[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ - Fifth Edition D&D
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: bignblue4u.jpg (720 KB, 2001x1328) Image search: [Google]
bignblue4u.jpg
720 KB, 2001x1328
Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition General Discussion

>All official WotC content here (now including the SCAG)
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Tools for 5e, other stuff, miscellaneous homebrews
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Map:
https://mega.nz/#!CowGWLKT!yiwaLeoLWcsV4d8uY5DmqsmPxTw3ZIdpz8xAzaYkQ5II

> November's Unearthed Arcana:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf

>November's Sage Advice
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

Is there a magic item economy in your game/setting at all? If not (or not really) do you find there is much use for the gold/money that accumulates as medium levels start to approach?
>>
I'm trying to put together an insanity themed campaign. How might the influence of a great old one warp undead ethereal creatures like ghosts and revenants?
>>
File: MoLM.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
MoLM.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43784878
Followup/additional topic:

Considering of implementing the machine of Lum the Mad. How would you implement the random effects suggested here?
>>
Why is there no reach on spears?
>>
>>43784997
He might be eating them, causing them to flee in terror instead of attack.

He could pervert their purposes, revenants may persist for longer than a year, their lust for revenge forgotten due to a compulsion- the stars are right and this city MUST rise from beneath the waves.

The geometries found in the churches of old dead gods don't let anyone ever leave. Not even if you die. Spirits haunt their halls, unable to escape and mad with hunger.
>>
>>43784878
You could always entice the party into investing into a fortress or something.

As for my personal game, there is a bit of a magic item economy but it's not exactly something you can just find in a town. Most artificers / magic item creators travel if they don't own a shop because magic items are so constantly sought after that's it's almost dangerous to have a shop in a common town. Only capital cities or stronghold cities have artificer shops and nothing in these shops are cheap.
>>
>>43785064
Because wotc hate spears. I think spears have been the worst weapon in all DnD games pretty much. Low damage, no special property, shorter throwing range than javelin and does the same damage as the mace and the quarterstaff.
>>
>>43785107
Do you tend to "mark up" (depending on what that might mean to you--though the DMG does provide a reference point for pricing) those items that are on sale?

So far I tend to have them run into a wandering magic item salesman, but I have avoided the 'private market' approach they have outlined in the DMG.
>>
Is there a way to get proficiency in a saving throw aside from your starting class proficiency and the Resilient feat? I'd like my character to have dex proficiency, since she's meant to be fast and acrobatic.

It's not a big problem to take Resilient, but I've got to wait until level 4 to take it, and it's not really a great feat in my estimation.
>>
File: WildSurges.png (734 KB, 1228x820) Image search: [Google]
WildSurges.png
734 KB, 1228x820
>>43785025
Just roll each time? Most of the effects are self-explanatory, and the only ones that aren't are easily understood by anyone who has experience with AD&D.
Given the players don't need to see the random table, and given that you're bringing up this artifact at all, I assume you have enough of a knowledge of the old ways to just roll with it.

Though as an addendum I would probably attach a table of wild magic effects.

Now with the correct surges.
>>
So why does Smite not work with ranged weaponry? Is it game breaking to allow a bow-wielding Paladin?
>>
>>43785258
>wotc
>allowing fun
>>
>>43785258
WotC is afraid of the situation where the best damage dealers are the bowmen.
But without bringing back the AD&D style of combat, the only way to avoid this is by arbitrarily deciding that some of the bigger damage bonuses don't work for ranged attacks.
>>
File: Divine Archer.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Divine Archer.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>43785258
Because they wanted to keep paladins in melee.

It's something that's easily rectified, though.
>>
>>43784878
>Is there a magic item economy in your game/setting at all?

Kinda the same way that back in older days there was an "economy" for trade and artifacts in Rome that came from Han Dynansty China; yes it happened, but the process to get it done was long, arduous, taxing, and often dangerous so it wasn't common and it was always very expensive.
Magic items shoped are more akin to antiques dealers in my game; just because they have the POTENTIAL to have very high-level magic items doesn't mean they DO (it's always randomly rolled), and they do more refurbishing magic items and researching the history of the ones they have (to increase their value obviously) then creating new ones.

>If not (or not really) do you find there is much use for the gold/money that accumulates as medium levels start to approach?

This comes with the automatic assumption that gold DOES start to accumulate, and that defeating monsters and dungeons always comes with some kind of inherent monetary value attached when logically speaking a great many M&M monsters wouldn't really collect gold as they have no need for it at all. Not all monsters are dragons, arbitrarily hoarding treasure for reasons not particularly well-explained by fluff or setting.
Dungeons are more likely to hold valuable artifacts to sell then coinage, and magic items left over from wherever the civilization comes from, while monster's treasure pretty much defaults back to what kind of "treasure" you'd find in the area that the monster is found in if the monster has no real reason to collect gold or magic items or valuables.

Adventuring provides a modest income most of the time (mostly because it's basically small-scale or specialized mercenary work) with occasional examples have massive success as they take over Keeps on the Border Lands and become lords because the local regional governer needs SOMEBODY to watch over the area and develop it, so it might as well be the guys who took it over.
>>
>>43785268
>>43785287
>>43785298
So pretty much "Not really, go for it." Sweet
>>
>>43785159
I would mark it up in the private market to 150% the price listed in the DMG, which I need to check so I know what they are. I do also have traveling magic items merchants who sell at normal price but are rare to come by, roughly a 10% chance.

Also, there is only a 50% chance an item they are looking for will be sold there that week. This way if they want the item and it's not there they will have to either wait for it or try their luck in another capital city or try to find a traveling merchant.
>>
>>43785258
Not really game-breaking, but it would break the Ranger's poor, little heart.
>>
>>43785064
I always house-ruled that spears had reach anyway.
>>
>>43785064
Why do spears not have reach but whips do?
>>
I'm building a STR based fighter. I rolled 4d6, drop the lowest, and got 10/11/13/11/18/11.

Is the 18 (20 with race) in strength worth the lack of real modifiers for all the other skills or am I better off using point buy?
>>
>>43786014
*for all the other abilities

and I'm thinking mountain dwarf or dragonborn
>>
>>43786014

I think that's basically the same kind of array you could get with point buy. If you're cool with being a little fragile but hitting way harder than anyone else until you hit 4th level (at which point you can start boosting your Con more), go for it. In the long run you'll more or less even out (or come out a little ahead), but you'll kick the low levels in the face
>>
>>43786014
I would put the 18 in strength but go a not strength race for your stats... 18 is fine starting out, and you want to cover other bases.

if it was me I'd go non variant human but I understand if you are hesitant to do that.

that said if you want to play a strength race then go for it

maybe 18 it up in dex and play a half orc who uses a rapier or something idk
>>
What would be the best class split for a melee Oathbreaker/FiendLock overall? I'm poking around with Oathbreaker8/FiendLock12 for 5 ASI, Str+Cha+Cha to damage, 5th level recharge Smites, GWF, and some 5th level casting? Not for a character I'm playing but I just like making random characters
>>
>>43786232
On the one hand... oathbreaker 6 fiendlock 14 gets to hurl people through hell while still getting most of the goodies from paladin/antipaladin class. aura at 6 etc.

On the other hand... antipaladin 11 gets improved divine smite which is awesome, and you get 5th level slots at level 9 warlock.

on the other other hand... level 12 warlock as you've said gets +charisma to damage which is cool, but kind of the exact same as 1d8 to damage (avereage 4.5) so its a toss up.
>>
>>43786301
Oh yeah, forgot about improved Smite at level 11. Back to the drawing board
>>
File: john john.png (29 KB, 243x248) Image search: [Google]
john john.png
29 KB, 243x248
>>43786014
>I'm building a STR based fighter.
>I rolled 4d6, drop the lowest
gonna need to stop you right there bud
>>
>>43786332
What do you mean?
>>
>>43786362
hes probably just hating on rolling stats
>>
File: qxUi6rJ.jpg (53 KB, 520x781) Image search: [Google]
qxUi6rJ.jpg
53 KB, 520x781
>>43786014
18 in Str, 13 in Con, sorry about the rest of your stats. Just put the 10 in Dex and prepare to not be nimble in the slightest, get the heaviest armor you can, call it a day. Pump up your Con for more HP, round out the mental stat of your choice based on the character you're playing, leverage your high Str to rape the early levels until you get full plate at which point you're probably fine. Carry an extra healing potion to compensate for low HP until you can get some ability score ups to the Con.
>>
>>43786326
well like I said improved divine smite and lifedrinker are about even, so idk if it matters which one you get, though I would get one of the two as they're very powerful
>>
>>43786408
Decided on Improved Smite since it doubles on a crit as opposed to the steady bonus of Lifedrinker. This Pallock would easily be able to hold Person/Monster to set up nasty crits
>>
>>43786232
honestly it might not even be that bad to go 18 paladin 2 warlock and just use your two level 1 slots to cast bless, and pick up two useful invocations, and some SCAG cantrips

or 17/3 and do the same, but also get pact of the tome or pact of the chain and get either some cantrips off of the cleric list for buffs or the warlock list to fill out the new melee SCAG cantrips, or to have a wacky familiar.
>>
File: IMG_0073.jpg (96 KB, 432x671) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0073.jpg
96 KB, 432x671
>>43786448
technically the average of 1d8 even with a crit is slightly slightly lower than +5 if you had 20 charisma with lifedrinker.

but radiant damage is probably better than necrotic so ymmv
>>
File: IMG_0066.jpg (285 KB, 1224x1440) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066.jpg
285 KB, 1224x1440
>>43786478
also you probably wouldnt get to 20 charisma if you multiclass until the very very end game anyway, whereas you'll get 1d8 the minute you hit paladin 11 no matter your stats
>>
>>43786394
Rolling stats is a very fickle system and, unless you watch every player roll up all their stats, your gonna have that guy who claims to have rolled an 18 and two 16s. It's worse when it's a group of friends cause if you accuse them of cheating you become the asshole.

Of course rolling is as valid as point buy, and others can do as they please, but I prefer point buy because it's a bit more fair and impossible to cheat with.
>>
>>43786617
no i agree with you, idk if you're the guy i quoted or not, but i was just trying to explain what i thought >>43786332 meant

i kind of wish i was playing a game with rolling, but i agonize so much about character building that its hard for me to want to leave things to chance
>>
>>43786682
Nah I'm not that other guy. I'm just a lurker wanting to share my opinion, maybe see more people post because of something I posted and get this thread rolling a bit faster.

I did like rolling back when the cheater was the DM and I was the player but once I became the DM he started exploiting every minor mistake and every inch of leeway I presented. Honestly I got tired of his shit and killed his character last week. (Dont worry he did a lot of things worse than cheating and exploiting).
>>
Since the Ranger is apparently quite mediocre, if I wanted to play a ranger would I be better off just making a light armor fighter with the Survival skill?
>>
If I gave every player 1 free cantrip would it cause any major issues? I was thinking of giving out some spells and reflavoring them as mind powers, like Mage Hand being Telekinesis. Would I have to limit it to non-damaging spells?
>>
>>43786764
Ranger gets a bad rap online...

In the early levels it does pretty damn good, and stays alright until around 8 where its abilities start getting more and more niche and weak...

fighter and (hunter) ranger are pretty similar, but get a different toolkit to mess with.

i personally like low level ranger but haven't actually played one yet. i think my next character will be a hunter though. or i might just start multiclassing my rogue into it...
>>
>>43786791
>high elves btfo
>>
>>43786791
If you limit it to non-damaging cantrips, and make them roll for it, you basically have a rudimentary Wild Talent system.
>>
File: Genie5.png (249 KB, 661x700) Image search: [Google]
Genie5.png
249 KB, 661x700
The way I handled the magic item economy in my campaign: there was a genie that ran a pawn shop who you could trade two magic items in for a random one of the same 'type' or three magic items in for your choice of the same type.

So you trade in your +1 Trident, +1 Lance and +1 Kama for your +1 Polearm, or your eversmoking bottle and globe of light for a random trinket.

The genie also identified items for free with his genie magic.
>>
>>43786850
+1 trident, lance, and kama sound like a great toolkit
>>
>>43786764
Well if your wanting to play what will be stronger yes your better off playing an outlander fighter who wears light armor, but if your just playing for fun with friends and your DM isn't throwing you into the gauntlet, ranger will work out just fine. Honestly they are decent on damage early levels but they fall off around level 7 but they do have a lot of flavor.
>>
>>43786764
How important is spellcasting to you? Because if your DM allows UA material, you can trade in spellcasting for superiority dice and maneuvers, plus some other pretty decent survivalist stuff.
>>
>>43786866
I actually prefer to not rely on spellcasting so I might go with that then.
>>
>>43786764
Hunter+Deep Stalker rangers are fine. Not incredibly strong but won't be that noticeable. Can also do Spell-Less Ranger UA and that's fine as well.

Just do a ranger if you want to do it.
>>
>>43786857
He had a branch in every city, presumably including ones with Sahuagin, Knights and rice farmers who needed magic weapons.
>>
File: 1348224473304.jpg (9 KB, 301x288) Image search: [Google]
1348224473304.jpg
9 KB, 301x288
>>43786617
>not having your players roll every roll in view of you

it's like he's never been a DM lol
>>
File: the adventure is the prize.png (207 KB, 794x630) Image search: [Google]
the adventure is the prize.png
207 KB, 794x630
>>43786617
>cheating
>at a cooperative, social game
I never understand this. I've known one person who definitely did it and I can't understand how someone can be such a sad motherfucker.

You win nothing.

The only skills being tested are your ability to be a grimy bastard and everyone else's patience.

Might as well see how many times you can sit at the back of the bus masturbating without getting caught and get upset at the people who notice.
>>
>>43786925
I'm sorry that I've only DMed 2 games before this current one and I thought I could trust my friend?

>>43787074
Yeah I agree.
>>
>Rolled stats for characters
>Ended up with a druid with 18 wis but 6 int
How the fuck do I roleplay this? I chose druid so I can be a "savage" but how do I handle that int?
>>
>>43787276
An absolutely awful memory.

>Dory the Druid
>>
>>43787276
Insert joke about alcoholic natives here
>>
>>43787276
some references
>one int higher than an ogre, mimic, or shambling mound
>Same as an ettin, gargoyle, or Quaggoth
>One lower than an Half-ogre, harpy, or lizardfolk
>>
>>43787276
Shoddy long-term memory and horrendous problem solving skills. You've got a fully-loaded tri-layer toolbox, but you only ever use the hammer.
>>
>>43787276
>Dumber than a troll
You hunt. You hunt good. Trees your friend. Tree hide you from food and thing that make you food.
>>
File: Tarzan-2016-Movie[1].jpg (49 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
Tarzan-2016-Movie[1].jpg
49 KB, 620x320
>>43787276
You are tarzan with magic. Have fun.
>>
>>43787276
I actually have a video prepared for situations like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKIluDJ6FQU&list=PLZHUYcZse3nMLlJ0WoXixR4yCSilV4hud
>>
>>43786617
I've done 4d6 drop the lowest since as far as I can remember, and part of it has always been all the players and DM doing it together, in front of each other. It's implicit that someone can cheat, but even my current group of players who are all on their second character understand that having someone watch you roll is vital, yet doesn't make it any less fun for them.
>>
>>43787276
Lol, that was the exact idea for my next character: wild man / savage who knows earth magic and can shapeshift to hunt better.
>>
>>43785064

The quarterstaff dont have reach either.

If you must have spear with reach, take pike instead and fluff it as longspear.
>>
Alright, so I was reading the SCAG and I got really interested in running a game around Calimshan, Amn, Chult, or all three. What are some resources I can use to learn more in depth about these areas and their surrounding environs? So far I'm thinking basically to have a rich guy in Amn task the party to retrieve something from the jungles of Chult, like a rare plant, and then they come back and he fucks them. cue the ERP
>>
File: evil Marduk.jpg (478 KB, 1800x1263) Image search: [Google]
evil Marduk.jpg
478 KB, 1800x1263
i have four lvl6 players, what lvl should a NPC monk be to be a challenging boss? 20 sounds like too much

the players are a wizard, a monk, a druid, and a barbarian
>>
>>43788002
Just homebrew some lair/legendary actions and give him a nifty theme to use in the combat scenario.

Eg. Take a lvl 11 monk of a path of your choosing. Then give him a HP boost and shit like:
- double reactions
- immunity to knocked prone
- legendary action: flings a fan of daggers in a 15ft cone
- legendary action: fuses with the shadows to give resistance vs non-magical dmg until he takes dmg.

Just create some shit up. That was just improvised on the shadow monk idea. Give it a whirl. Also, learn from your creation. If it's overpowered vs them, see what caused the problems etc.
>>
>>43785347
I made an inquisitor/witch hunter/van helsing build that multiclasses paladin/fighter, with one level of warlock, to conjoin the use of Sacred Flame with use of a crossbow. It has okay ranged damage output, but its high accuracy is where it shines. It also has decent melee capability.
>>
>>43786014

Just use the Standard Array.
>>
File: 1420164847180.jpg (386 KB, 1220x900) Image search: [Google]
1420164847180.jpg
386 KB, 1220x900
>>43786764

The Ranger isn't as bad as neckbeards make it out to be. Thing is, a lot of its strength come from non-combat stuff; if you're doing some overland exploration campaign, the Ranger shines. If you're fighting bad guys in a series of 10x10 rooms, the Ranger is a bit pointless.

I'm running HotDQ for a couple friends right now. The Hunter Ranger is doing as well as the Oathbreaker Paladin.
>>
>>43788035
thanks, i think i'll use what you listed
>>
>>43785347
>>43788082
Here's the link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mavrvpc4lxljeo/Inquisitor.rtf?dl=0
>>
>>43788082
i've been thinking of using a monk who multi classes into ranger for a good witch hunter
>>
>>43788156
If you ever write it out, you should post it here! Also, check my link!
>>
>>43788126
This is pretty dope yo
>>
>>43788269
I've begun to develop a hobby of writing/statting out numerous builds that I'll probably never use, haha.
>>
>>43788321
Not a terrible hobby to have. Post them here! As long as their legally built and not homebrewed me and my players are always looking for new ideas.
>>
>>43788120
You can also give it the AngryDM treatment and split it into 3 tiered encounters. Split the HP into thirds and have a sequence trigger after he reaches 0 hp after the 1st and 2nd stages.

Eg.
1.Fight starts out normally with the stuff I wrote. After he "dies" he splits into X shadow forms and each moves behind a player. (X = player count)
2. Each shadow punches only the player it moved to. They all have resistance to non-magical dmg, only standard monk actions. (Each shadow has the same AC and the 1/3hp split among them).
3. After shadows die they fuse to a weakened monk who loses his shadow powers and relentlessly tosses knives and attacks until dead.

It's a cool way of breaking down an encounter.
>>
>>43788343
Well, I have one that multiclasses barbarian/warlock and abuses Glyph of Warding, which I rather liked, but I soon found out that Glyph of Warding didn't work the way I thought it did, rendering the build void. I have a pretty neat Lunatic (barbarian/paladin of a moon deity) build idea, which I've posted a link to here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxgrd7gil1bz4uc/the%20lunatic.rtf?dl=0
>>
>>43788404
This is good stuff! You've inspired me to do the same haha, time to hit the books.. well, after work tomorrow I guess, its bedtime for now.
>>
What's the best way to punish PCs who went full combat skills with very low RP skills? My group is basically a Monk and Barbarian who are armed to the teeth but can barely pass a DC 15 persuasion check and I want to mix up the combat heavy sessions we've had so far.
>>
>>43788917
When you explain it like that do you mean that they have very low charisma and therefore are unlikely to be able to roll to make a check? Or do you mean that they aren't really giving you anything to work with when talking to an NPC and expect you to hold their hand?
>>
>>43788953
Bit of both honestly
>>
>>43788917
Did you let them know one of them needed to make a Cha based class at the start? If not why are you punishing them?

Letting people make what they want and then going "Lol sucks to be you guys, let me screw you over for not doing what i want" is being pretty shitty.

Let one of them reroll a cha class or maybe they can hire a professional 'manager' of sorts that is their liason spokesperson type member.
>>
>>43788917
>Monk
>Wis focused
>Has proficiency in Insight
>Can't pass DC 15
Give him new dice
>>
>>43788404
but anon can you smite while raging?
>>
>>43788117
What annoys me about the ranger is how situational its out-of-combat stuff is. Not only do you not need wilderness skills in dungeons, but you also don't need it in towns or cities, or anywhere you can get to by following a road or well-marked trail. - and most of HotDQ consists of following roads. Even in adventures that do occur in the wilderness, the DM isn't going to just let the adventure fizzle out because nobody in the party could find the objective. Often the DM will just assume that you found the objective without a roll and brought enough rations for the trip because those aren't the important parts of the adventure.

And let's say the perfect storm happens and you're playing a wilderness adventure with a DM who is ready and willing to let the party get lost and starve to death if their survival skills aren't good enough. Even then it probably won't be in the ranger's favored terrain or against the ranger's favored enemies, and a rogue or bard with expertise in Survival can out-ranger the ranger.
>>
>>43789026
You can't cast spells or maintain concentration while raging.
Smite is neither a spell neither needs cocentration.
>>
>>43788990
I did tell them they should have charisma but they went full Str/Dex/Con dump and neither has particularly high Int/Wis/Cha. The barbarian barely roleplays as is and is basically a walking raging death machine, the Monk is alright but is mainly focused on keeping the Barbarian from just getting into fights with NPCs he shouldn't.

I'm really trying to punish the barbarian a bit by putting him in a situation where he can't fight his way through without intentionally putting him in a position for a TPK.

Only reason I let him get away with so much is because they're both my best friends and there's no other players they're inconveniencing most of the time.
>>
>>43788976
From what I've seen and done the former can be handled easier than the latter. If they actually attempt to communicate well or at least try to role play then you can set an appropriate DC based on how well they do or simple forgo having them make a roll if it's a reasonable argument.

On the other hand if they're making stupid demands, disrespecting the wrong people or simply unable to talk things out well here is how I see it.

They disrespected a noble or somebody important? Maybe they get thrown out of town, slapped with a fine, or make it much more difficult to make connections - they can strong arm all they want, but if their reputation is shot it's going to make it hard to get things done.

If you're going for straight up punishment maybe just make people not want to have much to do with them. Shop keepers watch them to make sure they aren't causing trouble in their shop, commoners tend to keep a distance, a guard might stop them randomly, maybe the only people that approach them with work are people looking for sellswords.

If all else fails you may just have to talk to them about it and let them know the more they interact the more you can develop the story - which is what everyone should want in the end.
>>
>>43789069
>Monk
>Str/Dex/Con
>Dumped Wis
>"They went full combat"
Not the monk, he went full retard
>>
>>43789054
It's also not even an action, so paladins can divine smite in the same turn that they cast one of their smite spells. I have no idea how Wizards thought this was balanced.
>>
>>43789114
>I have no idea how Wizards thought this was balanced.
>Paladin as a base class
It was never a good idea.
>>
>>43789114
Easy, they have few as fuck spells per day.
>>
>>43786501
Also, the 1d8 is with any melee weapon, not just your pact weapon.
>>
Is Ghostwise Halfling monk cheesy? I literally have no penalties for being halfling, while if I were other martial classes I would (no heavy weapons).
>>
>>43789254
Nobody's going to complain. Not like monks are exactly OP
>>
What's the best beastmaster ranger fix?

I kinda want to play something like pic related.
>>
>>43787276
This why the best roll system is base 6 across the board and then you roll 12d6 and every 2d6 is added to your base stat.
With that method you can't get lower than 8 or 7 if you count negative racial modifiers.
>>
>>43789254
It's an awesome combo. You are basically a kung fu midget kicking people in the shin.
>>
>>43788002
>2015
>statting 5e NPCs as PCs
shiggedy diggedy dee and dee
>>
>>43788917
Why are you actively trying to punish your players for building their characters a certain way if you allowed them to do so during character creation?
>>
>>43784878
I'm doing the super-unoriginal-at-this-point commoditized magic thing. A couple of my players didn't read the setting notes and got super pissed when the city watch was more-or-less as well equipped as they were at level one.

One thing I am proud of is that the presiding Wizards' Guild acts as less of an academic powerhouse and more as a combination of bureaucracy, licensing agency, and insurance adjuster. Wizards are subject to strict authorization requirements and testing, but are given more-or-less free reign to practice. Unlicensed wizardry is hunted down by their enforcers. Sorcerers and warlocks are typically not tolerated in civilized society.

Short answer is yes, minor magic items are commonplace, reasonably inexpensive, and nearly ubiquitous among all but the poorest and most remote individuals.
>>
Are there any powers, items or abilities that give a numerical bonus to a skill?
>>
http://merricb.com/2015/11/23/chris-perkins-on-upcoming-dd-storylines-and-products/

Perkins (and Mearls?) talked about future 5e stuff on some podcast, here's a summary someone posted.

Basic takeaways
>at least four storylines planned, two written and two in progress
>D&D's team (rules devs, story, licensing, etc.) amounts to 15 people
>no short adventure plans
>plan to publish campaigns that aren't 1-15
>want to mix it up whenever possible
>current release schedule is not going away (good)
>plan to move away from FR (also good)
>possible intrigue adventures in the future
>more setting books planned
>OotA takes place during the timelines of both HotDQ, RoT, and PotA (FR never settles the fuck down, apparently)
>>
>>43789142
Fair.
>>
So our DM has been using this for wild surges:
>http://centralia.aquest.com/downloads/NLRMEv2.pdf

Then this happened:
>The tallest person in the area grows by 50%

So I was playing a Goliath, and now he's over 12 feet tall. Should he now be large?
>>
>>43789632
Rogues and bards get expertise, which doubles proficiency bonus for a chosen skill. Purple Dragon Knight fighters from SCAG get a similar deal for Persuasion specifically.

Bards get jack of all trades, which lets them add half proficiency to all skills they aren't proficient in.

The Skilled feat lets you become proficient in three skills (doesn't really count but whatever).

Pass Without Trace gives +10 to Stealth checks.
>>
>>43789706
12 feet tall? Yeah that's large.
>>
>>43789706
Sounds pretty big.
>>
>>43789604
With all these items available do you have to throw out most CRs?

I find that players with multiple magic resources can handle "deadly " encounters (adjusted xp) without brushing against death.
>>
>>43789781
for you
>>
>>43789791
It sounds like you'd have to deal with it by upping the amount of anti-magic things. I mean if it's such a common place thing there is likely a high demand for defense against it. Likewise the villains would be more likely to employ such things like that.

>>43789604
Also just curious, why Sorcerers? I mean, I get Warlocks since they're going to some otherplanar entity for their powers, but Sorcerers (at least from the fluff and descriptions I've read) get their powers from dragon blood or are simply naturally gifted. Wizards jealous that somebody didn't have to study for a long time to become magically competent or something?
>>
One of my friends, playing a red dragonborn barbarian, argued that, since totem of the bear grants resistance, while raging, to all damage except psychic, and red dragonborn already have resistance to fire, that he should, as a result of double resistance, have immunity to fire damage while raging.

If a Barbarian has resistance to bludgeoning, piercng, and slashing damage while raging, with resistance from Totem of the Bear on top of that, does that mean a bear totem barbarian has IMMUNITY to bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage while raging!? Please say it ain't so.
>>
>>43789982
resistances do not stack. you can only apply resistance once to each damage type, period. It says so in the PHB.
>>
File: 495377879_42771703cb.jpg (67 KB, 400x373) Image search: [Google]
495377879_42771703cb.jpg
67 KB, 400x373
>>43789982
Resistance never stacks. You can't halve it again through resistance and it certainly doesn't turn into immunity. Tell your friend to read the fucking book and then read it yourself.
>>
>>43789707
There's an Ioun stone that raises your proficiency bonus.
>>
>>43790025
>>43790031
Alright, thanks. I'll tell him he's fucking off his rocker.
>>
File: it's right there faggot.jpg (439 KB, 974x882) Image search: [Google]
it's right there faggot.jpg
439 KB, 974x882
>>43790063
I've dealt with players like that and he's definitely going to whine and cry about it, so make sure you've got your evidence at hand. It's page 197 of the PHB under Damage Resistance and Vulnerability, last paragraph.
>>
>>43789791
Adjustments have to be made, sure; low-level encounters are hairier and most larger threats have at least some form of resistance. GMing takes work, but I enjoy it.

>>43789913
>Also just curious, why Sorcerers?
You hit one of the nails on the head with the jealousy thing: they're a regulatory agency. Natural talent is hard to regulate: born sorcerers are unheard of in civilized society largely because the guild locates and inducts most of them from an early age. I have a player who's playing a genteel sorcerer; he uses the sorcerer class, but his background is a twist on sage to reflect that his training was intended to suppress his natural volatility.

The other reason is that magic is extremely temperamental in-setting and its use has far-reaching side effects. The guild's stated mission is to avoid this by following strict rules; non-wizards are assumed not to follow these rules. The irony is that druids (who pretty much just serve as a conduit for nature's own magic) and warlocks (whose power is, for all intents and purposes, on loan) use methods that are considerably more reliable.
>>
>>43790125
Yeah, I actually just looked up the page in the index. I doubt he'll take it hard though, he probably just made a mistake. He's the DM of my current campaign.
>>
>>43790201
Ahh, so he's just mildly incompetent instead of a powergaming child. My bad.
>>
>>43789982
That's not how it works. But I'd allow it. Rename him totem of [insert draconic ancestor]And give him imunity to fire while raging, but no resistance to anything else. Make up for it with some other flavored bonus, like dragon breath recharge/boost or something
>>
Quickened Booming Blade + Blade Ward. Which sorcerous origin is this combo best with?
>>
>>43790667
Favored Soul.

If UA isn't allowed in your game, Dragon.
>>
>>43786617
That's why my group all gets together to build characters at the same time but we roll 3d6 in order after choosing race/class
>>
>>43784878

Anyone have problems with an un-satisfiable player? I have a player that was complaining about my game being too easy. Despite the fact that about 30% of the encounters were between dangerous and lethal. They're currently in a desert at level 6 so I homebrewed the Purple Worm as a template and made a Sandworm. Lowered the damage, attack rolls, and the DCs of everything.

It's got 90HP max, with the idea that there are supposed to be 2 of them. +6 attack on the bite for 1d8+4 damage, DC 13 to not get swallowed. Sting is 1d8 and 1d6 if you fail the poison save. It's got an AC of 15 and is really not that hard to fight. The party's monk and cleric fought one by themselves.

He got a shitty roll of 2 on the save to not get swallowed, and died the turn before it died. He's been bitching at me ever since saying I made the game too hard by having these sandworms come in pairs (I've only used the encounter that one time) and says he's going to make "The most broken cleric ever".

How do I handle this guy? He seems to think that a Tiefling Cleric is the most broken thing ever, when we have a Paladin that's dealing a little under 100 damage a round at level 6.
>>
>>43790821
Oh, the guy bitching at me made an Eldritch Knight with a 12 in INT and always complained about his spells never doing anything too.

He decided at chargen to make and Eldritch Knight and put his good rolled stats into CHA, STR, and DEX. He had a 12 in INT and CON with a 13 in WIS.
>>
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about ranger's beastmaster archetype.

But how about hunters? Are they good? They seem pretty good, but since no-one in my group has played one, they can't really help me.
>>
>>43790959
One of my players is using a Feral Tiefling Hunter. In combat, it is pretty good with dual wielding rapiers and a stock of throwing darts, granted the party Paladin outdamages him regularly. What it seems to do very well is zapping around the battlefield picking weakened targets and shredding them. Very good skirmisher all around and nifty tricks for all situations.
Of course out of combat is the usual ranger goodies, played out as Geralt in his investigation moments in The Witcher 3.
>>
>>43790819
THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>43788082
Hex only gives disadvantage on ability checks, not saving throws. That's not a correct build by the RAW.
>>
How do you guys run a homebrew campaign without meticulously planning every single encounter and player decision?
>>
File: no regrets.jpg (93 KB, 793x793) Image search: [Google]
no regrets.jpg
93 KB, 793x793
>>43791108
I regret nothing.
>>
>>43790821
>>43790850

Your player is retarded. I don't know how he could claim your game is too easy with a character built like that.

Why does he think a tiefling cleric is so good? And how is your paladin doing 100dpr that early?
>>
>>43791165
With extensive knowledge of the monsters manual and deep understanding of how my players think, both In an Out Of Character.
>>
>>43791342
Maybe it is because of the SCAG changes giving flying speed to tieflings.
Maybe he isn't just that bright.
>>
>>43791596
>giving flying speed to tieflings.
>Maybe he isn't just that bright.
Seconded, especially since you gotta trade in a bunch of other shit for your wings. They're not a freebie.
Then there's asshole DMs like me who solve the tiefling problem by not allowing them, remove special snowflake demonspawn, also aasimar/dragonborn/genasi fuck off, too.
>>
>>43791673
I don't get how that makes you an asshole DM. Your campaign, your rules, you control the tone of the campaign and setting at your table.

Now, if you were keeping that shit a secret or being shitty to people who want to play those things, *that'd* make you an asshole.
>>
>>43791342
He's using some cheese build involving mounts. I checked the math and it was legitimate. I counter act it by killing his mount regularly. Also, the rest of the party was well built and well rolled, so he just sat in the corner never getting hit because he was never a threat.

>>43791673
>>43791596
Holy shit that's a thing? That's dumb. I also do not want to limit races, but I hate Tieflings so much I'm considering it.
>>
>>43791342
>And how is your paladin doing 100dpr that early?
I think he was speaking in hyperbole.

But let's do the math anyway.
Assuming no magic items like god intended

Two Attakcs/Round with
Great Sword/Maul 2d6 (max 12)
GWF rerolls 1s&2s keeps averages up but no effect on max
Divine Smite with 2nd level slot +3d8 (+max 24)

so if total max per hit is 36 then he would have to be getting at least one crit per round and be rolling absolute fire to near or potentially exceed 100DPR but he would be expending all of his level 2 slots to do it.
>>
>>43791673
Well as long as I am not going warlock, I would gladly barter a cantrip and 1/day darkness for wings. Granted, it is a good cantrip, but flying on a, say, rogue or ranger with the feral tiefling stat increase appeals more to me.
And don't discount "weird" races, as always it is all up to the setting. Right now the party here is Feral Tiefling Ranger, Tiefling Warlock, Goliath Paladin, Dragonborn Cleric and an Aasimar Druid that has no clue about being a celestial scion. But since the setting has a very important spot for all those races instead of being just "humans errywhere and a couple of other races here and therr", it is working wonderfully. Don't get me wrong, I had also games in a mostly human world with a mostly human party, it just depends on the setting.
>>
>>43791771
There is nothing wrong in banning settings. In my actual game (>>43791813 this one) all elves disappeared centuries ago, and there are no more mages even, so both that class and that race are off limits. It is your setting, man, as long as it makes sense for a better game go for it.
>>
>>43791866
>banning races
Not settings, races, sorry, meant races. Or even classes too.
>>
>>43791866
>>43791876
Yeah, doesn't the DMG even have a bit all about how that can make for interesting and memorable settings?
>>
>>43791900
Does it? I guess it does.
I have to say, I found it to be a good dm guide, but I read so many of those that I started just caring about the mechanical bits and ignoring the fluff and roleplaying/worldbuidling advices.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 500x282
Should the player or DM control/role play retainers from the knight background?
>>
>>43791813
>And don't discount "weird" races, as always it is all up to the setting.

> makes auteur setting full of sue races
> no elves, though, so it's aright
>>
>>43791165
Never plan more than two steps ahead.

Keep a link to the kobold.club encounter calculator on hand at all times.

Give the bad guys general plans and adjust them after each session accordingly.
>>
>>43791951
I would say the player defines their personalities, the master plays them but talks it out with the player every once in a while.
>>
>>43791965
Just because you don't like something, it doesn't make it shit. I don't want all of my settings to look the same, incredible, isn't it?
I also trust my players not to be silly mary sue. As of today they never failed me so why care about it.
>>
>>43791165
A session at a time. I never put in more than 3 encounters or story based situations into my plans because the party will fuck it all up somehow.

And I love every minute of it.
>>
>>43791951
Well the knight would certainly be able to order his retainers around but the GM "plays" them.

I ran a game with a knight and the retainers really just cheered him on from the sidelines.

>Good hit m'lord!
>Remember to swing with the hips m'lord!
>>
File: Kingsman_jelenetfoto (32).jpg (104 KB, 1600x667) Image search: [Google]
Kingsman_jelenetfoto (32).jpg
104 KB, 1600x667
>>43792013
It's called "bait," boss. Wasn't even well-hidden. Don't reply, and it goes away.

You need to get that chip off your shoulder.
>>
>>43792072
>old butler approaching him as soon as he dispatch an enemy with a towel and a "very well done sir, may I suggest you to deal with the hobgoblin on the right now?"
Priceless.
>>
>>43792090
I was a fish then.
>>
>>43791965
Are Goliaths a sue race?
I've never heard of an edgy Goliath before.

>>43792109
He also had a pet mule which he forbade from being made to carry anything.
During down time the retainers were always described to be making sure that it was kept well groomed and fed.
>>
>>43792197
Goliaths are for folks too special to play half-orcs, son.
>>
>>43792090

Mark Strong should be in more things.
>>
>>43786791
Bumping this for a new crowd, still trying to find out if it's going to break the game.
>>
>>43792285
Are they though? I figure that half-orcs are more of a sue race due what with the, potentially, rape based backstory.

Goliaths are just tall mountain tribals who value "pulling your own weight" over "might makes right".
>>
>>43792460
This is 5e. Haven't you heard? Orcs aren't rapists anymore.
>>
>>43792516
Lies and slander!
>>43792460
Goliath are fancy for a "noble savage" or traveller from a distant land background. I have to say, they really go well with the far traveller background in SCAG.
>>
>>43792697
It's true; they were misspelling "Trappist" the entire time.

Orks are fantasy-Belgian brewmonks now. Grummsh is mad because dwarfs stole his gimmick and elves just drink wine and rails.
>>
>>43784878
Am I wrong in assuming pic related would be an extremely fun Bard/Rogue multiclass?
>>
>>43792744
I know it is true, I am just in denial.
Also gruumsh behaves like a 4chan shitposter, why isn't it surprising at all? To be fair I never liked the "all orcs are evil because their god costantly compels them to do so". And now what, you keep the evil calling of gruumsh, and take away the rape? That was the only funny part! Rape, pillage and burn is what ye olde orcisch economy is about!
>>
>>43792878
>Orcish economy
I'm on a phone, but someone should post that Crying Orc's Slave Trading Post cap.
>>
File: Teratogenetrix.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Teratogenetrix.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So, I've been working on a weird body horror themed class for some reason (I kind of started it on a whim, and have kept working on it because, well, I started it so I'm going to finish it). I've kept it to the magical realm homebrew thread since while I didn't really write it to be anybody's magical realm I know it's too weird for most people, but since that thread is past bump limit and I don't see much point in starting a new one, I'd ask for some feedback here.

See, I wrote the class originally for 3.5/PF, and decided to port it to 5th edition because I liked the multiple archetypes/specialisations classes have in 5th. However, I don't really know anything about 5th edition so I've been doing this based on second hand knowledge and leafing through the 5th edion rulebook and monster manual. So I'd like to know if there are any glaring errors I should fix, and just how broken this is (It's mostly written for a class that could be given to a BBEG since it would be unsuited for normal PCs anyway, so I considered balance a secondary concern, after "that sounds like it'd be cool/creepy, let's add it in!").
>>
>>43792872
He's not very good at either.

>Runs a huge spy network
>Gets the chance to befriend a simpleton who happens to be in the constant company of two of the most powerful people in the city
>doesn't take advantage if it at all and is ready to just kill the guy
>>
>>43793129
note that I said fun, not successful :D
>>
I want to play an aquatic half-elf Druid of the Coast with the swim speed variant for a "pirate" themed game. Where do the aqua elves hail from in Forgotten Realms and is that far enough away to justify the far traveller background? If not what other background should I grab?
>>
>>43793244
They're from all over the place. You could pretty much just pick a spot on the coast and say there are sea elves there. Some of them even live in a fucking lake on Cormanthor.
>>
>>43793029
Fetish fuel notwithstanding:
> d12 hit dice on what is effectively a summoner
You've already fucked up.
>>
>>43793410
I should probably reduce the HD. It's a leftover from the 3.5 version which is intented to be essentially a melee class that also summons, but in 3.5 you have to content with CoDzilla and God-Wizard, while 5th edtion is from what I understand considerably lower power level.

Would d8 be a reasonable HD? I still intent the class to be somewhat durable, and one of the archetypes is melee-focused.
>>
File: Ulises_31.jpg (66 KB, 441x596) Image search: [Google]
Ulises_31.jpg
66 KB, 441x596
>4 member group formed by:
>Old bearded wise guy GOO warlock who doesn't get along with his patron
>Retard comic relief warforged (tries to be Optimus but behaves more like Bumblebee), Druid
>Female Halfdrow who doesn't understand the surface dwelers, Ranger
>And the youngest member is a kid (his picture is literally Sigfried) who thinks he's too cool for us, Fighter
>Tfw just now I realized we're pic related
So...how is my group going to react when I show them pic related?
>>
File: Dogma.jpg (574 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Dogma.jpg
574 KB, 1280x720
>>43792072
>Wolves hunt in packs!
>They're armed, master!
>Beware the Harpy's song!
>Wolves hunt in packs!
>Fire works well!
>It hates fire!
>Wolves hunt in packs!
>>
How do I have my PCs fight rust monsters without my melee classes getting rectal ravaged?

Assuming they don't make a check to see if they recognize the beast as they usually don't.
>>
What can I throw in encounters to give hack-and-slash players more stuff to play with in the terrain?

I had a tavern brawl with lots of chairs and tables around, an open fire, some holes in the ground to the floor below, etc. I thought this created lots of opportunities to throw things, create cover, cause extra damage, and so forth. But the general response was essentially, "Why throw a chair at someone for 1d4 damage or knock them down a hole for 1d6 damage, when I'm proficient with my greatsword and it does 2d6?"
>>
>>43785258
Smite specifically says, "when you hit a creature with a MELEE WEAPON ATTACK" not a melee attack.

I would read this to allow thrown weapons since they aren't intrinsically "ranged weapons"
>>
>>43793889
Don't remember me those fuckers.
>>
>>43794015
But you also have to look at the spirit of the ability.

Conceptually, an arrow is just a really tiny spear so if you were to hold it and stab someone with it, you ought to be able to smite them.

In which case, the spirit of the ability becomes that Paladin has to be constantly touching the weapon in order to continue infusing it with divine power. Thus, as soon as it leaves his hand, the link is broken and the weapon is no longer infused.
>>
>>43794015
Thrown weapon attack is still a Ranged weapon attack, so it doesn't work.
>>
>>43794015
Throwing a weapon with the thrown property is a ranged weapon attack, not a melee weapon attack. Therefore no Smite
>>
>>43794012
It's a tavern brawl, they would be looked poorly upon if they killed men trying to fight with fisticuffs.
>>
>>43794015
>>43794099
>>43794123
>What does “melee weapon attack” mean: a melee attack with a weapon or an attack with a melee weapon?
>It means a melee attack with a weapon. Similarly, “ranged weapon attack” means a ranged attack with a weapon. Some attacks count as a melee or ranged weapon attack even if a weapon isn’t involved, as specified in the text of those attacks. For example, an unarmed strike counts as a melee weapon attack, even though the attacker’s body isn’t considered a weapon.
>Here’s a bit of wording minutia: we would write “melee-weapon attack” if we meant an attack with a melee weapon.
>>
>>43794150
In context, it was a clear fight to the death at a tavern ran by enemies who wanted the PCs killed. Most of them had and were using weapons too, but a few were throwing chairs from the sidelines.
>>
>>43793933
if they see a monster they don't recognize and cant identify, but still charge it, they deserve to lose their gear. Besides, outside of plate armor, most metal gear is easily replaceable.
>>
>>43794012
Give additional effects to using environmental attacks, like have falling down the hole knocks them prone or throwing a chair disarms them or something.
>>
>>43793757
Also, while I'm at it, I think I should redesign the 3rd "talent tree", as I'm not very happy with it. Not only does it have what I'd consider the most "questionable" abilities, it's kind of unfocused. I could make it entirely about mind-affecting and debuffing abilities, but I'd need a good replacement for the 10th and 14th level abilities.
>>
>>43794248
>>43793933
And even if neither the players nor the characters know what rust monsters are, they're gong to lose one item at most before switching to ranged weapons and spells and keeping the rogue in the front.
>>
File: hoard.jpg (558 KB, 1400x1832) Image search: [Google]
hoard.jpg
558 KB, 1400x1832
>The Black Dragon: The adventure tells us point blank that the PCs should not go face-to-face with the dragon Voaraghamanthar and notes that the PCs will likely encounter this dragon in The Rise of Tiamat. Voaraghamanthar is not used again in either book.

How does a mistake like this even happen? Did they just forget to include them?
>>
>>43794515
"Tyranny of Dragons" is the worst of the official 5e questlines. Accept it.
>>
>>43794515
Deadlines, bruv.
>>
>>43792516
>>43792878
>orcs don't rape in 5th edition
Says who?
>>
Why is it so hard to roleplay a fucking druid? God dammit... It doesn't help either that they don't do much in until they get conjure animals. You do even LESS if you pick land druid.

Fuck... Is magic stone cantrip any good? Basically, its like ranged shiliegh or whatever.

I am trying to figure out which druid spells actually have use.. So many concentration spells. Why the fuck would I take dark vision? All these shit spells eating up my spell slots. I think the most value spell I have used so far is conjure animals.. everything else feels like crap and I hate the lack of control druids have over their spells. If I cast spike growth, it pretty much fills most rooms which in turn fucks our team up.
>>
>>43795014
You seem to be confused there, pal. You asked why it's hard to roleplay a druid and then complained about spell mechanics.
>>
>>43795147

spell mechanics can be a part of roleplaying though. Its harder to roleplay as a druid because all their "RP" cantrip spells are fucking ass and don't do much. Druidcraft has NOTHING on presdigitation.
>>
>>43795014
Yeah, what >>43795147 said. I don't understand how roleplaying is related to those mechanics.

Roleplaying-wise what are you having problems with? Motivation? Predilections, habits?

I mean, *maybe* what their M.O. or S.O.P. is supposed to be, but that only just brushes up against most of your post.
>>
>>43795283
>Can predict the fucking weather
>It's shit though because it can't turn my food purple XD
>>
>>43794599
>>43794989
Are the two Tyranny questline books worth 20$ each? I just placed an order for Pota and Oota, (which should be the names for a pair of twin gnome mercenaries causing trouble) because I heard they were much better than Tyranny. At the same time, I wouldn't mind picking up the two dragon books just to have a complete 5e collection.
>>
>>43795321

Predicting weather is for the most part, unimportant and not worth a cantrip slot.

>>43795315
I mostly have trouble feeling distinct I guess. I have played a moderate amount of 5e and I feel like I am playing the same character despite picking different classes and races.
>>
>>43795409
>Are the two Tyranny questline books worth 20$ each?
No.

Running them well is too much of a pain in the ass, and the cover art is just "lol dragon."
>>
File: hoppy merchant.jpg (29 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
hoppy merchant.jpg
29 KB, 960x540
>Is there a magic item economy in your game/setting at all?
Only sort of. Non-divine magic has been heavily suppressed in this setting, with it only creeping out of the shadows now that certain events have come to pass. Magic items are still an underground economy, with no guarantee of finding anything you want and a lot of risk involved in even looking for one. The people selling this stuff are extremely shady, and the best dealer the PCs know is pic related. The people making new magic items are far, far worse. Basically, it's occasionally possible to buy something nice but it's rarely what you were looking for, and you might be in for more than you bargained for.
>If not (or not really) do you find there is much use for the gold/money that accumulates as medium levels start to approach?
Sure there is. Players were quick to snap up more expensive stuff when the need presented itself. Stuff like boats and hirelings, along with useful mundane items, keeps them spending.
>>43786764
Not really, the ranger is a lot better than people give it credit for. Its higher level abilities are a bit lackluster but that doesn't even matter for the majority of campaigns.
>>43791165
Plan less, not more. Meticulous planning will either bring about extreme railroading or derail the game severely as the players do something you did not plan for and you have nothing prepared. Aim to have specific themes and goals and villains but nothing much more than that. Basically, it's your job to throw obstacles in the player's path as they try to achieve their goals, it's not your job to decide how players should overcome each obstacle.
>>43793933
Do you hate your players? If not, I suggest just not having rust monsters in the first place. If you must have them, give the PCs some clue about what they do beforehand - show them eating their way through iron bars or something.
>>
>>43795437
That honestly sounds more like the problem is just that you're not a very creative person. If every character you play feels the same, you need to stop re-making the same bland character. Start by trying to create an interesting character concept and build from that, even if it means making a few sub-optimal choices mechanically.
>>
>>43795478
That's a shame. I've seen mixed reviews for SCAG, too. That one entices me more since I only started getting into D&D about 5 years ago and am only recently starting to DM. I know I can pirate PDFs of these, but I like to support products I like every now and then. Also, it keeps electronics away from the playing table if I can open up a book and point to a rule/fact/info, which I have always preferred.
>>
>>43794215
Force them to fight hand to hand.
>>
>want to have a fleshed out character sheet to impress qt DM
>cant draw
>no drawing that matches my character
Any ideas?
>>
>>43794012
Collapsing sections of buildings, precariously perched boulders, long falls and traps all make excellent environmental threats. If your players don't notice / don't care, you can always have enemies try and take advantage of them.
>>
>>43795905
>boards.4chan.org/tg/catalog
>ctrl+f "draw thread"
>>
>>43795979
I thought of everything except for that. I appreciate your help buddy.
>>
>>43795437
What characters have you played, and have you had the same DM every time you've played 5e?
And do you ever play non-D&D RPGs?

It sounds to me like it might be genre fatigue or a lackluster DM.
>>
>>43795696
The SCAG is getting mixed reviews because they hyped it up as the book with lots of big new powerful player options in. When actually most of those options aren't particularly more powerful than ones already in the game and most of the book is setting lore for DMs.
>>
>>43796294

define "powerful player options".
>>
>>43793757
>>43794428
Don't confuse a single reply with any real interest in helping you with your smutclass.
>>
>>43794015
I've got a ranged pally in our group. Here's how we ruled it:

Melee smite: spend the spell slot when making the damage roll.

Ranged smite: spend the spell slot when making the attack roll.
>>
How is hold person not the cheesiest early game spell in the game? paralyzed is a incredibly powerful status effect.

How do DM's defend against LE BALANCED PARALYZING SPELL OF HUMANOID RAPE?!
>>
>>43796608
It breaks easily and uses concentration. If you're using groups of enemies, send a few arrows at the casters.
>>
>>43796608
First of all, your interrobang is backwards. Second of all, the target gets to make a save at the end of each of their turns, meaning they should have plenty of chances to escape unless the party is focus-firing on that specific creature. And finally, it's a concentration spell. Any humanoid enemies with an int above 8 should know to geek the mage first.
>>
>>43796608
Give it to your spellcasters?
>>
>>43793816

seems like a perfect comparison

>warforged druid
>>
>>43795905
Just how qt is this DM?
>>
>>43795905
Trace.
>>
File: Warforged Druid.jpg (59 KB, 767x1032) Image search: [Google]
Warforged Druid.jpg
59 KB, 767x1032
>>43796699
>>
>>43796745

if he isn't this i wouldn't let him play it.
>>
>>43796608

just kill the guy in robes first.
>>
>>43796608
Wisdom save proficiency.
>>
I just got done shitting on a DM's boss encounter with hold person. Solo Boss fights are CHEESE city with hold person.

FUCK DM's encounters. I AM THE GOD OF FUCKING YOUR ENCOUNTERS. I wipe my ass with bosses.
>>
>>43797181
Dm just needs to make the boss immune to cheesy shit like that. Its like in games when you get a death spell, it always fails on bosses.
>>
>>43796608
>>43797181
Did you not get enough replies the first time?

Anyway I hope you wussy DM throws some monsters at you and shows you what for.

Or even some guy with legendary resistance if it's supposed to be a boss.

God damn.
>>
>>43797181
>>
>>43797308

I want anime to die.
>>
File: where do you think we are boss.jpg (221 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are boss.jpg
221 KB, 700x525
>>43797348
>>
>>43796294
Well, as someone new to DMing and relatively uninformed on the Forgotten Realms, that sounds like some nice reading material. I can see why people more experienced might be less impressed.
>>
is there anyway to make slings good? I like that magic stone cantrip as a druid. but it doesn't ever seem to scale up. My casting stat is already +5
>>
>>43796333
New races and classes that were mechanically powerful.
>>
>>43797580
> full caster
> can turn into a goddamn bear
> complains about a cantrip topping out
> slings
Git gud.
>>
>>43796601
Underrated post.
>>
If the Realms are Forgotten, why does Wizards keep writing about them?
>>
>>43797700

I didn't pick moon druid. YOU POWER GAMING FUCK!
>>
New classes when
>>
>>43797962
'cause they keep forgetting that they've forgotten and writing more.
>>
>>43798106
We'll probably get Psion as a new class and then hopefully that's it forever. Most anything you could want to play can be done as an archetype of an existing class.
>>
>>43798126
Meldshapers?
>>
>>43798126
I swear to god if the published artificers are a wizard subclass...
>>
>>43798126
>there will never be another int based class

It's literally the only stat that is important to one class, and two sub-classes.
>>
>>43798382

Bring back Expert, WotC!

>skill monkey
>double proficiency in a few skills
>some Ranger-esque combat advantages because they know about enemies
>>
>>43798382
>>43798352
I guess I could see an artificer as its own class. Hadn't occurred to me.
>>
>>43798498
>>some Ranger-esque combat advantages because they know about enemies

So... none?
>>
>>43798518
Rangers still have favored enemies. Granted they don't get in-combat bonuses against them until 20th-level, but hey.
>>
>>43790850
>Good stats are in cha, str, and dex
>Still has 2 12's and a 13.
What?
>>
>>43798498
>Building Favored Enemy into the power calculations for your class.
Disgusting. Give them the Hunter tree if you want something that's like Favored Enemy but actually applicable outside of narrow situations.
>>
>>43798034
Chill, anon; not his fault you chose slings.

Snarf snarf.
>>
>>43798126
> Psion for sure
> Everything else is an archetype
Your beautiful fucking psion will end up being a sorcerer archetype.
The other shoe gonna drop, anon.
>>
>>43798797
I'd be alright with that. Though they did release the first 5 levels of a Psion in one of the last UAs that you could argue wasn't totally phoned in. I give it good odds of that class making it to print, the community reaction seemed positive.
>>
>>43791108
Instead of randomized rolls during combat, I use a point-buy system. You know, so everything's fair and above board and nobody gets butthurt about who rolls shitty.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.