[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted - Guardian Beast Quest #08
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 7
File: cover pic.jpg (1 MB, 1257x1725) Image search: [Google]
cover pic.jpg
1 MB, 1257x1725
Viridian Dawn Edition

Your name is Casimir, and you are a Chosen of Luna: a king of beasts, a shapeshifter par-excellence, defined by your own wilful choices and nothing else. Your form, your world, and your very destiny are yours to shape… with a complication.

You seem bound on some fundamental level to another Exalted, who calls herself Ashen-Tome Scholar. You feel conflicted around her, protective impulse warring with predatory desire; for the time being, you’ve acted as her protector and custodian, seeing her safely through the Northern wilds to the great Silver River, sailing south. Along the way, you’ve acquired a companion, of sorts: a Raksha noble calling herself Astrid Nahaka. And as you travel, you find yourself struggling, for looking within, you find only instinct but no memories with which to channel them.

PREVIOUSLY, ON GUARDIAN BEAST QUEST: You’ve arrived in Rubylak, capital of the Linowan people, only to find the place besieged by the undead. A group of Immaculate monks, champions of the Realm’s repressive anti-religion, are performing public heroes in destroying zombies, but they fail to address the cause of the problem —an infestation of ghosts, fleeing some disturbance in the Underworld to trouble the living.

The path ahead is as shrouded as the path behind. Let’s change Creation tonight.

——————
> QM’s twitter: https://twitter.com/DelacroixQm
> Past threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Guardian%20Beast%20Quest
> System mechanics: http://pastebin.com/py3t5P53
> Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/k1ZyxaDe
>>
[CONTINUED FROM LAST SESSION]

> With a chill, you consider the posture of the ghosts: like hawks observing prey, picking out probable burrow-sites and planning the best angle of attack...

There is a fell intelligence at work there —behind the zombies' mindless assault, throwing themselves into the Essence-charged fists of the Immaculate monks, there's a pattern to be discerned, in how the ghosts swoop and circle, nudging one group of zombies one way, another group this other way.

You snarl in frustration. At one point, perhaps, you might have been a general, a savant. Now you're just a beast, and must rationalise what you see through a beast's perspective.

> 3d6; I'll take the best of 3 sets.
>>
Rolled 3, 3, 2 = 8 (3d6)

>>43785215
>Let’s change Creation tonight.
One of these days we're going to change creation after sleeping in and waking up late snuggling with our waifu.
>>
>>43785306
Snuggling with an Abyssal does tend to change Creation.

Not in nice ways, though.
>>
>>43785215
Providing more dice, I will unfortunately miss this session because of school.
>>
Rolled 2, 2, 3 = 7 (3d6)

>>43785215
>>
>>43785373
We'll miss you. Please catch up on the archives when you can! ... Assuming this gets anywhere.
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 1 = 10 (3d6)

>>43785215
>>43785373
Fuck, forgot dice
>>
>>43785317
says you, our abyssal waifu a cute
>>
Interesting to see a new Exalted themed quest. I'll check out the archives to see whether or not I want to contribute.

Just a quick question Delacroix, why the weird hours?
>>
>>43785481
Resonance ;_;

>>43785488
Not exactly new —the premise is a year old. I'm just trying to reinvigorate it.

Weird for whom? They're perfectly normal for me.
>>
>>43785506
In the states it's incredibly late. Might explain the low viewership
>>
>>43785506
>Resonance ;_;
whatsonance? I'm an exalted noob
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 5 = 14 (3d6)

>>43785506
Dela, man. You're running right as I'm gong to sleep.

Hope it goes well.

>>43785215
>>
>>43785306
>>43785374
>>43785396

> It seems the abnormally good dicerolls Imuthes has been getting over on my other quest have led to this.

You shake your head. Whatever arcane purpose the ghosts might have in herding zombies into the teeth of a Dragon-blooded assault is beyond you, and besides your purpose. You're here to watch, and follow, trusting in your supernaturally-keen senses to let you track ghosts where no mortal means allow.

The fray continues until the last few zombies are shattered by the strength of the Dragon-blooded. People throng the streets and give a ragged cheer, but you pay them no heed. Instead, you're scampering over the rooftops of the strange, slanted-square structures of the Linowan, in hot pursuit of the ghosts who depart the scene of battle.

It's not difficult. They're hardly trying to hide, trusting in their immaterial nature to keep them concealed from normal senses, and you're not exactly conspicuous.

You trail them to the edge of the city, where a stand of trees seem to be segregated from the usual chaotic ruck of the forest. These stand apart, the land between them and the forest cleared of all undergrowth. As you approach, you notice ropes of twisted vines, braided with small chips of bone or ivory, strung from tree to tree.

The ghosts swirl around the perimeter, before coming to rest near a gap in the rope circle. They head inside, beneath the shadows of the great trees, and where even the slanting dawn's light doesn't penetrate. Inside, you can see a clot of shadows stirring, a multitude of ghosts teeming.

[1/2]
>>
>>43785530
Abyssals build up Resonance by going against the will of the Neverborn, primarily what they call the Sins of Life. Protecting people, saving lifes, making babies, etc.

The one exception is that these acts with your Lunar mate are exempt.
>>
>>43785572
>The one exception is that these acts with your Lunar mate are exempt.
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
>>
>>43785563
And then, movement. To your surprise, a mortal creeps from the undergrowth, her bare skin daubed with paint in ritual patterns. She reaches for the two ends of the severed fence, muttering beneath her breath, but something about her gives her away.

There's a soul-rending screech as the ghosts swarm. She seems oblivious to the danger as she continues her chanting, but it's obvious to you that they'll be upon her in seconds unless you act.

> reveal yourself; try to fight
> reveal yourself; grab her and run
> watch from hiding

>>43785524
I suppose. I'm based in Asia, so it's literally going to be night and day no matter how I slice it.

>>43785539
Thanks for dropping by!

>>43785530
Abyssals are creatures of death. Enjoying the comforts of the living goes against their very nature, and if pushed too hard, causes weird supernatural manifestations from milk spoiling and animals being born deformed, to everyone in a large area just taking damage out of nowhere.
>>
>>43785572
>>43785578

... I forgot the Lunar mate exemption.

Well, cuddle away, then!
>>
>>43785572
Forgot the last bit: When the resonance track is full it explodes and causes bad things. Blight zones, loved ones getting sick/dying, etc.
>>
>>43785587
>> reveal yourself; try to fight
Man fuck zombies

Also Asian timezones suck
>>
>>43785587
>reveal yourself; grab her and run
>>
>>43785587
>> reveal yourself; grab her and run
we know where they are going, we don't want to leave evidence of our skills or fighting abilities
>>
>>43785611
> Asian timezones suck

It's you gwailo who live near the tropic of CANCER.
>>
>>43785632
Wow you called me a ghost face? That's what that means right? Been a while since I studied mandarin
>>
>>43785669
Well, ghost DUDE, really. More like 'demon guy' or 'foreign devil', since the definition between devil and ghost is a little wonky.
>>
>>43785683
Ah, nice, I wasn't too far off. Dr. Yuu would be proud that I remembered insults
>>
>>43785587
>> reveal yourself; try to fight
just got up, awesome to actually catch this running. Hopefully I'll be able to participate from my phone.
>>
>>43785726
>>43785624
>>43785619
>>43785611

Tied between fight and flight now. If you haven't already, you might want to look at the last couple of sessions for ghost-fighting and how that turns out.
>>
>>43785747
Changing to run then.

Reading thread 2 at the moment, holyshit what a shitstorm.
>>
>>43785587
> reveal yourself; grab her and run
>>
>>43785694
Everyone does! it's the most fun part of language learning. I'm overseas-educated anyway —my Chinese languages is probably just as bad as anyone else's on 4chan.

>>43785619
>>43785624
>>43785822
>>43785765
> what a shitstorm
> Noob mistakes on my part too.

You know better than to tangle with ethereal creatures you can't touch. Instead, you grow, bursting out of your skin and donning a new one.

The creatures of white wastes whose shapes live in your blood are not known to be great climbers, but in wide open spaces of the tundra, they've got to be good at running. You don the form of a great moose and charge!

The girl screams in shock as you come bursting out of the undergrowth. You lower your head, tossing her with a flick of your great antlers onto your back —she coughs and groans as the impact knocks the wind from her, but it's a far sight better than being torn to shreds by hungry spectres.

And then you're off, stretching your legs. The undergrowth, which threatened to snare and confine you in your more compact tree-cat shape, does absolutely nothing to impede you as you build up momentum, smashing your way bodily through thickets and tangles. The girl behind you is shouting, perhaps in alarm, perhaps in excitement —you don't have time to check which.

Instead, you grow a pair of eyes above your tail to watch the rear. The ghosts spill out of the shadowed grove, surging after you, but flinch back where the canopy thins and sunlight filters down. It seems you're in the clear.

You shift again abruptly in mid-stride, wearing the skin of a snow leopard with the girl's belt between your teeth as you clamber up the side of a nearby building. From your high vantage point, you scan the city for signs of supernatural movement, but it seems all has quietened down in the dawn's light, filtered green by the sea of trees between you and the horizon. The streets are quiet.

> drop the girl off and return to your inn
> take her with you
> suggestions?
>>
>>43785828
>take her with you
>>
>>43785828
>take her with you
>>
>>43785828
>> take her with you
Female acquired
>>
>>43785895
another one
>>
>>43785908
Everything is turning up Casimir
>>
>>43785506
>Resonance ;_;
I thought Abyssals explicitly didn't get resonance from doing, well, damn near anything with their Lunar mate. Up to having kids and annihilating ghosts to protect them.
>>
>>43785924
Nevermind, should've read a bit further down. Now I look like an idiot.
>>
>>43785924
They don't.
>>
>>43785828
> take her with you
>>
>>43785947
That's a relief. I really like Ash, she a qt.
>>
File: kyra.png (732 KB, 712x807) Image search: [Google]
kyra.png
732 KB, 712x807
Sorry, my Internet shat the bed for a while and I had to reboot my router.

>>43785871
>>43785881
>>43785895
>>43785976
Good enough for me.

The girl in your jaws spends most of the trip over the rooftops of Rubylak hyperventilating, but at some point she calms down, and seems to be in an almost contemplative state as the ground whizzes by, your powerful legs barely touching the rooftops as you propel yourself onwards. It's a small matter to go unseen —nobody expects to see a snow leopard running over the rooftops with a girl in its jaws —and you retrace your steps to your inn, formerly the centre of a battle between the living and the dead.

Astrid drops her spear, she's laughing so hard, as you butt the girl through the window with your head, squeezing in after. Ashe is startled awake from where she slept in a chair by the window, her head pillowed against her arm laid across the chair's back, and seems less amused at you.

For your part, you assume the impassive aplomb of a cat, and clean yourself with licks of your broad tongue.

Your guest/captive rubs her elbow from where she’s fallen to the floor, sitting up slowly as she does so. She’s dressed in the usual scanty native wear, and her bronze skin is daubed with talismanic tribal designs besides. On her head like a helmet is the skull of some horned herbivore, also inscribed with signs.

She glances from you to the others, taking in Astrid’s exotic looks and Ashe’s pallid beauty, and then back to you. With almost reverential care, she forms devotional mudras with her hands and bows.

“Oh great jungle god, for what have you snatched your servant from her task?”

It seems she's mistaken you for some kind of local deity.

> let Astrid field this one, since she's so amused
> let Ashe field this one, she's supposed to be the brains of this operation
> you do it; after all, this is your mess

If selecting Casimir,
> play along
> I'm not a god. I'm something more
> What were *you* doing out there?
> Write-in?
>>
>>43785947
How come Lunar mates are exempt from causing resonance build up for their Abyssal mates?
>>
>>43786069
> Dark Fate and Lunar Mates
Errata – Second Edition

The mystical ties that bind Lunar Exalted to their Solar mates offer Abyssal Exalted a tiny sliver of hope. Resonance is never gained from sins of life directly associated with the appropriate Lunar. If the deathknight’s mate calls her by her forsaken name, she may answer to it. She can protect her mate from harm and love her with a positive Intimacy. The two can even have children together safely, for all that the Neverborn impotently roar in fury. If the Abyssal actually does hold a positive Intimacy for her mate, the protection goes even farther, shielding her from sins of death so long as her actions are in direct support or defense of the Lunar. Thus, an Abyssal with no positive Intimacy could safely protect her mate from demons, but not a horde of specters (since the sin of death for opposing creatures of death still applies even though defending the specific life is permitted). With a positive Intimacy, the deathknight can safely ignore her Liege’s command to murder her mate and can even fight the Deathlord in defense of that one precious life.
>>
>>43786054
> play along
>To protect you, mortal Forces beyond your comprehension were about to rip you asunder, just as you were beginning your ritual
>>
>>43786054
>a harem doesn't grow itself, you know /jk

> let Ashe field this one, she's supposed to be the brains of this operation
>>
>>43786054
> play along
>>
>>43786054
>> let Ashe field this one, she's supposed to be the brains of this operation
>>
>>43786112
Ashe is the brains, not the face. We should stick to pretending to be a local god, it's best not let anyone know what we really are with Immaculates at our doorstep
>>
>>43786119
>>43786138
Ashe is not good at social, we are.
>>
>>43786103
Seconding this
>>
>>43786054
> play along
>>
>>43786119
> good
I'll have to see the rest of it to be sure.
>>
>>43786054
changing >>43786119 to
> play along
> What were *you* doing out there?
>>
>>43786054
>>43786103
This
>>
>>43786092
Hey Dela, where are attributes listed in our character sheet?
>>
>>43786278
We're not actually using the Exalted system —my last attempt at that broke my interest so hard this quest disappeared for a year.
>>
>>43786289
Ah okay, fair enough. I was wondering why this died off
>>
>>43786289
You could just try EF's system for his quest. Works fine, doubt he'd mind either
>>
File: casimir.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1459) Image search: [Google]
casimir.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1459
>>43786321
> try EF's system
Too many Charms to keep track off. Currently, I can get away with adding fewer new powers and just upgrade existing ones.

>>43786103
>>43786118
>>43786165
>>43786169
>>43786176

"For your own protection, child." Astrid smirks as you play along; Ashe just rolls her eyes and scoots away a little further from the sunlight beginning to pour in through the window.

You relax into your human form —it and your serpent spirit-shape are the most 'comfortable' to wear, and you suppose that, garbed as you are in rough furs, you are enough of a picture of barbarian splendour to pull off the ruse. "Forces beyond your comprehension were gathering, and would have torn your asunder during your ritual, had I not intervened."

Well, it's *kinda* true.

"What is your name, child, and what was your purpose?"

> 5d6; I'll take the best of the first 3 sets
> Just so everyone can follow, 5d6 is Changing Moon 1 + charming 1 + astute 1 + 2 bonus for playing to her assumption and being blatantly magical
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 4, 1, 3 = 18 (5d6)

>>43786360

>Too many charms
I didn't mean the charms, just his stats. His stat system is super simple.
>>
Rolled 6, 4, 6, 6, 4 = 26 (5d6)

>>43786360
>>
Rolled 4, 3, 5, 5, 4 = 21 (5d5)

>>43786360
>>
>>43786388
Oh snap, all successes! This is why Cas is the face

>>43786321
eh, Lady Blackbird's system is simple enough. I'm fine with whatever system Del wants to run that doesn't discourage him from play
>>
>>43786412
I was just suggesting EF because he's made to 100. One of the longer running quests on /tg/ for a reason.
>>
>>43786433
>One of the longer running quests on /tg/ for a reason.
Yeah, because he's running it and wants to keep running it, certain systems work for certain stories and certain authors, but all are different.
>>
>>43786496
True enough, I just thought I'd make a suggestion.
>>
>>43786388
... What the hell.

>>43786412
Thank you. I do like Lady Blackbird!

The girl's eyes gleam with wonder and pride.

"Your holiness is testing me, I'm sure, to see if I answer you truthfully or not. Very well! Your servant is Kyra Lu Luka, daughter of Arkasi Lu Luka, Queen of Linowa —as the capital is plagued with angry ancestors, I took it upon myself to perform the ancient rituals of appeasement."

She arranges her limbs with artful grace, performing some kind of ritual obeisance before you. "My lord, you are clearly a power beyond nature! The Immaculate monks of the Realm have prevented our people from giving the ancient gods of our foremothers their proper due, and so our protectors have abandoned us to this plague of ghosts.

"Please, bestow your favour and protection upon the Linowan people, and we will find a way to restore your worship and reinvigorate your cult!"

The colour is high in her cheeks, and she seems to radiate so much reverent intent that you can practically feel it beating out of her. She might be young, but she does seem to have had some form of thaumaturgical or liturgical training.

Astrid conceals a chuckle. "My, ah, my lord —you command my lance, as always. If it is your will that we —" she tries hard to prevent her facade of composure from cracking, the effort causing tears to glisten at the corners of her eyes " —we exterminate these unruly ancestors, then let it be done!"

At least someone is being entertained.

Ashe, on the other hand, is nonplussed and wears that on her sleeve. "May I remind you that you have other duties, *my lord*?" Her voice drips with sweet venom. "Perhaps it would be best if we just collected your *offerings* and were gone. Surely the Chosen of the Gods will suffice to quell these ghosts?"

You refrain from frowning only barely —wasn't Ashe the one who expressed concern at the state of the Underworld? Why is she suddenly so eager to leave?

> promise to help
> time to nope right out of here
>>
>>43786542
> promise to help
Waifu may not be pleased, but gotta safeguard creation
>>
>>43786542
> promise to help
Immaculates cleary aren't addressing the true source of the problem
>>
>>43786542
> promise to help
we can make it so Ashe is doing it for us to get around resonance if she's worried about that
>>
>>43786542
>promise to help
>>
>>43786542
>> promise to help
>>
>>43786542
> promise to help
What kind of hero would we be if we hightailed it away from people in need?
>>
>>43786586
>>43786616
>>43786570
>>43786565
>>43786561
Cas is going to have quite a nice boost to his cult rating if he succeeds in helping, ain't he?
>>
>>43786662
Certainly
>>
> this much chivalry

You extend your hands magnanimously, hoping that you look appropriately impressive. "Your plea has been heard, daughter of river and forest, and the river and forest reply. You will have my aid in ridding Rubylak of these pests.

"But first, you must tell us more." You turn to Ashe. "My, ah, my handmaiden has questions for you."

Ashe blushes a little at the 'handmaiden' comment, but nods.

Kyra abases herself again. "My lord! My gratitude is boundless. I will answer all that I can. But surely, we should adjourn to a more fitting environment?" She looks around, taking in the room you occupy —it's a handsome travellers' rest, but hardly appropriate for a deity, you suppose.

At least Astrid's playmates are gone. You're not sure how you would explain that away.

"No," you decide. "This is fine. Those who bear the blood of the Dragons do not appreciate meddling in their affairs, and ineffectual as they are at solving your problems, they might still be an impediment to our progress. Best they not discover our hidden hand behind the proceedings."

Kyra beams. "My lord speaks truly! Indeed you are wise!" She turns to Ashe. "Ask then, handmaid! Instruct me in his needs!"

That's a little too much for Astrid, who makes it halfway out the room before she breaks into gales of laughter. Still chortling, she heads into the taproom, in search of a drink. Ashe, on the other hand, has turned a very interesting colour.

"N-n-n-needs?! I-I wouldn't know, I mean — " You shoot her a meaningful look and wave your hands in an appropriately mystical fashion, and she calms down a little. "O-oh, that. Yes. Well, you mentioned rituals...?"

It seems Kyra, in order to succeed her mother Arkasi as queen, is instructed in a form of royal thaumaturgy to placate ancestral spirits, but the Linowan alliance with the Realm has put pressure on the river-folk to forsake their ancient customs in order to appease the Immaculate Cult.

[1/2]
>>
>>43786703
>"N-n-n-needs?! I-I wouldn't know, I mean — "
ahahaha, that's priceless.
>>
>>43786703
>> this much chivalry
stewards gonna steward
>>
>>43786703
> cont'd

Arkasi's public presence has prevented her from performing the necessary rites, but Kyra has been performing them in her stead. However, the girl is hardly fully-trained, and the disturbances that Ashe mentioned in the Underworld might be pressuring ghosts to behave in abnormal ways.

She turns to you, her flusteredness disappearing before the icy calm she summons to confront intellectual problems. "This looks bad. The grove where you found her is supposed to be an ancient burial-ground —the Linowan inter their dead in the cleft of trees, so that their life may flow unto a new generation. There's some kind of blight on the forest, however, that's killing them off.

"The deaths of the trees is somehow weakening whatever ritual power keeps the dead at bay. If the grove should perish entirely, a shadowland might form here, right beside the city."

The words mean nothing to you, but Ashe's tone of concern spurs you to worrying. "How would we counteract this?"

Ashe frowns. "It seems three things are needed: first, we'll need to find some way of countering the blight that's affecting the trees. Then, we'll need some way of reversing the spiritual damage that's already been done to the area. Resanctify it, somehow. And finally, we'll have to deal with the ghosts that have already crossed-over, since they're unlikely to just shuffle off peacefully."

"You're forgetting the Terrestrials," Astrid adds, as she returns with a clay bottle and some mugs. She pours and hands out what turns out to be a potent berry-wine. "They're no fan of *our kind*." You suspect she means Fae, and the Exalted, but allow Kyra to interpret that as she may. "If they get wind of our involvement, this whole thing is likely to get more complicated."

You brood over the problem, ignoring the minor fracas as Kyra snatches the mug Astrid intends for you, and then presents it to you in a more formal style.

> brainstorming time
> the girls will give their own input after players
>>
>>43786784
For curing the blight, we should investigate the source, since it could be sabotage.
>>
>>43786810
/takes notes

I'm totally not stealing ideas from you guys, please proceed.
>>
>>43786840
Well, we're pretty perceptive, so if anyone in our 'circle' could find the source of the blight, it's likely us. That said, I'm mulling over in my head whether we should have Kyra resantify the circle and close it off first to stop the spread of ghost before we address the blight. After all, in order to heal an infection you first have to stop it from spreading.

We should ask Kyra how long the ritual will take, and how precise she must be in her actions and if she must restart if interrupted.
>>
>>43786784
>>43786859
this is good, ask Ashe if she and Kyra can stem the tide so we can manage the problem of the blight
>>
>>43786784
We should contact the local forest god, see if they can't assist us in reversing or helping us fight off the blight that's affecting the grove.
>>
We should prepare to fight ghosts, too. Either get charms for it, get tools or find sone exorcists. Don't we have some backing for returning that coffin or something?
>>
>>43786878
Yeah, Ashe would probably be the best candidate to assist Kyra in resanctifying the grove; she can ward off the ghosts while Kyra finishes her ritual.

I forget, can Astrid attack immaterial beings?
>>
>>43786897
We have to go Sijan first, which is all the way in the West (along way away from where we're at)
>>
>>43786918
Hmm, maybe we can get lucky and meet some people of the order here, maybe they'll help us if we show/give them the coffin?
>>
>>43786784
We should distract the Immaculates, see if Ashe can't direct the ghosts to send undead as bait and draw them away from the grove (bonus points for distracting the ghosts while Kyra finishes the ritual)
>>
>>43786859
> ask Kyra how long the ritual will take, and how precise she must be in her actions and if she must restart if interrupted

She frowns at the questions. "My lord, I am no thaumaturgist, so all I can venture is what I was taught. The ritual I attempted wouldn't have taken long, I'd just have needed to re-tie the ropes ringing the grove while reciting the proper prayers. I don't know how the ropes even came to be broken, though —I was hopeful that retying them would suffice, but now I'm not so sure...

"As for resanctifying the grove itself? That would take... a long time. Require preparation. And it couldn't be interrupted."

The mental rigour of problem-solving seems to have burned-off most of Ashe's reluctance —she's listening avidly, and mumbling to herself as she ticks things off her fingers. "We could put up a temporary seal with salt, I suppose. It would stop the ghosts, but not zombies."

"And a good strong arm can stop zombies, but not ghosts," adds Astrid, twirling her lance pointedly.

>>43786897
>>43786905
You ask Ashe about fighting ghosts. She and Kyra confer for a moment. "The Immaculates could do it, but they use powerful supernatural martial arts that none of us know. I could, and I have some spells that should work, but I'd be just as vulnerable while casting them as Kyra would be performing her rituals."

Kyra clears her throat. "There are some blessed implements that the royal exorcists and embalmers use... Could you not endow some weapons with your divine essence?"

Luna, goddess of desperate improvisation, comes to your aid. "Such craft is the province of the gods of mortal labour, not the eternal forest," you reply, with just the right degree of hauteur, and Kyra inclines her head submissively.

Slowly, a plan coalesces: an embassy to the local gods, to enlist the help of the spirit world; Necromantic spells and thaumaturgic rituals to contain the ghosts and resanctify the grave-trees.

Which leaves the Immaculate problem...
>>
>>43786887
thats a good point, though we should do it on our own without Kyra, don't want to complicate things

>>43786897
another good point, we seem to be encountering spirits and ghosts more often than we'd like, being able to deal with them would be good
>>
>>43786945
"I... I can summon and bind ghosts," Ashe volunteers. "I-If I can get their name, that is. Not too many at a time, but —we could try talking to them?"
>>
>>43786953
Man, all I can think of us is somehow riling up the ghosts and creating more zombies to send at the Immaculates to distract them. It's kind of shitty, and puts the Linowans at risk but at the same time the Immaculates could put a serious crimp in our plans if they try to intercede
>>
>>43786975
Okay, that's a good start. Here's the order I'm thinking we should start

>find the local gods, see if they can't help us in these spiritual matters. Use the threat of a looming proto-Shadowland, possibly getting tools that are divinely blessed to help deal with ghosts and the blight
>with the local god's help, divine some of the ghosts true name and have Ashe bind them and send them as a distraction for the Immaculates
>while the Immaculates and some of the ghosts are distracted, have Kyra and the local god resanctify the grove
>in the mean time, have Casimir and Astrid investigate the source of the blight and use their tools to get rid of it
>>
>>43786975
This is good, I was just thinking that we should try reasoning with the ghosts.

Perhaps Kyra could volunteer the names of some of her royal ancestors? Whichever ones are most revered, they'll be the most likely to be powerful (personally and socially) ghosts.

They could tell us of the trouble in the Underworld that has the ghosts stirred up.
>>
>>43787018
See if Kyra can't find us non-blessed implements, so that these gods of mortal labour can bless them
>>
>>43787058
ooh, that's a good point
>>
>>43786987
>>43787018
>>43787058

"Names...?" Kyra brightens. "The names of the interred ancestors should be recorded by the royal funerists! I... I might be able to get some of those records, b-but if I got caught..."

"Would you ask a boon of others and yet risk little yourself, princess?" you interrupt, and she freezes, blanching pale beneath her tan.

"N-no! Of course not!" She bows. "You are right to chastise me, my lord! I will be dauntless in the protection of my homeland!"

After some discussion, it seems that you have something approximating a plan. While the sun shines, Kyra can appropriate the records of the funerists, and Ashe can make the preparations she needs to work her magic. In the mean-time, you and Astrid should take advantage of the safety of daylight to seek out the local gods to see what assistance they can grant you.

All while hopefully escaping the scrutiny of the local Immaculate presence.

The morning is now truly upon you. You're a little tired from having spent the whole night pursuing ghosts through the city, and Kyra is beginning to yawn too. Astrid seems tireless, and Ashe did nod off while waiting for you.

> take a quick rest before you head out (doesn't actually advance time; choose this and propose modifications to the plan)
> head out immediately to make the most of daylight (go with the plan as presented above)
>>
>>43787100
>head out immediately to make the most of daylight
We can rest later
>>
>>43787100
> head out immediately to make the most of daylight (go with the plan as presented above)
>>
>>43787100
>> head out immediately to make the most of daylight (go with the plan as presented above)
>>
>>43787100
Uh, this is more a clarification than a modification, but I suggest if we end up summoning Kyra's ancestors, we do NOT bind them.

If I remember my lore, this could be an important show of respect, although we have to risk that they won't be immediately hostile.

Other than that
>head out
>>
>>43787100
>> head out immediately to make the most of daylight (go with the plan as presented above)
we haven't really spent any essence

gotta make the most of the time we have, we can rest later if we manage to secure aid
>>
>>43787198
thats a good point about her ancestors, we want to show respect with them, binding them might make things worse if they are not immediately hostile to us
>>
File: jungle shrine .jpg (819 KB, 1920x1180) Image search: [Google]
jungle shrine .jpg
819 KB, 1920x1180
Astrid grins a little at the thought of heading out —clearly all this watching and waiting has been boring her. Ashe pulls up her hood and prepares to venture to the palace, where she and Kyra will try to get the most they can out of whatever arcane materials they can find.

And you steel yourself, heading out of the city and into the wilds.

It'll take you too long to walk, of course —by the time you walked into the true wilderness and back, the sun would already have set. So you take to the wing, circling on rising drafts of warm air, as Astrid spurs her Fae steed at a terrific pace through the orchards that feed the city, both of you heading deeper away from civilisation.

As buildings and signs of habitation fall behind, you find yourself relaxing into your feral mindset, embracing freedom from scrutiny. In a depressingly-short time, you see Astrid rein up and dismount, and you join her on foot in your human shape, both of you breaking from the road to head to the shrine Kyra told you about.

Even in decline, it's a handsome edifice, its arches imbued with a grace not exhibited by the squat Linowan architecture. That grace seems to permeate the entire structure, some lingering geomantic energy investing the area with vitality and sanctity.

Astrid stretches beguilingly, favouring you with an arch smile. "Well. This place is invigorating, isn't it? All that verdant fertility..." She licks her lips.

Clearly she's getting a very different vibe from the area than you are. A trifle unnerved, you lay the offerings advised by Kyra upon the central altar, and intone the appropriate prayer.

"Emesh! Lord of vine and leaf, we offer to you these tokens of wine and meal, and pray you take pleasure in what we have wrought of your bounty! Come forth and bless us with the favour of your divine presence!"

"One of the Gods' Chosen, praying?" Astrid leans on her spear. "Now I really have seen everything!"

> 4d6
>>
Rolled 2, 3, 5, 5 = 15 (4d6)

>>43787265
>>
Rolled 2, 5, 6, 6 = 19 (4d6)

>>43787265
>>
Rolled 2, 3, 6, 1 = 12 (4d6)

>>43787265
>>
>>43787287
There's a rustle in the vegetation, and although nothing physically changes, there's a sudden *presence*, rising from the forest like a sudden breeze...

... and before you towers a huge man, furred and hoofed from the waist down, branching antlers casting you in shadow.

He takes a seat on the altar, which for all its decreptitude and his apparent great weight shows no sign of bearing any burden at all. "Well. It has been a very long time since any of your kind came before me. What do you ask of me, Prince of the Earth?" His eyes flash from you to Astrid. "You certainly keep odd company, for one of Luna's Chosen."

You fold your arms, unintimidated. It actually feels refreshing to not have to hide your nature and deal fairly with someone, even if they are a god. "I try not to let prejudice or the past affect my choices."

"Oh. Your kind have long memories. To leave the past behind cannot be easy. The attempt is... admirable."

You incline your head politely. "As for what I ask... what do you know of the recent spate of ghosts plaguing Rubylak and the Linowan?"

His face darkens. "The Linowan? Those ingrates caved in the moment the Immaculates waved magic under their noses. They'd rather have those Exalted scumbags on their side against the Haltans? Ha!" He blinks, as if just remembering something, and then adds hastily, "Ah, I mean —the Terrestrial Exalted, of course. Not your kind. The Stewards of Luna have always dealt fairly with the gods of green places."

"May I conclude that you're reluctant to lend them your aid?" you ask dryly.

He growls, swilling a great mouthful of the wine you placed before him. "Reluctant? More like... like eminent!"

"Adamant," Astrid corrects.

"Yeah, whatever. That. I ain't helping those Imperial bootlickers. Their whole city can fall apart, for all I care! Look what they've done to my shrine! Do you think I care about what happens to them?"

Well, do you?
> Yes
> No
> Fuck you, *I* care, and that should be enough!
>>
>>43787454
>tell him they didn't have much choice and that they really want to return to the old ways. We could even bring a Princess here to prove it.
>>
>>43787454
>>43787482
This
>>
I'm going on a break —getting something to eat. You guys take a break too!
>>
>>43787454
>>43787482
this

this time I know well why that pic is cut off
>>
>>43787454
>>43787482
>Yes
>"We Lunars aren't the only ones with long memories. The Linowans once observed your rites faithfully; it's clear you remember a time when you received the devotion you deserve. They may return to you, but they need your help. The wise among them will know who to thank for the healing of their trees, even if they must do so out of earshot of the Immaculates"

>"For now I ask only for what information you may have on the current blight, but I can bring the Princess of the Linowan here that you may see her devotion and pure intentions for yourself."
>>
Back! Catching up and writing
>>
>>43787708
this is good

though if we bring Kyra here to see the actual god, we need a way to explain what we are or our 'ruse'
>>
> look for beastfolk pictures for quest folder
> /tg/ centaur thread
> distracted by centaur monstergirl hentai

Dammit!
>>
>>43787482
>>43787494
>>43787583
>>43787708
> long write-in
Thanks for this. I'm using it wholesale —just assume Casimir says what you said, it's great. +XP for sure.

Emesh's eyebrows shoot up. "We~ll," he says reluctantly. "I suppose they weren't always bad. Yeah. It seems like almost yesterday when they'd parade out here at night with torches, the smell of pitch and fresh-cut boughs, and dance around these stones. I... I get lonely in the winter, see, and the Linowan used to keep me company, on the longest and darkest of nights. And they'd send me maidens during Calibration, to make the time go faster, yeah..."

You cut him off before his reminiscences get too graphic, although Astrid pouts. "Yes, quite. Clearly you too have not entirely abandoned the Linowan in your heart."

"I guess not," Emesh says reluctantly. He takes a bite of the cakes you brought, looking wistfully at the confection dwarfed by his huge hands. "I guess not." He heaves a great sigh. "Fine, fine. What do you want? Ghosts, you said?"

You nod. "The capital, Rubylak, is being troubled by ghosts, who in turn raise zombies to vent their rage on the native population. It's apparently caused by a blight that's affecting the grave-groves."

"Huh. The cemetrees, huh?" Emesh rubs his jaw in a surprisingly human gesture. "Yeah, I seem to remember something like that. Some of those white-robed baldies broke the barrier, said they had to perform some kind of maintenance rites. The guardian spirit of the grove hasn't reported back since. We, uh, haven't been talking much of late."

The Immaculate monks? But why would they contaminate the grove? Why would they want to invite reprisals from the Underworld?

Surely... surely they couldn't have *engineered* Rubylak's current predicament?

[1/2]
>>
>>43787738
Should be doable; in this sort of situation it's probably best to give the partial truth. We can simply say that we're a wandering champion of nature.

Think that'll do? Might be better to be a little more open; I doubt she'd totally freak if we tried explaining that we're a Lunar. It's answering questions about our companions that would really get awkward.

Alternatively, we could just say we're a different god.

>>43787757
iknowthefeel.jpg
>>
>>43787894

Emesh reaches the same conclusion that you do, at about the same time, his features hardening, setting into a grimace of rage. "Bastards!" he swears. "Prince, leave the trees to me. I swear to you by the Sun and Moon that I'll burn that blight out of them! Golden-Eyed Jorst won't like it —he's always had a thing for the Realm —but this time he'll just have to swallow it! I'll turn his spirit court upside-down if I have to!"

"Very good, then," you reply, still slightly uncomfortable at being addressed as 'Prince'. You extend your hand to him. "I am called Casimir, Chosen of Luna, and I thank you for your aid."

He grips your wrist like a warrior welcoming a brother. "Emesh, as you know. It's good to have you back, Prince of the Earth. The Terrestrials have been running this show into the ground for too long!" He drives his fingers into the earth, and scoops from it a large acorn. "Here, take this. Plant it anywhere in these forests as long as the sun is in the sky, and call my name, and I will come. You have my pledge, Moon-Sworn."

You nod. "You have my thanks, Earth-Born. I'll leave you to your feast —we have other preparations to make before we will invoke your aid."

He nods, and begins devouring your offerings by the handful. You tactfully leave him to it, heading back —this time, riding pillion with Astrid, since you feel the urge to talk.

"I hope this has been amusing for you thus far," you prod.

She grins at you over her shoulder. "Oh, yes, very much, sir knight. You've shown a most refreshing chivalry. Not quite radical, just... novel. Doing a good job slaying monsters and smiting miscreants. As far as the fair ladies go, though, not so much."

You laugh helplessly at her lascivious smirk. "Any advice, then? You are, of course, the senior knight."

"Squire, now. Probably," she corrects. "And I do, actually." Her look is intense, and suddenly serious.

"No lady appreciates an indecisive gallant, sir knight."

[2/3]
> underestimated length
>>
>>43787966
You chatter together idly about the state of the forest as you head back, but before you reach the inn, you already smell trouble from the large crowd —unusual in these days of curfews and zombies walking abroad —and the armed guards everywhere.

And sure enough, at the door of the inn you find one of the Linowan guardsmen, lying crumpled in the dust, apparently having been dealt a mighty blow that shattered his armour in one stroke. His ribs are probably stove-in, and his breathing is rapid, shallow, and painful.

You leap off the back of Astrid's mount, shoving through the crowd to gain his side in moments. He glances at you, and his eyes widen with recognition, as do yours —he's the amiable sergeant who first greeted you upon your arrival to Rubylak, who guided you to this very inn.

"Y-you —" He coughs spasmodically. "You... message..." He fumbles at his tunic, which you help him loosen with alacrity.

There, across his chest, incised in letters of fresh blood, is a message indeed, in Old Realm characters.

"Casimir - the Dragons have taken the girl. Come to the Palace, immediately. I dare not reveal myself until you come.

"Your d̶e̶a̶r̶ b̶e̶l̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶t̶e̶ friend, Ashe."

Well, shit.

He seems to have fallen unconscious, and you grind your teeth at being so helpless —you're adept at healing your *own* wounds, but you can do nothing for his.

And after all, you have more pressing things to attend to.

The palace —well, it's more of a dirt fort, really, surrounded by a palisade of logs and baked earth —isn't far, but despite its primitive appearance, the security seems anything but lax. You should be able to penetrate those defences easily, since nobody guards against sundry beasts, but Astrid is a different matter...

> she comes along —we'll have to force our way in
> Astrid waits outside —we go in incognito

If Astrid waits,
> any standing orders?
>>
>>43788043
> Astrid waits outside —we go in incognito
> any standing orders?
Get her to scout out the Linowa. See whats happening with them currently.
>>
>>43788043
>> Astrid waits outside —we go in incognito
> any standing orders?
scout around for more intel on the immaculate cunts, but agree on a signal that we can use to call for her attention and aid if need be
>>
File: Arkasi skull ritual.jpg (148 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
Arkasi skull ritual.jpg
148 KB, 620x877
>>43788066
>>43788121
Astrid nods as you hastily sketch out a plan. She'll make a quick circuit of the city, to see if she can identify where the Immaculate monks are congregating, but she'll drop everything and head to the palace at your signal —a sharp, shrill crane's call, from a creature not indigenous to the area.

And you for your part are quickly winging your way over to the palace. It's child's play to slip from form to form, from sparrowhawk to mouse as you creep from room to room.

It seems the Dragon-Blooded are truly brazen. Kyra kneels before her mother, Queen Arkasi, adorned in the full regalia of a barbarian monarch. Above Kyra stands the armoured woman you saw leading the Immaculates last night, and beside her stands a single white-robed monk.

You take up station in the rafters, as you eavesdrop on the conversation.

"—your very own daughter, Arkasi," the Terrestrial scoffs haughtily. "Your own daughter! Caught performing forbidden rites in the forest! Consorting with Anathema, no doubt, and fomenting strife with rebel gods in the woods! It is precisely this sort of heresy that has caused the plague of ghosts upon your capital! Surely your royal ancestors are enraged that you have turned your backs on the ineffable serenity of the Immaculate Philosophy! Surely your heresy has cost them their chance to reincarnate to one of us, one of the Exalted, and so they haunt and bedevil you!"

Tremors shiver the rafters, as the earth itself seems to resonate in sympathy with the Terrestrial's self-righteous proclamations.

Arkasi, to her credit, seems unfazed. "You've made your point, magistrate," she says. "What penance does the Thousand Eyes demand of the Royal House of Linowa?"

The Dragon-blood's eyes flash. "You and she must publicly recant your heathen ways. She will fast, to pugre her spirit. And then, the punishment due to all heretics: death!"

Arkasi rises with a ringing shout of denial. "You go too far, Mnemon Riana — "

[1/2]
>>
>>43788264

"—No! It is YOU who have gone too far, Arkasi!" the armoured woman - Mnemon Riana? - roars. "You presume too much upon your alliance with the Realm! You think that we will overlook the rot in your own house, because you pay lip service and token tribute to the Blessed Isle? You think we have no uncovered the seeds of corruption here? We KNOW of your iniquity, Arkasi, and you tempt the righteous retribution of Ten Thousand Dragons if you persist in your folly!

"Is one daughter too much to ask for the Realm's favour?" Riana sneers. "You can have more daughters, Arkasi, but trust you this: the indulgence of the Scarlet Empire, once lost, cannot be repurchased, and should the Empress' ire be roused, it'll take more than one filthy savage's life to appease her!"

Arkasi's face darkens like a stormcloud, and you can see her shoulders shake with barely-suppressed rage and despair...

> INTERVENE - VALOUR: You're just going to take that, your Majesty? Your daughter and your people deserve a queen with more spine!
> INTERVENE - COMPASSION: Arkasi, appeasement is never a one-time thing. Once you've surrendered your own flesh and blood, you've already surrendered everything!
> INTERVENE - CONVICTION: Your Majesty, remember why you became queen in the first place. Was it for luxury, or to do your duty? Will you be able to face your forebears, do you think, if you shirk now your obligation?
> INTERVENE - TEMPERANCE: Do not rise to their bait, Queen Arkasi —they tempt you into folly by playing on your emotions. A cool head will tell you that this will be only the first of many unreasonable demands.
> DON'T INTERVENE: watch and wait
>>
>>43788322
> INTERVENE - COMPASSION: Arkasi, appeasement is never a one-time thing. Once you've surrendered your own flesh and blood, you've already surrendered everything!
Also maybe throw in a line about immaculate monks defiling the sacred cemetree's and causing this blight to sow chaos in these lands
>>
>>43788351
I was considering that, but no proof though. "God told me she did it," even in Exalted, isn't really very strong evidence.
>>
>>43788357
true, though I reckon we could find a spirit who saw it happen, mayhaps one of the royal families ancestors hint hint
>>
>>43788322
>> INTERVENE - COMPASSION: Arkasi, appeasement is never a one-time thing. Once you've surrendered your own flesh and blood, you've already surrendered everything!
>>
Also holy shit I've been at this for more than eight hours. Time to call it a day -__-

Tell you what, people, I'm calling it here. Next session, we start from this same decision point.

> gained Changing Moon: [duplicitous]
> gained No Moon: [spirit lore]
> unlocked COMPASSION 1, for helping mortals even though you didn't have to
>>
>>43788440
thanks for the thread Dela

I can't wait to enlighten Banra's buns to our goldeness
>>
>>43788476
I'm halfway through the decimal-point chapter as we speak. I expected to finish it by today but GBQ took a lot longer than I thought!
>>
>>43788483
well I'm looking forward to it, though feel free to take a break after this run, also don't forget to archive the thread
>>
>>43788440
Just woke up, but I just wanted to thank you for an excellent thread Dela!
>>
Thanks for the run Delacroix! Great story that I look forward to every week!
>>
>>43787454
>cropped pic
Oh, dela.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.