[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Describing a garden for my PC's, mention it has a Gazebo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11
File: 7-24-12-1.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
7-24-12-1.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>Describing a garden for my PC's, mention it has a Gazebo
>Player starts asking questions about it. How far away, what color, etc
>Confused, I answer each.
>He uses his magic sword to detect good on it (???)
>I tell him it doesn't work because it's a Gazebo
>He calls out to it (???)
>I tell him that ALSO doesn't work as it's a Gazebo
>He pulls out his bow and fires at it. He asks what happened.
>I tell him there is now a Gazebo with an arrow sticking out of it
>He asks why it isn't wounded since it's a +3 arrow
>I tell him that it's a Gazebo. An arrow isn't going to hurt it. He could burn it down with fire. Or maybe chop it up with an axe but an arrow isn't going to fucking do anything to it.
>He decides to fucking run away
>>
File: Epic Level Encounters.jpg (85 KB, 640x584) Image search: [Google]
Epic Level Encounters.jpg
85 KB, 640x584
>>43761217
Holy shit, ain't this a blast from the past.
>>
File: 041.jpg (234 KB, 700x546) Image search: [Google]
041.jpg
234 KB, 700x546
>>43761217
>Gazebo meme
>In current year
>>
>>43761217
How droll. My gazebo usually kills people.
>>
>>43761217
I played in a wartime style game where we stumbled into a mostly destroyed bakery at one point. The GM described the blasted ruins of the bakery and then as an offhand comment adds "Oh, and in the corner of the display case are a couple eclairs."

And one of the players basically pulled a gazebo. Drawing his weapon, checking the eclairs reactions, eventually shooting it. The GM eventually told him it bit his character with poisonous fangs for a bunch of poison damage and when he took it seriously that's when we finally lost it. After our laughter died down we explained that an eclair was a pastry.

Next session, we bought a box of pastries and put an eclair at his usual seat before he got there.
>>
>>43761217
3 questions:

1.) Are you really going to just come on the internet and tell lies?

2.) Has your player heard of the "dread gazebo" story before?

3.) Why do you play with morons?
>>
>>43761217
This sounds like what would happen if someone doesn't actually know what a gazebo is and thinks you're describing a monster to them.
>>
>>43763174
3 questions:

1.) Why are you a moron?

The question repeats twice.
>>
>>43761217
If you want to memepost, just use the actual story instead of trying to make it look like your own.
>>
>>43761217
2004 thread? 2004 thread!
hey guys did you hear that awesome new meme, it's called *clang* WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT!
>>
>>43761217
I actually ran into a dude who claimed to have lived through the Gazebo Story in person.
I continued to give him hell about that for months...

Of course, most of the other guys in my playgroup were so stupid, they probably missed my sarcasm.
Fuck those players were stupid.
A number of them were probably inbred.
I wonder if Billy still goes by Massive Twelve Year Old...
>>
>>43761217
I missed the joke.

Could someone explain this?
>>
>>43765285
Many years ago some kid in a D&D group heard the GM say "gazebo" and assumed it was a monster. The story is general called Dread Gazebo or some such.
>>
>>43762777
Was it poisoned?
>>
Two years ago our DM was running a completely stupid campaign for us and often outright transplanted characters from shows in as NPCs.
We're in resturant/tavern and it was mentioned that there was Truffles next to the stove.
One player who only knew the word from the Cartoon Network show Chowder, in which Truffles is a grumpy, old fairy who's part of the supporting cast, went over to talk to fungus.
They answered back.

We've had talking truffles in all our campaigns since. Normally it's a magical ingredient that parrots back what it hears while it's still fresh.
>>
>>43761217
At least have the decency to admit this story isn't yours.
>>
Recently our party was trekking through swamps and while going through chest high water the GM mentioned leeches in the water and made some rolls.

I though he said liches.
>>
>>43761217
>Not having the gazebo be a mimic and all the garden staff mindflayers/Alpha Legionaires in disguise
Are you even trying to tell an interesting story to your players?
>>
>>43767466
Hope so
>>
>>43761217
I've seen a thread roughly similar to this before, but it has also happened to me.

>Playing Dogs of the Vineyard for the first time for myself and players
>The faith is just Christianity with the Saints as minor gods
>PCs coming through town in buttfucknowhere Colorado
>Town is having a problem with savages
>Mayor is doing everything he can to save the town
>Mayor is Jewish. No muh shekels jokes are to be had tho
>Party for some reason suspects or jokes that he is behind it all since he doesn't exactly believe in The Faith
>I mention that he has a phylactery while describing his quarters
>cue PCs burning down his house and phylactery, killing his family, crucifying the mayor, and finally executing anyone who defended him. All because they thought he was a Lich.
>We've never played Dogs of the Vineyard again
>>
>>43761236
It's so old it's new to a lot of people.
>>
>>43769375
We almost did this in one game.
The moment 'Phylactery' was and everyone started to mention they were drawing their weapons I asked the, now confused, DM to describe it. I was originally planning on taking it to study it's magical properties.
The DM described a small, box, looking very much like a common phylactery.
At the word common, a few others asked how common are they.

It was at this point we all started to realise that we were all thinking Liches and our DM who takes religious studies and only knew of the DnD artefact offhand, was thinking the more traditional one.
>>
Why is there so much salt in this thread?
>>
>>43769459
Grognards dont like their old memes and games tarnished by the cheeto fingers of the next generation

>Where Chetto dusted fingers lay must not be disturbed or the salt shall flow
>>
>>43769459
/tg/ doesn't like anything old being dug up again. They'd rather put it on a shelf next to their army or something.

That's probably becuase, unlike on /v/ where it actually proves age to know old memes and sends everyone into a spiral of tears because nostalgia, anyone could check 1d4chan and learn the story. So the fact that something's being brought up could be as much a sign of newfaggotry as oldfaggotry (why doesn't /tg/ talk about this anymore? This is what I read about you talking about!)
>>
File: THIS COFFEE IS MAKING ME ANGRY.png (135 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
THIS COFFEE IS MAKING ME ANGRY.png
135 KB, 510x546
>>43769520
If the old meme you post is Cultist-chan, I automatically hate you and everything you stand for.
At least it's not one of the shitty Culexus drawings
>>
>>43769520
People read 1d4chan?
>>
>>43769560
>posts meme marines
You're no better senpai
>>
File: Guts stubs his toe.jpg (237 KB, 983x1073) Image search: [Google]
Guts stubs his toe.jpg
237 KB, 983x1073
>>43769576
It's the best way to describe how I feel about Cultist-chan and to stay on topic though.
>>
>>43769375
I remember the shitstorm this story caused when you first posted this story

Mostly because it's absolute bullshit that you didn't say something like "uhh guys" during the entire time they managed to do all that shit.
>>
So I heard /tg/ doesnt like dragging up old memes
>>
>>43769604
I'm allowed to have fun sometimes
>>
File: 1394079590719.jpg (463 KB, 1350x900) Image search: [Google]
1394079590719.jpg
463 KB, 1350x900
>>43769560
Come on, she's not bad.

>>43769613
Seems like all the memes are coming up, Milhouse.
>>
>>43761217

See I wouldn't believe that you could possibly be dumb enough to believe you'd get away with pretending this happened to you, but then I've had a guy swear to me that a barn wall fell down on his sister and she just so happened to go through the window, wow lucky!
>>
>>43769604
Ever play over skype?

when you have 4 players yelling at eachother over skype about what to do and each voice makes the others quiet. after a few hours of that, you tend to just let their speculation run wild.

When players do dumb shit, I like to let it happen. Not like I prepared much for the game today as the players couldnt even be assed to level up during the week between session and have now made the start time of the game get pushed back two hours...

If the players suspect the old jewish guy is a lich that is a hell of a lot more interesting than the crap I am pulling out of my ass.

after 4 years my players still havent figured out I improvise everything and they are actually writing the campaign. its been a fun ride man. I suggest you loosen up and try it sometime. you might actually have fun
>>
>>43769691
Tips for being a good DM

1) If ever asked "Did you plan that?" the answer is always 'yes'.

2) If you are ever caught in a fuck up, don't argue, simply say "Ya, that is interesting isn't it" and turn it into a plot hook.

3) Never spend more than 1 hour planning for the next session.
>>
File: prequel battle brothers.jpg (217 KB, 500x1875) Image search: [Google]
prequel battle brothers.jpg
217 KB, 500x1875
>>43769613
>Milhouse
>a meme

>>43769663
>cultist cat
>mfw
>>
>>43761217
Oh god this is a hilarious story. First time I ever heard of it. I think I may have an idea for a sidequest to throw at my party ;^)
>>
>>43769846
A katja/40k crossover? Have I missed something?
>>
>>43770061
It's probably that one image, made because the guard wears armour with pauldrons and hates cultists.
>>
>>43769573
I found it helpful to get a basic synopsis of 40k off of 1d4chan. It's also where I found Henderson.
>>
>>43765285
The whole gazebo thing is a really old, and really well known tabletop RPG story.

So well known, in fact, that it has it's own wikipedia page.
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Eric_and_the_Dread_Gazebo
>>
>>43761236
>>43769447
The Gazebo Story is older than the word meme,
Or, at least, I heard at least half a decade before I heard the word meme for the first time.
>>
>>43770533
>The Gazebo Story is older than the word meme, [...]
I doubt that, captain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memetics#The_term_.22meme.22
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme#Origins
>>
>>43770718
Doubt if you will, but if the word meme, as we use it today, was coined in a 1976 book and the Dread Gazebo animated "in the early seventies", then I stand by my assertion.
>>
File: 1430608181179.jpg (40 KB, 477x537) Image search: [Google]
1430608181179.jpg
40 KB, 477x537
>>43763385
Man nothing gets past this guy
>>
>>43762777
>Next session, we bought a box of pastries and put an eclair at his usual seat before he got there.
You guys are the best.
>>
>>43773047
Eclairs are pretty delicious too.
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (244 KB, 805x814) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
244 KB, 805x814
>>43761217
>>
>>43769573
Only when I'm looking for a pdf and I don't want to shit up a live thread asking for it.

>all those dead mediafire links
>>
>>43769573
I did while I worked up the courage to be a dangerous kid and come to 4chan. Let me tell you, after lurking more and figuring out the format of everything, /tg/ was a little disappointing.
>>
>>43775981
Of course it would be. 1d4chan is basically a collection of the best of 4chan. Once you get here you have to sift through the dross to find the good stuff.

Still, /tg/ is better than most boards for consistent entertainment. There's always one thread that's at least semi-interesting.
>>
>>43776061
I'm not saying /tg/ sucks. If anything, it has continually proven to remain my favorite board.

Just sometimes a good thread crashes and burns and you've wasted your evening.
>>
One time my GM told us about these things called ocklobs (I'm not sure about the spelling) and I thought they were like crab people or something, but it turned out they were plants that spit acid at you.
>>
>>43776464
That's a good way to put it. Seems like a lot of the best discussion comes up by accident, and the popular threads that last for days are the endless circle jerks about pathfinder CharOp or monstergirls or whatever.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.