[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: 61vck18Y31L.jpg (120 KB, 800x805) Image search: [Google]
61vck18Y31L.jpg
120 KB, 800x805
>/bgg/ - Bluffing Games Galore

You know the drill. Talk about board games and shit like that.

>What's a game that your usual gaming group likes but you prefer to just sit out?
>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet, or they don't like?
>What's one game you all love?
>What's one game you all hate?
>>
>What's a game that your usual gaming group likes but you prefer to just sit out?
Munchkin.
>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet, or they don't like?
Battletech
The Resistance
I don't know. Monopoly, maybe?

Anyway, my sister's boyfriend is out of town for a while and she's sad. What's a game that's fun two-player that I can get to play with her, that will still be good as a group later on?

Her favorite games seem to be Sushi Go and Zombicide, so I was thinking either Fairy Tale or some kind of cooperative dungeon crawl.
>>
I once opted to not play Snowdonia once, but I relented a few months later and came second
>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet
Most of my games are kinda heavy, and I tend to pair myself off with the newcomers (gotta welcome everyone into the hobby!) so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, really.
>or they don't like?
If people don't like the games I bring out, it's usually because they're not that great. I'm a big boy, so I've no problem with selling shit games asap.
Mijnlieff
I'unno... ludo?
>>
Looking for a single player game that's fun. I've heard of friday, is there anything else?
>>
Don't have one but my brother doesnt like playing 7 wonders. He just doesnt like games with card drafting.
Monopoly, Some people just have no love for the game. Though i settle for playing Monopoly Deal since that usually gets people interested more than original.
Smashup
Risk, prefer a game of thrones board game.
>>
>>43775878

Battlestar Galactica. It's shit. Also Zombicide.

Race for the Galaxy.

Dunno. Thunderstone?

Munchkin, Smashup.
>>
>>43775878

Cards Against Humanity

One Night Werewolf, Resistance, practically everything of that genre

Dominion

Munchkin
>>
File: Fury of Cattula.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Fury of Cattula.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>43775878
Really aren't any, my regular group has tastes that either conform to mine or are narrower than mine, we rarely play anything I don't enjoy. That said, I often sit out if we're playing something with multiple new people so I can help adjudicate and teach during play without bias.
Been too long since we played Twilight Imperium, Rex, Star Trek: Fleet Captains, Battlestar Galactica.
Chaosmos is rapidly becoming a popular regular game, as is Mafia De Cuba, but honestly, our opinions are so homogenized this list could be fifty items long.
Munchkin.

So, got our first game of Fury of Dracula in the other night. Damn. Tense as hell. We made a number of small rule errors that contibuted no small amount of frustration to the game, but overall I think we were all really impressed. Dracula was located really early through some lucky guesswork, but slipped through an overlooked route, causing the hunters to chase across italy and greece looking for him while he booked it for england. Once we'd figured it it, we'd spent a good third of the available time on that wild goose chase. Almost managed to corner him in england, but he slipped out, burning his health to fuel abilities that speed him up. Cue benny hill music as he books it across europe towards Castle Dracula to heal up, but we get lucky, catch him, and Van Helsing and Mina Harker riddle the fleeing count with holy bullets in the first and last actual combat of the game with only a couple turns left before dracula would have won.

Great game. Feel like Dracula generally needs to beat the hunters up early before they're fully laden with 1800's tacticoolery, but that hard juke most of the way across the map did most of the same job. Game's not perfect, but it's damn good.
>>
>>43775878
Love Letter, actually. I don't hate it, but everybody else seems way more into it than me. And I'm the one who bought it!
Bezzerwizzer. Hard to get enough people together who like trivia games. Also, Catacombs. I just got to play it for the first time in forever, and everybody loves it, but I think it only really works if you play it rarely.
Cosmic Encounter is pretty great. We always go back to Magic, though, because it's something we can sort of play on our own (building decks) and then be extra excited to play when we get together because we've got stuff we want to test out.
I got Wits & Wagers Family Edition last year, and it turned out to be pretty bad. It's perfectly functional, but the rules are a little clunky and it's just not very fun. Plus it requires lots of players! I've recently dismantled it to use the pieces for other games that are missing pieces. The little meeple guys are pretty great.

>>43777418
The Game of Thrones board game seems to satisfy the Risk players I know, while still being fun for everybody else too. That game is really cool. I want to play it now.
>>
>>43777329
Mage Knight if you're not afraid of a brain-burner.
>>
Worst Reviewer / Best Reviewer in your DESU opinion?

Worst Nick, BoardGameBrawl, Best Joel, DriveThruReview
>>
I bought a bunch of shit for xmas, AEG 2014 Black Box (store near me still had one, first time I went in there and it was like tucked down in the corner of a book shelf, I fucking snapped that bitch up), Dixit expansion, survive squid expansion, Robo Rally, Blue Moon Legends
>>
>>43777329
Gears of War is pretty good solo.

Unfortunately, I don't play enough board games often enough to have answers to OP's questions. But I really don't like Cards Against Humanity but all my normalfriends think it's hilarious. That or Munchkin.

Everyone I've played with has liked Lords of Waterdeep, Hanabi, Love Letter. We played Tokaido at a board game cafe and everyone really liked it but I thought it wasn't that great.

Right now I want Codenames since I don't have anything that can play more than 5 except for Tsuro, and that can get old. I'm think my gf might get me some more expensive cool board games for Christmas. Unfortunately my tastes can often be heavy and don't overlap well with hers, and they'd have to be good at 2 player counts, too.
>>
>>43775962 here.
>Anyway, my sister's boyfriend is out of town for a while and she's sad. What's a game that's fun two-player that I can get to play with her, that will still be good as a group later on?

>Her favorite games seem to be Sushi Go and Zombicide, so I was thinking either Fairy Tale or some kind of cooperative dungeon crawl.
>>
>>43779971
Meant to add "Can somebody help me out?" to the end.
>>
Suburbia vs. castles of mad Ludwig.

I am hesitating between the two, has anyone played them both?

Ludwig seems more "fun" and thematic, but suburbia seems more complex and more of a brain teaser.

Which do you prefer and why anon? Also, do they play/scale well with 2 players?
>>
>>43780751
Are you me, anon? I'm having the same problem.

Except that my issue is more 'which is easier to teach' because I'm gonna be visiting my dad for thanksgiving and while he enjoyed Gravwell last time I had it around, he has a low complexity tolerence.

Then again he loved simcity back when 2000 and 4 were around, so maybe suburbia would be good...
>>
>>43775878
>>What's a game that your usual gaming group likes but you prefer to just sit out?
Ticket to Ride
>>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet, or they don't like?
TI3
>>What's one game you all love?
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
>>What's one game you all hate?
Games we all hate except one of us are Munchkin and TI3 (trying to build a new group for that one).
>>
File: 71l06vxqjNL._SL1280_.jpg (190 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
71l06vxqjNL._SL1280_.jpg
190 KB, 1280x850
>>43775878
Im thinking of picking up a copy of Axis and Allies to try out with my friends

Which version of the game should I get?
>>
Bought castles of burgundy this week, tried it out twice now and like it so far, does anyone here have opinions on the extra boards?
>>
>>43781724
Why A&A?
>>
>>43781992
been on a binge of playing shit like warthunder/world of warships etc.

Would like to try a WWII themed game
>>
>>43781724
>>43781992
Every time someone suggests A&A, I think "Man, why don't we ever play this? This always looks so cool."

And then I play it.

And then I remember.

A&A is a cool game, but God damn does it take forever with relatively little actually happening. And setup is awful.
>>
>>43782015
A&A's problem isn't so much that it's a bad game as that it's very, very long for how good a game it is. That said, I've enjoyed A&A pacific the most, despite being a bigger fan of the european/african theatre.

My favorite WW2 game is Heroes of Normandie, but it's more of a skirmish game, and needs expansions to work with more than 1v1.
>>
>>43781802
IIRC, board 8 is seen as stronger than the boards, the rest are roughly equal.
>>
>>43783166
Oh i played board 8 in my second game and took a 40 point lead which i more or less held onto. 4 player game. Do they usually just not use that board then if people think its stronger?
>>
my friends like board game but the dont like long tutorials before we play. looking for games with "very simple this is how it works now lets play and learn as we go. " any recommendations?
>>
>>43783520
Love Letter. The Resistance.
>>
>>43782015
>warthunder binge
Are you me?

By the way, what are some good WW2 games? What about ones with heavy machinery? What about ones with different/interesting angles or aspects of the war?
>>
>>43775878
>Sit out
FUCK OFF WITH THE FAMILY BUSINESS, THERE'S NO STRATEGY, IT'S JUST PLAYING CARDS UNTIL SOMEONE LOSES
>Can't get them to play
SIT YOUR FUCKING ASSES DOWN AND PLAY SOME TERRA MYSTICA, IT'S THE GODDAMNED BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS
>All love
Tobago probably comes close, maybe Avalon
>All hate
Monopoly
>>
Super Dungeon Explore. Everyone else has fooled themselves into thinking it's fun but I find it shallow and repetitive.
Chaos in the Old World. It takes multiple plays to really get the game since each god plays so differently. Hard enough to get a 4-player only game out there, harder still to get them to play it multiple times to understand the deeper meta.
Dead of Winter. We're suckers for games with hidden loyalties and the events that happen always seem to generate an entertaining narrative for us, even though we almost never survive a full game.
Anything by Bucephalus Games.
>>
>>43775878

imblyign i have a regular group

Mage Knight hit the board once and it was fantastic, but the girlfriend wasn't so into it.

Pandemic

Smallworld
>>
>>43783520
Hive and Gravwell also fit the bill.
>>
X-Wing and now Armada. My group is big SW fans.
Shadow of Brimstone. For some reason I just can't get people into it. Which is a real shame.
Imperial Assault for the above reason
Catan.
>>
>>43778244
Watch It Played with Rodney and his kids.

He's like the Bob Ross of Boardgames; always makes me all fuzzy inside when I watch him b
>>
>>43783520
The Duke, Galaxy Trucker.
>>
>>43775878
N/A. I think we've played together so long we have a decent idea of what works well for our group.

>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet, or they
don't like?
Most of us are open to whatever games people bring, can't think of any game that have divided the group in any way.

>one
I'll go ahead and say Dominant Species.

Battlestar Galactica. Played it like 7-10 times or so, it was more or less equally shit every time.
>>
Cards Against Humanity, wish someone didn't buy the big box version and felt compelled to try and get his money's worth.

Forbidden Stars, just haven't had a chance to make them learn the rules yet.

Cosmic Encounter

Hate's a strong word, but I don't think anyone likes Munchkin
>>
>>43783637
>What about ones with different/interesting angles or aspects of the war?
I reckon Churchill would fit this. A 3-player game focusing on the conferences Churchill, Stalin, and Roosevelt had, it has a conference phase where the players have a kind of 3-way tug of war between various issues pertaining to the war effort, and then a military phase where said issues are executed.
>>
>>43780751
Can anyone please answer? I'd really appreciate some insight!
Thanks.
>>
>>43788102
We'll need to know more about your group dude. Do they prefer crunch, or fluff?
>>
>>43788106
That's the thing, we like both.
Power grid, ti3, CitOW, eclipse, cosmic encounter, Agricola, etc.

If anything, between suburbia and king Ludwig, which one scales better to 2 players?
>>
>>43775878
>Resistance
This fucking game
Every time me and my friends play we go through cycles of them blindly trusting me and nobody believing a word I say for weeks on end
>>
File: 7684678678.jpg (303 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
7684678678.jpg
303 KB, 1920x1080
Can you guys recommend a grand scale war game? Not something insane like Campaign for North Africa but still something you can play for an entire day.
>>
>>43775878
>My friends and I play this and Coup often.
>Our nights go from:
>"Oh you got me, good job"
To
> "Can I trust you as a human being?"

Way too stressful.
>>
>>43788897
uhh Epic Armageddon?
>>
Anybody had a look at the Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift kickstarter? It's a bit rich for my blood, but it looks pretty damn solid.
>>
>>43788897
Twilight Imperium is probably king here, but it encompasses a lot more than "just" war.
Large games of Memoir 44 or Heroes of Normandie (Division and Company level, respectively)
Diplomacy is solid.
Four-Player games of Forbidden Stars can be pretty long.
Axis & Allies in a pinch, but I hesitate to recommend it.
>>
>>43789533
I'm debating whether to get the $99 pledge over the $79 one; I love exclusive shit, but I also like affording food.
>>
>>43789874
Make some lentil or other bean type soup or something and eat it for a couple days. Makes up for lost $$$.

This is assuming you aren't eating on the cheap already.
>>
>>43777626
Was this the new edition of Fury of Dracula? I'm interested in the game, but chances are it'd just be me and the gf playing 90%of the time. How do you think the game would hold up if it was just two players?
>>
>>43790305
Another anon here interested about Fury of Dracula.
At the moment I'm torn between it and Rex on what to get for Christmas.
>>
>>43790305
Yeah, new edition.
I think it would hold up just fine as 1v1, but that's just after a single play so far.

>>43790323
>Fury of Dracula vs Rex
That's tough, both are fantastic games. I'd make it a question of playercount, FoD is pretty flexible between 2-5, and Rex is only really at it's best with 6.
>>
>>43790369
Well we've got a good number of 4 player games, but only EH, Starcraft and GoT for 6 player stuff.

I suppose its Rex then. Gotta pick up Fury of Dracula later in 2016 though.
>>
>>43790457
Good choice. You may never play GoT again, though.
>>
>>43790479
I dont mind. While others enjoy it, I find the lack of depth a bit limiting. Its a great game for introducing people though.
>>
>>43789188
>playing coup
>not always telling the truth
I win so many games by doing that. Everyone calls you out on things and since you're always telling the truth they kill themselves
>>
>>43781724
A&A Europe 1940 2nd edition
For maximum fun get pacific as well and combine them into a giant ass world map.
>>
So I just picked up Memoir '44. What am I in for?

Also, got Exploding Kittens. Is the hype real?
>>
>>43782082

I feel the exact same thing about Game of Thrones I don't dislike the game and I see many opportunities for strategic thinking (something I love) but holly shit does it take long.

Also my gf not-quite-hates it with a passion due to it "being boring".
>>
Dominion
Small World
Cosmic Encounter
Resistance
>>
>>43790736
>Memoir '44
Arguably the best division-level WW2 game, but also really abstracted because of the scale. Great, lightweight, and easy to teach/play. Command & Colors system helps keep the number of choices you have each turn easy to swallow, but can also feel restricting.

>Exploding Kittens
Feels really munchkin-tier as far as actual gameplay goes, but at least it's only about a tenth as long.
>>
>>43775878

Card Against Humanity. I thought I was safe, as it wasn't available in my language, but few months ago Polish Edition appeared. I played it 2 times and I already had enough.

Twilight Struggle of course. My only buddy for that game lives about 250 km away, so we play it via Vassal every blue moon.

Bang!: The Dice Game. It's just so fast and silly. Despite player elimination, we always make it fun.

I doubt there's one, but I have one ally against CAH, so we're making progress.
>>
>>43775878

Does Bang! count as a boardgame?

Risk
Diplomacy
Dominion
Risk
>>
>>43790581
But if you get a bad combo, you're basically doomed unless you lie.
>>
>>43790906
If you get a bad combo, just ambassador first turn, almost no one is going to call that.
>>
>>43790736
>Memoir
Steev is all about HoN but I actually think this is the better light wargame. I do miss the army building but that almost defeats the purpose of an intro-tier game in your collection. I also like the dice rolling mech in Memoir more, because it's easier to teach to new players and easier to play while drunk.

>Exploding Kittens
Sister-in-law got this the other week, after 5 plays in an hour I'm pretty sure this is just a weaker version of Uno with unappealing art. My brother and her are both into the idea of gaming but neither has played many hobby/niche games before; they found it fun, but I was glad I'd had the extra 3 beers.
>>
>>43790581
>try to get my dad playing coup
>he never looks at the cards ever, not even when he's dealt them

It always throws people off.
>>
>>43781724
If you want to play a WW2 game with up to 6 players, I heavily recommend "Quartermaster General". Seriously it's way way WAY better than A&A in my opinion.

It isn't so slow, you can wrap it up within 2 hours. There is randomness, but not in such immense way as in A&A. You can pursue different tactics depending on your draw, while in A&A you pretty much do the same each game.

Check it out, it's fantastic in my opinion. Has a similar feel, but plays differently.
>>
>>43783637
I'll recommend you Quartermaster General too, because why the hell not.
>>
Is Pandemic Legacy worth it when you only have two players? The only people who can really play it with regularity is me and my girlfriend, but we can probably rope in family members every once in a while.
>>
>>43791011
>steev is all about HoN but I actually think this is the better light wargame.
I don't actually disagree, it's way more accessible, and the combat resolution is quicker and much more elegant.
But over in the /v/ department, I'm a big fan of the Men of War series, so I like my maneuvering for side/rear armor shots, blowing dynamic entry holes in the sides of buildings with tanks or demo charges, and all that fine-detail tactical nonsense. Memoir just paints with too broad a brush for all that.
>>
>>43790581
My Favorite troll strategy is not looking at my cards. I then either Yolo my way through or pretend I have a specific pair. Best part is I'm not lying. I am just an ignorant asshole. When people call bullshit, I tend to have the card in question enough times that the plan works.
>>
>>43791072
is >>43791298 your dad?
>>
>>43791298
>>43791072
We have a guy that does this. Almost always results in everyone challenging his every move until he's dead, just to spite him. This occasionally backfires, hilariously.
>>
So christmas is coming up and I'd like to buy a new board game. We're 3 brothers who have played a lot of TI3, A&A and some GoT.
Im looking for something as complex as TI3/A&A and playtime between 1 and 8 hours
(preferrably with focus on war/battle).
we also love having diplomatic options so we can betray eachother in horrible manners.
It doesnt need to be a war game, it can be something completely different as long as it is optimized for 3 players (unlike TI3 were 3 players isnt optimal at all).
Are there any games out there that match the criterias above? optimized for 3 players is the most important part.
>>
>>43791111
Yes.
>>
>>43791406
War of the Ring, maybe.
Rex can work for 3 if you have each player run a pair of races, just have to make sure to keep their assets separate.
Oh, Star Trek: Fleet Captains is actually ridiculously good at 3. Should grab either the Romulan or Dominion expansion so there's actually three races, but it's not strictly necessary.
>>
>>43791332
I think I would get along great with his dad. Father trolling is best trolling. It is to make up for the shitty jokes.
>>43791383
I find the optimum is to sprinkle it like salt. Once every few games, lie about doing it, lie about not doing it. My goal is to make all information I give out in game be unreliable.

But I must be honest with you /tg/. I am always lying about having a Duke. Drawing three coins gives me the same erection as card draw.
>>
>>43791547
Thanks, I'll have a look at those games!
>>
Just got Mage Knight and am liking it a lot. What are your guys' opinions on the expansions? Any worth getting when they're back in stock?
>>
>>43792108
The lost legion is the best one by a mile, fighting general-no-one-cares-what-his-name-is is the best mode the game has. The extra heroes and stuff from the others are nice, but not as big an improvement to the overall game in my opinion.
>>
>>43791406
>optimized for 3 players

Churchill >>43787571

Triumph&Tragedy is another game designed for precisely 3 players which is more of a wargame than Churchill, but there's also technology and a small political influence component with non-player countries as well. Military, tech (atomic), and two types of economic victories are possible.

Dominant Species - actually designed for 6 players, but works real well with 3,4, and 6 players imo. There's also a 3-player variant where each player gets to control two of the species, and whatever of your species that has the least victory points is what you go by when scoring for victory, so you can't just slack with one of your teams.

I kind of feel like a GMT shill after writing this..
>>
>>43777329
The Hunters: German U-boats at war is great if you just like rolling dice to experience a story.
>>
>>43791406
If you can get a hold of it, Starcraft.

Works best with 3 or 6 players due to having 3 races. Should be right up your alley if you enjoy TI3 and GoT as well.

Lacks in diplomacy (there is none), but more than makes up for it in the combat department.
>>
>>43775878

None. I'm the one who always breaks out the board games to play
Either Earth Reborn or Warhammer Diskwars. Maybe Chaos in the Old World. Everyone also hates Fairytale but i really like it.
Long Shot. A cool little game about horse racing. Unbalanced as hell and totally random (which kinda fits the theme) but it it supports 8 players, you don't have to pay much attention so it's good for a casual friendly game, and it scratches a betting game itch that i tend to get. Everyone loves it.
Haven't played a game that EVERYONE hated yet.
>>
>>43781724
I wish there was an Axis&Allies game that was like Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage.

Event Cards, Battle cards, Generals, etc.
>>
>>43792108
Lost Legion is a must-have. General Valkare is enough to make it a great expansion by himself but it also comes with new cards, new enemies, and a new hero. Really great stuff.

Krang is just a new character but he is the best "new" character by far.

Shades of Tezla is really good smaller scale expansion but Wizkidz completely fucked up the components making it nigh unplayable without some work-arounds.
>>
Anyone out there with experience with runebound 2nd ed and 3rd? Is 3rd enough of an improvement to ditch 2nd and any expansions you have to move on to 3rd?
>>
File: WP_20151122_006.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151122_006.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
Played a pretty ballin' 8 player game of TI3 yesterday, lasted about 8 hours in the end which was pretty good. Plenty of intrigue and the like, all the good stuff.
>>
>>43794839
Damn. Are you guys playing on the floor? That tablecloth(?) looks like a rug.
>>
>>43794941
Ahah, nah, don't hate our lumbar regions that much.

Hacan for scale.
>>
>>43795110
Four rings man.
Insane.
Any really clever plays?
>>
>>43795274
A handful of rounds in, our Jol Nar player calls an assembly and proposes we activate the alien artifact. People are pretty against it, everyone is pretty invested around Mecatol and don't want to risk their entire navies. After we reveal representatives, we find out the Jol Nar have sent their councillor who receives a bonus vote for each technology advance they have... making his total votes ~35 or so. He forces the bill through and then proceeds to roll successfully! Hurray, we all get two techs, completely free of char- wait why is he spending command counters? He proceeds to use his racial ability to reroll dice until mecatol blows up. He wiped hundreds of material worth of ships off the map and simultaneously earned a lot of respect and fury.
>>
File: ][.png (292 KB, 452x443) Image search: [Google]
][.png
292 KB, 452x443
>>43796289
glorious
>>
File: And Now The Weather.jpg (32 KB, 451x594) Image search: [Google]
And Now The Weather.jpg
32 KB, 451x594
>Games which involve barefaced lying
>Acting background
>>
Avalon. And One Night Ultimate Werewolf, too. I just don't enjoy games like that.

BattleCON. Most of them don't enjoy it. And even with the ones that do, I never get to play it because who plays a two player game on game day. Shitsux, man.

I do not believe that we have any one game that everybody all loves. There are games that everyone likes and some people love, but none that meet this criteria of universal adulation.

Tahiti. Got it for free. Traded it away for Thunderstone and four expansion packs. Was worth doing.
>>
Does Shadows of Brimstone have good combat? If not is there any known user-made stuff out there that makes it better?
>>
>>43797519
It's pretty good.
>>
>>43796289
Amazing. Fucking amazing.
>>
>>43800073
>>43796289
>>43796351
Doesn't it only roll three dice for each system and planet?
>>
I cannot seem to into Eurogames. I've only played lightish ones (Catan, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride) and they're alright, TtR being my favorite, but I just don't get really into them.

Can someone recommend some others that are worth trying? Bonus points if it plays well with two and scales up to at least four.
>>
>>43775878
Don't have one, but my friend keeps trying to get me this insane WoR game which has rules for pausing the game to resolve the senate or some shit, it's by GMT so I'm sure it's good but fuck it is a thick game.

Robo Rally, it's a tough sell when your sell is, "You program a robot and then it crashes into other robots and explodes"

Wallenstein

Game of Thrones
>>
>>43801113
WoR?
>>
>>43801165
Wars of the Roses, sorry forgot the 't' it's not exactly my preferred period of history, but I don't dislike it by any means
>>
>>43800439
Powergrid is pretty solid, but it plays better with more players. It's still ok for 2 players thought.

I just got key flower an played it with the gf (2 games so far); it plays pretty well for 2. First impression is we love it!
Terra Marcia is also great, but it really shines with more players.
>>
Anyone play any board games on their phone? Solo, I don't plan on playing any multiplayer games on my iphone.
>>
>>43801564
I sometimes play Lords of Waterdeep when I'm bored.
>>
Looking for feedback on a game I posted in a different thread, maybe it will interest someone here?
>>43790639

>>43801564
Star Realms has a nice free app version, a good way to spend 10 minutes or so.
>>
File: Sekigahara.jpg (163 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Sekigahara.jpg
163 KB, 1024x768
Best game or absolute best game?
>>
File: 1414712130914.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1414712130914.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>43803104

Best ever.

>bluffing
>resource management
>asymmetry

One of the best two-player games ever devised.
Puts Netrunner to shame.
>>
>>43794941

> tfw no folding/hinged tables that will be large enough to play
> tfw room is too small for having a big table all the time

So yeah... we play on the floor all the time. Might even buy some cushions to help with that soon.
>>
>>43800439

Dominant Species. I don't think it plays well with two though it's ok at 3, and comfy at 4. Haven't managed to play it yet with 6.
>>
>>43803104
>>43803196
>interesting game
>"oh hey this looks cool, let's see what it costs"
>out of stock everywhere
>GMT P500 page
>only at 361 orders

goddamnit
>>
>>43801564
Play Neuroshima Hex! with my wife all the time. The physical copy hasn't come out of the box in years.
Have also played Ascension, Summoner Wars, and galaxy Trucker on ios. Ascension was very addictive on mobile, would never buy a physical copy.
>>
Hey guys, I'm warping my head around getting Conflict of Heroes and XCOM, anyone ever tried those?
>>
>>43801564
The Galaxy Truckers app is really well done and I've gotten a lot of fun out of it.
>>
>>43805354
XCOM was pretty fun, reminiscent of the Arkham horror games in difficulty.
>>
Trying this again, no responses in the last thread. Thoughts on guild ball and dreadball?

Also, heroes of Normandy. I love small scale infantry tactics. Sounds like that game has it yeah?
>>
>>43806551
>Heroes of normandie
Somewhere between platoon and company-level, but yeah, it does smallish tactics really really well, with a surprisingly strong emphasis on predicting your opponent.
>>
Gloom
Pandemic and Betrayal at House on the Hill
Arkham Horror, Camp Grizzly
Munchkin would be the closest thing.
>>
>>43804533
I know that feel. I've been on that preorder list for months now.

Why must P500 be so slow?
>>
>>43801564
The suggestions I make are based on android ports of apps, so prices might differ.

TtR has great production values, the AI is good but not amazing, it's better if you spend the extra buck or two getting another map, Asia provides me with a bit more challenge.

Elder Sign is really polished FFG does well even in the app division, though easy if you pick investigators yourself. It suffers from the same issue of needing to grab one expansion for another buck or two, C'thulu works fine.

Splendor is damn near perfect on the phone, and they included a lot of challenges, and AI settings in the base game, it seems a bit expensive for a phone game but well worth it if you enjoy the physical version even a little.

Star Realms is good, and free gets you the first act of their campaign mode, and for solo gets you easy mode AI. If you're really good at deck builders it might not keep you occupied for long, but I've gotten months of play from it and buying it once unlocks it cross platform for you (ios, android, windows, mac osx).

Hey That's My Fish is surprisingly hard, though I might just be bad at abstracts. Allows for AI difficulty settings and player settings (most apps use more players = harder as the AI); also includes a bunch of different layouts to change the game. Most of them are locked behind achievements, so it's got a lot of replay.

Carcassonne is ok, the production is nice, the game runs without issues, but it's just not as good as playing the analog version. If you're a big fan of the game you'll probably get a lot of play out of it, but every time I open the app I feel like something's missing.
>>
>>43806918
>cont.

First & Goal is buggy at times, and has been noted for this since it was released. It is an amazing football simulator though, and the dice rolling gives you the feel of a real game, because even if you play strategically perfect, things can go against you. Frustrating as all hell, but so very rewarding when you eke out a come from behind win.

Alhambra is an exercise in bad app development. The rules are badly laid out, the tutorial is mediocre at best, and the UI has been designed for ants. I feel like I need a magnifying glass to read the symbols and watchmaker's tools to hit the tiny buttons. The game itself isn't bad, but isn't great either, so the entire thing ends up overpriced and a total waste.

Galaxy Trucker is what board game apps should be, if Splendor is near perfect the guys at CGE hit perfection with this one. The campaign turns a polarizing game into an amazing story experience. It's easy to get into, there's a lot of hidden things to discover, and despite the fact it can be immensely frustrating, it's not entirely random, so learning allows you to progress.
>>
Hey guys, that up and coming video podcast guy again, got another question for ya.

How to play videos. Do you have a preference? As in do you prefer them short and to the point or informative?

I would enjoy trying to quickly explain games in 2 minutes, but some folks might not enjoy such a fast pace. It's a video so it's not like you can't rewatch it again if you missed something.
>>
Are there any games like Betrayal At House On The Hill that keeps the dungeon crawley aspect and the variety of senarios while being a little more balanced? My friends lost interest in the game because of it's balancing issues but I love the feel of the game.
>>
>>43806940
Both can be enjoyable, I think Watch it Played does it best: shorter rules video, followed by a full runthrough on most games. If I'm unsure about a game after watching reviews and rules explanations, I'll watch a full play of it.

There is one thing that I will say after watching Ricky Royal for the first time last week: if you're going to keep your face off camera and just your hands on the screen in a close up, trim your goddamn nails and wash your hands like you're going into surgery. I wanted to see how Battle of Five Armies plays, so queued up his videos after hearing /bgg/ recommend him several times and was thoroughly disgusted. I know not everyone works in a profession where they have to worry about under their nails being perfect, but damn.
>>
>>43807151

I work construction but I hate having stuff under my nails. However I'm also a nail biter so you might be getting cannibal fingers haha.

The two shots I've been playing with is a frontal with background for explaining what the video is about, then a top down on the table showing hands going through the motions. Edit the video to have on screen close ups without having to adjust the camera.

Also just watched vassal talk about HoN. Maybe that's an old video or something but damn his aesthetics are kind of ugly. Color choices and font and all that.

Also got a theme to go with the show that's only going to make an appearance during the frontal section of the show. Prolly cringe but I had a lot of fun making the background, and everyone I've show pics to irl thought it was kind of neat.
>>
>>43804533
Buy it on BGG marketplace or ebay.
>>
File: SekigaharaPieces-WookKim.jpg (732 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SekigaharaPieces-WookKim.jpg
732 KB, 1024x768
>>43803104
>>43803196

How is the replayability? I am interested.
>>

A Touch of Evil. So many goddamned cards and pieces to set up and put away.

Hard to say. Anything new we've bought, we've played at least once.

Rogue Trader

Risk. It is no longer allowed.
>>
>>43801564
Do 'board game inspired' games count? Paper Racing is a nice free racing game that moves you by invisible blocks. You can move to 9 spaces, picking the farther spaces ups your speed, while the closer spaces slow you down. Closest comparison is maybe Formula D?
>>
What does /tg/ think about Rum and Bones?
>>
Thoughts on Tomb Cryptmaster?
>>
>>43806940
I'm going to agree with >>43807151, both are fine. Shorter videos would be great to recommend to friends who are playing for the first time, though the length would probably depend on the game. Full play through videos are likely to get less views due to how long it can be and people are generally uninterested in watching an hour or so of moving stuff around, but they are great at showing off how a game feels as you play through it, and there are plenty of games that don't have many full play through videos.
>>
File: 20151123_132914.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151123_132914.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>43807235
>Hon
>Ugly
Benny will not tolerate such insolence!
>>
>>43791105
>>43791091
I just had a google and apparently there's an air expansion coming out
>>
>>43808193

Oh no, the game looks fine, I'm talking about vassal's video editing.

HoN is the game with breaching you were talking about earlier right?
>>
>>43807966

Trting to remember the game, I don't think it was talisman, but there was a game I know a bunch of people tried that had no how to plays.

I know myth has very few, and kudos to the guy who made like 3 parts, but seriously those videos need the chaff removed something fierce. It's like he's talking to you and not teaching you.

"Such and such works like this right? Hmm. No I guess not let's try it another"

A for effort but those videos were hard to power through, and I still feel like I didn't learn anything.
>>
>>43808307
Yeah, and I'm just kidding HoN's semi-comic style is super polarizing.
>>
>>43808491

I can't think of any ugly games off the top of my head...oh wait, I can, WoW Adventure game. Using 3D models from old school wow as card decoration should get you sent to a gulag
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 441x408
>when you sabotage the first mission and pin it on the guy who's actually resistance.
>>
>>43807309

Replayability is good.
There are enough random elements and enough hidden information to keep things fresh.
The gameplay is tight and tense. Almost like playing a high-stakes game of poker.
>>
>>43809017
I love doing this.
Throws everyone into a panic because they're suddenly dealing with a psychopath who would sabotage the first mission. Then neither of you gets used again until the last mission they have to get perfect.
>>
Seems to be a lot of Munchkin hate in this thread. Only played it once and the rules were never really explained properly, so could someone explain why it sucks? Or, people that like it, why it's worth playing?
>>
>>43810960

Personally...

>it lasts far far longer than it should
>not funny after maybe 3 games
>constant shitting out of expansions that change very little. More of the same.
>fucking someone over is because you drew a lucky card, not because of tactics or deceit
>>
>>43810960
>lack of meaningful player decisions
>draw card, thing hapens gameplay
>player interaction limited to "extort player / fuck player"
>excessive length, especially with higher playercount
>game built on multi-decade old jokes that wear thin after a single use
>expensive for it's content, and overpackaged to boot
>strategy consists entirely of hiding your powerlevel as much as possible until everyone is out of fuck-you cards.
There's just nothing redeeming about it.
>>
>>43810960
Munchkin is okay... unfortunately, it's also hyped to hell, with expansions out the wazoo and all these damn crossovers with better games e.g. Smash Up, Castle Panic, Love Letter. In fact, Love Letter does what Munchkin should do in about a tenth of the time, AND it's usually a hit with the ladies. Just stay away from the Legend of The 5 Rings version, unless you want to keep explaining what a "Shugenja" is.
>>
>>43811199
> Just stay away from the Legend of The 5 Rings version, unless you want to keep explaining what a "Shugenja" is.

I take a second to say : "weeaboo wizard", and the matter is closed. Seems pretty easy to me.
>>
File: 1424881156054.png (21 KB, 275x440) Image search: [Google]
1424881156054.png
21 KB, 275x440
>>43809017
>tfw in avalon you get stuck with the one other bad guy you do not look at from the start, both make the same play, two baddies outted turn 1
>>
>>43775878
>sit out of
Risk. When I get persuaded to play I wait for the breaking point before someone gets too big, then make a suicidal all-out attack to destabilize everything and eliminate myself (and someone else, hopefully) to precipitate the endgame, just to spare myself the agony of 2+ hours of stalemate.
>want to but haven't played
CitoW. "Too complicated, dude, let's just play Risk" Philistines.
>everyone loves
Basic D&D with lotsa miniatures and house rules, we make it more a tactical miniatures game than an RPG.
>dunno... no one seemed to enjoy Power Grid, but that mighta been because the one tima it hit the table, the market was so viciously dominated by a single player that all fun was replaced by frustration
>>
>>43775878
>>What's a game that your usual gaming group likes but you prefer to just sit out?
Shadow Hunters. When I owned it, it became our go to at 6+, and while not everyone made it to all sessions, I of course did, so I overdosed hard. I have since given it to a friend, so it only hits the table a couple of times a year, and now I can stomach it again. Sorta.
For the more casual groups and events, its gotta be CAH. I suck at making people laugh in that game anyway.

>>What's a game you love but either haven't had a chance to get them to play yet, or they don't like?
Man, I have had tons of misses with my friends over the year. War of 1812, Game of Thrones the board game 2.0, Struggle of Empires (still have this one and am hoping I can get it to the table).
While I game a lot with my wife, there are a bunch of games she won't touch in a 2 player form, despite enjoying tons of different games. So far, she has rejected (always after several playthroughs):
Netrunner, Ashes, Summoner Wars, Pixel Tactics, Merchants and Marauders, Bloodbowl.

Still get a ton of mileage out of Battlecon, Ti3, Innovation, and Neuroshima Hex! with her, but it sucks not being able to play a bunch of my favorites with her.

>>What's one game you all love?
One? Fuck that, we all love
Ti3, Sheriff of Nottingham ,Nightfall, Disc Duelers, Skulls and Roses or Liars dice.
Anyone who has played Chaos in the Old World so far. someday I will get the rats to the table.

>>What's one game you all hate?
Not hate, but Munchkin sort of fell off the bus really early on in our boardgame explorations. Was so easily replaced and never came out of the closet again. Only game I own where no one brought it up for old times sake. Any other game I have brought to the table I at least enjoyed, though everyone else may have hissed and booed at times.

My brother now owns Munchkin and brings it out for drinking nights with his friends. I bought the first 6 expansions for it until we stopped, so he's set.
>>
>>43811527
>When multiple baddies present, the one nearest to the king, clockwise, fails the mission.

Problem solved.
>>
>>43811814

>nightfall

HNNNNNG!

Love nightfall, but it's too pvp for the average person in my area, which I can understand. Still, love that game and it's criminally underplayed.
>>
>>43812303
Well, we stopped playing Dominion a while ago, and Nightfall solces all of Dominion's problems for our group.

We wound up playing it in a solitaire fashion, where we would forget whose turn it was as everyone would rather chit chat the pay attention when it wasn't our turn, as, other than the odd attack card coming out, there was little need to pay attention to the game until provinces started getting purchased.

The chain, the pvp, the drafting, it scratches a bunch of itches while also providing a reason to pay attention to opposing archives, the board state, deckbuilding and pathing options, how hurt the other players have gotten.

I only have base set and martial law, and it feels like enough. Absolutely fantastic.
>>
>>43812377

Martial law brought in zombies/ghouls right? Loved amassing an army of those bastards, and dreaded seeing someone else do it
>>
>>43812655
Sadly not, I think that was the hillbilly set.
>>
>>43812731

Ah, blood country or county or whatever. Yeah, if you ever feel like adding a very cool mechanic, pick that one up.

The one that gave the moon phases and corresponding effects was also fun.

Shit, at the end of the day you simply get more stuff to chain with, so it's all great.
>>
>>43811527
That's why you don't play fails day 1. Jesus. Hell, I played a game of Avalon as the bad guys playing nothing but successes.

>Assassin.
>Every good character picks not one, but BOTH minions of Mordred for the missions.
>One player vetoes every time.
>Oh, hai, Merlin.
>>
>>43812973
>more stuff to chain with

This intrigues me. The only issue we've had lately is when draft yields a core and private archives that really do not mesh well. frustrating when there are only 3 cards worth buying.
>>
>>43813058
That's one hell of a clumsy merlin.
>>
>>43813058
The point about the turn one fail was discussed earlier, it creates amusing suspicion about the wrong party from the get go. It works great for bad guys if you pull it off, get ignored as a result until round 5, and then get chosen with one fail left for evil win as the table feels it has no choice.
>>43814084
That is what I was thinking too. Getting all smug about beating a crap merlin is nothing to boast about..
>>
>>43814084
It was their first day with the game, so I spelled out how I knew it was them, so they could have that light in their eyes of "OH, I need to be SNEAKY." They handled it very well.

Then again, I was certain from the get-go. Just an intuition spike turn 1.

>>43814133
Shrug. I've just never seen it work, I guess. It always just turns into a 2 minute shouting match, half the group decides they know which one was evil, and whichever side wins is solely determined by if the current team selector was right or not.

It essentially ends the game 3 turns early, with the rest just being filler.

And I didn't mean to sound boastful, though, looking at my post, it does definitely come across as that. I was trying to give an example of how you can avoid those kind of full-lose situations by focusing on the other facets of the game.

Credit to the Merlin, they didn't OPENLY accuse us of being the bad guys, they always tried to make it about disliking one person. It was mostly the fact that every other good person picked BOTH of the villains that made it a certainty.
>>
>>43814291
Good point on spoiling the late game with the early fail. It does ruin the tension if the final round depends on a coin toss.
>>
Anyone have a chance to play Warhammer Quest?

I got to play it tonight. Was a lot of fun. Art looks amazing and gameplay was simple and intuitive.

Would recommend.

Also, has anyone played Runebound of Pathfinder card game?
>>
I'd like to fuse Monopoly and Risk together. Instead of buying things, you fight for them. I'm thinking that instead of having money, every ten dollars is one troop, and you move your troops around the board.

What else should I consider to make this playable?
>>
>>43820083
The inclusion of Clue, Trivial Pursuit, Uno, and Sorry.
>>
>>43820134
The game to end all boardgames. This is worse than my nested Risk-Stratego-Rockem Sockem Robots game.
>>
Whats the best place online to buy board games?
kinda want to get into playing them and I have some friends who are interested too.

Wanted to pick up some games at my local Target because of their board game sale but i noticed that most of their games are pretty expensive. I was thinking of picking up games like Smallworlds and settlers of catan but they seemed a bit expensive ($40+ range or so).
>>
>>43810960

It's fun the first two times around or playing with new people who are "sorta" into fantasy.

It gets old quick. The game devolves into "let's shit on the guy who's first" and it's really easy to bump someone down a few levels or even into the first level... meaning the games almost never end.

There's not a lot of strategic thinking - it's a glorified War except for the times when you have to hoard cards to prevent the player that's on top winning.

The art-style is only cute for a bit and then you want to puke on the cartoonish drawings.
>>
>>43820188
Coolstuff or miniaturemarket are the big names stateside, with funagain a distant third. Occasionally amazon is cheaper than those when something's on sale.
>>
>>43820367
I have Prime and 10% off everything due to working at a "fulfillment center."
Honestly, I still marginally prefer MM and CSI.
>>
>>43820083
Pretty sure Riskopoly is already a thing.
>>43820188
boardgamegeek and eBay can sometimes throw up a decent bargain.
>>
File: rok1.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
rok1.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
Anyone here have/play Rise of the Kage?

My brother convinced me to back it off Kickstarter, and it has cool figures and the game board is pretty top notch, but the rules are really vague and lacking.
Took a few hours to play a single game while trying to correctly play by the rules.
I'm more of a card and dice based gamer, but starting to enjoy miniatures and campaign stuff.

Also I'm new to this board, hello.
>>
>>43821092

I backed kage too, talked about it here briefly a few times.

>tenchu the board game, sweet!
>wow, lots of minis!
>Man, these rules are kind of shit
>huh, don't even need half these minis
>ninjas sure do feel a bit inferior to guards

Yeahhh I wasn't super impressed with the half baked rules (seems to be a Kickstarter thing lately). As a modeler, I also wasn't happy with the rubbery plastic they used for the minis. The bendy stuff wasn't a big deal, but still the figures feel like they came from a board game in the 90's. Considering it's easier to just put the alert token down instead of replacing the mini entirely with a duplicate that's only different in color, I feel like the price could have been reduced had they not included all the extra guard and ninja models.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very cool game, but the rules need a major rewriting.

I'll also say that in the games I've played, the guy who played the ninjas is kind of shit a tactics. Great memory and he's not dumb in a general sense, but he's kind of shit when it comes to things like this. I decided not to use guard cards against him so we could try "easy mode", and he still struggled. A few others across the web echo the same sentiments about how the guard player feels pretty powerful while the slightest screw up for the ninjas can pretty bad.

>new to /tg/

Hulloo!
>>
>>43821441

Oh, also, the rice card. Having a card that says "look it up in the rulebook" seems lazy as shit to me.
>>
>>43821441
>>43821458
Luckily my brother who I played with is a very strategic thinker and great to play these sort of games with. He won both games we played on the one map, but the first game I didn't know I was even supposed to draw/or how to use guard cards.

The guards needs better alert stats and an easier detection method in my opinion, my brother basically took out anyone he came across with a single die roll, even my red alert guard I managed to get in there.
I was thinking about making a better alert indicator, like a small hula-hoop or something that can be more easily attached than those tiny banana cut-outs.

I've got Dungeon Saga coming soon, am Australian so we got the extras box first and the main two boxes coming in a week or two. Put together all the expac figures and stored them in containers for now, thinking of using the Red Alert guards from Kage as painting test subjects (if they are any good to paint).
>>
>>43821842

Regarding guards...

>did you generate a noise token any time he failed any roll?
>Did you use those tokens on the guards?
>did you position guards well well enough that bro had to constantly make sneak checks?

I mean, the guards are supposed to be fodder on his turn, but once a ninja goes into alert status I found them pretty vulnerable
>>
>>43822121
Evrything except the noise tokens. Could i pay to do multiple movements and checks? Because i was basically only using one check/attack per turn per gaurd and thought if i failed i just had to wait for next turn.
Come to think of it i dont think the rules specified so i probably gave myself that limitation.
>>
>>43822223

I believe that every guard has X amount of actions they can do in a turn, which you can spend noise tokens and the other currency to do. You can only search one time per guard per activation I believe. Even if you can't detect a ninja, putting 2+ guards looking at him at the end of your turn gives you that bonus mod to spot him when he does anything. Careful positioning means even with help he won't be able to go back into hidden mode because he's still within LOS. Since healing is rare (I never found it but I'm sure there's a healing kit in the deck), a turn with 1 movement and 2 or so attacks can be deadly to a ninja, as each hit lowers there capabilities (dice pool). Then you have that one guard who attacks for free if adjacent to a ninja at the beginning of his activation. If the ninja fails to kill him, and you can detect said ninja before you activate that guard, he becomes a murder hurricane.

Don't forget lamps and alarm wired doors too

And then there's the dog. My friend absolutes hated the dog.
>>
What's a good board game to get for a couple? Preferably for $35 or so. They both like Hearthstone and Ticket to Ride. He also loves poker, and I think he enjoys games that depend on probability that evens out over time to make skill the deciding factor. She's an artist so I think she enjoys the aesthetic element of games a lot. She also loves Connect Four. I think maybe she really likes games with clear rules and significantly more complex strategy than there seems to be at first.

I was thinking of some kind of deck building or drafting game, based on the above.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (172 KB, 960x826) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
172 KB, 960x826
About to order these. Anyone played these/can say if theyre worth buying?
>>
>>43822521
I love Ticket to Ride. Only played Pandemic once. We lost. I think we may have missed a rule somewhere.

I've heard generally positive things about the others. Coup is from the same company as The Resistance, which is my favorite game.
>>
>>43822452
I recently got small world and its pretty fun with 2 players.
>>
>>43822521

Played: Pandemic - solid for at least 20-30 games. It boring for us after we figured out a strategy - won most games even on HARD. Its easy to teach and we now play it mostly with new people. I might get an expansion to increase the lifespan.

Haven't played it yet but I've heard that Dead of Winter is great the first time you play then the experience diminishes. Some people do love it though so I guess it might depend on the group.
>>
>>43822452

I like Neuroshima: Hex for two players and me and my gf play it all the time, it certainly fits both requirements - it's easy to get into but hard to master, probability plays a role but I think a player with better strategy can win 90% of time time if not 100%.

All in all: great game, one of my favorites.
>>
>>43822452

Regarding deck builders

>they don't like pvp
Thunderstone

>they like pvp
Nightfall

>they hate fantasy and horror themes, and prolly pvp too
Dominion

>>43822521

My preferences are towards thematic, heavy, and/or miniature based games.

>coup
Never played
>dead of winter
Lost interest after one play through
>king of Tokyo
Fun. Easy to learn and teach. Don't forget to remove "it has a child!" Or whatever card from the deck
>One night
Great for Halloween parties
>pandemic
Lost interest after first play through. Didn't like some of the nonsensical rules.
>ticket to ride
Probably my most hated game if all time. Put down colored lines. Make bigger lines. Stop people from making lines. 0/10 train experience. I generally hate euros though, and a bunch of people tend to like it.
>>
>>43822631
what are some games that you do like?
>>
>>43822521

I think they are all quite good except for Ticket to ride

I couldn't really get into that one.
>>
>>43822452
Morels perhaps?

>>43822521
The few times I've played Dead of Winter I've quite enjoyed it. A bit frustrating once when I got a secret mission that really didn't work well at all with the characters I was given, as well as the main mission.

Ticket to Ride is a nice easy-to-teach game, and I guess a good gateway game, but I'd say that for most people it will lose its appeal after AT MOST 10 plays. There's probably better easy-to-learn/gateway games, and there's definately better train games.
>>
>>43822631

Good luck getting Thunderstone though.
>>
>>43822662

Nueroshima
Thunderstone
Nightfall
Talisman
Relic
Zombicide
Arcadia Quest
Super dungeon explore
Xia
TI3
Summoner Wars
Dungeonquest
Descent
Myth
Chaos in the Old World
Gears of war
Doom
King of Tokyo

I've been up for awhile so my brain isn't doing a great job of remembering what all is on my shelves.
>>
>>43822695

Sumbitch, I kept seeing you guys say it, thought you were talking about Thunderstone classic. That's a major bummer if they real are killing off Thunderstone advance so soon.

In that case I'd recommend DC Deckbuilder. I found legendary to be kind of crap. "It's competitive...but it's not :D!"

Just...no
>>
>>43822757

It could have been all me the last couple of times because I'm eternally buttmad that I can't get it. My friend has dominion and Thunderstone looks solid as an alternative.

I might opt to get Nighfall, though.

I'm a little bit paranoid about board games right now - stuff I take a shine to like seems to disappear: Dune, Starcraft, Thunderstone. I managed to get starcraft at least.
>>
>>43822521
I've only played King of New York and completely hated it. General opinions seem to be positive though, so maybe I fucked up somewhere. Look into KoT a bit more though.
>>
>>43822829

Like...ohh 2 years ago, maybe 1 1/2 years, when classic was drying up, I got into it, only to find all the expansions disappearing or selling for stupid prices. I snagged all of them up, couldn't find the dragon one. Some guy had a copy he let go for super cheap, and the hype was real. Working on making a fancy wooden case to store it all in.

However, now I guess shit repeats itself with advance. Think I've got tower, the swamp one, and numenara.

Some people saying AEG is sticking with selling smash up and disregarding the rest. I hope not. I've got smash up and a couple expansions. It was fun enough the first few times. Then I played people games the fuck out of it by picking broken deck combos. Robbed what little interest was left, think imma just liquidate it now to help pay for Arcadia Quest Inferno.
>>
Smashup is 13.99 on coolstuff. Is it any good?
>>
>>43823020

As a casual time waster 14 bucks isn't bad.

It's needlessly complex and long for what it is, but you can get more mileage out of it than say munchkin
>>
>>43822521
Don't get that version of coup unless you're also getting the reformation expansion. Get G54. Consider getting One Night Revolution instead of One Night Wereworlf. The theming isn't as strong, but there's a lot more of a deductive puzzle to be had. Ticket to ride is pretty bland, especially the base version. Either skip it or get one of the more interesting maps. But that's coming from someone who hates euros, especially light ones, so you're encouraged to ignore my opinion there.
>>
>>43823020
Is really fun and easy to introduce nongamers to, plus I like the faction combinations and seemingly endless but affordable expansions

the core set is all you need to discover for yourself if the game is up your alley, but I doubt there are many people out there that absolutely protest this sweeping generalization.

Want to play a game with your mom that isn't word scrambling or buckets of dice rolling? Smashup

Have a girlfriend that eagerly enjoys competitive fun and hates video games? Smashup

Catch em, catch em, gotta catch em all? Smashup
>>
As I'm the provider of most board games, nothing really
TI3. My group doesn't want to take the time to learn it.
>one
Nah fuck you.
We love Gloom, Dead of Winter, Betrayal, King of Tokyo/NY for breaks, and wh40k
Munchkin anything. None of us have played it and instead have decided to parrot information we've read about it instead of risking time/money to try it out when we could be getting/playing other stuff we will know we'll like.
>>
>>43822886

Yeah I also heard the rumor about AEG. Almost makes me want to design my own Thunderstone-like.
>>
>>43824213
>>43822886
AEG is definitely going to cash in on their two biggest sellers, but the rumors ignore a lot of the smaller releases they have. Not including expansions they had 8 new games this year , 2 already listed for 2016 releases, and one of them is designed by Richard Garfield and looks like it could be cool. A lot of their games don't get big press, and they've dropped some truly terrible stuff (Game of Crowns), but they're definitely not scaling back.
>>
>>43822521
I can recommend the first three.

>Coup
Simple deduction/bluffing game. If you can find it, I'd marginally recommend Love Letter over it, which is much more on a deduction angle, but the lack of a coin resource also makes it easier to play in general locations.

>Dead of Winter
Personally, I like Dead of Winter. The first thing to know is the game personally hates you. Everything is meant to make your life harder. You are going to be fighting to hold onto what meager strengths you have, and fervently hoping that you didn't draw a traitor.

Downsides: It's intimidating when you first set it up, and it has a LOT of bits. It's the kind of game you want to get 2-3 games out of per set-up.

It's actually fairly simple once you set it up, I, while mildly drunk, was able to explain it to other drunk people with little difficulty.

>King of Tokyo
This is a popular simple die game. This is a game you could teach to an 8 year old, and he'd have fun. I taught my mother, who's in her 50s the game, and she likes it.

Personally, I wish there was some sort of half-way point between it and King of New York. King of Tokyo has too many dead options on dice for my taste (the victory points thing is pretty useless unless you have powers that tie to specific rolls.) but King of New York adds too many fiddly bits.
>>
>>43777329
Deathwing is pretty fun if you're into 40k. Used to play it a lot on night shift at the group home I worked at.
>>
I have Carcassonne, The Resistance, Chess, Zombicide, Love Letter, and King of Tokyo.

Please help me expand my collection. I'm interested in...

>better dungeon crawl style games than Zombicide
>more Ameritrashy stuff in general without going full TI3 heavy (at this point)
>mediumish card games
>games that will let me awe my friends with my IRL bluff score but won't make them hate me (more Resistance than Diplomacy)
>>
>>43824851
>>better dungeon crawl style games than Zombicide
Level 7: Omega Protocol, Gears of War, Doom, Descent, Imperial Assault.
>>more Ameritrashy stuff in general without going full TI3 heavy (at this point)
Cosmic Encounter
Chaosmos
Tannhauser
Spartacus
Fury of Dracula
Rex
Kemet
Chaos in the Old World
Dead of Winter/Battlestar Galactica/Dark Moon
>>mediumish card games
Nightfall
Uh. . . Smash up?
>>games that will let me awe my friends with my IRL bluff score but won't make them hate me (more Resistance than Diplomacy)
Coup G54
Sheriff of Nottingham
One Night Resistance
Mafia de Cuba
Two Rooms and a Boom
Cosmic Encounter
Chaosmos
Rex
Fury of Dracula

Probably missing a ton of good suggestions, LAN parties make brains not work right.
>>
>>43824928

>LAN party

If you're not throwing down on a big screen with 7 other friends on some gang beasts, you know not what it means to party
>>
>go to play Pandemic: Legacy with my friends
>"oh boy anon, I can't wait to see if we get a new character"
>"I know friend, tonight will truly be special
>My friend wants to build more bases but his gf wants to cure cities instead
>they end up getting into a passive aggresive complaining match
>we lose due to bad teamwork
>'u-uh it's OK friends let's just play again'
>They keep fighting well into the next game

Holy shit my friends are literally too childish to play board games just kill me now.
>>
>>43825010

>kill me now
>not playing pvp games
>not letting them squabble why you amass your forces
>not wiping them out in one swoop
>not still feeling annoyed for playing with children
>>
>>43824976
There was a ton of 4v4 Regular Human Basketball on our huge-ass wall projector, but no gang beasts this time.
>>
>>43822521

Coup base set is quite weak.
The rebellion g34 version is what you want if you really are set on getting it.
>>
>>43822521
King of Tokyo - Don't Enter the City First: The Game.
>>
Hot tip for The Resistance: If you're a Spy and most of the Resistance is convinced you're a spy, get caught passing not-quite-subtle-enough signals to a member of the Resistance. The more vehemently they deny you're in league with them, the more their allies will think they're lying. And God help them if you come to their defense and insist you didn't pass them a message.
>>
Last night I watched a couple that's been together for almost a year break up over a betrayal in Dead of Winter.

After almost winning the game through good teamwork, one of the players promptly sabotaged a Crisis and dropped our morale to zero to win the game. Her girlfriend starts screaming "I CAN'T EVEN TRUST YOU WITH A BOARD GAME, CAN I? I CANT TRUST YOU WITH ANYTHING!" and storms out in almost tears with the other player following

In retrospect it was probably more a case of a straw breaking the camel's back, but I will always tell this story when trying to sell my buddies on this game from now on
>>
>>43809017
>when everyone but one loyal knows who the spies are but you have that one person so wrapped around your finger they escort you to victory
>>
>>43826583
>mfw playing with that one person who's realised you should stay away from Tokyo and just build up victory points
>>
>>43826726
Are you sure it's really over and not just a fight?
>>
>>43822452
Arctic Scavengers
>>
I got Evolution, it's fun. Is the Flight expansion worth it?
>>
>>43826726
>someone lied to me in a game with a strong deception element that randomly assigned them to be the liar
>they're clearly untrustworthy, better dump them
That girl is better off without this fuckwit.
>>
>>43827183

I think you got things in reverse mang. It's the girl who blew up over a board game.
>>
>>43827183
As the person said, it was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. Imagine already being pissed but trying to get over it, then suddenly the person you're mad at fucks you over in a game. Sure, you probably shouldn't be playing a game with a traitor element until you've worked through the trust issues, but it's not like everything was probably fine and then suddenly HOW COULD YOU LIE TO ME IN THIS GAME?
>>43827208
Reread the post carefully, paying attention to pronouns. They're both women.
>>
Any games good for a 7 and a 9 year old? I'm thinking of getting my stepsisters a board game for Christmas. They got a hang of King of New York easily, and they understand Risk. What would be good but not too complex?
>>
How much luck vs. skill is there in Chaosmos? Is it possible to just get screwed over or just get handed the win without your strategic thinking playing into it at all?
>>
>>43827286
Gemblo, Love Letter, maybe one of those other dice games like Bang!: The Dice Game or Wildlife Rescue.
>>
>>43827294
It's certainly got some strong random elements - the initial starting position of some key cards can dramatically affect the flow of the game, but that also helps lend loads of replayability to it. The dice are also obviously random, but they're rigged for a narrower spread than 2d6 normally is. After a dozen or so plays, I feel like the game is usually much more skill determined than luck, but exceptions do happen. Often the last combat of the game will determine who wins, and a lucky roll can skew that, obviously. But ayers have enough control over positioning, item placement, and building to counter other players that skill tends to win out far more often than not. It's absolutely a very ameritrashy game, but it's one of the most unique and satisfying in my collection.
>>
>>43827286
Castle Panic
Incan Gold would be great (it is one big game of chicken, and hey, teaches basic division!)
Jungle Speed
>>
>>43827533
>>43827319
Castle Panic seems pretty good. Thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>43822521
Ticket to ride is meme-trash, I wouldn't let my dogs try and play that game.

It's fucking boring, un-engaging, and overall a terrible game.
>>
>>43828879

Bless you anon, you speak truth
>>
>>43827641
>>43827533
Oh man I totally forgot about castle panic. I played it at a game night at a store forever ago but completely forgot about it.

It plays well with two, right? We had played it with four, but I don't think two would have any issues aside from maybe a lack of card variety to choose from for trading?
>>
Out of town buddy is back from med school, and we gaming tonight.
We focus on Ashes, Battlecon, or our favorite game to burn the midnight oil on, Summoner Wars?
>>
>>43829945
Yes
>>
>>43822344
Thanks for that info.
and yes, the dog is hilarious.
>>
File: bringit (2).jpg (30 KB, 133x118) Image search: [Google]
bringit (2).jpg
30 KB, 133x118
>>43830133
That is what I thought.
>>
Took advantage of the Amazon buy 2 get 1 free deal to pick up Eclipse, Dead of Winter and Five Tribes.

D-did I do good /bgg/?
>>
>>43830778
not bad that's for sure
>>
>>43822631
>stealth posting the "dominion has no theme" meme
>>
>>43831478
dominion literally has no theme, you could slap whatever you want onto it and you get the same game
>>
>>43831739
But then I couldn't call someone who does nothing but:
Village x8
Draw tons
Buy a silver

A village idiot.
>>
Summoner Wars, my second Summoner cloaks vs second Summoner vanguard, both custom decks using all available cards for the two factions.
I get wrecked first game, managing to sneak in 5 damage into Samuel through wall teleporting, but fall to too many opposing dudes and a really angry old lady that can't die.

Second game, go super aggressive, get another early 5 damage in Samuel, have snipers pew pewing and won't die as the admiral soaks the hits for them.

Late game, we pass without doing anything but building back and forth, he spends 14 magic for two hulking champions. He thinks he's got this.

But then, out of the shadows! The spider comes out, moves to the back row. Samuel moves a guardian knight and a monk around him, trying to swarm my last ditch effort at a win. 2 damage rolled on the spider, but hes far from dead and the champs are no longer advancing on my Summoner.

Little does he know I have an ace up my sleeve. The knives come out, stabbing the poor guard during the events phase. The spider moves right beside samuel, into the back row. Two dice rolls, two hits! Samuel I'd at 1 life. But what's this? The spider can bounce to a wall at end of turn if he's in the opponents back row, pinging a Summoner for one final damage. A win despite two scary champs bearing down on Jexic.

Damn, I love this game. Ti3 chick, if you're out there, pick up second Summoner decks. You won't regret it. They are so much fun.
>>
Tons of shit I want on the B2G1 Amazon, but I'm needing some help with what to do. My main want is Eclipse, at $65, The problem is that all my other wants (besides Zombicide, a low want) are not even half of that.

Should I just go ahead and grab Eclipse and two other cheaper things or what? I'm also debating on skipping Armada stuff and expensive stuff and just picking up some cheaper games like Sushi Go!, Love Letter, etc.

Here's a list of shit I'm wanting if anyone cares:
>Eclipse
>Zombicide
>7 Wonders
>Takenoko
>Sheriff of Nottingham
>MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers (fuck you it looks fun)
>Smash Up
>Resistance
>Sushi Go!
>Love Letter Boxed Edition

Star Wars Armada:
>Assault Frigate MKII
>Gladiator-Class Star Destroyer
>Nebulon-B Frigate
>CR90 Corellian Corvette
>>
>>43832241
I love Smash Up but rarely have more than one other person to play games with, and it's one of those games that is really back and forth with two players. You need the third person to act as the fulcrum to tip the balance of the game.
>>
>>43832298
I find it as one of the few games that is best at 3. 4 and games go on forever. 2, its that one on one mode you speak of that no longer feels whacky and out of control.

3 is best.
>>
>>43832241

Honestly i feel Eclipse is worth it. In the end you are still saving money and getting a board game for free. So buy the games you actually want, cost aside, and enjoy it.

My personal recommendation for the other two would be 7 Wonders and Love Letter.

Really want to take advantage of the deal as well, but all of the games I really want someone in my board game group owns.

The downside is that we hardly have gotten together the past 4 months for any sort of gaming. They end up being dead buys if the group gets back together or a chance for them to still be dead buys because all my other friends only like the most casual of board games.

EHHHHHH
>>
>>43820083
Perhaps have each territory be like a castle, and each color is a country. You can move all your troops X number(fuck rolling a die for movement, keep it limited) on your turn, but you can only fight for it with what you have on that square. Every round, you draw cards from a deck a la Pandemic to have certain kingdoms reveal their allegiance is for sale. So the entire board is open, but properties only slowly become available. If there are no troops within 3 spaces of a new territory however it gets reshuffled. War for territories doesn't begin until the next round starts, and all armies on the property in question must fight for it.

As for movement, what if you have to move every troop you have at least one square to represent not destroying a landscape by camping armies there indefinitely. However, when you claim a country(own a color) you can erect strongholds(houses) which can hold soldiers that don't need to move. There's a limit to how many troops you can hold, however, each stronghold/house on it can only contain perhaps 10-15 troops. If you encounter someone else's stronghold, you can't stop your troops on it without paying fealty(rent), or risk engaging in a battle with them.
>>
File: DSC_0009.jpg (102 KB, 714x1010) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0009.jpg
102 KB, 714x1010
Anyone of you guys ever played this?
It's a hex&chit game where you play out the entire korean war apparently. I bought it at a local flea market for a 5 bux so i probably made out like a bandit.
>>
>>43832298

>love smash up

If you ever meet someone who knows how to play the wizard deck very well, be ready to watch your love murdered before your eyes.

I guess I'm just super casual at heart, no matter how long i play something. Watching a guy take what felt like 3 turns sometimes, and basically becoming the road block of player rotation because of all the extra shuffling and moving cards around, was a pretty miserable experience.
>>
Merchants of Venus for $25 at FF's holiday sale. Talk me out of it, /tg/.
>>
>>43832969
$17 shipping.
>>
>>43832979
>>43832969
>>43832241

Fucking Canadian dollar in the shit and no job, grumble grumble...
>>
>>43832979
$42 is still almost 50% off...
>>
>>43832241
Exodus > Eclipse if you're looking for something ti3-esque
>>
>>43832558
I've never played it in a serious setting with anyone yet, so never really thought about combinations in a strategic manner like you would for other card games.
I heard someone who went to a game expo had a similar experience where a kid was just using his go-to combination and wrecking everyone there.

Still haven't played with every deck myself, and want to buy the sci-fi pack just because it looks cool.
>>
>>43775878
We used to like dominion but I didn't like the durdling involved
I really like the new arena of the planeswalkers magic board game.
We love betrayal at house on haunted hill.
Definitely cosmic encounters. Too much politics.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.