[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dungeons the Dragoning General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: Logo40003[1].png (254 KB, 788x317) Image search: [Google]
Logo40003[1].png
254 KB, 788x317
Breaking it in half edition

>>43760857
So, yeah.
>>
>>43788471
you know what this game needs?

basic introductory modules for characters to play to get the hang of everything...
>>
so, I now have this question having glossed the books to be sure it's not in there.

where are the drones?

like ship-board servitors for maintenance(thinking of Tobias Maxilla from Eisenhorn trilogy; also, you don't need to pay a servitor)

or fire and forget combat servitors?
something for someone to activate, open the cages, and escape while the drones fight and die?

or little spy-eyes that crawl into place?

or faithful doberman-drones that work in high danger search and rescue?

I like robuts, even magically powered robuts. but this game has none, yet.
>>
>>43790193
what drones are we talking about?
>>
>>43790249
I don't want full shadowrun, but something like how 40k handles them.

servitors, some androids for PR jobs, anthroform to fit certain tasks, automatic forklifts, that sort of thing. bigger than a breadbox smaller than a motorcycle.

this is a magitek setting, so I wouldn't expect them to be too tech-heavy...
>>
>>43790294
are you asking to make up something and calling them drones? because combat servitors exist as an add-on for spelljammers, as well as combat and industrial servitors listed right in the dramatis personae, ripped straight out if 40k.
>>
>>43790406
>dramatis personae,
oh, I was looking under equipment and vehicles...

well, shit

>add-on for spelljammers,
book 2 or 3?

mostly I was asking because I want for there to be more to play with as one of these.
http://s4.zetaboards.com/LawfulNice/topic/10335258/1/
than just vehicles...

I always have liked "Builder" classes in games especially since the rigger class grants big crafting speed increases(crafting time being a particular thorn in my urethra in most of the game systems that HAVE crafting mechanics)
>>
>>43788471
>>43760857
Breaking this game is surprisingly easy. I once made, I think, a Kobold Vampire character who was getting 40s on wealth rolls from character creation without even trying

Also, with the rules for Nephalim, you don't get adversely affected by Psychic Phenomenon, but you can still cast at the pushed level as much as you want. Couple this with the Warlock Class and you can get 11k10 on spellcasting from char creation with no risks
>>
>>43790541
spelljammer murder servitors are in book2 under tactical consoles. p127
>>
>>43790560
>consistently getting 40s on at most 5d10
what exactly did you do?
>>
>>43790717
7d10, not 5, plus the vampire feat that gives you +10 on wealth roles, + the kobold feat that reduces the TN by 5 (basically a +5 bonus)
>>
>>43790717
>>43791032
Never mind, I just now realized that backgrounds max out at 5, and that our group was cheating this entire time.

oops.

Ironically, average on 5 with a d10 plus those bonuses still get an average of 40 on wealth rolls
>>
since this game is only available in hardback to people with money enough to bribe a printer I have this question.

what GM resources to we have? like printable GM-screen inserts, minion tracker sheets, rules truncation/summary sheets, exalt/race/sphere quick-reference cards/sheets, maps, markers, etc.

this is just to eliminate the need to go flipping through a .pdf file every time you need something(a time-sink at any table).
>>
>>43792551
one anon posted a series of GM screen inserts/player cheat sheets a while back. I can post them up after work if no one else has them. I think they were in a google drive or something
>>
File: screendmleft.png (201 KB, 1017x747) Image search: [Google]
screendmleft.png
201 KB, 1017x747
>>43792551
>>43792889

As I have been summoned, so do I provide.
>>
File: screenDMcenter.png (237 KB, 1017x747) Image search: [Google]
screenDMcenter.png
237 KB, 1017x747
>>43793661

Are these something people would want me to throw out whenever we have these occasional revival threads?
>>
>>43793680
They're super handy imo.
>>
>>43793680
probably. though I wonder if they're up to date with book 3...or do we really care so much about that?
>>
File: screendmright.png (167 KB, 1017x747) Image search: [Google]
screendmright.png
167 KB, 1017x747
>>43793680

Shit, I just noticed that I need to update Parry and Dodge to be "Half the result added to your static defenses" and not "Lol good luck hitting me, I'm behind 5 reaction actions"
>>
>>43793705

All right. I used to throw them out every time that somebody would mention D:tD, but I was worried I'm getting too 'please notice me' about it.

>>43793714

What'd Book 3 do? I haven't really looked at it that hard. Most of the material there I'm kind of touchy around, as some of it's too much of 'I really want to play a this' instead of three or four things properly smashed together. Some of it I like and okay with, but a lot of it is 'eh, sell me on your concept before we go any further'
>>
So what is this game? It looks awesome
>>
>>43793809
this game is made of awesome.

read page 5 of the core book, then tap the page down key rapidly till something catches your eye...

>>43793808
>'eh, sell me on your concept before we go any further'
the extra races and most of the extra exalts I agree should contain more source mixing. the swords schools, gun katas, classes, and equipment all seems pretty okay to me for the most part.
>>
>>43793809

PDFs here; It's best described as the most beautiful mashup trainwreck of a lot of systems, concepts, and blatant plagarism and stealing.

http://lawfulnice.blogspot.de/

I enjoy it, even though I'll never actually get to be the player in a game of it.
>>
>>43793714
>>43793808
Book 3 is entirely homebrew and likely to be changed at the drop of a hat.

It's also more about races, exaltations and sword schools/gun kata than anything really new. The core rules themselves are pretty much untouched.
>>
File: newscreenDMcenter.png (237 KB, 1017x747) Image search: [Google]
newscreenDMcenter.png
237 KB, 1017x747
>>43793680
>>43793729

Because fuck it, I"m not doing anything important today.
>no right side screen, i still won't find something to put on you.
>>
>>43793993
>no right side screen, i still won't find something to put on you.
perhaps a summary of sword schools/gun katas and how they work?
>>
>>43794058

No, too wordy. There's a reason a lot of actions are 'see pages X'. I suppose I should go back some time and make sure that they still have the correct numbers.

Oh hey! Crit damage summary/Shock/Fear chart could go there. I'll put that on my list of things to do.

>No really
>Stop looking at me like that.
>>
>>43794270
the Basics of assembling a technique is what I meant...but your idea also works

and maybe putting this in a .pdf format so it's nice and printer friendly might be nice...
>>
To those breaking the game I think I understand something, it's a game intended to be played with a level of trust between the players and gm, and games that make themselves harder to break slowly erode that trust and by extension the fun to be had
>>
>>43794312

I made this all in inkscape a few years ago, so I'm not really sure how that's gonna work. On the plus side, it's all transparent, you'll only be printing the lines and text, not burning off a ton of ink printing white everywhere.
>>
>>43794312
that's something that should be dealt with between sessions or during downtime in a game, when you can stand to reference a book. if you need to reference the rules for it on the fly you're oing something wrong.
>>
>>43794377
>you're oing something wrong.
oh, I thought techniques were strung together on the spot...
>>
To those breaking the game I think I understand something, it's a game intended to be played with a level of trust between the players and gm, and games that make themselves harder to break slowly erode that trust and by extension the fun to be had
>>
>>43794332

I'd agree with this to a level. When I've attempted to run games, I've always included the caveat that I reserve the right to request/force changes if somebody goes super duper zerker combat mode and nobody else does. The one game i had that made me change this was a guy playing a human paragon monk, so he was near max dex/brawl/wis at character creation, and was repeatedly dodging/parrying things that would be just liquifying every other member of the party.

For better and worse though, punching things got a heavy nerf in 1.6, so dexterity master race mountain-puncher is not longer the optimal melee build.
>>
>>43794399
what, no. every new technique has an exp cost for a reason
>>
>>43794401
Didn't mean to repost
>>
>>43794399

no, they put techniques together and then spend exp to learn it. They just get a number of style points based on level, things that they can spend it on based on mastery of sword schools/gun kata, and then you spend the total style point cost in exp.
>>
can you combine elements of different sword schools or gun katas provided you have some skill in the 2?
>>
>>43794908

You can mix a gun kata together, and sword schools together, but you can't do a sword school and a gun kata move in the same special attack.
>>
>>43795517
so I can invest in the basics of a sword school for which I like the weapon option, and master a different school for the technique and fluff.

this is good in my eyes...
>>
>>43795691

Yes, if you were to master say, desert wind, and then spend the experience to start at level 1 in Iron Heart, you can now use ordinary weapons with special attacks, and as you level Iron Heart, you could put Blistering Flourish from Desert Wind and Steel Wind from the Iron Heart school at the same time.

Special attacks get exponentially wacky as you get to high levels in D:tD
>>
Anyone willing to run a game on roll20? I really want to play this but my group already has D&D 5e, Fallout PnP and possibly a JoJo homebrew up and running or soon to start...
>>
Here's the google drive link. Has all of the books and some other resources. I updated it so it now has the new SM Screen.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8z4Cy1zaGU1bnJMaDE4WDZZUlk&usp=sharing
>>
File: roll and keep probability.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
roll and keep probability.pdf
1 B, 486x500
something that I picked up in a DtD thread once upon a time while we're providing random resources.
>>
File: Gangs__Drugs_and_a_Kidnapping.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Gangs__Drugs_and_a_Kidnapping.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43789087
someone provided this as a doc once upon a time. I have converted it to a pdf for ease of 4chan.
>>
>>43800625
>dat math
thats some sexy data right there...
by chance you know the formula they used for that?

>>43800676
is that some sample modules to run?
>>
Found a DtD dice roller. Might come in handy for some people.

http://embed.plnkr.co/hUPDlz/preview
>>
>>43800880
It was posted on the forums a while back, and yes, it is a sample module.
>>
Can I get a list of some popular premade adventures from different RPGs? I want to see what happens when you mash them up to make a DtD premade adventure.
>>
>>43801214
well, there's Food Fight from shadowrun, and that one runs as a starter mission.
a larger module for shadowrun would be the Renraku Arcology Shutdown.

I'll look at my other quest repositories.
>>
>>43801214
The Haarlock Trilogy from Dark Heresy.
>>
>>43801444
Trips cannot lie!
>>
>>43800625
This tool is pretty handy if you want to see exact probabilities and stuff:
http://lynks.se/probability/

It''s meant for L5R but it's got exploding dice and roll-and-keep so whatever.
>>
>>43801444
>>43801214
if you want I can put the harlock trilogy in a google drive along with the renraku arcology shutdown book.
>>
>>43801214
There is also Tomb of Horror, Temple of Elemental Evil, the old GDQ series, and Isle of Dread modules from D&D. For Rogue Trader there is the Warpstorm Trilogy. There are many many more, but those come up first in my mind.
>>
>>43805344
Throw in the original Ravenloft module for AD&D as well. I see a story coming together.
>>
>>43805734
sorry bro all I got is that at this time
>>
>>43805734
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8fRPie_XBHnTmtOQUhxQlpTeEE&usp=sharing
>>
>>43805744
That's alright. I think I can make a plot out of all of these unrelated stories. We'll call it the Clusterfuck Trilogy.
>>
>>43805755
something wonky with the link for harlock 3; it's never given me issues before

>>43805760
>Clusterfuck Trilogy.
this name...I like it.

clusterfuck is a good name too. like Captain Jackson Andrew "Jackass" Clusterfuck of the HMS Flusterkek
>>
are there rules for the addition of modules to or modification of vehicles as yet?

like if a high tech-use player wanted to add a Nitrous system to his moped or upgrade the afterburners in his drop-pod
>>
>>43806194
book 2 p97
>>
>>43806334
gracious thanks.

I skipped that little paragraph as part of the vehicle buying step.
>>
>>43799907
the colour coded character sheet has a typo...look at the "finesse" sttribute

>I updated it so it now has the new SM Screen.
did you? what I'm seeing seems to not even have the blurb about magic or the spellcasting table seen in >>43793661
>>
>>43806730
I'll correct the character sheet when I have the chance.

As for the SM screen, I only updated one of them. Whoops. Adding the other one later.
>>
File: quest idea.png (547 KB, 1165x2286) Image search: [Google]
quest idea.png
547 KB, 1165x2286
>>43805760
while you're building quest modules I'd suggest you read the accounting of Shane the Shy

except replacing countries with planets or entire crystal spheres...

I'd play the SHIT out of that game.
>>
how would you justify a warforged promethean?
>>
>>43810167
I wouldn't. warforged is a really unnecessary race that doesn't really fit the rest of the game
>>
>>43810167
Well the material assets help, since they aren't really something warforged bodies would have access to. Other than that, an emphasis on the more physical nature of a promethean. Warforged are mostly AI, for whom the physical body isn't super important, and can be swapped if damaged, but the promethean's body is important because of his reactor.
>>
>>43810211
>unnecessary race that doesn't really fit the rest of the game
why?

I ask this with little intent to ever play one, just idle curiosity. they seem well written enough in the current edition of book 3.
looking through the races listed in the books I'd probably pick arachne either flavor of gith or maybe the kenku; I like buildy characters.

>>43810470
yes, but my question was meant more as "who would go to the expense of making one, and why?" as a thematic question.
>>
>>43810567
Ah, well, in that case:
>Some scientist believes they are the next natural step in Warforged evolution
>Different scientist attempts to prove that prometheans are totaly mass-producable (Hah)
>Someone tries to enslave a warforged by tieing them to the reactor.
>A warforged accidently downloaded themselves into a body someone else was making, which adapted to them and locked them into it.
>>
>>43807120
10/10 woyld play.
>>
>>43810797
the issue I have is how I'd run it. and the filler quests for the beginning.

as a ForeverGM I'd have do it just right or fail spectacularly.

and this would be an even harder thing to run in D;tD because there would be more vectors for escape and survival...
>>
>>43810882
That would just make the win more palpable to the players.
>>
>>43811959
they'd have to find ways to stop him from escaping into the umbra, teleporting, running, driving, flying, escape-podding, tunneling, etc.

AND he could put up some far more fierce defenses.

I could make him an exalt and max out his escape potential with class levels to match the party...
>>
>>43812013
It could drive a campaign for months and keep the players on their toes, that's for certain!
>>
>>43812229
yeah, but I always worry I'm not creative enough to give them what they want.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.