[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cards Against Humanity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: i20^cimgpsh_orig.png (496 KB, 543x960) Image search: [Google]
i20^cimgpsh_orig.png
496 KB, 543x960
I love this game.. A needed release from being PC 24/7.
>>
File: cnr against humanity.jpg (47 KB, 700x530) Image search: [Google]
cnr against humanity.jpg
47 KB, 700x530
>>43781295
>tfw you realize Cards Against Humanity is the Match Game of tabletop games
>every question either has an extremely obvious answer or no funny answer at all
>on the obvious ones, nobody has the funny answer in their hand, so you get garbage replies
>on the other ones, the host just sits there and stares at the cards they've been given, trying to come up with something funny to say about the situation
>they desperately say some unfunny nonsense
>everybody halfheartedly laughs because nobody wants to be the one to admit the game sucks

Real talk: A lot of the supposed humor of CaH comes from the shock value of the cards you draw, and the cards you play. You pick up "Mecha Hitler" and you kind of think, "hah, that's pretty weird. Nobody's going to see this one coming." And you get a little chuckle from thinking about what a non sequitir it'll be when somebody asks "What is the most delicious?" and you answer Mecha Hitler.

There's two problems with this. One, obviously, is that the game runs out of steam. The more times you play it, the less funny it gets. But the second problem is that the decks seem to be just brimming with references that nobody at the table understands. Or only half the players understand. Or everybody except the person with the black card understands. You could read every card in the game and take out all the ones that are stupid, but then you're ruining that shock value for yourself! And the cards that nobody understands are going to be different depending on who you play with, so there's no good answer here.

If you've ever drawn a card and been like, "What even is this? Do I ask the table what this is? Then I'd be giving away what card I have..." Then you know how stupid this is. Or if you've flipped over four cards and one of them means nothing to you, but one player is trying to explain how it totally makes sense if you've ever seen that movie or whatever, then you know how it fucks the rules up.
>>
File: 1444944655449.png (32 KB, 149x263) Image search: [Google]
1444944655449.png
32 KB, 149x263
>>43781820
A well composed answer.
>>
>>43781820
>runs out of steam

That's pretty much the problem for me. It's fun the first time, but meh.
>>
>>43781820
>>Casual player.
>>
Only fun with custom decks anymore. The hurr hurr hurr shock value gets extremely old after you've seen "two midgets shitting in a bucket" and "chunks of dead prostitute" played 500 times.
>>
>>43781295
Say Anything is like "what if you took the concept of Apples to Apples but just let people write in the answers every time?"

As a result, it's less focused on being silly or dark and more focused on just coming up with an answer people will enjoy. Some answers will be insightful, some will be thought provoking, some will be silly, crude, or black humor, and the whole time, nobody feels obligated to make weak-ass jokes or anything.
>>
>>43782073
Lol.

>>43782135
Exactly. I remember the copy of the game my friend owned had a few blank cards in it, where we wrote some of our own. That was pretty cool. Maybe the best solution would be something like this:
>if you have a shitty card, put that card in a separate pile (or back in the box)
>draw a new card
>at the end of each game, divide up the shitty cards among players
>everybody makes new cards to replace them
>burn the shitty cards

You could take out anything that was an obscure reference, or was uncomfortable for your play group, or just wasn't funny, or whatever. It would be self-correcting! Any shitty custom cards would eventually be filtered out as well.

The devs are pretty cool about providing the assets of the game for free. But I very much prefer the feel of the real cards (rather than just printer paper). Wishing they sold boxes of blank cards that matched the design of the game.
>>
>>43781295
I remember playing this a lot in college.

Everybody would sit down and be all "I am so excited to be a terrible person" and when somebody plays something even remotely offensive it was full "muh triggers!" mode.

Every
Fucking
Time
>>
>>43782237
Oh yeah! I've been wondering if that's any good. Is it fun? The box is giving me flashbacks to Wits & Wagers Family, which I didn't care for at all.
>>
>>43781820
...is this nigga trying to shit on Match Game '73?
>>
>>43782237
Apples to Apples is much, much worse. In AtA, you'll get stuck with a bunch of clueless morons who think the best response to "Things that are wet" is "water".
>>
File: 1254365264409.jpg (29 KB, 374x250) Image search: [Google]
1254365264409.jpg
29 KB, 374x250
>>43781295
I know I'm going to sound like a try hard fag but given that people are trying to win the game and not fuck around there is some meta to playing the right cards at the right time for the right judges. This goes double if you actually know the people and can judge the comedy they may or may not like.

When I play with my family I know my moms going to be able to get the celebrity cards but isn't as big on the potty humor. On the contrary my younger brother can't get enough of the "Biggest and Blackest Dick" cards so I save those for him. Also there's consideration to be had on just when you need to dump the crap cards, or how long to keep the cards that work better on a two answer round.

But really that's probably too much thought given into a game made for normies to play while they get sloshed.
>>
>>43781295

>Genuine human contact.
>Drinking alone.
>Glory holes.
>>
>>43782456
This is fair.

Also, there's some real artistry to the Pick 2 and Haiku cards.
>>
Personally, I prefer 1000 Blank Cards to CAH. Same sort of creative element, a lot funnier once you get into it, and holds interest for far longer.
>>
File: spf 80.jpg (53 KB, 548x470) Image search: [Google]
spf 80.jpg
53 KB, 548x470
>>43782429
That show is sooo shitty...

>>43782503
>Genuine human contact
This one is almost funny, but the phrasing doesn't quite seem like a joke so most people aren't going to find it funny.
>Drinking alone
This one's too real to be funny, but not real enough to be hilarious.
>Glory holes
Meh.
>>
>>43782456

Finally, someone on my level.
>>
>>43782564
Huh. Never heard of this one. From what I'm reading, it seems like there aren't actually any rules..??? Seems like the players need to really be in the same head space to make it work.

>>43782518
I love the haiku cards, actually. Shame that nobody tends to agree whether syllabic rules of haiku actually apply on these cards. I wonder if the developers thought much about the syllables of each card. I'm leaning towards "nope."
>>
>>43782677

I think that's supposed to be a Haiku, which may explain your first issue with Cards Against Humanity.
>>
>>43782834
Why would you think that?
>doesn't say haiku
>answers not 5-7-5
>makes no sense that way
>>
>>43783024
>doesn't say haiku

Fair point, but it's three cards with no explanation to anything previously said at all, so I think I can make a safe guess.

>answers not 5-7-5
Shit man, how do you get a 5-7-5 Haiku in Cards Against Humanity that's still funny? Most sane people just play 3 cards that tell a funny story.

>makes no sense that way
At what age did your sense of humor die?
>>
>>43782380
It's a blast, but I'd say play it with friends. I've never played it while drinking but I bet it's a good drinking game too.
>>43782445
Fortunately, I was just using AtA as shorthand for the game mechanics. Say Anything is great.
>>
>>43782326
I think they do. I know I've held blank/user written cards before.
>>
>>43782792
>Seems like the players need to really be in the same head space to make it work.

It can take a little bit to get going, but the idea is basically the same as other casual games. You're just trying to do shit that seems funny.
>>
>>43783075
I assumed since he replied directly to OP, that he was putting in his cards for the round. Except since OP's card didn't ask for a haiku, I assumed he must either be
A) putting in everybody else's cards as well, or
B) listing the cards he had to choose from,
in order to make a point. I guess the third option is
C) he decided it was a haiku round for no apparent reason,
but none of those options make a lot of sense.

>>43783099
Groovy. I will check it out. How do you get around knowing everybody's handwriting? You're supposed to make decisions irrespective of who wrote what answer, right?
>>
>>43782456
This. This is they way any of these games go. It might even be Apples to Apples that recommends you work the judge in such a manner.

>>43782376
As someone in college I've never had that problem. It's the whole damn point of the game so anyone not comfortable just doesn't play. Where did you go if you don't mind me asking.

>>43781820
CAH is not a game I'd ever own but I'm not above playing. It's one of the breakout successes of the Kickstarter games so it's important in the board game lineage. It's really just for making people realize that "board games" don't have to be serious or for entertaining a large group. The most successful games I've played are when there is no win limit and people just stop when they're bored. The shock humor of the game has a nice snowball effect so sometimes people are even laughing too hard to even read the cards.

So yeah, it's a stupid game for a stupid time and that's an okay thing in my book.
>>
>>43783469

A small liberal arts college. That alone should explain it.
>>
>>43783245

I see where you're coming from, you think that what the OP posted was essentially the topic for a round of Cards, as opposed to just the OP saying that Cards is a great way to let off some PC pressure. I see your error now.
>>
>>43783245
>Groovy. I will check it out. How do you get around knowing everybody's handwriting? You're supposed to make decisions irrespective of who wrote what answer, right?
You just do your best not to let it affect your decision. One of the things is, you also get points for guessing who the person whose turn it is picked.

Basically each of us has a board with a different color border and writes our answer on it. Then the person who read the card has a little wheel thing with an arrow and points it to that color without showing anyone. Everyone has two chips, and everyone but the picker puts them on boards of their choice (either doubling up or spreading out to cover multiple boards). Then the picker flips it over, and everyone gets points equal to the number of chips they have on the chosen board, and the one the picker chose gets a certain number of points (I don't remember how many... somewhere from one to three).
>>
>>43783651
Huh. Seems elegant, anyway. Basically the same scoring rules as Wits & Wagers Family, or Dixit.

>>43783469
Agreed. It's not a bad game, per se, but I think it's a little rough around the edges. I'll still play a few rounds if somebody has it. While I'd rather have something a little more refined and strategic get the limelight, I must admit it's nice to have a card game exist as a popular cultural icon. In the future we're going to remember Cards Against Humanity in much the same way as Michael Bay's Transformers, or the Big Bang Theory. It might not be great, but it's still pretty entertaining and it feels good to have more people enjoy the stuff that sort of shaped us as individuals.

>>43783533
It occurs to me that I don't think I've played any other games that have political incorrectness built in as a feature. Weird. Are there any?
>inb4 roll for anal circumference
>>
>>43783521
Ah. We're engineers. I'm so sorry.
>>
>>43783521
I think the funniest thing I've had all at college so far is when we were doing some stupid trivia game in German and got told to not pick offensive names.

And I guess "Everyone Dies" is offensive.
>>
File: 1408575502373.gif (369 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1408575502373.gif
369 KB, 500x271
>>43784278

Yeah, I am too.
>>
>>43784278
Hey, where are you at? Anywhere in the midwest?
>>
>>43781820
The one time I played I felt like it required some thought. Sure there where always no brainers like mecha hitler, but some of the cards with multiple blanks got some very creative answers. Then there are the combinations that just work oddly well.

>help my son is____
>switching to geico
>>
>>43781820

So basically it's apples to apples for adults
>>
>>43789125
it's Apples to Apples for college students
>>
>>43781820 thats why i play it online with fatguys and catgirls i know. And i know they get the references.

With custom cards its even better
>>
>>43781820
Pretty much this.

Its fun every couple months but the only time ive played it and laughed till the end I was drinking.
>>
>>43781295
This game gets much better after you start making your own cards. That said, there needs to be quality control. Some people are much better at writing cards than others. Currently our set is about 30% homemade, both black and white cards.
>>
>>43781295

CAH is only fun if you have like 11-14 year old neices and nephews to play it with at christmas or something - actual adults will get bored of it pretty quickly.
>>
>>43783521
Our group kept most of the offensive stuff in, but took out things relating to rape because some of us have had experiences like that and are uncomfortable but don't want to bring it up.
>>
>>43781295
It was fun and funny the first two times I played it. Now it feels like the host uses it to fill the time until we go home. The cards are predictable and no longer shocking or funny. Unfortunately this is one traditional game that would probably be better as an app that allowed you to draw on a limitless database of user submitted questions and responses.
>>
>>43790498

pretty much any game like this works better that way in my experience. For example quiplash.
>>
>>43790498
>Unfortunately this is one traditional game that would probably be better as an app that allowed you to draw on a limitless database of user submitted questions and responses.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cahideas/
>>
>>43781295
>Being PC 24/7.
>Westerners actually have to do this

Fucking Orwellian desu senpai
>>
>>43790578
>Reddit

Are you the faggot that posts /tg/ screencaps to r/4chan or the r/4chan mod that has a /tg/ flair?
>>
>not playing apples to apples like a tamer version of cards against humanity
>>
>>43781820
What you said, what you said a MILLION times over! This piece of shit game needs to die.
>>
>>43781295
>I drink to forget...
>Drinking alone.

CAH brings out the truth in me and my friends ;_;
>>
>>43781820
Do you ever watch Buzzr, anon? I had never heard of it, but all of a sudden this month we get like eight new over-the-air channels, and one of them is nothing but old (1950s-1970s) game shows, complete with in-show commercials.

I'm thinking of taking up smoking after seeing how cool and refreshing these new cigarettes are.
>>
>>43791891
I find that a lot more entertaining. It covers a lot more bases.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.