[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it BROO-jah or BROO-hah?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: LogoClanBrujah.png (82 KB, 500x509) Image search: [Google]
LogoClanBrujah.png
82 KB, 500x509
Is it BROO-jah or BROO-hah?
>>
Brooyah.
>>
Outdated
>>
How do you pronounce Tzimisce, anyway? I've been falling on "ZIH-miss" myself.
>>
>>43784495
>BROO-hah?

That's how I've always heard it pronounced, like in Spanish.
>>
>>43784495
Creo que sería Broo-jah
>>
>>43784495
According to Jack in Bloodlines, its BROO-hah
>>
>>43784678
Zi-mi-see for me.
>>
>>43784495
BROO-hah is how I pronounce it
Mostly due to >>43784716
>>
>>43784724
I hate the people who pronounce it Zi-meet-see
>>
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.games.whitewolf/Ci5_7_6S09g

Additionally, they have the proper pronunciations on the White Wolf pages.
>>
>>43784755
Me too, because there's no damn t in there. That's why I just say mi-see, like missy.
>>
>>43784760
>Shim-EE-see
That's fucking stupid man
>>
>>43784771
It's probably the "sc" that makes people think the sound is cut off, like the short "tsu" in Japanese.
>>
>>43784830
I'm always interpreted that as a slightly drawn out s because of English words like scintillating.
>>
>>43784495
It has to be BROO-hah, otherwise my concept 'Brujadist' doesn't work as a pun.
>>
>>43784678
ZEE-mee-tSHEE
>>
>>43785780
Where are you getting that phantom t?
>>
>>43784828
There is a language that works like this when transliterated into english. I wanna say its Greek, but I can't say for sure.
>>
>>43785790
In Hungarian and some south slavic languages 'c' is pronounced as 'ts'
I always found that made sense for Tzimisce
>>
Brujah themselves probably have this same argument every night.
>>
>>43784495
Bruh-jia is how i say it

Broo-ha is how it really sounds, since it's spanish
>>
>>43787700
It's not REALLY Spanish though, isn't it? Isn't that the problem with most of the names? The fact that they are odler than most of the languages that have ever been spoken.
>>
>>43787683
>The great split of Troille's lineage from the True Brujah started as a discussion about proper pronunciation
>>
>>43787766
The clans are older but the names change iher time. Toreador used to be Daeva, Giovanni used to be Capadocians. Times change.
>>
>>43787766
well Brujah is an actual word in spanish, and since it's the closest thing we have, i'll stick to that
>>
>>43787813
>Giovanni used to be Capadocians

That was less "times change" and more "We are starting our own clan, with blackjack and hookers. Actually just necromancy and incest"

The Capadocians were wiped out by the Giovanni
>>
>>43787813
The Capadocians didn't really become the Giovanni, though, they got murdered and replaced.
As for Toreador, is that a nWoD thing? Haven't read anything about that. I'm also pretty certain that most Clans are just named after their Antediluvians and those haven't been in the habit of changing their names in the last 2000 years or so.
>>
>>43784495
Its

BRAA YEEAH
>>
Sweden here.
Broo-jah
Tsi-MEE-si

Spanish sounds like shit.

Great to have a VtM thread, by the way, I hate and boycott the WoD generals.
>>
>>43784495

broo-ʒah, like the french J or the fuzzy S in "pleasure"
>>
>>43784495
It's the sound of an explosion and then a bunch of sniggering teenagers.
>>
File: file.png (716 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
file.png
716 KB, 600x600
>>
>>43784495
If you are going by the spanish pronunciation then
Broo-hah
Which is the feminine form of the word witch
>>
>>43784678
Tsi-mee-see.

Only because of tzatziki.
>>
I actually know some of the old VtM developers, and a long time ago, I asked them.

>>43784495
>>43784689

(BROO hah), as in "brouhaha" which means a mass fight. It was meant as a play on words, using the spanish word for witch and marrying it to the english word for a brawl.

>>43784678

With Tzimisce, you start with a hard "Zh" sound which isn't in the english language. Somewhere between "Z" and "SH". Say it with a cheesy pseudo-slavic accent and you'll be close.

(zhi MEE see) is the correct way to say it. I've heard just about every other possible variation, but that's what White Wolf intended.

While we're at it, it's (sah BAHT).
>>
>>43787825
>>43787813

One thing they did a couple times in V:DA was to make different clan names, but then have the modern name appear as the slang nickname for that clan. I wish they did that more, it really played well.

The Brujah are all descendants of Troile, who destroyed the original Brujah clan founder. They supposedly kept the original clan name (though I'd prefer to think that the original clan name is forgotten). Either way, they see themselves as having staged a coup and taken over the Brujah rather than destroying the clan and replacing it with something new.

The Tremere are all descendants of artificial vampires created via magic. At best, you could say that they're descended from the mixed blood of gangrel, nosferatu, and tzimisce... which might technically make them caitiff, but really simply makes them their own thing. They picked a clan and attacked it, committing mass diablerie on them, obviously especially on Saulot himself. They destroyed the Salubri clan to legitimize their own, but they were clearly separate clans.

So one was a coup to take over a clan, and the other was an attack to destroy one clan and create a new one. The Capadocian/Giovanni distinction falls in between. The Giovanni were all originally Capadocians. So in that sense they were like the Brujah. OTOH, the clan changed significantly in its nature once the diablerie was over. In that sense, they're more like Tremere.

There's another clan like this, depending on what oWoD books you read and take as canon. The leader of the Assamite Antitribu is 3rd generation (he committed diablerie upon the Lasombra clan founder). Every century, a new fourth generation Assamite Antitribu commits ritual diablerie on his predecessor and gets to lead the clan for a century. And yet, the Assamite antitribu do not consider themselves to be a separate clan from the Assamites, nor do the Lasombra consider themselves to have been replaced.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.