[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I merge the concepts of Jedi and CHIM together to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1417741207983.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1417741207983.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
How can I merge the concepts of Jedi and CHIM together to make a sect of spiritual wizard warriors?

Basic outline:
>they're in a typical fantasy world
>They're a benevolent force
>something to do with a omnipresent magical force("mana" or something)
>They acknowledge both negative and positive emotions/aspects of human nature and try to harness the negative emotions and aspects of human nature to produce something good
>They recruit people at a young age(mid teens perhaps?)
>only people born with magic can be recruited, for nobody can have magic with out being born with it(except for those who deal with demons but that's bad).

I have no idea where this could go.

Otherwise, brainstorming general.
>>
>>43758888
Well, you could pretty easily combine the trappings and organization of the jedi with a more esotoric CHIMy philosophy, but I'm genuinely not sure you could feasibly combine Jedi and CHIM philosophy.
>>
File: il_570xN.445203278_k7ka.jpg (27 KB, 570x411) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.445203278_k7ka.jpg
27 KB, 570x411
The whole Jedi thing is pretty vague in the original movies, and then in the rest of the Star Wars material things aren't always very consistent, but often quite stupid.

Then there's Kirkbride's stuff which is, well, there's quite a lot to it. Open for a good amount of personal interpretation. And most importantly, it's all bout the cosmology of that one setting. If you're not playing in the Elder Scrolls setting, then a lot of shit is going to be very different. (If you do, then you're a Buoyant Armiger I guess.)

So take a few steps back here, don't start with just trying to smash these things together, instead think about what exactly it is you like about these two things. If it's just "says spiritual sounding shit" then you might want to rethink the whole thing. Otherwise take these elements, put them together within the setting you're going to be using (really important that bit, don't do it in a vacuum), kill a few babies, add some more stuff as suitable where there's gaps, kill some more of your babies, and there you might have a good starting point.

Then to spice it up marinate your brain by reading Dune, Brad Warner's books about Zen, watching El Topo an Holy Mountain, adding a few intentional inconsistencies, or whatever.
>>
>>43759065
>... combine the trappings and organization of the jedi with a more esotoric CHIMy philosophy, ...

That's what I'm talking about. But other ideas would be appreciated.

As I said, the idea is in a primordial stage at the moment.
>>
>>43759065
>Be Jedi
>All life is precious. We serve others over ourselves.

>Be chimster
>Fuck that noise. I am all that is and shall be. I serve myself.
>>
>>43759128
Good points. Thank you. My setting is sort of mid-fantasy(Is that a thing? It's basically Warhammer Fantasy with some elements of Conan in it). I wanted the religious part of it to be a bit vague, as I dont like the ideas of gods being indisputably real. It real puts a hamper on things.

Also, any place where I can find Kirkbride's writtings? His notes and all that?
>>
>>43759198
>>Be chimster
>>Fuck that noise. We're all just figments of something's imagination. Enjoy it if you can.
>>
>>43759228
The Imperial Library ought to have at least some of it. Should have some of his artwork as well.

>>43759235
>You Are All Me
>>
>>43759198
>>43759235
>>43759284
Maybe these warrior wizards believe all is one and one is all?

And maybe if too many people die violently or unfairly it'll unbalance the world?
>>
>>43759323
The problem is that CHIM is a fundamentally selfish philosophy and the Jedi ideals are fundamentally selfless.

I agree with the above that what you're probably looking for is an organized order of men who understand some kind of essential truth about the world.
>>
File: Foul murder.jpg (169 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
Foul murder.jpg
169 KB, 800x582
>>43759228
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/forum-archives-michael-kirkbride
http://www.imperial-library.info/content/michael-kirkbrides-texts

And of course all the relevant in-game books like the 36 Sermons, Where where you when the Dragon broke?, etc.

Just keep in mind that all of this is generally about the history and cosmology of Tamriel, presented from the point of view of various in-world mystics, spiritualists, lunatics, and other people trying to make sense of it all. It's not a philosophy, not is CHIM really a philosophy, it's more a state of being for an in game character (and possibly the player) who has realised a few specific things about how the world works.
>>
>>43759129
>That's what I'm talking about.
Well then... do that. A bunch of warrior-monks with a CHIMy philosophy.
>>
>>43759378
Selfless for selfish reasons?

>If too many people die unnaturally, Ill lose power. I must save everyone.
>>
>>43759602
I think you should focus on the flavor you're looking for. If what you want is an order of warrior mystics, think about what intrigues you with CHIM. Is it the lore, the idea of a deep truth of the universe revealed to these men?

If so, take that and build a discipline around that truth. Think about the ramifications. What would their tenants be? What about their attitudes to others and to themselves?
>>
>>43759602
Serve and protect others because you've realized that they literally are aspects of your own being?
>>
>>43759602
>>43759968
So, yeah, off to read a bit of Brad Warner with you.
>>
I'd rather be like this guy
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.