on shape I think. Dammit this was going to be kind of easy before I remembered this.
>>
File: whnt_04.jpg (1 MB, 1991x3196) Image search: [Google]
whnt_04.jpg
1 MB, 1991x3196
Is that Witch Hunter class that was made good? I really like the idea of being able to play as a Witcher with the Order of the Mutant, but it seems like it could be exploited kind of easily, maybe.
>>
>>43807538
It has a good offense, but I have a feeling it'll be something of a glass cannon with a d7 hit die.
>>
>>43807571

>d7

What sorcery is this?
>>
>>43807586
You see its main damage ability is this blood rite thing that empowers one weapon at the cost of reducing their max hp by 1 per level until they take a long rest. They have a D8 hit die.
>>
File: d7 pair.jpg (87 KB, 450x266) Image search: [Google]
d7 pair.jpg
87 KB, 450x266
>>43807586
Lou Zocchi, man.
>>
>>43807538
If memory serves, the Mutant archetype can be exploited a bit if you try to min-max the character, but otherwise the class itself seems to work fine as being a melee DPR concept.
>>
>>43804966
Kobold Press Tome of Beasts looks pretty promising.
>>
Guys we have a Dragonblood human Sorcerer that says he was raised by a Black dragon and so he developed dragon tendencies. We just got back from looting a pirate ship with a shit ton of gold and he doesn't want to spend any of his share, he just puts it in his house and lays on it.
>>
>>43805435
>>43805293

Can you poat more about what you already have for the various sins?
Also, for the lust room, do you kow any of your players fetishes? Are they willing to enter your magical realm?
>>
>>43807632
The design of that die would result in more 6s & 7s than any other number that isn't on the pentagonal side
>>
>>43807724
Doing it right.
>>
>>43807724

>he doesn't want to spend any of his share, he just puts it in his house and lays on it.

This player is the greatest roleplayer of all time.
>>
>>43807314
You do realize that Stonecunning already
>overlapping a level 1 rogue ability
as well right?
>>
>>43807072
Someone who fakes their way through divine, arcane, and martial power for brief periods but isn't quite as good as a specialist in any one. Dungeonscape described them as often carrying a lot of mismatched charms and holy symbols and insincerely currying the favor of whatever gods might be listening at the time, which is sometimes enough to let them act like a cleric for a little while. So if you don't want to play music to buff people, just say you're doing fake prayers to produce the same effect.
>>
>>43805165
Wait, are you talking the Witch Hunter class Matt Mercer came up with specifically for Vin Deisel?
Because there's a gunslinger class he made too as an archetype for fighters for those folk who really wanna give it a go.
>>
>>43807724
I mean... props for sticking to his character, I guess? Not like Sorcerer's need to buy much shit anyway.
>>
>>43808000
Wasted trips tbph
>>
>>43807932
The word you're looking for is Charlatan. A Factotum is a private servant, typically of a mercantile nature.

Don't use words you don't know the meaning of.
> But it's the third-party supplement's fault!
Serves you right for using third-party effluent.
>>
>>43807724
Cool.
>>
>>43808071
But the Factotum isn't a 3rd party class, its from Dungeonscape, a licensed WotC book, which was also written by Rich Burlew of Order of the Stick fame.
>>
>>43808071
So every barbarian in D&D has to come from an uncivilized tribe?

And every paladin in D&D is from a particular order of twelve French warriors?

And druids are all of a particular class in Celtic society?

Do you really think you're being smart or cool by intentionally ignoring that words can have different meanings in a game than in reality? Fuck off, idiot.

Also,
>Dungeonscape
>third-party
"Don't use words you don't know the meaning of."
>>
>>43807105
My group is just more flexible with it. I've used it to get back a rage, spellcasters use it to get a spell slot of 5th or lower back, Bard used it to get a free bardic inspiration. Just allow people to use it to restore some of their long rest stuff with exception of the monk. Let them get killed back from it.

All within reason and balance of course. Some of this stuff requires a long rest for a reason
>>
>>43807932
Like Beni from the Mummy?
>>
>>43808418
kinda
>>
>>43808160
>But the Factotum isn't a 3rd party class, its from Dungeonscape, a licensed WotC book
> licensed
> not third party
There you go using words you don't know again.

>>43808280
It's interesting that you're using pedantry to accuse me of being a pedant. I'll bite:

The barbarian class implies a wildman. The Paladin class implies a knight of a holy order. The Druid class implies a magic nature dude. These things have all been true historically.

A Factotum/Factor has never, ever been a religious figure. A Factotum is a tradesman who works in or between a feitoria, or trade factory.

> smart or cool
Well, I'm having an argument on 4chan, so neither of those. How about you? You stroke your e-peen enough yet?
>>
>>43808280
> French warriors
> The Carolinians were French
I see the /tg/ armchair history brigade is out in force today.
>>
File: Dungeonscape_cover.jpg (574 KB, 1300x1968) Image search: [Google]
Dungeonscape_cover.jpg
574 KB, 1300x1968
>>43808917
The Factotum isn't 3rd party. It was published by Wizards of the Coast in February 2007.
>>
>>43808983
>Carolinians
Carolingans**.

That's what I get for trying to be clever.
>>
>>43808917

The definition of a factotum is someone with a variety of skills and responsibilities. Apart from being the colloquial use of the term it also best represents the design goal of the class.
>>
>>43808917
And in the context of D&D, the factotum was an extreme generalist class with divine, arcane, and martial abilities. When someone asks "has anyone taken a stab at making a Factotum style class yet?" in a 5e thread and capitalizes "Factotum," it can be assumed that they mean the D&D class and not an antiquated term for a servant.
>>
>>43809048
See >>43807932. You know, if you care.
>>
>>43808917
>The Paladin class implies a knight of a holy order. The Druid class implies a magic nature dude

The two aren't comparable. The paladin is someone who has abilities and behavior similar to a holy knight, but he is certainly not automatically part of a holy order.

Classes haven't been about social classes for a LONG fucking time. That's, MAYBE, a 1st edition thing.

>never, ever been a religious figure

Most classes are fine for religious figures, even drow priestesses don't have to be clerics and vice versa.
>>
>>43805293
Lust or Sloth should be like 3 or 4 floors up, hopefully before they realize the theme. Some kind of false end, maybe a doppelganger pretending to be an old ally with an easy way out.
>>
>>43808917
If we're going to be pedantic about it, you'd better not talk about paladins unless you're specifically referring to members of Charlemagne's court, nor to druids unless you're referring to ancient British Celts who practiced human sacrifice. These words certainly do not have different meanings in the context of D&D.
>>
>>43807314
You can just choose a different expertise, that's not really a problem.
>>
>>43804966
Really tunnel fighter?
Tunnel fighter + sentinel + polearm master...
>>
So /5eg/ what hirelings/henchmen are following your group of murderhobos on adventures?

Typically the low level PCs in my campaigns typically have the following:

Local Guide - typically some gruff outdoorish type that is willing to guide the PCs to the local dungeon and stay with the gear and animals. Typically an older type with the equivalent of levels with a crossbow. Absolutely will not go into the dungeon. Absolutely will abandon the party if they act shitty to him

1-2 local young laborers - typically take care of the PCs campsite. Not even remotely effective as fighters but can keep wolves from eating you ponies. Typically perform various tasks like grooming the animals, fetching water, cooking dinner, etc. Absolutely will not go into the dungeon.

1 Torchbearer/Linkboy- one plucky youngster that is willing to go into the dungeon and carry a light source. Next to worthless as a combatant but if the PCs give him a spear/club he can probably keep from stabbing himself accidentally. Relatively high mortality so you better have some cash to play his family a weregild
>>
>>43809910
>Number of times the word typically is used in this thread: 11
>Number of times the word typically is used in this post: _6

If I had to guess I would say you posted this >>43806689 as well.

That means you account for 91% of /5eg/'s typically's prior to this post. Yikes.
>>
>>43809910

My players got their hands on a pirate ship and set out to nautical adventures. I originally meant for it to work a little like One Piece, with every player taking a role on the ship that reflects or uses their class in some way - the ranger using his tracking abilities to become a navigator, the bard acting as captain to give rousing speeches while the fighter whips the crew into shape and leads the boarding party, that kind of thing.

Instead all four decided to co-captains and the only boarding party. They're now accompanied by a tribe of interchangeable kobolds who do the actual business of sailing for them to pay off a life-debt.
>>
>>43810335
Who is the cook? A talented kobold?
>>
>>43810362

A small team of kobolds in chef hats. They compensated for the height of the counters and stovetops by dragging in benches.
>>
>>43810162
Typical.
>>
>>43809910
My party doesn't have any hirelings, but if we wanted we could go fetch some goblin arquebusiers and shit, but we mostly leave them to run goblin island for us.
>>
>>43810335
>>43810403

Kobold retainers is pretty kawaii plus you don't have to feed them as much and you can pretty much stick them down in the bilges rather than giving up good cabin or storage hold space.

I could see using kobold crew members for the next Spelljammer campaign I do
>>
>>43810600

>goblins
>smoke powder
>unsupervised at home base

It's like you like coming home to big fires and lots of dead animals
>>
>>43810335
>The entire chain of command also goes out on all away missions

That some pretty Star Trek shit right there. But who commands the kobolds while the whole team is away? What if they realize they can just sail away, or lure the party into a death trap?
>>
>>43805184
qft
>>
>>43810723

Kobold in a fancy captain's hat. Their whole society runs on hats.

The PCs are less a part of the command structure and more like passengers who get to set destinations while a weird Kobold culture evolves on the ship.
>>
>>43810335
My players recruit hirelings to do their adventuring for them. They're rich and famous so they can pretty much afford to have the rif-raf of goblins taken care of by a big army of hirelings.

Little do they know that there are no goblins, and the hirelings are scamming them out of their gold. Not that this makes any real difference, but it gives me the warm fuzzies to know I'm secretly screwing them over. I need help.
>>
>>43810628
Eh, they're being supervised by a mind flayer, a drider, a stone giant, and whatever horrible goblinesque beasts the mind flayer's eugenics program cooks up, we should be good.
>>
>>43811310

>Mind Flayer
>leaving him in charge

>Not expecting to come home to a really fat Mind Flayer and no goblins still alive
>>
>>43811343
He hunts via plane shift. Just teleports over to the middle of nowhere (planarly speaking), eats someone whose buddies can't cast plane shift, and comes back the next day.
>>
>>43811155
>No evidence of Goblins found.
>Aren't I paying you to get rid of goblins?
>Workin' awful well ain't it?
>>
>>43811550
They don't even bother checking, they just pay them and then get on with exploring distant lands. Right now they're setting off on a ten year voyage to map an explored continent. To throw some drama into the story I'm planning on having them come back to find their holdings turned against them, their stewards having gotten too big for their boots while they were gone.
>>
>>43807976
Where?!
>>
>>43811823
Right over heeeeere nigguh https://www.dropbox.com/s/82o72v47ddc8lzz/Gunslinger%205E.docx?dl=0
>>
>>43811922
Note that the "Bad News" is a specially crafted weapon by the character Percy in Mercer's DnD group/podcast which is a sort of Railgun/sniper rifle thing.
>>
Am I the only person dissatisfied with how they handled Plate in 5e?

Every other armor type in the game has some reason why you would wear it rather than a heavier type, you might choose breastplate over halfplate because you don't want disadvantage on stealth, or you might take chain mail over splint because of the lowered strength rating. Shit, if you don't have a positive dex modifier you might even take Ringmail over Halfplate if you want the Heavy Armor Master feat damage reduction.

But Plate is just flat-out better than Splint with no greater strength requirement or other downside other than being somewhat expensive.
>>
>>43807141
This seems like a poorly thought out thing. I can get that you want to make combat more deadly, but just make everyone do double damage then.

This really skews things towards dex (and there wasn't a whole lot of reason to go str in the first place, heavy weapons for GWM and... thats it). On top of that, this does nothing for characters that already have resistance to damage. Like seriously, just remove barbarians from the game at this point, they have no reason to rage or use str based weapons because dex is so much better, and there is no such thing as double resistance.

On top of this you have also turned the defense dynamic on its head by now making WIZARDS the ones with the best AC (as if bladesinger already didn't make that bad enough) since mage armor is now the best armor in the game.

You have to think though a lot of corner cases for this, and you are completely removing some archetypes and classes from the game. I would come up with something different if I wanted to make combat more lethal.
>>
>>43805967
Make it obviously more than a match for them, but set up the environment to make an escape easy. I've once had an ancient dragon stalk and assault a mid-level party, but gave them a convenient avalanche-in-waiting to aid their escape.
>>
>>43812012
Its VERY expensive, and some armors are just worse than others(studded leather is the best light armor, no question and you aren't bitching about that), the main things is that armor TYPES aren't that much better than each other . Light and medium are on the same page, heavy gives 1 more AC in exchange for cost, disadvantage on stealth, and the difficulty of being proficient.
>>
>>43807724
I like this guy.
>>43809910
Our knight's entourage, a shady scholar and a mercenary/tracker.

How do you fa/tg/uys suggest handling advancement in prestige classes? Is it halal to put another feature at 4th level alongside an ability score increase, or would it be better to make it a second 5th level feature?
>>
>>43807925
>>43809543
The ability is fine, it just seemed like faulty reasoning for why that was the specific kind of ability chosen.
>>
Did I read the book right, that you heal all of your hit points after a long rest?

Does this mean serious injury is only handled by Ability damage?
>>
>>43813676
There's also lingering injuries from the DMG's many variants.
>>
>>43813676
Ability damage isn't really a thing. Most penalties to ability scores that creatures inflict go away after a short or long rest.

If you want a grittier game, I've found that requiring hit dice to be spent on long rests (an official variant in the DMG) works well.
>>
>>43813738
Here's how I do it:
You can heal one HD on a short rest, with extra points if you're eating good and getting proper care during that short rest (like one or two HP at best)
And you can spend HD willy nilly during a long rest, getting a few back at the end (so no free heals) at the end of said rest depending on the level of rest
Like, if you're in the wilderness and you're living off rations, you're gonna be getting 1 HD back, but if you've spent a day in town with not much going down and you're getting good drink and food, you'll get a lot more HD back.
>>
>>43805664
Being hidden gets you advantage on the attack, but don't forget that any enemy threatened by an ally is fair game for sneak attack damage.
>>
>>43813676

HP are not meat points
>>
Anyone willing to trade magic items? I have the black bow from herald of the moon but my Paladin can't use it.
>>
>>43814628
I'm sure in big enough city I'm sure there'd be an adventuring party or two with someone who could use an archery upgrade. The trick is finding one with a paladin who has an extra magic item for your paladin.
>>
>>43814666
Satan I just need like an axe or a hammer or something, my Paladin is level 9
>>
>>43804966
At least she's dressed for a swim when the DM invariably sinks the boat.
>>
>>43808299
>>43807202
Thanks, I'm definitely going to use both of these.
>>
Would there be any issues if I changed the casting stat to intelligence and swapped radiant for psychic damage for a custom paladin archetype?
>>
How difficult is OOTA? I'm thinking about going for a 6/9 Paladin (Crown)/Fighter (Battlemaster) build and was wondering if I'm going to gimp myself? The party has a Bard, a Light Cleric, a Fighter (going full Battlemaster) and a Ranger.
>>
>>43815956

In a broad sense, I think Radiant has more vulnerabilities, and also, possibly more resistances then psychic does, but it's not a big enough deal to really upset balance. Changing from CHA to INT doesn't matter, as neither of them are WIS, which is one of the three major saves.
>>
>>43816189
I'm playing in it currently as a single-class Paladin 9. The only thing that has been really problematic has been all the black puddings melting my weapons and armor. Otherwise, there has been smiting a-plenty thanks to all the fiends and such.
>>
Just popping by for a quick question. Do we have Warforged material yet?
>>
>>43816737
Eberron Unearthed Arcana. It's playtest-level material and reception is mixed.
>>
>>43816761
So does that mean it is out yet or is it still playtest?
>>
>>43816787
It is out, in playtest form. It'll be some time before we see any official Eberron books and it's unlikely we'll get a non-playtest version of the Warforged until then.
>>
>>43816799
Thanks kind anon. You have been helpful and it is appreciated.
>>
>>43816787
Playtest means its usable (albeit possibly unbalanced, broken, or unfinished) for kitchen table games, but not legal for use in formal organized play. Stuff from Unearthed Arcana or playtest documents doesn't become available for organized play until it's printed in a real book. For example, the Swashbuckler archetype for rogues is now available since it's in the SCAG.
>>
>>43816799
We gotta suffer through another year of shitty forgotten realms adventures before we get any kind of mechanical splatbook

This focus on FR isn't just terrible because FR is a really stupid setting with decades of baggage filled with mary sues and a billion interchangeable gods no one gives a fuck about., It's also really irritating for someone who writes their own campaign settings that we're not getting more setting agnostic material to drag and drop into our own campaigns.
>>
>>43816189
OotA is a bit odd with difficulty as far as I have seen thus far. (I'm Lv 4 atm) your first session will allways be the hardest because your bare naked in jail and you have to find a way out. Many avenues are presented to the party but most will involve combat and if you botch up your social interactionswith the prisoners and dont get a key or a lockpick you will struggle to beat even the weakest of enemies. However, the difficulty curve quickly drops after the party is out of the jail and well equipped again.

Overall i would say average party vs demon difficulty.
>>
>>43816869
The material is written to be as setting agnostic as possible and there is literally one fucking mention of Drizzt in a year, so kindly calm down.
>>
>>43816952
doesn't change the fact that the only classes/feats/spells that have come out have been tied to settings, or weirdly enough, adventures as with the elemental evil players guide.

We were told that SCAG would be the first book to bring new character options and only 20% of it had anything of worth.

We need a splatbook, not more tales about elminster dicking the god of magic again.
>>
>>43816869
WotC has no plans for a mechanical splatbook. Any additional things we get will be tied to a setting or story thematically. The only "maybe" we've gotten is that psionics might be in a system-agnostic book, but that was Mearls shooting the shit and he's generally an idiot about this sort of thing.
>>
>>43817025
exactly my point. we're going to be stuck having everything tied to the realms because the realms is apparently selling so well.

I doubt they'd want to change the formula to focus on another setting if the realms is selling well enough as the 'official' setting.
>>
What chance is there of getting the Truenamer in 5e? It had easily the best fluff of any class.
>>
>>43817007
Currently, they aren't planning to do splat books. The model in SCAG is what you can look forward to going forward.

>>43817054
They definitely want to put out book for other settings. Every poll they've done indicates that there's a tremendous amount of interest in them. Dropping an Eberron, or a Dark Sun, or a Ravenloft, will bring in a pretty good surge of cash.

But they have to do the basics first.

I would expect most of the adventures to be nominally set in Forgotten Realms though, while being mostly setting agnostic, with details in the back on how to adapt it to the setting of your choice.

>>43817095
How would you make a Truenamer that didn't work via rolling against DC's to make his all of his spells work?
>>
I want to build a hardboiled detective style character in 5e.

That basically means I need to have a high Int, Wis, and Con, and at least a decent Cha. It also means I need to have access to Investigation, Insight, Perception, Deception, Intimidation, and Persuasion, and if possible also Athletics and any of the other Int-based skills.

Is this doable? What class do you think works best mechanically and flavor-wise for this?
>>
Is there something wrong with just playing core races and classes? Is it really that hard to make an interesting character without a hundred special snowflake options?
>>
>>43817095

Maybe as a new school for wuzards, akin to what happened to artificers. Wizards seems averse to actual new classes instead of just making them new options for the base classes.
>>
>>43817127

what the fuck is a detective doing running around in a dungeon killing goblins?
>>
>>43817127
Rogue or paladin, though you'd be hard-pressed to pull off a decent multiclass of the two. Max Dex and Cha and do an even Con/Int split. The new Mastermind archetype might fit it. If you're in a combat-heavy campaign you might have a bad time, though.
>>
>>43817148
>being such a shitty detective that you give up just because the clues are leading you into a goblin-infested dungeon
>>
>>43817148

Solving the case of who killed the goblins. [spoilers]It was him. [/spoiler]
>>
>>43817124
>will bring in a pretty good surge of cash
That aspect, I suspect is also kind of a thing.

They're going relatively slow but like, sure, reviving settings is great and they probably will, but doing it the way 2e did with 5 million fluff splats for every setting will just kill them again, except instead of going under it will be the board at Hasbro closing down the D&D division.
>>
>>43817134
sometimes you just want to have a different set of races than "dwarf, elf, orc."

It's nice to have options when fleshing out your world.

>>43817124
>but they have to do the basics first

Haven't the basics been done for a long time? and how much more of the realms are we going to have to sit through before we get to 'the good shit'?
>>
>>43817095
>What chance is there of getting the Truenamer in 5e?
Almost zero.
>>
>>43817148
>running goblin-raiding dungeons when your players obviously put in effort with roleplay-able characters
And here's the crux of the problem since the beginning of 3e. Of course the game feels like a fucking mmo if you're a shit tier dm.

>>43817134
Core only is mostly okay, I do like having the SCAG archetypes as options though, and I've been tempted to make Eladrin the standard HE for my games.
>>
>>43817095
Roughly 0.000...1%. Which is a real shame. I loved Tome of Magic. I also thoroughly enjoyed Magic of Incarnum and some of the other obscure classes and races. Also, Eldritch Knight is no replacement for Duskblade. I want proper Duskblades back.

And coincidentally, the chances of Truenamer coming back are exactly equal to the chances of the Ghostwalk setting ever getting reused. Also a shame.
>>
File: Fletch the Helper.jpg (62 KB, 456x1000) Image search: [Google]
Fletch the Helper.jpg
62 KB, 456x1000
>>43809910
My party will have to get a hireling soon. They have a carriage and horse and the driver just recently "died" while trying to steal from the BBEG's secret base alone. Luckily the base was in a large town with plenty of young farmhands ready to go and explore the world.

On a side note, what armor / weapon / skill / tool proficiencies would be fine for a commoner who is also a carriage driver? I was thinking club, quarterstaff, dagger, and light crossbow for weapons and light alone for the armor. animal handling and survival would be the skill proficiencies, he would have vehicle proficiency so he could do his main purpose in the party, and he would be a cook with cooking utensils for some flavorful background on his passion in life. Would this be too much or would it be fine since its only flavor stuff? I'm only giving him combat stats for if the party forces him to fight.
>>
>>43817127
Mastermind Rogue, City Watch background (Investigator variant)

I've been playing one for about a month in an Eberron game, and it's been loads of fun.
>>
>>43817194
>Haven't the basics been done for a long time
>First setting guide ever for the edition, focused on one subregion of a much larger setting, the same region that holds fucking Neverwinter, and the same subregion as the new Baldurs-gate style Vidya game. Designed as an easy way to bring in the attention of people who play the games and have never really considered the tabletop.

Are you fucking high? Nothing's been done for a long time yet. Everything's new. All products are now going to be released as parts of larger, cross-product themes. (Sword Coast Adventuer's Guide, same region as Sword Coast Legends, which has the same module as Out of The Abyss, which features the iconic (If dreaded) Drizz't, who has a new novel out, and Neverwinter has a new Rage of Demons thing going on, which is also related to all the above.

All of this is going to take a lot of work, so we can probably look forward to about two or three of these a year. We'll see the other settings get some love eventually, but it's going to take for fucking ever.
>>
>>43817127
I would say go Half-elf or human to get extra skill proficiencies outside of your class and background. Definitely go rogue as your class and I would advise going mastermind for the archetype but arcane trickster works just as well if not better if your pumping int. Background idk what would fit best but check SCAG because I swear they have something perfect for you in there. It's definately doable but you also need to make sure you understand your character may not get to solve too many mysteries detective style unless your playing in a home game. if this is for a home game then this will be grand. Have fun.
>>
>>43817310
so we're gonna have to sit through subregions of subsections of subkingdoms of subcontinents of FR before we can ever see something new, or update someplace to the modern edition like eberron, or go back to someplace that hasn't been touched in 3 editions like Krynn?

Man I fucking hate the realms.
>>
>>43817446
Yep. It'll happen, eventually. I'd say maybe Eberoon next year, then Darksun a year or two after that.
>>
>>43817530
I still don't understand why they just can't throw out a splat once a year of mechanical stuff like classes, races, spells, magic items and stuff

or even go the lazy route and make it a compilation of the stuff they put out in UA and other adventures. It'd sell.
>>
File: ayyliens.gif (2 MB, 350x242) Image search: [Google]
ayyliens.gif
2 MB, 350x242
>>43817560
i, too, can't understand why D&D Mearls Houserules edition is a legacy brand supported by a skeleton staff
>>
>>43817007
>We were told that SCAG would be the first book to bring new character options and only 20% of it had anything of worth.

Eh, I found the whole book pretty worthwhile. But then I occasionally run realms or just blatantly rip it off so what do I know?
>>
>>43817560
Because they think that somehow everything being tied together will help ensure consistency in all products, and help promote all products.

And as>>43817603
says, skeleton crew that mainly exists to keep the IP alive.
>>
>>43817560
Personally I'm adverse to setting-agnostic crunch. Maybe that's my bad experiences with 3.5 talking but it always seemed to be the worst fuel for power gaming and optimization. Which is fine once in a while but gets old fast when it becomes all the game is about.
>>
I haven't played 5e since they introduced Rangers in the playtests, and I'm curious if there was a reason given for the removal of the halfling racial dagger damage bonus.

I had intended to make a halfling wizard focused on stabbing people, and by the time the DM who was going to run the game got around to it, they'd already put out the next playtest packets that removed the racial.
>>
>>43812408
First, sorry for the late response.

>This seems like a poorly thought out thing. I can get that you want to make combat more deadly, but just make everyone do double damage then.
Well, no, that's not what this rule does. It doesn't increase the amount of damage characters deal with attacks. Doubling everyone's damage, or halving their hit points, would result in something totally different. What variant armour does is make it so that armour doesn't reduce how often you are hit, only how severe some of those hits are. It doesn't alter the maximum or minimum damage suffered round by round, only the expected DPR (and not by much, really). It skews with attrition, not burst damage potential.

>This really skews things towards dex
No, it just means that heavy armour is no longer as effective a replacement for high dex, in the same way that using a martial/exotic weapon shouldn't be an effective replacement for high str.

>this does nothing for characters that already have resistance to damage
Yes it does. If someone hits your AC and you have resistance to physical damage... you still have resistance to physical damage. I should mention that in my 5E game if you have resistance against the same type of damage twice (i.e. from two different sources) then it becomes immunity, so armour in my variant is actually just as valuable numerically for someone with resistance to physical damage. I probably should have mentioned that earlier, as stacking physical resistance was indeed a concern while I was designing this.

>you have also turned the defense dynamic on its head by now making WIZARDS the ones with the best AC ... since mage armor is now the best armor in the game.
Not if Mage Armour adds to, you know, Armour Class and not Defence. Which makes sense since it's called, you know Mage ARMOUR. I pretty much figured that was implied.

>you are completely removing some archetypes and classes from the game
Would you care to elaborate on this?
>>
>>43817603
>>43817702
>skeleton crew that mainly exists to keep the IP alive

Does anyone even play Neverwinter or Sword Coast Legends? I understand that the novels have some reach, (with who I don't fucking know, Drizzt is like the Jace of Forgotten Realms; inexplicably popular with an audience I've never met or heard from), but the video games? Really?

It kinda makes me salty that we didn't get stats for the Ithiliches and didn't see more of Orcus in OotA because they were in the games.
>>
How do i learn about the lore of forgotten realms the wiki is so confusing and all over the place

also any tips for a new DM?
>>
>>43817803
>No, it just means that heavy armour is no longer as effective a replacement for high dex, in the same way that using a martial/exotic weapon shouldn't be an effective replacement for high str.

>Take away one of the few advantages of playing Strength over Dex
>THIS DOESN'T MAKE THE GAME SWING TOWARDS DEX GUISE
>My house rules makes it all okay!

Retard.
>>
>>43817818
Find PDFs of the 3rd edition FR lore, read the SCAG. Disregard 4e, 5e's attitude is basically that 4e lore was a mistake.

Don't fuck it up, trust your instincts.
>>
>>43817777
Because racial bonuses to specific weapons is dumb.

Yes, the elven and dwarven weapon proficiencies, too.
>>
>>43817843
perfect just what i needed thanks
>>
>>43817753
I am, in fact, extremely fond of having an agnostic core and shit that's explicitly stated to be for a specific setting even if it's usable elsewhere. It's always been the best way to have a basis to remind players that, no, you don't have to use it because it's published material.

>>43817805
There is, oddly enough, still a small online player base for both NWN games but afaik, not Neverwinter and SCL is kinda shit.
>>
>>43817777
They removed all racial bonuses to weapon damage, based on the premise that, if your elf is good with longswords it's punishing players that want to use rapiers, and if elves are the best longswordmen, you're punishing human longswordsmen.

I mean, that's probably what they thought, or what they survey's showed. I thought it was neat, but I can also see why it's gone.
>>
>>43817805
I'm playing Sword Coast Legends right now. The writing's fun, feels like a DnD campaign with your bros. (That doesn't mean it's good.)

The combat is kinda shit. I don't think this game is going to be putting DnD back on the map.

>>43817803
This objectively favors dexterity characters over strength characters. If you think they're imbalanced then you need to present that at the start.
>>
>>43817822
Let me explain something to you.

I'm arguing from a diegetic perspective. A soldier with 10 Dexterity and wearing plate armour should not be as difficult to strike as an unarmored man with 26 Dexterity. 40 pounds of heavy metal should not cause a giant's club to be deflected, nor should it somehow be able to turn the 50 damage it would normally deal into zero. Armour cushions the blow, it doesn't make you harder to hit.

You're arguing from a diegetic perspective. Dexterity is a powerful attribute and heavy armour is one of the ways Strength builds compensate and stay relevant. I understand that, and I agree that Dexterity is a powerful attribute, but implementing a rule that just doesn't make -sense- isn't the answer.

There are ways to make Strength more relevant - having carry capacity be at a premium, for example, or requiring Strength for Medium as well as Heavy armour sets. I've already implemented other rules for my own homebrew that make Strength a more important and interesting stat, such that even spellcasters need to invest a little in it or suffer.

My point is, you can't just focus on the mechanics working perfectly for players, it also has to make sense in the world of the game. Otherwise, your game suffers as a whole.
>>
>>43818028
>Dnd is a simulation
This is wrong.
>I have many homebrews
You need to present this shit man.

If you want to tweak DnD to make it more simulationist that's fine, but it's not an objective truth.
>>
>>43818028
>realism
It's a game, I really don't care. Also, fucking encumbrance isn't a solution. It's boring, and can be circumvented by buying a donkey and tying your crap to the donkey.
>>
>>43818028
>My point is, you can't just focus on the mechanics working perfectly for players, it also has to make sense in the world of the game. Otherwise, your game suffers as a whole.
This is dumb and wrong. 5e's focus on player-world interaction instead of world-world interaction doesn't hamper it in the slightest.
>>
>>43817603
I looked it up, most the writers for the articles on the websites are freelancers.

Books selling very well, I don't know why its not being supported.
>>
>>43818068
>Hit points aren't meat points, they're a combination of luck, stamina, and the ability to take damage in game terms.
It's funny that you mention that hit points are a factor of luck, because neither class hit dice nor constitution have any element of luck hard-coded into them (especially not if you're taking the average hit points per level instead of rolling). 5E defines hit points as "how tough your character is in combat and other dangerous situations" (page 12, PHB), luck isn't referenced at all.

>Armor class isn't the ability to hit at all, it's the ability to deal damage, which heavy armor's set bonuses represent.
Let's perform a thought experiment then, shall we? A Storm Giant swings its greatsword at a soldier in plate armour (AC 18) and his attack roll is a 17, missing by 1 point. The soldier would have been hit solidly for 30 damage were he not wearing his armour, but instead the attack misses and deals zero damage. How do you rationalize this from an in-game perspective?

>>43818107
All games are simulations, the only difference is the method by which they simulate this.

>>43818121
You're welcome to not care.

>>43818132
Not once have I referenced world-world interaction, I'm looking entirely at how characters interact with the world and how it interacts with them. I don't see how you could have misconstrued this.
>>
>>43817844
>>43817945

Yeah, I had assumed as much...something like skewing race/class choices too much. Was just wondering if there was an official statement anywhere.
>>
>>43818294
Hasbro has two kinds of budgets. Big, and small. They don't do anything other then those. So you have G.I Joe, Transformers, etc. Those are big. When you're a big project, you get lots of money, and you need to lots of returns. If you aren't a big project, you get a small amount of money.

When Hasbro bought Wizards, they knew Magic was going to be big, but they weren't sure about 4e. By pretty much any measurement, 4e actually did pretty well for a TTRPG. However, there's no way a game like DnD can pull in the cash that cardboard crack does. So, 4e was scrapped early because it wasn't making the skyscraper returns Hasbro expects for being a big project.

5e is a skeleton crew because Hasbro's not going to give it more money, because it will never make enough to be worth it, according to their corporate structure.

Source; random gossip on /tg/.
>>
>>43818344
I know people throw the term autistic around pretty lightly these days, but are you actually autistic?

Anyway, why don't you lay out your homebrew system. It could show why your fix is warranted.
>>
>>43818396
No, I'm not autistic nor on the spectrum. What would make you think that? All I'm saying is that 5E has a crummy model for Armour Class and I think I can do better.

I'd prefer not to lay out more of my homebrew as it's extensive and I would rather keep some of the ideas to myself.
>>
>>43818344
>Not once have I referenced world-world interaction, I'm looking entirely at how characters interact with the world and how it interacts with them. I don't see how you could have misconstrued this.

You haven't referenced it, you're just ignoring it entirely. Your bonkers quest for "realism" is simply going to make the game unbalanced and probably nowhere near as fun as if you'd just left well enough alone. What exactly have you done to make strength as good as dex? Because dex is already probably a better stat to invest in for most classes, and making heavy armour terrible is only going to make dex more powerful.
>>
>>43818512
>All I'm saying is that 5E has a crummy model for Armour Class and I think I can do better.

>I'd prefer not to lay out more of my homebrew as it's extensive and I would rather keep some of the ideas to myself.

>What would make you think that?
>>
File: 1444766512171.png (21 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
1444766512171.png
21 KB, 625x790
>>
>>43818512
Because you're overly obsessed on realism, in a system that won't benefit from it. It's spergy as fuck.

The way you type is pretty shit too.
>Let's perform a thought experiment then, shall we?
>How do you rationalize this from an in game perspective?
>The soldier would have been hit solidly, were he not wearing his armor.
If you don't want to come off as a sperg, you need to type more colloquially.

Also, no one's going to agree with your shit armor system that punishes STR builds if you don't explain what your game does to make this even.
>>
>>43817231
I brewed a Duskblade import from 3.5 into 5e. I've yet to test it out though, so I don't know how balanced/broken it is.

Though you're like the third or fourth anon in the past 3 days that posted a similar thought/request about Duskblade.
>>
What kind of spells have you elegan/tg/entlemen come up with?

Here are a few of mine
>Rend
Cantrip, does the exact opposite of Mend. Cannot be used on objects that are being worn or carried.

>Tage's Tested Trick
Level 1: A sudden, strong force lurches one person upwards. The target must make a Dexterity or Strength saving throw or be launched up and land prone.

>Cabalistic Chant of Cabbage
Level 1: The caster begins waving his hands in the air while ululating ancient words that replicate some long-forgotten wizard's cabbage in large quantities. Every round this chant is kept up, a 5 foot cube of exfoliated cabbage churns out from the caster's sleeves.
>>
>>43817803
You're stupid and I hope you feel stupid. Dex is already slightly ahead of strength, and why on earth wouldn't you want armour to be an effective replacement for dex?

THAT'S THE POINT OF ARMOUR.
>>
>>43818600
>Cabalistic Chant of Cabbage

Pic related?
>>
>>43818600
>My_Cabbages.meme

Anon, I think I'm in love.
>>
>>43818523
I'd take the time to correct you but I fear I'd be here all night and you wouldn't have learned a thing.

>>43818536
I plan to publish my work soon and I'd rather not have -all- my ideas stolen. Does that satisfy your curiosity?

>>43818580
I never asked for agreement, I asked for an opinion and I received it. I've already rebalanced Strength in my game, that was never my objective when presenting the above rule. Furthermore I don't give a flying fuck whether you like how I type or not.

>>43818611
You fundamentally misunderstand the conversation that's being had and I pity your ignorance.
>>
>>43818028
You realise D&D isn't even SLIGHTLY realistic, right? A level 5 barbarian can survive a fall from the stratosphere as long as he gets angry just before he hits the ground, someone with strength 3 does as much damage as someone with strength 20 when using a longbow (which require huge amounts of strength) and a high level fighter can fire nine bolts in 6 seconds from a heavy crossbow, which in real life would cause the crossbow to instantly explode.
>>
>>43818644
>I plan to publish my work soon and I'd rather not have -all- my ideas stolen. Does that satisfy your curiosity?

Then hire some beta testers. don't see why we have to look at your shit for free if you're just gonna go around and sell it
>>
40 years.

Armor has been abstracted as "landing meaningful blows" for FORTY YEARS. Designers far more experienced and capable than you have worked with it and nobody cares about your shitty halfbaked homebrew hackjob, least of all anyone in this thread. Either start a RQ general or get in the GURPS thread with the other meme kids.
>>
>>43818644
u r dlibrately typin w/ big words 2 make urself feel smrt

You are trying, without context on your changes, to make an inherently non simulationist game simulationist. And we're objecting because it's a fucking stupid idea, so maybe try listening to us. If you want this then go look at 3.5, it's not perfect but it's a whole lot more simulationist than 5e is.
>>
>>43818675
>it's not perfect
Understatement of the century.
>>
>>43818692
It is a lot more simulationist than 5e is. Hell, a bunch of its balance problems come from that, it tries to keep martials within real world limits (aim the longbow with dexterity, but the damage is based on strength) and lets casters do whatever the hell they want.
>>
>>43818644
>I don't want agreement, I want opinions
If every opinion is that your idea is shit, then you should probably modify it so that people think it's not complete shit.

>I plan to publish my work soon and need to protect my ideas.
Your shit's gotta be pretty damn good if you think you're going to make any money off of it. And if it is good enough to make money, expect it to be leaked.

You need to be good enough that people are willing to pay money because they appreciate that you made it, or expect that you'll make more of it.

>I pity your ignorance
Is this fucking bait?

>>
>>43818644
>Inflated sense of self importance
>Difficulty dealing with others
>Abrasive demeanor when uncomfortable
>Obsessive level of mental focus on hobby

Would any other anons like to confirm the diagnosis? I don't have the heart to tell him.
>>
>>43818739
It's official.

He's that guy.
>>
File: Untitled.png (141 KB, 538x469) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
141 KB, 538x469
>>43818645
>A level 5 barbarian can survive a fall from the stratosphere as long as he gets angry just before he hits the ground

>PHB, pg 197
That's not how it works, anon.
At the poles, the stratosphere is the closest to the ground you're going to find it; about 26,000ft. The first 10ft he takes no damage, the next 25,990ft do 1d6 per 10ft, or 2,599d6, which averages out to over nine thousand damage (9097 according to wolfram alpha). Divide that by 2 and you get 4,548.5, which given rounding, means your raging barbarian would need 4,549 max HP to survive the fall well enough for his Relentless Rage feature (which is what I assume you're referring to, though it's level 11) to kick in, any less and he's instantly dead, no time to make the required Con save.
If we assume he's somehow got 30 Con (+10 mod) and a d12 hit die that he rolls max on every single time he levels, we get 22hp/level, which means he still needs (4,549/22=206.7_72r) 207 levels in Barbarian to do it at minimum. Of course, if he picks up the Tough feat at some point, he only needs a mere 190 levels of Barbarian, and I'm sure there are magical items that would make things easier still, but this is looking pretty damn unlikely without homebrewed "level 5 barbarians can fly" items/feats/features/race/something.
>>
>>43818739
At this point it's pretty much certain.
>>
>>43818645
It has some unrealistic rules, all the more reason to use common sense when fixing said rules. Also that's not how massive damage works.

>>43818660
So it's alright for me to ask for advice if I'm doing this for my weekly group but not if I plan on making it a product? Well, that's your opinion and you're free to have it.

>>43818671
That's an Appeal to Tradition fallacy. Just because something has been done one way for along time does not mean that it will, or should, continue to be done that way.

>>43818675
There's no shame in being intelligent.

>>43818714
First, no I am not trolling. Second, I've taken the rational comments into consideration and will adjust my rules accordingly, and I appreciate the feedback. Well, the rational stuff at least.

>>43818739
I don't know which is worse, the idea that you think I give a shit about your half-assed insult, or the alternative that you actually believe what you're saying.
>>
>>43818847
I guess technically if you're best buds with Lady Luck, your Barbarian might need only 1,300 max HP, since you might manage to roll 2,600d6 and get all 1s, but that's still... y'know, 30Con+full d12 levels+Tough feat=24hp/level and 1300/24=54.1_6r, so you'd still need a level 55 Barbarian, and then I think the 9001 rabbit's feet he has in his backpack would kill him.
>>
>>43818847
>PHB, page 183

That's not how it works anon.

Falling damage caps at 20d6. Assuming our intrepid Barbarian used a bonus action to enter Rage the turn before he hit the ground he would halve this. With an expected CON mod of +3 taking average on every roll he'll have 55 HP.

20d6 averages to 75 damage, the Barbarian then halves that and takes only 35, leaving him at 20 HP. He's battered and bruised, and the DM may use a variant rule to have him make a con save for system shock. But he's very much alive.
>>
>>43818847
There's a max of 20d6 when you hit terminal velocity, check page 183 of the Player's Handbook.
>>
>>43818920
Maximum of 20d6?! Goddamn, I'm looking right at it and I'm having trouble believing. I could've sworn rage was only halving weapons, too, but apparently it's any source.
squadbroken.jpg etc
>>
File: Have you tried not playing dnd.jpg (76 KB, 831x445) Image search: [Google]
Have you tried not playing dnd.jpg
76 KB, 831x445
>>43818905
>Assuming that rules need fixing because they're "not realistic"
>Wanting free beta testing
>Muh phallusies
>I'm just intelligent anon
>I'm going to take feedback I think makes sense i.e. that which confirms what I already think
>Displays the same inflated sense of self-importance and abrasive demeanor to refute a post accusing him of such

If you're that concerned about the lack of realism in the system, have you considered not playing D&D?
>>
>>43818905
>That's an Appeal to Tradition fallacy. Just because something has been done one way for along time does not mean that it will, or should, continue to be done that way.
Here's the reason it should be done that way: nostalgia is the only reason anyone plays D&D. There are other games that do everything better than D&D does, but D&D feels like D&D, and that counts for a lot with the rose tinted glasses folks. If they change too much, it ceases to be nostalgic, at which point it loses what little audience it has left.
On that note, have you considered playing a different game?
>There's no shame in being intelligent.
There is a bit of a social stigmata to refusing to use colloquialisms in an attempt to seem intelligent however.
>>
File: 1365240084656.jpg (93 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
1365240084656.jpg
93 KB, 400x399
>>43818905
>So it's alright for me to ask for advice if I'm doing this for my weekly group but not if I plan on making it a product?

You're asking for opinions on a specific rule that sounds fucking awful on it's own, but you claim that it makes a lot more sense within the context of the other houserules you have.

You then refuse to share those other houserules, which wouldn't happen if you weren't planning on making it a product.

Do you really not see where he's coming from here?
>>
File: Barbarian King Thunderkiller.jpg (246 KB, 640x965) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian King Thunderkiller.jpg
246 KB, 640x965
>>43818920
i'm an idiot.

I've been reading it as an action to enter rage as a barbarian, not a bonus action. this makes much more sense. I should let my barbarian character in my campaign know this immediately (Long story short, I've been telling him what his bonuses are since he is a bit too lazy to read the book. He plays only as a social thing and not so much because he likes the game. Luckily he doesn't do anything too disruptive because of this.)
>>
>>43818905
If you're using anonymous to bugfix your shitty terrible ideas so you can turn around and sell it it makes you an asshole, yes.

you're basically farming us out for free work so you can make a profit off of it.
>>
>>43816189
>I'm thinking about going for a 6/9 Paladin (Crown)/Fighter (Battlemaster) build and was wondering if I'm going to gimp myself?
I can't speak to OotA, but yes, you're going to gimp yourself. You'll be a paladin 6 with action surge and superiority dice(5d8), or a fighter 9 with paladin smites(2d8*4+3d8*2)/aura, but neither of those really makes up for losing the level 11 feature of either class.
>>
>>43818847
Others have already pointed out why you're an idiot, but you're an idiot.

20d6 limit, barbarian gets angry survives - he then heals any injuries taken by taking a kickass nap.
>>
>>43818905
Using the largest word that you can isn't a mark of intelligence. It's certainly not the mark of a good writer, and if your system contains any fluff then it's going to be terrible.
>>
>>43814728
You are witnessing the birth of a PalLock.
>>
File: why.jpg (14 KB, 251x295) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
14 KB, 251x295
>>43818936
To be fair if a PC fell from the stratosphere and their excuse was "my rage lets me survive" one should really consider having the character die...
>>
>>43817127
As a dissenting option, Knowledge Cleric.
>>
New player DMing here... Set rules for Speak with Animals?

Do the animals speak back in a language that the player casting understands? I have been playing this spell that the animals totally understands the player and that the player receives bit information from the animal's body language and actions. Am I playing this spell wrong?
>>
>>43819087
Why? You'd let a caster survive if they cast an appropriate spell.
>>
>>43819087
Why? A barbarian's rage is their main class feature, and reduces physical damage. If the druid is falling from the stratosphere and elects to turn into a bird are you going to kill them for that?
>>
>>43819121
So long as they don't suffer the loss of ability to use their limbs/dexterity required due to the severe cold and a will save to keep from freaking the fuck out due to the stress of the situation (wouldn't make the Barbarian roll those if they wished to rage).

>>43819137
No but I will have them likely die due to the fact they will probably turn into a bird ill equipped to handle such an environment.
>>
>>43819096
>You gain the ability to comprehend and verbally communicate with beasts for the duration. The knowledge and awareness of many beasts is limited by their intelligence, but at minimum, beasts can give you information about nearby locations and monsters, including whatever they can perceive or have perceived within the past day. You might be able to persuade a beast to perform a small favor for you, at the D M ’s discretion.

I'd say that it's intended that you can dialogue with the animal just fine. They may be a bit dim-witted (i.e. a dog acting like a kid with ADHD), but they can freely communicate.
>>
>>43819087
On top of that, with 55 Max HP against an average damage of 70, even without rage they're more likely to survive than die. It could be hours before they can get up and move, but they'd live more often than not.
>>
>>43818643
Are you my long-lost cabbage?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.