[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, i'm a newfag who have only played D&D. i want to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_mayphz8YO11rfya4zo1_500.jpg (101 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mayphz8YO11rfya4zo1_500.jpg
101 KB, 500x369
So, i'm a newfag who have only played D&D. i want to be GM but don't want to narrate d&d cuz it appears very difficult. any easier rpg to play?
>>
>>43791873
>tumblr
>only played D&D
>requesting an easy/easier rpg

You tried to hard/10
>>
>>43791886
>Impliying i didn't get the img of google sereach
>>
Have you tried 5e? I find it to be pretty easy to run.
>>
>>43792011
No, i haven't what's the difference between that an 3,5?
>>
>>43792046

5e streamlines a lot of 3.5's rules, brings the classes much closer together in power level, and gives the GM a lot more latitude to say what checks need to happen for certain actions without any of your rules-lawyer players being able to "uh actually" all over the place. The only real downside it has is a relatively lower number of class options compared to 3.5, but there are still plenty, and the class/specialization structure makes it so that homebrewers don't need to make a whole new class if their idea fits into one of the broad archetypes represented by the available classes.
>>
Yeah, pick literally any system at random and it is 90% likely to be easier than D&D.
>>
>>43791873
Savage Worlds
>>
File: EveryoneIsJohn.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
EveryoneIsJohn.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43791873

D&D really is kind of a pain in the ass. Basic D&D is pretty good, and 5e isn't terrible in that department, but there's plenty of easier games to run.
PDF related. If you can't have a great time with this, something's wrong.
>>
>>43791873
D&D 5E Starter Set is very easy to run.
>>
OP here. thanks, and if i want the adventure to go like pirates and sea style, it's still the basic system good?

>>43792510
That John game seems hillarious
>>
>>43792672
Basic is meant for dungeon runs and so on.

If you want to try an easy game, try Dungeon World, the players will write half the story for you. Search it on Google for the free pdf.
>>
>>43792672
Different Anon, but I recommend that if you run John, make sure everyone actually talks to John.
A lot of first time players make the mistake, of acting like they are John, when they're in control, but generally it tends to be a lot more fun if everyone is in fact just a voice, especially because then they (at least in my games) end up arguing over the most ridiculous stuff.
>>
>>43796253
Haven't thought on that, but sounds pretty logic
>>
>>43792672
DnD is best geared towards dungeon crawls where you can expect to see at least a half dozen battles in an adventuring day. Swashbuckling doesn't always lend itself to that. You may be better served with a different system.

That said, 5e is built to very approachable to new comers, so you should be fine if you just want to run some DnD. You can give the 5e Basic Rules a look. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

One of the easiest RPG's is Risus, which lends itself well to one-off 'Beer and Pretzel' type games. Maybe play that with your friends a few times to get comfortable with the idea of playing pretend before turning to denser systems.

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm
>>
>>43791873

Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition.
>>
>>43799154
That risus seems simple enough to understand
>>
>>43791873
5e as some anons have suggested. it's very user friendly, though the spell slots take a bit to get used to. However, it's very easy to play rules light and still have plenty of fun.
>>
>>43792672
If you really want to do pirates, I'd go for a system that really supports it instead of trying to tack it onto D&D. It just seems like it would be awkward, especially if you're trying to jerry rig systems for ship to ship combat and whatnot.
>>
>>43791873
FATE Freeport
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.