[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People with Assimilative Powers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: evolva-1.jpg (111 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
evolva-1.jpg
111 KB, 953x953
Tell me /tg/, what do you think of characters that have the ability to assimilate the enemies they slew and making their powers and abilities their own? And I'm not talking here about Tyranids or The Thing, but sentient beings that happen to have such abilities.

I know the example I'll give isn't /tg/ related and more /v/ related, but Evolva's Genohunters have this kind of ability to absorb genetic materials from the local fauna (as well creatures that aren't part of it) and gain unique abilities, improved physical capabilities and weapons such as claws, shootable spikes, flamethrower breathes and more.

What do you think of them /tg/?
>>
>>43769177
Would make for tricky bosses I'd say. Or powerful NPC allies.
>>
>>43769177
It would also be an intressting mechanic for player advancement in case they play something with that ability.

Instead of loot, you can grant new physical traits, maybe limited by some sort of capacity stat to keep the power level under control and the party diverse, so not just everyone takes any ability of everything they ever defeated.
>>
>>43769246
> Party defeats the giant magical mantis shrimp boss
> The male monk assimilates the clubs
> The female wizard assimilates the shrimp's brain tissue to expand her mind
> The rouge assimilates the eyes and sees the world in 16 different colors
> The cleric assimilates the armor and looks fabulous

Nice indeed.
>>
>>43739582>>43769277
Mantis shrimp? The motherfucking animal of death doom and destruction? Whose punches evaporate water with sheer friction?
>>
>>43769332
Be glad I didn't have put in the pistol shrimp.

Bastard's even faster and more destructive than the mantis shrimp.
>>
>>43769277
> Sorceress slays succubus
> Assimilates her corpse for extra power
> Now she has to avoid men because she literally cannot shut down the aura of lust she emanates
>>
>>43769177
>>I know the example I'll give isn't /tg/ related and more /v/ related, but Evolva's Genohunters have this kind of ability to absorb genetic materials from the local fauna (as well creatures that aren't part of it) and gain unique abilities, improved physical capabilities and weapons such as claws, shootable spikes, flamethrower breathes and more.

To be frank I think Evolva had so much more going for itself than the in game stuff showed. All the concept was cool but the abilities where really poorly balanced and the fact that you had infinite ammo really didn't help. I didn't even notice any real difference between the squad members, they looked different and their stats (apparently) were different but I never noticed any difference even after I was desperately trying to specialize them like the big guy for melee and the small guy for flamethrowing etc. The missions were really boring and the random platforming sections where Devil May Cry level frustrating.
>>
>>43769965
Yeah. On the other hand the ammo quickly ran out and forced you to swap weapons.
>>
>>43769177
OP a more "down to earth" version of "assimilating" a creature's abilities is basically done by gaining XP or looting the corpses of enemies. You kill it and gain something, you can gain it by taking their items and thus gaining their power or like Monster hunter using the body to craft items.

Assimilating is just basically the same thing just more sci-fi like Megaman or the Digimon setting is basically about that that the digimon fight and the winner assimilates the loser's "data" which is basically the prime power source.

If you are going wit the assimilation route you need to keep it in mind to make it a double edged sword and have redundancy for repeated use. Just getting the strengths/benefits of everything and none of the weaknesses/drawbacks will go out of control very very fast. Especially if the one doing the assimilation can selectively cherry pick what he wants and doesn't want.
>>
>>43770112
Technically that's only true for Digimon Tamers.

In all other Digimon seasons Digimon get stronger through their human partners.
>>
>>43770112
Right.

That's why not only there should be a limit, but also a risk that if you overdo with the assimilation routine, you'll turn into a not!Chaos Sp...ya know what I mean.

And if you want a new ability and you're full, then you have to discard the ones you have.
>>
>>43770112
A good prime example of another kind of assimilation is Emerl from Sonic Battle. By fighting other characters, he gains their moveset, one move at a time.
>>
>>43769965
>The missions were really boring and the random platforming sections where Devil May Cry level frustrating.
Not to mention,the third mission is made damn near impossible if you don't grow your Hunters right. due to the fact you lose if all the local wildlife at the start gets killed off.
>>
File: CC.png (603 KB, 516x654) Image search: [Google]
CC.png
603 KB, 516x654
Just remembered that the Harrowed in Deadlands: Reloaded can do something like that
>>
>>43770276
Nice.
>>
>>43770243
It's actually very easy.

You quickly waltz near the entrance from which the Parasite Creatures come and switch to flamethrower breath.
>>
>>43770436
I did not optimize my fast guy for fast, and the giant tortoises tried to kill me.
>>
>>43770496
Darn. Talk about optimization.
>>
File: Accel World Dusk Taker.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Accel World Dusk Taker.png
1 MB, 1366x768
Is there any way to balance a player character who can directly steal abilities and powers, removing them from the original host?

(I may be playing a PbP RP and have to fight one of these guys in an arena setting, any suggestions?)
>>
>>43771313
Have an upper limit to how many of them he can take.

Also make it so that using abilities costs him rolling a willpower roll or whatever roll that represents willpower. The more abilities he has, the more difficult willpower roll it will require.

Going over the upper limit will result in him going insane and turning into a abominable monstrosity ala: The Blob or The Thing.

If he wants to steal an ability, then he needs to discard one of the ones he has (not to mention that discarding them will result in permanently losing them) to make room for it.
>>
>>43769923
Pfffff. That's what you get for being greedy.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.