[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did 40k jump the shark? Personally I'd say towards
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1431185659850.jpg (1003 KB, 1518x2049) Image search: [Google]
1431185659850.jpg
1003 KB, 1518x2049
When did 40k jump the shark? Personally I'd say towards the end of 5th edition things started to become increasingly silly.
>>
GK Babyharness or Wolfywolfriders.
>>
>>43759598
>GK Babyharness or Wolfywolfriders.
Indeed. On the other hand, 5th ed Dark Eldar release was spectacular.
>>
>>43759574
You'd say wrong, old 40k had genestealer Limousines and electric guitar noise marines. Shit started off absurd and has gradually become more serious business, although it has jumped the shark in the sense that it went from fun IP with grimdark and parody elements to shitty kids game barely maintained to sell absurdly priced models.
>>
>>43759917
>it went from fun IP with grimdark and parody elements to shitty kids game barely maintained to sell absurdly priced models.
Indeed.
>>
>>43759574
It's not just 40k, fantasy too started its descent around the same period.
Something got really fucking wrong to follow marketing's decisions.

>>43759620
It was obviously something planned long before the conception of the wolf riders and the dreadknights.
>>
>>43760693
What did they do with WHFB at that time?
>>
>>43761015
I remember Storm of Chaos going even more shittily than The Eye of Terror.

While one had Chaos owning shit, the other had Chaos jobbing left and right to everyone and being forced to make up an ending in a desperate attempt to salvage some dignity.

I think GW took the wrong message with this. They saw this as a complete failure and promptly began to get more inclusive. And now look where it leads - Paywalls. Armies made only by playing out only a set number of models. AoS anarchy.
For all they touted about forging narrative, it's ironic how they forgot about the one thing about forged narratives: they're built upon cooperation.
>>
>>43761015
As 40k proceeded its preparations for the 6th edition, fantasy got into its 8th: It was a time of big monsters, chariots and monstrous cavalry, less and less good artworks from the old guard, a noticeable shift to the tone of the setting in favor of more common higher magic elements; rulewise the game got even more unbalanced, nobrain spells and enormous amounts of models needed simplified the gameplay, increased the entry cost and simultaneously discouraged the use of the actual good looking units in favor of spam; fluffwise things started to receive less and less explanations, particularities and details blurring away, leaving copy pasted summaries from the older sources at best, or complete neglect at worst.
And then the edition reached the climax of its small and humble plot advancements with the end times, warhammer fantasy as we knew it and got in live with being no more officially recognized and supported.

Looking back, I should have recognized the signs since the end of the 7th edition.
And I'm seeing the same things happening to 40k too, probably more slowly, but inevitably the same.
>>
>>43761639
>While one had Chaos owning shit, the other had Chaos jobbing left and right to everyone and being forced to make up an ending in a desperate attempt to salvage some dignity.

Misremembering. GW made the campaign to determine what state Archaon and his horde would be in when it reached Middenheim. Which given the campaign results would have been pretty terrible, but GW said at no point could Archaon's advance be stopped or hurled back, which some fans felt should have been the result.
>>
>>43759917
>sell absurdly priced models
How do they keep getting away with this in a Capitalist society? Don't they have competition?
What's stopping me from playing with recognizable but legally distinct Anarchy Star Sailors, Alfar, and Orx?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.