[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FOOOOD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17
Fantasy food thread!

Players, what is the favourite meal of your characters?
GM's, what dishes do you create, and how do you make them up?

Also post pictures of tasty fictional/medieval food
>>
Also, does anyone here use random generators for their dishes? I use this one a lot
http://chaoticshiny.com/mealgen.php
>>
File: bacon-finished.jpg (184 KB, 865x500) Image search: [Google]
bacon-finished.jpg
184 KB, 865x500
>>43794397
There's dinosaurs in the region of Eberron that my character hails from, and in one of the guidebooks it says that longneck type dino bacon is an extremely popular export.
She's probably pretty sweet on slow smoked, maple cured, peppered dino bacon.

And brontosaurus burgers.
yabba-dabba-doo, bitches.
>>
>>43794397
We're always talking about basilisk tongue this and terrasque steak that..

What do sci-fi people eat?
>>
>>43794443

>Belgian as hell
>See the face of those """""french""""" fries
>Triggered as hell
>>
>>43794883
preferably something from their own planet, they're going to have issues digesting other forms of life
>>
>>43794883
The only thing I can offer is glowing alien egg caviar and canned MREs. Maybe fungi they grow in the steamy boiler rooms of their ships.
I'm VASTLY more interested in knowing what aliens themselves eat.
Spaceship fuel?
Liquified swamp plants in an organic clay dish?
Crystalized and sugared gasses from the atmospheres of far off planets? Worms, I bet.
Hope it won't kill me if I eat it...
>>
>>43794883
Gene-modded algae, protein shakes, food cubes and vitamin pills in a dark/realistic setting

Lab grown meat, modded plants and extraterrestrial life in a happy setting
>>
>>43794955
>Gene-modded algae, protein shakes, food cubes and vitamin pills
>realistic setting
Kek. People already get triggered when they see ingredients in their otherwise normal, recognizable food they don't immediately recognize.
>>
>>43795056
And that shit already gets bought en masse anyway.
>>
>>43794955
>>43795056
>>43795078
The real reason calling that "realistic" is fucking retarded is that we already have genetically modified crops and lab grown meat. The former are only going to grow in yields and hardiness, while the latter becoming economical is just a matter of time. There's literally no way to justify "food cubes" or algae, except MAYBE for very long distance space travel
>>
>>43795242
Our food can barely support 7 billion people, and whilst it hasn't reached its full capability yet, I imagine normal crops and lab grown meat would not be able to support a planet that has a population above something like 30 billion. Most plants wouldn't be able to grow on extraterrestrial soil without modification, and import from other planets would be expensive

People would need high yield low space solution, which leave algae and non-biological chemical reactions as a very feasible alternative
>>
>>43795389
>Our food can barely support 7 billion people
Our food can easily support 7 billion people, with plenty of room for growth. The problem is allocation, not supply. Large scale colonization of extraterrestrial worlds would require some amount of terraforming anyway.
>>
>>43794397
>ALE
>MEAT
>BREAD
>POTATOES
Diet of a warrior, boy
>>
>>43795554
True, but still, eventually a point will be reached when normal crops won't be sufficient. The upper class will certainly always keep eating regular food from actual organisms, but the meal of the average Joe will become much more sober.
>>
>>43795707
>True, but still, eventually a point will be reached when normal crops won't be sufficient.
Why are you so certain of that? You seem to be starting with the assumption that this is necessarily going to happen, then speculating from there. If the technology keeps improving it's easily to imagine megacities/hives growing all their own food. I'm not saying food cubes couldn't happen, but the assumption that it must be "realistic" because it's more pessimistic is how teenagers think.
>>
>>43794397
>GM's, what dishes do you create, and how do you make them up?
You have to think about the climate/geography and history of the area you're dealing with. Culture should be a distant 3rd that mainly informs which dishes are eaten when, not what those dishes are in the first place. This is how you make food that varies from region to region without falling into the "they're Slavs so they eat borscht" trap."

So, for example, if a game is set in an area where hot peppers grow natively, you might consider borrowing a few dishes from Latin America or the US southwest then adjusting the seasoning and ingredients to eliminate those that would be difficult, prohibitively expensive, or literally impossible for those people to acquire, even if that area was superficially more similar to the Italian peninsula.
>>
File: 1447259462570.jpg (457 KB, 1130x1623) Image search: [Google]
1447259462570.jpg
457 KB, 1130x1623
Rations. All they eat is rations. Minmaxers have little to no imagination.
>>
File: thedrunkensheep A Skyrim Meal.png (1 MB, 1080x755) Image search: [Google]
thedrunkensheep A Skyrim Meal.png
1 MB, 1080x755
Sure hope they add an alchemist subclass dealy in 5e so I can play an orc chef some day...
Chopping up the rarest monsters to serve to nobles and grinning with satisfaction when their racist mouths can't get e-fucking-nough.
>>
>>43795993
That's what you get when the party never gets any downtime.
>>
File: vlcsnap-00742.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00742.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>
File: have a drink.jpg (629 KB, 1280x1691) Image search: [Google]
have a drink.jpg
629 KB, 1280x1691
>>
>>43797187
>spooky-eye toothfish

I AM NOT EATING THAT. IT'S PROBABLY JUST LYING DORMANT UNTIL IT CAN BITE MY FACE OFF
>>
>>43797477
SPOOKY FISH HIDE THEIR DELICIOUSNESS BEHIND THEIR SPOOKY.
THEY'RE THE MOST DELICIOUS. ALAS, ALSO THE MOST SPOOKY.
>>
File: gulper-eel-15579-lw.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
gulper-eel-15579-lw.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
>>43798070
Spooky way-down fish are toxic with mercury.

Why would you want to eat this happy friend anyways? He would give you a warm place in the crushing black cold of the abyss, that isn't nice anon.
>>
>>43798211
>Underwater Vore Hell
NONONONONONONO
You best not be bringing that evil into this place!
>>
>>43797477
>Go to find video of spooky-eye toothfish biting someone
>See them
>"I'll bet these assholes are Russians"
>Turn on sound
>"CYKA CYKA CYKA BLYAT, CYKA"
>>
>>43798464
Don't be like that anon, its a thread about food.
So get in. Come on.
>>
>>43798622
HET
HET HET HET
>>
>>43794397
Iron Auroch or Gorgon (metal cow variety) milk is popular amongst certain groups.

Apples from Dryands are considered top tier for making magical pies.

Wyvern steak is an acquired taste, but if tenderized in it's own venom can be an experience not unlike fugu.

Winter Wolf shanks keep cool for weeks and thus are often used as portable refrigeratíon options. It does require magic to cook properly, however.
>>
File: 1443528617918.png (217 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1443528617918.png
217 KB, 800x800
>>43798464
Oniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiichaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
>>
>>43794397
these threads always make me so hungry
>>
>>43794397
>Get married
>Play w/ married dudes
>Wives all gamers, too
>Cook for the group when hosting a game
>Women start competing with each other to offer the most delicious themed meals
>nothingwrongwiththat.jpg

A good farmer's market will introduce you to some exotic (and cool looking foods).

Still trying to find a good recipe that features Dungeonesse Crab and Dragonfruit.
>>
>>43798915
Ooh, these sound like top tier foodstuffs. Mind if I use them in my setting too?
>>
>>43795906
>but the assumption that it must be "realistic" because it's more pessimistic is how teenagers think

This, so much.
Real-life isn't pessimistic or darker or edgier; usually it's just boring.
The duller and more mundane the explanation, the more plausible it is because that's how life actually works.

Example; it's actually probably POSSIBLE to have successfully built "flying cars" by now. Our miniturization technology and flight controls have all gotten sophisticated enough to do it. It would take millions, perhaps even billions of dollars and they'd be more like those vectored-thrust spinners from Blade Runner then Jetsons cars, but we could probably have done it if the research was started back in the 90's by now.

We didn't because it was expensive and there wasn't any real need for them.
See? Boring. Mundane.
>>
>>43803880
It's sad and depressing. No real breakthrough in vehicles and other many industries at all because "no one will buy it". It's depressing, boring and too cyberpunk-ish.
>>
>>43804008
>No real breakthrough in vehicles and other many industries at all because "no one will buy it".No real breakthrough in vehicles and other many industries at all because "no one will buy it".
Bruh, our technology is advancing faster than it ever has before. Breakthroughs are happening constantly in all industries because competition is at it's worse.

Vehicles have had tons of breakthroughs, you're just ignoring them because they're not ones you like.

The current competition model is the most driving the world has ever seen.
>>
>>43795707
Scientists currently believe that the population of the Earth will not grow much larger than 11 billion.
>>
I like describing food in my Shadowrun campaign. I think I'm subconsciously processing what it was like to grow up with 5 vegetarian siblings, because I really get into detail of how the soy and other meat-substitute taste absolutely nothing.
>>
>>43804564
Meat-substitute can taste good only if you add some meat in it.
>>
>>43804614
Also really dry and with a texture that's either wooden or rubbery. Luckily, it turns out that describing bad food is a good way to get that dystopian cyberpunk mood.
>>
>>43804655
What kind of bad food are we talking about? Spray "cheese" and "ham-like" on the slice of canned bread and artificial soda-tea OR just a dry cube of grey nutriment paste with side of the water?
Honestly, i would prefer latter than former.
>>
>>43804699
Vegan cheese, soy ham and processed bread sandwhich? Sad, but future.
>>
>>43804699
It can vary. They've had soy burgers that were soggy with grease, and they've had soy tacos that where just dry meat substitute in a shell and literal piles of spice powder.
The players also like to use food as a way to express their characters, like when the weirdo mage went to a buffet at a maffia party and just put a heap of grapes on his plate.

They also killed and ate an eyekiller once (basically a seven meters long electric, flightless owl) for Christmas dinner.
>>
>>43804721
Owl not the best choice for a Christmas dinner, but you can make it tasty or at least, enjoyable, unlike a soggy and greasy burgers.
>>
>>43804797
They mainly ate it because the gun adept's parents had asked them to kill the eyekiller (turns out there were two of them, though) that was eating their chickens, and his dad didn't want all that meat to go to waste. The meat was kinda tough, but not too bad.
>>
>>43804031

This. There are actual self-driving cars being tested on the road right now, that's futuristic as hell.

The real reason nobody wants flying cars is because dumbasses can barely keep from killing everyone around them with ground cars, can you imagine the kind of asshole thst texts while driving having casual access to a third dimenion?
>>
File: kalakukko.jpg (94 KB, 978x548) Image search: [Google]
kalakukko.jpg
94 KB, 978x548
>>
>>43795242

This is what annoys me about settings like Shadowrun because it seems largely ignorant of the technology it has available to it.

I mean, you make clone bodies all the time but you can't even synthesize cow or chicken meat? I mean I know the soy based products is suppose to be indicative of the oppresive rule of the Mega Corps but even a lowly A ranker could probably pull this off with relative ease given the level of tech they have.
>>
>>43805416
Vat-grown meat is a thing in Shadowrun, though.
>>
>>43805507

Well yeah, to put into people. I guess I must have missed that line where they go to explain how soy this and soy that makes up the bulk of the masses general meals while the rich can afford to go to a proper butcher

Unless you're a ghoul.
>>
File: 1417668710193.jpg (354 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1417668710193.jpg
354 KB, 2048x1536
>>43795707
Humans will always find ways to make food more exciting, even (especially!) if we're working with limited ingredients. One of my favourite Pratchett lines is in Witches Abroad, where Genua (fantasy New Orleans) cuisine is described as the best in the world because "they had nothing, so they cooked everything".
>>
File: huaxi-street-market-3.jpg (155 KB, 665x489) Image search: [Google]
huaxi-street-market-3.jpg
155 KB, 665x489
I generally drop the soy-this or that and synthetic alcohol from shadowrun games. I like the idea of street food vendors selling their "authentic" cuisine. also rat-burgers.
>>
>>43805655
To be honest, rat meat its not THAT bad. You just need to marinade and cook it right.
But insects, on other hand
>>
>>43805652
Crabs in hot sauce with red onions? Damn, that looks tasty.
>>
My players have taken control of an island and are making it a hub of meat specialty.
The main selling point is the world-famous Pie on the Bone.
Don't you love eating meat right off the bone? Don't you love eating pie without forks?
Try the Pie on the bone!
>>
>>43805543
No, it's used as food. There's even prices for it in the rule books.
>>
>>43805416
>I didn't see it when I briefly browsed through the rulebook, so it doesn't exist in the setting

Huh.
>>
>>43794828
CURED dino belly is an export. The natives know that fresh, slow-roasted belly is there it's at.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html
>>
>>43794883
>he hasn't read Won Ton Soup

git on it nigga
>>
>>43805404
>fishbread
God dammit, Finland.
>>
File: 1395179028323.jpg (153 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1395179028323.jpg
153 KB, 1280x853
Let's come up with some scenarios that makes players put some thought into food and cooking.

>ancient metallic dragon has protected and aided the kingdom for several centuries
>historian discovers that it will turn one thousand years old in a few months
>king announces a huge feast in celebration and puts the PCs in charge of the arrangements
What happens next, /tg/?
>>
>>43806624

Kill the dragon, serve dragon steaks to everyone at the feast.
>>
Man, i really love this thread. I was thinking of make a paladín, a big fucking one. 6'9 feet, fat but strong. Short brown hair, full beard, and absoluty love to food. Anyone know a deity of cooking or good food?. I apologize for posting here but i didnt find any paladin/deity thread.
>>
File: 1388871148299.jpg (141 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
1388871148299.jpg
141 KB, 1024x681
>>43807673
If you're using Forgotten Realms, the closest would probably Cyrrollalee, the halfling goddess of hospitality and homekeeping. Berronar Truesilver (Moradin's wife) has some homekeeping traits too, though she's mostly about sticking to the Good Old Ways.

Some of the ranger gods could also work, in a "living well off the land"-kind of way.
>>
>>43808700
Thanks Anon
>>
>>43794883
Soylent Green
>>
>>43794883
My transhumans eat normal food for pleasure, but they can survive on energy cell and nutrient paste if the situation demands it.
>>
>>43806624
unintentionally use dragon eggs in the baked dishes
>>
All this food talk and no mention of demon meatbread.

I am dissapoint
>>
File: 1365274859984.png (372 KB, 896x504) Image search: [Google]
1365274859984.png
372 KB, 896x504
>>43810372

I HUNGER.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.