[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favourite villain archetype(s) to use /tg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Nosferatu-6.jpg (61 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
Nosferatu-6.jpg
61 KB, 720x540
What's your favourite villain archetype(s) to use /tg/?

What's your favourite villain you or someone you know used in a game?

What's the best generic class for an evil aligned player character?
>>
>>43785966
>villain archetype

Gotta be the fallen hero who has become irreversibly corrupted. Maybe it's because I was very close to "falling" into some really bad shit but managed to pull myself out of it, but I both despise and completely understand that type of villain, which is why they're the best villain for me in campaigns and in media.
>>
>>43785966
I like tragic heroes. Who by their own desire to do good fall down a path of damnation.
>>
File: hex.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hex.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>43785966
Criminally insane geniuses who view themselves as 'mantaining the balance" or "having fun"

The kind of person that could very well easily win, but chooses not to because that would mean the end of their games.

True Chaotic Neutral.

Pic related
>>
>>43785966
Perfectly reasonable people who have unreasonable goals that conflict with the party's.
I never get to use them because groups I end up DMing for always apparently start with NE fluid morality.

A jaguar fear demon that kept finding loopholes in his banishment clauses to come back and fuck with the party, for no other reason than they put up a good resistance while he was playing with them the first time. Used the fuck out of illusion abilities and voice throwing shenanigans. Like a less powered Mr. Mxyzptlk that liked to leave blood dripping everywhere and stalking PCs for hours on end. Eventually actually killed him (maybe).

Cleric, because unless you're a fuckwit, even crazy cultists can bro up with anybody. Preach the good word of Zuggtmoy or just pretend to be a good cleric, it's all fun.
>>
>>43785966
Ancient monsters are one of my personal favorites. There's something wonderful about facing something so utterly inhuman that you can't afford to let it win.
>>
>>43785966
>Favorite Villain Archetype
The ruler/noble/rich businessman/person of power who hires the players with no real concern for what really happens to them. The person who treats the a party like a disposable resource and sends them into dangerous situations or even blatant setups where they're there to take the fall for someone else. They don't even have to hate the party (in fact, they shouldn't), they just need to be someone who doesn't treat them like hot shit.

>Favorite Villain
Mori: The familiar to a witch player in one of my parties. Was essentially "grooming" said witch player to be a vessel for it's "queen". Totally not based on Kyubey from Madoka Magica, or the Shadow Queen from Thousand Year Door.

>Best class
Literally anything that's NOT Wizard, Anti-Paladin, or Cleric.
>>
I like villains who have an identifiable reason or motive for their actions. Tragic heroes, formerly good men thinking they are preventing a greater evil from happening, etc. Revenge is also fun-take something that has meet behind it emotionally, like The Brave One or Taken, and spiral it to where the villain is trying to take down world leaders and entire nations.

Favorite villain ran by someone I know was probably a dark jedi in a friend's Star Wars campaign. The guy was clearly insane but was trying to model himself off of other, more successful dark jedi. Eventually he got himself killed and the rest of the campaign was dealing with the consequences of his actions.

Probably a wizard or rogue for utility.
>>
>>43786410
fuck ya reboot had the best baddies!

Megabyte is my favorite villian ever.

>What's your favourite villain archetype(s) to use /tg/?

A physically intimidating, power hungry, and competent villian with far to many disposible loyal minions

>Favorite Villain
As above, Megabyte. Guy wins far too often for a kid's show villain, its awesome

>Best class
I generaly go with some sort of bard/skald. someone who can easily and logically recruit tons of disposable minions to his side without the bs summoning demons/skeletons/ect. everyone usually goes for

some sort of Bard Bandit King

but that's just like... my opinion, man
>>
>>43785966
Villains that have very little malice, but cause massive catastrophes by either through short sighted thinking, not fully comprehending just what their actions do, not realising what they're doing is wrong or just plain incompetence.

>Favorite Villain
I keep thinking of Jerry Lundergard from Fargo (Film) or Peggy Blomquist from Season 2 of the series. You kinda have to want to hit them over the head for how stupid they are but you can't help but feel sorry for him for how things just domino outside of their control. I also keep remembering Louis XVI, a good-natured yet idiotic king in the worst possible circumstances. Can't end up being a shit leader when everyone's been saying everything you do is right because of the Divine Right of Kings.

>Best class
Commoner, at least initially. I like someone inconsequential either intentionally or unintentionally making a great impact.
>>
>>43785966
>Favorite Archetype
Slavers of any kind, especially the ones who have made empires of the "industry". As a GM it's really easy to show how fucked up those characters are and make my party hate them. Somehow a long description about them beating a helpless teenage girl in rags seems to make their blood boil more than any kind of king of noble who's sent hundreds or thousands to their deaths in pointless wars of conquest or genocide.

>Favorite Villain
There are too many for me to list, but most of them tend to be really manipulative, often coming off as good guys for most of the campaign... people with lots of charisma who can fake like they care about people and win their loyalty while using them like tools. I guess if I had to give a specific example, I played a game once in a setting where mages and magic were seen as abominations of nature. The Big Bad of the campaign shared this opinion, but ended up adopting two orphans with magical potential as part of his plans to take over. He pretended to love them, to be their father... and they bought every bit of it, desperate to be loved by someone. They were willing to risk their lives to defend him, no matter the danger... In reality though, he thought they were disgusting things and was planning on killing them himself after he was done with them. It was tragic, but intense and memorable. We ended up having to fight and kill them... and just let them die without ever knowing the truth.

>Archetype
>>43786444, echoing this. If you're going to be an evil character, break the mold a little and use something different. Evil wizard/cleric cultists are cliche as fuck and overdone to the point of being monotonous. I'd also probably avoid thieves and assassins (they're far more interesting as GOOD characters or characters who WANT to be good). I'm personally a fan of Fighters or Rangers who take up the "heartless bounty hunter" theme. Lets them cooperate with party without being their enemy.
>>
>>43785966
>villain archetype
Doing it for the greater good/fallen hero
>favorite villain
Darth Vader, space Nazi samurai
>best class
I generally go for casters
>>
File: heavy berserker.jpg (35 KB, 300x492) Image search: [Google]
heavy berserker.jpg
35 KB, 300x492
>>43785966
>Archetype
The (seemingly) unstoppable force whose twisted morality or lack thereof inspires them to kill and murder without remorse. Think Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men, but no matter what you do, he keeps coming back to get in your way (even if you kill him). Only when the quest is nearly complete will you finally be able to end him for good.
>>
The FABULOUS kind.

>What's your favourite villain you or someone you know used in a game?
Probably my favorite was this impossibly hard to kill rogue. She could be dangerous in a fight but nothing supernatural, no magic or powers or anything, just really well equipped and well prepared, and terribly lucky. Multiple times we were sure we killed her, like running her through with a sword and leaving her to bleed out, pushing her down a pit in a dungeon, and burning down a building with her in it. She was always worse for the wear, and definitely showed signs of what we did to her, but she always was back again before long. That she wasn't supernaturally or magically tough, just a lucky badass normal, made it even better. Really the only thing that made her "special" was she had a pair of mundane flintlock pistols in typical medieval fantasy, so people didn't know what they were and thought they were wands or magic crossbows or something. After those two shots though, she was just good rogue.

>What's the best generic class for an evil aligned player character?
An evil fighter can always be cool. No magic fuckery, no divine favor, no dirty tricks, just sheer martial power. Evil casters can be fun if you do it right though, like they're more nefarious mustache twirling evil with wacky spells, than actually dangerous/competent casters.
>>
File: rotwang.jpg (56 KB, 600x441) Image search: [Google]
rotwang.jpg
56 KB, 600x441
>>43785966

Mad scientists are among the best villains.

BEHOLD! MEIN LATEST CREATION!!! ZEE WORLD SHALL TREMBLE BEFORE MEIN GENIUS!!! THOSE NINCOMPOOPS AT THE ACADEMY USED TO LAUGH AT ME, NOW I WILL SHOW THEM THE TRUE MEANING OF SCIENCE!
>>
>>43787053
>leaving her to bleed out
Why do people do this and not just deliver the coup de grace immediately, providing both merciful release and certainty in their enemy's death?
>>
>>43787305
To be fair, that was the first time we thought we "killed" her, so leaving her with a sword sticking out of her, and some words exchanged, was to us sensible enough a course of action. Enemies tended not to return after we put them down that hard, so the whole recurring thing happened because she actually luckily survived that, otherwise she could just have easily died like any other person and not been a recurring enemy.
>>
File: REEEEEEEEE.jpg (17 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEE.jpg
17 KB, 640x480
Either those who are absolutely batshit insane and powerful, like Luca Blight, batshit insane and flashy, like Kefka, or tragic as all fuck, like Nox. None of that grand schemer bullshit, who needs a keikaku when you can just have your goal be utter chaos?
Alternatively, literal forces of nature or the cosmos. A scorned god, an otherworldly horror of unspeakable power, the embodiment of the planet, just stuff that has to be beaten with McGuffins as opposed to brute force. Like travelling back in time to prevent the creation of the foe in question
>>
>>43786302
>Maybe it's because I was very close to "falling" into some really bad shit but managed to pull myself out of it
Greentext please, sweet anon?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.