[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fudged a fatal damage roll yesterday because I didn't feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
Fudged a fatal damage roll yesterday because I didn't feel like dealing with the drama of character death. Feels kinda weird~ Anyone else have a player or two that gets really accusatory of you when there characters die?

Also DM PDF share thread. Looking for Dungeon Dozen myself.
>>
>>43789191
>Giving a fuck about character death
>Ever
I never understand those people. Just get out spare sheet and make new char.
>>
>>43789191
Nop, but then again we play Shadowrun.

They'd probably wonder WTF I was doing if al their charcters make it to the end of the campaign.
>>
>>43789203
> not getting invested and immersed in the character you've played.
>>
>>43789191
You're soft. Too soft. Softer than the softest sofa at soft sofa store.
>>
File: bait_HighDef.jpg (272 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bait_HighDef.jpg
272 KB, 1920x1080
>>43789203
I don't have any "sneaky bait" pics.
Kinda ashamed of myself.
>>
>>43789230
Getting immersed doesn't mean you must or should care about character.
Do you even Paranoia?

>>43789238
Yes, because everyone not playing D&D, probably the only game that continously gives fuck about PCs, is obviously baiting
>>
>>43789230
>there can't be any risk of loss
>everything must be rainbows and sunshines
>muh feelings
Only thing worse than meeting this sort of people at the gaming table is meeting it in real life. Nice times only last so long. Things get broken and people die, deal with it.
>>
>>43789230
I guess you would have a really hard time playing Call of Cthulhu.
>>
File: bait_Anime.png (91 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bait_Anime.png
91 KB, 800x600
>>43789270
Try harder desu senpai
>>
File: 19789999.jpg (105 KB, 400x345) Image search: [Google]
19789999.jpg
105 KB, 400x345
>>43789301
>B-but he must be baiting
>>
>>43789270

>WHY ISN'T EVERYONE ME
>>
File: wew lad.jpg (61 KB, 800x613) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
61 KB, 800x613
>>43789287
At this point, why not start posting shit like this?
It will improve your faggy posts, anyways

>>43789191
I've hade people cry and ragequit just because their character got restrained, not even killed. Some people are just like this, giant crybabies that want to "win" the game.
I am completely straightforward with character deaths. I want my players to consider me a force of nature, instead of "that guy that goves me encounters and loot."
>>
>>43789230
I hardly can see the connection between immersion and giving a shit about PC. Oh, right, you would loose all those levels and epic gear.
That's not being invested. That's being stupid cunt doing it all for the numbers
>>
File: bait_Abstract.png (141 KB, 950x750) Image search: [Google]
bait_Abstract.png
141 KB, 950x750
>>43789313
That's not what trying means, onii-chan
>>
>>43789331
That's exactly the question you should ask yourself
>>
>>43789270
Caring about characters in the world, especially your own, is a pretty big prerequisite to enjoying a game for most people. I'm not going to spend hours a week following the adventures of people I literally couldn't care less about, that'd be pointless.
>>
>>43789344
>having an emotional investment in the characters/story is 'doing it all for the numbers'

I know you're probably baiting, but look in the mirror dude. The people who don't care about their characters as anything other than a means with which to affect the game world are the ones being gamey, not vice versa.

But you already knew that.
>>
File: who.png (2 KB, 301x127) Image search: [Google]
who.png
2 KB, 301x127
>>43789354
>Caring about characters in the world, especially your own, is a pretty big prerequisite to enjoying a game for most people
Most of what people? The ones you know? I don't know a single person who cares if their characters make it or not. Then again, I'm not playing with kids that can only have fun when everything goes rainbow and sunshine. Then again, such people don't play games where it's easy to die at least once per hour of gameplay.

Seriously, you are making the point about low survival rate = no fun. What the fuck?! Then what about Paranoia? CoC? Shadowrun? Cyberpunk? Witcher? Later editions of Warhammer?
>>
>>43789191
>Anyone else have a player or two that gets really accusatory of you when there characters die?

I find it's a function of people's irritability in general. The people who get pissed over character deaths, are the same people who get pissed over receiving 1 damage.

Though, it depends on the situation. Getting a character you love ripped away because of something you couldn't have avoided is shit, basically. Almost happened to me when the DM suddenly scaled up difficulty, and I have to admit it pissed me off. One day we're fighting easily defeated enemy's, the next we're getting half our HP knocked off in one hit by highwaymen with magical weapons. It wasn't a bad call to make things more difficult for us, but the unexpectedness almost fucked us.
>>
>>43789350
>not captioned "It's an abstract kind of bait"
3/10 no effort
>>
>>43789371
The people who don't care about their characters as anything other than a means with which to affect the game world are the ones being gamey, not vice versa.
Dafuq I've just read?

Mate, what systems are you playing. Seriously. Name the games you play. Because I didn't heard such bullshit since I've last time run into Pathfinder lunatic babbling something about epickness being required to have fun at all.
>>
>>43789191
I have never had such kind of players, luckily for me, but I fudged a number of fatal rolls in my DM career. It is one of your prerogatives, although you shouldn't abuse it. Sometimes you just don't want a character, expecially a good one, die already in an anticlimatic situation and for nothing else than unpredictable bad luck.

On the other hand:
As a DM, I would really hate if my players weren't interested at all in their characters and didn't care for their deaths. It means they're not very much involved in the game and that's a bad signal. I don't think anyone would want the equivalent of The Gamers 2's Bard in their game.
At the same time a player that can't accept their character's death is just acting immaturely.
Good players care for their characters and wouldn't want anything bad happening to them, but when it happens, they accept it as a part of the game, enjoy it for its importance in the story they're part of, and accepts it.
>>
>>43789354
>I never played anything else but high-level heroic fantasy
It shows
>>
File: bait_DidNothingWrong.png (64 KB, 800x488) Image search: [Google]
bait_DidNothingWrong.png
64 KB, 800x488
>>43789422
Are you even trying at this point?
>>
>>43789228
>playing a contiuous story with different characters

How the fuck does this even work?
>>
>>43789191
dumb animeposter
>>
>>43789191
Their* characters you illiterate faggot.

Read a fucking book.
>>
>>43789521
I would assume a new character comes in, learns the situation, gets involved and then when his seniors dies he's the guy who talks to the new characters. Seems kind of contrived imo though
>>
>>43789529
>hating on 2hus
>>
>>43789529
>>43789549
All I wanted were some PDF's ;_;
>>
>>43789622
Look, I'm a fucking Eastern European living in a post-communist shithole and I know to spell english words better than you.

Become an hero.
>>
>>43789566
Yeah. To me, it seems hard to keep a good narrative going when the characters are constantly changing. And as a player, it seems bothersome to keep changing up your attitudes to said campaign, and trying not to metagame with your prior knowledge.
>>
File: earthbound_vs_chinese_cartoons.gif (55 KB, 578x152) Image search: [Google]
earthbound_vs_chinese_cartoons.gif
55 KB, 578x152
>>43789622
Don't worry anon.

I, for once, will give you sympathy for your fondness for chinese cartoons.
>>
>>43789635
>Eastern European living in a post-communist shithole
Is there some other kind of Eastern Europeans?
>>
>>43789422
So why are you playing if you have no investment in the story you're telling, no emotional connection to the characters and no interest in trying to stay alive, which is usually a goal in most games?

Like I'm not gonna throw a fit if I get killed, them's the breaks, but I /am/ going to feel genuinely sad or upset that a character I've been following for X amount of sessions and invested a whole load of time and effort and thinking into is gone forever.

I don't really see how actually caring about the story or characters to the point of emotional investment is a bad mindset to have - again, if you don't care, there are untold other things you could be doing that would be more enjoyable since, you know, you'd actually give a fuck what happens? Apathy does not translate into enjoyment.
>>
>>43789702
>What is Austria?
>>
>>43789702
Those places are rapidly beginning to look better, with their complete lack of Muslim population, and their complete disregard of political correctness.
>>
>>43789684
It would work better if the story was generally "to save the world" or some bullshit. A situation where new characters could learn about the threat to themselves and immediatly be invested.
I don't see why a Shadowrun character would get involved in some large plot willingly. It seems like that's the sort of thing a shadowrunner would want to avoid. And a "save the world" SR campaign would be terrible.
>>
File: bait_posting.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
bait_posting.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>43789717
So what's the next step on your masterful posting?
>>
>>43789733
Not included in most definitions of "Eastern Europe"?
>>
>>43789702
The ones who migrated
>>
>>43789733
A nation that keeps making Germany look bad
>>
>>43789742
It's also about party cohesion and stuff. A high turnover rate is going to mess up party dynamics, because you're constantly having guys with no history with the party running in. No distinctive party culture can arise, and good party interaction is 50% of the game.
>>
>>43789191
I get pissed when my character doesn't die because of something really stupid I did.

A game with no consequence is a shit game.

Just the other day.

>Out of position, rogue basically one shotted -8hp.
>Cleric heals, jerk violently awake.
>Jump back up, creature still in front of me
> "The creature moves to deal with a more immediate threat"

I mean seriously? I've literally been doing stupid shit for 4 sessions trying to get the GM to instate some consequences. Absolutely nothing.
>>
>>43789191
Well, I go to extreme. PC in my game simlpy won't die. Well, they could die, but only in dramatic, important way.
Instead, they got defeated. They got captured, locked up in a prison, left for dead in the middle of the hostile planet/cursed forest, forced to do suicidal missions for a local crime family and so on. They see allies defeated, home village slaughtered, wars lost and treasure and glory stolen by the others. They see the world react on they failure.
No, they won't die. But it won't make defeat any better.
>>
>>43789754
Identifying bait, that's the easy part.
Resisting the urge to fight stupidity wherever it rears its ugly head, that's the true test.
>>
>>43789230
you got it right mate!
>>
>>43789191
I had a player once.... well she was very new and not very bright too and joined the party during the fourth session. All friends, no strangers in my group, I am not able to deal with them. As of the sixth session, they went checking some sewers looking for clues about stuff, yadda yadda, when I present them with a room not unlike the one qith the asylum demon in dark souls. Most of them realize quickly that the central part of the floor is going to collapse and safely make it to the other side, to a staircase leading to the room in which they would have fallen if they were careless. At this point I am describing every kind of noise from the room, and all the party members start discussing the situation. Except new player, whose cleric, a frail, wounded cleric in light armor, straight up enters the room. No peeking, no Perception nor Investigation, not even discussing it with the party. So the hook horror hidden in the room surprises her and cuts her down, rolling an average damage that wpuld have killed her anyway. Well I cheated and left her at 1 hp, stunned and shoved against a wall, with the rest of the party busy fighting the monster. I know it was her fault alone, and that 0 hit points are not a sentence of death, even with low Con, but somehow I didn't have the guts. I kind of felt bad, but would have I felt better killing her? I honestly don't know.
>>
Death is completely overrated. You can have a really good story and a great campaign without the threat of death ever being present, at all.

The whole concept of death in roleplaying games usually goes back to its gamist roots. Miniature wargames and such. If you don't play the game well, your character dies; that makes perfect sense from the gameplay perspective, since there needs to be some consequences to seperate the goodies from the baddies and to make sure everyone stays focused in the game.

Of course, death can have other functions as well. In (most) horror games, it needs to be a possibility for things to actually be scary. And it can serve a story function as well, to make some great in-character drama, but in those case it's better to sort of pre-negotiate the matter of your character's death with the GM in advance.

But in my experiences, the possibility of character death usually actively serves to hinder roleplaying. The possibility of character death is what builds you towards making the same kind of a character every time to ensure they have as high survivability as possible. If a death does happen, you have to throw all the character development, party dynamics, etc you had into the rubbish.

And I've never been in a group that can react to a PC death properly in-character. Nobody wants to roleplay being broody and mopey and sad over a friend/brother/whatever dying. So it's kind of ignored with a shrug, which hurts immersion plenty.
>>
I like it when characters die.
>>
>>43791007
>>43791112
the fucking stark difference between these two posts. 10/10 comedy
>>
>>43789862
>I've spent the last four sessions being passive-aggressive and I still haven't gotten what I want

That's weird. Are you sure you haven't let anyone else know what you want?
>>
>>43791007
>Death is completely overrated. You can have a really good story and a great campaign without the threat of death ever being present, at all.

Maybe for rule light systems but if there are "complex" combat rules, the threat of death is very necessary to it. Without that threat there is no point in playing out combat, you might as well just say what happens and move on.
>>
Mostly I don't like it when a character dies prematurely when it doesn't fit the story. If it happens then it happens, but I like to die in pursuit of my goal, not to a ghoul I found while traveling the country side.

In Sci-fi it is much the same way. Dying in the barroom suit out rather than fighting the syndicate.

Again, sometimes it happens, but I prefer to have my death have story significance beyond one less person being there. I want to die for a reason.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.