[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG LEGACY GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: wasteland.jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
wasteland.jpg
31 KB, 223x310
I TOLD YOU I WOULD DO IT EDITION

I said in the terrible modern general I'd make a legacy general.

This is that. Discuss legacy, why storm variants are the best decks unless they're SI, and why no one has the balls to play No-Land Belchercross
>>
>>43746416
This thread is as dead as the format.
>>
Why go no land when every one is going all Lands? The lands player copycats are coming
>>
>>43746468
>17:26:34
>>43746416
>17:22:45

rofl
>>
This is my favorite deck to play in Legacy by far, since I'm a hard M.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-11-15-doomsday/

fight me IRL
>>
I'm playing 8moon werewolf stompy.
Running both Simian Spirit Guides and Lotus Petals and both the Sol Lands for that sweet turn one moon.
It's great. Works really great against netdecked decks but really terribly against homebrews. MUD is a terrible matchup, as is fish, goblins, DnT variants and anything that uses a lot of basic lands. Against BUG, RUG and Miracles it's a pretty good time.
>>
>>43746468
>>43746490
I didn't expect it to be too lively but 4 minutes is a bit short to wait on responses on a thread about a dying format
>>
>>43746471
Lands vs lands is so fun to watch. Because you can go get lunch and come back when they've gone to time
>>
Been playing sneak and show on xmage. Never played legacy before, but it's pretty fun. I'm glad there's at least one format that doesn't hate combos. If summer bloom and something from grishoalbrand, probably nourishing shoal, get banned then i'm not playing paper anymore.
>>
>>43746471
I guess if you don't like playing long games? I've found the no-land belcher to be pretty consistent and fun. A bit less consistent than 1-land belcher but it can beat permanent hate better and it's cooler.
>>
>>43746680
or just come to legacy. Your modern grishoalbrand isn't that far off from Legacy Tin Fins...
>>
>>43746662
A dying format which caps gps. Is modern so marginal of a format that the players need to assure themselves that other formats are dying to feel better about their format?
>>
>>43746658
>turn 1 sol land, ssg -> blood moon
>now my sol land is a mountain

is it really worth it? on the play i guess but on the draw...
>>
>>43746680
I kinda don't like the ShownTell variants around. They feel too linear to me, ya know?
Like it's just hold up counters and resolve either show and tell or sneak attack and you win. I stifled a sneak attack activation once, that was pretty fun tho.
>>43746695
However Belcher is a linear deck that I really like. It's like a puzzle that you have to work out. If you work it out right, you win, and if you don't you fizzle like an idiot and lose to something dumb.

I'm thinking of building False Cure because that looks like a jank and fun deck.
>>
ANT player reporting in. Which dark rit art is the best and why is it the mirage one?
>>
>>43746728
I'm not sure I understand your question, but I play Legacy and Modern. Modern is fine generally, especially lately, but the threads here are circlejerks and Legacy is more powerful and fun imo. I was hoping people who didn't like the format wouldn't shit it up, but I shouldn't have bothered to have hope.
>>
>>43746754
Storm style combo vs 2 card combo both have their pros and cons. You're a little more able to just jam the combo blindly in 2 card combo
>>
>>43746712
But there's 4 underground seas in that deck anon.

That's a lot of money.

>>43746754
The way you get there is different every game. That's what makes it for me.
>>
>>43746765
Doomsday guy here. Why do you like ANT over other storm variants? The consistency?
>>
>>43746808
Honestly you could probably get away with like 1 and some basics. Or play a shockland and realize you might lose a few games because of it.
>>
>>43746769
Sorry, i just get tilted going to the legacy thread and hearing shit about modern. I watch a little bit of it, and it feels like a lot of modern players put down legacy because they worry about the fragility of modern. I wouldn't put it past wizards to send it the way of extended.
>>
>>43746735
It means that I don't have to sac City of Traitors. It also sets me up for the early Hanweir Watchkeep play.
On the draw it can fuck me, especially if they turn1 fetch and pass. However, this deck does me well locally. I wouldn't take it to some sort of serious event, but because I know my local meta it works very well. Turn one Chalice on 1 is a death knell for a few decks I know.
>>43746796
>>43746808
I agree. I like a flexible deck with a combo win, like modern Twin (which is why I build modern to beat Twin) but I don't like combos which just try to resolve the two cards and win. the 'how you get there' aspect is really important to me. I really like Eggs and that leads to some very complex lines of play, some of which lead to a game loss but it's not obvious which.
>>
>>43746841
Honestly I play a lot more modern than legacy because it's substantially more popular near me. I don't think you need to worry too much about modern dying.
>>
>>43746818
Mostly. Being able to run ponder, brainstorm and preordain also make your sideboard way stronger.

I also just love playing with ponder and flipping cards off my deck. Past in Flames gives the deck a lot more ability to come back from a fizzle than people realize
>>
>>43746835
This. Basics and extra fetches.
>>
>>43746874
I think you're looking at pure combo or aggro combo. 2 card combo decks can run a control game, which is fun in its own right
>>
>>43746835
Shocks are doable in a local setting as long as you have the fetches. It might lose you 10% of games you could otherwise have won but 11 dollars vs 300 odd is appreciable.
>>43746973
and I love the control game, which is why I play anti-control decks. I don't want people to have the sort of fun I would have.
I'm thinking of building False Cure, which is my kinda deck, but also a combo deck in a way. That looks kinda fun to me.
>>
Man, I really want to get into legacy. Hopefully some time next year I'll have the dosh to drop on a deck I like.

Although, first I have to find a deck I like.

I usually play Modern, mostly Burn, but I have been enjoying Amulet Bloom also. Are there any decks that you recommend for beginners to the format? I've been toying around with the idea of Delver, because I haven't done a tempo based deck, but is it any good? Where do I start?
>>
>>43747064
Converting modern Burn to legacy is like, maybe, a hundred bucks. More if you're getting Plateau's and Taiga's but honestly you don't NEED need them.
I favour BUG Delver, because it has the grind game better than RUG or America, but honestly Daze and Delver is a match made in heaven. Abrupt Decay is also very important in my meta, probably because I run 4x Chalice, 3x Trinisphere so I'm biased.
As to collecting, I reckon go slow. There is no need (apart from steadily rising prices) to get in immediately. You can wait a while and just buy pieces as you need them. And as long as you aren't planning to play in like regional tournaments you can get away with budget options for a while.
>>
>>43747064
Could always try UR delver, plays more like a burn deck. And you get Price of Progress, which is great fun to snapcaster back
>>
>>43747154
>>43747177

I wasn't sure if I wanted to do more Burn, but its probably me best option for learning the meta.

Never thought of BUG Delver. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the direction.
>>
>>43746927
Personally I like the wishboard that other storm variants have.
>>
>>43747238
Burn is a good way to start since it will be so cheap for you. Once you learn what you like in the format you can start to build something else.
>>
File: Thuggin.jpg (50 KB, 448x411) Image search: [Google]
Thuggin.jpg
50 KB, 448x411
>tfw you play Pox
>tfw you play the actual card Pox in Pox
>>
>>43746416
New legacy player here
If I Stifle a trigger, does the card that I stifled get destroyed?
Say if I Stifle a stoneforge mystic, what does that do?
I know that if I Stifle a fetch it dies, but not sure about other cards
>>
>>43747484
I have pox built and I usually play 1-2 copies of pox alongside 4 lilis. Do you play liliana or no?
>>
>>43747606
the fetch dies because sacrificing it is part of the cost, so that gets done even if the ability is countered. Stoneforge is not like that, so it sticks around but just nothing happens.
>>
>>43747606
It counters the ability, not the card. If you stifle a stoneforge enter the battlefield trigger they cannot search for an equipment. If you stifle a fetchland it means that the cost is paid but the ability does not resolve. Stifle is limited in a way, but very powerful and flexible in others.
>>
>>43747606
When you stifle, the cost is paid but the effect does not happen.

So, a fetch dies because sacrificing the fetch is part of the cost.

Stoneforge's cost is paying mana and tapping stoneforge. That's it. So, they cannot re-activate stoneforge until it untaps, but no, you do not kill the mystic, nor are they forced to discard the equipment they wanted to play. You do not get to see the equipment, either.

Remember, the cost comes before the colon, the effect comes after.
>>
>>43747624
>>43747690
Makes sense. Looks like someone owes me a rematch
>>
>>43747608

I play a single Liliana myself. While running pox I like to have cards that either can be played from the graveyard or while being discarded. And while I know a lot of Pox runs like to run Bloodghast, I prefer the utility I get from Haakon instead (running the black pump knights as well as chump blockers/sac targets/flying beaters).

Every other pox player I've known has taken out Pox for exclusively running Smallpox (which I do also include in mine), but I just find the original Pox to be so backbreaking against certain decks as the game progresses.
>>
>>43747837
>running the black pump knights AS chump blockers/Sac Targets/flying beaters

Whoops, corrected.
>>
>>43746728

>Is modern so marginal of a format that the players need to assure themselves that other formats are dying to feel better about their format?

Yes.

>>43746765

AnTing Man here. Best Dark Rit is fifth edition. Because HUGE HANDS. AND FIRE.

Also, what's your tutor/wincon and cantrip spread? I'm running 4x Infernal, 1x Petition, 1x AdN, 1x PiF, 1 each Tendrils and Empty.

>>43747719

Think of it this way: "counter" doesn't mean "destroy a card." It means, "stop a card from doing what it was doing." So if a card was coming into play or resolving (e.g., a creature or a sorcery), a counterspell says "stop the card from resolving," meaning that the card goes to the graveyard. If you counter an ability, it just means "stop the card from doing what it's doing." So a Stifled Stoneforge Mystic will just sit there instead of deploying a Batterskull, but a Brain Freeze will go to the graveyard with three cards milled because Storm is an ability you can counter. Stifle wouldn't counter Brain Freeze, but it would counter the Storm effect on Brain Freeze.
>>
>>43747064

>I really want to get into legacy.

All Spells.
>>
>>43747054
False cure is also really cute against ANT
>>
>>43747064
Shardless BUG, its a controlish midrange deck that's soft to a lot but doesn't require much meta knowledge
>>
>>43747246
The wishboard is pretty cute, but I like consistency and the decent long game of ANT over TES
>>
>>43747868
I don't really like dark petition, so i run 4 IT 1 AdN 2 PiF 1 tendrils. 1 empty in the board. Natural PiF has won me a lot of games, and I dont think empty is good enough for me to MD. I run 4 BS 4 ponder 2 preordain 0 top. Not a lot of control in my meta, otherwise I would consider 1/1 top/preordain
>>
>>43746927

>Past in Flames gives the deck a lot more ability to come back from a fizzle than people realize

Terrible AnT player here. This is absolute truth.

I've won a ton of games against people who legitimately had me in a lock because I topdecked either cantrip-into-Past in Flames or just Past in Flames. Or a Cabal Ritual with Past in Flames in the 'yard.

It looks like a mediocre piece of a convoluted combo until you're staring down a Jace, the Mind Sculptor with 11 Loyalty and you've got a tutor, two Cabal Rituals, and a Dark Rit in your graveyard.
>>
>>43747993
That's part of why I like Doomsday. It has good consistency and doesn't need the same critical mass of spells as TES but it does have a wishboard.
>>
>>43748081

That's all fair stuff. I'm pretty new to the deck and I don't get many opportunities to practice, so I've been running an "idiot-proof" list with 15 lands and an Empty as a quick out. (To prospective AnT players: PRACTICE WITH THE DECK. A LOT.)

I've found Dark Petition to be the most likely target for countermagic, but when it doesn't get hit, it's a lot more versatile than Infernal and doesn't get us killed like Ad Nauseam might.
>>
>>43748093
I agree with everything except that Past in Flames is the best card in the deck, in my opinion. Ad nauseum can fizzle, but if I'm infernaling for PIF I'm about to win. Usually.
>>
I dunno where to talk about this

I got a MTGO beta email, but my account says (I forget the error) that I need to create a new account. Something like it's no longer active or something

Today, attempting to log on to the beta says that the username/pass I've entered is invalid

What the fuck is up? It's impossible to get to the beta forums
>>
>>43748143
I'm not familiar with the specifics, what's your list like?
>>
>>43748168

Oh, yeah; absolutely.

I agree that PiF is (most) often the key to victory. It's also pretty vulnerable in my experience, especially against decks that pack serious, permanent-based disruption (e.g., Maverick) or heavy grave-hate (e.g., Pox).

One of the main reasons I'm runing such an eclectic list is that I want to have outs against as much as possible, even if I won't ever land a second copy.
>>
>>43748163
I might need to test it again, but I found it to be a really big nombo with LED and cut it for the second PIF. You haven't lived until you past in flames, then flashback 3 ponders off an LED to find the win.
>>
>>43748251
Maverick is mostly a problem for me preboard, massacres and dread of nights do serious work for me. I tested the MU a bunch last night and I think drawing into PIF naturally allowed me to get more t2 kills than I usually would, because then infernal for cabal ritual usually gets there
>>
File: 1380094094867.jpg (103 KB, 395x750) Image search: [Google]
1380094094867.jpg
103 KB, 395x750
>>43746835
>Or play a shockland and realize you might lose a few games because of it.

this only really happens against fair decks and even those decks usually win with a soft lock or resource denial to where your actual lifetotal was never really relevant ie. rug delver's stifle-wasteland resource denial or death & taxes soft lockout with tax effects.

most other matchups end with some manner of haymaker that nearly always disregards your actual life total by damage, instantly winning the game, or making the game unwinnable.
>Storm combo
>MUD spheres into Forgemaster into Blightsteel
>SnT Emrakul/Griselbrand
>Omnitell ETI Lab Man
>Elf Murderball ft.Craterhoof
>Berserk Infect
>Doomsday Lab Man
>Goblin Charbelcher
>Dredge
>Jund Depths/Lands lockout into Marit Lage or god forbid lockout into Punishing Fire.
>Counter-Top lockout into Miracle Entreat for 5

The only matchup where shocklands will actively buttfuck you is against Burn, because saving 2-4-6 life over the course of that game absolutely matters when they go into topdeck mode on turn 4.
>>
>>43748223
1 Badlands
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Brainstorm
4 Burning Wish
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Chain of Vapor
4 Dark Ritual
3 Doomsday
4 Duress
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Ideas Unbound
1 Island
1 Laboratory Maniac
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
3 Lotus Petal
1 Night's Whisper
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ponder
1 Rain of Filth
3 Sensei's Divining Top
2 Swamp
2 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
4 Abrupt Decay
1 Bayou
1 Cabal Therapy
1 Doomsday
1 Empty the Warrens
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Ideas Unbound
1 Infernal Contract
1 Massacre
1 Shelldock Isle
1 Tendrils of Agony
1 Void Snare
>>
>>43748391
Against most fair decks the game can come down to a couple life points, facing down a 4/5 or delver at 6 life vs 8 life is pretty relevant. The more life you have the more outs you have.
>>
>>43748391
It actually matters quite a bit in decks where your life is a resource, like Tin Fins
The difference between two or three draw sevens could easily be the game
>>
>>43748461
The main differences from the stock list are that I dropped an SDT for a night's whisper since SDT isn't great in multiples and whisper has some utility in piles and is a perfectly fine draw earlier, and I cut 2 lands for lotus petals for a bit of extra speed.
>>
>>43748461
That does look pretty interesting, a lot of answers to weird things g1. How do you ensure maniac survives?
>>
>>43748530
Duress I guess? The primary wincon is wishing tendrils actually. The Lab Man is best for piles where you have to pass the turn after playing doomsday. But there are some other ways to do it. Depending on what resources you have trying to go off, you can beat removal by brainstorming or SDT-ing to draw the last card. And you can build pass-the-turn piles with duress in them if you have the mana. I've been considering trying to find space for 1 pact of negation, but the list is pretty tight and solid right now.
>>
>>43748604
I mean brainstorming or SDT-ing in response to removal to draw the last card.
>>
>>43748617
Ok that makes sense. I though the game plan was maniac-draw step -ideas unbound- draw off top. That looks pretty cool, i like doomsday as a card I'm glad it has a home in legacy
>>
>>43748687
Nah usually you try to do it all in one turn, or if you have to you cast doomsday and build a pile that wins the next turn and draw into it in you next draw step.
>>
>>43748738
get the fuck out of my thread senpai. go whine somewhere else.
>>
Can we work to change it from ANT to PiFT Off?
>>
>>43748738

Obvious samefaggot is obviously a faggot.
>>
>>43748836
you can try. It won't happen. The name is too entrenched despite ANT not playing AN and TES often playing AN. Shit's all fucked.
>>
>>43748899

Yep.

I still support calling the deck TITS...
>>
>>43748991
I favor "The Count". I just need my sesame street sleeves
>>
>Legacy thread is full of storm players jerking each other off
Surprise surprise
>>
>>43749507
Sorry I didn't realize you weren't allowed to talk about combo, I'm sure your Thalia's are going to get there eventually
>>
What if I told you guys that I legitimately enjoy playing Miracles?
>>
>>43749788
Miracles is an enjoyable deck
Tons of decisions to make
>>
>>43749788

Please, the point of playing miracles is to be the only one who gets to enjoy miracles.
>>
>>43746769
>Legacy is more powerful and fun

That's true, but it's still dying. Vintage already died due to no reprints and Legacy is tumbling into the same grave at this very moment.
>>
>>43752772
True in a sense, though Legacy is very slow to die so there is no panic yet, and it has always been stronger in Europe, so it will last there for a while even after it eventualy dies in the USA.
>>
>>43752772
They've cut back on support, but there are always enough people to cap out a gp. Why do people think its dying? I've heard it for years and seen nothing indicating that
>>
I quit combo and built lands and miracles
I've had RG lands for a year now though
>>
>>43749788
I don't mind the deck, it can be annoying but its still fair. It's the slow toppers I hate.
>>
>>43753148
How many of your matches go to time?
>>
>>43752772
>>43752772
I live in new england, we still get vintage tournaments pretty regularly. Not big of course, but there's a very stable player base here.
>>
>>43749507
Modern player pls go
>>
>>43753148
I really like the lands deck but it's too expensive for me to build.
>>
Mono Blue or Blue Black control?
>>
>>43754835
Mono Blue Martyr
>>
>>43754885
this
>>
What's the Treasure Hunt of legacy?

cheap, retarded, only works once
>>
>>43746765
Mercadian Masques for me, although I like most of the artworks. DR is my jam, I collect them in different languages, trying to find every version ever printed in every language eventually.
>>
>>43755388
Belcher? I don't know
>>
>>43755388
Oops All Spells probably. It's cheap besides the lion's Eye Diamonds. There's Dredge, which is cheap although much more of a known quantity.
>>
>>43755481
>Dredge
>Having any equivalent

Dredge only comes in 2 flavors
>National socialist
>Islamic nationalism
>>
>>43755388

Fluctuator Combo, no doubt.
>>
>>43755525
my god it's beautiful
>>
>>43755525
actually yeah definitely this.
>not really that great
>might get you the occasional hilarious blowout
It's basically the same exact thing
>>
File: 17738.jpg (485 KB, 1000x1378) Image search: [Google]
17738.jpg
485 KB, 1000x1378
>>43747868
>Best Dark Rit is fifth edition.
Nope.
>>
>>43755568
>>43755603

It's exactly the same thing as Zombie Hunt.

>Dirt cheap for the format
>Mulls to a copy of a key card
>Confuses the shit out of your opponent
>Loses to targeted discard
>Loses to counter-magic
>Loses to Krosan Grip
>Can still take games off top tier decks

There's more room to add spice than in Zombie Hunt, though. I like the versions that sideboard into Living Death and kill with a horde of terrible cycling creatures.
>>
File: fistpump.gif (890 KB, 250x208) Image search: [Google]
fistpump.gif
890 KB, 250x208
>>43755667

I just found a Fluctuator list that includes Mortal Combat as a wincon.

I'm dying here.
>>
>>43755838
ebin
>>
>>43755655
That fucking eye just looks like it was done by a grade-schooler, I can't take it seriously. My favorite will always be this, mostly fueled by nostalgia
>>
File: Image.jpg (29 KB, 226x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
29 KB, 226x311
>>43755932
>Forgetting the image
Good job, me
>>
Looking for sb critiques/suggestions for my ANT deck
3 abrupt decay
2 chain of vapor
2 surgical extraction
2 flusterstorm
2 dread of night
1 massacre
2 xantid swarm
1 empty the warrens
>>
>>43755989
I'd drop the surgicals for another xantid swarm and maybe another decay. I don't think you really need grave hate. You can try to just race almost any graveyard deck, and Reanimator is barely played lately so you can just hope to dodge that matchup.
>>
>>43756066

>Reanimator barely played

I've been seeing it a lot on MTGO, lately. It put up decent results at GP Seatac, so it might be some bandwagoning.

Or I just have weird luck. That's also possible.
>>
Who /xmage/ here?
>>
>>43756350
It's still good, but it just isn't what it used to be. I mean yeah, it didn't have the force that was Griselbrand back when it was doing shit like reanimating Sphinx and Inkwell, but it also didn't have NEARLY the hate. Its bad hands could fight through post-sideboard games a decent amount of the time back when the only thing used against it was LotV and Tormod's, and nobody ran maindeck DRS.
>>
>>43756503

Very true. WotC printed a huge string of powerful grave hate from Shadowmoor all the way to RtR.

>Wheel of Sun and Moon
>Relic of Progenitus
>Bojuka Bog
>Nihil Spellbomb
>Grafdigger's Cage
>Deathrite Shaman
>Rest in Peace

I'm not sad to see dredge out of Tier 1 in Legacy, but it's gotten pretty fringe at this point.
>>
>From the Ashes

Thoughts? I'm thinking of putting it in my Miracles board instead of Bloodmoon since I have so many basics.
>>
File: 162.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
So, Legacy players, I'd like ask what your opinion is of Snuff Out.
>>
>>43757334
It's pretty good in NicFit. And by good I mean a horrible blowout for all Delver decks and a lot of other decks.
>>
>>43757612

I like it. I'd run it over Dismember if I was playing one of those kind of lists.

It hits everything important except... Griselbrand and Deathrite?
>>
>>43757612
I don't think it's particularly playable in most of the meta decks. The decks playing Dismember don't always have a swamp, and the decks that do have swamp usually have access to Decay, which gets nearly all of the same stuff. Not hitting DRS is kinda a big deal.
>>
>>43757612
A bit too cute imo
>>
File: MUDNew 001 (Large).jpg (763 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
MUDNew 001 (Large).jpg
763 KB, 2304x1728
fuck yeah robots
>>
>>43758413
Where are your 3spheres m8?
>>
>>43757612
I use two in WB Torpornaught as part of my oddball removal scheme. It's a great card.
>>
>>43758413

Can someone explain Grim Monolith to me? I've never seen it used in play so I don't quite get the appeal of an artifact that takes more mana to untap than you get with it, unless it's like a one-time use kinda thing.
>>
>>43758960
T1: Ancient Tomb/CoT, Grim Monolith
T2: Land, Wurmcoil Engine.
That's probably not even the best scenario.
>>
>>43758413
Is pithing needle-sac land a thing you could add to your deck? I don't play legacy.
>>
File: WelderCurrent 001 (Large).jpg (796 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
WelderCurrent 001 (Large).jpg
796 KB, 2304x1728
>>43759060
>pithing needle-sac land a thing

Not sure I understand - is this a new card?

>>43758960
Sol Land > Monolith > Metalworker turn 1. 8 Mana on turn 2 lets you Ugin or something equally silly. Works well with Goblin Welder too, as you can cycle out the tapped ones for shit in the yard (Sunderings, Spines, etc),

>>43758626
Elsewhere. What would you drop for them?
>>
File: 129.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
129.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
I've always been partial to the colors green and white and enchantments. Are there any folks here who play Enchantress? How does the deck treat you? What tech do you run so you don't just roll over to combo? Any Theros cards catch your attention?
>>
File: EnchantressLegacy 001 (Large).jpg (731 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
EnchantressLegacy 001 (Large).jpg
731 KB, 2304x1728
>>43759888
It's like Solitaire. If you can get going it's very hard to stop you. Lots of nice maindeck bullets to fuck with people if you choose. Kinda boring to play though.
>>
>>43759954

Dang! I was hoping it'd be a bit more interactive with the opponent. Ah well, thanks!
>>
File: Moat 001 (Large).jpg (638 KB, 1728x2304) Image search: [Google]
Moat 001 (Large).jpg
638 KB, 1728x2304
>>43759995
There's always Parfait if you want something a bit more dynamic. It's predominantly mono-white though.
>>
>>43760035

Ah, I forgot Parfait existed, actually. That might be more my speed. Thanks!
>>
>>43759888
>Enchantress
I'm with LSV on this one.

Also, if I wanted to do goofy shit with enchantments, I'd play Leylines.
>>
What's the best art for basics and why is it mirage?
>>
File: 151.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
151.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
>>43761262
>>
File: 152.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>43761542
>>
>>43761262
Does anyone else get pissed off that half of the swamp art is just "a dark building" or a bunch of black tentacles and not actually art of a swamp
>>
>>43746468
go on home, modernpoor. go on home
>>
>>43761593

I'm just confused why half the plains are flying somehow.
>>
>>43761262
agreed.

I play Reanimator, Goblins, Storm, and Black Stax
>>
>>43763555
that's what planes often do senpai.
>>
>>43748311

I've never had the pleasure, but I've had some pretty sweet outta-nowhere wins.

Playing against Miracles(?): resolved Jace with 11 counters kept fatesealing everything worthwhile until I topdecked a Ponder, found PiF, and flashback'd about five Rituals I'd played earlier when trying to go off.

Also, played Xantid Swarm into countermagic, then Preordained out a natural Tendrils.

The one that I remember most fondly, though, was watching everything get countered, then, when I was around three life, topdecking a Cabal Ritual, flashback PiF, and just unloading.
>>
>>43761593

Fun fact: Snow-Covered Swamps aren't covered in snow.
>>
>>43747924

>False Cure
>AnT player casts Tendrils for 24
>You still die before the False Cure kills the AnTMan
>>
>>43765730

Not actually, if they have less life than you, they die because each tendrils copy resolves separately and triggers its own False Cure trigger that resolves before the next copy.
>>
>>43759440
I'd drop the Dynamos for 3spheres myself, 31 mana sources feels excessive for MUD when you're running posts
>>
>>43766194
>if they have less life than you, they die
That's usually true, but not always. If the False Cure player has an even life total that is one higher than the ANT player's, then the ANT player still wins.
>>
File: tuKaGyM.jpg (55 KB, 625x470) Image search: [Google]
tuKaGyM.jpg
55 KB, 625x470
>>43766391
>>
>>43746416
Even the cheap formats are unnecessarily expensive. Why would I pay more for horribly designed cards with ugly borders and art, that's only usable in dead formats?
I'd rather play Pokemon. Screw it, I'd rather go full weaboo and learn YuGiOh.
>>
File: I_do_not_care.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
I_do_not_care.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>43767835

Go have fun with your shittier card game instead of shitposting on 4chan.
>>
File: 180px-Tabernacle.jpg (13 KB, 180x147) Image search: [Google]
180px-Tabernacle.jpg
13 KB, 180x147
What is your dream deck fa/tg/uys? Pic related.
>>
File: LandsProper 001 (Large).jpg (751 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
LandsProper 001 (Large).jpg
751 KB, 2304x1728
>>43768407
Lands is pretty fucking fun.

>No Groves, Depths or Punishings ;_;
>>
>>43767835
>Cheap formats
You mean modern because standard has gotten super inflated for no reason. With even worse fucking cards than before.
>>
>>43768480
I wouldn't even consider Modern a cheap format considering all the chase shite that gets printed in recent sets.

Pauper's where it's at.
>>
>>43768462

Is your win con really just Tar Pit? Academy prevented mill out? I see that you've put together a decent semi-budget list without punishing fire, but it seems like losing game 1 is gg because game 2 will just go to time.
>>
>>43768682
>Is your win con really just Tar Pit?

Tar Pit/Factory beats or just forcing a concession. Since you can continually recur the manlands they become hard to deal with.

>semi-budget list

nigger please.
>>
>>43768709

I guess, but my point about going to time still stands.

Also, the cost is cut down to around that of a delver list, that's budget for lands. Also just buy damn groves and depths
>>
File: AngelStompy 001 (Large).jpg (713 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
AngelStompy 001 (Large).jpg
713 KB, 2304x1728
>>43768729
Fair point, the list pictured is old anyway, certainly pre-Innistrad, or before Punishing Grove became a thing anyway.

As much as i'd like Groves/Depths/Gambles, etc, it all comes to about 570 bucks. maybe a very long-term project, or a Christmas one then.

This list was pretty fun to play.
>>
>>43768462
At least you have your tabernacle.
>>
>>43768519
This.

The jew slaying format is pauper, and the kike killing deck is dredge.
>>
>>43759440
Mate, trinisphere is pretty damn important in MUD.

Turn 1 trinisphere pretty much buys all the time you ever going to need to build board.
>>
File: WP_20151121_001[1].jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20151121_001[1].jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
>>43768910
I like Stax too, but I play a homebrew Black version. Actually won against the white version yesterday
>>
Doesn't hit DRS, nor Bob. The card used to see play in ultra aggresive BUG Delver lists but even them changed them for Disfigure or dismember
>>
File: Stax 001 (Large).jpg (133 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Stax 001 (Large).jpg
133 KB, 1024x768
>>43772493
What are those cards beside Braids? I don't recognise them.

Wish I had an Abyss or Nether Void :(
>>
Alright /tg/ I just got hired to a position making that mad skrilla. I have mono-b pox built on sweat blood and tears (mostly blood and sweat, landscaping) what's a deck I should build with my newfound wealth? I'm not building miracles or delver until I know legacy better
>>
>>43772589
monobrown.
>>
>>43772589
miracles

delver
>>
>>43772493

4x Ophiomancer? I love it.
>>
>>43772688

This is why I fucking love legacy. Strategies are always: Do some dirty shit -> with the game with 2/2's while your opponent can't do shit.
>>
>>43772541
Its Toxic deluge.
>>
>>43772589
do you want a deck like pox or something completely different?
>>
>>43772589
play storm
>>
>>43773752
I like that it's the second most powerful format, and the first most likely to end games with a 2/1 creature attacking 10 times
>>
>>43775660
>play vintage dredge
>Win the game with zombie tokens
WHO'S CASUAL KITCHEN TABLE TRIBAL NOW?!
>>
>>43775690
>play shardless BUG
>gray ogre beatdown is my main wincon
>>
Im looking to sell my mtgo collection and buy into legacy, any idea where I could do that
>>
>>43775825
craigslist probably.

Nice to see this thread still alive and kicking weakly. Stuck around much longer than I thought it would when I made it.
>>
>>43772589
play sneak and show, the deck doesn't require a lot of knowledge of the format, piss easy to play, powerful, and a lot of the cards slot into miracles and delver easily.
>>
File: 20151122_193146.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
20151122_193146.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
BEHOLD THE MAJESTY
>>
>>43779157
shit why is it vertical i swear I uploaded the horizontal version.
>>
>>43779157
Do you burp in their face after a belcher kill?
>>
>>43778893
I don't think there's much of a legacy presence on here. Might just be that most of the people I play legacy at least with are older folks? Just a guess.
>>
>>43779964
I haven't but I should.
>>
>>43780028
I don't know about legacy but when I play vintage it's mostly with grown-ass men. Married with kids and shit.
>>
>>43780128
When I played standard it was mostly younger people. I do think different formats attract different crowds.
>>
>>43779157
Fuck people like you for making me buy a full set of Force of Wills.
>>
>>43780911
What I like about legacy it's although those decks do exist, the field is open enough that you can still play whatever you want
>>
>>43780641

I mean, who's gonna afford FoWs as a 16 year old?
>>
Anyone know of a place to play Legacy around NH or northern MA?
>>
>>43781907
If you're near Worcester that's e has a really good scene
>>
>>43781779
True. Same person who could afford 4 jaces, but still
>>
>>43781940
I've heard of the place, but didn't know they had much for magic events. It is a bit of a haul for me though. I live near Portsmouth NH. All the local gaming stores are all Limited, all the time. I drive an hour once a week to get to a halfway-decent modern group.
>>
>>43768910
Needs 4x Moat
>>
>>43780911
just buy misdirection for now, and upgrade later, it still hits a lot of the useful spells
>>
>>437531 i play against my friends rg lands deck a decent amount and it seems like a really good deck.
>>
File: image.png (119 KB, 600x299) Image search: [Google]
image.png
119 KB, 600x299
Going to my first big legacy event next week in Somerset. Bringing this. Any Miracles players out there willing to help me refine the list?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-10-15-miracles/
>>
>>43784299

2x Councils in the main at least is too many. You only want it every now and then and otherwise you want to not run into it too often.

Also wtf are you doing with Helm of Obedience?
>>
>>43758413
Oh I played against a similar deck today at a tournament

It did not like RB Reanimator, all in all he went like 2-10 against it after getting destroyed in the actual match
>>
>>43784359
I figured running two judgements as a general catch all didn't seem too bad, but I could see how it would get awkward. As for helm, I thought having the helm/RIP combo out of the board would be cute for potentially closing out games faster if I'm short on time, but maybe it's fallen out of favor. What would you suggest tweaking as far as those slots and anything else weird that you noticed?
>>
>>43784648
I think the if you want riphelm maindeck you could change from a miracles build to an enlightened tutor build, but I don't think that's what you're looking to do
>>
>>43784648

Oh, lol, I was looking for Leyline and didn't see RIP, my bad.

I'd suggest the 4th ponder for the Council's. Really nice to have that consistency. As for the board, I don't have too much matchup specific miracles experience to lend too much help. I will say that Mentor does a really good job of closing out games faster, if you're willing to go that route. It would probably mean cutting Supreme Verdict main tho
>>
>>43746416
>Land destruction at 0CMC
Holy shit the powerlevel of earlier sets is completely bonkers.
>>
playing ub reanimator this next weekend. anyone want to talk about it? I've posted on here a bunch of times about legacy but everyone always gets pissed off.
>>
>>43785146
or it produces a colorless untapped
>>
>>43785174
Its pretty decent, the ability to play forces gives you the ability to play the long game against control. Deathrite can be a struggle, but it isn't unbeatable
>>
Aaww seems like I came to the thread a bit late and I'm too lazy to read the rest of the comments.

I normally play Death and Taxes. Sometimes Canadian Threshold or Infect.

I always feel like when I need a land I get a spell and when I need a spell I get a land. It's getting pretty frustrating desu senpai
>>
File: Image[1].jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image[1].jpg
34 KB, 223x310
>>43785146
Nah, it's just a strictly worse version of pic related.
>>
>>43779157
based
>>
>>43772688
yep they are great for feeding smokey or braids
>>
>>43784648
why not running Monastery Mentor like newer Miracles list do? also the predict tech is pretty old and isn't as good as it sounds
>>
>>43759015
t1 AT/CoT - Grim monolith, Trinisphere
>>
>>43789243
I ran two Mentors for about a month and found them to sometimes make my Terminus really awkward. I was considering putting them back in if the draw-go version looked to janky.
>>
You Storm people who attack with weakassed Xantids and jerk spells, and you soft deck players with your 2/1s and yawn play, all need to embrace the Tin Fins. Deck makes yo dick bigger
>>
>>43789577
>shits on storm players
>plays tin fins
Smh desu senpai

Also no-land Belcher cross will really make your dick bigger. See >>43779157
>>
File: SuicideBlack 001 (Large).jpg (719 KB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
SuicideBlack 001 (Large).jpg
719 KB, 2304x1728
who /oldschool/ here
>>
>>43790777
Hatred is my cardfu!
>>
>>43790777
The format is cool but most of my playgroup started post-zendikar and don't have old school cards.
>>
File: IMG_1243.jpg (418 KB, 1460x1256) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1243.jpg
418 KB, 1460x1256
Does this card fly in this format?
>>
File: Stompy 001 (Large).jpg (121 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Stompy 001 (Large).jpg
121 KB, 1024x768
>>43791990
Old school is best.
>>
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/no-reserved-list-legacy

Would you play Legacy without reserved cards?
>>
>>43792159
Yes, this is a skill intensive format.
>>
>>43746765
Mirage is #2

Favorite is masques dark ritual
>>
>>43792034
Its wings aren't angled back enough. Fold them another time.
>>
>>43792034

>Imperial Recruiter
you monster!
>>
>>43792159

Shit like this makes me glad that I haven't all-in'd on dual lands for future deck plans.
>>
>>43792159
Yes. One question, is wizards barred from doing functional reprints of cards?
>>
>>43792159
Seems to me like death and taxes would be absurdly strong in that environment, with literally everything else eating major nerfs.
>>
File: Precure_Nothanks.png (403 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
Precure_Nothanks.png
403 KB, 600x446
>>43792159
>turn legacy into modern
>>
>>43794866
>the only difference between legacy and modern is duals vs. shockduals.
And that people can actually afford to play modern.
>>
>>43794866
he already countered that point you dingbat
>>
File: PrecureEyes.gif (473 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
PrecureEyes.gif
473 KB, 640x360
>>43795127
>no mud or storm
>IT'S BETTER WE SWEARS IT
kuso format for kuso players

>>43794995
>implying some people don't own both
>>
>>43794349
They remade the reserve list in 2010 to include functional reprints, so yes.
>>
>>43795249
>IT'S BETTER WE SWEARS IT
But he never says or implies that. The point of the idea is to compromise a good format with wizards jewry intentions, not to try to make legacy actually better.
>>
>>43792034
Why do people do this?
"Haha I wasted 300$ U mad bro?"

Congratulations, you are wasting money. I truly don't understand.
>>
>>43796236
Well to be fair the card is still usable, just not resaleable
>>
>>43792159
no, it sucks ass
>>
Honestly, I wouldn't even bother playing shocks if they tried this bullshit. I'd just find something that can play basics and use BFZ lands over taking 6 extra damage.
>>
>>43798206
That actually might be decent for miracles or storm
>>
>>43798302

that's what I'm doing now for miracles as a budget option and it's almost never an issue
>>
>>43792159

>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/no-reserved-list-legacy

Whoever wrote that article is pretty stupid.

>[on Lion's Eye Diamond] Primarily a card in Storm decks, losing access to Black Lotus would be a huge blow to the deck. I do expect the archetype would still be playable.
>Lands, which has recently emerged as one of the best decks in the format....
>The loss of City of Traitors might have the biggest impact on the format.

Don't believe everything you read, kids! That's what Modern players do.
>>
>>43792074

man, I want to build 8-land stompy. I just need to knuckle under and spring for the Elvish Spirit Guides. I have the Simian Spirit Guides, just not the Elvish ones...
>>
>>43799261
It does make some good points. Like that wizards isn't actually making money on legacy, so they have to do something about the reserve list
>>
>>43792159

The bulk of my list isn't on the reserved list, so it wouldn't hurt what I'm doing.

I'd miss dunking on people with Humility, though.
>>
>>43799394

Yeah, but that's pretty widely acknowledged by everyone who doesn't have a full set of Legacy staples, doesn't like Standard because it's awful, and can see that Wizzerds's attempts to police Modern are weakening, not strengthening, the format.

The problem is that those people aren't of a unified vision: they either try to stick with Legacy, they go into Commander, or they write terrible articles on the Tubes that clearly make controversial statements to try and make a shot-in-the-dark prediction about how the future of the game will go. (I'd bet thousands of dollars that City of Traitors would not be the most impactful nonland card for the format to lose. That would be Force of Will.)

Didn't people say Legacy was dead within a year of the format's being created, anyway? That's been the refrain from everyone who doesn't realize that it's a better investment than any other format and that it's a lot more fun than Modern or Standard (I don't deign to mention Commander here), even if one's losing. I'd believe the format to be dying if the cards were even more expensive and if the most expensive cards were playable in (and fundamental to building) a wide variety of decks, but neither is the case.
>>
>>43799666

>the most powerful card

fix'd
>>
>>43799666
>Didn't people say Legacy was dead within a year of the format's being created, anyway?

Most people will describe a format as dead as soon as they are no longer interested in playing it.
>>
>>43792159

OMFG.

"Storm would be less powerful without Lion's Eye Diamond, but it would be far more powerful than the Modern version...."

In other words,

>"This Legacy deck would be terrible, but it would be more playable than a Modern deck in Legacy."
>>
>>43799666
Force of Will isn't on the reserve list
>>
>>43799384

wut
>>
>>43799750

the modern version is shit tier in a shit tier format anyway
>>
>>43799840

True enough. But what point would there be in nixing every reserved card from Legacy but leaving other (often BETTER) cards to fill in for them? Especially when those cards would become even more dominant in a newly underpowered format.
>>
>>43799904

Modern Storm player here. This is entirely correct.
>>
>>43799840

One wonders why the Hell it isn't.

For that matter, one wonders why the Hell the reserved list is even a thing, given that there are plenty of cards that Wizards has claimed it will never reprint (including boneheaded choices like counterspell) yet aren't on the reserved list.
>>
>>43799929
>But what point would there be in nixing every reserved card from Legacy but leaving other (often BETTER) cards to fill in for them
see >>43795980
>>43799990
>one wonders why the Hell the reserved list is even a thing
You shouldn't wonder this if you have any idea what the reserve list is.
>>
>>43799990

have you tried using your fingers to type into google so your eyes can read what it is you're even talking about? or is this asking too much?
>>
Why don't I see many (any?) decks playing Dack Fayden? I know legacy doesn't have the same artifact density as Vintage, but he still seems a good card that wins the game with Notion Thief (which I guess doesn't see as much play for costing 4, but still good).
>>
>>43792159
I do. Death and Taxes does not play a single card on the reserved list.

Don't give a shit if my opponents have access to the list or not either, but having a lower barrier of entry and thus more opponents sure would be nice.
>>
>>43803329
Do we just win the format? Playing shocklands into port/wasteland sounds like a utter nightmare.
Also, does flickerwisp punish shocklands the way I think it does?
>>
>>43803786
>does flickerwisp punish shocklands the way I think it does?

if you mean they're tapped? ye
>>
>>43803786
>Also, does flickerwisp punish shocklands the way I think it does?

Oh yes, yes it does.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.