[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me /tg/. I'm trying to cripple a character as much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: d605a3064da9d8023c372f17124f616a.jpg (372 KB, 1280x1344) Image search: [Google]
d605a3064da9d8023c372f17124f616a.jpg
372 KB, 1280x1344
Help me /tg/.

I'm trying to cripple a character as much as possible without removing hope that they'd make a realistic combat threat.

What I got so far is missing an eye and an arm, one leg is crippled through a movement impairing cut and their heart beat has grown irregular from repeated physical trauma.

LISA headbutting is going a little too far, people in the setting are only as resilient as mundane humans.
>>
Leprosy or some other transmissible disfiguring disease that has combat applications
>>
>>43803677
Honestly, anyone who's lost a limb is not going to be much of a threat. A hook hand or a pegleg is as far as I'd go.
>>
>>43803677

Make them a pirate. Nobody will question too much, though I think the heart thing is a bit much if you don't want a glaring weakpoint to be hit for massive damage.
>>
>>43803677
Blood Clotting Issue?
>>
>>43803677
>missing skin
>missing legs
>missing arms
>missing torso
>missing flesh
>missing face
>missing brain
>is in fact just a skull
And you best believe the demilich is a credible combat encounter.
>>
>>43803734
Nah, not a demilich. Just a fighter who specializes in taunts.
>>
File: 1447448763445.png (2 MB, 806x952) Image search: [Google]
1447448763445.png
2 MB, 806x952
>>43803677
>their heart beat has grown irregular from repeated physical trauma.
Sounds like a nice buff
>>
File: 1447205014679.png (591 KB, 900x850) Image search: [Google]
1447205014679.png
591 KB, 900x850
>>43803734
Sounds like a stereotypical magos to me
>>
File: Iron_Warriors_Dreadnought.jpg (105 KB, 515x598) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Warriors_Dreadnought.jpg
105 KB, 515x598
>>43803677
>Both legs missing.
>One arm completely gone, one destroyed to the elbow.
>severe burns / no longer has eyelids.
EVEN IN DEATH, I SERVE.
>>
It really depends.

Sure, as long a someone has a reasonably good arm and some kind of sight he can swing/stab at something in range and cause lethal damage if it connects. Which might make for a realistic threat in combat, since if you ignore the gimp he can kill you. A modern day pistol would help the threat range.

On the other hand, your guy isn't going to be very combat effective. With a bad leg he isn't going anywhere in a hurry, neither forward on offence, backwards on defence, or just plain rotating on the spot as the opponent tries to circle into where he can't see on account of the missing eye, or have issues defending on account of the missing arm (whether these are the same half or not depend son what bits are missing, I'm not sure what would be the worst, utterly helpless on one side or just pretty fucked all around). His muscles won't get oxygen properly, and if you just dance around and harass for long enough he may get a heart attack. It won't take much of a warrior to destroy him in a duel, while acknowledging this cripple as a threat would probably get you labelled as a wimp and a coward.
>>
>>43803709
Being one-armed doesn't really make you incapable of fighting, yet. It'll make you less effective, sure, but there have been multiple swordfighting techniques where only one hand is used, and the other is actually held behind the back to keep it out of harm's way. These might not be full-on battlefield fighting techniques as much as they're civilian forms, but having only one arm would not be a critical flaw in such a scenario.
>>
>>43803677
Make your character a torso and head only, wheeled around by an assistant. Have her be diseased and fight by rubbing her vagina on her enemies, giving them all sorts of terminal illnesses. I am sure the DM would allow your character to be a plague carrier at the cost of all of your limbs (and maybe a few other things, like sense of smell and taste).
>>
>>43803677
A crippled leg immediately stops a normal human from being a real threat in melee. Footwork is of immense importance in any kind of melee combat. Now if the character fights at range, that's another matter.

You can go after non-limb-removing injuries, like i.e. some muscle inguries can prevent a person from being able to raise their arm above the shoulder level. Or heavy midsection scarring that limits the range of rotation in the waist.
>>
Shields can be strapped to the wrist, and so could some form of specialized weapons, like a modified qatar or similar. Drunken martial arts are a thing in fiction, give him gut fermentation syndrome. Yes, it makes your stomach make alcohol.
>>
>>43803677
Pretty much all you've listed here takes them out as a "realistic" combat threat, at least in a straight up fight. There's a reason we generally don't take cripples to war.

Lack of an arm precludes most ranged weapons. Many pre-modern battlefield disciplines and styles are about using both arms to wield weapons - polearms, shield + something, two-handed weapons, etc.

Crippled leg prevents good footwork, essential for hand-to-hand fighting. Good legs are as important as good arms.

Irregular heartbeat could be disastrous for cardiovascular endurance. Fighting is strenuous work and any sort of anaerobic exertion can really mess up someone with arrhythmia.

The least impairing is maybe the missing eye; it leaves blind spots that an opponent can exploit close in.

Character might be able to cut someone's throat in their sleep or discharge a firearm but would be severely disadvantaged.
>>
Remove arms.
Attach large pole to head.
Put blades in various places.
You now have a combat spinning top.
Make them blind and deaf so they have to feel for changes in the air.
>>
Make a wheelchair wizard/arbalest. Blast people's legs off with a wand, windlass, or whatever
>>
A blind, one armed, one legged, three fingered, no eared, hemophiliac, with heart problems, burns on the inside of his lungs, appendectomy, one kidney-ied, lack tonseled, lipless, toothless, tongueless, eyelidless, eunuch. The question is why you would play such man.
>>
>>43803677
Brain in a jar. And by a jar I mean a mech suit.
>>
Strap a small nuke to Hawking's wheelchair.
>>
File: 1411516507902.jpg (86 KB, 680x989) Image search: [Google]
1411516507902.jpg
86 KB, 680x989
>>
>>43803677
BAIKEN NEVER
fuck arcsys
>>
>>43805006
The last version doesn't have Dizzy. Why live?
>>
>>43805047
She's coming next at least, so you could live for that.
>>
>>43804327

I fucking love this one, I'm not gonna lie.

Disabled people in Super Wheelchairs in general is an awesome concept to me, personally.

>>43803677

To the OP though, I also want to know exactly why you want a character like this. If it's just for the Badass Factor, I'd argue there are better ways to accomplish this. If it's because you want it to look like they've Seen Some Shit, you can do that without horrible injuries.

I'd honestly go full-stop with where you are right now, and maybe wind back the leg, and at least the heart. I can accept a character maybe perfecting a one-arm fighting style like alt-timeline Gohan or something, but if they can't move / kick / hold their balance because their leg is fucked up, or are at risk of hardcore heart palpitations that would entirely ruin their ability to fight back in that given moment, then I wouldn't exactly consider them to be a "realistic combat threat."

Honestly with a fucked-up leg all you'd have to do is knock them over and not give them the time to get back up.
>>
File: Aiki.jpg (52 KB, 409x535) Image search: [Google]
Aiki.jpg
52 KB, 409x535
>>43803965
How about cutting off an arm and some fingers, then? Artificial ones won't have a very good grip on weapons and it will definitely feel more awkard.

Or cou could have the tendons of the muscle damaged so that the arm can only go so fast/strong.

If their muscles can't be used to the fullest, they will be weaker than normally. So yea, go with that.
>>
>>43803677
Are you using any magic items/technology/special techniques to compensate for her disabilities?

Any one of the three you mentioned would severely hinder her on their own. Let's take a closer detailed look at each one:

Missing Eye:
1) Half of her field of view is now gone.

Missing Arm:
1) Was this her dominant hand or off-hand? She may have to relearn how to use a weapon if she lost her dominant hand.
2) Her arm is a good chunk of body weight to lose. Her balance is going to be effected.

Crippled Leg:
1) Her mobility is now severely limited.
2) Her balanced is effected once again, if she can even stand at all. All of her weight would be on her remaining leg.

Irregular heart beat from repeated physical trauma:
1) Basically, you are saying a weak heart now. Putting too much stress on her would result in a heart attack and possibly death.
2) She is going to have shitty stamina with a weak heart on top of all her other disabilities. She really wouldn't be much use after more than a few minutes.

She is already crippled beyond being physically useful in a fight. What can she do aside from hopping after the opponent? The best she could really hope for is to be a brilliant strategist or commander.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.