[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does your swordsperson not use halbschwert and mordhau against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: history05table50.jpg (15 KB, 315x223) Image search: [Google]
history05table50.jpg
15 KB, 315x223
Why does your swordsperson not use halbschwert and mordhau against armored enemies?

>But my character is strong enough to cleave through armor!
If you have superhuman strength and use proper armor-piercing techniques like halbschwert and mordhau to get through armor, you can instantly kill even the most armored opponent.
>>
>>43769302
Because my swordperson is not using a German long sword.

Seriously, one of them has a chainsword (40k) and trying to do half-swording or murder-stroke with it might end up messy... Besides, he likes swinging two swords at once a lot more.

Another one has a British naval style sword so neither of those techniques would work on it.

And the last one is a Vargr and he simply has not even heard about ancient German sword fighting techniques and prefers to swing a sword in the way of his own people. And if you think that a genetically modified space wolf is going to take lessons from some puny humans who found an old book you are going to be sorely disappointed.
>>
>>43769302
depends

does the system have something that makes "normal" usage of swords less effektive against plate?
we pretty much require sword fighters to use these techniques against full plate armor or similiar protection
>>
>>43769302

I've been watching this all day and can't get over how badass it is.

One of the knights does the murderstroke at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1HkuGUaNBY
>>
>>43769302
I prefer Kampfringen and dagger
>>
>>43769302
But a few of my sword using characters do.
>>
File: 0000135.gif (94 KB, 1200x299) Image search: [Google]
0000135.gif
94 KB, 1200x299
>>43769352
>Another one has a British naval style sword

Halfswording may still work. For a single edged blade that you can't comfortably rap your hand around you can simply place your left hand on the spine for support, and something like a pipe-back sabre should be very "graspable".
>>
>>43769302
>Why does your swordsperson not use halbschwert and mordhau against armored enemies?
System doesn't give them any bonuses so why the fuck bother.
>>
Because that results in losing a hand if you try it with a lightsaber
>>
File: 0rZsh.jpg (137 KB, 650x866) Image search: [Google]
0rZsh.jpg
137 KB, 650x866
>>43769419
That just gave me a huge manly medieval boner.

What the fuck is this?
>>
>>43769302
Because I have to hold on to my shield.
>>
>>43769496
>System doesn't give them any bonuses
Well that's what the GM is for, isn't it? To fill in the gaps
>>
>>43769544
No.
>>
>>43769302
The combat system is based on a model for Ironclad-style naval vessels and not sword fighting.
>>
>>43769551
Well, my GM gives me bonuses for halfswording/murderstrokeing if applicable and I like it that way to be honest.
>>
>>43769419
While I don't know if I like the game mode, how you actually seem to control your sword in this game looks pretty fucking nice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayHIEYv6Fz0
>>
>>43769302
Isn't halfswording mostly about wrassling at the sword and such? Most games don't model anything like that, do they.
>>
>>43769302
Why knave,

Wherefore wilt i carryeth thy o'erly cumb'some halbschwert 'nd mordhau, if i can carryeth mine holy sword into battleth?

Why carryeth a tool that only s'rves one purpose, that to defeat armor, if I, can carryeth a sword, which would s'rves all purposes, if i useth the meet dueling technique?

Thou sire, seems liketh a fool.

I urge thy to remove thy fedora, and participateth in the discussion liketh a proper ser.
>>
>>43769698
Holy shit, I literally can't read this. My eyes just slip off.
>>
>>43769645
>Chop at sternum kills a knight in plate armor
Dropped
>>
>>43769698
Polearms have longer reach
>>
>>43769690
Halfswording is gripping the sword at the hilt and blade to have more accurate control over the swords tip, so you can thrust it into unarmored parts of your enemy.
Murderstroking is gripping it entirely at the blade and swinging with the grip/guard/pommel to have a more hammer like effect due to the swords weight being more distributed towards that end.
That's how/why they did it afaik.
Don't know if Skallagrim is liked here or not, but here's his video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwuQPfvSSlo
>>
>>43769705
It is pretty funny tho

> Why knave
> Must I carry only your cumbersome halberd and mordhau, if I can carry my holy sword into battle?
> Why carry a tool that serves only one purpose, that to defeat enemies in armor, if I can carry a sword, which would serve all purposes, if only I employ the correct technique?
> You sir, seems like a fool.
> I urge you to remove your fedora, and join the discussion like a proper gentleman.
>>
>>43769698
>Wherefore wilt i carryeth thy o'erly cumb'some halbschwert 'nd mordhau

Like your brain, they weight nothing and occupy no space. Contrary to your brain, their function requires neither.
>>
>>43769302
Because, while the blade of his sword is magically sharp and extra choppy, the hilt is not. Also monsters generally don't die instantly and getting a sword out is easier when it didn't go in the wrong end forward.
>>
File: 16c_tournament.jpg (14 KB, 700x145) Image search: [Google]
16c_tournament.jpg
14 KB, 700x145
>>43769690
Some halfsword-based techniques go into that territory, others don't. I haven't bothered to count to see which are the most common. Though given the close range you're going to end up at, wrestling will obviously become and option for both you and your opponent even if the specific technique you're trying doesn't count as such.
>>
>>43769738

This knave thinks the advantage of longer reacheth shall mitigate his lack of art and skill in the melee.

I weepeth at thy frailness of the mind.

Any artful knight with a sword shall runeth thou through or vanquish thou, if only his technique be perfecteth, no mattereth if ye be in heavy armor, of if thou sporteth a polearm or nay.
>>
File: Leonidas-300.jpg (44 KB, 300x209) Image search: [Google]
Leonidas-300.jpg
44 KB, 300x209
>>43769786
>if only his technique be perfecteth

If
>>
>>43769786
>his knave thinks the advantage of longer reacheth shall mitigate his lack of art and skill in the melee.
Yes, that exactly what it does in groups.
>>
>>43769750

Cumbersome translates to awkward or graceless in old english.

And calm down son, it's ok you like to masturbate with a polearm inside your anus, we get your fixation with weaponry that makes you a special snowflake. But don't get all worked up of someone doesn't think your magical weapon is the end all of all medieval weapons.

However it's hilarious that you think anyone with a polearm can instantly defeat a knight in armor, even if that person has no skill or ever fought someone. Real life isn't RPGs son, there are no buffs of +1 for weaponry. Yes, halbeards can pierce armor, but it's not like if they put your overweight ass into a ring with a bloodied Teutonic Knight and give you a polearm, you are insta-winning.

Calm down sunflower.
>>
>>43769822

This knave thinks the melee only transpires in the formeth of a skirmish!

He accounts not f'r the cavalry chargeth! Nor the chargeth of the armed peasantry us'd f'r cannon fodd'r.

He thinks the battleth transpires as one single formeth of melee! Oh, how i weepeth f'r thy frail mind.

He f'rgets an meet Kings army is compos'd by sev'ral men, each with individual functions.

The pesantry, the artilhery, the archery, the fre'd men and squires, the knaves and foot knights, the lighteth and heavy cavalry! Each to be us'd by the command'r as the battleth calls f'r it

oh how i weepeth.

This knave wouldst hast us believe that if thou arm a bunch of filthy peasants with polearms, the battleth wouldst be won in a minute! Oh how I weepeth.

Thy be not a knight nor a knave. Thou be ignorant, and I weepeth for thy frail mind.
>>
>>43769830
We don't see knights in plate armor anymore, Firearms and polearms made them redundant.

Also, I need to rewrite Navy Seal copypasta in Ye Olde English.
>>
>>43769879

Then what's the need for a weapon designed for fighting someone in armor?

I could just shoot you in the chest.

By god man, logical fallacies.
>>
>>43769879

Wait, you are actually talking about using said weapon in modern times? And you start that with the argument of "This weapon can pierce armor", then follow up with "We don't use armor nowadays?"

Are you seriously retarded? What the hell.

In modern times someone would just shoot your ass.

>This neckbeard is thinking about going after someone with a polearm.
>>
>>43769352
>Another one has a British naval style sword so
But halfswording still works on that one, since it still has a stab point.
>>
>>43769830
Are you drunk? Tripping balls?
>>
>>43769919
Too short do do it properly.
Surprisingly, german longsword shit works with a german longsword and not much else.
>>
File: 1426115045343.gif (544 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1426115045343.gif
544 KB, 600x338
>>43769302
Ah but my swordsman DID have to murderstroke! Up against a monster which seemed to be able to tighten it's muscles to the point of impenetrable armor and heal any slicing or piercing damage, I had to think fast and beat the fuck out of it with my pommel!
>>
My swordsperson most certainly does. Those techniques just use the same rolls as regular attacks, and everything else is fluff.
It's nice when both you and the GM study Renaissance martial arts.
>>
>>43769302
He halfswords, mostly when using a sword in the tight confines of a hold, but in the naval pseudo 1790s setting armour isn't commonly heavy enough to merit using a basket hilt as a club.
He'll pommel a motherfucker though, so there's that.
>>
>>43769302
He mostly carries a shield into combat, for bludgeoning blows and defense.
Should his magical sword not be able to directly penetrate armor, he would do his best to disarm his opponent first and render him immobile before ditching the shield and falling back to armor-piercing blows.
>>
>>43769352
Would those techniques even work in Traveller? I think battle dress and combat armour would still protect you against blunt impact quite well, and it's possible the flexible material around the joints is either very tough, or some kind of pressure sensitive material that stiffens if you try to pierce it.
>>
>>43769698
>>43769738
I don't think either of you know what "halbschwert" or "mordhau" means.
>>
>>43769302
Most armor people wear in the setting isn't comparable to plate armor in coverage or impenetrability, and shields are really pretty good to use.
>>
>>43769302
Shouldn't you be furiously masturbating to elves with the rest of the SoS crowd?
>>
>>43769894
Which weapon are you talking about, the halbschwert or the mordhau?
>>
>>43769302
Ser, I appreciate your concern, but I've got this pole hammer for a reason.
>>
>>43773438
I very well know what halfsword and murderstrike means
>>
>>43769698
>>43769786
>>43769830
>>43769876
Halbschwert and mordhau are sword techniques, not polearms.
>>
>>43769302
If the system doesn't specify the details of each strike, you can just assume that an attack is made with the best technique your character knows, as represented by their weapon skill or what have you. If you want to get verbose about it, that's good role playing.
>>
File: 1415511729263.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1415511729263.jpg
70 KB, 1280x720
>>43770290
dammit Masoyoshi why are you so gay
>>
>>43769302
he does, it just usually gets described as: "you and your opponent are in combat. Roll to hit."
>>
File: 1447815518454.jpg (30 KB, 800x215) Image search: [Google]
1447815518454.jpg
30 KB, 800x215
>>43769302
>swordsperson

is this a meme? its swordsmen. there are no swordswomen
>>
>>43769302
I'm pretty sure you can't mordhau or halfsword with a katana and she uses guns more than half the time anyway.
>>
>>43775578
>there are no swordswomen
Is this some kind of meme?
>>
>>43776660
yeah it a meme. we normally just call it reality though
>>
>>43769302
Self-defense answer: I'm shit at swordfighting
Real answer: There aren't rules for it in any system I use
>>
>>43769302
As a barbarian, it's not my job to know about fancy swordplay. My job is to kill shit and take their valuables until I have enough gold to buy out a small kingdom.
>>
Because I'm not a history sperg playing a system where that kind of minutiae is modelled.
>>
>>43777093
>reality
>on a board made for grown men to argue about the best way to play make-believe
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>43780252
Anon he is already playing make believe.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.