[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have been for no real reason been thinking of a system that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 5sideddie2.jpg (71 KB, 477x430) Image search: [Google]
5sideddie2.jpg
71 KB, 477x430
I have been for no real reason been thinking of a system that consolidates damage and accuracy in a weird way.

Defenses are arranged in "layers", and the accuracy of an attack determines which layer it strikes. Each individual die of the accuracy roll is checked against the durability of the layer to see if it damages it.

So if a 3d5 sword strikes a durability 3 layer, and the rolls are 2, 3, 2, it will inflict one point of damage on that layer. What exactly that point of damage will do is dependent on the layer, and some layers may do things even if part of an attack fails to inflict damage(like minor wounds on flesh).

Are there any interesting properties of doing things that way?
>>
Could you explain this system a little bit better? What happens if I example roll is 4, 4 and 5?
>>
One interesting property of the system is that you will never see a second session of a campaign using it, because too much math and too much rolling.
>>
>>43774066
While your example is bad, i do kinda get what your trying here. The biggest problem i forsee is having to look up and cross reference many charts; if each layer has a different chart and you did two attacks which did damage to different layers etc. Lots of finicky paperwork, thats not to say it wont work but it could bog the game down it make GMing a nightmare.

An alternate approach would be that the more success you have on the attack the more damaging the weapon is.
Ie on a d10 you need a 4 or higer to hit, if you roll a 6 the weapon does 2 points of extra damage/or increases the power of the weapon/or decreases the resistance of the target.

The damage mechanic is also quite important, if you have hitpoints or wound levels or just the damage charts
>>
File: what-the-fuck-are-you-reading.png (2 MB, 1098x750) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck-are-you-reading.png
2 MB, 1098x750
I'm not sure I understand.

Say we have a rogue who is good at dodging wearing leather armor. Say we also have a fighter who isn't as good at dodging wearing the same leather armor. Two identical dagger attacks are aimed at them, one at each. Both attacks are directed at the same layer, the leather armor. That would mean that they would both be hit (or not) and both take the same amount of damage, no matter what their dodge ratings were. Am I missing something here?
>>
>>43775998
Dodging itself would be a layer. The spread for a naked human, opting to defend itself with both arms, would be something like this:
Evasion 3/*/*
[Arm] Flesh 2/2/3 (Bone 0/3/2)
[Arm] Flesh 2/2/3 (Bone 0/3/2)
Flesh 5/2/5
Vital */3/3

The three numbers are Defense/Durability/Hits. Accuracy 4 will get past their evasion and be blocked by an arm, accuracy 8 will get past their arms and strike the flesh of their body. Accuracy 13+ will strike the vitals. 3 hits on the arm will destroy the flesh layer, leaving only the bone layer(the arm is mangled, so it can no longer be used to defend). Attacks that pierce can move the rest of their dice onto the next layer if one die gets a hit.
>>
>>43776385
Hmm. That's actually pretty intriguing. I've got a soft spot for crazy autistically granular systems. This seems like it would be good for a Dwarf Fortress system. I've got some other ideas floating around in my head for that. I'll write yours down too.

>captcha: Murtuff contact
>>
File: LikeIt.jpg (24 KB, 378x363) Image search: [Google]
LikeIt.jpg
24 KB, 378x363
>>43776385
>>
Page 10 bump
>>
>>43776385
>>43774066
This sounds like a damage threshold system.

Not all that new.
>>
>>43780844
Where else has this sort of system been used?
>>
>>43781727
Anything with a damage threshold. Literally. Technically even a flat damage reduction from armor system is a form of damage threshold system specifically for HP-centric systems.

Sword in OP rolls 3 inputs (2 3 2) and is compared against multiple numbers each with different outcomes. Most use one input and one comparison number. Each wound threshold has associated status effects or other counters depending on the system. Lets say you roll a 18 as one input and the one comparison number for the threshold is 4 in a system with a linear scale of X+6:
18 vs.
10 = A happens
16 = A+B happens
24 = A+B+C happens
30 = etc
Clearly for an input of 18 then A+B happens.

All you've done is complicated things with multiple inputs to check against complex thresholds.
18 12 16 vs
10/0/0 = A happens
12/5/7 = A+B / M / W happens
14/8/9 = A+B+C / M+N /W+Y happens
etc

This IS perfectly usable if your character sheet isn't complete garbage. You're going to want a running summary line for each of the three numbers, not just the values for each layer individually.

Go full autismo with this for mix-n-match armor components using heavy or inflexible armor penalties on different body components. Can't think of a better use for it.
>>
>>43774066
>>43776385
So it's a wounds threshold system made overcomplicated in a way that doesn't add to anything and only makes things slow and clunky.
>>
>>43776385
I'm still confused but that might just be because I'm drunk.

Can you give us an example of a fight between two characters?
>>
>>43774066
I've gotta be honest you're not doing a good job to explain yourself OP. But from what I think you're getting is various damage reduction dependent on hit location.

Is not a bad idea but you should probably simplify it at least until you've got a better grasp on explaining the basic concept more.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.