[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
This is the official thread for all discussion pertaining to the modern format of Magic the Gathering
First some questions just to get discussion going
>Do you think any cards will be added or removed from the ban list? Do any cards need to be banned or are there any cards you would like to be unbanned?

>What's your personal favorite sideboard card?

>What's the deck you find most interesting in the format?
>>
>>43763659
Scavenging Ooze
>>
Reminder that WotC is waiting for Amulet Bloom to spike a GP so it can ban Summer Bloom.

If you don't already own the deck then don't bother buying it.
>>
>>43763815
>WotC will ban Amulet Bloom
Why do people keep saying this? The deck isn't even that good. Splinter Twin is the best combo deck there is and nothing out of there is banned.
>>
>>43763903
Because Splinter Twin can't T2 kill. It's also a lot easier to disrupt the Splinter Twin combo than it is Amulet Bloom.
>>
File: 0002_MTGG14_Judge_EN_FF copy.png (162 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
0002_MTGG14_Judge_EN_FF copy.png
162 KB, 265x370
Does this look like a solid Twin list?

4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforests
3 Steam Vents
3 Sulfur Falls
2 Shivan Reef
4 Islands
2 Mountains

4 Snapcaster Mage
4 Deceiver Exarch
3 Pestermite
3 Vendilion Clique

4 Splinter Twin
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Cryptic Command
2 Electrolyze
2 Spell Snare
2 Dispel
>>
>>43764015
Amulet Bloom needs a godsend draw to win turn 2 and even then it can be disrupted. I don't really care for the deck personally but it would be unjustified of wizards to ban it as its not format breaking and it'd be a blow to many players as none of the pieces really go into anything else
>>
>>43764019
Personally:

- 2 Clique
- 1 Twin
- 1 Pestermite
- 1 Electrolyze
- 2 Dispel

+ 2 Roast
+ 1 Grim Lavamancer
+ 2 Spell Pierce
+ 1 Cryptic Command
+ 1 Vapor Snag

You need some way to deal with Tasigur and Roast/Snag is the best at doing that if you don't plan on splashing into black. Also, get some utility out of your lands. Switch the Reefs to 2 Desolate Lighthouse, or a Lighthouse and a Ghost Quarter, or if you plan on putting Ancient Grudge in your SB (Protip: you should) go Lighthouse + Stomping Grounds. You can get away with only two Vents honestly, I would go for:

-1 Vent
-2 Reef

+1 Lighthouse
+1 Ghost Quarter
+1 Stomping Grounds
>>
I'm building Bogles right now. Someone tell me why it's a bad idea
>>
>>43764062
>>43764015
There is any number of one or two drop artifact removal that can fuck amulet bloom, and if it's a problem in your meta you can sideboard a playset. They aren't going to waste a Pact on something trivial like that turn two, because even if they can generate the mana they will be slowed down until turn four at least.
Other things that can help against Amulet Bloom
>Blue
Cursecatcher
Stubborn Denial
gigadrowse
Swan Song
Piracy charm?
that cmc2 counter
>Red
Crush
Vandalblast
Detonate
shattering spree
smelt
wear//tear

>green
caustic caterpillar
elvish scrapper
molder
nature's claim
oxidize

>black
Thoughtseize
Duress
Inquisition of Kozilek

Every single color has (except for white, which has any number of 2cmc answers) a whole bunch of 1cmc responses to the turn one Amulet. The deck relies on a 2cmc sorcery to get the engine going, and they probably won't Pact you in case they'll fizzle.
Also for a turn 2 win you need literally seven of your first 8 or 9 cards to be exactly the right ones. This is so mathematically improbable that it shouldn't concern any rational person, and if it concerns you then maybe you should start cutting your opponents decks.
Blistercoil Storm can attempt a turn 2 win about 30% of the time? Does that mean Paradise Mantle should be banned.
Shaking my fucking head, I can't believe Amulet Bloom is the scary boogieman at the moment. It's a good deck but folds to hate and nobody knows how to play it properly except for whatsisname that built it.
>>
>>43763815
Well, I was gonna sell the deck anyway since I don't like playing it, now I have a good reason to.

I'm going to get around €200 for what I have, what decks can I buy for modern with that little budget? Not interested in burn, like tempo/midrange.
>>
>>43764358
The only cards that any sane Modern player would actually put in their sideboards out of that list are Nature's Claim, Shattering Spree, W//T, and the black discard spells (Piracy Charm doesn't have anything about Artifacts). You can make a super fringe case for Swan Song but I would still feel awful about playing it, and Cursecatcher should only be on that list because of Fish decks.

But you're justifying the point, you want us to play these extremely narrow cards (You couldn't pay me to register any of those green cards besides Nature's Claim, or the red cards besides Wear//Tear). Also, if you're gonna leave up these 2cmc cards on T2, you're probably going to do it T3, T4, etc. So now you're playing around something that's probably not even there, and you'll probably wind up getting super punished for it because that's just how Modern do.

Is Bloom super stupid oppressive? No, but it's got a nonzero chance of going off on T2 and that would require super specific hate cards out of the sideboard. It's a very good deck and I'm glad to have it in Modern but people are going to be super vocal about its banning and you can't act like it's not on the short list of things WotC doesn't want in the format.

>>43764483
There's nothing wrong with Bloom if you already have it, but the risk that it's going to get banned is too high to bother buying into it so far. Bloom is a super good deck that can easily pick up games on somebody that isn't ready for it.
>>
>>43764483
If you sell the deck, you should sell it because you don't like playing it. Not because you think it might get banned because it won't.
The sideboard hate options are too great and the combo is too fragile.
Besides, I've seen games which resolve a turn 2 Prime Time which the Bloom player has gone on to lose.
>>
>>43764602
Spell snare is very relevant against Bloom as well. It is also run as a ~2x-4x in a lot of decks that run blue. And you better not be talking down Gigadrowse, that card is a fucking hose and I believe criminally underplayed. MVP in the deck I run for sure.
I think you are way too concerned with what you consider 'playable' in regards to what you'd register. Often cards which you don't think are good enough are excellent at exploiting holes in sideboards.
Bloom is nothing like a truly oppressive deck like Pod which was extremely resilient, extremely effective, had a combo win but could win through value and legitimately crowded out decks.
There are also other decks in modern that have a non-zero chance of winning t2. There always will be. However to stop you from getting btfo by a deck that gets your knickers in a twist how about you sideboard properly and play the damn game instead of screaming for a Bloom ban which will kill a fairly interactive and interesting deck that doesn't impact the format heavily.
Shit. A goddamn Boomerang works against Amulet Bloom what is wrong with you?
>>
>>43764615
I don't enjoy playing the deck, winning by doing 18 damage with prime titan and the right lands or by hivemind pact was fun the first time, but now I usually feel bad about it, because it feels as if the deck won for me. Only victories by sideboarding the right things, or by doing other stuff instead of combo feel like I earned them, so switching was a thing I was considering. Knowing it is in the radar for a ban just makes me feel sure about my decision.
>>
>>43764355
It's not a bad idea at all. It's a really good deck and fairly cheap as far as modern is concerned. I personally hate the deck and have spellskites in all my sideboards just to hate on bogles
>>
>>43764826
It's not in the radar for a ban. It's not oppressive enough and it's too hard to play to reach anything like the level of play that Pod reached that required a banning. It also doesn't go to time as often as Eggs and isn't as impossible to disrupt as no-banlist storm.
Apart from the 'turn four' rule which is more a loose guideline than a rule given that decks like Blistercoil Storm, Infect, Equipment Cheerios and Suicide Zoo all have non-zero chance of winning turn 2/3 there is absolutely nothing about Bloom that is threatening enough to be worthy of a ban.

I do agree that it's sometimes a boring deck, both to play and play against but it rewards complex lines of play and some people enjoy that. Good luck in finding another deck that is more interesting to you. I was lucky enough to find a modern deck that's shit, but that I love playing so much that I enjoy losing with it as well.
>>43764355
Bogles a good deck. A bit linear for my tastes, but strong enough and can hate out other decks pretty well.
>>
Taking Junk to Monday night modern tomorrow. Hoping to top 4.
>>
kinda bored with this format desu senpai

i actually had more fun playing standard last night than i have playing modern in months.
>>
File: 39431.jpg (36 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
39431.jpg
36 KB, 200x285
>Favorite sideboard card?
This badass
>>
>>43763659
Ban Company
Unban Pod

It's not fucking hard to understand, Melira Pod is substantially easier to disrupt than Collected Chord Combo.
Everyone can run artifact destruction, and Company can be done as an instant.
>>
>>43767996
There is no way Company is worse than Pod.
Pod is a repeatable tutor engine, which also makes some of the greatest cards in the available colors even better. Melira Pod is extremely resistant, means that they can run threats over cmc3, means they can run a toolbox of 1x silver bullets and doesn't even need the Pod to be playing some of the best cards in the format.
The Company requires cmc<=3, a very high creature count and/or library manipulation, which isn't great in Junk colors.
>>
>>43764358
It's really not a scary deck, but I beg to differ about nobody knowing how it's played, I have a very good friend who plays it at our FNM and he's actually extremely good at it. Consistently hitting turn three wins. (Without disruption, of course.)
>>
>>43768100
Fair enough.
Just it's a fairly complex deck that severely punishes sloppy play. Nobody I have ever met can play it worth shit, me included, but if you practice with a given thing for long enough you will get very good eventually. Good on your friend for either intuiting or practicing with the deck enough to become very good. In my experience that's vanishingly rare. Also notice that while Bloom hits high level top8s fairly often, it's generally the same people running the deck to victory.
>>
>>43768177
And the only times it has had amazing runs the guy was cheating, so there's that
>>
>>43768096
Pod is a lot easier to disrupt, stronger toolbox or no, Pod is just easier to stop. Pod doesn't hit and do it's trick same turn, and sometimes Company does.
>>
Is there a good Angel themed deck for modern?
>>
>>43768199
Good? Not really, but Gifts Ungiven Control is okay, and ones of its main drops is (in fact) an angel.
>>
>>43768193
The Pod is easier to disrupt than Company, I'll give you that.
However, I think it's evident that Pod makes a better deck than Company, and always will. My evidence for this is that there are less Company decks now, which aren't regularly placing as well as Pod was doing in its heyday.
Pod places an upper limit to how good creature cards can be, and will only get better with time as better cards are printed. It is a good thing that pod was banned, and though Company is very, very good indeed, it has limits, and those limits are library manipulation and deckbuilding limits.
>>
>>43768260
This is true I suppose, but the main issue I have with Company that need be remembered for my arguments sake is this:
Collected Company AND Chord of Calling are both instants.

Not only is Birthing Pod cast at rock speed, but there is actually no possible way (that I'm aware of) to activate it at instant speed.

Another big thing, is Company can hit multiple utility creatures at the same time. Do I want to counter that? I Chord for a spellskite then.
Is there no need to counter it? Would it still be convenient for me? I'll just Collected Company and see if I hit Skite.
>>
>>43768330
Sure. Remember I am not arguing against the utility of Company, and Company and Chord together is insanely good. It's just not as good as Pod.
Company requires 28 creature decks, or it stops working consistently enough to count. Pod wants 4xBirbs, 3x Finks, 3x Voice and that's it. Everything else is either a 1x, or is other disruption.
Their plays are different as well, and I believe the Pod plays are stronger.
>t1 Birb
>t2 Finks
>t3 Attack w/ Finks, pod for a Rhino
Results in turn three ten life swing not even including the attack. Burn doesn't even always have that good a result.
Compare that to a turn3 Company which gets, what? An Eternal Witness and a Spellskite? Good cards for sure, not necessarily a game ending play, which brings me to my other point. A Pod is always a tutor. Every time, it's a tutor for exactly what you need from it. Every activation that isn't disrupted is a tutor, to the battlefield, of the card you need. Company isn't even guaranteed to hit you a single creature without disruption.
>>
>>43768444
i thought the optimal line was
mana dork and voice
pod voice into exarch
pod dork into image, copy exarch
pod image exarch into angel, blink exarch
pod angel into kiki
kiki combo with exarch
>>
>>43768444
Yeah, those are some solid points. Honestly I'm just kind of pissed at how often I lose to company at the end of my turn.
It's far more difficult to disrupt than Pod. Though I'm not implying your points aren't valid, you're very right, Pod is a pain in the goddamn ass and always tutors the exact card you need.
I feel like it wouldn't have gotten banned if it weren't for the fact that it toolboxes so well.
>>
>>43768507
kiki pod was savage technology suitable only for the truly insane/greedy/deep/spicy
>>
>>43768507
in decks that run the combo, yeah
But those weren't really a problem. Really good builds, but what pushed it over the edge to ban worthy was the straightforward value Rhino version.
It was consistent as hell, mostly ignored hate because you're still almost Junk if they kill the pod, was able to hate everything else maindeck, and was only going to get stronger as they push creatures more
>>
File: 1399185996404.gif (300 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1399185996404.gif
300 KB, 853x480
>>43768548
>savage technology suitable only for the truly insane/greedy/deep/spicy
i'm the kinda guy that goes turn one fetch into drs
turn two fetch, pyromancer, probe you, trigger
activate drs, exile a land, therapy you, trigger
flashback therapy you, trigger
>>
>>43768552
The value Junk version pretty much stopped me from playing modern at the start of this year. It's just too resilient to hate, even if you hate the Pod out it's still Junk and running the best cards in the format, and if it's game 2 they just rip your hate out your hand with Inquisition or Seize. Remember when every top8 had twelve Pods in? That was not a happy time for the format.
>>43768573
You are 2 spicy. cabal therapy in modern when
>>
>Do you think any cards will be added or removed from the ban list? Do any cards need to be banned or are there any cards you would like to be unbanned?

expecting nothing but if the format stays fast aggro/linear bullshit i can forsee some unbans to shake things up

engineered explosives

>What's the deck you find most interesting in the format?

splinter twin
>>
>>43770359
>Splinter Twin
>he finds it interesting to flash out a single creature and equip it with an enchantment to win
The most interesting combo deck is Scapeshift
>>
>>43770458
>Scapeshift
>get to a certain amount of lands and play one card
The most interesting combo deck is obviously hulk footsteps
>>
>>43770866
>Hulk footsteps
Quit talking about this shitty tier 5 deck. No one cares about it but you and it will never be good. it requires too many cards to work. Fuck off with the hulk footsteps bullshit and buy a real deck or enjoy going 0-3 every Friday.
>>
>>43770999
I honestly can't think of a combo deck more boring than scapeshift. I'm glad it's pretty shit now.
>>
>>43764015
Infect can also T2 kill.
>>
I wish you guys posted cool nice cardart in these threads so it would have some worth to those that don't actually care about the game.
>>
>>43771487
>>
I just want to return to Lorwyn/Shadowmoor and get some more support for my Faerie decks.

Also unban SFM. Thanks.
>>
File: 7plWEtk.png (201 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
7plWEtk.png
201 KB, 265x370
Thoughts on my mono white deck

Any additions you guys could think of? Sideboard or otherwise

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/death-and-hate-bears/
>>
>>43763659
>This is the official thread for all discussion pertaining to the modern format of Magic the Gathering
Woah, I didn't know wizards moved onto 4chan. When did this happen?
>>
What is a good budget deck? Or at least, what is a good deck that I can make budget?
I know burn is really cheep, but I already have it and honestly it feels like there isn't much choice... its just a lot more fun when I play with my friends zoo or grixis control deck
>>
>>43773492
What's your budget?
>>
>>43773525
Well, as cheap as possible. I mean I have time so 100 to 200€ is probably fine, I mean I can probably play with some proxies for some time.
>>
>>43773492

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-25-3-tix-standard-eldrazi-aggro

this one is pretty fun
>>
>>43773565
>standard deck
>>
File: 1440357918165.jpg (53 KB, 280x403) Image search: [Google]
1440357918165.jpg
53 KB, 280x403
I'm thinking of selling my Standard deck and just exclusively playing Modern (With EDH on the side), is this a good idea?

Standard cards fetch high prices right now, and I'm kinda falling out of Magic in general. Plus Modern lets me use lots of powerful cards. I'm just worried if it's a broken or unhealthy format.
>>
>>43773492
A great budget deck is merfolk. It's a solid tier 2 deck that combines aggro and elements of control. The only real expensive pieces are the Aether Vials and Lord of Atlantis. You end up vialing out amazing merfolk and using your mana to either play more or leave it open for counters.
If Merfolk isn't your thing there's also living end another solid tier 2 deck focused around a reanimation combo. People say it's linear but I disagree. To effectively pilot living end you can't just race to throw cards into your graveyard you have to plan out how you'll use your fulminator mages and how to prevent your graveyard from being hosed.
>>
>>43774041
Is Merfolk even a budget a deck?
Most decent lists I can find are above 500$. I know that is not even close to the most expensive, but it isn't budget either.
>>
>>43773536
Budget affinity is actually pretty fun, though it's not the best budget deck in modern. And if you have the money, you can upgrade it a little here and there until you have a proper affinity deck.
>>
>>43775222
The deck is still perfectly playable without Aether Vial, although Lord of Atlantis is a bit tougher to replace. Mutavault is also one of those cards that only really helps squeeze those last 5% of performance from an already tuned deck, so don't worry about Vials and get Lord of Atlantis instead.
>>
Would a mono-black or UB zombie deck be viable in modern, more specifically one focused on tokens?
>>
>>43775222
You can play budget without some of themoney cards at first and slowly upgrade. If Merfolk is too expensive then living ends only about 350
>>
>>43776055
Sure if you run Snapcaster Mage, Liliana of the Veil, and Thoughtseize. Maybe add green for Tarmogoyf.
>>
UWR twin, often considered to be the weaker twin version, has just won a GP. Twin too good.
>>
>>43776055
Have you considered Zombie Hunt?
It's UB. It makes Zombie tokens. It will steal free wins every now and then.
>>
>>43773972
Nah, go for it if you feel obligated. Standard is falling out of popularity due to high deck price that constantly need to be upgraded imo.
Modern is comfy because you are safe knowing your favorite cards will never rotate out.
>>
>>43778160
My sides. Best laugh today.
>>
File: GP Pittsburgh Champ.jpg (200 KB, 722x856) Image search: [Google]
GP Pittsburgh Champ.jpg
200 KB, 722x856
Jeskai Twin reporting in.
Shitting on Affinity is the name of my game.
>>
>>43779109
Great work, elegan/tg/entleman.
>>
>>43778662
I'm in, anon. Thanks.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.