[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gamebooks anyone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: warlock.jpg (33 KB, 250x390) Image search: [Google]
warlock.jpg
33 KB, 250x390
Recently started thinking about gamebooks of old when I wanted to play some fantasy and found nothing alluring. I browsed the interwebs and found these:

https://www.choiceofgames.com/hero-of-kendrickstone - enjoyable but pretty casual.

www.chooseyourstory.com has some but most are shit.

Anyone knows more sites/stuff thats not furry/anime/fanfiction?
>>
This one I used a few times: http://textadventures.co.uk

You can also try the Wikipedia database but tread with care:
http://editthis.info/create_your_own_story/Main_Page
>>
File: _77075565_fighting-fantasy.jpg (68 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_77075565_fighting-fantasy.jpg
68 KB, 660x371
Oh, i was a big fan of gamebooks as a kid, and i have some leftowers on my shelf as well (even the bugged third one on the picture). I'm not sure if i can help but maybe you can find scans on torrent sites, sadly they are hard to navigate and read, but they are better than nothing.

Wikipedia has a list of the bigger series here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gamebooks
>>
>>43804396
What was bugged about it?
>>
>>43804293

Loved Fighting Fantasy and Lone Wolf as a kid. I played around with those long before I ever touched an RPG. Still have mine, even the shitty US releases of the Lone Wolf books where they randomly omitted paragraphs to make them unplayable.
>>
Retried them recently, some of the old books definietely did not age well.
>>
>>43804436

Some releases were pretty bad, with misnumbered elements and pages and they made you unable to complate the book.

I remember it as my first ragequit...
>>
File: wofm_map.png (118 KB, 2007x2979) Image search: [Google]
wofm_map.png
118 KB, 2007x2979
>>43804436
>>43804476

Yeah, somewhere after a river crossing part in the caves (if i recall correctly) you went into an endless loop, and there was zero connection towards the next parts of the map

I've found a drawing about it, the ? part was unaccessible
>>
>>43804293
I love the pulpy feel of the Fighting fantasy, they make a very weird world.
>>
There was a guy with a MEGA of every adventure book ever.

Speaking of which, I'm extremely disappointed the Fabled Lands series never made books 7-12. Fuck those were awesome
>>
>>43804752
Mang, I Love those, I got them in pc like game and was a blast to play.
>>
>>43804752
https://mega.nz/#F!ellRxKKb!698hqbj0xhUIPuP-F9aWvQ

I love Fighting Fantasy and Titan will always be my favorite fantasy world
>>
>>43804788
With Glorantha,Dark Sun, Middle earth and Hiboria for me.
>>
It's a shame newer/online content is mostly sci-fi and toodeep4u philosophical garbage instead of traditional fantasy.

choiceofgames seems to be the biggest site available and it has like two fantasy stories.
>>
All I have to contribute to this thread is to say fuck Starship Traveller. Fuck it with a rusty spoon.

That one was so fucking arbitrary and impossible. I was never able to complete it.
>>
Which fantasy themed ones did you guys think were the best?
>>
File: fighting fantasy.jpg (500 KB, 1280x2000) Image search: [Google]
fighting fantasy.jpg
500 KB, 1280x2000
>>43804880
The Sorcery! series was adapted for iphone/ipad and it's fucking awesome, it really keeps the feel of the original books but greatly expands on them and it has so much atmosphere. I strongly, strongly recommend it to fans of that series.

>>43804894
Yeah that was an experiment that didn't really work. I do like the sci-fi FFs; they're much maligned but stuff like Rings of Kelther (Miami Vice in SPAAACE) and Sky Lord were really cool. Space Assassin is basically you playing a Space Marine and clearing out a small Hulk of Chaos worshipers, too. It has to be remembered this is were Games Workshop was born.

>>43804934
Caverns of the Snow Witch
Trial of Champions
Phantoms of Fear
Creature of Havoc
Beyond Nightmare Castle
Dead of Night
Vault of the Vampire
Spectral Stalkers
Crimson Tide
Moonrunner
Legend of the Shadow Lords
>>
>>43804960
Okay, now I need to borrow an iphone from someone. Does it have much new content?
>>
>>43804293
Project AON has all the Lone Wolf stuff.
>>
File: Sorcery!Gamebox4Wrap.jpg (555 KB, 1162x600) Image search: [Google]
Sorcery!Gamebox4Wrap.jpg
555 KB, 1162x600
>>43804996
>Does it have much new content?

Fuck yes. It has this massive backstory about Throben, the Necromancer and the ZED spell that the book barely touched on. Old characters like Flanker and Jann appear regularly, there are much more conversational options. Heaps more locations, NPCs, etc. Events are much more detailed. But it retains the original flavour throughout.

Shaumanti Hills is pretty straightforward with original material but it's much more detailed; all the shit with Jann is really changed, also some of the characters have their own subplots you can get involved in. Khare was my favorite, it was seriously creepy as fuck, felt like a horror movie - DO NOT SLEEP ON THE STREETS. You can explore the whole place at your leisure and there is a lot of new material, especially towards the end. The most recent release was Seven Serpents, and that is significantly boosted from the book with all this crazy shit involving time magic and Throben etc. It's totally sandbox, finding the Serpents is easy; the problem is doing it fast and correctly. Without spoiling anything I will say there's a twist in the end that's like a kick in the guts.

The magic system is great, it uses the original spells but you can invent your own along the way, and casting is this neat little process of selecting the right letters from a cloud.

I may sound like a shill but I just fucking loved Sorcery! and these games really do it justice. Much more so than other FF apps I've played which are straight transfers and extremely dull. I cannot fucking wait for Crown of Kings, apparently it's going to be an epic mission just to get to the Citadel.
>>
>>43804880
demo.6quest.com has some fantasy stories, it seems to be just some new project on kickstarter though.
>>
>>43805089
It seems alright, i like how i can take notes and rename my equipment, but it's too short
>>
File: Potion of thieving.jpg (143 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Potion of thieving.jpg
143 KB, 800x800
>Fabled Lands

Funny story.

>Remember playing a gamebook called Heart of Ice a long time ago as a kid.
>Really difficult but had this amazing frozen apocalyptic Europe/North Africa setting.
>By accident I run across it on Amazon.
>Buy the book.
>Set aside some time from the family to tackle this beast.
>Complete it on the first shot, in just 1 hour.
>Best ending.

What a fluke! But I missed like 80% of the text so I should do it again...but now that I got the best ending I don't really feel motivated to do all the bad endings.

>slightly disappointed
>>
>>43804788
>The pit one is still of abismal quality.
FUCK.
>>
My brother is 8, are there any on the slightly simpler adventure side?
>>
>>43809838
I remember ones about King Arthur than weren't that difficult to play. Sadly I don't remember the name.
>>
>>43804934
City of Thieves
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.