[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/btg/ - Battletech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: mwda_10.jpg (315 KB, 531x866) Image search: [Google]
mwda_10.jpg
315 KB, 531x866
The /btg/ is dead, long live the /btg/!

13 years later and they are still butthurt

Old thread: >>43763894

=====================

>/btg/ does a TRO.
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam) spot.com/

>The Happening has Happened and it was glorious:
http://bg.battletech.com/news/news-and-announcements/drop-pod-sequence-initiatedthree-two-one/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)

>Can I get an overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what mechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Battletech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - Battletech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of Battletech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/

>Battletech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
>>43794041
haha, butte hold
>>
DHS ruined battle tech.
>>
>>43794174

The change from BattleDroids to Battletech ruined Battletech.
>>
>>43794204
This hook isn't even baited!
>>
>>43794174
Not spelling BattleTech correctly ruined BattleTech.
>>
"[Blank] ruined BattleTech" ruined BattleTech.
>>
File: Lori Doesn't Care.png (86 KB, 437x499) Image search: [Google]
Lori Doesn't Care.png
86 KB, 437x499
>>43794174
>>43794204

Clearly, creating and publishing BattleTech ruined BattleTech. Had it never been published, it would have never been terrible. It's better for a game to exist in a quantum state where it's unwritten and thus *might* be terrible, than to collapse the wave function by publishing the system and confirm it.

So are we going to let this thread die, or actually move to legitimate topics (which do not include fiat bitching, factionfaggotry, and/or trolling)?
>>
OK, here we go with a more or less legitimate topic: would allowing DropShips to mount capital weapons other than missiles be a bad idea?
>>
>>43794383
Wouldn't giving things that capital weapons suck at shooting at capital weapons be a really, really bad thing for WarShips?
>>
>>43794430
true. maybe also reduce the minimum target size for capital weapons to accompany such a change?
>>
>>43794383
no real point. massed LGRs objectively outshoot capital weapons, especially on DropShips
>>
>>43794383

Probably not, as long as they were limited to a small number of them on board a single vessel. The issue is that canon DropShips (at the time PWSs were coming into canon existence) didn't carry enough armor to soak any meaningful capital weapons fire, with the exception of the comparatively tiny yields of cap-missiles. So at the time of the decision, limiting them to cap-missiles made more sense. Now that we have DropShips that are basically carved out of giant ferro-carbide bricks, the restriction isn't as necessary.

If you just allow DropShips to mount capital weapon indiscriminately, you're going to see 50 kton DropShip with 60-point HNPPC bays (ie, 600 standard-scale damage), and that's not OK either. You have to be careful about how you allow it to happen. A blanket lifting of the restriction would turn the game even MORE into an "eggshells with hammers" game that it already is.

That said, sub-caps and the capital missile-only limitation is really kind of annoying, and I'd be fine with letting DropShips mount "spinal" NPPC or NAC batteries composed of 3 or fewer weapons, perhaps limiting the size/number based on the DropShip tonnage (or a flat, calibre-based, "no Heavy-class NLs or NPPCs" restriction). There's a more legitimate argument for restricting NGausses, due to the capacitor and power requirement fluff.

Oh, and if DropShips really are supposed to be the substitute for WarShips, allowing them to actually use guns big enough to matter makes more sense. Current DropShips are like a battlecruiser armed with nothing but .50-cals (ie, fighter-scale guns), and maybe some "torpedoes" (cap-missiles). It just *feels* wrong, y'know? Big ships should get bigger guns.
>>
>>43794569
yeah, I was going for allowing a single Ngauss or NPPC as a spinal mount or a a couple of NLs, not that style of deathblob
>>
>>43794383
As >>43794430 points out, yes, it would be.

>>43794335
>So are we going to let this thread die
Do you even play BattleDroi- I mean Battle tec- I MEAN BattleTech? Obviously namefags are the cancer killing BattleTech.

But seriously, I have a good question: can we save the Fireball? It was designed to combat Clan elementals, but doesn't due to shit armaments (machine guns/SRM 2s are not acceptable armaments against the Clans). How do we save it while keeping its ludicrous speed intact?
>>
>>43794591

>NEA-seal-of-approval-congrats-on-not-sucking.jpg
>>
The 8 and 10 help the fireball.

I dont know what else you could really do for them.
>>
>>43794602
Remove MGs, add more SRM tubes.

Load Infernos.
>>
>>43794627
yay

also, thoughts on allowing atmo-capable KF ships? I was thinking of setting things up so that you could mount shitty, primitive-style KF drives in sub-100kt ships, and I couldn't think of any reason why ships like that (or, for that matter the Bug Eye) couldn't land on planets. would this screw things up bad?
(I might have asked you this before, I don't remember. sorry if I have)
>>
>>43794569
It's kinda sad how the cone of a re-entry capable space vessle is drawn to look like a WW2 aircraft here.
>>
>>43794602
The 10D is a really decent backstabber, although the MASC costs way too fuckin' much BV.
>>
>>43794721

There's not really a mechanical reason to restrict this. It's entirely fluff-based, so if you want to change it, the *game* will be mostly unchanged.

With that said, one of the reasons it's done is to preserve the role of DropShips. I'd highly recommend putting a minimum SI value on the WarShip (representing bracing and so forth) intended to do this. It should not be approximately equal or superior in performance to a DropShip of the same mass.
>>
>>43794602
Remove all the guns for an SRM 6 and a ton of ammo. Or, if you want pre-battle flexibility, two MML 3s and a ton of ammo (blasphemous as it is to have a MML with only 1 ton of ammo).

One I remember from a while ago that tried to respecilize it was to rip everything out for four flamers. Basically an ultra-fast firestarter, at that point.
>>
>>43794569

>Big ships should get bigger guns.

Sub-Capital Lasers and Sub-Capital Cannons already offer this.

Sub-Capital Missiles completely suck though.

>>43794591

>not that style of deathblob

Well, the Castrum, Taihou, Aesir/Vanir and Tiamat are all things already, so...

>>43794602

>can we save the Fireball? It was designed to combat Clan elementals, but doesn't due to shit armaments (machine guns/SRM 2s are not acceptable armaments against the Clans). How do we save it while keeping its ludicrous speed intact?

I tried saying this once on the official board and got swarmed with drones saying it was obviously an RP 'Mech and so it being completely outclassed by the Elementals it was supposed to kill was fine since it was meant to be used in a different environment.

Man what.

You're limited a lot by the low mass available for weapons. ER Mediums are one solution, and they will at least help keep you outside the range of Elementals with SRMs. Inferno SRMs would help, but if you can Inferno the Elementals, they can SRM you.

The 'Mech Mortar and Light PPC might work. I don't know if Mortars deliver damage to all targets like an Artillery weapon or not, but you can fit a 'Mech Mortar 1 with a ton of ammo. 1/2 ton left over, don't remember if the ALM comes with CASE. If it doesn't add, CASE. If it does, add a Small Laser RL-10. Ditto with the Light PPC; you might even be able to yank the CASE and mount more RL-10s in that case, or install an Active Probe to help spot hidden Elementals.
>>
>>43795204
I would put a tonnage cap on atmospheric-capable craft, and sub-100kt ships with jump drives would also have to meet the SI floor, as you suggest. (I'm tempted to make the cap 450,000 tons, just so that the Vincent can play, but I'm not sure)
also, price would play a role; I'm one of the folks for vastly reducing DS and JS prices, and these hypothetical craft would be closer to canon JS prices, so that DS/JS combos would retain their popularity simply by hauling twice as much stuff for half the price
>>
>>43795295

Aside from the range bands, there's no difference between an SCL/1 and a PPC. They both do 10 standard and 1 capital damage. That's not a big gun by any definition. 10, 20, 30 standard scale damage is crap for scale of anti-capital guns that a capital ship of war (apart from a Warship) should be mounting.
>>
>>43795295
>I tried saying this once on the official board and got swarmed with drones saying it was obviously an RP 'Mech and so it being completely outclassed by the Elementals it was supposed to kill was fine since it was meant to be used in a different environment.
>Man what.
See, they have a point with it being primarily a mech that exists in-universe and not as an intelligently built unit, but it doesn't have to be so aggressively awful. I mean, an SRM 2 and machine guns? Really? Ugh.

>You're limited a lot by the low mass available for weapons. ER Mediums are one solution, and they will at least help keep you outside the range of Elementals with SRMs. Inferno SRMs would help, but if you can Inferno the Elementals, they can SRM you.
This is why I'm not a fan of >>43795224 or >>43794687 as solutions. If you're in SRM range, so are they, and they probably pack more tubes total than you do. Not a fan ER Mediums are pretty nice though. I think there's a Fireball with 2 ER Meds already as well, which might make an interesting starting point.

>>43795295
>The 'Mech Mortar and Light PPC might work. I don't know if Mortars deliver damage to all targets like an Artillery weapon or not, but you can fit a 'Mech Mortar 1 with a ton of ammo. 1/2 ton left over, don't remember if the ALM comes with CASE. If it doesn't add, CASE. If it does, add a Small Laser RL-10. Ditto with the Light PPC; you might even be able to yank the CASE and mount more RL-10s in that case, or install an Active Probe to help spot hidden Elementals.
I seem to recall that, as much as I like the Mech Mortar, it's really extremely shitty. I wonder about the LPPC though, that seems like a solid choice with an RL-10 or two for backup.
>>
>>43795514

>Aside from the range bands

Those are a big deal, man.

Leaving aside for a moment the fact SCL-1s and LSCCs can do orbital bombardment, a SCL-1 or LSCC has the Long range for Capital weapons, letting it hit out to 40 hexes. The PPC has a range of Medium, so it can hit out to 12.

By the time the PPC can hit *at all*, the SCL-1 or LSCC is at short range.

The larger Sub-Capital Cannons and Lasers have a range of 24 hexes, twice that of the PPC. Likewise, the PPCs have to be in short range of the Sub-Cap weapons to get a shot off.

Account for facings, evasive movement, and ECM and those additional to-hit modifiers get better and better for the Sub-Capital weapons.

Then there's arc weapon limits to consider. Matching the damage of a Sub-Capital weapon with standard ones will require the use of more weapons-especially if you're using ones that can hit out to Long or Extreme range and be able to compete- barely- with Capital weapons ranges. And the more weapons you mount, the closer you get to having to pay fire control tonnage.

So your bay of 6 LGRs barely manages to shade the range and match the damage on a single Medium SCC? Good for you. Keep adding weapons. To get the same damage as two MSCCs you'll need 13 LGRs, which means you've exceeded the 12 base slots and need to pay fire control mass. The SCC unit still has another 10 slots.

Now, a lighter vessel won't have the mass for many Sub-Capital weapons. But by the time you start building big bruisers, 25KT+, Sub-Capital weapons are by far the superior choice.
>>
File: Pocket Vincent.png (40 KB, 647x1108) Image search: [Google]
Pocket Vincent.png
40 KB, 647x1108
Fun Fact: using LGRs as a replacement for NACs, I've managed to build a DropShip with the same armor, SI, and armament as a Vincent Mk 39 for approximately 1% of the mass (4,200 tons, compared to the 412,000 ton base vincent)
it doesn't carry any fighters, but when paired with a Leopard CV, it has the exact same capabilities as a vincent. and that's hilarious
>>
>>43795779

Had a look at it, the Fireball has no CASE. It has a Streak-2 with 1 ton of ammo and one MG with 1 ton of ammo (Why not 2 MGs and a half ton of ammo? Because shut up, that's why.) which is 4 tons total for gear.

An LPPC lets you snipe, and since you don't need to worry about heat and don't want explosive ammo a pair of RL-10s could be useful. On the plus side, extra firepower, but on the down side, they're inaccurate and you're supposed to be going after prey that already has a +1 to-hit modifier. Still, at least you're shooting them at short range to their medium, and if you're at medium range they're at long if they can even hit at all.

A 'Mech Mortar-1 model would have room for a Small Laser or RL-10 in addition to CASE for one ton of ammo. You'd want to run these in full Lances against single Points of Elementals though, which is not ideal.

Something after Bulldog might reasonably have a DHS refit, 3 IS ER Mediums, and a Clan Active Probe.

Maybe you could get the Diamond Sharks to sell you some APGRs. 4 of those and 2 tons of ammo would shred infantry and have a reasonable punch against Elementals, though the SRM range equivalency would rear its ugly head again.

>I mean, an SRM 2 and machine guns? Really?

That's what I said. Especially since we are treated to Elementals shrugging those off in their very first appearances in-character.

"Hey guys, you know how we're building an Elemental-killer? I have a great idea! Since SRM-2s and Machine Guns do fuck all to them, we should totally arm our new 'Mech just with those!"
>>
>>43796080
>Maybe you could get the Diamond Sharks to sell you some APGRs. 4 of those and 2 tons of ammo would shred infantry and have a reasonable punch against Elementals, though the SRM range equivalency would rear its ugly head again.
God forbid you run into APGR Elementals, though.
>>
>>43795897

Leaving aside for a moment the Vincent's ability to Jump and cargo space, your LGRs reach out to a maximum range of 25 hexes. The Vincent's N-A/C has Long-C range, out to 40 hexes.

It can hit you before you can hit it.

"Exact same capabilities" is *really* pushing it.
>>
>>43796199
I feel like what screwed the guy making it up was HMA not showing hex ranges, but just range bands; the LGR is shown as going out to "extreme", same as capital missiles, when it has a much shorter actual hex range. I know I've made that mistake with HMA before
>>
>>43796080
Yeah, I'm liking the LPPC+RLs plan more and more. It feels like a solid way to power an Elemental killer and shouldn't be half-bad at sniping them. Alternatively, you could use a LPPC+Capacitor with DHS for a serious punch against the Elementals. Can an Elemental even survive a 10-point shot?

Maybe even drop a speed bracket and add some armor and a backup weapon (how fast do you need to be against Elementals, anyhow?). That's just a wild idea though.
>>
>>43796395
>how fast do you need to be against Elementals, anyhow?
2/3/4
mfw an urbie with partial Wing is a perfect Elemental hunter
>>
>>43796395
>Can an Elemental even survive a 10-point shot?
Uh, very much yes.
This is like... the most important difference between the Elemental and IS BA.
>>
File: EF-1.png (57 KB, 872x1488) Image search: [Google]
EF-1.png
57 KB, 872x1488
>>43796395

>Can an Elemental even survive a 10-point shot?

Yeah, with 1 point to spare.

>how fast do you need to be against Elementals, anyhow?

They can only move 3 hexes per turn by themselves. As long as you can beat that you should be fine. The Fireball was meant to shore up positions that suddenly found Elementals attacking them, which is why it's so fast. The Drac Komodo is probably a better choice for killing Elementals, but it's in need of a bit of an update these days.

Ideally you want something like this. At least for enemy BA that doesn't have Heat-Resistant Armour, in which case GLHF.

+5/8/5 movement, so you can stay out of their effective range.
+55 tons, which lets you kick for 11 damage. Perfect for stomping one Elemental per turn. TSM lets you stomp bigger suits.
+2 Plasma Cannons. Huehuehue. You could replace one or both with Snub-Nose PPCs if you expect to face Heat-Resistant BA a lot.
+Energy-based secondary armament centred on paired ER and standard MLs, for scattering across the Elementals after you start shooting them. Can hit from outside their SRM range though heat might be an issue when combined with the Plasmas.
+AMS for protecting yourself from their SRM volleys.
+Active Probe so you can spot the little fuckers if they're hiding.
+2 Hands so you can brush them off if things go wrong or you can't/don't want to Jump and dislodge them.

You could do things like shaving some armour off and removing actuators to add LFF and B-Pods, but I'm happy enough with where it is.
>>
>>43796432
If you replaced it's load out with an array of mediums and medium pulses, maybe.
The plasma rifle Urb is also decent.
>>
>>43796687
When do Partial wings appear? Because a PW'd Urbie with DHS and a Blazer is fun in the "Removes 1 suit per round" way.
>>
>>43796720
I'd just switch over to IJJs, myself.
Giving it a tarcomp is also an idea, as is giving it ferro-lam armor.
>>
>>43796842
But then it would have to move 3/5/4 to outrun the Elementals.
>>
>>43796876
Between Lamellor cutting their damage in half and the blazer picking them off in a single hit, I think the urb would be fine just matching their speed.
>>
File: UM.png (46 KB, 772x1204) Image search: [Google]
UM.png
46 KB, 772x1204
>>43797068
>>43796876

Not a bad idea, but I'd do something like this.
>>
File: 1446893295943.jpg (305 KB, 576x576) Image search: [Google]
1446893295943.jpg
305 KB, 576x576
>>43794602
>>43794602
>How do we save [the Fireball] while keeping its ludicrous speed intact?
A capped LPPC would help a lot. You can just fit one on if you spring for Ferro. You could also spring for doubles and give it quad ERMLs, which is a pretty nasty loadout for a Light in any era. The latter design wastes a lot less damage, too, although the Fireball's insistence on torso-mounting everything makes attack runs stay super annoying.
With its speed and the ERMLs, you can get a pretty nice first-strike though - especially if you hang out in the 7-8 rangeband.

..he says, painting up a stock Fireball in the Davion Light Guards scheme.
>>
>>43794041
>13 years later and they are still butthurt

wut
>>
>>43794902
It's a blatant copy of BSG's Viper
>>
you know what would be nice? something along the lines of single-ought for LBX autocannon; half as many pellets, but 2 damage each
>>
>>43797747
That's called an SRM
>>
File: P1010034.jpg (660 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
P1010034.jpg
660 KB, 2048x1536
>>43797571

So, funny thing. It's actually a blatant copy of the SR-5 Siren, from Dougram. The SR-5 itself is a blatant copy of the 1978 BSG Viper. The Viper is a blatant copy of *several* 1950s sci-fi fighter designs - ascertaining which one came first is nearly impossible. Because (again, funny thing), there's only a certain number of ways to reasonably depict something that's supposed to look aerodynamic under 20th century(ish) technology. Pointy nosecone, raised canopy, a few engines in the back, etc.

Which all goes to say, everything copies something and almost nothing is truly original, so calm the fuck down with the plagarism crap.

>here's some Corsairs which ACTUALLY ARE blatant copies of BSG Viper, because they're supposed to be.
>>
>>43797864
Well, yeah. It'd turn the LBX into SRMs rather than LRMs, basically
>>
File: P1010022.jpg (623 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
P1010022.jpg
623 KB, 2048x1536
>>43797904

GODFUCKING DAMMIT

And by "Dougram", I of course mean "Crusher Joe."

All the moonspeak cartoons look the same anyway, right?
>>
>>43797904
calm your tits you sperglord

I swear you're getting more and more useless with that hair trigger
>>
>>43797919
But LRMs do damage in 5-point groups. Each individual missile does one, if that's what you mean.

I only feel the need to point this out because someone on the OF was getting it wrong recently
>>
>>43797928

>Facts = useless
>implying

Everyone here's useless, though. That's why we're here. The only way for us to be more useless would be to post on the OF. Or Sarna's forums. Or LOTB. Or, wait, are there any other Battletech forums that actually matter?

Anyway, everyone's useless, thus noone is.
>>
File: CJF Delta Galaxy.jpg (506 KB, 800x726) Image search: [Google]
CJF Delta Galaxy.jpg
506 KB, 800x726
>>43797948

Which Beemer got it wrong?
>>
>>43798023
That's an awesome model!
>>
>>43797948
Yeah, that's what I meant.
God, LRMs with individual missile hit locations would be a total fucking nightmare
>>
>>43798048
>Pixie IIC 2
Oh god YES.
>>
I played my first game over the weekend and thought it was pretty fun. I read up on the clans and have picked Jade Falcons to start with. I was told 3055 for the era to start with and here are the robbits I picked.

2 Hellbringer (Loki)
Kit Fox (Uller)
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat)
Dire Wolf (Daishi)

Total BV is 9963 so would be a 10k game. Is this a good start or should I swap out some of the mechs for some reason?
>>
>>43798102
The fact you can get all that for under 10K bv is insane

gas the clans space genocide now
>>
>>43798102
I was using Sarna.net BV 1.0 is this correct?

Have to go to work I will check up on this in a few hours.
>>
>>43798125
He's probably using regular pilots is why
>>43798102
Did you remember the BV adjustments for typical clan pilots bring vet?
>>
>>43798140
>BV 1
Oh Christ no. BV 2 is what you should be using
>>
File: New Dallas Assault.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
New Dallas Assault.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Guys, I think I made the SLDF too hardcore.
>>
>>43798140
BV 2.0 is the current BV model, and Sarna's BV listings are the base BVs, before you put a clan pilot in there. So you'd want to use the BV 2.0 value, and then multiply it by 1.38 for your better gunnnery/piloting 3/4 pilots (vs the standard g/p of 4/5).

Your force would be (assuming only the Prime configuration for each mech) 16,343 under the current BV 2.0 system, which is probably why >>43798125 is so surprised. It would be 11,842 with basic 4/5 pilots (which by clan standards are pretty poor pilots).
>>
>>43798179
Do ya think?
I mean, Christ, the SLDF has enough shit to begin with, noo need to go all bizzaro-medron pryde and give them all sorts of extra shit, too
>>
>>43798257
Aside from the carrier CASPARs and the SLDF corps, most of that was available to New Dallas during Operation Apotheosis.
>>
>>43798279
>Aside from the carrier CASPARs and the SLDF corps
you mean the super, super good extra shit?
that's kind of a big fuckin deal, pal
>>
File: 1406357552046.jpg (24 KB, 392x411) Image search: [Google]
1406357552046.jpg
24 KB, 392x411
>>43798279
>aside from the superweapons
that isn't exactly helping your case
>>
>>43798279
>CASPAR II Drones
>modified Potemkins full of drones full of drones
Damn son.
>>
>>43798179
how precisely did mercenaries get their hands on five WarShips? that's some pretty shonky business right there
>>
>>43798179
Post stats on the drones, pls.
>>
>>43798303
The 40 CASPAR Drones are canon. The 5 Potemkin drones are not.

>>43798368
At the time, the Houses were arming House troops with warships and mech regiments and either disguising them as pirates or mercenaries, these just happen to be working for the Lyrans.

>>43798373
I'll need to transcribe the sheet, though stats for the Titan drone do not exist.
>>
>>43798335
Speaking of, besides just going the Lev III route of making the thing bigger and more optimized, how would you go about making a battletech superweapon?

Mass drivers blow, huge bays of cap weapons is too passé, and supercarriers just don't have that pants-shitting Death Star feel.

Could you go absolutely nuts with teleoperated missiles? Because that sounds like loads of fun.
>>
>>43798529
You can do off-bore launches with waypoint stuff IIRC?

Off-bore launches from planetary silos. Lots of planetary silos.
>>
>>43798529
Not that anon, but ship-based superweapons aren't very feasible in battletech. What WOULD work IMO as a battletech superweapon would be a planet-cracker nuclear weapon, along the lines of Halo's NOVA bomb, just a petaton motherfucker to burn worlds (they're making an appearance in my AU as the big blakist superweapon)
>>
>>43798738
>(they're making an appearance in my AU as the big blakist superweapon)
I wanna hear about this.
>>
>>43798048
We do have SB Gauss though.
>>
>>43798738

Nuked outreach and turned it into an asteroid field
>>
File: SA-BLAKE'S WRATH.gif (314 KB, 762x334) Image search: [Google]
SA-BLAKE'S WRATH.gif
314 KB, 762x334
>>43798848
Feels Blake man.
>>
>>43798763
OK, so the warheads(of which there were four) were developed and built by the star league, Kerensky canceling the project as soon as he heard about it on the grounds of it being totally fucking insane. The four warheads were mothballed god only knows where until the blakists dug them up, but were fortunately unable to duplicate the star league supertech involved.
Anyhow, two of the four warheads were used to burn off necromo and that other planet that the blakists asteroided out of existence, the third was used to self-destruct one of the two remaining hidden five, and the last annihilated the regulan genocide fleet on it's way out of the circinus system.
Basically, I tossed the Eryenes out of this AU due to my pathological hatred of relativistic rocks, and replaced it with giant fucking nukes, because they're cooler
>>
We've decided that the way to save Battletech is for CA to make 666 Perseus configs and then collapse them into a singularity that will spawn Battletech 3250.

Thank you for your time.
>>
>>43798738
The Erinyes is practically that already.
All you need to do is convert the KF drive to be super-jump capable and you have a one-shot planet-fucker. Jump into the outskirts of a Pentagon world, do the orbital calculations, and liberally apply asteroids until the planet achieves the desired level of deadness.
>>
>>43799224
Carry on, my wayward son.
>>
>>43799224
Make him make the 666th be a taurian version, so as for his rage to open the seventh seal
>>
File: It's the current year!.jpg (46 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
It's the current year!.jpg
46 KB, 620x349
>there are people in this thread that prefer CBT to AS
>>
>>43799407
he looks like some sort of tea-drinking vampire rabbit

>england cannot into teeth
>>
>>43798234
So what bv should i aim for with 5 mechs for jade falcons?
>>
>>43799527
15,000 BV is generally the norm for a star of clan mechs, assuming all the mechs are not really heavy or really light.
>>
>>43799374
But anon, the Taurians only get interface cockpits and Taurian built Mad Cats.
>>
>>43799569
Rog. What do i use to caculate it then?
>>
>>43799726
God, who was taurian clantech guy? It wasn't medron pryde, but I can't remember who it is
>>
>>43799776
Pen and paper, or mock up the lists in megamek
>>
/btg/ I have two questions. What would be a good weapons loadout for a 85 ton Lyran assault mech designed to take on specifically the Jade Falcons or the Wolves?

And how much would the game be affected if the number of missiles of LRMs and SRMs were switched? Like SRM 10, LRM 6, etc. Everything else staying the same.
>>
>>43799726
>Taurian built Mad Cats
I could actually totally see the dark age taurians scraping their pennies together to buy like two madcats from the sea foxes and building knockoff rakashas in some attempt to ruse people into thinking they can into clantech
>>
>>43800238
Assuming the same crits and tonnage, LRMs become pretty fucking bad and SRMs are "oh god what" level monsters. SRM 20s would be absurd.
>>
>>43800261
Criticals don't get switched, should have said that.
>>
File: Angry Feline.png (40 KB, 578x1165) Image search: [Google]
Angry Feline.png
40 KB, 578x1165
>>43800250
Here you go. Tauian knockoff Mad Cat.
>>
>>43800365
It's actually not that bad. I kind of like it
>>
Any idea when we can expect that new Warhammer sculpt to hit the stores?

Also, I'm surprised to see a DA mech drawn in OP like the regular mechs I'm used to seeing that way. It's nice but I'm damned happy the hideous abomination is getting anally rectified.
>>
>>43800365
do taurians even have the letters X and L in their alphabet?

Wouldn't they view them as a Marian conspiracy and refrain from putting those letters next to their engines?
>>
>>43800486
>warhammer mini
Not for a while. These new classics aren't a sculpt and release deal like IWM does, they're a CGL project.
Maybe in 4 Gencons? :^)

As for that ugly nova. I'm guessing it was done early in CGL pickup when they still called on the older artists. Now color art has been almost completely taken over by new guys.
>>
>>43800588
What the fuck are you even on about?
>>
>>43800731
It's a roundabout way of saying "lol XL engine on a periphery mech"
>>
>>43800748
Technically, they've been able to do that since like the late 50s. It's just that it isn't tuff enuff for periphery lads until the dark age, apparently
>>
File: Teller-Ulam stack.jpg (113 KB, 854x500) Image search: [Google]
Teller-Ulam stack.jpg
113 KB, 854x500
>>43798938
You don't need supertech to build big nukes thanks to Teller-Ulam. You just need a lot of deuterium, and you can chain secondaries. See pic related.

Also, a fun thing that you can do with the Blakists. A Newgrange has enough space for a warship inside. Of course, you can't jump if there's a jump core in there. Though if you replaced the jump core with something else, like a massive Teller-Ulam stack...
>>
>>43800814
>>43800588
The Taurians have plenty of XL mechs from the 80s onwards, so deal with it.
>>
>>43800931
I mean, the more stages you put on a nuke, the more complicated it gets; I wouldn't be surprised if some pretty crazy stuff would be needed for the 30+ stages you'd need for petaton yield. Shit, maybe the SL, being who they are, used a monotask AI to control the reaction or shit like that
>>
>>43800983
That's what I was saying, actually; the periphery=all ICE/SFE all the time was a bullshit meme, not the reality of things
>>
>>43800992
Only in mechanical complexity, IIRC. I'm pretty sure you can keep scaling up by following the same ratio.

Also, putting your petaton warhead in a warship has the benefits of making it rather hard to shoot down by virtue of being covered in armor.
>>
>>43801072
I only vaguely remember my rudimentary nuclear weapons engineering knowledge, but IIRC, the timings and stage material shapes gets ever more complicatedand precise with each stage, not just mechanical complexity
>>
>>43801157
I only vaguely remember my rudimentary nuclear weapons engineering knowledge
Why is reading this making me laugh so hard?
>>
>>43801157
Nah, I think that's with an implosion fission design. There isn't anything to time in a Teller-Ulam after the primary detonates. It just goes.
>>
>>43801226
I used to know a guy who studied in that field (nuclear physics, the warhead stuff was more a hobby), years and years ago, plus reading most of the public domain stuff about that business means I happen to know a thing or two on the topic, though I haven't read on it in many a year
>>
>>43801291
>the warhead stuff was more a hobby
HOW
That's like saying "he was a chemist, IED design was his hobby"
>>
>>43801263
Are you sure? I'm fairly sure that the timings on multi-stage fission-fusion warheads has to be extremely precise to avoid a "fizzle". I believe that it was an issue in many of the early multistage design test shots
>>
>>43801307
You mean you've met a chemist who DIDN'T make homemade bombs for fun? Are you of the post 9/11 generation or just live somewhere weird?
>>
File: Com Guards 11th.png (106 KB, 917x1500) Image search: [Google]
Com Guards 11th.png
106 KB, 917x1500
>>43801307
>>43801370
My mom (who's a biologist) used to joke that my hobby was turning chemistry experiments into physics demonstrations. Then I went into electronics instead after I almost killed myself playing with nitro groups. Twice.

>>43801226
>>43801157
I was an avionics tech, but I couldn't stand most of the people I worked with. So I hung out with the nuke-techs a LOT. Every person even peripherally involved in running a reactor studies weapon design as a hobby, because that shit is cool. It's hilarious being drunk as hell and everyone's trying to remember what's classified and what's not...
>>
>>43801370
I'm a chem-e, and I design fortifications for fun.
>>
>>43801657
This guy was never a .mil nuke tech; he was a little too eccentric for that sort of thing, not to mention somewhat claustrophobic. Last I heard (which was in '99), he was working some university's research reactor.
>>
>>43801657
>Every person even peripherally involved in running a reactor studies weapon design as a hobby
I can confirm, doubly so because my country doesn't even have a weapons program
>>
>>43799776
You can use the master unit list at www.masterunitlist.info to get BV. For a Falcon-y, but not necessarily great, 3055 era list you can get a Fire Falcon Prime, Kit Fox Prime, Stormcrow Prime, Hellbringer B, and Summoner A with 3/5 (not quite Clan average, but better than IS norm) for 10,015 BV. Slightly over your original target, but not so much that it should be a problem.
>>
>>43802352
>3/5 pilots

If you do this, you are a shithead and your opponent is well within his rights to kick you in the sack.
>>
>>43802485
A few 3/5s is fine, having the entire force be that is not. It maintains the 2-point gap rule of thumb, so I wouldn't have any problem with it.

Now, a 0/5? Shoot your opponent, and burn the body.
>>
Huh, had no fuckin clue that /btg/ was so nuclear.
As the guy who OP'd this whole petaton mess, thanks for the info, and since battletech physics=/=real physics, thanks for the info, but imma stick with meganukes being SL only
>>
>>43802485
I don't like it either, but it's hard to squeeze a clan star into 10k without going lights and mediums all the way.

If the 15k suggestion flies, you can manage a Nova B, Stormcrow Prime, Hellbie Prime and F, and a Summoner D at 3/4 for 14,835.
>>
>>43802555
>Huh, had no fuckin clue that /btg/ was so nuclear.
We're all Blakists. It comes naturally.
>>
>>43802541
I'm ok with 3/5 if it's rolled for or only one pilot in a quad or something, but beyond that, it's being a minmaxing faggot.
>>
>>43802858
So putting a 3/5 pilot in a quad, which benefits less than normal for piloting increases and thus for whom not reducing the piloting skill as well is MORE min-maxing (in the same way a 3/5 or 4/6 vehicle crew is), is totally fine. But doing it on a single biped in a star, where that piloting matters more than for the quad, is being a minmaxing faggot?

Your logic makes no sense.
>>
>>43802949
I don't follow your logic at all. You put the 3/5 in a quad because his 5 piloting skill is helped out by the quad bonus to PSRs. And it's fluffy for a bad pilot to get a mech that helps negate his disadvantage.
>>
>>43802698
nigger please. the most that the average blakefag knows about nukes is "mushroom clouds make my peepee hard". fact is, blakefags are the 40kids of battletech.

>muh catchphrases spouted at literally anything
see:
>HERESY!
vs.
>BLAKE AKBAR
>BLAKE ELISON
>BLAKE'S VISION IS THE ONLY TRUTH

>le ebin edgy obsession with warcrimes
>HAHA LE NUKES
>GAS LE CLANNERS
Vs.
>Le ebin exterminatus
>LE WE HAVE RESERBES MAYMAY
see:
>BLAEK DID NUFFIN WRONG
VS
LE HERITICZ EXTERMINATUZ :DDDDDDD

>could le imperium beat X?
Vs
>WoB could have beaten X

is there really any difference?
no, there isn't
>>
>>43803211
C'mon man.
At least try.
>>
File: btsig13.png (121 KB, 640x110) Image search: [Google]
btsig13.png
121 KB, 640x110
>>43803211
y u mad tho
>>
>>43802960
I'm saying that, compared to a 3/4 pilot, the 3/5 in the quad loses LESS than the biped with a 3/5. The quad is probably going to pass it's PSRs just fine regardless if the pilot is 3/4 or 3/5, so putting a 3/5 pilot in there is just saving BV with little mechanical impact. You are minimizing the downside of lower piloting skill while still getting the same BV savings. That is literally minmaxing. I'm wondering why you're fine with that but in a biped, where you DON'T have a free -2 to all PSRs that makes the 1-point skill difference nearly irrelevant, a 3/5 pilot is "being a minmaxing faggot".
>>
>>43803222
He explained it clearly - having a 3/5 pilot in a quad makes sense from a fluff perspective, because you put a worse pilot in a machine that compensates for his inability.

It is kinda minmaxing though.
>>
>>43803217
do you really deny that blakefags have posted every last thing that I described here in /btg/ in the last month or so?
>>43803220
>literally blakefag image
I'm mad because this is the only fucking thread without standard 40kids on it, and we instead have blake-flavoured 40kids, which shit up most /btg/ s. lord knows that there'll never be peace from that shit, which is why I mad

and for that matter, I genuinely don't understand FWL fans who like the wurd
like, the WoB is directly responsible for the end for the FWL as a cohesive entity as well as the destruction of several FWL worlds outright. why would you like a group that had done nothing but fuck over the FWL?
>>
>>43803229
I can understand him being fine with the pilot being in the quad, I just don't understand why he's not ALSO fine with the same pilot in a biped with a stated reason of "it's minmaxing" (when it's the less minmaxed of the options).

Also, what does that worse pilot ride when you don't have any quads available? They're not exactly common, after all, especially in a front-line galaxy outside of the hell's ponies.
>>
>>43803220
holy shit, that looks exactly like a sig that I once saw on Pryde Rock Industries or possibly some other shit-ass forum, except with "Periphery Only" instead of " In Blake We Trust"
>I used to be a hardcore taurianfag, even a Medron Pryde JR, and I'm ashamed to know of those sites
>>
>>43803257
Also, in context, the star has a LOKI in it. Really, you have to consider that he's already hauling a cripple around. Having one slightly optimized pilot is not going to fix the heavy mech with the armor of a low-end medium.
>>
>>43803277

>but clanners are literally all moonwalking faggots with underpriced machines and bullshit headcapping ER PPCs and DHS that makes playing them easy mode, while IS players are all gentlemen of high quality and distinction
>>
File: CCG_Crusade_Thunder_Hawk.jpg (33 KB, 301x374) Image search: [Google]
CCG_Crusade_Thunder_Hawk.jpg
33 KB, 301x374
>>43803303
the most gentlemanly.
>>
>>43803246
>why would you like a group that had done nothing but fuck over the FWL?
Isn't there a word for questions that have the answer to the question inside the question?
>>
Fact: Blakists are basically /btg/'s counterparts to taurianfags, since we lack anything like medron pryde and the gang and therefore aren't fed up with their muh nukes antics
>>
>>43803372

>implying that the Thunderhawk isn't as overpriced as fuck for its capabilities and isn't completely outclassed by the Loki Prime

Way too many IS players literally believe this shit.
>>
>>43803378
yes, but this is a question addressed to FWL fans who also like the blakists, rather than folks who like le word because they hate the FWL
>>
>>43803378

Stockholm syndrome.

I guess to be fair the FWL wasn't really there to do anything other than be the FedCom's punching bag/weapons supplier until the Jihad either. By the time the FWL finally started to matter and be plot-relevant, shit was getting real.
>>
>>43803393
I'd rather have a Fafnir 5A for the price, but you're right.
>>
>>43803400
I think he was pointing out that
>like, the FWL is directly responsible for the end for the FWL as a cohesive entity as well as the destruction of several FWL worlds outright. why would you like a group that had done nothing but fuck over the FWL?
ie: FWL fans are, by definition, fans of the FWL. And the FWL has fucked over the FWL so many times that nobody else can even come close.
>>
>>43803424
You are reading way too much into that.
I was just saying that all the birdposting in these threads has made the FWL disintegrating a little more enjoyable in retrospect.
>>
>>43803434
really, I don't mind the purple bird shit the same way that I don't really mind taurianposting (though what taurianfags are active here ATM are unreasonably reasonable, which is fucking odd for BTG). I don't really mind people who's faction got fistfucked by TPTB being all "we coulda been a contenda" here, to be honest. people who are like "we got gud and want MOAR" are what I dislike, though thankfully they are rare
>>
Periphery Protomechs when? They prolly got around the engine size problems by using ICEs or SFEs
>>
>>43803592
Protos already use plain SFEs. The main problems are the cockpit and structure/armor efficiency.
>>
>>43803609
That and not having the strange aversion to fielding vees that clanners have.
>>
>>43803592
I could see periphery psudo-protomechs as the terrifying result of bubbaing BA and ultralight bugs into a single shitshow of a thing.
say, 10-15 tons with the rough efficiency of protomechs ~half their weight? I would allow those as a periphery militia thing
>>
File: progress - 11-20 to 11-24-15.jpg (299 KB, 1426x740) Image search: [Google]
progress - 11-20 to 11-24-15.jpg
299 KB, 1426x740
Conversionfag here.
So, uh.. they finally put me on Ritalin after years of dicking around. Last Wednesday.
Since Friday, I've managed to get at least three hours of painting in every day, and it feels fucking great. Granted, I already had to strip one model and Mike Hasek is going back in the dunk tank for the third time, but this is more than I've done in a frigging year. Anyway..

"Lisa" Shadow Hawk - base edges need a little cleanup, awaiting reattachment of the twin-LRM rack.
Crud, Victor, Longbow, MacLaren - mini done, awaiting base and sealing.
Everyone else is in various stages of "blocked in" and "primed". Vang's getting a white cockpit frame and head, and the Griffin will likely be getting a flame-job on the torso for shits and giggles.

I'm testing sepiatone ink versus cool grey on the BLK and ersatz Malak - I think I'm liking the Malak's grey ink better right now. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1421289903142.jpg (147 KB, 1024x769) Image search: [Google]
1421289903142.jpg
147 KB, 1024x769
>>43803400
>yes, but this is a question addressed to FWL fans who also like the blakists, rather than folks who like le word because they hate the FWL
Look, man, I like pirates, and I like a Clan, and I enjoy playing the various rivalries of the New Syrtanians out against all foes, foreign and domestic. You can enjoy a faction and a semi-related faction that fucked them over just because games with both are fun to play.
>>
File: Lisa - Medium Lance Cover.png (6 MB, 1386x1799) Image search: [Google]
Lisa - Medium Lance Cover.png
6 MB, 1386x1799
>>43803632
>at least three hours of painting
erp, that should be "up to". My bad. Also, for the record, whomever decided that Clavell's ace scheme should be silver-on-grey is a bad person.
>>
>>43803655
>Victor
>Zeus
>Thunder Hawk
The last mech in that lance could be a Fireball and it would still be ridiculous.
>>
>>43803621

>the periphery in 3250
>the marians discover protomechs, have a great run of beating up their neighbors before protomech spartacus happens
>the taurians finally reunify, get their shit sort-of together and go full isolationist from the IS
>fronc reaches manage to grab detroit back and become the arms basket of the near periphery
>the Magistracy runs an elaborate scheme involving the capcon, reunified taurians, marians, Andurien and the neo-FRR movement, only to culminate in a sextuple cross that would make revolver ocelot shed a single tear, reestablishing themselves as a completely independent major periphery power and slapping the capcon's shit
>an uncharacteristically militant faction arises in the Raven Alliance, seeking to REMOVE CLAN and revive the outworlds alliance. they have nukes. and a stolen WarShip, maybe
>the Rim Collection pulls a small WarShip fleet outta nowhere, and proceeds to use it entirely to transport cargo
>the neo-lothian league gets busy trying to take advantage of the marian's troubles for REVENGE
>the brotherhood of randis continues to have a great time fighting pirates
>there's actually fluff about the rim territories
>>
File: Mercs 3055 Cover.jpg (174 KB, 800x890) Image search: [Google]
Mercs 3055 Cover.jpg
174 KB, 800x890
>>43803674
Personally I'm more interested in that quad WorkMech-ish thing they've got working on the Zeus. And it >is< the 21st Centauri, which is essentially a Davion house command without all that pesky "oversight" and "deployment restrictions" malarkey.

Meanwhile, over at Wilson's Hussars, this IS the entire lance..
>>
File: 1320163775329.jpg (49 KB, 400x358) Image search: [Google]
1320163775329.jpg
49 KB, 400x358
>>43803715
>there's actually fluff about the rim territories
But then how can they pull the surprise Amaris heir out of their assholes to take on the Kerensky in charge of the wolves and the secret Camerons?

...Christ, I hope that isn't the actual plotline of 3250. If it is, I'm kneecapping Randall the next time I see him.
>>
>>43803897
Isn't that thing some sort of support vehicle?
I would dig through the VA, but that would involve digging through VA.
>>
>>43803938
honest, that's probably better than what they will think up
it involves the bear confederation combining the lev III with the power of XIN SHENG to become ilclan, I bet
>>
>>43803938
>Christ, I hope that isn't the actual plotline of 3250
we're already in the wind, it's too late to fight it now
I just kick back, keep warm on the cold days and laugh cause it ain't like it was in the old days
>>
>>43803592

>Periphery
>Able to build Clan-spec Endo Steel, Ferro-Fibrous, improved heat sinks, Proto cockpits, and EI

Pick one and only one.

Well, unless you're Medron Pryde. In which case, not only does the TC have Protos, they also have a WarShip fleet that composed of ships that make the Lev III turn green with envy.
>>
File: 1428295781252.jpg (29 KB, 288x274) Image search: [Google]
1428295781252.jpg
29 KB, 288x274
>>43803971
Why spoiler that shit, man? We all know it's comin'.

>>43803984
I may not be able to stop them, but I have a deadblow sledge, and I know where his porch is.
>>
File: 1294368691860.jpg (59 KB, 437x608) Image search: [Google]
1294368691860.jpg
59 KB, 437x608
>>43804001
Endo (because that makes everything better).
iHS - 2t, 2cr, sink 3 heat, engine can only mount half as many as usual due to the boosted tonnage - would also be cool.
>>
>>43804001
>they also have a WarShip fleet that composed of ships that make the Lev III turn green with envy.
honestly, as a former and not even really repentant member of Pryde Rock Industries, I will say that even in his ultimate expression of taurianwank, that is to say his "The Human Sphere" AU, any one of the former Lyran states (or, for that matter former FWL states) could slap the taurian's shit as naval designs go.
medron deserves the very smallest amount of credit for having the ghost burrs on par with all the other factions navally in that AU, FWTW.
also I actually kind of like his idea of fairly common sub-100,000t "warships" that are sort of "go anywhere, do anything" craft. I think they'd be a nice addition to a non-factionfagged AU
>>
>>43803938
Of course not. It will be revealed the real Nicky K. was replaced by a double just before the Exodus. That double being the secret son of Stefan Amaris, and that he also secretly replaced all Kerensky genetic material in the eugenics program with Amaris. The Clans were basically Stefan's revenge on Aleksandr.
>>
>>43803621
What the Periphery groups call their Protos?
>>
>>43804552

http://www.pryderockindustries.com/humansphere/ddb/os_magistracy_of_canopus.php
http://www.pryderockindustries.com/humansphere/ddb/os_taurian_concordat.php
http://www.pryderockindustries.com/humansphere/ddb/os_fronc_federation.php
>>
If you had to pick 1 decent/important Mercenary unit that worked for each of the Great Houses around 3045 (and excluding the Dragoons) who would you pick for each one?

Kell Hounds seems an obvious choice for the Lyrans, but what about the rest?
>>
>>43804835
Capellans: McCarron's Armored Cavalry (the Big Mac)
FedCom/Davion: Eridani Light Horse
FedCom/Lyran: Kell Hounds (as you note)
Free Worlds: drawing a blank
Dracs: none. Takashi's "Death to Mercenaries" order pretty much fucked them with every merc who had enough neurons to form a synapse. Besides, they had the Yakuza Ghost Regiments and the Legions of Vega to do the same cannon-fodder jobs other realms assign to mercs.
>>
>>43804869
>Free Worlds
21st Centauri Lancers? Or the Crater Cobras, Smithson's Chinese Bandits, Langendorf Lancers or Kristen's Krushers.
Or even Waco's Rangers if you want troubled.
>>
Fallout Power Armor style BA when?
>>
>>43800365
>hands
0/10, terrible Mad Cat
>>
>>43805392
Fallout has pretty much light power armor that cant jump for shit, and has no myomers so its probably weak as fuck... Or do you mean how it is easy to enter by opening up like a metal flower full body condom?
>>
>>43805449
the latter. On an entirely unrelated note, how do you give a LAM a Full-Head-Ejection System?
>>
>>43805481
I can easily see that style of BA seeing use as an emergency responder, like a firefighter or something where time is of the essence but you are going into a hazardous environment.

Im going to assume that the flower design provides too many fiddly structural weak points or doesnt play nice with myomers(or the real reason being it simply wasn't thought of cause that shit is pretty cool).
>>
>>43805572
>like a firefighter or something where time is of the essence but you are going into a hazardous environment.
Can BAs use a Hatchet? cos I'm picturing this with a Hachet and A Handheld Fluid Gun.
>>
File: doomguyripandtear_2140.jpg (30 KB, 344x267) Image search: [Google]
doomguyripandtear_2140.jpg
30 KB, 344x267
>>43805612
You could probably just refluff any of the BA claws as a hatchet. Otherwise BA do not have any melee weapons because they prefer the Doomguy method of close combat.

However there are enough equipment choices to make a firefighter BA close enough with some refluffing. Hell, the vibro-shovel might be exactly what we are looking for but I have no idea about the rules for it.
>>
>>43805845
Wasn't the Smooth David and Smooth Goliath PAL meant for emergency operations?
>>
>>43805449

Fallout tech is nearly as magical as BT's, though. At least pre-War.

Fusion-powered cars, robots with advanced AI, man-portable nukes, GECKs, stass pods, food that's still eadible after being nuked into the ground and a couple of centuries, etc etc.

Fallout powered armour is probably roughly analogous to Elemental armour for protection and stat boosts. It doesn't have a jump pack, but that's probably more because they got sidetracked building Liberty Prime than because it would have been impossible for them.

>>43805612

They'd want to have Armoured Gloves, but it's doable in the RPG. I think the BT rules prevent it because reasons.
>>
>>43805854
I had to go to sarna for those but yea, thats what it looks like, but more on the police work side of things and appear not to be environmentally sealed.
>>
File: time for elementals.jpg (79 KB, 605x788) Image search: [Google]
time for elementals.jpg
79 KB, 605x788
>>43805572
Who says BA doesn't open up?

Though setting aside inconsistencies in art for the Elemental (it's been shown to be put on more akin to a suit of armor in art too), we don't actually know exactly how anyone gets into a lot of them. But we do know that some are basically mini mechs (Kanazuchi) or at least can infer it (Marauder) so those would almost certainly involve hopping in and closing a hatch.

>>43805612
Mounted, no. You can carry one with armored gloves though. And many of the tasks of a fireman's axe could be handled by a battle claw. A battle claw could also serve as a jaws of life.
>>
>>43804512
That would actually be kinda awesome. Especially seeing what the Clanners do to deal with their entire culture being an insane sham
>>
>>43805918
You probably want more the Krise or Resgate.

The Resgate being a Clan design that mounts fire resistant armor. It also has neat fluff in that the Cobras won the armor from the Mandrills through a trial between scientists, rather than the usual shooty warrior kind. One beat another in an experiment, though the details of it aren't expanded on.

Also, all BA, are inherently environmentally sealed. So any missing face plates or the like in art should be presumed to simply be removable when not needed.
>>
>>43805944
Their culture is already an insane shame, so nothing would change.
>>
>>43805930
I was talking more about how the whole suit opens up, not just a hatch.

>>43805903
An elemental can survive an AC10, I think Fallout may be a little more grounded in this regard.

Do not forget that Fallout is a bit of a comedy on purpose, and not in the Bethesda "death is so funny lool XD" kind of way.

>>43806045
That right there is some pretty cool batchalling. I was kinda iffy on PAL rules if they adhered to the environmental sealing as well.
>>
>>43806137

>An elemental can survive an AC10, I think Fallout may be a little more grounded in this regard.

Fallout BA can survive pocket nukes. Or proper nukes, at ranges much closer than BT power armour.

Some of the last weapons built before the War run on Micro-Fusion Breeders. Literally acorn-sized fusion reactors with a fast-charge capacitor attached.

Liberty Prime would wreck the shit out of a 'Mech. And its nukes (ironically) leave a lot less fallout than you get in BT.

Pre-War tech is complete bullshit in the Fallout universe. Like, seriously.
>>
>>43806244
Where does your nuke info come from? I don't remember any of that shit. Also, all sci fi shit runs on unobtanium power sources so I really don't care. Unless you think the 2500 joules of kinetic force the T-51b can shrug off is a big deal, I would leave energy densities and the like out of this.

And just because it needs to be said

>Bethesda
>Bethesda doing anything right
>>
The Techmanual seems to be out of print. Does that mean there is a new edition coming?
>>
>>43806472

>Where does your nuke info come from?

Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and Fallout NV.

>Unless you think the 2500 joules of kinetic force the T-51b can shrug off is a big deal, I would leave energy densities and the like out of this.

Kek. Your Google skills are weak. It's "over 2500 joules," not "up to 2500 joules and anything more will totally kill the wearer so you'd better hope nobody is carrying anything heavier than a revolver."

>I would leave energy densities and the like out of this.

>BT armour can survive an A/C-10 hit, but you're not allowed to reference any lore from any other universe where their suits can take heavier hits because muh energy densities

Sure, if you wanna dismiss the lore of other universes, all their tech is shit and BT wins forever. Well done.
>>
>>43807160
>Fallout 3, Fallout NV, and Fallout NV.
>Fallout NV, and Fallout NV
Well atleast you like the good one.

>It's "over 2500 joules," not "up to
No where did I even imply that. However being written the way it is, does heavily suggest that not a whole lot more force would penetrate. Otherwise it is practically a non-sequitter on the order of "this oven can heat over room temperature".

>BT armour can survive an A/C-10 hit, but you're not allowed to reference any lore from any other universe where their suits can take heavier hits because muh energy densities

>Sure, if you wanna dismiss the lore of other universes, all their tech is shit and BT wins forever. Well done.

Missing the point. The power source for the armor and weapons is irrelevant. I want to know their effectiveness in their own universe. IIRC there were a few things that could withstand the mini nukes, all of them being non-vehicle enemies. Speaking of vehicles, there are hardly any present to make decent comparisons to. The AC10 is a pretty decent bog standard tank gun that won't kill a slightly larger than man sized target on a direct hit. I really dont feel like bringing the sherman from tactics into this where it has explosive shells that can one shot groups in PA.
>>
>>43807887

>Well atleast you like the good one.

Meant Fallout 4, but whatever.

>The power source for the armor and weapons is irrelevant.

The point is that though the aesthetic for Fallout is pseudo-50s Americana, they had insane tech under it.

>IIRC there were a few things that could withstand the mini nukes, all of them being non-vehicle enemies.

In NV, power armour survives being at ground zero after the Divide. In F3-F4, you're finding functional armour all over the place, including military facilities that ate repeated nukes to the face.

There's reports on computers you can hack about the earlier T-45 suits shrugging off tank-mounted railgun fire, never mind what the more advanced T-51 or Enclave armour can withstand.

Fallout tech is just that durable.

>I really dont feel like bringing the sherman from tactics into this where it has explosive shells that can one shot groups in PA.

>I really don't feel like bringing a non-canon game into this.

Good for you.
>>
falloutfags please fuck off
>>
Holy Christ, I feel like I'm on fukkin spacebattles again
>>
>>43808169

>The point is that though the aesthetic for Fallout is pseudo-50s Americana, they had insane tech under it.

O-okay? Never disputed that.

>In F3-F4, you're finding functional armour all over the place
Which is retarded for multiple reasons. The real reason is because fun gameplay trumps logic, simple as that.

>shrugging off tank-mounted railgun fire

Light gauss rifle wont kill an elemental.

>I really don't feel like bringing a non-canon game into this.

What, you think 3 and on are?

But as these anons point out>>43808187
>>43808300
, this is done. I've had my 40KvsSW fun.
>>
Design Challenge: design a pair of mechs meant to operate as a team, centurion/trebuchet style
>>
>>43808412
Well there's nothing special about the Centurion/Treb so...
>>
>>43808412

It's been done. Just use two of these >>43803372.
>>
>>43808569
Horgath pls go
>>
Fuck it, new design challenge: build a decent 3025 downgrade of the emperor
>>
>>43808412
So something like the Hammer/Anvil, but that actually works?
>>
>>43808860
Pretty much
>>
>>43808734
He's not wrong.
>>
>>43808860
It does. The Hammer uses smoke and Thunder to force enemies to close with the Anvil, which cuts them apart with the LPLs.

The thing to remember about the Anvil is that it's basically a Dragon -1N with LPLs and jump 3 instead of the AC and LRMs. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
>>
>>43809691
>It does. The Hammer uses smoke and Thunder to force enemies to close with the Anvil, which cuts them apart with the LPLs.

Shit forgot the important part. IN THEORY.
>>
The Anvil is ok aside the 8m.
Hammer can be fun to mess around with but not so useful or good.
In theory they work together, would I ever field them together? No.
>>
>>43809792
Well, when in doubt, Frankenmech them into the Forge.
>>
>>43809792
>Hammer can be fun to mess around with but not so useful or good.
The 7 ML one is NASTY in urban maps.
>>
>>43809818
I'm unaware of this one.
>>43809822
I will never tire of anything rocking a brace of MLs, ever.
>>
WarShip fans (NEA if you're around), what are your favorite corvettes?
>>
>>43806244

Fallout and Battletech ironically use just about the exact same conceit when it comes to their technology - energy available increased, but computing power available didn't.

That's why both settings feature big, imposing war machines that can stomp around but they still need human beings to control them, and don't just run entirely on computers. Of course you can see why that would be preferable from a roleplaying perspective.
>>
>>43809844
>I'm unaware of this one.
Forge was name I came up with on the fly for a Franken that is basically half the bits of the best variant of the Anvil, rebuilt from the ground up by stripping literally everything out of the best Hammer variant and mounting it in there and slapping some armor on the end product.
>>
>>43809881
fallout

fags

fuck

off
>>
>>43809872
I personally like the pinto best; it's well-balanced as weapons go, it's reasonably tough as pre-fox corvettes go, and most importantly, it can carry a DropShip, which only one or two other corvettes can
>>
>>43809929
Sounds like it could be fun, any specs you remember?
I'm always looking at playing with new toys.
>>
>>43809983
>Sounds like it could be fun, any specs you remember?
The original Forge was essentially a -5M that had it's MLs and ECM totaled, that was replaced with the two LRM-5s and the ML from the Slammer
>>
File: Liberty Prime.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Liberty Prime.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43809930

FAGGOTRY IS NON-NEGOTIABLE
>>
>>43809947
What do you think of the Zec? Do you prefer Block I or II?
>>
File: DSCN0028.jpg (426 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0028.jpg
426 KB, 1600x1200
>>43809872

Honestly, it depends on what you want your corvette to do.

Recon? I really like the Bonaventure, because it remembers what a corvette is SUPPOSED to be. It goes out, finds trouble, and runs the fuck away to tell the fleet of Farraguts where the trouble is. Its only downside in this role is a lack of LF battery, but considering it predates that tech by 200 years, it's petty to complain about it.

Fleet escort? Zec or Fox, depending on your preferences. Both can at least screen against enemy fighters for a little while. The Zec has a better throw-weight and has the thrust to permanently stay on evasive movement while still keeping up with your big boys. The Fox has the armor/SI to just eat incoming fire for a good length of time.

Space-superiority? Fredsa or Mako, both because they're fun to play on the tabletop in that role. They basically both handle like giant ASFs...and zooming a Fredsa through an asteroid field only to close and smack somebody upside the head with a NAC/40 is never not hilarious.

Wasting space on a TO&E in order to make your fleet seem more powerful than it actually is? Vincent, by a country mile. Choose your mark.

Commerce-raiding? None of them, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Zec or Inazuma. A commerce raider should be swift, armed with a variety of weapon systems, and capable of long periods of deployment. As long as you're not taking prizes, the Inazuma and Zec both SORT OF work here (both with good n-space speed and an LF battery, and the Inazuma with LOTS of gas to run down targets in n-space). The Inazuma *stats* make it good for this, but the hot-racking fluff really hurts it.

General-purpose? Fox or Pinto. Largely based on >>43809947's totally correct argument.

>I need to totally re-do these. The shelf holding them fell off the wall years ago, and they were assembled in a huge hurry (not cleaned, badly decaled) in the first place. But IMO this is the canon MoC WarShip scheme.
>>
>>43810356
I generally dislike the post-SL WarShips, but the zec is the main exception. I like the block I a bit better than the II, because I like NLs a bit more than missiles (though I'd like to see a Block III with no NACs and both NLs and missiles)
>>
>>43797516
see >>43800486
>>
>>43810412
I actually like the Vincent, because I can hand them out by the bagful in my AU without worrying too much about being imbalancing things. That, and they're dirt simple and easy to run a bunch of them tabletop
>>
>yfw the FWL will never rule the IS with its warship dick
>>
>>43810412
Hrm, I recognize the dart, Winchester and Lola, but what's the one in the back with the fins
>>
>>43809947
>I personally like the pinto best
>liking pinto

uehuehueh, you gay
look for pinto on xvideos next time and have fun
>>
>>43810714
I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds like homosexual pornography, so I'll pass on that
>>
>>43810714
>being this much of a faggot
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>43810412
What is the Vincent good for?

And what do you think of the Zec blocks?

I'm trying to decide between using one or the other.
>>
File: DSCN0058.jpg (838 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0058.jpg
838 KB, 1600x1200
>>43810700

Aegis, 2750 vintage.

You know how there's a huge disconnect in 3025-era Mech selection between what happens in the fluff (lots of Bugs, archers) and what happens on the tabletop (ie, your force is not 40% bugs)? Aerotech is like that, but worse by an order of magnitude, because there's such a ludicrous tech disparity between the SLDF and EVERYBODY else. And that disparity doubles (or more) between the SLDF and the Periphery. Which in practice makes for incredibly shitty gameplay.

Assuming nukes aren't in play, take a unit of 4 Pintos, a Dart, and a Winchester. That's a *very* well-equipped MoC squadron. Try and play a tabletop game against a period-appropriate SLDF line squadron (which will likely include some combination of multiple Black Lions, Aegises, Farraguts, Monsoons, and/or Luxors). The MoC player will be lucky to get past turn 3 with any ships left, and that only if you're starting pretty much out of range to begin with. Or to put in in BattleTech terms, take 4 Targes, a -3R Stinger, and a PHX-1 Phoenix Hawk against 2 Timber Wolves, a Warhawk, and two Stormcrows. Oh, and since the SLDF has combat experience where the Periphery nations don't, extend that analogy so that the T-wolves and Stormcrows are all 3/4 pilots, and all of the bugs and the Pixie are all 5/6 pilots. That's what playing "fluff-appropriate" WarShip-based AeroTech games are like when you drive Periphery units.

Thus, painting up some "surplus" SLDF-tech ships that the Periphery got their hands on, to make the game the least bit enjoyable. I've got a pair of MoC Aegises and a Farragut for that purpose, and a couple of Battlecruisers (I can't recall which) painted up in Taurian colors which I've never photographed. I like playing fluff-accurate as much as anybody, but I like actually being able to provide a genuinely enjoyable game experience to my players a little more.
>>
>>43810878
Every single time I hear about Aero, it baffles me that they don't do a reboot.
>>
>>43810878
>dat Aegis
I love the classic warship designs
>>
>>43810855
>What is the Vincent good for?

See >>43810412

Also: it's a passable recon unit in that you can chuck them out there and not care overmuch if they don't come back. You can use it as convoy protection as long as you're not expecting a *real* commerce raider. You can use it as a "fleet in being" unit insofar as it's better to have a WarShip showing the flag somewhere than a transport JumpShip and some ASFs. You can use it as a "tripwire" unit (ie, if it stops reporting back to you, something probably happened and you should send real units out to investigate). You can use it as a moderately well-armed transport unit. You can use it as a training vessel (both in-universe, and for new AT players).

I try not to complain about WarShips "wasting" tonnage on cargo space. The only two that really vex me are the Vincent and the SovSoy.

>And what do you think of the Zec blocks?

I'm away from my books, and I can't recall the NL layout, and that's the important part. If the NLs are bracketable to a useful degree they can be used in AAA mode against attacking fighters and the Zec I becomes a useful fleet escort unit. If they aren't bracketable, then I generally start to prefer the Zec II, because off-bore missile launches on a fast vessel and be made to work well, and because it ends up with useful (albeit ammo-limited) AAA throw-weight. I USUALLY prefer direct-damage for anti-Ship duties instead of hoping for CapMissile criticals, so my overall preference is for the Zec I, but neither one is a totally incapable WarShip.
>>
>>43810984
It doesn't baffle me. B-Tech never reboots and near as I've looked never goes back to fix anything.

Two reasons for this: Reason the first, the aspie's at CGL and the IP owners are deeply invested in their product and think it perfect just the way it is and can't agree on any changes. Secondly, the Sperglord fanbase simply can not accept that anything else set in the same setting is battletech, if they don't need to roll 2D6 a score of times to resolve one unit shooting the other it just doesn't have the cludgy feels their after. See also response around here to AlphaStrike.
>>
>>43811045
Did you ever play the Babylon 5 tabletop fleet game?
>>
>>43810798
Anon, you are the ones talking about pintos on a CBT thread
>>
>>43810878
Yeah, one of the goals of the AU that I'm doing is to have it so that real balanced WarShip engagements can happen
>>
>>43811114
No, I'm the one chastising you for encouraging people to look for gay porn as a desperate stretch from people talking about warships. I don't give a shit about the warships themselves.
>>
>>43811084

Both of them. Primarily EarthForce, with a side of Centauri. Got my ass handed to me every time some asshole decided to use one of the expansion races (generally Drazi or Vree), but did well against all of the other "main" races (including Shadows/vorlons).

They were good rulesets. I preferred B5 Wars more than Fleet Action, but that's because I LIKE fairly detailed rulesets for naval wargaming, as opposed to more abstracted stuff (such as - moving back to space - Full Thrust).

With that like of detailed systems in mind:
>>43811074

There's some truth to both of your reasons, but there's a third that's equally important, if not more so. A LOT of TPTB simply don't give a shit about AT and think that developing it was probably a mistake in the first place. It pulls resources away from the main game, it was poorly done in the first place (see: FASA), and due to their *company* policy of not rendering previous work totally non-canon, they can't go back and fix the crap FASA did wrong. For all the nitpicks about the fluff we have with the ground game, there are deep and fundamental flaws in the way WarShips work that simply aren't present in the ground game. So while I consider the "no retcon" policy of BATTLEtech to be a strength, when it comes to AEROtech, it's a weakness, because the game needs to be almost totally rethought and re-statted.
>>
>>43811190
I fucking knew it, especially that you'd main EarthForce. I always wanted to get into it but only got to play a few games (didn't have time/money at that time), and now hardly anyone plays it.
But anyway, you seemed like the type. I liked that BT doesn't have magic gravity for ships and B5 (sorta) didn't either.

How do you think an Omega destroyer would fare against a Star League warship?
>>
File: all this projection.jpg (67 KB, 520x359) Image search: [Google]
all this projection.jpg
67 KB, 520x359
>>43811172
>encouraging people to look for gay porn AS A DESPERATE STRETCH FROM PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT WARSHIPS.

that's some serious projection going on, anon. Warships looking like dicks is a common joke and Pinto just happens to be literally named Dick.
>>
>>43811267
To add, I played mostly Narn or Centauri because that's what my friends had. Love the Narn designs.
>>
>>43811291
You need to think about something other than penis
>>
File: DSCN0044.jpg (417 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0044.jpg
417 KB, 1600x1200
>>43811267
>I fucking knew it, especially that you'd main EarthForce.

What was the giveaway for that? (Genuinely not sure on the tone of this)

>How do you think an Omega destroyer would fare against a Star League warship?

That's actually a pretty neat question. Without using any stats or "real life" comparisons whatsoever, I'd roughly equate the Nova Dreadnought to the McKenna, because they both have a similar role. In that fight, and assuming each ship is using vector, I'd probably give the fight to the McKenna...but the McKenna would know it'd been in a fight.

The Nova wins the closing phase of the fight, but once the McKenna gets in range, it swings broadside and it seems to have an overall greater firepower. The damage dealt by the Nova as they close is primarily to the McKenna's nose arc, and now the BB is showing its broadside, while the Nova *must* stay bow-on to its target. BattleTech armor is a LOT more effective than B5 armor, so the armor of the McKenna, plus the fact it can roll to present an entirely new broadside armor arc to the Nova, while the Nova pretty much has to stay bow-on, is going to be the primary difference.

There's probably a ton of niggling details that could swing this one way or another, and I'm leaving parasite craft out of it completely. But in a 1-on-1, open-space, meeting engagement, I'd give it to the McKenna 7 and 3/4ths out of 10 times.
>>
File: 1448053465634.jpg (113 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1448053465634.jpg
113 KB, 800x600
medium kek
top disgust
>>
>>43811794
Oh hey, MadCap's Clan character
>>
how do semi-guided LRMs interact with artemis?
>>
File: DSCN0043.jpg (394 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0043.jpg
394 KB, 1600x1200
>>43811267
>>43811707

Holy shit, I didn't actually answer your question. I'm sorry.

I get the impression that the Omega (not the Shadow Omega, obviously) would not be terribly out of place or tech-level with mid-range Terran Hegemony-era craft. With the understanding that we don't really have legitimate canon "stats" for what an Omega can do (power output through lasers to compare them against BTs, delta-v, and so forth - hell, there's a 250-person/50% variance in crew capacity just from citations from show episodes), it's got about the same "feel" as craft from 2300-2500 era. A Farragut would probably beat the hell out of an Omega, for example, while I feel than an Omega compares very favorably to the TAS Dreadnought.

There's the issue that the *number* of weapons carried by an Omega is fairly low (8 capital-class beam weapons, a few dozen secondaries, and a whole lot of missile hatches that were never used on the show because of budgetary reasons so nobody's sure if they "count" or not), but the show did say that the beam weapons had "megaton-range" output. So I more or less consider them a wash - output vs number of mounts.

So the answer based on "canon" stats is "not enough data. The answer based on my person feels is that it fits in with early WarShips just fine. Late-model SLDF WarShips could probably wipe the floor with them; by equating Battletech NGausses with B5 Mass Drivers (Mass Drivers between franchises are NOT the same), I call the Farragut from BattleTech more or less the same as a Centauri Primus-class. And a Primus can take on 2 Omegas without a ton of worry...
>>
>>43812071

They don't.

You have Semi-Guided LRMs, or you have Artemis LRMs.

You can't have Semi-Guided Artemis LRMs.

You can fire Semi-Guided ammo from a launcher equipped with Artemis, but it's still only getting the Semi-Guided bonuses, not the Artemis ones as well.
>>
File: typical drac schoolgirl.jpg (90 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
typical drac schoolgirl.jpg
90 KB, 1024x768
Aside from the implied superiority of Taurian education, what are schools like in other parts of the IS?
>>
>>43812071
They don't.
>>
File: Whore+school.jpg (64 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
Whore+school.jpg
64 KB, 640x960
>>43812212

Clearly the MoC's education focus, amirite?
>>
>>43812201
>>43812234
Lame
>>
>>43812271
Passed through there on my honeymoon, no wonder everyone seemed so happy.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.