[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, or Magic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 116376239_Misc_xlarge.jpg (13 KB, 350x175) Image search: [Google]
116376239_Misc_xlarge.jpg
13 KB, 350x175
Friends and I have dabbled in and out of various card games over the years. Decided we should get into one of them. Options are Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Magic. We already have some cards for all three games. Which one should we go for, /tg/? Convince us.
>>
Duel Masters
>>
>>43773822
nah bro

Chaotic
>>
>>43773778
yu-gi-oh is decent. no one seems to know the official rules of pokemon, but if you can find people that do that can be fun. never checked out MTG

haven't really checked out yu-gi-oh/ pokemon card games in years now though
>>
>>43773778
WIXOSS
>>
>>43773778
MTG has varied format's of play with multiple variations of Constructed, Limited and casual play. It also offers most depht for experienced players. It is the most expensive though.

Pokémon and Yu-gioh are decent but the power creep is insane and there's not much in terms of balance.
>>
Cardfight Vanguard if your lgs carries it
>>
>>43773778
I play MTG the most because it's the most balanced and has normal people playing it, but my favorite is Cardfight Vanguard despite the retarded powercreep and how luck based it is.

The suck thing is that there is no local scene for me to play it.
>>
I play Yu-Gi-Oh with some friends. What's been said already is true. Power creep is gross and very real in ygo.

It's relatively cheap though.

I've been interested in Magic but none of my friends want to try that. Also from what I hear it can get expensive, and its sad that like every 9 months or whatever a new format is released and the old one is abandoned... Like sure there's a banned list of cards in YGO but at least a good majority of the cards are useable, albeit not a lot are viable especially older cards.
>>
>>43773778
Yugioh has some really cheap decks that are fun to play and are competitive, most can be quite expensive, but decks are rotated frequently by banlist and by powercreep. Some decks require complex lines of thinking, Medium difficulty. Price range:$30(some tier 2 deck)-$500(Tier 0)

Magic the gathering has cheap casual formats but expensive competitive formats, formats with bigger card pools require more expensive decks but rotate less often (standard has yearly rotation, eternal formats decks only die because of rare bans). Complexity gets biggers the more cards the format has, constructed goes from medium difficulty to really hard depending on format.

Pokemon I have played the less, is between yugioh and magic in deck price. It has an eternal format and a rotating one. I'd say medium difficulty.

I'll comment some other games I also played that are quite popular.

Cardfight! Vanguard is more affordable now than it used to be, you can get some deck as cheap as in yugioh but many clans are quite expensive, the game is far less complex than the others, it has a crit system with make some games end because a lucky crit. Easy game, lots of decks are "autopilot". Heavy powercreep that will make most of your cards useless.

Weiss I don't know how expensive a good deck can be but it has the same flaws of vanguard in gameplay, I would only recommend this game if you really want to play a deck from a certain anime.

You also have LCG (Living card games), these aren't sold in randomized packs but instead you buy boxes of cards with all cards of an expansion which makes them "cheaper". One deck is more expensive than, say, a budget TCG deck, but since you buy all cards of an expansion, you can have all decks in the game by far less of what the expensive decks of a TCG costs. From these the one known the most is Android Netrunner, is quite complex and it based a lot more on mind games than any of the others. Medium-Hard Difficulty.
>>
>>43773778
Magic the Gathering probably has the most depth from a Kitchen table standpoint, though Yu-Gi-Oh can be good fun in that area as well. On the competitive level, Yu-Gi-Oh really only has one tournament style dominated by the newest and most expensive netdeck, and while Magic does have drafts which aren't pay to win, all the other formats are.

Just for playing with friends though, I'd say Magic, if only because multiplayer games are easier to make sense of.

Outside of them though, an LCG like Netrunner could be another good option.

Whatever you do though, make sure and talk with your friends about how far you're willing to go with it, mainly in terms of spending. Kitchen table stops being fun if 3 guys show up with Intro decks modified slightly, one guy shows up with two of the same intro deck slapped together with itself to maximize the number of good cards, and the last guy went and bought a ton of booster packs and built a powerhouse out of them.

Basically, agree with your friends to not get into an arms-race.
>>
>>43773839
I have way too much of that god damn game I only knew like 3 people who even fucking played it
>>
File: 1421822425619.jpg (175 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
1421822425619.jpg
175 KB, 556x777
>>43773778
force of will > any other tcg
>>
None, Android: Netrunner... are you retarded? It's 2015, COME ON!
>>
Pokemon is pretty fun, but not interactive. It's more about calculated risk/reward. It also has bad imbalance (a good game has carefully designed imbalance to reward player skill) All the multiplayer is bad, so only 2 players. If you like crazy combos, this game is amazing, since every deck is what magic players would call a combo deck.

Mtg is very interactive and the Commander Format is great for casual multiplayer among friends. The interaction can lead to both fulfilling and complicated things happening. One of you needs to be "the judge" and get really familiar with the rules every once in a while. It also has the bonus of being very easy to proxy, so you don't need real cards.

As much as it looks like I bad talked-Pokemon, I'd recommend both.
>>
File: image.png (898 KB, 500x633) Image search: [Google]
image.png
898 KB, 500x633
Vanguard, the power creep is getting old more balanced everyday and it's really a fun game
Also a clan no one gave a shit won recently the major tournament (Angel feather )
>>
>>43775054 Came here to post this.
>>
>>43783437
>Also a clan no one gave a shit won recently the major tournament (Angel feather)
Wait, what? Can you give me a link or something? I can't find any news on the game since cardfight pro shut down.
>>
>>43773778
YGO's rules are presented in a confusing way.
Pokemon's rules are simple.
MTG's rules can seem daunting, but are fine once you get the swing of it and are deep.

For playing around with your buds any of them should work. Packs should be around the same for each. MTG packs might seem like more, but they have 15 cards in them instead of 10.
MTG starter decks are bad to OK, but come with two boosters.
YGO starter decks are good. You can buy three of them and smash them together to make a decent competitive deck.
Pokemon has OK starter decks. You'll need one or two to get enough energy (resource) cards to make anything. If you don't feel like buying a starter box.
Both MTG and PKMN have starter kit style boxes. They come with several packs, the box to put your crap in, and resource cards. Some PKMN ones might come with card sleeves as well.
>>
>>43782320
>Literally broke the game in half during the first fucking legal block outside of Japan.
>Good.
Just fucking stop. Please.
>>
>>43773778
I'd guess it would come down to the number of friends you have joining you. If only 2 or 3 I'd say Magic since it is probably more popular locally and you can more easily find other players. If more players and all of you can tolerate the new generations of Pokemon then I'd say Pokemon. They both have problems but out of your three options they can both be enjoyable.

Yu-Gi-Oh is a pile of shit and should be avoided.

I would also throw Buddyfight into the mix but the recent sets have started the dreaded power creep and the English version has been getting dicked over since the beginning. I loved this game but its future is grim.
>>
File: IMG_20151109_003914.jpg (154 KB, 800x651) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151109_003914.jpg
154 KB, 800x651
>>43782387
>>
>>43784919
pls respond
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.