[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>siding with Chaos over Law >ever Do you respect a murderer's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: 1448248424060.jpg (34 KB, 291x400) Image search: [Google]
1448248424060.jpg
34 KB, 291x400
>siding with Chaos over Law
>ever
Do you respect a murderer's freedom to murder?
It is possible for a lawful society to have a decent quality of life throughout, various protected human rights, and a consistent way to resolve disputes. It's not slavery because you can leave, you can vote, and you can run for office. All civilized beings recognize that morality does not begin and end with "but I wanna".
Everyone being brainwashed and identical is only one way the cosmic ideal of Law can manifest, but having no laws at all? That's always just kill or be killed, and the only people who want that are the ones who naively assume they'd be on top of the food chain.
>>
>>43794039
>siding with law
>siding with chaos
This isn't good vs evil where one side is objectively better than the other. Both law and chaos need to be taken in moderate amounts and not go overboard, or things go to shit. Too much law? Stagnation, restriction, burecracy. Too much chaos? Lawlessness, incohate knowledgekeeping, general craziness.

Laws are a means to an end, just as innovation, freedom and freethinking is.

You shouldn't side with law or chaos, any more than you should side with time or space or art or science.

Use them, but remember that they aren't something of themselves, they're goddamn tools.
>>
File: justice.jpg (63 KB, 435x652) Image search: [Google]
justice.jpg
63 KB, 435x652
>>43794268
>This isn't good vs evil where one side is objectively better than the other.
Found the evildoer.
>>
>>43794039
> thinking D&D alignment system ever worked
> 2015
>>
>>43794355
I don't get it. Who have you found and why is he evil?
>>
>>43794039
> Do you respect a murderer's freedom to murder?
Nice loaded question. Nope. Basically, "Chaotic" as an alignment means you put emphasis on individuals, not their stature. That you shun traditions. That you respect individual values. A chaotic society would exile such an individual. A benevolent, chaotic society would also spread the word to other communities.

> It is possible for a lawful society to have a decent quality of life throughout, various protected human rights, and a consistent way to resolve disputes.
This has no worth at all as a comment. While there's such a possibility, it also allows a structure to exist to be taken over.

> It's not slavery because you can leave, you can vote, and you can run for office.
The vote is an illusion to keep ruling parties in place. You cannot leave because to even function you need strong links between individuals that is enforced by threats of violence (serfs, debts or whatever else), and running for office doesn't necessarily give you the power to change anything (even if you get elected). And that presumes the existence of an election.

> All civilized beings recognize that morality does not begin and end with "but I wanna".
Including those in chaotic societies.

> Everyone being brainwashed and identical is only one way the cosmic ideal of Law can manifest, ...
The others being?

but having no laws at all? That's always just kill or be killed, and the only people who want that are the ones who naively assume they'd be on top of the food chain.
That's the unimaginative Chaotic Evil thing. I see worlds being driven by individuals with vision and empathy, where every individual can choose to work on what he feels important.

How does it feel to be sent to war by individuals elected by less than 33% of the electorate?
>>
>>43794735
Meant to be:

> but having no laws at all? That's always just kill or be killed, and the only people who want that are the ones who naively assume they'd be on top of the food chain.
That's the unimaginative Chaotic Evil thing. I see worlds being driven by individuals with vision and empathy, where every individual can choose to work on what he feels important.

How does it feel to be sent to war by individuals elected by less than 33% of the electorate?
>>
File: Deadlock1.jpg (61 KB, 366x640) Image search: [Google]
Deadlock1.jpg
61 KB, 366x640
>not siding with Chaos
>>
File: 1444342476100.png (41 KB, 171x229) Image search: [Google]
1444342476100.png
41 KB, 171x229
>>43794511
>thinking concepts of Law and Chaos exist solely as D&D alignments
>one thousand plus five hundred plus four hundred plus one hundred and ten plus six minus one
>>
>>43794039
>>43794268
>>43794511

Clearly we need an alternate perspective on this debate if we're to get anything out of it.
>>
>>43794268
>not siding with GLORIOUS SCIENCE

It's like you want the Sidhe to win.
>>
>>43794039
> wanting to live in 100% geometric world, cold, logical, with no feelings, where you can't even think outside the laws.
No thanks.
>>
>>43794735

Trump it up all you want Chaoticfag. The fact that Chaotic factions are always iffy at best unless followed by the "Good" attribute immediately after shows how shitty Chaotic alignment is.

You don't have this problem with Neutral or Lawful types. Even Lawful Evil is better than most Chaotic X aligned characters.
>>
>>43794039
But murdering someone is about the MOST lawful thing you can do to them. Think about it: you force them to abide by the rules of death for the rest of eternity, removing their free will from the equation absolutely. Chaotic aligned people would come up with much more creative punishments.
>>
>>43797733

But wanton murder is almost universally against the law, everywhere. Even in places where murder is sanctioned.

And Death is Neutral or even Chaotic. Making people abide by a non-Lawful being's laws isn't lawful. That's like saying bandits and pirates are lawful since they have their own code of ethics.
>>
File: 2000px-Sacred-Chao.svg[1].png (215 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Sacred-Chao.svg[1].png
215 KB, 2000x2000
>>43794039
>buying into the law/chaos dichotomous jew
>>
Neutralfag here tellin' all y'all fuckers that you need Laozi.
>>
>>43797787
>posts neutral image
>>
>>43797859
The funniest thing is that in D&D Discordianism would be chaotic good (favors positivity over negativity and works against whichever is currently winning between law and chaos).
>>
>>43794039
>Do you respect a murderer's freedom to murder?
Yes. They should also respect my freedom to murder them before they murder me.
>>
File: Not Mastema.jpg (54 KB, 479x288) Image search: [Google]
Not Mastema.jpg
54 KB, 479x288
>>43794039
This certainly seems like a reasonable point of view.
>>
>>43794039
Chaos is the driving force behind creation. It is growth, change, and progress. You would have to be autistic to actually want to side with literal stagnation.
>>
>>43794039
>>43794039
I actually played a campaign as a Lawful Evil Paladin of Asmodeus.

His entire code followed around mediating contracts to the letter, and bringing swift justice with his Gladius to the fuckers who renegged on them.

I even was able to kill a Noble who had serfs, because they had no written contracts with each serf.

Then I drew up a contract, got the serfs to sign it.

Failure to sign means they have been squatting on the land he has gained by Right of Conquest. Male squatters are to be slain on sight, Women are the Men's property, and are won via Right of Conquest. The Boys are raised to adulthood, then given the choice their fathers' were.

Suprisingly, that Holding became more profitable then the rest of Ebberon...
>>
>>43800185
But nothing ever actually comes of chaos.
>>
File: Law would never lie.jpg (81 KB, 527x576) Image search: [Google]
Law would never lie.jpg
81 KB, 527x576
>>43794039
Hehehehe good goyim, trust in the lord and the faithful shall be rewarded!
>>
>Everyone being brainwashed and identical is only one way the cosmic ideal of Law can manifest, but having no laws at all? That's always just kill or be killed, and the only people who want that are the ones who naively assume they'd be on top of the food chain.

And complete anarchy is not the only way the cosmic ideal of Chaos can manifest. Get off your high horse and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>43795704
If the Sidhe are capable of feats beyond science like immortality without downsides and being beyond the limitations of physicality, and the consequences can be trusted to be beneficial to us (insert obvious mention of >trusting an elf) then there's no reason not to side with anything instead of taking the best of all worlds.

Being ruled by your tools and slaves of ultimately impassionate, ruthless AI overlords is not really more appealing than being ruled by the Sidhe.
both could be pretty hot
>>
>>43802418
Nothing ever comes of law, either. Both need something else to actually mean anything.

Laws create their own complexity, anyway, and chaos is never without some underlying rules, even if it's only "random things happen". It's a stupid dichotomy.
>>
>>43800416
Hands above the table, please
>>
>>43794039
>Do you respect a murderer's freedom to murder?

No, and that is why I side with chaos. A chaotic society allows me to take things into my own hands and kick the shit out of the murderer before he can murder again.

Chaos does not automatically mean that it is kill or be killed.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.