[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did /tg/ react to this? Opinions? It's been a while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: wastes[1].jpg (41 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
wastes[1].jpg
41 KB, 265x370
How did /tg/ react to this? Opinions?

It's been a while since my last visit.
>>
>>43757990
The shitstorm was hilarious. Some people just don't get how these lands can work, and there are some legit concerns, but a lot of people are just going full retard about it.
>>
>>43758161

And how do they work? Is it just a new color for mana or a colorless symbol?
>>
>>43758338
It's pretty much a new color I'd mana that counts as colorless.
>>
>>43758377
>>
>>43757990
it might be snow, it might be just colorless and diamond in cost would require colorless to cast. At the moment we know nothing so people stopped talking about it until more infos
>>
>>43757990
I'm amazed that anybody is surprised by this.
I've been expecting this since snow mana came out in Coldsnap. I've been expecting this since the Eldrazi made their first appearance.

(I wonder when we're going to get Snow-Covered Wastes btw.)
>>
>>43758377
>I'd
of*

Oh, and since it's colorless, it doesn't towards converge or sunburst. Also, wastes isn't a new basic land type, so it doesn't affect land based mechanics.
>>
File: fucking newfags.jpg (27 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
fucking newfags.jpg
27 KB, 312x445
>>43758474
>snow mana came out in Coldsnap
>>
honestly I think it might be more like snow mana. Why would they just keep giving trons more toys to play?
>>
File: 1436548425224.png (125 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
1436548425224.png
125 KB, 223x311
>>43757990
wasteland reprint confirmed /s
>>
File: 1381066081138.jpg (317 KB, 917x720) Image search: [Google]
1381066081138.jpg
317 KB, 917x720
>>43757990
Why is it made of bitsmuth?
>>
>>43757990
>How did /tg/ react to this?
As usual a large part of /tg/ acts like this is finally the thing that will kill M:tG because they operate under the belief that if you call literally everything/anything that happens to Magic its death it'll make you a prophet because you'll eventually be right.

It does make them a psychic because they're all frauds.
>Opinions?
Too soon to tell, who fucking cares. Pick one or both.
>>
>>43759845
Because it's otherworldly looking. It's a fucking rainbow colored metal that burns blue and produces yellow smoke.
>>
>>43757990
It's a sixth color and should be treated as such in all discussion, including effects that trigger off collecting basic land types.

I'm very excited to learn Greybrown's themes and iconics. I'm guessing an emphasis on creeping death and devaluing enemy actions as core stratagems, but that's just based on dev commentary and certain trends available to the astute eye.
>>
>>43759983
>Thisisbait.jpg
It doesn't have a basic land type, so it doesn't do shit when counting those. Devs have made numerous comments that a sixth color is not happening; it would throw everything into the blender (ally/enemy pairs, land cycles, etc)

They have mentioned new mana being possible in relation to snow, which is nothing like a sixth color.
>>
I'm just wondering why this hasn't been done already. Funny enough just last week I was thinking about why they didn't make a basic land that doesn't have a basic land type and produces colorless mana, and here it is.
>>
>>43757990
The only thing I'm waiting for is how it's going to alter comp rules. Is the ability to tap for basic mana going to be intrinsic to its name like Ice Age snowlands?
Is it actually printed on the card (as in, not reminder text) that we can't see because it's a full art?
Or are they going to alter the rules for basics to say that basics without a type tap for waste mana, but basics with a type can only tap for their color?
>>
>>43760973

I feel like Waste just taps for generic/colorless mana and is gonna be like Snowlands. I think its more like how generic mana can be paid with any color, but the symbol on Waste is "Can only be paid with colorless mana" kind of thing.
>>
>>43761045
>I feel like Waste just taps for generic/colorless mana and is gonna be like Snowlands
But the damn thing has no supertype besides basic, and you would have to set a dangerously lazy precedent if you wanted the land to work like that.
>>
MaRo is a troll

That is all
>>
i hope this garbage is fake
>>
>>43761082

Then how about this: the diamond/waste/bismuth mana symbol indicates that it can ONLY be paid with colorless mana, while the traditional generic mana symbol can with ANY color of mana. For example, you can use Yavamaya Coast to either:
a)Tap for 1 colorless and use that to pay one of the diamond/waste/bismuth mana of new!Kozilek
b)Tap and take 1 damage to produce one G mana to pay the generic part of new!Kozilek mana cost.
>>
>>43761170
That's what I think is going to happen.
But it doesn't address how they are going to deal with a basic that has no subtype.
>>
>>43761215

You don't need a subtype on every card. Theres no inherent rule that says you need a subtype to accompany the supertype Basic. At least off of the top of my head.
>>
>>43761243
Yeah, but all the basics gain the ability to tap for mana through their subtype.
So a basic land with no subtype and no text in the box lacks the ability to tap for mana as the rules stand now.
>>
>>43761289
This is a problem that is fixed with a single line in the rules.
>>
>>43758458
Why would it be snow? It's called "Wastes"
>>
Basics that produce colorless for EDH
New eldrazi has to have two colorless mana in it. Coincidentally how much kozileks channeler produces
>>
>>43761289
Rules Update "Basic Lands without a subtype have "t: add <1> to your mana pool""

I honestly can't imagine it will be that difficult to do.
>>
>>43762249
>New Kozilek costs 8<><>
>Kozilek's Channeler taps for (2)

See, this is what sells it to me that <> is just going to be the new formatting for colorless mana. Because then KC will tap for <><>. That is the EXACT kind of "flavor" bullshit they've been trying to push for a few years now.
>>
>>43762249
This.

It's not a new colour of mana, just a new criteria in mana costs and a basic land that produces mana with no colour.
>>
>>43762421
><> Is new colourless

I disagree. I think it will be specifically in certain cards mana costs. Colourless will stay the same, but certain cards will demand to be played with colourless mana, which has never happened before IIRC.
>>
>>43762344
Then it defeats the purpose of a basic land that can only produce colorless.
>>
>>43762489
Are you confusing colorless with generic? They are not the same thing even though they have the same symbol.
>>
Nobody has mentioned the biggest issue: The creation of a colorless producing basic land means there are now a ton more cards that are technically strictly better than a basic land.
>>
>>43762511
You don't seem to understand how the Comp. Rules work regarding Basic Lands and mana production. They only produce the mana they do because the Comp. Rules explicitly link Basic Land types with colors of mana and grant tap abilities to the basic land types. As it stands right now, a basic land without a subtype cannot produce mana at all.
>>
>>43762609
>technically strictly better than a basic land
There are a lot more cards that can fetch basic lands than nonbasics.
>>
>>43758558
My guess he was referring to wizards being more willing to introduce new mana bases recently.
>>
>>43762583
Uh, Generic mana is the mana in somethings mana cost represented with a number and grey circle. Colorless mana is mana produced by something without being designated a color other than colorless. I don't believe it's possible to generate generic mana, because that's just mana of any color.

Is that it?
>>
>>43762718
No, you're correct, other anon was heckling you because a lot of people are too dumb to realize that.
>>
>>43762609
Almost every nonbasic is strictly better than basics since wizards decided land hate is unfun
>>
>>43762949
You don't know what "strictly better" means.
>>
>>43762975
On average how many basics does a competitive Modern/Standard/Legacy/Vintage deck run?
>>
>>43763047
That's irrelevant to the conversation. In Magic parlance, the phrase "strictly better" has a very specific meaning, which you either aren't aware of, or are intentionally choosing to ignore. The only lands in the game that are "Strictly better" than a basic land are the A/B/U Duals. The joke anon was making was that if Wastes is a real card, and only produces colorless mana, then technically a good deal of nonbasic lands that come in untapped, tap for (1) soon to be <> and have an additional utility effect will, by the technical definition of the term, be "strictly better than A basic land."
>>
>>43762344
The cool part that immediately came to mind is that they could make a card that makes all lands loose all types to interact with such a rules change. My friend and I couldn't find a way to balance it, but the idea of VOID MOON is cool.
>>
File: spagset 2018.png (2 KB, 267x26) Image search: [Google]
spagset 2018.png
2 KB, 267x26
Dunno about you guys, but I'm waiting on the spaghetti set.
>>
Man I can't wait to sit on the cards I want to play until Spring. Khans can't rotate soon enough.
>>
>>43763157
>/r9k/ the block

Toad tribal?
>>
>>43763157
>September 2018
Never Forghetti.
>>
>>43763107
yeah, and most nonbasics are strictly better, Urborg taps for B and does other stuff. The only reason to run basics is because you can't fetch nonbasics with fetches, avoid getting blown out by Path of Exile, and Blood Moon.
>>
>>43763229
>Most Nonbasics are strictly better
>can't fetch nonbasics
>strictly better

Okay, so I already disagreed with you, but now I think you're genuinely too stupid to understand why being fetchable enters the equation when discussing "strictly better" when it comes to lands. So I'm just going to spout memes at you until you either stop posting, or wise up.

I know /tg/ is bad at magic, but did you even try, man?
>>
>>43763229
Don't post again until you learn what strictly better means.
>>
>>43758161
Basically this...

My theory is that the <> is a permanent addition to the game to differentiate colorless from generic mana, but we will very rarely see it as an actual cost.

Probably only in sets where true colorless tribes play a role to differentiate them from generic stuff like artifacts.
>>
>>43759811
>Wasteland reprint with the new C symbol

I can dig it.
>>
>>43758570
Because for the billionth damn time wizards only cares about standard
They don't playtest for modern or legacy. They don't care if they give tron new cards. All they care about is giving standard new cards.
>>
>>43764154
If it's real, it would probably be contained in this set only for flavor reasons, like snow mana.
>>
>>43757990
>How did /tg/ react to this?
With calm and dignity, naturally.
>>
>>43763157
I am waiting for the Ham block. Its going to be a kamigawa or kamigawa-esque set with asian themes. Mark my words.
>>
>>43762344
This is not true the rules haven't been updated to this end. Trolled me though.
>>
>>43764402
Why would they phase it out again. They have the colorless symbol they can use it for future sets.

>>43764917
They haven't been updated yet. It is clear that they get an update because the Wastes card is currently blank.

Also this would be a rather tame rules update compared to the past. I mean they typically update the rules with every release, since new keywords and whatnot need to be added.
>>
>>43764832
>Hamurai
>>
I just realized that Wastes can't be fetched with Myriad Landscape.

God fucking dammit.
>>
>>43760762
Funny enough they talked about "having solved Barry's Land" in 2014 during PAX.
>>
I'm absolutely overjoyed because it means that retards who have no idea what they are talking about and want a sixth color might finally shut up. Here's your "sixth color," but it's not stupid because it's just hard to cast colorless.
>>
>>43764832
hopefully they get anime ''artists'' for it, just to piss off all the faggots who thing magic is some special snowflake and not just as lame as any other gay ass card game.
>>
>>43766782
>harder to cast colorless.
Bretty gud description.
>>
more mechanics are good
>>
>>43757990
(X) Things I yay
>>
>>43757990
They should have just fucking went all the way and made purple mana. The mana of the blind eternity's. Shit that does everything but in just inconstant or weird ways.
>>
>>43767066
No shut the fuck up you idiot.
>>
>>43767104
No you shut the fuck up.
>>
>>43758495
> Wastes isn't a new basic land type
> Card LITERALLY SAYS Basic Land
>>
>>43767152
>/tg/
>reading cards correctly
not on his watch
>>
>>43767152
And that's all it says, because it has no sub type. There is no Basic Land - Wastes.
>>
File: bitterblossom.jpg (285 KB, 1340x1007) Image search: [Google]
bitterblossom.jpg
285 KB, 1340x1007
>>43766872
>Wizards ever taking chances with art again after all the edgefags complained about Lorwyn/Shadowmoor.
>>
>>43764402
That depends on what your definition of "it" is.

The symbol, I think, will be permanent, because it solves a minor problem - the shared symbol of colorless mana (to put in your pool) and generic mana (to pay for things). This was a small problem, though, because there has never been a cost requiring colorless mana. Which brings us to

Costs requiring colorless mana are probably only going to be in this set. This allows it to serve as an Eldrazi mechanic, while also being the "motivation" to convince people to put up with the new symbol. Introducing the symbol earlier would've been purely cosmetic at best, and might have risked spoiling the plan even earlier than now.
>>
>>43767238
what's so special about another self-portrait by Rebecca Guay, anon?
>>
File: skitterskin.jpg (68 KB, 624x375) Image search: [Google]
skitterskin.jpg
68 KB, 624x375
>>43759845
It matches Kozilek and his broods distortion on the land of Zendikar, much like Ulamog and his brood covered everything with sticky white stuff

They very conveniently stuck this in BfZ, granted it's pretty hard to see
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.